Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

IMG 2283   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

It’s my party and I’ll cry eat delicious cupcakes if I want to!

Ok, it’s not technically my party, but it is my girlfriend’s birthday tomorrow and we’re have a girl’s get together for lunch. I was ever so politely asked (note: begged) to bring a dessert along and I have had cupcakes on my mind ever since!

It feels like forever since I have made cupcakes (which probably means 2 weeks in my world) and I knew I had to do something to remedy this situation.

Liz loves cupcakes. I love cupcakes. Other people love cupcakes. It’s a win-win-win. Beat that Team Sheen.

Cupcakes, to me, are a triple threat. They are one of my favourite desserts to bake (easy), decorate (fun + easy), and photograph. You really can’t screw up a photograph with a cupcake in it!

It’s impossible.

On second thought…sometimes cupcake photos can turn out like poo-poo

IMG 2161   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

I present the ever-horrifying chocolate turd cupcake.

In all my excitement, I didn’t realize that I had piped perfectly formed turds on my beloved cupcakes until after I uploaded the photos.

It was not a proud moment.

Eric and I could not stop giggling at them. Seriously. It was bad.

Shits ‘n giggles?

IMG 2142b   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

Luckily, I redeemed myself with these delicious Chocolate cupcakes topped with fluffy sweet clouds of frosting and a fruity raspberry glaze. They are a fun cupcake to bring to any Spring or Summer gathering because they are just so light and fluffy with a hint of fruit on top. Gathering or not, you should make them just because you are special. That should be reason enough!

IMG 2310   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

I love cupcakes because the batter can be thrown together in just a few minutes. This recipe doesn’t get any easier too. It is literally- 1) Mix wet, 2) Sift in dry, 3) Mix. 4) Scoop.

IMG 2249   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

print this recipe!

Adapted from the famous eggless chocolate cake recipe. <—awesome!!

Cupcake Ingredients:

• 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used Vanilla Almond milk)
  • 1 cup sugar (I used natural cane sugar)
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (or other oil)
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp pure almond extract (optional, but awesome)
  • 1.5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted (I used Dutch-process)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp kosher salt, to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. With an electric mixer, beat together the following ingredients in a large bowl (non-dairy milk, oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, almond extract). Beat on medium speed for a minute or two.

2. Now sift in the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt). Mix well, until the clumps are gone.

3. Spoon the batter into prepared cupcake pan, about two thirds full for each. Bake for about 22 minutes at 350F, or until the cupcake slowly springs back when pressed with a finger. Allow to completely cool before frosting.

4. LICK THE BOWL!

My Aunt got me hooked on this famous eggless chocolate cake recipe years and years ago! I adapted it only slightly. It always seems to turn out no matter how I make it!

IMG 2228   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

These cupcakes are chocolaty, fluffy, and flavourful with a hint of almond and vanilla.

IMG 2237   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. wlEmoticon redheart   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

IMG 2260   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

I thought I would show you how I like to pipe my cupcakes!

My favourite decorating tip in the entire world is the very large Wilton 1A tip, as shown below. It eats small tips for breakfast. And you don’t need a coupler either!

IMG 2234   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

1) To use, simply insert the tip into a pastry bag. Snip off the end of the bag so the tip fits through (as shown above).

2) Now place the pastry bag into a tall glass to hold it up and fold down the sides around the glass (image left).

3) Fill the bag with frosting and carefully twist the end of the bag tightly (image right). Secure the end with a rubber band, if desired.

IMG 2236   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry GlazeIMG 2259   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

Now you are ready to pipe delicious, fluffy mounds of frosting! Don’t be scared, it is easy! You can always do a couple practice trials too and don’t worry they don’t have to look perfect.

To pipe, start near the centre of the cupcake, squeezing the frosting out evenly working your way up the cupcake in circles. I like to make 3 tiers for an extravagant effect.

This is a great how-to video!

Fluffy clouds of heaven.

IMG 2269   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze IMG 2272   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

You can stop right there or you can top them with a glaze if you are feeling frisky like I was.

I saved a bit of the frosting (~1/2 cup) and I made a raspberry glaze. I mashed about 5-6 fresh raspberries with a fork and mixed it with the frosting. The raspberries release a bit of water and the frosting thins out into a lovely glaze that you can drip over the cupcakes. It added a lovely hint of raspberry to the cupcakes that paired well with the chocolate and almond flavours!

IMG 2286   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

Of course, I was ‘forced’ to taste-test before giving them to Liz.

I slowly unwrapped the corners of the liner, revealing a chocolaty cupcake…

IMG 23101   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

I slid the fork through each layer of fluffy frosting…

IMG 2313   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

And I devoured every last crumb!

IMG 2320   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

After devouring this cupcake in a blissed out trance, I deemed they were birthday quality, which is sort of a shame because I wanted to keep all of them. I am comforted knowing that tomorrow I will be able to enjoy another at lunch. ;)

Sweet Dreams.wlEmoticon birthdaycake   Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

staceyhealthylife March 9, 2011

Those look pretty and delicious. Even the chocolate one’s. LOL

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness of Life March 9, 2011

Haha! Chocolate Turd Cupcakes. Awesome. That is too funny! But this is kind of torturous because I have decided to do a little cleanse and cut sugar out of my diet. But all I want to do is make those cupcakes and eat lots of them!

my little celebration March 9, 2011

YUM! Those look fantastic!!!

rachel March 9, 2011

these look gorgeous. you are seriously a master in the kitchen!

Shanna March 9, 2011

These are gorgeous, like something you’d see in a magazine! Well except the turd ones…thanks for the AM laugh!

Stefanie March 9, 2011

They almost look to pretty to eat but I will get over that. :)

starla garcia March 9, 2011

yaay another sweet recipe! they look heavenly
i really want to make them, but i dont have apple cide vinger…do u think apple juice would work?

starla garcia March 9, 2011

yaay another sweet recipe! they look heavenly

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011

The original recipe that my aunt uses can be successfully used with distilled white vinegar. :)

Sarah March 9, 2011

I am hijacking this comment page as I could not find another way to send you a genral question about another recipe. I am going to make the Portabella Mushroom Pizzas for a friend as a meal that she can later heat up for herself. So I will be making in advance and refrigerating it for several hours. What would be your recommendation for heating it from that cold state? Thanks so much. I love, love your blog. The cupcakes will be the next treat I try out on my husband :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011

I would reheat them in the oven. Maybe placed on a baking sheet and reheated at 325-350, watching closely (the tops can burn easily). Goodluck!

Angelique March 9, 2011

I need to make a dessert today for a school fundraiser, and had no clue what to make and ta-da! your blog post appeared! These look perfect! Every little girl is going to want to buy one of these princessey cupcakes — the glaze looks awesome. Thanks for rescuing me!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 9, 2011

Holy cupcake these look so good! First the chocolate cake, then the fluffy clouds and even some sweet raspberries?! Girl you out did yourself. Please never stop doing that :)

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle March 9, 2011

amazing. THese look so great!

Blythe Doole March 9, 2011

Amazing post….the poop cakes are hilarious!!!! It was my birthday yesterday so I think I’ll be baking up some of these tonight as a little birthday present for myself!! The photos are absolutely STUNNING!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011

happy bday!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 9, 2011

All I can say about these is…YUM!!!! :-)

Alex @ Healing Beauty March 9, 2011

WOW. That’s all I can say. These look amazing and the photography is beautiful!

Aly March 9, 2011

I absolutely LOVE cupcake photos. I don’t have a blog, but I take pictures of everything I bake. Tons of cupcake pictures! I just think they’re beautiful. I’ve been debating uploading an album onto facebook just to share them with the world, but I’m pretty sure my friends will think I’m crazy! Anyway, I completely agree, and these cupcakes look delicious.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011

you should…I LOVE looking at pics of cupcakes!

laura March 9, 2011

These cupcakes look so pretty! They could be found in a specialty bakeshop :)

Lauren March 9, 2011

Wow, these cupcakes look good. At home I usually watch Cupcakes Wars on the Food Network and I love it when vegan cupcakes win! Right now I am studying in Spain and while the pastries are good, I could definitely use one of these cupcakes! Since I am deprived of the Food Network for a couple of months, I have become an avid food blog follower. I love your food and I can’t wait until I cook some of your recipes at home in a few months!

Amy March 9, 2011

Wow, those are totally – winning!

sarah March 9, 2011

My 6 year old just saw me looking at this post and declared we must make them this second! I decided to use a new flower shaped muffin pan I just got at Zehrs–bad idea :(. The cupcakes are divine, except for the fact that they are cupcake top cakes–the tops all flipped off when I tried to flip them onto my cooling rack. I blame the pan!!! Anyways, we can give your turd cupcakes good competition–ours turned out to be vanilla turd cupcake tops with tons of sprinkles, I should send you a pic, you would feel better…
The recipe is fab though and my daughter loves the icing, so thank you for some laughs and a good mom/daughter day in the kitchen! We giggled lots…

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011

I too have tried one of those oddly shaped cupcake tins before and mine never turned out properly either…I’m not sure what the secret is to them! Glad to hear they were enjoyed regardless though, that is what matters!

Sam (the neurotic yogini) March 9, 2011

Those cupcakes are just WAY too pretty!! Pink and white go so well together, don’t you think? :)

And it ‘s funny you said that about the poop cupcakes.. I saw the pic and thought to myself “Does she know these look like sh…” and then I read on ;) HILARIOUS!

Shits n giggles. Lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011

haha!

Lisa March 9, 2011

I would scarf down those chocolate cupcakes in a second!!

Alaina March 9, 2011

Haha, you are too funny. :-) And those cupcakes look delicious!

Amber K March 9, 2011

They look totally delicious! The turd cupcakes remind me of the many CakeWrecks.com blogs about turd frosting. LOL I don’t like chocolate frosting, so that already doesn’t help with the idea of eating what looks like pooed-on cupcakes. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011

I submitted it to cakewrecks this AM, as suggested by a reader above! haha

Amber K March 9, 2011

lol!! Perfect

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 9, 2011

those. look. awesome.

AND I’m pretty sure, although it does look like poopies, I’d still rabidly consume that chocolate cuppycake. ;) Y-U-M.

LauraJayne March 9, 2011

Right or wrong, I still think those “turd” cupcakes look delicious! It woudn’t even have occurred to me if you hadn’t pointed it out!

Amanda (Sweet and Savory Vegan) March 9, 2011

I love the combination of chocolate, almond, and raspberry. Delicious.

Sarah @ veggie-kids.blogspot.com/ March 9, 2011

Great-now I have a serious craving for something sweet!! Wow-those look amazing. I recently made a vegan chocolate birthday cake for my son with vegan buttercream frosting and it turned out so yummy. But I love the almond extract you added for more flavor. I’ll try that next time! Now, I’m off to find something to satisfy this craving…

Sarah

barefoot and frolicking March 9, 2011

oh my GORGEOUS! Such lovely, beautiful cupcakes. Love the colors :)

Roz March 9, 2011

OK…color me childish, but even before I started reading and saw the photo of the chocolate, I snickered to myself because they looked like poop. And now I’m going to zip over to cake wrecks and check them out too. Poopy ones and REAL ones, they all look delicous.

Jared March 9, 2011

Gorgeous looking! I recently made cupcakes and understand it is immense work, but the reward is worth it.

sharalei March 9, 2011

I am sitting in finance class, drooling on my desk. Thanks Angela!

Clare @ Fitting It All In March 9, 2011

Ahh torture since I just gave up chocolate for lent. Those are the BEST birthday gift a girl could hope for!

katie March 9, 2011

Wow! These look amazing! I have to say the turd ones I bet were tasty too! lol! I KNOW your girlfriend was the luckiest birthday girl EVER to get these cupcakes! U are a great friend!!! U are a excellent baker! U really need a cookbook ! I cant believe you dont have one yet! I love yours and Mama Peas amazing recipes!!!!!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011

haha yes the turds were tasty! Not as good as the chocolate ones though! Thanks for your kind words.

Katey @ Bonne Santé March 9, 2011

I would have eaten the dog-poo ones! Just sayin’… :D

Tammy Root March 9, 2011

Hi Ange,
Your post looks so amazing I just had to make those cupcakes. YUMMY!!!!!! I did not put frosting on (didn’t have all the ingredients). But, I was wondering if you have the nutritional information for just the cupcake. I am keeping a food log to monitor nutrient intake and would like to add the information. I understand if you are way too busy though. You have a lot of comments and can’t possibly get to them all. Thanks so much,
Tammy

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011

Hey Tammy! I have not calculated the nutritional info for the cupcakes, but I use this program called Nutrition Data: http://nutritiondata.self.com/ It is decent and works well, but they dont always have all the ingredients.

Ali March 9, 2011

Hi Angela,

How do you store your cupcakes? I am vegan and have decided to make my own wedding cupcakes (luckily it is a smaller wedding!) and I’m planning to use one of your fabulous recipes. I have to make them a day or two ahead of time (I’ll frost them the day of) but I was wondering if you usually freeze them or just store them on the counter for a few days.

Thanks! I love your blog, by the way!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011

Hey Ali!

I put these cupcakes in the fridge (in a container)…generally cupcakes don’t last longer than 1-2 days, and then they dry out quite a bit. I have not tried freezing them before though, but maybe there is some info online from others who have baked a bunch for a wedding! Goodluck :)

kaila @ healthy helper! March 9, 2011

these are the prettiest cupcakes ever! not turd like in the slightest! nothing chocolate could ever be likened to pooo!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite March 9, 2011

Ooooh my goodness.I’m not vegan, but I’d devour these any day!! I also did that with chocolate icing once. My husband made me fix them a bit before he’d let me bring them anywhere :)

Annette @ EnjoyYOURHealthyLife March 9, 2011

Holy yum!! I love this post :)

Page 3 of 5«12345»