Avocados and Mustard Seeds

IMG 1620   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

There are many bloggers who inspire my crazy passion for writing, photography, and recipe creation. One of the very first blogs I came across was Heidi Swanson’s blog, 101 Cookbooks. Heidi has been blogging since 2003 (!), gracing the Internet with her gorgeous photography, natural food recipes, and tales of life, travels, and her favourite cookbooks.

Heidi sums up her website by saying,

‘When you own over 100 cookbooks, it is time to stop buying, and start cooking. This site chronicles a cookbook collection, one recipe at a time.’

And did she ever.

Since she started blogging, Heidi has written a few cookbooks: Cook 1.0Super Natural Cooking and her most recent due out in April 2011, Super Natural Every Day…(not to mention the immense recipe collection on her blog!)

IMG 1589   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

I have always enjoyed Heidi’s natural food approach to cooking and I eagerly await her posts every week, excited to put my own vegan spin on them. One of my favourite recipes that I made from her blog are these Carrot Cake Cookie Bites. These babies were actually vegan to begin with too.

20101120IMG 1224 thumb   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

(If you haven’t made them yet, you must!)

This week, Heidi released 6 ‘teaser’ recipes for her upcoming cookbook Super Natural Every Day and I just about died from excitement. The teaser recipes show just how beautiful her work is and the attention to detail she has when writing a cookbook. I can’t wait to pick up my own copy in April!

Naturally, I had to try one of the recipes as soon as I downloaded the PDF.

And then I realized that sometimes the world just gives you two perfectly ripe avocados and the perfect recipe falls into your lap.

Today was one of those days.

IMG 1614   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

I ended up adapting this recipe to suit what I had in my fridge and it still turned out fabulous. Be sure to check out the original recipe if you want to follow it to a tee. I was really happy with how this version turned out.

IMG 1575b   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

Gently mash the avocado, salt, and lemon juice together, making sure to leave it chunky.

It is important that your avocados are perfectly ripe (no pressure though! ha). They need to be nice and soft (but without brown spots). This helps the avocado blend well with the other ingredients…and just taste fabulous.

IMG 1579   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

Don’t worry though, if your avocados have a couple small brown spots…just as long as they aren’t bitter tasting from over-ripeness you should be good!

In a skillet over medium heat, add in the coconut oil (or Heidi also suggests clarified butter). Once the skillet is hot, add in the mustard seeds. Cover with a lid (they will POP!) and once the seeds stop popping, add in your chopped onion. Cook for a few minutes on low and then add in your garlic and curry powder. Cook for a few minutes longer.

IMG 1581   Avocados and Mustard Seeds IMG 1583   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

Meanwhile, grab a tortilla wrap (I used Food For Life Ezekiel wrap) and spread on some Earth Balance or butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder and paprika. Bake in the oven for about 6 minutes at 400F, watching very closely. It will be slightly crisp on the outer edge when ready.

IMG 1580   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

Cut into wedges with a pizza slicer.

IMG 1599   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

Mmmmm. So good.

IMG 1601   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

Once the skillet mixture is done cooking, remove from heat and stir in the avocado mixture.

IMG 1590   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

Serve immediately, warm, with crackers, chips, bread, etc.

IMG 1596   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

This. is. amazing.

It is the ultimate luxurious, creamy spread for avocado lovers. The hint of curry spice and garlic goes nicely with the freshness of the avocado and lemon. I can’t wait to try it with Cilantro too.

IMG 1604   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

It made such a fantastic snack!

IMG 1608   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

I wrapped up the leftover dip, but I see us polishing it off quickly…!

IMG 1629   Avocados and Mustard Seeds

If you want your avocado to last longer in the fridge, save the pit and store the avocado with the pit. I popped the two pits into the bowl and added a tight fitting lid. The lemon juice should also help preserve it a bit longer too!

Update: This spread started to brown after an hour or two in the fridge. Next time I think I will make a half batch. On the second day, I scraped off the brownish spread on the top and then used the remainders below (which had not browned). Apparently, you can also help preserve it by placing a small piece of plastic wrap tightly over top of the spread and then putting a lid on top.

If you are interested, Super Natural Every Day is available for pre-order on Amazon for $13.

P.S.- Dal Makhni is coming up this weekend. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 25, 2011

That looks delicious!! I am an avocado lover for sure, so I would gobble this up!

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 25, 2011

Love me some avocados!! I think avocados and sweet potatoes make one of the best combinations!

Michelle February 25, 2011

I absolutely LOVE Heidi’s blog. I actually made a resolution to cook every recipe from Super Natural Cooking…it’s turning out to be a lot harder than I imagined, but so, so fun!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher February 25, 2011

You’ve written so gracefully about Heidi, Angela. And the recipe? Well, I’m obsessed with avocados.

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy February 25, 2011

I love sandwiches with avocado and stone ground mustard on them. So something tells em I am going to LOVE this recipe.

kaila February 25, 2011

I love 101 COOKBOOKS! Heidi takes such beautiful pics…..they actually remind me a lot of yours :)! Avacados are one of my fave foods and I love guacamole so this looks like a great spin off recipe for it! Can’t wait to try it…thanks for sharing another gem!

Camille February 25, 2011

Omigosh yum! Dare I say this looks even better than standard guacamole!? :)

Picky Nicky February 25, 2011

I LOOOOVE AVOCADOS + I LOOOOOOOOOVE MUSTARD (I think I eat some at least once every day!) So I’m pretty much very excited to get my hands on some avocados so I can make this <3 :)

Hannah February 25, 2011

Oh, how funny the avocado recipe was exactly the one I wanted to make first when I downloaded Heidi’s PDF too! I’m so glad it lived up to its potential :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 25, 2011

Mmmmmmmmm, I love those little mustard seeds! They’re also great in a curry.

Baking 'n' Books February 25, 2011

I tried Ezekiel wraps before – but I find they’re hard as a rock! (I noticed you used it before for a pizza as well?) . Is it supposed to be like that – more like a cracker?

I heard of Heidi’s blog a while ago but haven’t really checked it out. She sounds like one of the original bloggers! Is that her full-time job now I assume? I am so fascinated with people who turn theirs passions into their lives. Yearning…

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 25, 2011

they look like they hold up really well without breaking too- awesome! <3

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 25, 2011

the baked tortilla that is… :)
mmm the avocado mustard combo sounds so delish!

Janel February 25, 2011

Hi Angela! Heidi was also one of the first blogs I ever read and I love her. I was SO excited to meet her last month in Portland and she had a copy of her soon-to-be-released cookbook! I got to flip through it and it is a-ma-zing. So is she – such a kind person. P.S. Can’t help but notice how GOOD your photos are looking! You’re taking some gorgeous shots. Love!

Red Deception February 26, 2011

It seems as though you can never go wrong with avocado! Delicious!

leatitia February 26, 2011

Wow, I just went to Heidi’s website and the teaser is so beautiful and.. tempting! the photography is gorgeous, that’s what I love the most about cook books. They have to inspire me to get to the kitchen with mouth watering photography!

I had no idea that putting the pit back in with the avocado helps preserve it! Thank you for that, I’ll share the tip with the girls!

I want to do my own dip because it looks delicious, but mostly because I want to hear the mustard seeds pop when I’ll cook them. ;-) I’ve never cooked with mustard seeds! Must try!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 26, 2011

That does sound good! Your avocado has the most perfect hue of green!

Alena February 26, 2011

Looks delicious. I’m always looking for ways to incorporate more avocado’s into my life :)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 26, 2011

I love this!!! :)

Charlie February 26, 2011

This looks so good! I love chunky dips :).

kim Saggio February 27, 2011

Yay! I just made this, eating it as I type. I love it! I’m a “newbie” to the whole foods / less meat movement, but loving the experiences………. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! I also started on the Green Montsters, my 4 year old has been loving them which make me so happy. THANK YOU!

Page 2 of 2«12