Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

IMG 1394   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I grew up enjoying my mom’s sweet potato casserole for every holiday and it was always a dish I just couldn’t get enough of. There is something magical about comforting and creamy sweet potatoes with an ooey gooey toasted marshmallow topping. When I started eating a vegan diet, I was determined to make a sweet potato casserole that would rock my world just like the one of my youth.

Enter: This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole.

IMG 7122   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

It has been a hit at every holiday dinner I have brought it to. No one can ever believe that it is vegan!

Yesterday morning, I was craving this sweet potato casserole in a major way.

The only snag?

It was 7:15am. I find myself in these situations quite a lot.

I looked at the sweet potato, it looked at me…I looked at it again.

And I turned that craving into breakfast.

IMG 1436   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This is hands down the BEST spin-off oatmeal I have made yet. If you make one thing this week, you gotta make this.

IMG 1400   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

The first thing you do is lightly cook the sweet potato for just 5 minutes until just fork tender. It cooks much faster if you cut it into 1 inch pieces. I used 2 cups raw sweet potato, which yields 1.5 cups cooked.

IMG 1324   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Now assemble the oatmeal ingredients:

IMG 1311b   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

For my first attempt, I used Bob’s Red Mill Kasha (roasted buckwheat) and I really did not like the texture, so I started over and used regular oats.

IMG 1328   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 1326   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This is what it made in my first attempt with kasha:

IMG 1348   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I was not a fan of the taste or texture of Kasha in this recipe. wlEmoticon brokenheart   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Back to oats!

IMG 1349   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I brought the milk, oats, and chia seeds to a boil and then reduced the heat and cooked for about 5-6 minutes. The chia seeds help soak up the milk, so if you are omitting the chia seeds you will likely have to reduce the milk.

You want it this consistency:

IMG 1350   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I used organic soy milk and it was a nice change in this oatmeal. Soy milk also pumps up the protein too. I like So Nice brand because it is organic, using non-GMO soybeans.

Now add in the cooked sweet potato and the banana and mash your little heart out with your (sa-weet) potato masher.

IMG 1353   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 1355   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

The banana and sweet potato pair wonderfully in this recipe! I left it a bit chunky because I knew my texture monster would be eating it.

Season: Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and salt.

IMG 1341   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Stir, mash, whatever you please…

IMG 1359   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 1360   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I like to use my Spurtle upside down. It works better that way.

IMG 1363   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Spread into a small 8 inch (4 cup) casserole dish. Any size will do in a pinch though!

IMG 1371   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This baker dish is from Epicure Selections.

Make the fabulous crunchy pecan topping…this topping brings the recipe to a new level.

IMG 1367b   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Mix together with a fork until very clumpy. The topping tastes so good.

IMG 1369   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Sprinkle onto the oatmeal.

IMG 1378   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Wonderful.

You may be tempted to dig right in at this point…I say go for it if you want to…but if you bake it in the oven it will taste even better. The topping will get all crispy and buttery and the pecans will toast up into a rich nutty flavour.

IMG 1383   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

After baking for 20 minutes at 350F and broiling for 2 minutes on low….golden, crispy magic happens.

IMG 1410   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This recipe is hands down the best oatmeal I have made to date…which says a lot because I really love my Carrot Cake Oatmeal, Apple Pie Oatmeal, and Pumpkin Pie VOO.

I cut it into 4 servings and proceeded to eat two of them. Naturally.

IMG 1422   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

A great thing about this recipe is that you will have leftovers that taste great cold or heated up! It’s a win-win situation here folks.

IMG 1436 21   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Much like my Carrot Cake Oatmeal, this Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole tasted amazing straight from the fridge cold with a splash of milk.

IMG 1444   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I better go stock up on more sweet potatoes.

RENO-Cation Updates:

Last night I Tweeted, ‘I think Reno-cation week may be the end of our marriage. lol’

That is all I’m going to say about that. ;)

Here is the dining room BEFORE:

IMG 94703   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 94483   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Yesterday, we shaved off the popcorn ceiling

IMG 9508   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Popcorn is truly evil. Rooms look so much cleaner (and bigger) without it.

To get the popcorn off you soak the ceiling heavily with water (we use 1/2 gallon water bottle sprayer) and shave it off with a drywall knife. Dump excess into a lined garbage pail lid and then finally into a garbage pail.

But first, lay down plastic all over the ground because it makes a HUGE mess.

8   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 9511   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

It looks so much more white after removing the popcorn! We haven’t even painted a base coat yet. Instant facelift for the room. I told Eric it looks ‘10 years younger’. ;)

7   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

After we did that, we removed all of the wooden frames and then started patching the walls with drywall compound and sanding everything down. This is the worst part by far.

Today, I’m renting a steamer from Home Depot, so I can get off this pesky wallpaper. The old water and soap trick didn’t work one bit.

IMG 9520   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Happy 26 days until SPRING! wlEmoticon hotsmile1   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole wlEmoticon sun2   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Teresa @ Teresa Tastes & Travels February 23, 2011

I cannot wait to try this! It combines two of the possibly most perfect foods ever created. :D Thanks for sharing!

Brie February 23, 2011

Thanks so much for this recipe, we made it this morning and it is AMAZING! I even brought a little to work for an afternoon snack!

Andrea February 23, 2011

I was so excited when I saw this, just had to try it right away. I used ground flax instead of chia seeds in the oatmeal mix. I don’t know why but I doubled the sweet potatoes, milk oatmeal mixture cried out for more. Because I did that the topping wasn’t enough to cover so I doubled that. I did take out the sugar and used chopped dates instead and added oatmeal also. I made this for my sugar free son, can’t wait for him to taste it, I thought it was heaven. I love your ideas even if I have to modify them a bit, a really good base for wholesome but comforting food. I did find the way it was written out a bit confusing but it doesn’t take much when I am not wearing my glasses :) That is why I love all the pictures you include, that really helps me, thanks again.

Laura @ Starting Out Fit February 23, 2011

I just finished prepping this and it’s now in the fridge waiting to be baked tomorrow morning when I wake up. I added some pineapple because we had some hanging around. Also used walnuts instead of pecans because that’s what’s in the fridge. Can’t wait to try it!! :)

Caroline February 24, 2011

My biggest complaint about my current apartment is the popcorn ceiling and walls! I can’t imagine how the look even came into style.

Sara February 24, 2011

I turned your carrot cake oatmeal into casserole following this recipe as a guideline, and am ravenously devouring [at least] half of it as I type this. I used about 2 medium carrots, shredded, maple syrup, a healthy dose of cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. I stirred in some shredded coconut, and used it as a topping with some crushed walnuts as well. It’s not as thick as the sweet potato casserole, but is sweet and has a great texture.

If I lived in the province I would make you cookies :)

Nicole February 26, 2011

I wanted to let you know I’ve made this amazing breakfast creation twice this week. My husband says he loves it more than the egg sandwich he’s been eating for his daily breakfasts ever since I’ve known him. I’m so grateful. Thank you!!

MollyB February 27, 2011

This looks SO good!! I don’t have any chia seeds so I’m going to roll with it and try soe ground flax. I also don’t have any Earth Balance around…but I’ll see what I can do and hope the best! I’m sure I can’t screw it up too badly…anything with sweet potato is delicious!

Thanks for the awesome and creative recipe!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 27, 2011

im sure it will work with ground flax too…you just might have to reduce the liquid amount slightly. Enjoy!!

Ashley February 27, 2011

This was amazing!! Thanks so much!!

Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul February 28, 2011

I cannot wait to try this casserole!
I think when I have this for breakfast I’ll achieve your glow!

Lexie February 28, 2011

I made this yesterday morning, and i agree – it is your best oatmeal creation yet. I had it this morning warmed up with some soy milk – worked perfect.

The banana is KEY to making this taste good. YUM Banana!

Maven February 28, 2011

If I were to omit the chia seeds, how much should I reduce the milk?

Also, I know that the chia seeds are “good for you,” but can you tell me the nutritional benefits of it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2011

I would just add the milk gradually as it cooks :)

As for chia seeds, I wrote about them here: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/07/15/why-you-should-try-carob-hemp-and-chia/

Hannah February 28, 2011

I made your rustic chocolate chip banana oat cake with the peanut butter glaze – my girlfriends and I LOVED IT! Have you ever considered writing a recipe book? I have to make this recipe as well! I am trying to bake things that have a high iron count – this looks amazing though.

Jenna | The Paleo Project March 1, 2011

Angela, I’ve been following your blog for weeks now and you completely inspired me to finally start my own! I’m not vegan, but I am Paleo. Which means I don’t eat any dairy, grains or sugar, but I do eat meat, fish, vegetables, nuts and fruits. Our lifestyles (food-wise) are so different, but I have been learning to cook and even re-creating some of your recipes to fit my own! It’s been fun and I just made Sweet Potato Casserole for breakfast, minus flour, oats, sugar, earth balance…. It’s actually in the oven as I write :) THank you for all your awesome recipes and stories.

Xo Jenna

Kimberly March 1, 2011

Just made for me and my husband, Eric, this morning. I was a little wary b/c I don’t usually like sweet stuff with my oatmeal. In addition, Eric is kind of picky. However, we both loved this. Eric has declared it ‘a keeper!’. Tastes so good it’s hard to believe it’s good for you. Thanks for the recipe. Looking forward to trying some more!

MarmandeintheKitchen March 1, 2011

This looks great, and your blog has so many great breakfast recipes! I’m so glad to have stumbled across it and will definetly be making this one and the carrot cake oatmeal!

marla {family fresh cooking} March 5, 2011

This oatmeal casserole looks awesome! Wish we had it for breakfast today :)

Lauren March 6, 2011

this looks delicious! where did you get those awesome blue and red dishes?

Ashley April 24, 2012

This was delicious! I did almonds instead of pecans, coconut flavoring, and unsweetened almond milk just because I had that on hand instead. I reduced the topping down about a half. It was still great! Keep’em comin!

Rebecca June 3, 2012

Boyfriend who claims he doesn’t like oatmeal just said “This tastes like pumpkin pie.” Thanks!

Rebecca June 3, 2012

Oh, also, I did walnuts instead of pecans and they worked really well! I also skipped the chia seeds and cut the milk back to 1.5 cups.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012

Glad to hear that!

Taryn July 31, 2012

I have made this a few times– usually gluten free and dairy free and it has gotten such rave reviews that a friend asked me to make enough for 30 for their post wedding brunch– YIkes! But it was a HUGE hit at least 6 people asked for the recipe. It is now my go to for breakfast gatherings and i have yet to meet a single person who doesn’t love it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Wow that’s awesome!! :) Thanks for letting me know.

Carol August 19, 2012

Hi,

I noticed the vanilla extract in the ingredients list, but it wasn’t listed in the directions. In what step should it be added?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2012

Sorry about that Carol! I added it to step 3. Enjoy!

Melissa October 17, 2012

OMG! This looks awesome! I just love oats. I have bookmarked this and am making it soon!

Bren November 17, 2012

I want to make this but have a child who is allergic to banana. Can I just add more sweet potato and if so…how much?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

Im sure you would add a bit more (maybe 1/2 sweet potato?) but you’d need to add more sweetener to make up for the banana. You could also swap the banana for dates.

Rayca November 27, 2012

Funny that you found yourself wanting it for breakfast (since it’s a holiday side dish) and I sought this recipe out for breakfast fare. I do sweet/savory casseroles all the time for breakfast. Pancakes are only served for dessert in Europe and I make a breakfast lasagna. Go figure. It looks devine. Can’t wait to make. –Thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 27, 2012

breakfast lasagna sounds incredible!

Amy January 9, 2013

I enjoyed this for breakfast with my family the last day I was home for the holidays. Thank you so much for a wonderful, healthful recipe that I could share with my loved ones!

Alex May 2, 2013

As hard as it is to do I’ll save this for next week as I am making your mini peanut butter cups this weekend! One sweet thing at a time you know. They’ll both be for breakfast so I don’t want to have to decide between them.

Marilyn May 4, 2013

Hi Angela. This is Marilyn, I live in Anchorage, Alaska and own and operate a very nice bed and breakfast here. Your website has been a great asset to me in cooking for vegan and vegetarian guests. I’d like to thank you for that.

I did not know what a chia seed was before I read your blog. : ) I’ve made this oatmeal several times for guests, and now have been been making it for me and my family, as I love it so. Talk about the ultimate comfort food.

So… thanks! I’m getting ready to make it for tomorrow’s guests and thought I’d write and tell you how much I appreciate you.

Marilyn
11th Avenue Bed and Breakfast

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Hi Marilyn, Pleasure to meet you! Thanks for your lovely note. I’m so happy to hear that my recipes have come in handy for you and your guests! Take care

Alex May 6, 2013

Could I use coconut butter instead of E.B in the topping??

Kelly May 12, 2013

Wow this was awesome, was looking for something Vegan for a mother’s day brunch and was a big hit!!! Will save this recipe for future use!!!

nate May 20, 2013

BIRTHDAY CASSEROLE!!! Thanks So Very Much For Thus Recipe. i Had a SAweet potato From a New Urban Farm In Raleigh, nc. It Is my Girlfriend’s Birthday Today So i Raced downstairs With Our New Chaweenie. ( I Am Having alot Of Fun) Anyway, i Had Get It All Together Before She Came Down. She Is The Love Of My Life And i Made Her Feel So Good With This dish. Thanks Again.
p.s. I Made My Own Version Of Your Green Goddess Dressing Adding Tomatillos.

Casey June 10, 2013

Oh My Goodness. I am a brand new fan; this is the first recipe of yours that I’ve made and I will now be a follower for life. This stuff is freakin’ amazing! I literally ate it for breakfast and for lunch and I’m eating an apple right now – even though I would rather be eating that oatmeal – only because I figure I should *maybe* eat something other than the oatmeal today. You are so right about the topping – SO delicious! I am going to tell all of my family and friends about this recipe! FIVE stars – you rock! There’s only one thing…you mentioned that there will be leftovers. Negative. Not with me in the house! :) Thank you so much for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2013

Hey Casey! So glad you enjoyed this recipe so much! :) Thank you for letting me know…it makes my day to hear this kind of feedback. Wishing you many more yummy recipes to come!

Anna September 16, 2013

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I LOVE this recipe. I feel that many, many sweet potato recipes are just oozing with unhealthiness, but this is so wonderful that I have made it four times already on Sunday nights, and I eat it for breakfast 3-4 times the following week to aid in getting to work on time. Last night though, I forgot to cook the oats before stirring into the potato mash and figured that to be safe, I should bake it for 30-35 minutes, and everything came out perfectly. So if you want to skip a step, you can skip that one! I also had some left over peeled apples from an apple pie and stirred in about one very small apple, and it added some nice flavor. Thanks for making my life easier by sharing this healthy, vegan recipe!

Karen Grullon September 18, 2013

Another recipe to my ” I Love this!! ” list!!! I did this today, and oh my god!! I am desperate to check out how it tastes tomorrow, cold, right out of the fridge!! Yummy!

Cathy November 23, 2013

I made this without the seeds or salt and reduced the milk to 1-3/4 cups. It turned out great! We both loved it.

Corinn November 23, 2013

Made this today, YUM! My 12 month old made yummy noises when she tried it :)
Definitely one of my favorite recipes I have made from your site.

Ruby Ellen March 23, 2014

I just wanted to drop by to say that I’ve made your recipe half a dozen times already because it’s a refreshing change from standard breakfast fair and is great made the night before. I use Earth Balance coconut spread for the topping and sometimes throw some shredded coconut into the mix. Once I forgot the sweetener and hardly even noticed. Thank you for this breakfast!

Kathleen Campbell March 31, 2014

I loved this! Like you were saying, it’s fairly similar to the sweet potato/yam dish I grew up with that I would only have at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s a good thing I only had it then, because it was laden with butter and brown sugar! I love having this for breakfast and knowing that it’s healthy! I might try next time subbing the Earth Balance for coconut oil. My topping was a bit mushier than I would like and I think the oil might make it more crumbly. Also, I made this for a cooking class yesterday as a demonstration vegan breakfast food and people raved about it and loved it! So thanks!

Tara April 15, 2014

This was delicious and very satisfying. I used almond milk because I had just made some. Everything else per your recipe and it was wonderful with a cup of tea. It is a meal, a snack and desert all in one!!

Aubs May 15, 2014

Super delicious! I used quick oats instead of rolled oats, and mashed everything really well, to get a smoother texture.

Page 4 of 5«12345»