Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

IMG 1394   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I grew up enjoying my mom’s sweet potato casserole for every holiday and it was always a dish I just couldn’t get enough of. There is something magical about comforting and creamy sweet potatoes with an ooey gooey toasted marshmallow topping. When I started eating a vegan diet, I was determined to make a sweet potato casserole that would rock my world just like the one of my youth.

Enter: This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole.

IMG 7122   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

It has been a hit at every holiday dinner I have brought it to. No one can ever believe that it is vegan!

Yesterday morning, I was craving this sweet potato casserole in a major way.

The only snag?

It was 7:15am. I find myself in these situations quite a lot.

I looked at the sweet potato, it looked at me…I looked at it again.

And I turned that craving into breakfast.

IMG 1436   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This is hands down the BEST spin-off oatmeal I have made yet. If you make one thing this week, you gotta make this.

IMG 1400   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

The first thing you do is lightly cook the sweet potato for just 5 minutes until just fork tender. It cooks much faster if you cut it into 1 inch pieces. I used 2 cups raw sweet potato, which yields 1.5 cups cooked.

IMG 1324   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Now assemble the oatmeal ingredients:

IMG 1311b   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

For my first attempt, I used Bob’s Red Mill Kasha (roasted buckwheat) and I really did not like the texture, so I started over and used regular oats.

IMG 1328   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 1326   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This is what it made in my first attempt with kasha:

IMG 1348   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I was not a fan of the taste or texture of Kasha in this recipe. wlEmoticon brokenheart   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Back to oats!

IMG 1349   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I brought the milk, oats, and chia seeds to a boil and then reduced the heat and cooked for about 5-6 minutes. The chia seeds help soak up the milk, so if you are omitting the chia seeds you will likely have to reduce the milk.

You want it this consistency:

IMG 1350   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I used organic soy milk and it was a nice change in this oatmeal. Soy milk also pumps up the protein too. I like So Nice brand because it is organic, using non-GMO soybeans.

Now add in the cooked sweet potato and the banana and mash your little heart out with your (sa-weet) potato masher.

IMG 1353   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 1355   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

The banana and sweet potato pair wonderfully in this recipe! I left it a bit chunky because I knew my texture monster would be eating it.

Season: Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and salt.

IMG 1341   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Stir, mash, whatever you please…

IMG 1359   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 1360   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I like to use my Spurtle upside down. It works better that way.

IMG 1363   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Spread into a small 8 inch (4 cup) casserole dish. Any size will do in a pinch though!

IMG 1371   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This baker dish is from Epicure Selections.

Make the fabulous crunchy pecan topping…this topping brings the recipe to a new level.

IMG 1367b   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Mix together with a fork until very clumpy. The topping tastes so good.

IMG 1369   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Sprinkle onto the oatmeal.

IMG 1378   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Wonderful.

You may be tempted to dig right in at this point…I say go for it if you want to…but if you bake it in the oven it will taste even better. The topping will get all crispy and buttery and the pecans will toast up into a rich nutty flavour.

IMG 1383   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

After baking for 20 minutes at 350F and broiling for 2 minutes on low….golden, crispy magic happens.

IMG 1410   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This recipe is hands down the best oatmeal I have made to date…which says a lot because I really love my Carrot Cake Oatmeal, Apple Pie Oatmeal, and Pumpkin Pie VOO.

I cut it into 4 servings and proceeded to eat two of them. Naturally.

IMG 1422   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

A great thing about this recipe is that you will have leftovers that taste great cold or heated up! It’s a win-win situation here folks.

IMG 1436 21   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Much like my Carrot Cake Oatmeal, this Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole tasted amazing straight from the fridge cold with a splash of milk.

IMG 1444   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I better go stock up on more sweet potatoes.

RENO-Cation Updates:

Last night I Tweeted, ‘I think Reno-cation week may be the end of our marriage. lol’

That is all I’m going to say about that. ;)

Here is the dining room BEFORE:

IMG 94703   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 94483   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Yesterday, we shaved off the popcorn ceiling

IMG 9508   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Popcorn is truly evil. Rooms look so much cleaner (and bigger) without it.

To get the popcorn off you soak the ceiling heavily with water (we use 1/2 gallon water bottle sprayer) and shave it off with a drywall knife. Dump excess into a lined garbage pail lid and then finally into a garbage pail.

But first, lay down plastic all over the ground because it makes a HUGE mess.

8   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 9511   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

It looks so much more white after removing the popcorn! We haven’t even painted a base coat yet. Instant facelift for the room. I told Eric it looks ‘10 years younger’. ;)

7   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

After we did that, we removed all of the wooden frames and then started patching the walls with drywall compound and sanding everything down. This is the worst part by far.

Today, I’m renting a steamer from Home Depot, so I can get off this pesky wallpaper. The old water and soap trick didn’t work one bit.

IMG 9520   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Happy 26 days until SPRING! wlEmoticon hotsmile1   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole wlEmoticon sun2   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Kath February 22, 2011

oh BOY that looks divine!!!!!!!!!!

bitt of raw February 22, 2011

how decadent!

i hate popcorn ceiling. I lived in a place with popcorn WALLS. the landlady got ma at us because there was so much chipping after only 2 years. it just chips off like crazy. we barely touched it!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 22, 2011

I LOVE sweet potato casserole! This breakfast casserole sounds like heaven to me! :)

Camille February 22, 2011

Ahh, I love all things sweet potato and this looks incredible!

Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) February 22, 2011

Oh, how yummy this casserole looks! What a wonderful dish to make for houseguests, can you imagine waking up to the wonderful, sweet aroma? I have to admit, I really don’t like kasha, let us know if you find a way to use it that has a nice flavor.

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA February 22, 2011

This looks so amazing. You have a magical ability to combine all of my favorite ingredients in new and exciting ways.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 22, 2011

what a wonderful idea! And i love your casserole dishes – so adorable!

Emmy February 22, 2011

Your renovation project is looking great, but I just wanted to post a word of caution to readers about shaving off popcorn ceilings.

We have a popcorn ceiling in our house that we desperately wanted to get rid of. Some popcorn ceilings, unforntunately, have a form of asbestos in them (we got ours tested and sadly ours did!). The ceiling is ok in its present state, but it’s the *dust and residue* that would result from shaving it off that is harmful.

Just make sure to test your ceilings before shaving them :-)

Amanda (Eating Up) February 22, 2011

I think you win for best breakfast recipes. By a landslide.

Mel February 22, 2011

This recipe sounds fantastic!!! I am planning on making it this weekend! Sounds like the perfect recipe for a cold morning :) Good luck with your renovations! The steamer will work wonders for your wallpaper removal. I rented one to take down some wallpaper in our kitchen and it worked the best out of everything we tried. We recently finished our kitchen renovations, the stress and frustration is worth the end results :) Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Mel February 22, 2011

I forgot to mention…one of my patients told me today that this spring is supposed to be a cold one :( :( Let’s hope he is wrong!!!

Niamh February 22, 2011

That breakfast looks amazing! And it is nothing that I would have ever have thought of putting together myself!

Haha, I know what you mean about the popcorn ceiling, though I’ve never heard it described as that before. Our old house had it :S.
Hope you have a great week x

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 22, 2011

That looks like the perfect breakfast. It looks amazing! Good look with the renovations. :D

Hannah February 22, 2011

WOW! I have never had anything like this! Being Australia, we don’t even do sweet potato casseroles, so this is beyond my realm of comprehension. It looks insanely good, though!

Lauren February 22, 2011

LOVE this recipe, Angela!!! I know what I’m making for breakfast later this week :).

stacey-healthylife February 22, 2011

My two favorites combined, yum.

Cara Craves... February 22, 2011

That is some serious reno business!
Although it’s hard and requires a lot of patience,
it will be worth it in the end!

Ally (oatsandspice) February 22, 2011

How come you always come up with the most amazing recipes! This one looks superrrrr tasty :)

Kat @ Cupcake Kat February 22, 2011

Oh yum! This looks and sounds so delicious.
I’ve NEVER liked popcorn ceilings! What is even the point of them?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 22, 2011

That sweet potato breakfast casserole looks amazing! We had a popcorn ceiling and front wall when we bought our house. Instead of shaving it down, we covered it with more drywall. It worked out perfectly!!! I wish I would have known you were doing that or I would have given you the tip earlier!

radioactivegan February 22, 2011

I remember when my parents were doing some similar renovations in their house … Good luck! We had a dog who went nuts one day and tore down all the wallpaper in a bathroom, which was a huge help. But we could never figure out how to get her to do it in the other rooms … I don’t envy your job, but I bet it will look so much better when you’re done!

Zestful Lou February 22, 2011

Gahhhhh! I’m drooling again. Gee thanks, Angela!

Abby White February 22, 2011

Oh my! I am going to have to make that right now. I have all the ingredients at hand and was just wondering what I should do with my sweet potato. Another amazing recipe. I hope you don’t mind if I link to your blog once again to spread the joy! My blog is http://www.eatdrinkandbeaware.blogspot.com.

Thanks,
Abby

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 22, 2011

The steamer does work SO much better. When my mom and I were redoing the kitchen it was a life saving.

I still don’t get why they put popcorn ceilings in houses. They are SO bad. I’m glad you’re removing it though. It will be worth it in the end :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 22, 2011

This looks fantastic! I love sweet potato casserole and now I can have it for breakfast? :D

Emily February 22, 2011

This is geniussss! I want to make it like, now.

You are making such great progress with you renovations! :)

Melissa Crane February 22, 2011

That sweet potato casserole looks amazing! I will be trying it out this weekend for brunch – can’t wait!

Totally understand the pain that you guys went through with that popcorn ceiling… our entire house had it and we scraped all of it off on our own (well, my husband did most of the work). All four bedrooms, family room, kitchen, etc. What a pain. But the rooms look oh so much better. It’s always exciting to see your hard work pay off and see a room transform from ugly to beautiful :)

Lauren February 22, 2011

My mom makes the same kind of sweet potato casserole! It is SUCH a comfort good (though really not the healthiest the way she makes it, haha!) Great idea to turn it into a breakfast dish, looks delicious.

Natalie Carter @ nataliecartertalksfitness February 23, 2011

I need to eat that casserole immediately! I’ve been trying to numb my sweet tooth with sweet potato and this is a perfect addition to my recipe bank

love your blog by the way!

Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots February 23, 2011

Um that is all KINDS of brilliant… Ahh! Now my lame little bowl of nighttime microwave oatmeal feels highly inadequate :(

Amanda February 23, 2011

My oh my that looks tasty : D

Beach Bum Beauty February 23, 2011

Sweet potatoes are my favourite vegetable so have made your sweet potato casserole many times, and now you’ve just given me permission to eat it for breakfast without feeling like a nutcase, thank you!!!

Lauren (PB&G) February 23, 2011

Angela this looks sooo good! I wonder if I could use carrots instead of sweet potato. I don’t have any sweet potatoes in the house and I’ve kinda used up my budget for the month! Darn!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 23, 2011

Oh gosh, I must be in heaven!!! Sweet Potatoes for breakfast!!!! OHMYGOSH!!!!

jassy February 23, 2011

if it is sweet potato, then it must be good :)

kaila @ healthy helper! February 23, 2011

sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods…and I eat one just about everyday, so I am always looking for new ways to enjoy them! this looks absolutely delicious! I actually have never had sweet potato casserole so I’m excited to try this and your actual casserole recipe.

Wakenda February 23, 2011

This looks amazing and I will defintely make it this week.

I do have a question. As a healthy eating newbie, I’ve never had chia seeds before. Do they have a taste? Do they give a dish texture? I’m not a fan of poppy seeds…are chia seeds like that?

Thanks for all your wonderful recipes. They are really helping this newb! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 23, 2011

When dry, chia seeds are slightly crunchy. When wet, chia seeds are slippery and they expand from water absorption. Either way I dont find they have any taste at all.

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com February 23, 2011

Um, YUM! This is a genius idea! I will be making this stat!

Sarah February 23, 2011

Silke soy milk is also organic (says so on the carton.)

Secondly, I love your blog and your recipes, but those are not called regular oats. They are rolled oats.

Jennifer Merschel February 23, 2011

I love this! After Thanksgiving, I kept putting a scoop of leftover sweet potato casserole on my oatmeal in the morning and I thought, why haven’t I always been doing this? I never thought to recreate it in February.

Thanks for another great recipe. It seems I keep bookmarking every recipe you post. I’m buying avocado today to make that chickpea salad!

Alena February 23, 2011

YUM!! I can’t wait to try this!!

Page 3 of 5«12345»