Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

IMG_1394

I grew up enjoying my mom’s sweet potato casserole for every holiday and it was always a dish I just couldn’t get enough of. There is something magical about comforting and creamy sweet potatoes with an ooey gooey toasted marshmallow topping. When I started eating a vegan diet, I was determined to make a sweet potato casserole that would rock my world just like the one of my youth.

Enter: This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole.

IMG_7122

It has been a hit at every holiday dinner I have brought it to. No one can ever believe that it is vegan!

Yesterday morning, I was craving this sweet potato casserole in a major way.

The only snag?

It was 7:15am. I find myself in these situations quite a lot.

I looked at the sweet potato, it looked at me…I looked at it again.

And I turned that craving into breakfast.

IMG_1436

This is hands down the BEST spin-off oatmeal I have made yet. If you make one thing this week, you gotta make this.

IMG_1400

The first thing you do is lightly cook the sweet potato for just 5 minutes until just fork tender. It cooks much faster if you cut it into 1 inch pieces. I used 2 cups raw sweet potato, which yields 1.5 cups cooked.

IMG_1324

Now assemble the oatmeal ingredients:

IMG_1311b

For my first attempt, I used Bob’s Red Mill Kasha (roasted buckwheat) and I really did not like the texture, so I started over and used regular oats.

IMG_1328 IMG_1326

This is what it made in my first attempt with kasha:

IMG_1348

I was not a fan of the taste or texture of Kasha in this recipe. Broken heart

Back to oats!

IMG_1349

I brought the milk, oats, and chia seeds to a boil and then reduced the heat and cooked for about 5-6 minutes. The chia seeds help soak up the milk, so if you are omitting the chia seeds you will likely have to reduce the milk.

You want it this consistency:

IMG_1350

I used organic soy milk and it was a nice change in this oatmeal. Soy milk also pumps up the protein too. I like So Nice brand because it is organic, using non-GMO soybeans.

Now add in the cooked sweet potato and the banana and mash your little heart out with your (sa-weet) potato masher.

IMG_1353 IMG_1355

The banana and sweet potato pair wonderfully in this recipe! I left it a bit chunky because I knew my texture monster would be eating it.

Season: Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and salt.

IMG_1341

Stir, mash, whatever you please…

IMG_1359 IMG_1360

I like to use my Spurtle upside down. It works better that way.

IMG_1363

Spread into a small 8 inch (4 cup) casserole dish. Any size will do in a pinch though!

IMG_1371

This baker dish is from Epicure Selections.

Make the fabulous crunchy pecan topping…this topping brings the recipe to a new level.

IMG_1367b

Mix together with a fork until very clumpy. The topping tastes so good.

IMG_1369

Sprinkle onto the oatmeal.

IMG_1378

Wonderful.

You may be tempted to dig right in at this point…I say go for it if you want to…but if you bake it in the oven it will taste even better. The topping will get all crispy and buttery and the pecans will toast up into a rich nutty flavour.

IMG_1383

After baking for 20 minutes at 350F and broiling for 2 minutes on low….golden, crispy magic happens.

IMG_1410

This recipe is hands down the best oatmeal I have made to date…which says a lot because I really love my Carrot Cake Oatmeal, Apple Pie Oatmeal, and Pumpkin Pie VOO.

I cut it into 4 servings and proceeded to eat two of them. Naturally.

IMG_1422

A great thing about this recipe is that you will have leftovers that taste great cold or heated up! It’s a win-win situation here folks.

IMG_1436-2

Much like my Carrot Cake Oatmeal, this Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole tasted amazing straight from the fridge cold with a splash of milk.

IMG_1444

I better go stock up on more sweet potatoes.

RENO-Cation Updates:

Last night I Tweeted, ‘I think Reno-cation week may be the end of our marriage. lol’

That is all I’m going to say about that. ;)

Here is the dining room BEFORE:

IMG_9470 IMG_9448

Yesterday, we shaved off the popcorn ceiling

IMG_9508

Popcorn is truly evil. Rooms look so much cleaner (and bigger) without it.

To get the popcorn off you soak the ceiling heavily with water (we use 1/2 gallon water bottle sprayer) and shave it off with a drywall knife. Dump excess into a lined garbage pail lid and then finally into a garbage pail.

But first, lay down plastic all over the ground because it makes a HUGE mess.

8 IMG_9511

It looks so much more white after removing the popcorn! We haven’t even painted a base coat yet. Instant facelift for the room. I told Eric it looks ‘10 years younger’. ;)

After we did that, we removed all of the wooden frames and then started patching the walls with drywall compound and sanding everything down. This is the worst part by far.

Today, I’m renting a steamer from Home Depot, so I can get off this pesky wallpaper. The old water and soap trick didn’t work one bit.

IMG_9520

Happy 26 days until SPRING! Hot smile Sun

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 22, 2011

my jaw just literally dropped. this looks amazing! + I have been eating the same breakfast for 23 days now and I didn’t see how anything could change this so THANK YOU haha. gotta get outta my breakfast rut!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty February 22, 2011

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmm I’m making this for sure!! Maybe even today!!

We did some renos too, and it was brutal for us… worth it in the end though!!

Jenny February 22, 2011

This looks GREAT!!!!!!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 22, 2011

i fell in love with your sweet potato casserole dish.. this looks amazing. once again. haha you are so creative!! i am definitely bookmarking this!

Doc (The Healthy PhD) February 22, 2011

I’m making this. Amazing…it looks like a bread pudding, which means it can be my substitute for all the ice cream/chocolate I have been consuming (and my face has been hating…), right? Right…..?

amanda February 22, 2011

the sweet potato goodness looks delish!! might make this weekend!

also, for the wallpaper removal, we always use a combo of liquid fabric softener and water and just spray the heck out of it. the fabric softener (like Downy) breaks up the glue and (bonus) smells good!

good luck!!

Ashley February 22, 2011

Yay Spring! I would make this but I have an intense fear/loathing of bananas so I’m not sure how it would turn out with it. I love sweet potatoes however so maybe I’ll just bake one and eat that for breakfast one day. :)

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan February 22, 2011

I loathe wallpaper. When I was growing up, my mom was in a major wallpaper phase of her life. She wallpapered every room, numerous times and I was always the lucky one to help scrape it off…on a sweltering summer day of 115+ degrees F…with no air conditioning. Ugh! I’m loving your renovation updates!
And I really need to make this sweet potato oatmeal breakfast casserole soon. It looks amazing. :-)

megan @ blackberries for jam February 22, 2011

Oh my goodness, this looks so delicious! Where do you come up with these amazing ideas?! I am making this immediately.

Nichole February 22, 2011

I also dislike popcorn on walls, ceilings but I do like the textured/knockdown look for walls, we recently did that on some of the older walls in my duplex renovation, the walls were plaster and a little old and some had cracks so instead of drywalling it all we did that and it really turned out nice! Good luck with the wallpaper, eeek!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli February 22, 2011

This looks amazing! I love the combo of the oats, sweet p, and pecans! Can’t wait to try out this recipe! Great job removing the popcorn! It looks fabulous! Good luck w the wallpaper removal!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli February 22, 2011

Jacquelynn February 22, 2011

How is the salad dressing holding up in the fridge that you made the other day? I am going to make it this afternoon :)

Michelle February 22, 2011

Breakfast never looked so good. YUM!

Namaste Gurl February 22, 2011

Sweet potatoes for breakfast? Yes, please. I bet this would win the crowd for a weekend brunch type meal. And it’s vegan, too, what a plus!

Alaina February 22, 2011

That oatmeal warms me up just looking at it. Just two servings? Shoot, I would have eaten the whole thing. ;-) My mom makes sweet potato casserole with coconut on top. Yum.

Julie (A Case of the Runs) February 22, 2011

This really looks great! I have all those ingredients around here somewhere… =)

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 22, 2011

Good luck with the wallpaper! I have nightmares from a run-in with some wallpaper border.

Loooove the crumbly topping – it almost makes it feel like dessert disguised as breakfast – totally a fan :)

Theresa @ that healthy stuff February 22, 2011

I am makin this for dinner tonight!! I love brinner – although I may have to half the recipe because I would have no self-control when it came to stopping!! My husband is a huge fan of your sweet potato casserole he requests in constantly!!

Mary (what's cookin' with mary) February 22, 2011

I am also loving casseroles right now. They make the best leftovers !

Roz February 22, 2011

Oh wow….that would be a GREAT way to start the day. Good luck with the ongoing reno-cation! It’ll be sooo worth it!!!

britt February 22, 2011

this looks so yummy!! i only have walnuts in the pantry so i may try it with those. love it!

Ashley February 22, 2011

I didn’t have the sweet potatoes but I couldn’t contain myself– I had to make it this morning! And it was delicious, thank you!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 22, 2011

Just thinking about having to deal with that popcorn/stucco makes me cringe. Looks like you are making good progress though!!

Christine (The Raw Project) February 22, 2011

Yum, this has weekend breakfast or weeknight dinner written all over it! :-) Thanks!

Annalisa February 22, 2011

I’m always amazed at couples who do home repairs together and make it seem easy, like figure skating. We re-did our kitchen this past summer and my husband dubbed the project “the divorce-maker 3000″. During a daunting, irritating moment he would pepper in random lines like “the divorce maker 3000 is guaranteed to have you lose a finger…” which made those moments less tense and almost hilarious.

We recently put-together a seemingly easy baby crib and he said that was the newer model of the divorce-maker 3000 which made us both laugh after 3 hrs of “helping words’ (AKA a lot of cursing).

Marissa February 22, 2011

Excited to try this, it looks super tasty! A great idea for something different. I shared it with my facebook fans, thanks!

Lauren February 22, 2011

Looking good already! I’m excited to see the transformation! We’ve been in our house for a year and 8 months and haven’t even painted yet…I can’t make paint decisions to save my life!

Baking 'n' Books February 22, 2011

I don’t think my comments are showing up?

BUT – God I love all those ingredients! Must make it. Do you try your different trials over a couple of days or did you try the different grains (oats, buckwheat) all in the same morning? Do you feel like your “wasting your time” by starting over??

Or get too hungry too wait?!! :)

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 22, 2011

I’ve been talking to my nutritionist about trying more sweet potatoes in my diet and this is the perfect way to incorporate them in! I love all of your breakfast recipes! I want to make this for my mom tomorrow morning as a surprise breakfast :)

GretaGrace February 22, 2011

I’m curious why you omitted the caloric content of the topping? The recipe includes it, yet it’s left out from the total. Even if it’s separate, it would be helpful to have all of the information. Maybe – casserole only = 217kcal; with topping = Xkcal. Cuz, really… who’s not gonna put that yummy topping on? Seems a little deceiving without all the info.

Separately, thank you for your blog and sharing your experiences. I’m still one of those struggline to find balance with food. It’s encouraging to see others struggle with it too, but also that there are reall people who have succeeded with it. Thank you again…

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2011

Earth Balance is not found in the nutritional program I use, so I was not able to calculate the topping.

Ellie@fitforthesoul February 22, 2011

Nothin’ wrong with having this for bfast! It’s made of wholesome stuff! Wowww you’re killing us Angela~do you think this would taste similar or just as good with yams? We always have yams around in my household.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2011

Yes I do think it would work with yams too! :)

Sharon February 22, 2011

This looks SOOOOO good! I am almost as obsessed with oatmeal as I am with hummus and sweet potatoes are so good too that I just know I can’t go wrong with this recipe. The only problem is I am a little impatient when it comes to breakfast. Who says you have to have oatmeal for breakfast though? ;)

The Restaurant Manager February 22, 2011

That looks like it taste amazing. I’ll be trying to make it very soon!

Beth February 22, 2011

That Sweet Potato Casserole looks delish!
And, your ceiling does look so much better sans popcorn effect.
Too bad we didn’t know we could do that when we bought our house. I would have preferred it that way. But now the ceilings are sealed, primed, and painted. I hear ya about renos and marriages – but you’ll come out stronger :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 22, 2011

That has got to be the most perfect breakfast food. Ever.

Katie @ Pop Culture Cuisine February 22, 2011

I’m pretty sure that is the exact same wallpaper that was hanging behind other wallpaper in our master bedroom when we moved in!

Amber K February 22, 2011

You are so creative!

I am so glad to not be doing renovations. My husband and I are starting to look at houses and that is the part I’m least looking forward to!

ellen February 22, 2011

Hello – if you are still working on that wall paper you should try this product called “DIF.” You get a round scoring tool to score the wall paper with little holes and then lather on the dif. wait, and it just peels off without any hard work. i am usually against the use of chemicals in the house but this one really works. and they claim int’s non-toxic?? they have it at home depot. get a gallon jug. good luck!!

Ellen

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 22, 2011

“‘I think Reno-cation week may be the end of our marriage. lol’”–

Yesterday I mentioned that my hubs cannot install a car seat or change a light bulb or build furniture…well, anytime he’s tried…it’s nearly always the end of our marriage. Nuff said. Oh, I have SO BEEN there! :)

This casserole..oh it looks amazing. I love the pic of the chia + banana + milk being cooked on the stovetop. Just right there…creamy and wonderful beyond all. Yum! Then add in everything else, the sweet tater and all those wonderful spices…and the crunchy topping!

I am such a topping junkie! On streusels or baked crumbles/crisps, I could just eat topping alone. I love them!

What a winner of a recipe…and so creative, Angela!

Page 2 of 5«12345»