Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

IMG 1293   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

Today is a holiday Monday in honour of Family Day…so Happy Family day to you if you are one of the lucky ones celebrating! Happy Family Day to you even if you are not celebrating. ;)

Eric and I are taking a bit of a RENO-cation this week. We originally dreamed (and hoped and wished) to go on a Winter vacation during this week, but we opted for a RENO-cation instead. Eric is taking a few days off work and I will probably work half days and then do renos the rest of the time and in the evening. We still have a lot of reno work to be done on the house that will take many months (years, decades!) so we really couldn’t justify a vacation right now. I guess it’s an investment in the house instead of our immediate happiness. Ugh, we are such responsible adults now!

Anyways, we promised ourselves that we could still make some fancy drinks with umbrellas while we roll around in the sand.  wlEmoticon martiniglass   Tahini Avocado Chickpea SaladwlEmoticon martiniglass   Tahini Avocado Chickpea SaladwlEmoticon martiniglass   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

Unfortunately, not that kind of sand…the sand that comes from refinishing hardwood flooring!

IMG 9494   Tahini Avocado Chickpea SaladYesterday, we spent the entire day putting together an Ikea PAX wardrobe in our closet and I concluded that I will never get those 12 hours of my life back. Sketchie did too. A piece of me died inside yesterday and you can find it buried under particle board and cardboard boxes.

Joking aside, it was pretty easy to put together once we got the hang of the instructions (lie), but of course we encountered some speed bumps along the way. It wouldn’t be an Ikea experience for us unless we had a missing piece, a broken limb, or an improper installation…

I will never forget the time when Eric built my desk the wrong way and he had to take it apart and start over. Whenever he makes fun of me for anything, I remind him of that time and he hangs his head in shame. I win.

Check out the fun ‘jewelry’ organizers on my side of the closet:

IMG 9500   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

I installed all of those drawers myself…I’m just your average Mike Holmes, ya know.

Speaking of our luck with all things Ikea, we opened a box and one of the huge wardrobe pieces was badly damaged with a huge crack on both sides. We have to drive back to Ikea today tomorrow (it’s closed today!) to replace this broken piece. Not fun, but whatcanyoudobuthaveabeer?

And eat great food…

IMG 1285   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

By the way, Eric and I are officially obsessed with these macaroons. We discovered if you put them in the freezer and then defrost in the micro for 15 seconds they have this slightly cold and crisp crust with a warm gooey middle. Insanity. I’d say they are probably one of our top 5 dessert cookies of all time.

And I’m just having way too much fun coming up with fun salads lately.

IMG 1309   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

Some of the dressing ingredients…

IMG 1281b   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

Feel free to adjust the dressing recipe to taste. You may like more or less tahini, olive oil, salt, seasonings, etc.

By the way, I showed 3 garlic cloves in the photo, but I actually only needed 1 clove.

IMG 1283   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

The dressing turned out soooo thick and creamy!

IMG 1284   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

To mix it, I put everything in a big Tupperware container, added some dressing, put on the lid, and then shook it all up so it was coated very nicely. Then I just transferred it to a bowl.

IMG 12851   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

[But trust me, if I wasn’t taking a photo of it, I would have just eaten it straight from the messy Tupperware container!]

I enjoyed it with some Mary’s Crackers (dipped in more dressing).

IMG 12941   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

The dressing is super creamy and luxurious, with a tangy kick.

IMG 1298   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

As I was eating it I realized how happy I am that I am not afraid of ‘fat’ anymore. Olive oil, tahini, and avocado are such wonderful foods for the body. Let’s do our bodies a big favour and leave the 1990’s fat-free era behind, sound good? wlEmoticon thumbsup2   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

IMG 13091   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

blog awards badge4   Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad

Thank you again for your votes in the Best Health Blog Contest!

You can vote once per day until March 21st and I would really appreciate your help for this contest. I have never actually won any blog contest before and I would be so excited if I actually did. :) I am nominated in the Eat Well category.

Uh oh, the husband is calling me..nothing good ever comes of this. He mentioned something about me ‘stripping’ (wallpaper…I think?). And shaving the ceiling. I shall return with more Reno-cation updates and the delish grub we eat while doing so.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 21, 2011

A reno-cation isn’t the most glamorous but just think how beautiful your house will be when you are done! And you get to spend the time together which is still a plus :)

Jillian February 21, 2011

Hey Angela! This is my first time commenting, but I love your blog!! That salad recipe looks amazing! Good luck with the renos, and the contest…I voted for you!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2011

Thanks Jillian :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 21, 2011

Agh sorry to hear about your Ikea predicament! On a positive note, I do like the sounds of the jewellery organizers and that salad! Hope you enjoy your Family Day Ange! :)

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 21, 2011

you can do wonders with spices Angela!!! I would never have put this combo together and you’ve done it so well!

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 21, 2011

Good luck with the renos! The salad recipes have perfect timing because I’m in need of new recipes to include in my meal plan. I love all the healthy fats in them!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 21, 2011

I love all of the organizers in the closet! We recently put in a Martha Stewart closet organizer and I love it — it makes getting ready so much easier.

I totally agree 100% about being so happy to not fear fats — I’m reading In Defense of Food and the author touches on the fact that we NEED fats for important things, like our brains :) Why fear good fats?

JenATX February 21, 2011

hehe funny because when I was reading about the dressing in my head I said, “hmm sounds like a fatty dressing” & I didn’t even care at all! This is a happy departure for me because I probably would’ve subbed out the dressing for a vinaigrette in years past. cheers to healthy fats :)

Marina February 21, 2011

Good luck with the Reno-cation :)
The salad sounds awesome, with the dressing, and the chickpeas…my favorite combo for a salad are chickpea&avocado!
I stopped fearing fat as well, I just love my avocado, nuts, and butter :)

kristy @ kristyruns.com February 21, 2011

That salad looks amazing! I live anything with avocado! :) Good luck on your reno!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks February 21, 2011

Mmm, your salads are looking really good lately — I still want to try that walnut/bean mixture you made last time!

Krystina (Organically Me) February 21, 2011

I would honestly probably want to bathe in that dressing. It sounds divine.

Mary February 21, 2011

I’ve never even heard of Family Day but I definitely think we should have one too! Enjoy your reno-cation!

Erin February 21, 2011

Oh, this brings back memories! Our first house, and the one we still live in, is a 1928 bungalow in a very desirable Calgary neighbourhood. The last big reno was in 1963, and it was very shagadelic!

We were following my dad’s advice to “buy the best house in the best neighbournood you can afford.” Clearly the neighbourhood trumped the house in our case! Fortunately my hubby is handy as well as handsome, and we proceeded to gut the entire house down to the exterior walls. It didn’t have any insulation at all so we tore out all the lathe and plaster, replaced all the plumbing and wiring, insulated and drywalled. We have enjoyed many stay-cation over the years but it’s been so worth it – I love our house now. This was before kids (thank goodness!). Take advantage while you can :)

BTW, that’s great looking salad!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2011

Wow that is amazing all of the work you did! We are slowly going through the house room by room. I think by 2030 we should be ready to buy wall art. ;)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 21, 2011

I just want to jump into that salad! It looks fantastic. I’m totally loving that jewelery drawer!

lauren @ spiced plate February 21, 2011

what an amazing looking salad! I love making avocado dressing — especially when I’m cleansing, it’s so nourishing and delicious!

BrightBakes February 21, 2011

good luck on the Reno…do-it-yourself projects can sometimes be a bit overwhelming, but the results are SO satisfyiing :)
On to the salads….you are making my month, Angela! With springtime on the horizon I’ve been totally craving this sort of thing!
love,
cathy b.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 21, 2011

I’m pretty sure Ikea directions drive most people to drink. I’m also sure you can’t put them together without at least one snag.

This dressing sounds amazing. I just started using avocado as a dressing and it’s so creamy and delicious. I’ll have to try this dressing!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 21, 2011

The salad dressing looks sooo creamy and delicious! I just want to eat a spoonful of it!

Alaina February 21, 2011

Love the closets!! I can’t wait for a nice big closet. :-)

I love Mike Holmes!! My husband is a big fan of his show!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2011

Eric wants to BE Mike Holmes (or he thinks he is….haha)

Julie @ Shining From Within February 21, 2011

You have my votes :). Doing renos instead of vacation is a smart investment that will stay with you forever rather than a vacation! That chickpea salad looks SO GOOD and simple to make too. How do you always make the most drool-worthy stuff?! ;)
You’re a goof!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 21, 2011

I always feel so accomplished after actually putting furniture together. Nevermind that I’ve probably taken some pieces apart more times than I’d like to count – it’s the end product that matters, right?! haha

Good luck with the floors! I think we have some reno-cations in our future as well. :)

Baking 'n' Books February 21, 2011

I think you should consider opening a Cafe in addition to your Bakery…salads, sandwiches, soups, pasta dishes – and then dessert with coffee and tea – what more could you want? :)

Michelle February 21, 2011

I love concoctions like this! I’ve made avocado dressing before, and it’s TO DIE FOR.

Jenn from Much to My Delight February 21, 2011

Woo-hoo! I’ve been looking for more recipes that include tahini. I’ve got this primo jar of the stuff sitting in my fridge and there’s only so much hummus one person can possibly eat. I already have all these ingredients in my house too. Bonus! Thanks for posting this.

PS: I wrote about your awesome blog today on my site!

Kelsey February 21, 2011

Avocado and tahini are two of my favorite foods; this looks delicious!!

I’m very new to blogging but have been following your blog for a while and I just wanted to say I love it and you’re awesome! :) I made a version of your famous raw chocolate chip cookies this weekend and they turned out beautifully. So THANKS :)

Good luck working on your house!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2011

Thanks Kelsey!

sadiah February 21, 2011

I can’t wait to try this. I made your vegan alfreado recipe last night, and I couldn’t believe how amazing it was. I felt like I was glowing :D

Thanks for your site!

Katie February 21, 2011

Avocado and tahini in one dressing?!? You are a girl after my heart.

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh February 21, 2011

The organizer looks perfect! I def need one of those =] And I am running to the grocery store as we SPEAK, because i want to make that salad NOW :)

Lily's Health Pad February 21, 2011

IKEA may be cheap…but NOTHING from there is easy to put together!!!!!!

kate@ahealthypassion February 21, 2011

I love IKEA I could spend hours in that store! Oh and that salad looks to die for, I love lots of good healthy fats :)

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan February 21, 2011

You have no idea how good this salad sounds to me right now. I’ll be making it this week for sure!

Andrea @ Vegvacious February 21, 2011

Oh yum! I love avocados, tahini and chickpeas (but I’ve never had them together) and our warm weather last week has definitely put me in the mood for some salads! I’m planning to start Kris Carr’s 21 day cleanse next weekend and I think this salad will fit in very nicely with her principles.

Happy Family Day to you!

Lisa February 21, 2011

I seriously wish you could by my very own personal chef!

Sarah February 21, 2011

The Hus and I did quite a few renovations last year. One of my favorite parts was stripping wall paper. Wish I could come over to help- Pennsylvania is a little too far from Canada, I think:-).

Ashley February 21, 2011

When will people learn popcorn belongs in the belly, never on a ceiling. Le sigh. Good luck with the reno-cating, your salad looks amazing. I’ve never had tahini but I think I’m gonna pick a jar up soon to try.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2011

haha i love that quote. The trends, they come and go…

Shanna February 21, 2011

Or maybe Eric’s “stripping” is just trying to put some craziness into your RENO-cation ;)

felicia February 21, 2011

Wow! Good luck with the renovation. I’m sure it will turn out beautifully.
You always make the most delicious-looking and sounding foods!

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 21, 2011

What a great combination of flavors for a salad!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 21, 2011

haha happy reno-cation! I would love to take some days off with ma man to do housework! I’m a nerd like that ;)

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher February 21, 2011

Angela! You had me at avocado :)))

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen February 21, 2011

I never have good luck putting together anything…c’est la vie. Love the microwave idea with the macaroons – that sounds awesome.

Page 1 of 3123»