Detox Blonde Macaroons

IMG_1249

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Valentine’s Day Recipe contest…I really wish that we could make all of your delicious looking recipes! Eric chose Healthy Hoggin’s Detox Blonde Macaroon recipe submission as the final contest winner. Congrats! Please email me (angela [at] ohsheglows.com) to claim your Glo Bakery gift card. :)

Ever since I started making dark chocolate and chocolate peanut butter macaroons for the Farmer’s Market last summer, Eric has been completely smitten over them. (This is coming from someone who isn’t a big coconut fan too!) When he saw this recipe, he was desperate for me to make it…

IMG_1243

IMG_1246

I made a few changes to the original recipe:

• I used a vanilla bean for an intense vanilla flavour,
  • I increased the kosher salt to really make the sweetness pop,
  • I decreased the vanilla extract a bit.

The first thing I did was make the coconut butter in the food processor, by processing 2 and 2/3 cups of shredded coconut for about 5 minutes.

IMG_0216

You can also use 1 cup of store-bought coconut butter (but it will be much more expensive).

IMG_0236

Gather your 6-7 ingredients and mix everything together in a large bowl.

IMG_1229

I decided to make a Vanilla Bean flavour, so I scraped a vanilla bean and added that into the batter. It was probably the best tasting batter I have ever tried. WOW. I seriously considered not baking the macaroons and just eating the batter for dessert!

But, alas, I had to complete my mission…

Spoon onto a baking sheet. I didn’t care about making them raw, so I baked them at 300F in the oven. You can also make these in a dehydrator, but you will have to dehydrate them for 24-48 hours. I just couldn’t wait that long!

IMG_1230

Bake for 25-28 minutes at 300F. Watch closely after 22-24 mins.

IMG_1234

The macaroons will be really crumbly when you take them out of the oven so it is important not to touch them and allow to cool for at least 25 minutes.

Once they set, they will be nice and crisp on the outside and soft and gooey in the middle. They have a lovely toasted coconut flavour too. Just perfect!

IMG_1239

I couldn’t get over how easy they were to make.

IMG_1243

Eric said, ‘They would go perfectly with a cup of tea.’ and then he proceeded to eat about 5 of them…without tea ;)

IMG_1254

Next time, I might bake them for a bit less time because I think I over baked them just slightly, but they were delicious none the less. I am already imagining all kinds of different flavour combos to make. I’m sure the recipe is very adaptable!

IMG_1266

Are you a macaroon fan?

P.S.- Coming up this week on Oh She Glows…RENO WEEK ! Ahhhhhh…

IMG_9479 IMG_9483

We are renovating our dining room (below) and also installing an Ikea wardrobe in our bedroom closet. I will be documenting it all through thick and thin.

IMG_9470 IMG_9448

Sketchie is very concerned…

IMG_9483-2

We have already managed to mess up the Ikea wardrobe instructions, so I think we are on the right track! (We currently look like the top left picture….I wish I was joking…)

IMG_9481

P.P.S.- Thanks for your votes!

blog-awards-badge

1 Marie-Sophie February 20, 2011

I am ADDICTED to coconut at the moment – have to make this ASAP !! Thanks, Angela! :-)

2 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 20, 2011

YES I just bought some unsweetened coconut and a food processor last week!! I am SO making these! I am a coconut FIEND! :D

Oooh renovating is so exciting!! Can’t wait to see how it turns out! Good luck with those instructions! :P

3 Britton February 20, 2011

Could agave syrup be used instead of maple syrup?

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

Not sure, I would ask the pro!

5 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 21, 2011

YES! I made this with agave (don’t like maple) and they are super delish!

6 Britton February 21, 2011

Thank you! I bought a ton of coconut today and can’t wait to try it!

7 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 21, 2011

Agave would definitely work! Though, you may want to start off with a little less, since it’s sweeter than maple syrup!

8 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 20, 2011

These look amazing! I’m impressed Eric chose something non-chocolate. :)

Good luck with the renovation!

9 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) February 20, 2011

IKEA scares me! These look really good–I just made homemade coconut butter yesterday (via Ashley’s instructions). I haven’t had the Artisana kind, because I can’t justify shelling out that much money, so I don’t really have anything to compare it too, but I was impressed. It’s a bit gritty in texture though, not sure if that was because the coconut I bought was more dried out.

Can’t wait to see all your reno pictures!

10 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 20, 2011

Good luck with the Ikea install! Sometimes their products are so easy to put together, and sometimes they are a real headache :(

That pic of Sketchie is hilarious! What a face!

I have won macaroons from Healthy Hoggin in the past — they are wonderful! And I am also not a coconut fan — but they were delicious! Congrats to Megan for winning the V-Day contest!

11 Gail February 20, 2011

That cartoon on those diagrams of the sad and happy faces is hilarious!

12 Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh February 20, 2011

Oh how I loooove coconut! Those look yummy! I have put together ikea furniture before…I exchanged a few unkind words….it was not pretty :) lol

13 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 20, 2011

Ooooh IKEA furniture…. seems like such a good idea at the time… until you get the allen keys out! I can’t wait to see your new renos. The roons sound awesome – and I’m not even a coconut fan! Vanilla gets me every time though. :)

14 Violetta Maria February 20, 2011

That looks incredible. Definately making some today. PS I was organizing my recycleing last nigh and all of a udden I saw a familiar face. It was you! In the regina leaded post. The article was great but I tought they should have focused more on you. Im really glad that more people are getting the oppertunity to be exposed to Oh She Glows!

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

haha that is funny you saw it! Glad to know I was recycled ;)

16 Megan February 20, 2011

YUM. I’ve had a hankering for macaroons for months, but no vegan recipe. I can’t wait to try these.

17 Abby White February 20, 2011

Hello Angela:

I just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog. I am not even a vegan but have made several of your dishes/desserts and I love them! My family loves them as well and don’t even know that they are vegan. I am very inspired by your story and can’t wait to make the above Macaroons next. I just finished making the No Bake Chocolate Crispie Treats so will have to wait a few days. Ha.

Thanks again.

Abby

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

Thanks Abby :)

19 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 20, 2011

Sketchie is the cutest!! Good luck with the renovations. Can’t wait to read all about them and see the finished product.

20 Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty February 20, 2011

LOVE the idea of a blonde macaroon. Maple syrup??! What an interesting idea. Bet they help fuel the renos. :-)

21 Carla @ Will Run for Health February 20, 2011

funny you should post this…I’ve been having a craving for a blueberry macaroon. Weird? I know.

22 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 20, 2011

I don’t think i’ve ever had a macaroon before! I’m excited to try them sometime though! <3

23 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 20, 2011

I don’t know how I’ll be able to keep my hands off of them to let them cool when they come out of the oven!

I love Sketchie! He reminds me so much of my old cat, Georgie :)

24 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 20, 2011

We are huge coconut fans at our house. These would be a huge hit!

As soon as I read the recipe I was thinking of replacing the almond extract with lemon extract or rind. Vanilla and lemon? Yes please! Good luck with reno week! I can’t wait to see the end result.

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

lemon would be lovely!

26 Mandy@One Hungry Mess February 20, 2011

That coconut butter looks fantastic, I might have to give this a go since I’ve never had it before :o
Isn’t Ikea the coolest store ever?! I could (and have) spent hours in that place! Everything is so versatile and really allows for creativity and making it your own.

27 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 20, 2011

Mmmm…I have recently started liking coconut and these look amazing! Now I need an excuse to make them. ;)

28 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 20, 2011

I freaking love macaroons.

29 Julie February 20, 2011

I’ve never tried macaroons but they seem so easy to make it looks like i’m gonna have to ;). I just renovated my room too! After 2 coats of paint we realized the color looked terrible & had to re-do it the next day, ahhhh! Better luck to you!

30 Michelle February 20, 2011

Those look heavenly! And I LOVE the colors you picked out for the room! My study is really similar to the lighter teal – it was from Restoration Hardware. Can’t wait for more reno posts!

31 Sana February 20, 2011

The top left pic is too scaryy!

32 Liz @ iheartvegetables February 20, 2011

Hahaha Sketchie does look a little concerned ;) Ikea furniture is never as easy to put together as I think it will be!

Those macaroons look delicious!

33 Allison @ Food For Healing February 20, 2011

oh those look tasty

34 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 20, 2011

These looks absolutley wonderful! They do look extremely easy to make as well. I’ve never actually cooked with vanilla bean, though that is something I really want to try.

35 Anne February 20, 2011

Lol at IKEA picture. Currently doing some ‘refreshing’ around the house, and I definitely feel your pain. Good luck!!

36 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner February 20, 2011

Those look so delicious, unfortunately I don’t like coconut. I like the flavor but not the texture.

37 Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 20, 2011

This recipe looks wonderful! The coconut, maple syrup, vanilla bean, and almond extract must make for some absolutely incredible flavor! YUM :)

38 Alex @ Healing Beauty February 20, 2011

I love coconut and I love the name of these macaroons!!

39 kate@ahealthypassion February 20, 2011

wow angela those look amazing and the pictures are beautiful as usual! I love your blog.

40 Emily @ One Sweet Vegan February 20, 2011

My husband had the lucky privelege of assembling 5 of those Ikea wardrobes when I was pregnant. Unfortunately (for him) I wasn’t able to help since I was on bedrest. We’re so happy with the wardrobes that we want them in every bedroom now.
Those macaroons look wonderful!

41 Alaina February 20, 2011

I looove macaroons! I bet the real vanilla really adds a great flavor.

And I agree, those do look like they would go good with tea. :-)

42 JL goes Vegan February 20, 2011

The macaroons look wonderful but….

…”concerned Sketchie” may be my favorite Sketchie pic to date! So cute!

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

he’s in another world I think…ya know the lights are on but no one is home…lol

44 Baking 'n' Books February 20, 2011

They do look moist – so I think I would like them!…with chocolate-chips ;)

But why are they called Detox??

45 Katey @ Bonne Santé February 20, 2011

Ooooh I love Healthy Hoggin’ – so glad to see her recipe on Oh She Glows!
These looks divine!

46 Sierra February 20, 2011

Wow…that is so ironic, cuz I was craving macaroons yesterday! I made your no bake chocolate macaroons and they were AMAZING!!! And I can just tell your dining room is going to be beautiful! Can’t wait to see pictures! :)

47 Lauren @ Clean Eats in the Dirty South February 20, 2011

bahahaha I love looking at the Ikea instructions just for the pictures. No words, just pictures. My kind of manual! :)

48 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 20, 2011

Megan at Healthy Hoggin ALWAYS has awesome recipes. Love that girl!

“WOW. I seriously considered not baking the macaroons and just eating the batter for dessert!”–That would have been truly okay :)

The #1 reason I dont use my dehydrator is the time factor…i just don’t have 24+ hours to work on dehyd’ing one recipe. Patience, planning. And oh yes, the scents of coconut wafting through the house for day(s) on end before you can eat it is just NOT fair! So I like my oven for most recipes. I dont care about raw status (anymore). Never really did, now…not at all. I prefer fast/easy status :)

Great job on these and the vanilla bean IN the batter….mmmm, good! :)

49 Lauren at KeepItSweet February 20, 2011

These make me wish I liked coconut!

50 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 20, 2011

YAY!! I’m so glad you both enjoyed the macaroons!! I’ve been guilty of eating JUST the batter on many occasions, too. ;) I’ve tried many variations– one of my favorites is adding cocoa powder and a touch of cinnamon to make a delicious “Mexican Hot Chocolate” flavor!

Thanks to Eric, as well, for picking my recipe!!

51 Jodie February 20, 2011

I have never had a macaroon. :(

52 Andrea @ Vegvacious February 20, 2011

Oh those look so good and easy to make!! I love coconut, I’ve been adding handfuls of it to each batch of granola that I make!

53 Moni'sMeals February 20, 2011

thanks in advance, I must try these!

54 stacey-healthylife February 20, 2011

What a simple recipe and they look amazing, especially the texture.

55 JenATX February 20, 2011

i’ve never had macaroons! i feel so left out

56 Rebecca February 20, 2011

How did you know I am currently in a coconut-loving phase? These look delicious – and easy! and chocolate-free! ( I know, I’m a girl who hates chocolate – we DO exist :) I’m making them soon for sure. Thanks so much for keeping me well-fed here in Paris! Bisous

57 Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 20, 2011

Ohhh that description sounds heavenly! Crisp on the inside and gooey in the center with a butter, vanilla flavor. Yes. :)

58 Annie@stronghealthyfit February 20, 2011

I LOVE macaroons and this post makes me want some!

59 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 20, 2011

Those macaroons look awesome! They remind me of the ones my grandma used to make. :)

60 Ashley February 20, 2011

Love those pictures of Sketchie, and those macaroons look amazing!

61 Ashley-Fit Food Lover February 20, 2011

These look so amazing! And they’re gluten-free! Woo hoo! I am definitely going to have to give them a try.

62 Emily February 20, 2011

i must try this recipe! i’m recently vegan and even though i’ve been a follower for years, now your site really applies to me! i might feature some recipes on my blog soon

63 Sarah February 20, 2011

Yes, I am a big fan of macaroons. That recipe makes baking them seem do-able!

64 Nicole February 20, 2011

Hi Angela, I love your blog! Just found it a couple of days ago and I cant wait to try most of the recipes.
Do you have a recipe for almond milk?
Thanks!

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

No I dont but I have seen many around the web. :)

66 Leia March 1, 2011
67 Daisy February 20, 2011

Oh my gosh, these look amazing! I’m scared that if I try baking my own, I’ll eat them all in one sitting!

By the way, I’ve been lurking on your blog for some time now and just started up my own! :)

68 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie February 20, 2011

Good luck on the decorating!! Your closet sounds so exciting :)
I am not a fan of coconut unfortunately!

69 Hannah February 20, 2011

Eric is a made after my own heart, as I just made snack balls yesterday and have already eaten 12 of the 26. Oops! I’ll definitely try these soon, although I had a complete fail when trying to make coconut butter from coconut last week. 45 minutes of processing, and it was still grainy and dry. What the?!

70 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 20, 2011

That recipe warms my heart! I love coconut based treats, and these look so pure! I love recipes where maple syrup is the sweetner. Delicious!

71 Ellie@fitforthesoul February 20, 2011

Mmmmm! I’ve been using a lot of coconut flour lately! It’s amazing~have you tried it? I think making cookies with them would turn out sooo goooood~And THIS–makes me ravenous haha. :D Doesn’t it feel so good when our men like our food?! :P

72 Crystal February 20, 2011

I’d dip those bad boys in chocolate! Chocolate macaroons are one of my favourites. :)

Also, LOL @ Sketchie’s expression! So funny!

73 Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen February 20, 2011

This recipe sounds (and looks) absolutely incredible. I’ve never thought to just pulverize coconut into the butter…need to get on that.

74 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 20, 2011

Growing up I was never a coconut fan, but after discovering real coconut, not the sweetened kind or processed coconut in candy, I love it! I want to run to the store and refill my coconut supply and make these. I’d be down with these detox cookies for sure!

75 katie February 20, 2011

hey!
those look so good! coconut is a big obsession of mine

just thought i’d stop by and let you know that i talked about you in my blog post today!

76 Taylor February 20, 2011

oh those macaroons look amazing. Good choice to make! They look so fluffy and delicious.

77 Sarah (Flavoropolis) February 21, 2011

These look fantastic! Coconut is one of the top 5 most perfect foods in my opinion, and I love the short and coconut-centric ingredients list!

78 Cara Craves... February 21, 2011

Good choice on this recipe, it looks fab.
Anything with coconut is a winner in my books.
I just returned from the Philippines today with two big
jars of fresh coconut jam in tow! Can’t wait to try it.

79 Leia February 21, 2011

I love macaroons and I will definitely try these! Thanks Angela & Healthy Hoggi. I’ll definitely be checking our her blog too. :)

80 Lindsay {DesignerWife} February 21, 2011

Those macaroons look AMAZING! I’m so trying them this week :) Can’t wait to see the renovations!!

Linds

81 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 21, 2011

oh my gosh! i cant believe how simple and easy these are!!!

82 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 21, 2011

Hehe, Sketchie is SO cute! :D Your macaroons look delicious! :D

83 marla {family fresh cooking} February 21, 2011

Loving these moist & delish looking coconut macaroons!

84 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life February 21, 2011

another great-looking recipe!! your home is really coming along–i’m so impressed.

85 Amber K February 21, 2011

I have never liked macaroons. Probably because I hate coconut ;)

86 lauren @ spiced plate February 21, 2011

Inspired the triple inspiration of having almond meal, seeing the macaroons at my husband’s bakery, and reading this post, I made my own macaroons this morning — but replaced the coconut with almonds. They’re making my belly happy as I type this!

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2011

yum great idea!

88 Sarah February 21, 2011

I just made these and am impatiently waiting for them to cool! The batter was so delicious! I felt lazy and didn’t want to get a bowl dirty, so after making the coconut butter in my food processor, I just pulsed the rest of the ingredients in. Couldn’t resist adding some vegan chocolate chips. Love your blog. Can’t wait to try some of your green monster recipes.

89 Lynn~The Learning Curves Blogger February 21, 2011

My macaroons just came out of the oven and smell heavenly! What a treat to actually enjoy a treat without feeling guilty!!

90 Molly February 22, 2011

So good! I halved the recipe and they still worked well. When I made the coconut butter in the Vitamix blender, it was still a little “dusty,” but worked fine to create the balls. I made about 14 and cooked them for 20 minutes. I could have pulled them out at 18-19 I think.

91 Zestful Lou February 22, 2011

Please excuse my while I wipe the drool from my chin as I race to the kitchen. ;-)

92 Ashley @ Cupcakes & Combat Boots February 23, 2011

I just got done making these and they are the BOMB!!! I seriously could eat every single one right now if I would let myself. I love the crispy outside with the gooey inside. Mmmm! Thanks so much for sharing!

93 Kristina S February 24, 2011

First off, I LOVE YOUR BLOG! Every Wednesday, my friend and I get together and make a new recipe off your site (I have tons of pics to prove it) ! Tonight we had the Tahini Avocado Salad (YUM), and we also tried making these, but unfortunately, we messed up somewhere! We used coconut oil instead of the homemade coconut butter, and it ended up melting together and never rising! They did taste delicious, even in the failed attempt. Your recipes never disappoint!

94 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 26, 2011

Glad they still tasted delicious! Coconut oil is a LOT more liquid-y than coconut “butter” so for the next time you make them, try using just a 1/2 cup of the coconut oil…

95 Marian Schembari February 24, 2011

Whoa!!! These look AMAZEBALLS but I don’t know what I did to make them come out so wrong! First of all, I blended my unsweetened, pre-shredded coconut for 35 minutes and it still didn’t turn into buttery goodness. Then, I baked these babies and they spread all across the pan into one giant mess. Maybe my blender is crap? The oven wasn’t hot enough??? This makes me so sad – they look delicioso!

96 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 26, 2011

Sorry to hear about the trouble! That’s a LONG time to blend and not get coconut butter! Do you have a food processor that you could try next time? I’ve heard people have great success with that. The homemade coconut butter can still be a little “grainy” for this recipe, but it should definitely look creamy and butter-like. You can always sub a cup of Artisana Coconut Butter as well, but it’s pricier.

Perhaps chilling the batter in the fridge before baking would keep the cookies from spreading next time? You could also cut back on a bit of the coconut butter to reduce the oil, which may be the cause of spreading…

Hope that helps!

97 Marian Schembari February 26, 2011

Yeah, used the food processor but it only has one speed so that may be it. You’re so sweet to respond though! I ate the macaroon puddle anyway just because the flavor was so good. Will definitely have to try chucking them in the fridge next time!!

98 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan February 24, 2011

Hooray for Megan! Now I HAVE to try making those.

I love the concerned kitty pic!

99 gloria February 24, 2011

I love coconut and and I am off all refined sugars and flours and chocolate….so I was super excited to try these. I was very impressed with the coconut butter. I couldn’t believe that simply putting coconut in my food processor for several minutes, would turn to liquid. My 9 month old and I were anxiously awaiting the results together. Anyway, my macaroons were very wet and did not stick together. I added more coconut, but didn’t help much. Maybe I should of added more?!? All that to say, I love them!!!

100 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 26, 2011

Hmm… the batter should be fairly wet, but it should be wet and sticky! I use a mini ice-cream scoop to place the wet batter on my baking sheet, which keeps my hands clean and the macaroons well-formed. Maybe try chilling the batter for 10-15 minutes next time, before scooping?

101 Jeni February 26, 2011

What did I do wrong!? I tried to make these and they just melted into one big blog on the cookie sheet. :(

102 Tracy @ Commit To Fit February 28, 2011

I LOVE coconut! I am going to give these a whirl!

103 amy February 28, 2011

I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW THESE WERE CONSIDERED DETOX? THEY LOOK YUMMY BUT ARE THEY HEALTHY TOO?

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2011

You would have to ask Healthy Hoggin as she came up with the name and recipe :)

105 Leia March 1, 2011

Oh nooo! I was so excited to try these and I couldn’t get past the first step! I tried to make coconut butter, blended and blended for 20 minutes and nothing happened! So I just gave up and left. I think there must have been something wrong with my coconut! Boo :(

106 Whitney March 2, 2011

Mine was EXACTLY THE SAME! It WOULD NOT get buttery! Did you use sweetened coconut? Because I did, and all it did was get crumbly, and I had to ADD coconut milk to it, and then they baked weird and had all kinds of issues!

107 Leia March 3, 2011

Nope, mine was unsweetened! But it did just what you described: went crumbly and just would not get buttery. So sorry it didn’t work out for you either!

108 Whitney March 2, 2011

Hi Angela! I LOVE your blog- thanks for sharing so many incredible recipes and ideas. :) I’ve tried many of your recipes so far and had success with everyone but this one. Sad! The final treat TASTED terrific, but was horrible to work with… Do you have some any ideas about why I processing the coconut was so difficult? Perhaps it’s my lame food processor, but I had that thing running for over half an hour, and the coconut WOULD NOT get past the crumbly phase. It just wouldn’t get buttery (let alone liquidy!) AT ALL, and so it frustrated me and I ended up adding some coconut milk to it to coax it into a wet enough form to use in the batter. Then, I’m sure this struggle made the baking time pretty off, but they took much longer in the oven to get even the slightest bit done, and never got golden like yours. I let them cool on greased wax paper for half an hour, and then when I tried to get them off the paper, they stuck and the paper was stuck to the pan! It was a nightmare scraping them off and picking bits of paper off the bottoms. Any suggestions for the butter issue?? A new food processor? Blender? They taste great, and I’d like to try them again, but will definitely buy a silicone baking mat first!

Thanks for your help and ideas as always!

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2011

Others have had this problem and my guess is that it is your food processor..its only supposed to take about 5-10 mins to process!

110 Ann March 4, 2011

This sounds delicious!! I’ve been trying to eat healthier and this has been such a fun and inspiring blog and my “go to” for ideas and recipes. I’ve made 3 recipes in the last few days and this one will be soon.

111 Kathryn March 5, 2011

I cut this in half and something went all wrong. They are flat as pancakes!!!! I have a cookie sheet of flat pancake macaroonish type things. Totally going to eat them anyway and I have a excuse to make a FULL batch asap!