Detox Blonde Macaroons

IMG 1249   Detox Blonde Macaroons

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Valentine’s Day Recipe contest…I really wish that we could make all of your delicious looking recipes! Eric chose Healthy Hoggin’s Detox Blonde Macaroon recipe submission as the final contest winner. Congrats! Please email me (angela [at] ohsheglows.com) to claim your Glo Bakery gift card. :)

Ever since I started making dark chocolate and chocolate peanut butter macaroons for the Farmer’s Market last summer, Eric has been completely smitten over them. (This is coming from someone who isn’t a big coconut fan too!) When he saw this recipe, he was desperate for me to make it…

IMG 1243   Detox Blonde Macaroons

IMG 1246   Detox Blonde Macaroons

I made a few changes to the original recipe:

• I used a vanilla bean for an intense vanilla flavour,
  • I increased the kosher salt to really make the sweetness pop,
  • I decreased the vanilla extract a bit.

The first thing I did was make the coconut butter in the food processor, by processing 2 and 2/3 cups of shredded coconut for about 5 minutes.

IMG 0216   Detox Blonde Macaroons

You can also use 1 cup of store-bought coconut butter (but it will be much more expensive).

IMG 0236   Detox Blonde Macaroons

Gather your 6-7 ingredients and mix everything together in a large bowl.

IMG 1229   Detox Blonde Macaroons

I decided to make a Vanilla Bean flavour, so I scraped a vanilla bean and added that into the batter. It was probably the best tasting batter I have ever tried. WOW. I seriously considered not baking the macaroons and just eating the batter for dessert!

But, alas, I had to complete my mission…

Spoon onto a baking sheet. I didn’t care about making them raw, so I baked them at 300F in the oven. You can also make these in a dehydrator, but you will have to dehydrate them for 24-48 hours. I just couldn’t wait that long!

IMG 1230   Detox Blonde Macaroons

Bake for 25-28 minutes at 300F. Watch closely after 22-24 mins.

IMG 1234   Detox Blonde Macaroons

The macaroons will be really crumbly when you take them out of the oven so it is important not to touch them and allow to cool for at least 25 minutes.

Once they set, they will be nice and crisp on the outside and soft and gooey in the middle. They have a lovely toasted coconut flavour too. Just perfect!

IMG 1239   Detox Blonde Macaroons

I couldn’t get over how easy they were to make.

IMG 12431   Detox Blonde Macaroons

Eric said, ‘They would go perfectly with a cup of tea.’ and then he proceeded to eat about 5 of them…without tea ;)

IMG 1254   Detox Blonde Macaroons

Next time, I might bake them for a bit less time because I think I over baked them just slightly, but they were delicious none the less. I am already imagining all kinds of different flavour combos to make. I’m sure the recipe is very adaptable!

IMG 1266   Detox Blonde Macaroons

Are you a macaroon fan?

P.S.- Coming up this week on Oh She Glows…RENO WEEK ! Ahhhhhh…

IMG 9479   Detox Blonde Macaroons IMG 9483   Detox Blonde Macaroons

We are renovating our dining room (below) and also installing an Ikea wardrobe in our bedroom closet. I will be documenting it all through thick and thin.

IMG 94702   Detox Blonde Macaroons IMG 94482   Detox Blonde Macaroons

Sketchie is very concerned…

IMG 9483 2   Detox Blonde Macaroons

We have already managed to mess up the Ikea wardrobe instructions, so I think we are on the right track! (We currently look like the top left picture….I wish I was joking…)

IMG 9481   Detox Blonde Macaroons

P.P.S.- Thanks for your votes!

blog awards badge2   Detox Blonde Macaroons

Marie-Sophie February 20, 2011

I am ADDICTED to coconut at the moment – have to make this ASAP !! Thanks, Angela! :-)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 20, 2011

YES I just bought some unsweetened coconut and a food processor last week!! I am SO making these! I am a coconut FIEND! :D

Oooh renovating is so exciting!! Can’t wait to see how it turns out! Good luck with those instructions! :P

Britton February 20, 2011

Could agave syrup be used instead of maple syrup?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

Not sure, I would ask the pro!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 21, 2011

YES! I made this with agave (don’t like maple) and they are super delish!

Britton February 21, 2011

Thank you! I bought a ton of coconut today and can’t wait to try it!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 21, 2011

Agave would definitely work! Though, you may want to start off with a little less, since it’s sweeter than maple syrup!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 20, 2011

These look amazing! I’m impressed Eric chose something non-chocolate. :)

Good luck with the renovation!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) February 20, 2011

IKEA scares me! These look really good–I just made homemade coconut butter yesterday (via Ashley’s instructions). I haven’t had the Artisana kind, because I can’t justify shelling out that much money, so I don’t really have anything to compare it too, but I was impressed. It’s a bit gritty in texture though, not sure if that was because the coconut I bought was more dried out.

Can’t wait to see all your reno pictures!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 20, 2011

Good luck with the Ikea install! Sometimes their products are so easy to put together, and sometimes they are a real headache :(

That pic of Sketchie is hilarious! What a face!

I have won macaroons from Healthy Hoggin in the past — they are wonderful! And I am also not a coconut fan — but they were delicious! Congrats to Megan for winning the V-Day contest!

Gail February 20, 2011

That cartoon on those diagrams of the sad and happy faces is hilarious!

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh February 20, 2011

Oh how I loooove coconut! Those look yummy! I have put together ikea furniture before…I exchanged a few unkind words….it was not pretty :) lol

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 20, 2011

Ooooh IKEA furniture…. seems like such a good idea at the time… until you get the allen keys out! I can’t wait to see your new renos. The roons sound awesome – and I’m not even a coconut fan! Vanilla gets me every time though. :)

Violetta Maria February 20, 2011

That looks incredible. Definately making some today. PS I was organizing my recycleing last nigh and all of a udden I saw a familiar face. It was you! In the regina leaded post. The article was great but I tought they should have focused more on you. Im really glad that more people are getting the oppertunity to be exposed to Oh She Glows!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

haha that is funny you saw it! Glad to know I was recycled ;)

Megan February 20, 2011

YUM. I’ve had a hankering for macaroons for months, but no vegan recipe. I can’t wait to try these.

Abby White February 20, 2011

Hello Angela:

I just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog. I am not even a vegan but have made several of your dishes/desserts and I love them! My family loves them as well and don’t even know that they are vegan. I am very inspired by your story and can’t wait to make the above Macaroons next. I just finished making the No Bake Chocolate Crispie Treats so will have to wait a few days. Ha.

Thanks again.

Abby

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

Thanks Abby :)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 20, 2011

Sketchie is the cutest!! Good luck with the renovations. Can’t wait to read all about them and see the finished product.

Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty February 20, 2011

LOVE the idea of a blonde macaroon. Maple syrup??! What an interesting idea. Bet they help fuel the renos. :-)

Carla @ Will Run for Health February 20, 2011

funny you should post this…I’ve been having a craving for a blueberry macaroon. Weird? I know.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 20, 2011

I don’t think i’ve ever had a macaroon before! I’m excited to try them sometime though! <3

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 20, 2011

I don’t know how I’ll be able to keep my hands off of them to let them cool when they come out of the oven!

I love Sketchie! He reminds me so much of my old cat, Georgie :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 20, 2011

We are huge coconut fans at our house. These would be a huge hit!

As soon as I read the recipe I was thinking of replacing the almond extract with lemon extract or rind. Vanilla and lemon? Yes please! Good luck with reno week! I can’t wait to see the end result.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

lemon would be lovely!

Mandy@One Hungry Mess February 20, 2011

That coconut butter looks fantastic, I might have to give this a go since I’ve never had it before :o
Isn’t Ikea the coolest store ever?! I could (and have) spent hours in that place! Everything is so versatile and really allows for creativity and making it your own.

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 20, 2011

Mmmm…I have recently started liking coconut and these look amazing! Now I need an excuse to make them. ;)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 20, 2011

I freaking love macaroons.

Julie February 20, 2011

I’ve never tried macaroons but they seem so easy to make it looks like i’m gonna have to ;). I just renovated my room too! After 2 coats of paint we realized the color looked terrible & had to re-do it the next day, ahhhh! Better luck to you!

Michelle February 20, 2011

Those look heavenly! And I LOVE the colors you picked out for the room! My study is really similar to the lighter teal – it was from Restoration Hardware. Can’t wait for more reno posts!

Sana February 20, 2011

The top left pic is too scaryy!

Liz @ iheartvegetables February 20, 2011

Hahaha Sketchie does look a little concerned ;) Ikea furniture is never as easy to put together as I think it will be!

Those macaroons look delicious!

Allison @ Food For Healing February 20, 2011

oh those look tasty

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 20, 2011

These looks absolutley wonderful! They do look extremely easy to make as well. I’ve never actually cooked with vanilla bean, though that is something I really want to try.

Anne February 20, 2011

Lol at IKEA picture. Currently doing some ‘refreshing’ around the house, and I definitely feel your pain. Good luck!!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner February 20, 2011

Those look so delicious, unfortunately I don’t like coconut. I like the flavor but not the texture.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 20, 2011

This recipe looks wonderful! The coconut, maple syrup, vanilla bean, and almond extract must make for some absolutely incredible flavor! YUM :)

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 20, 2011

I love coconut and I love the name of these macaroons!!

kate@ahealthypassion February 20, 2011

wow angela those look amazing and the pictures are beautiful as usual! I love your blog.

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan February 20, 2011

My husband had the lucky privelege of assembling 5 of those Ikea wardrobes when I was pregnant. Unfortunately (for him) I wasn’t able to help since I was on bedrest. We’re so happy with the wardrobes that we want them in every bedroom now.
Those macaroons look wonderful!

Alaina February 20, 2011

I looove macaroons! I bet the real vanilla really adds a great flavor.

And I agree, those do look like they would go good with tea. :-)

JL goes Vegan February 20, 2011

The macaroons look wonderful but….

…”concerned Sketchie” may be my favorite Sketchie pic to date! So cute!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

he’s in another world I think…ya know the lights are on but no one is home…lol

Baking 'n' Books February 20, 2011

They do look moist – so I think I would like them!…with chocolate-chips ;)

But why are they called Detox??

Katey @ Bonne Santé February 20, 2011

Ooooh I love Healthy Hoggin’ – so glad to see her recipe on Oh She Glows!
These looks divine!

Sierra February 20, 2011

Wow…that is so ironic, cuz I was craving macaroons yesterday! I made your no bake chocolate macaroons and they were AMAZING!!! And I can just tell your dining room is going to be beautiful! Can’t wait to see pictures! :)

Lauren @ Clean Eats in the Dirty South February 20, 2011

bahahaha I love looking at the Ikea instructions just for the pictures. No words, just pictures. My kind of manual! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 20, 2011

Megan at Healthy Hoggin ALWAYS has awesome recipes. Love that girl!

“WOW. I seriously considered not baking the macaroons and just eating the batter for dessert!”–That would have been truly okay :)

The #1 reason I dont use my dehydrator is the time factor…i just don’t have 24+ hours to work on dehyd’ing one recipe. Patience, planning. And oh yes, the scents of coconut wafting through the house for day(s) on end before you can eat it is just NOT fair! So I like my oven for most recipes. I dont care about raw status (anymore). Never really did, now…not at all. I prefer fast/easy status :)

Great job on these and the vanilla bean IN the batter….mmmm, good! :)

Page 1 of 3123»