Taco Salad For One + Using Props in Photos

We had such a warm, Spring-like day yesterday! The temperature reached 11C and it was sunny for most of the day. Spring fever is officially in full force. Sun

[Sadly, as I type this, a cold front has moved in and a snow storm is due tomorrow. A little piece of me just died inside.]

But since I am writing this post a day late, I am going to pretend this is today’s weather.

A lot of the snow and ice melted…and we can now see patches of grass.

Note: patches of grass. I’ll take what I can get…

IMG_9447

I went outside for a 2 mile run to celebrate the warm weather. It turned out to be the perfect mid-day pick me up during a busy work day (I was out and back in under 20 minutes!).

Then I chowed down on this awesome Taco Salad. This salad is definitely a keeper and will add a fun change to your lunchtime routine!

IMG_1188

The first thing I did was make the Cilantro-Lime Dressing by processing the following ingredients:

IMG_1164b

It makes enough for 1 serving.

IMG_1168

Now, in the same processor bowl (no need to rinse!) add in 1 cup of bean medley and 3 tbsp of walnuts.

IMG_1169

The original recipe was not vegan, so I thought this would be a great way to make a veggie ‘meat’. The walnuts gave it an amazing texture so make sure not to over process them.

The Taco ‘Meat’ turned out DELICIOUS- much better than ground beef in my opinion. ;) One serving of this packs in over 17 grams of protein and over 14 grams of fibre too.

IMG_1176b

Grab your other veggies for the salad…whatever your little heart desires.

IMG_1177

Mix everything together and serve. Easy as that.

IMG_1188

This was a great lunch and a fun change from normal salads.

IMG_1197

Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, or salad toppers.

IMG_1220

Using Props with Food Photography

Lately, I have been making an effort to create a scene when I shoot my food photos. In the professional world, this is called Food or Prop Styling.

In my amateur world, it is called playing around with my photos. ;)

Prop styling is basically a way to:

1) Fill up empty space in your photo

2) Create a realistic scene at a table

3) Add dimension and depth

4) Make the photo come ALIVE!

If you are interested in reading more on this subject, there is a great article on Prop Styling here.

Here is one of the first shots I did for this Taco Salad:

IMG_1224

It is a boring and blah photo, eh?

Nothing in the background = empty space!

IMG_1224b

After

Then I tried to fill up the empty space using a few ‘props’. (I dislike using the word prop when the things I used were actually things that I used for lunch!)

IMG_1188

By just adding a simple bowl of crackers and a bright dish towel, I was able to fill up some of that boring empty space.

IMG_1188b

Side by side:

Before                                                                                 After

IMG_1224 IMG_1188

Big difference!

I also filled up some empty space in my Garbanzo Bean Soup photos.

Before:

IMG_0273

That one didn’t start off incredibly bad since I already had a second bowl of soup in the background and a napkin, but there is still a huge amount of empty space in the shot.

IMG_0273b

Then I added a colourful placemat in the background (on a diagonal), a lemon zester, a few lemons, and some paprika.

IMG_0298

The photos came alive!

IMG_0291

Looking at the photo today, I actually think it might be a bit too busy. A good rule of thumb with Food Styling is to remove one prop before shooting. You know the saying that you should remove one piece of jewelry after getting dressed? Well, the same applies here. ;)

Before                                                                                   After

IMG_0273 IMG_0291

You can also see in this Avocado-Lime Black Bean Salad that I used 2 simple props to add dimension: an avocado and 2 limes. It really made the pictures pop!

20101102-IMG_939620101102-IMG_9409

In the Vegan Alfredo, I used some herbs scattered about and a rustic looking placemat. It was SO simple and so effective.

IMG_8110

In my vegan nog recipe and High Protein Split Pea Soup, I used a holiday theme with a couple bulbs, a red placemat, and some garland.

IMG_6261 IMG_6704

Generally, I ask myself what about the recipe jumps out at me and then I use that as my inspiration!

• What flavours are prominent?
  • What colours pop out?
  • What are the main ingredients?
  • What is the theme of the dish (i.e., is it Christmas, Halloween, Birthday, etc)?
  • Type of cuisine
  • What tools were used in the preparation

Of course, sometimes all I want is a beautiful close-up to highlight a dish as in my Red Quinoa Salad!

IMG_9488

The point is to have fun with your photography and experiment, above all. :) Get creative and don’t be afraid to take some bad photos (I have LOTS that I should probably delete off my hard drive…or so my husband tells me…lol)

Missed my other photography posts? Check out How to make a Light Box and How to make a Light Reflector in 1 minute flat.

1 kalli February 19, 2011

that taco salad looks do good especially the taco “meat”. your photos always look so professional-great tips!

2 Erin @ The Grass Skirt February 19, 2011

I’m new to food photography (and photography in general), so I love your tips, Angela. Please keep them coming! :) Oh and the taco salad looks amazing.

3 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 19, 2011

Food styling is definitely something I need to work on so I loved this post! I also need to figure out how to create focus on my main object while diffusing the background. Adobe and I are going to be getting friendly over the next few days :)

4 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 19, 2011

Angela I loved these tips — I’ve thought that the reason my pictures aren’t fantastic is because of my camera, but I know I can do better — just seeing your examples of “before/after with/without props” shows how much better they look without empty space.

And I eat taco salad at least once a week — I’ll have to try your “meat”! :)

5 Jenny February 19, 2011

Thanks for all the tips! ANd I love the “taco Meat.” I’m not vegetarian or vegan but I’m slowly making the move. This is a great idea to make a taco salad! Love love love..

6 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 19, 2011

Awesome tip! I can’t believe the difference a few “props” can make. Thanks for the visual accompaniment with explanations – sometimes I need it spelled out. :)

7 Vanessa February 19, 2011

That taco salad looks absolutely amazing! I am going to try Oprah’s Vegan challenge next week and I am definately adding this to my menu!

8 Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 19, 2011

Great advice Angela! I never thought of adding backround props, but it makes sense! Your pictures look amazing. :-)

9 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 19, 2011

That salad looks AMAZING!! The vinegarette especially looks to DIE for!!

LOVE your tips!! I’m an awful photographer! I just snap a shot quickly and go! I’ll try to take your tips on board though, cos your pics always look SO professional!! :)

10 Amanda (Eating Up) February 19, 2011

These tips are great! And that salad looks so flavorful. Ole!

11 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life February 19, 2011

It’s totally true–the pictures really do come alive!

12 Albizia February 19, 2011

Thanks for the photography tips. In food blooging good pictures are really important. If I don’t fall in love with the meal at first sight, I will never try it and all these bright colors and little details definitely help much for the overall impression. Well, even your worst pictures look better than mine so there’s no doubt I will try many of your recipes :) .

13 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 19, 2011

These are AWESOME tips Ange!!! You are so good at taking photos – I love them all! Oh, and you’re making me SO hungry for lunch with that Taco Salad!

14 Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 19, 2011

This is fantastic advice, thanks Angela! You always do amazing work with your pictures, they’re all so creative and beautiful.

Loving the taco meat with beans and walnuts, this is a must try recipe for me!

15 Christina February 19, 2011

Looks delicious! I especially love the “taco meat” idea.

16 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 19, 2011

your props certainly do work!! so so skillful! and I LOVE your taco meat creation- so clever!

17 Sarah @ veggie-kids.blogspot.com/ February 19, 2011

Yummy recipe! And I love the tips on photography. You’re so generous in sharing all you’re “secrets” that you’ve discovered with all of us! How’s that cookbook coming along? Can’t wait to get my copy….

18 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) February 19, 2011

I love all of the props you use in your photos. Thanks for the great tips!

19 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 19, 2011

The props in your photos make your photos look so real and edible! Sometimes props can be too busy but you do a great job of keeping it simple. I like the “remove 1 prop before shooting” idea.

20 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe February 19, 2011

Wonderful pointers! I rarely take the time to do this stuff but it really does make a difference.

21 Leia February 19, 2011

Definitely going to try this! And thanks for the photography tips. Will definitely take them into consideration!

22 Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo February 19, 2011

Wow, Angela, these are really great tips! I am really interested in food styling and trying to get my photos to look more professional…sometimes less isn’t more! Thanks for a great post!

Taco salad = amazing.

23 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 19, 2011

Thank you for the photo tips love!! I will be sure to keep the prop ideas in mind:) Slash I LOVE taco salad!! Thank you for the recipe girl, I love “for one” recipes because you can make it for lunch so quick and easily!

24 Kristy @ KristyRuns February 19, 2011

The difference in the photos is amazing. Mad skillz, yo. :)

P.S. I love the bean+walnut combo for you “meat.” Might sub-out tempeh for that sometime in my vegan taco/nacho recipes!

25 Alex @ Healing Beauty February 19, 2011

Thanks for the great tips on using props! I think I have a lot of empty space in my pictures so I appreciate the suggestions! The taco salad also looks amazing and easy! I have admittedly used vegan “meat” but I love the idea of using beans and walnuts! :)

26 Lauren at KeepItSweet February 19, 2011

I love taco salad- what a great substitute for meat!

27 megan @ blackberries for jam February 19, 2011

I love that you described this salad as “feisty”! I’m sold!

And these are wonderful tips on food photography. I have a lot to learn and little pointers like this are much appreciated!

28 Natalia - a side of simple February 19, 2011

Great tips, Angela, thank you so much for taking the time to share! Though, in my opinion, your recipes and dishes need no props :) Your food always looks delicious and so fresh! Plus, I kind of have a thing for taco salads, especially for “one.”

29 Sharon February 19, 2011

I love all of your photos! I’m not a photographer at all but I use some of the same ideas when painting. My high school art teacher was constantly talking about creating movement in the picture that would make the viewers eyes move around the photo. Dead space stops that movement and makes the picture boring. When I do take pictures of food I try to keep these concepts in mind. You do it so much better than I do though! ;)

This is unrelated to this post – I have been vegetarian for about 5 years now and am about 90% vegan and before that I ate a fairly healthy diet. Last night I had dinner with a group of friends who… well lets just say they don’t have any healthy eating habits. I brought your two bite double down dark chocolate brownies. I loved them! Not too sweet, loved the dark chocolate taste and the nutty flavor of the whole wheat flour. I was so disappointed that none of them liked them… at all. It bothered me so much because I know the reason why they don’t like them is because they are used to eating a bunch of processed crap all the time – hyper sweet foods that are full of unhealthy fats and garbage. I love the taste of wholesome healthy foods and it is so discouraging to me that others don’t taste what I taste when eating them. All of this long comment was basically to express my frustration but ALSO to ask you what you would serve if you were feeding a bunch of college students who have basically never had healthy food in their lives? What main dish and what main dessert do you think would go over the best?

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2011

Yes movement is a great word to use when trying to set the scene for a photo!

It doesn’t surprise me that a junk food lover wouldn’t like these as they are not super sweet, so if they are used to eating super sweet foods then it would be a shock to the system I guess..haha.
I would suggest the pumpkin gingerbread, pumpkin pie brownie, or the double chocolate torte (although it needs to be chilled!) all on the right hand side of my blog. :)

31 Sharon February 19, 2011

Thanks Angela :)
This morning I decided I should have gone with the double chocolate torte. Just didn’t have the time and had to throw something together. Ooooh well. Their loss and my gain. I only have two left out of the whole batch ;)

32 Andrea @ Vegvacious February 19, 2011

Angela ~ you are amazing!!! I haven’t had a taco salad since I became a vegetarian and that is something that I used to love! I cannot wait to try this salad recipe. We have recently had some warm weather and I have been craving more ruffage lately and this is going to hit the spot!!

It’s amazing what a difference filling the empty spaces in your photos make – your pics are lovely!

33 Lauren February 19, 2011

This is such a great post. Thanks for the tips, Angela. You’re pictures are always the best!

34 Julie @ Shining From Within February 19, 2011

GREAT photography tips! I’m loving all your posts on tips + tricks for photographing food. You inspire me! That taco salad looks easy & nutritious too. I’m lookin’ forward to salads again ;).

35 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 19, 2011

Great tips. You always have beautiful photos.

36 Gwen~healthymamma February 19, 2011

First, I love this taco salad! I can’t wait to try the dressing next time we have one, which is about once a week here! ;)
Thanks for these tips! very straightforward and simple. It’s soooo hard to set up a pretty shot with 4 kids knawing on my ankles! That, poor lighting and a camera without a low depth of field means I usually end up doing close ups, boring! I’ll keep trying tho! thx ;)

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2011

your pictures are always beautiful and clean looking!

38 Gen February 19, 2011

That salad looks amazing! Thanks for posting the recipe!!!!
Also, the photo tips are wonderful! =D

39 Michelle February 19, 2011

Great lesson! I’ve really been wanting to improve my food photography and writing skills. Thanks for the info :)

40 Heather (All Sizzle No Steak) February 19, 2011

Tacos/taco salad is my achilles heel! Yours looks sooo good!

41 Namaste Gurl February 19, 2011

Never thought of adding walnuts to beans– what a fun discovery! I bet pepitas would be equally as good, with black beans I presume :)

42 Mel Def February 19, 2011

I don’t think I have ever commented on your blog before although I follow it fervently. When is your cook book coming out? You have this food blog down to a craft. Beautiful pictures, great recipes and great writing and on top of everything else, generous enough to share your tricks as to how you are so darned good.

Hurry up lady. :) The world NEEDS your recipes. Hard copy. To smear those pages with Earth Balance, dribble organic tomato sauce upon and fill the binding with Nooch. If you are half as beautiful on the inside as your blog shows, then what luck those that have you in their life must celebrate every time they are in your company.

Thanks for what you do. You are truly the example to follow.

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2011

My goodness you are too sweet! Thank you for your encouraging words. I’m currently working on a cookbook proposal. It’s coming slow, but I want to do it right :) All the best, Ange

44 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 19, 2011

Great tips! I have been learning so much about food photography as I have been going along. It’s amazing to see how much my pictures have improved since I started blogging.

45 Katie February 19, 2011

Wow – that taco “meat” idea is genius!

Your food photography has really become something else! Such beautiful work :)

46 Allison @ Food For Healing February 19, 2011

saskatchewan just finished with some snow, so be prepared :P its -27C here today :S

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

i think we are getting that snow tonight! eek

48 lauren @ spiced plate February 19, 2011

wow — i’m totally using these photography techniques — filling up the empty spaces is something i’ve been ignoring — but your photos look so fantastic all filled up!

49 Lauren February 19, 2011

I really need to do a better job of styling my food photo shoots. This was a great inspirational post! The taco salad looks fabulous. Great idea to add some walnuts to the beans!

50 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 19, 2011

great post! I always forget about empty space in photos when it’s all I learned in art class – myyy bad! hehe

thanks girl!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

51 Amber K February 19, 2011

Your photos are always so beautiful! The perfect mix of decoration without overdoing it :)

52 lindsay February 19, 2011

these are such good tricks! I love the added color too! Gorgeous! Thanks angela.

53 Caitlin @the permanent life February 19, 2011

Taco salads have been popular lately and yours looks amazing of course! Love them! I’m a new blogger so I’ve been working on my photography/food presentation. It’s still pretty yucky but I’m getting better thanks for the great tips!

54 Audrey February 19, 2011

Your photographs are always amazing, Angela. It’s amazing to see how far you’ve come in just the year and a half that I’ve been following. Seriously, you could teach a photography class. Your posts are always a feast for the eyes. I loved this behind the scenes look. :)

55 Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 19, 2011

Oh I miss taco salad so much!! I never thought th make meat out of beans. That looks fabulous!

56 Clare February 19, 2011

Hi Angela-
I just want to tell you how much I appreciate your blog. And I love that you make you food out of REAL FOOD! Nuts beans, greens, grains! Yay! Thanks for sharing your glow!

57 JL goes Vegan February 19, 2011

First. my plan was to have lentil nachos for dinner tonight — now I’m going with beans and walnuts! LOVE this idea! Thank you!

I just came home from Pier 1 with lots of new placemats and small dishes for photos — and even there thought I don’t know a thing about staging my shots. This is very helpful!

58 Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh February 19, 2011

Taco salads are so yummy! I can’t wait to try your salad dressing! Such a fun new twist on salads! And thanks for your photo helps! Your amazing =]

59 Erika February 19, 2011

Mmmmm – there is so much gorgeousness in this post! So happy to have recently discovered your blog. You create such delicious sounding recipes – I had no idea vegan could be this YUMMY. I’m gluten free as well, and I so appreciate all of your modifications. I made your creamy avocado pasta last week and it was to die for good. Thank you for doing what you do!

60 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 19, 2011

Love the use of props – I wish I had more space in my apartment to store props…until then…I’ll learn from the masters. haha

61 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie February 19, 2011

I love your blog so much! You put so much thought, time and effort into everything I really enjoy reading your tips.. My pics are always boring so I will try some of your suggested options next time I am cooking :)

62 Ellie@fitforthesoul February 19, 2011

Thank you so much for this Angela! I had fun perusing through the whole post :) And that website is very useful too! It’s so interesting how much BRIGHTER the food looks INSIDE the taco salad bowl too~It’s like the props create some kind of bouncing effect for the food to look brighter.

63 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 19, 2011

These are great tips! Thanks Angela!

64 Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty February 19, 2011

The salad recipe looks great! I love the bean/nut idea, although I may use pecans (don’t love walnuts even tho I try).
Sadly, it’s freezing here in Ottawa too. Just a tiny taste of spring is just not fair…. :-)

65 bree marsh @ deliciously dense February 19, 2011

i LOVE your photo tips! thanks!

66 Moni'sMeals February 19, 2011

wow on the photos! they pop right out!

I can’t wait to try the taco meat, yuuum. :)

67 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 19, 2011

The taco salad looks phenomenal! I make taco nut “meat” with sundried tomatoes, walnuts, spices and my hubs even prefers my “meat” to real meat. I love the flavors of everything you used in the viniagrette and love that you kept the bean-meat simple (and yes, dont over process it or it’s mush and no one likes mushy meat…lol). And then all the toppings, peppers, etc you put in…I WANT that meal!

The photography tips…thank you! And for the link on food styling, too.

I honestly don’t know what to do with my “empty spaces” but then I add props and I feel like they look “goofy”. But I guess I need to get over thinking it looks goofy and just add everything from a lemon zester to a random avocado or xmas decorations. Seriously you just showed me the before and afters…and I am doing what you do. I’d rather be overstyled than bare so I am getting over my fear of just putting things in the shot. Thank you, Angela!!!!!!!

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2011

Ohhh sundried tomatoes is a great idea to add to the taco meat! How much do you add?

69 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 19, 2011

Hahaha, your empty space remarks are too funny! :D

Your salad looks very good! Great idea to use beans and walnuts for the meat! And yay for warm weather, I can’t wait until temperatures finally get into the 2 digit °C range again.

70 Tara February 19, 2011

Your pictures are BEAUTIFUL!! I seriously bookmark almost every new recipe you post because a) It sounds delicious, b) It LOOKS so scrumptious

71 Alaina February 19, 2011

Thank you so much for the photography tips!!

I love, LOVE taco salads too. I’ll have to attempt this version. :-)

72 kate@ahealthypassion February 19, 2011

food styling is definitely something I have been working on lately, I finally got a light box so my nighttime pictures have TREMENDOUSLY improved!

73 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) February 19, 2011

Your photos are always so beautiful! You must eat a lot of your meals cold :-)

74 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner February 19, 2011

I feel the same way.. I am all about patches of grass this time of year! YAH for Canadian winters eh?!
Way to go on the run!!

the taco salad looks good!!!

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2011

my patch of grass got covered up today :( I almost cried haha

76 suki February 19, 2011

fantastic tips, Angela! :)

77 Baking 'n' Books February 19, 2011

I think it’s safe to say that are a officially a Baker, Blogger and Photographer.

Beautiful.

78 Sarah February 19, 2011

Hi Angela! I’m a new reader and wanted to let you know I love your blog! I loved all the tips about food styling and using props. It really does make a difference! :)

79 Clare @ Fitting It All In February 19, 2011

Awesome photo tips! It seems like it takes a bit of extra work (when you’re hungry!), but makes a huge difference!

80 Tyrah February 19, 2011

Angela, I don’t know if I’d call you an amateur…you’re are great at food styling. The photos are always amazing!

81 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 19, 2011

What a great taco meat solution! Sounds super tasty.
Thanks for all the photo prop tips, your pictures always look amazing.

82 Kris | iheartwellness.com February 19, 2011

You make me smile ;)

That is all I have to say today! hehe

xxoo

83 Roz February 19, 2011

LOVE the way you style the food in your photos. Thanks for the tips. Have a great weekend, glad you enjoyed the little reprieve from winter!!!

84 Hannah February 19, 2011

Thank you so much for the food styling tips, as this is something I really struggle with. I tend to focus on digital macro shots because my apartment is tiny, poorly lit, and I don’t have many props. But your hints are awesome!

85 Kat @ Cupcake Kat February 19, 2011

This taco salad sounds delicious. I love taco seasoned things.
Thanks for the photo tips. How do you stop yourself from eating the food?!

86 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 19, 2011

Thanks for the tips! This is one thing I need to work on with my photos, and you’ve given me many ideas!

87 Annie D @ Annie's Simple LIfe February 19, 2011

TACO MEAT! So smart. I’m doing this tomorrow!

88 Richelle February 19, 2011

I bet that taco meat is really good. I loved the walnuts in your Ultimate Vegan
Lentil Walnut Loaf, so I am sure they’ll be just as good in the taco meat.

You take such beautiful pictures of your food.

89 Jillian Babbel February 19, 2011

This is soo helpful! I just launched a new healthy blog (http://getfitsisters.com) and have been posting a ton of pictures. These tips are really helpful and I can’t wait to try out some of the tips!

Thanks again!

90 Jessica February 20, 2011

It’s time. I must try the Vegan Alfredo. Wednesday night date night coming up with a bit of deliciousness. And I love what you’re doing with the photography. Always good to push yourself a bit.

91 Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 20, 2011

I totally making that taco salad for dinner tomorrow!! Mmmm!

92 Sarah (Flavoropolis) February 20, 2011

Thanks for the photo tips! My prop styling is literally nonexistant, and I know it’s the biggest thing I need to work on photography-wise. It’s just tough as I just moved to the other side of the country and it’s my first time having my own unfurnished apartment. I own no tablecloths, napkins, place mats, etc., and only one set of dishes. I guess it’s something you have to build up over time, huh?

93 Maria February 20, 2011

I love your blog! Everything you write is so interesting and I can easily relate to so many things in your life. Im also very curious about food, healthy living, exercise, relationships and learning to love myself etc. You are my inspiration! Thank you Angela!

I’m also a newbie in photography but very keen on it, so thanks for the shooting hints :) Have a lovely Sunday!

Maria from Finland

94 Maria February 20, 2011

I found your blog a little while ago and I love it! Everything you write is so interesting and I can easily relate to so many things in your life. Im also very curious about food, healthy living, exercise, relationships and learning to love myself etc. You are my inspiration! Thank you Angela!

Maria from Finland

95 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

Thanks Maria!

96 Michelle February 20, 2011

Angela- a piece of me hit rock bottom too when the wind picked up Friday night! Thursday it got to 15 here in Niagara!! Yesterday we did a 25 km out and back along the north shore to train for Around the Bay. It was so cold and windy! Bring on spring for me too! That being said- your layouts look spring like and happy!!

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

Rock on, you are awesome for running that distance! It was SO windy too!

98 Debbi February 20, 2011

Angela, love the pics, but I have a question – where did you get those fabulous “Twiggy” utensils? Dish, please!

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

The twiggy spoon and knife I have are from Anthropologie :) summer 2010

100 Rachel (tea and chocolate) February 20, 2011

Great idea for using beans and walnuts as taco meat. I’d never have thought of that!

Thanks for the photography hints! Now I just need to work on finding props.

101 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 20, 2011

Oh WOW! The placemats and “props” really do make a difference!!! I love it! :D

102 Katrina (gluten free gidget) February 20, 2011

Great tips! Thank you!

103 eryn February 20, 2011

HI
You dont actually tell us how to make the bean meddley!!! Can you tell me for the tacos please?????????? love your site!

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

Oh it was a can of organic beans called bean medley :)

105 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) February 20, 2011

Two words for my favorite blogger…..You Rock :)

106 Liz @ iheartvegetables February 20, 2011

Thanks for the photography tips!!! I’m always looking for new ways to make my photography come alive!

Oh and that taco salad looks amazzzzing!

107 Emily February 20, 2011

This recipe was RIGHT up my alley! I made it for lunch today. First, it makes a BIG salad, and although it’s not super quick because of all the washing and chopping, it is easy. It was a great lunch, but I felt like something was missing. Next time (which will probably be tomorrow), I might double the olive oil to make the dressing a little richer, or add a few extra walnuts (which really do add a great texture). Oh and don’t forget some salt! Helps the seasoning.

Angela, I had no idea your photos take so much time and effort! I’m so impressed by your creativity. Keep it up!

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

thanks for the feedback! :)

109 Paulina (One Smile Ahead) February 20, 2011

Your tips are amazing! I used them today and my photos came out a 100 times better. Thank you! I also build a light reflector following your instructions and I could see a huge difference right away. It’s awesome seeing an improvement in my photos! I have lots of things to learn about food photography :D Please keep these useful tips coming!

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011

That is great you saw an improvement…I never think my tips will help anyone. :) Glad to know it helped!

111 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf February 20, 2011

That taco salad looks good! It reminds me that I should make things like that more often! I tend to forget about the simple dishes I used to have at home (like taco salad), but really, they’re easily packed with nutrition and a ton of flavor! And I’m not one for meat substitutes, but I love your tip about the mixed beans and walnuts! Just another reason I love your blog: REAL food! No processed soy pseudo-meat.

I recently started getting into staging and propping my food. I picked up some placemats on clearance for 10 cents each at the store, and I pulled out some pretty dish clothes and managed to set a pretty good photo. I haven’t gone so far as to buy particular dishes exclusively for blog photos, but it’s on the list!

112 Megan February 21, 2011

Thank you for those wonderful food photo tips! Your pictures are always beautiful, and those tips really do make them pop :)

113 Eco-Vegan Gal February 22, 2011

Thanks for all the great food styling tips. Your photos always look wonderful and inviting. I’ve been trying to get more into it with my site, and your advice is really helpful.

114 Zestful Lou February 22, 2011

Love the taco meat idea! My boyfriend and I are going vegetarian (and maybe vegan…) for Lent, so I need some good salad protein additions! That dressing looks like it rocks, too!!!