Homemade Wheat Thins

IMG 1161   Homemade Wheat Thins

We are having some unusual warm weather this week and it is giving me Spring Fever like crazy! The snow is melting, our moods are lifted, and I think I should be able to run outside this afternoon once the ice melts. I can’t wait. :)

Now, if only the sun would come out…wlEmoticon sun   Homemade Wheat Thins

Before I get to today’s recipe, I want to tell you about a Breakfast Program for kids called Toonies for Tummies. Toonies for Tummies helps fight child hunger in schools by providing breakfast every morning before hungry children head off to class. The money raised helps as many as 75,000 children across Canada.

It is estimated that as many as 1 in 5 children go hungry every day in the neediest communities across Canada.

You can donate $2 at your participating grocery store or you can donate online here. I think it is a great program and it is such an easy way to make a difference in the lives of children who really need it.

IMG 1146   Homemade Wheat Thins

Growing up, Wheat Thins used to be one of my favourite ‘boxed’ crackers to buy at the grocery store. When I heard that I could make them at home for much less money and without any strange preservatives I was very excited. I made a half batch because I wasn’t sure if I would like them or not, but I really wished that I made a full batch, so I posted the full batch recipe below.

IMG 1153   Homemade Wheat Thins

It is amazing how GOOD these crackers are with just a few basic ingredients!

IMG 1138b   Homemade Wheat Thins

I love recipes that exceed my expectations.

All you do is whisk the dry ingredients, cut in the Earth Balance or butter, add water + stir, and then roll out the dough + slice.

IMG 1142   Homemade Wheat Thins IMG 1144   Homemade Wheat Thins

Do not be afraid of rolling out the dough either. It was very user-friendly! And it doesn’t have to be perfect, so not to worry. I went for the rustic look. ;)

I made traditional rectangles (with rustic edges!), but you can make any shape you want! Triangles might be fun, especially if you used them in dips like guacamole or salsa. A wheat thin tortilla, perhaps?

IMG 1147   Homemade Wheat Thins

Sprinkle with kosher salt before baking. This step is key!  Place on the baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 400F. I rotated the baking sheet half way through baking.

IMG 1150   Homemade Wheat Thins

IMG 1151   Homemade Wheat Thins

In just over 30 minutes, I had delicious homemade crackers.

Allow to cool if you have the restraint.

IMG 1154   Homemade Wheat Thins

I did not.  The crackers sizzled on my tongue. ;)

These vegan wheat thins taste a lot like the boxed version, but we think they taste even better!

IMG 1157   Homemade Wheat Thins

Eric and I both agreed that they are our favourite homemade crackers to date. You just can’t beat how short the ingredient list is and how easy they are to throw together.

IMG 1159   Homemade Wheat Thins

Try them spread with:

IMG 1160   Homemade Wheat Thins

Growing up, what were your favourite boxed crackers? What are your favourite crackers today?

I think my all-time favourite boxed crackers were the Swiss Cheese Crackers (lol), followed by Sour Cream & Chives and Wheat Thins.

Oh and I LOVED Ritz Cheese Bits!

(But, after looking at the ingredient label, I think I will try to make my own version at home!)

Emily February 17, 2011

Be still my cracker-loving heart! Seriously Ange, these are my fav boxed crackers, too, and I’ve been missing them for a while!! Thanks, definitely making this weekend :)

Lauren @ Team Giles February 17, 2011

I’ve been ridiculously addicted to wheat thins lately…. I opened your site and BAM! You have this recipe. Can I come to canada and hug you? I’m so excited to try this! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 17, 2011

hugs! heh

Ann February 17, 2011

Love wheat thins! And this sounds like an easy recipe. I will definitely give it a try.

Kelly February 17, 2011

I am having a party soon and can’t wait to make these! Please do come up with a recipe for Swiss cheese crackers…I know the ones you mean and love them!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 17, 2011

Growing up I loved saltines and Triscuits! Now I’m addicted to Mary’s Crackers. Those can get expensive though at the rate that I go through them. :P This recipe looks great!

Namaste Gurl February 17, 2011

Mmmm, so beats store- bought wheat thins!

Marit February 18, 2011

Hey Angela-
These are kinda similar to the crisp-bread recipe i sent you!
only that has more grains and stuff in it.
I use the crispbread for breakfast with whatever topping i have in the house and i keep a batch at work so i avoid the whole soggy sandwich drama at lunch!
Thanx for sharing!

AC February 18, 2011

Wheat thins were definitely my cracker growing up! Then I started trying all these artisan crackers and turned my snooty nose up at it. Not anymore! Since making your recipe, my love/obsession of Wheat Thins has returned. Thanks!

Have you ever tried Nairns Oatcakes? Quite simple and delish, just like your Thins, and good for savoury and sweet. I think you might enjoy them. :)

Amy February 19, 2011

Hi Angela!

I just made the wheat thins and they are AWESOME. I didn’t have paprika so I added garlic and dill instead…yum!

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Donna February 19, 2011

These look delish Angela, can’t wait to try them!
Too bad our warm weather didn’t stick around
Thanks for yet another great recipe :)

steviejean February 19, 2011

Loved the recipe I cant wait to try it out!!!! I posted this article in my weekly link recap because I loved it so much! Thanks!!!

Susan February 20, 2011

Growing up wheat thins were my favourite cracker! I always used to make shapes with them on the table before eating them. I’ve been wanting to create a healthier version of them for a long time, so I love this recipe! Triscuits were another fave. Although these days my favourite crackers are Wasa crsisps :)

Jenna Z February 21, 2011

Ha, too funny! It was funny to see the crackers cut like this because that’s exactly how I make dog treats!

Michelle February 26, 2011

I am making these this weekend.Can’t wait thanks so much .As well I’m interested in Toonies for tummies..

Liz February 26, 2011

Just made a batch. DELICIOUS. Way better than the boxed kind! Thank you!

Helen February 26, 2011

Hi Angela-
I’ve been reading awhile and finally commenting: these are fantastic! You’re my hero!
My husband didn’t think crackers could be homemade, and he was right-out impressed.
Thanks for this blog and sharing so many of your wonderful recipes and kind thoughts!

Leia March 13, 2011
Holly April 23, 2012

I loved these! Very tasty!!! I rolled my dough through the pasta machine so the thickness was more consistent. Thanks for a keeper recipe :)

Bob May 12, 2012

I added minced onions and dill weed to this recipe it adds some great taste to them. I think I am going to try tomato and basil tomorrow I have some dehydrated tomatoes I’m going to crush and add.

Sawsan (Chef in disguise) May 28, 2012

I love wheat thins
they are the perfect treat in my book and I really can’t wait to try these

Rebecca June 4, 2012

I just made these and they are DELICIOUS! I ate most of the first pan while the second pan was still baking. (Oops!)

I’d like to think of a way to make it with less Earth Balance. Is there anything else that could be substituted? If I’m going to eat whole pans at a time, I want to try to make them a bit lower fat. ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012

Not that I know of Rebecca.

Alethea July 18, 2012

these look great! I can’t wait to try them with some of my homemade baba ganouj I made the other day!

Josiane July 23, 2012

Hey.
Can we remplace the butter by oil like olive’s one? thks ^^

Crystal Hall September 13, 2012

Luckily I stumbled across your blog reading a chatalaine.
I made these crackers with a little hesitance. But good God they were delicious! My kids loved them and I loved them. (meat eater, cave-dwelling husband not so much). I burnt my freaking mouth stuffing the hot crackers into my face they were so good!

Justine October 4, 2012

Homemade crackers are the best! I have found that I like the texture a lot better if I just ripped the dough instead of cutting it. This was discovered accidentally, when one batch I made was a bit too dry and sort of fell apart on me. The edges of the crackers were my favorite! So I went ahead and just ripped the whole batch. The ragged edges of them makes for more air pockets and crunchiness!

Will October 7, 2012

I always revisit this recipe, one of my favorites.

One way to doctor it up is to mix in nutritional yeast. Then when you are rolling it out, dust your surface with more nutritional yeast. AMAZING flavor for cheez it fans like myself.

Julia October 16, 2012

Hey Angela!

Let me first say, I’m a huge fan of your website. Honestly I cook something from your blog at least three times a week. Please keep them coming! I must also admit that I reference your blog so much I actually have it on my bookmarks bar!!

In my pre-vegan days, I loved Cheese Its, and I wanted to try to figure out a way to bring some cheesy goodness to your amazing wheat thin recipe. Done and done! I added about 1/4 (or more) cup nutritional yeast with about 1/4 tsp garlic powder, omitted the vanilla extract and upped the paprika just a sprinkle. They turned out amazing! A great way to have a vegan-friendly cheese cracker. The recipe I used is pretty basic but I’m sure your culinary genius will find a way to make them the most amazing cheese its ever!

I hope that helps some people who get Cheese It cravings like I do!

Thanks for all the recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2012

Wow that is such a great idea! I will have to try that next time I make these. :)
Thanks so much for your kind words about my blog!!! That made my day.

Rachel Amanda November 13, 2012

Oh. My. Goodness. These are amazing! I had half the first tray finished before the second one even came out of the oven!

Seraphina February 8, 2013

Dear Angela,

I’ve been visiting your blog for about 2 years now, and made many delicious meals using your recipes, but this is the first time I’m commenting because the wheat thins are awesome. They are addictive and so dangerous that I keep them somewhere rather inaccessible so I wouldn’t finish them at once. I subbed cayenne for paprika, and omitted the salt sprinkle, but they turned out wonderfully. Thank you for the avocado pasta, the green monsters, the overnight oats, the walnut-lentil loaf, the banana bread, and now this. Looking forward to more news of your book!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2013

Hey Seraphina,

Oh that made me laugh…I have to hide these from myself too! Aren’t they so yummy and total “comfort” food? So glad to hear you enjoyed them too. Thanks for reading!

Wendy February 22, 2013

I just made these and I can’t stop eating them. These are soooooo goooooood!
Mine took a few minutes longer to bake, but I have the feeling mine were rolled a little thicker. I used sunflower oil instead of the butter substitute… Worked without any problems. If you are thinking of trying these, go for it! This recipe is simple, tasty, and fool proof. Thanks for sharing!

Lindsi May 9, 2013

I know you said you used whole wheat flour but do you thnk it would ruin the recipe to use whole wheat bread flour? I just used up the last of my whole wheat flour on making bread but these look so delicious !!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

Hey Lindsi, hmm I’m not sure – I have only tried it with 100% whole wheat flour. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

Lindsi May 10, 2013

I dove in and tried the recipe with whole wheat bread flour and still delicious! They were a little more chewy than i expected but i think next time i will roll them a bit thinner..I’m also thinking about using a bit of dried basil and sundried tomatoes to imitate the store version, my husband is addicted to them! Thanks for another great recipe!

Liane May 30, 2013

Have you ever successfully substituted the whole wheat flour with a gluten free flour?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2013

Sorry bot yet, but let me know if you try it out!

Fourhim316us June 4, 2013

I just found this recipe and made these. OMG!!! I am loving this recipe. Delish crackers and quick and easy. I have been craving crackers and something salty/crunchy since changing my diet. I have found that something. This is a keeper! Thanks girlfriend!

ashley August 1, 2013

I’m about to polish off the whole batch! these are fantastic!

Tanya January 13, 2014

Great, easy recipe. The cooking time for mine was closer to 20 min. I used all-purpose flour instead of whole wheat, since that’s what I had on hand. Maybe that accounts for the longer cooking time?

Leah February 18, 2014

Do you think it would taste ok with brown sugar?

Alli March 20, 2014

Made these this weekend, used coconut oil instead of Earth Balance and they turned out wonderful. I wish I made a double batch! We ate them with some squash and carrot soup (and ate a lot just on their own!)

Laura March 30, 2014

These are great and so easy! I just made a second batch and subbed 1/4 cup of the whole wheat flour with flaxseed meal and it was fabulous – adds a little extra flavor and texture. Thanks for the recipe!

Anna April 7, 2014

omg omg what!? How have I been addicted to your blog for the last 6 months and I discover these on some random webpage through Facebook glorifying snack foods that I’ll never have to buy again?? This is so genius! THANK YOU

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2014

haah enjoy Anna! We love this recipe!

Page 4 of 5«12345»