Homemade Wheat Thins

IMG 1161   Homemade Wheat Thins

We are having some unusual warm weather this week and it is giving me Spring Fever like crazy! The snow is melting, our moods are lifted, and I think I should be able to run outside this afternoon once the ice melts. I can’t wait. :)

Now, if only the sun would come out…wlEmoticon sun   Homemade Wheat Thins

Before I get to today’s recipe, I want to tell you about a Breakfast Program for kids called Toonies for Tummies. Toonies for Tummies helps fight child hunger in schools by providing breakfast every morning before hungry children head off to class. The money raised helps as many as 75,000 children across Canada.

It is estimated that as many as 1 in 5 children go hungry every day in the neediest communities across Canada.

You can donate $2 at your participating grocery store or you can donate online here. I think it is a great program and it is such an easy way to make a difference in the lives of children who really need it.

IMG 1146   Homemade Wheat Thins

Growing up, Wheat Thins used to be one of my favourite ‘boxed’ crackers to buy at the grocery store. When I heard that I could make them at home for much less money and without any strange preservatives I was very excited. I made a half batch because I wasn’t sure if I would like them or not, but I really wished that I made a full batch, so I posted the full batch recipe below.

IMG 1153   Homemade Wheat Thins

It is amazing how GOOD these crackers are with just a few basic ingredients!

IMG 1138b   Homemade Wheat Thins

I love recipes that exceed my expectations.

All you do is whisk the dry ingredients, cut in the Earth Balance or butter, add water + stir, and then roll out the dough + slice.

IMG 1142   Homemade Wheat Thins IMG 1144   Homemade Wheat Thins

Do not be afraid of rolling out the dough either. It was very user-friendly! And it doesn’t have to be perfect, so not to worry. I went for the rustic look. ;)

I made traditional rectangles (with rustic edges!), but you can make any shape you want! Triangles might be fun, especially if you used them in dips like guacamole or salsa. A wheat thin tortilla, perhaps?

IMG 1147   Homemade Wheat Thins

Sprinkle with kosher salt before baking. This step is key!  Place on the baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 400F. I rotated the baking sheet half way through baking.

IMG 1150   Homemade Wheat Thins

IMG 1151   Homemade Wheat Thins

In just over 30 minutes, I had delicious homemade crackers.

Allow to cool if you have the restraint.

IMG 1154   Homemade Wheat Thins

I did not.  The crackers sizzled on my tongue. ;)

These vegan wheat thins taste a lot like the boxed version, but we think they taste even better!

IMG 1157   Homemade Wheat Thins

Eric and I both agreed that they are our favourite homemade crackers to date. You just can’t beat how short the ingredient list is and how easy they are to throw together.

IMG 1159   Homemade Wheat Thins

Try them spread with:

IMG 1160   Homemade Wheat Thins

Growing up, what were your favourite boxed crackers? What are your favourite crackers today?

I think my all-time favourite boxed crackers were the Swiss Cheese Crackers (lol), followed by Sour Cream & Chives and Wheat Thins.

Oh and I LOVED Ritz Cheese Bits!

(But, after looking at the ingredient label, I think I will try to make my own version at home!)

Kim February 17, 2011

Wheat Thins would always top my list of favs growing up but Stoned Wheat Thins (the big ones!!) with pb or cheese whiz would come in a close second :) Thanks for the recipe Angela!!!!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black February 17, 2011

I saw these on her site and am dying to try them, too. WT were always a fav of mine!

Ruthie February 17, 2011

I was NO KIDDING just craving some wheat thins…!!! SO gonna make these babies asap!
:D

Katy @ A Healthy Shot February 17, 2011

I’ve always loooooved goldfish crackers… the original. They’re still one of my favorite snacks, and I love to dunk them in vinegar ;-) Strange, I know. I do the same thing with triscuits and saltines!

Your wheat thins look great- I’ll have to try them out next time I have friends over!

Amanda @ The Artsy Kitchen February 17, 2011

Having an unexpected day off and a fully stocked pantry of baking ingredients is dangerous, I want to make everything I am seeing on everyone’s blogs today!! I just made some amazing muffins now I want to make these!! I might have to.

Jess@atasteofconfidence February 17, 2011

Really want to try these- I love wheat thins!

Rebecca February 17, 2011

Wow! I’m going to make these tonight! What do you think you could add to make it a tomato-basil type of wheat thin? Those are my favorite but I’m not sure how to get that flavor in there..

Laura @ Starting Out Fit February 17, 2011

I think my favourites growing up were a toss-up between vegetable thins and breton crackers. Both SO good!!!

I’m looking forward to trying this recipe on the long weekend! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 17, 2011

I loooved wheat thins growing up! I think some of my favorites were the Ritz peanut butter crackers (the little ones!)

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 17, 2011

Wheat thins were always my fave! I am in love and bathing in this new soy free EB! love it!

xxoo

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 17, 2011

Awesome, Angela!! I’ll definitely be trying these out!

Lauren February 17, 2011

This is definitely one of the most appealing homemade cracker recipes I’ve come across. I need to make them! I loved Wheat Thins as a kid, but nowadays the only crackers I buy are Kashi and Back to Nature. I love the idea of making my own, and I think this recipe will be my first foray :).

Stacey @ Here's to Life February 17, 2011

Those look AMAZING!! LOVE crackers and I can’t wait to try out the recipe! Thanks!

Megan (Braise The Roof) February 17, 2011

My favorite boxed crackers are Wheat Thins, too, so I’ll have to try these! I can’t believe that they’re so simple that I already have all the ingredients at home.

Toby February 17, 2011

Yum! I’m putting these on my ‘must bake’ list for the weekend. They look delicious, I have all the ingredients, and maybe they can break my addiction to Stacy’s Pita Chips.

Erin @ The Grass Skirt February 17, 2011

I was a Thin Mints and Ritz Bits girl all the way as a child. I also liked crackers shaped like ducks called Quackers, but I don’t even know if they still make them! I am definitely going to try your recipe. My husband will love these!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy February 17, 2011

These look so delicious! I try to avoid wheat thins since they contain HFCS–these sound like an awesome way to make them yourself!!

Becky February 17, 2011

I always liked Chicken in a Biscuit, although I still don’t understand the name. Was it supposed to taste like chicken? – because it didn’t.

Ashley February 17, 2011

These were definitely always a favorite cracker of mine along with Saltines + Ritz. They look great Ang!!

Kristen February 17, 2011

I might just have to try these, I haven’t had wheat thins in forever! I think my favorite boxed crackers growing up would have to have been Ritz Bits Peanut Butter =)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 17, 2011

I love making crackers and these look amazing! I think Wheat Thins just offered you a job…but yours look even better than theirs!

I loved!!! Triscuits, Wheat Thins, Ritz, Saltines, you name it, growing up and in my early 20s til i figured out my gluten issues, I used to eat crackers like it was my job. They say you sometimes crave your allergens, well I sure did!

Great work, Angela..they are beautiful! And i love the short ingredient list!

Delishhh February 17, 2011

Ok i am going home to make these. So glad i found this recipe! I never buy wheat thins because of all the stuff that is in it that i will refuse to eat.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 17, 2011

You’re full of great ideas this week! These look fantastic and perfect for hummus-dipping.

I’m loving the Trader Joe’s Salt + Pepper Lentil chips right now.

Audrey February 17, 2011

These look amazing–so much like the real thing. But as you say, BETTER!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 17, 2011

how very eerie. I was only thinking yesterday that I need to start making my own crackers and then WHAM! here is your post!!!

Clare @ Fitting It All In February 17, 2011

I am addicted to Wheat Thins! I definitely need to try making these:)

Susie February 17, 2011

Hi,
I am new to your blog and can I just say I must have been on it for an hour! It’s fantastic. You make me want to be vegan :) In all seriousness, I’m so happy though, to find recipes that are and that I really want to try, especially those wheat thins!!!
I also found your post of when your hubby was quitting coke. I read every single comment because I’m trying to hard, I am truly addicted to diet coke!!!
Looking forward to following your blog!
Susie

Mandy February 17, 2011

Wow! How did no one think of this before? These look so good and easy-with simple, wholesome ingredients! Thanks for this post! I’ll def be trying them!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA February 17, 2011

These do look like Wheat Thins! My favorite crackers as a kid were those min Ritz peanut butter sandwiches. And the cheddar crackers with “peanut butter” filling. You should make a vegan version of those!!!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 17, 2011

More crackers??!? These look fab!

Annie@stronghealthyfit February 17, 2011

Wheat thins were one of my favorite crackers growing up, along with ritz and saltines :-)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 17, 2011

I love Wheat Thins! I can’t wait to try this homemade version!

Laura @ Backstage Pass February 17, 2011

I really like wheat thins and will have to try out this recipe!

Emily @ Emily Says February 17, 2011

Those really look like Wheat Thins! I love this recipe because I already have all these ingredients!

Hannah February 17, 2011

I’ve never had actual wheat thins, but these look great!

Ellie@fitforthesoul February 17, 2011

It looks so legit! :) I had far too many fave crackers back then, but now I’d have to say~Stacey’s pita chips and I DO love me some wheat thins! Hope you’re having a great day

Melanie February 17, 2011

I didn’t roll them thin enough (the middle pieces are a little soft) – but overall, tasty and easier than easy. Will definately make again.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 17, 2011

Ah I wish I had a kitchen right this very second. I have to rely on store bought snacks all the time, but I would love to make my own. Thank you for the awesome recipe, I bookmarked it :)

Jaclyn Trecartin February 17, 2011

Sweet Mother of Pearl! You are my hero.

THANK YOU!

Jaclyn Trecartin February 17, 2011

Also, am I blind and not seeing a box to follow you blog with google, or do you not use that?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 17, 2011

I have some follow boxes on the right hand side bar…Twitter, RSS, Feed, etc. above the afternoon powersnack list. :)

Page 3 of 4«1234»