Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

We loved reading your comments in my Without Self-Love, I have Nothing post. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

IMG 1038   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

When Eric and I first started dating, we did all of the traditional things that we thought we were supposed to do on Valentine’s Day. We went to the crowded restaurants with long wait times and mediocre food. He bought me the over-priced roses and a box of chocolates. I wrote him a sappy poem and I bought him cologne. We often felt pressure to have a ‘perfect’ day.

IMG 1059   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

Then, we realized that we’re not perfect, so we would never fulfill this expectation that we placed on ourselves. But, we could do it our way! We started making homemade silly cards complete with inside jokes. We got each other a thoughtful gift, but we didn’t go overboard. We enjoyed delicious meals in the comfort of our own home, made together. When we did this, we started to enjoy the holiday a lot more.

The perfect Valentine’s Day to us, is really the imperfect one.

I can’t think of a more perfect way to be imperfect than to enjoy a messy bowl of pasta that leaves red sauce in the corner of your mouth and a few stains on your shirt. And if you’re lucky, your partner will remove it for you..

IMG 1053   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

IMG 0995   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

Making this sauce is very easy and it turned out quite delicious. The walnuts were absolutely amazing in this pasta sauce and I would not recommend leaving them out! They really brought the sauce to a whole new level and gave it a wonderful texture and flavour.

IMG 1006   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta IMG 1008   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

I’m sure you will ask me if you can leave out the nutritional yeast and I would say of course! The flavours will change though, so make sure you adapt the sauce to suit your preference.

IMG 1009   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta IMG 1011   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

The spinach was a fun add-in at the last minute. It is a great way to sneak in some GREEN Monsters. wlEmoticon thumbsup   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

IMG 1005   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

IMG 1012   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

The walnuts were our favourite part about this recipe. I thought it would give the pasta sauce a great texture and nutty flavour and it worked wonderfully!

IMG 1015   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

Garnish with some fresh basil leaves and more walnuts and serve!

IMG 1021   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

Love.

IMG 1055   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

It is also a heart-healthy dish to Go Red For WomenwlEmoticon redheart   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

Glo Bakery Update:

• Glo Bar variety packs will be for sale tomorrow, Feb 16th at 10am EST.

Have a great day!

Moni'sMeals February 15, 2011

I love this! I have tried a recipe very close to this…it was so good. So I look forward to this AND the variety of glow bars on sale! woohoo. :)

Moni'sMeals February 15, 2011

Erin February 15, 2011

We decided to do something different this year too – we did a couples’ raw chocolate-making class with the theme of “love and aphrodesiacs.” It was fun and I had no idea how easy it is to make your own raw chocolate! We learned a lot about different mood-enhancing ingredients that can be added to the mix. Plus, nothing says romance like being covered in sticky, chocolatey goodness ;)

Svetlana February 15, 2011

What an amazing recipe!!! Angela, how/with what can I replace the nutritional yeast???

Thank you!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

you can just leave it out :)

Svetlana February 15, 2011

Great, thank you :D

Allison @ Food For Healing February 15, 2011

thats what I call a Perfect Valentines day! the bf and I do the same, we stay at home and avoid the unnecessary crowds of people and expensive gives. we had a romantic night in with pizza. it was perfect in my eyes.

Julia February 15, 2011

I wanna have a bowl of pasta NOW!!!!!! This looks soooo delicious but simple at the same time – the perfect recipe in my opinion!

The same aplies to celebrating “special” days like Valentine’s Day or Anniversaries. Every couple should figure out their own special way of celebrating those days without having to live up to standards. IMHO, these standards are really only followed by newly loves who have not yet found their own path.

Heather (heathers dish) February 15, 2011

What a seriously perfect pasta sauce! I think I’m in love!

Lisa February 15, 2011

YUM! Omggg!

Gwen~healthymamma February 15, 2011

Crushed tomatoes are soooo much better than the jarred sugary pasta sauces. I love the simple additions in this too.

Meaghan February 15, 2011

I love the idea of imperfect Valentines. The whole day makes my guy extra grumpy (he’s always been anti- “do things cuz you’re supposed to” guy, and frankly the grumpiness and resentment of the day itself only makes him cuter (to me). But last night he had class until 8, and when I finished my run, I realized I had time to run out and get him some groceries (my crotchety old man/boy hates the grocery store a lot), so I just added an extra mile to my workout and was there when he came home. We had frozen turkey balls and pasta- possibly the best Valentines we’ve ever had.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 15, 2011

Cooking together with the hubs is so much fun! Your fish sounds wonderful and comforting Angela!

Ashley February 15, 2011

We had pasta for our Valentine’s dinner too– cute heart-shaped ravioli from Costco! We’ve been together seven years and haven’t once gone out to dinner either– too much waiting! But we went out to brunch yesterday, at this local breakfast joint called Squeeze In, and there wasn’t a wait at all, and the food was delish! It was such a wonderful way to start the day:)

Annie@stronghealthyfit February 15, 2011

That looks amazing! I like your approach to Valentine’s Day :-)

Lily's Health Pad February 15, 2011

Stephen and I feel the same way about V-Day. We just like to be ourselves and enjoy the day! We ate pizza and froyo and enjoyed every minute.

Christine (The Raw Project) February 15, 2011

Oh wow, this sounds wonderful and the pictures are amazing. Agreed on not stressing or spending too much on Valentine’s Day and this looks like a wonderful way to spend it. I just want to make this now – thanks!

Amanda February 15, 2011

This might be a dumb question, but is it possible to make crushed tomato sauce by putting some tomatoes in a food processor?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

Im not sure, actually! Anyone know?

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy February 15, 2011

It seems like that would work! I would definitely try it. :)

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 15, 2011

My husband and I are big on staying home for Valentine’s Day now too – it’s just too crazy out there and I enjoy being at home more than waiting around for an hour!

Jess @ MTL Veggie February 15, 2011

I love putting red-pepper flakes in my pasta sauce, they add just the right amount of kick to your dish. I like the addition of walnuts too, great idea- thanks for sharing!

Amanda (Eating Up) February 15, 2011

I normally don’t love Italian, but you have me drooling with this recipe!

Jessica M February 15, 2011

This looks delicious!

I made your oatmeal raisin cookies last night- with choc chips instead of raisins and with spelt flour. They are so good! I love how they aren’t overly sweet like most cookies.

bree marsh @ deliciously dense February 15, 2011

i swear toasted walnuts go great with almost anything!!! savory or sweet!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 15, 2011

“And if you’re lucky, your partner will remove it for you..” The sauce or your shirt? Sorry, I had to!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

that’s for you to decide I guess haha

The Restaurant Manager February 15, 2011

WOW! That looks so good! The photo’s are amazing! Nice job!

Katie February 15, 2011

“And if you’re lucky, your partner will remove it for you..”

Remove the stains or the shirt?!

Danielle February 15, 2011

I loveeee the walnuts and how they had a crunch to the pasta!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner February 15, 2011

walnuts with pasta? i NEVER would have thought!! this actually looks really good though… i may just have to try it out :)

Beach Bum Beauty February 15, 2011

I hate the pressure of Valentine’s Day, we used to go right over the top and it wasn’t enjoyable in the least. Last night we cooked and sat watching tv surrounded by hundreds of tea lights, snuggled up under a duvet. Simple but wonderful :-)

Michelle February 15, 2011

This looks delicious. And boy-friendly, too! :)

Roz February 15, 2011

I’d have NEVER thought to put walnuts in pasta sauce, but I will now! Glad you and Eric had a nice Valentine’s day. My husband and I are proud of our imperfection too! And we have a ton of imperfect fun together, on Valentine’s Day and throughout the year!!

megan @ blackberries for jam February 15, 2011

I agree the best Valentine’s Days are the low key ones that allow you to enjoy the company of each other without any gimmicks or hassles. I love cooking a meal at home on V-day and then taking advantage of the less-crowded restaurants before or after the 14th. Your pasta sauce looks lovely – I can’t wait to try it!

Ellie@fitforthesoul February 15, 2011

Ohhhh that looks delishhh!!! Guess what! Yesterday I was meandering through Costco’s aisles and just happened to see White Linen sauce!! : DDDD I remembered you raved about it and had to purchase it–I cannot wait to give it a try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

mine is all gone now :( lol

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com February 15, 2011

We celebrated V-day with brunch the day before and a relaxing dinner at home the night of. I actually made pasta too- vodka pasta (the recipe is on my blog). Yum!

Btw…do you use regular pasta or a special vegan pasta?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

I used kamut pasta in this dish

Jenny February 15, 2011

Where do you get your nutritional yeast? I’m sure you get asked this but I haven’t found if you’ve posted that! :)

Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 15, 2011

Hey Jenny – I saw your question and thought I’d chime in. You can usually find nutritional yeast in bulk bins at the grocery store, or in health food stores, usually in the baking isle. If that’s not successful, Bob’s Red Mill makes a fantastic nutritional yeast and they have online ordering!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

I buy mine from ontario natural food coop and I think you can find it at Bulk Barn

Jenny February 15, 2011

AWESOME! Thank you dearly:) I’ve seen a lot of different kinds on amazon but didn’t know which was were actually good. I’m really excited to try this stuff, looks great! thank you!

Clare @ Fitting It All In February 15, 2011

My boyfriend and I made a pasta dinner too – a tomato and white bean I learned in a vegan cooking class. But for next year the walnut red sauce sounds perfect!

Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 15, 2011

Oh gosh, I love pasta. I would love this. It looks SO easy!

I normally just eat pasta with coconut oil, pepper, salt, and a bit of minced garlic [usually because I'm too impatient to wait for the sauce] This looks so good though, I may break tradition and make this tonight for dinner. I have all the ingredients!

Colleen February 15, 2011

wow walnuts.. interesting! I have been having a love affair with basil for about three years. it’s so amazing :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 15, 2011

The pasta looks wonderful!

The food photography, as always, spectacular!

And the opening lines about feeling pressure to have “the perfect” V-Day. Yes, I think most of us can look back and recall a time in our life where that was so important. I even see girls doing it for their spouses’/boyfriend’s birthday. Making an epic event out of it. It’s lovely, but just not a standard I can live up to…I have tried, and I end up feeling meh about it all b/c even after all that effort, I just dont feel like I truly succeeded.

So rather than trying so hard…I just let life, and the holiday (whatever it is) be. And let it unfold naturally. That is my yoga, my work, and what I need to tap into…to let go :)

Thanks for letting me ramble :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

I love your outlook on letting it unfold naturally. We are a lot like that now actually. :)

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries February 15, 2011

That pasta looks phenomenal! I love looking at your photos!

Jackie February 15, 2011

Can’t wait to try this one. LOVED your Lentil loaf…how many days do you think it lasts in the fridge? Next time I will freeze half.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

I think it would last for about 5 days probably?

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 15, 2011

I completely agree re your V Day sentiment. This year Mr BBB and I went bike riding then made macarons! It was wonderful :)

Page 2 of 3«123»