Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

We loved reading your comments in my Without Self-Love, I have Nothing post. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

IMG 1038   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

When Eric and I first started dating, we did all of the traditional things that we thought we were supposed to do on Valentine’s Day. We went to the crowded restaurants with long wait times and mediocre food. He bought me the over-priced roses and a box of chocolates. I wrote him a sappy poem and I bought him cologne. We often felt pressure to have a ‘perfect’ day.

IMG 1059   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

Then, we realized that we’re not perfect, so we would never fulfill this expectation that we placed on ourselves. But, we could do it our way! We started making homemade silly cards complete with inside jokes. We got each other a thoughtful gift, but we didn’t go overboard. We enjoyed delicious meals in the comfort of our own home, made together. When we did this, we started to enjoy the holiday a lot more.

The perfect Valentine’s Day to us, is really the imperfect one.

I can’t think of a more perfect way to be imperfect than to enjoy a messy bowl of pasta that leaves red sauce in the corner of your mouth and a few stains on your shirt. And if you’re lucky, your partner will remove it for you..

IMG 1053   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

IMG 0995   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

Making this sauce is very easy and it turned out quite delicious. The walnuts were absolutely amazing in this pasta sauce and I would not recommend leaving them out! They really brought the sauce to a whole new level and gave it a wonderful texture and flavour.

IMG 1006   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta IMG 1008   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

I’m sure you will ask me if you can leave out the nutritional yeast and I would say of course! The flavours will change though, so make sure you adapt the sauce to suit your preference.

IMG 1009   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta IMG 1011   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

The spinach was a fun add-in at the last minute. It is a great way to sneak in some GREEN Monsters. wlEmoticon thumbsup   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

IMG 1005   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

IMG 1012   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

The walnuts were our favourite part about this recipe. I thought it would give the pasta sauce a great texture and nutty flavour and it worked wonderfully!

IMG 1015   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

Garnish with some fresh basil leaves and more walnuts and serve!

IMG 1021   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

Love.

IMG 1055   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

It is also a heart-healthy dish to Go Red For WomenwlEmoticon redheart   Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

Glo Bakery Update:

• Glo Bar variety packs will be for sale tomorrow, Feb 16th at 10am EST.

Have a great day!

Jenn L February 15, 2011

What a fabulous idea to add walnuts! I bet this tasted awesome!!! =) I’m a lazy Vday kind of girl and have realized that trying to make it into some glorious day that everyone else always gushes about – is so not possible for my husband and I and so not worth getting all wrapped up in! =) A spaghetti night sounds like the perfect night for me <3

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Nick February 15, 2011

A personal Valentine’s Day like that means so much more, we did a similar thing – cooked stuffed peppers together, watched our favorite recorded show and played our new favorite game!

And now that I found this recipe, I think I should have added walnuts to those stuffed peppers! We stuffed them with barley, cottage cheese, nonfat mozzarella cheese, spinach, garlic and tomato sauce. But walnuts….I like it…thanks for the idea.

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner February 15, 2011

We also make each other silly cards. For me, that’s so much better than a big box of chocolates. We also use Valentine’s Day as an excuse to treat ourselves to a night out of town, because we love doing that. We’re heading to Boston next week!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

That sounds fun! we often go out to our favourite restaurant the week after V-day when its not as hyped up. :)

Becca February 15, 2011

We’ll go out to eat, but when the prices are brought back down and when the restaurant isn’t at max capacity.

We are the same way; we stayed in, had a homemade meal (and dessert!), and just hung out (and even slowed danced together to the radio!). We both thought it was one of the best V-Days we’ve ever had.

Ari @ TheDiVa DiSh February 15, 2011

Such a beautiful idea. We stayed at home last night and it was so much more personal and fun! It makes it more special when it fits each others personalities! That pasta looks delicious, It is such a romantic dish too =]

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 15, 2011

This looks amazing! I never would have thought to put walnuts in the sauce! How creative!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 15, 2011

this looks soo good :) walnuts add such a great texture and crunch to pasta dishes. i can’t wait to have fresh basil again.. yum!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 15, 2011

Oh yum, this looks scrumptious. And I totally agree about not putting pressure on ourselves for Valentines :)

Julie @ Shining From Within February 15, 2011

WOW! I am a pasta lover so I’ll be making this! I even have all the ingredients on hand…that’s dangerous ;). Yay for Glo Bar variety packs, yum yum yum. I aslo agree that the way a couple puts a unique spin on such a “perfect” holiday is the most special. People set such high expectations, it’s better to just be yourselves and do what is special with one another, not cliche!

Ashley February 15, 2011

That looks so good! I think the crowded restaurant expensive gift valentine’s day is so cliche now and no one really enjoys it. I think the imperfections in life make everything special.

Trish @I_am_Succeeding February 15, 2011

This looks soooo good, never thought about adding nuts, let alone walnuts to dishes like this! What a great protein and healthy fat boost!

Charlie February 15, 2011

This looks sooo good! I love thick tomato pasta sauces!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 15, 2011

“And if you’re lucky, your partner will remove it for you..”

My partner will remove the sauce or my shirt? :) Or both?

Jason and I had dinner at home (your Vegan Alfredo recipe!) and it was lovely. I think eating at home is much more intimate than any restaurant.

Anna February 15, 2011

I was literally just about to make the same comment about the sauce or the shirt, haha! That made me laugh. I’m glad I’m not the only pervert round here!

jane February 15, 2011

ha! i was about to say the same thing!! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

;)

Kim (Bowl of Fruit) February 15, 2011

I am going to have to make this tonight – what a perfect recipe since I have a bag full of basil left over from this weekend! I may up the garlic and onion because I am a fiend for both. :)

Alaina February 15, 2011

That pasta looks unbelievable! I’m glad you and Eric had a good Valentine’s Day!! :-)

kate@ahealthypassion February 15, 2011

I totally agree we stayed in last night and just cooked. It was so relaxing and intimate, definitely the best way to celebrate valentines day! Your pasta looks delicious by the way :)

Nikki T February 15, 2011

I love your perfectly imperfect Valentine’s Day..Nolan and I do the same!
This year he cooked, I helped clean up and we made homemade chocolates (a la Kath Eats) for dessert!
Perfect!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 15, 2011

hehe it’s so funny that you posted a pasta recipe, because yesterday i was listening to the radio and this dj was giving guys tips about what they should and shouldn’t order when going out for valentine’s day dinner… obviously pasta was on the do-not list!! yours however… impossible to resist! have a great day Ange! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

why was pasta on the do not list?

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 16, 2011

just because it’s a messy food :)

Shanna February 15, 2011

Nothing says love like a good dish of pasta! And I love the addition of walnuts. I had a fab Vegan pasta meal a few months ago where the noodles were *made of* walnuts. Neat huh?

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 15, 2011

YUMMY!! I LOVE that this has walnuts in it!! I love my nuts! :D

Emily February 15, 2011

That tomato sauce looks so rich and delicious, simplicity is amazing.

I was my own Valentine and bought myself some dark chocolate coconut ice cream to keep me and Plato company..! <3

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun February 15, 2011

We love lowkey like that too. It makes things so much more enjoyable.

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks February 15, 2011

Mmm, cute story and a delicious recipe! Happy belated v-day to you and Eric!

Amber K February 15, 2011

I can’t believe people actually go out on holidays. The lines, crowds, and prices are all insane!

Emily February 15, 2011

Looks so good!!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 15, 2011

I have never thought of nuts on pasta!! It has been WAY too long since I have had piscetti, time to change that!:)

Katie February 15, 2011

My grandparents were Italian and made spaghetti and meatballs every Sunday. My grandpa always twirled his pasta on a fork like that. *sigh*

Therese February 15, 2011

My tummy just started growling when I saw that dish! Yummy!

My boyfriend and I are similar, we don’t do the “traditional” Valentine’s. On Sunday I sent him on a scavenger hunt around the house to find his cheap but thoughtful gift and then we cooked up a butternut squash and chestnut soup which we ate while drinking some wine and watching a movie. I loved every minute of it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

aww that’s cute!

Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment February 15, 2011

I’m ALWAYS on the hunt for new things I can throw into my pasta… now I finally have a use for those leftover walnuts I have sitting around from my Christmas cookies!

I love the imperfections of celebrating “perfect” holidays. Three years running, I have come down with some kind of ridiculous ailment on either our anniversary or Valentine’s Day — on our one-year anniversary, we had reservations at a fancy Italian restaurant. I had a new dress, killer heels, etc. and was SO excited for a night out. Unfortunately, the big man around town, Mr. Norovirus, wanted to date me that night instead. I always tell people that the most beloved anniversary gift I’ve ever received was Tiffany earrings, a red rose, a bottle of Pedialyte and some ginger ale. Ahh, romance! ;)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life February 15, 2011

Beautiful meal, and beautiful message!!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 15, 2011

Wow – this is gorgeous. I love the imperfect, perfect day. :)

Meg February 15, 2011

Your pasta dishes always look so lovely. Makes me jealous that I always intend to make nice sit down dinners but then decide something faster suits me more.. lol

Ashley February 15, 2011

This is too funny…lately I’ve been making kale pesto + red sauce and topping them both on our pasta or grain or veggie burgers. We love the contrast of both sauces and this looks like you’ve combined them together! Deeelicious! :)

Suzanne February 15, 2011

We had our first all vegan Valentine’s night meal, cooked at home. Perfect!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011

sounds lovely!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 15, 2011

This pasta dish looks delicious!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 15, 2011

My husband and I do (and did) the same thing!!! Taking the pressure off of the “perfect” Valentine’s Day is such a relief– and SO much more fun!

This looks great! I’ve been experimenting with pestos lately too!

Jenny February 15, 2011

Must. Make. This. Soon. Now how to convince my boyfriend that the texture will be fine? (he’s a texture person).

Your Vday logic makes sense…we love the imperfections in our partners, so why would we expect that day to be perfect? Imperfections are just as lovely.

Krystina (Organically Me) February 15, 2011

This looks so hearty and delicious. Love it!

Ann February 15, 2011

I’d rather have homemade tomato sauce than a half-dead bouquet of roses any day. I am going to invest in a bamboo cutting board, your prep photos always look fantastic! My ancient, hacked up board needs an upgrade.

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 15, 2011

I LOVED your lentil walnut burgers and now I have a slight walnut obsession :) This looks delicious!

Megha February 15, 2011

Hey Angela, this looks sooooo goood!! :)

Just quick question, if I do not have nutritional yeast at hand, how much parmesan cheese should I be using?

Malorie February 15, 2011

I swear, you must read my mind! I bought a can of crushed tomatoes last week while grocery shopping and could not for the life of me remember what recipe I was going to use it in. And then you post this! And now the can is saved from being in my pantry for months and months, pushed back behind tomato paste and navy beans.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011