Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 15, 2011

We loved reading your comments in my Without Self-Love, I have Nothing post. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

IMG_1038

When Eric and I first started dating, we did all of the traditional things that we thought we were supposed to do on Valentine’s Day. We went to the crowded restaurants with long wait times and mediocre food. He bought me the over-priced roses and a box of chocolates. I wrote him a sappy poem and I bought him cologne. We often felt pressure to have a ‘perfect’ day.

IMG_1059

Then, we realized that we’re not perfect, so we would never fulfill this expectation that we placed on ourselves. But, we could do it our way! We started making homemade silly cards complete with inside jokes. We got each other a thoughtful gift, but we didn’t go overboard. We enjoyed delicious meals in the comfort of our own home, made together. When we did this, we started to enjoy the holiday a lot more.

The perfect Valentine’s Day to us, is really the imperfect one.

I can’t think of a more perfect way to be imperfect than to enjoy a messy bowl of pasta that leaves red sauce in the corner of your mouth and a few stains on your shirt. And if you’re lucky, your partner will remove it for you..

IMG_1053

IMG_0995

Making this sauce is very easy and it turned out quite delicious. The walnuts were absolutely amazing in this pasta sauce and I would not recommend leaving them out! They really brought the sauce to a whole new level and gave it a wonderful texture and flavour.

IMG_1006 IMG_1008

I’m sure you will ask me if you can leave out the nutritional yeast and I would say of course! The flavours will change though, so make sure you adapt the sauce to suit your preference.

IMG_1009 IMG_1011

The spinach was a fun add-in at the last minute. It is a great way to sneak in some GREEN Monsters. Thumbs up

IMG_1005

IMG_1012

The walnuts were our favourite part about this recipe. I thought it would give the pasta sauce a great texture and nutty flavour and it worked wonderfully!

IMG_1015

Garnish with some fresh basil leaves and more walnuts and serve!

IMG_1021

Love.

IMG_1055

It is also a heart-healthy dish to Go Red For WomenRed heart

Glo Bakery Update:

• Glo Bar variety packs will be for sale tomorrow, Feb 16th at 10am EST.

Have a great day!

Jenn L February 15, 2011 at 9:58 am

What a fabulous idea to add walnuts! I bet this tasted awesome!!! =) I’m a lazy Vday kind of girl and have realized that trying to make it into some glorious day that everyone else always gushes about – is so not possible for my husband and I and so not worth getting all wrapped up in! =) A spaghetti night sounds like the perfect night for me <3

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Nick February 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm

A personal Valentine’s Day like that means so much more, we did a similar thing – cooked stuffed peppers together, watched our favorite recorded show and played our new favorite game!

And now that I found this recipe, I think I should have added walnuts to those stuffed peppers! We stuffed them with barley, cottage cheese, nonfat mozzarella cheese, spinach, garlic and tomato sauce. But walnuts….I like it…thanks for the idea.

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner February 15, 2011 at 10:01 am

We also make each other silly cards. For me, that’s so much better than a big box of chocolates. We also use Valentine’s Day as an excuse to treat ourselves to a night out of town, because we love doing that. We’re heading to Boston next week!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 10:06 am

That sounds fun! we often go out to our favourite restaurant the week after V-day when its not as hyped up. :)

Becca February 15, 2011 at 10:36 am

We’ll go out to eat, but when the prices are brought back down and when the restaurant isn’t at max capacity.

We are the same way; we stayed in, had a homemade meal (and dessert!), and just hung out (and even slowed danced together to the radio!). We both thought it was one of the best V-Days we’ve ever had.

Ari @ TheDiVa DiSh February 15, 2011 at 10:07 am

Such a beautiful idea. We stayed at home last night and it was so much more personal and fun! It makes it more special when it fits each others personalities! That pasta looks delicious, It is such a romantic dish too =]

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 15, 2011 at 10:08 am

This looks amazing! I never would have thought to put walnuts in the sauce! How creative!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 15, 2011 at 10:08 am

this looks soo good :) walnuts add such a great texture and crunch to pasta dishes. i can’t wait to have fresh basil again.. yum!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 15, 2011 at 10:09 am

Oh yum, this looks scrumptious. And I totally agree about not putting pressure on ourselves for Valentines :)

Julie @ Shining From Within February 15, 2011 at 10:10 am

WOW! I am a pasta lover so I’ll be making this! I even have all the ingredients on hand…that’s dangerous ;). Yay for Glo Bar variety packs, yum yum yum. I aslo agree that the way a couple puts a unique spin on such a “perfect” holiday is the most special. People set such high expectations, it’s better to just be yourselves and do what is special with one another, not cliche!

Ashley February 15, 2011 at 10:11 am

That looks so good! I think the crowded restaurant expensive gift valentine’s day is so cliche now and no one really enjoys it. I think the imperfections in life make everything special.

Trish @I_am_Succeeding February 15, 2011 at 10:14 am

This looks soooo good, never thought about adding nuts, let alone walnuts to dishes like this! What a great protein and healthy fat boost!

Charlie February 15, 2011 at 10:19 am

This looks sooo good! I love thick tomato pasta sauces!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 15, 2011 at 10:21 am

“And if you’re lucky, your partner will remove it for you..”

My partner will remove the sauce or my shirt? :) Or both?

Jason and I had dinner at home (your Vegan Alfredo recipe!) and it was lovely. I think eating at home is much more intimate than any restaurant.

Anna February 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

I was literally just about to make the same comment about the sauce or the shirt, haha! That made me laugh. I’m glad I’m not the only pervert round here!

jane February 15, 2011 at 11:43 am

ha! i was about to say the same thing!! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm

;)

Kim (Bowl of Fruit) February 15, 2011 at 10:24 am

I am going to have to make this tonight – what a perfect recipe since I have a bag full of basil left over from this weekend! I may up the garlic and onion because I am a fiend for both. :)

Alaina February 15, 2011 at 10:25 am

That pasta looks unbelievable! I’m glad you and Eric had a good Valentine’s Day!! :-)

[email protected] February 15, 2011 at 10:25 am

I totally agree we stayed in last night and just cooked. It was so relaxing and intimate, definitely the best way to celebrate valentines day! Your pasta looks delicious by the way :)

Nikki T February 15, 2011 at 10:29 am

I love your perfectly imperfect Valentine’s Day..Nolan and I do the same!
This year he cooked, I helped clean up and we made homemade chocolates (a la Kath Eats) for dessert!
Perfect!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 15, 2011 at 10:29 am

hehe it’s so funny that you posted a pasta recipe, because yesterday i was listening to the radio and this dj was giving guys tips about what they should and shouldn’t order when going out for valentine’s day dinner… obviously pasta was on the do-not list!! yours however… impossible to resist! have a great day Ange! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm

why was pasta on the do not list?

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 16, 2011 at 9:26 am

just because it’s a messy food :)

Shanna February 15, 2011 at 10:31 am

Nothing says love like a good dish of pasta! And I love the addition of walnuts. I had a fab Vegan pasta meal a few months ago where the noodles were *made of* walnuts. Neat huh?

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 15, 2011 at 10:34 am

YUMMY!! I LOVE that this has walnuts in it!! I love my nuts! :D

Emily February 15, 2011 at 10:36 am

That tomato sauce looks so rich and delicious, simplicity is amazing.

I was my own Valentine and bought myself some dark chocolate coconut ice cream to keep me and Plato company..! <3

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun February 15, 2011 at 10:38 am

We love lowkey like that too. It makes things so much more enjoyable.

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks February 15, 2011 at 10:39 am

Mmm, cute story and a delicious recipe! Happy belated v-day to you and Eric!

Amber K February 15, 2011 at 10:42 am

I can’t believe people actually go out on holidays. The lines, crowds, and prices are all insane!

Emily February 15, 2011 at 10:43 am

Looks so good!!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 15, 2011 at 10:44 am

I have never thought of nuts on pasta!! It has been WAY too long since I have had piscetti, time to change that!:)

Katie February 15, 2011 at 10:45 am

My grandparents were Italian and made spaghetti and meatballs every Sunday. My grandpa always twirled his pasta on a fork like that. *sigh*

Therese February 15, 2011 at 10:45 am

My tummy just started growling when I saw that dish! Yummy!

My boyfriend and I are similar, we don’t do the “traditional” Valentine’s. On Sunday I sent him on a scavenger hunt around the house to find his cheap but thoughtful gift and then we cooked up a butternut squash and chestnut soup which we ate while drinking some wine and watching a movie. I loved every minute of it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm

aww that’s cute!

Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment February 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

I’m ALWAYS on the hunt for new things I can throw into my pasta… now I finally have a use for those leftover walnuts I have sitting around from my Christmas cookies!

I love the imperfections of celebrating “perfect” holidays. Three years running, I have come down with some kind of ridiculous ailment on either our anniversary or Valentine’s Day — on our one-year anniversary, we had reservations at a fancy Italian restaurant. I had a new dress, killer heels, etc. and was SO excited for a night out. Unfortunately, the big man around town, Mr. Norovirus, wanted to date me that night instead. I always tell people that the most beloved anniversary gift I’ve ever received was Tiffany earrings, a red rose, a bottle of Pedialyte and some ginger ale. Ahh, romance! ;)

[email protected] Sweet Life February 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

Beautiful meal, and beautiful message!!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 15, 2011 at 10:50 am

Wow – this is gorgeous. I love the imperfect, perfect day. :)

Meg February 15, 2011 at 10:50 am

Your pasta dishes always look so lovely. Makes me jealous that I always intend to make nice sit down dinners but then decide something faster suits me more.. lol

Ashley February 15, 2011 at 10:50 am

This is too funny…lately I’ve been making kale pesto + red sauce and topping them both on our pasta or grain or veggie burgers. We love the contrast of both sauces and this looks like you’ve combined them together! Deeelicious! :)

Suzanne February 15, 2011 at 10:52 am

We had our first all vegan Valentine’s night meal, cooked at home. Perfect!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm

sounds lovely!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

This pasta dish looks delicious!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

My husband and I do (and did) the same thing!!! Taking the pressure off of the “perfect” Valentine’s Day is such a relief– and SO much more fun!

This looks great! I’ve been experimenting with pestos lately too!

Jenny February 15, 2011 at 10:57 am

Must. Make. This. Soon. Now how to convince my boyfriend that the texture will be fine? (he’s a texture person).

Your Vday logic makes sense…we love the imperfections in our partners, so why would we expect that day to be perfect? Imperfections are just as lovely.

Krystina (Organically Me) February 15, 2011 at 10:58 am

This looks so hearty and delicious. Love it!

Ann February 15, 2011 at 11:01 am

I’d rather have homemade tomato sauce than a half-dead bouquet of roses any day. I am going to invest in a bamboo cutting board, your prep photos always look fantastic! My ancient, hacked up board needs an upgrade.

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 15, 2011 at 11:06 am

I LOVED your lentil walnut burgers and now I have a slight walnut obsession :) This looks delicious!

Megha February 15, 2011 at 11:09 am

Hey Angela, this looks sooooo goood!! :)

Just quick question, if I do not have nutritional yeast at hand, how much parmesan cheese should I be using?

Malorie February 15, 2011 at 11:11 am

I swear, you must read my mind! I bought a can of crushed tomatoes last week while grocery shopping and could not for the life of me remember what recipe I was going to use it in. And then you post this! And now the can is saved from being in my pantry for months and months, pushed back behind tomato paste and navy beans.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm

haha I always do that!

Moni'sMeals February 15, 2011 at 11:13 am

I love this! I have tried a recipe very close to this…it was so good. So I look forward to this AND the variety of glow bars on sale! woohoo. :)

Moni'sMeals February 15, 2011 at 11:13 am

Erin February 15, 2011 at 11:15 am

We decided to do something different this year too – we did a couples’ raw chocolate-making class with the theme of “love and aphrodesiacs.” It was fun and I had no idea how easy it is to make your own raw chocolate! We learned a lot about different mood-enhancing ingredients that can be added to the mix. Plus, nothing says romance like being covered in sticky, chocolatey goodness ;)

Svetlana February 15, 2011 at 11:15 am

What an amazing recipe!!! Angela, how/with what can I replace the nutritional yeast???

Thank you!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm

you can just leave it out :)

Svetlana February 15, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Great, thank you :D

Allison @ Food For Healing February 15, 2011 at 11:17 am

thats what I call a Perfect Valentines day! the bf and I do the same, we stay at home and avoid the unnecessary crowds of people and expensive gives. we had a romantic night in with pizza. it was perfect in my eyes.

Julia February 15, 2011 at 11:18 am

I wanna have a bowl of pasta NOW!!!!!! This looks soooo delicious but simple at the same time – the perfect recipe in my opinion!

The same aplies to celebrating “special” days like Valentine’s Day or Anniversaries. Every couple should figure out their own special way of celebrating those days without having to live up to standards. IMHO, these standards are really only followed by newly loves who have not yet found their own path.

Heather (heathers dish) February 15, 2011 at 11:31 am

What a seriously perfect pasta sauce! I think I’m in love!

Lisa February 15, 2011 at 11:32 am

YUM! Omggg!

Gwen~healthymamma February 15, 2011 at 11:37 am

Crushed tomatoes are soooo much better than the jarred sugary pasta sauces. I love the simple additions in this too.

Meaghan February 15, 2011 at 11:51 am

I love the idea of imperfect Valentines. The whole day makes my guy extra grumpy (he’s always been anti- “do things cuz you’re supposed to” guy, and frankly the grumpiness and resentment of the day itself only makes him cuter (to me). But last night he had class until 8, and when I finished my run, I realized I had time to run out and get him some groceries (my crotchety old man/boy hates the grocery store a lot), so I just added an extra mile to my workout and was there when he came home. We had frozen turkey balls and pasta- possibly the best Valentines we’ve ever had.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Cooking together with the hubs is so much fun! Your fish sounds wonderful and comforting Angela!

Ashley February 15, 2011 at 12:03 pm

We had pasta for our Valentine’s dinner too– cute heart-shaped ravioli from Costco! We’ve been together seven years and haven’t once gone out to dinner either– too much waiting! But we went out to brunch yesterday, at this local breakfast joint called Squeeze In, and there wasn’t a wait at all, and the food was delish! It was such a wonderful way to start the day:)

[email protected] February 15, 2011 at 12:05 pm

That looks amazing! I like your approach to Valentine’s Day :-)

Lily's Health Pad February 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Stephen and I feel the same way about V-Day. We just like to be ourselves and enjoy the day! We ate pizza and froyo and enjoyed every minute.

Christine (The Raw Project) February 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Oh wow, this sounds wonderful and the pictures are amazing. Agreed on not stressing or spending too much on Valentine’s Day and this looks like a wonderful way to spend it. I just want to make this now – thanks!

Amanda February 15, 2011 at 12:17 pm

This might be a dumb question, but is it possible to make crushed tomato sauce by putting some tomatoes in a food processor?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Im not sure, actually! Anyone know?

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy February 15, 2011 at 11:48 pm

It seems like that would work! I would definitely try it. :)

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm

My husband and I are big on staying home for Valentine’s Day now too – it’s just too crazy out there and I enjoy being at home more than waiting around for an hour!

Jess @ MTL Veggie February 15, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I love putting red-pepper flakes in my pasta sauce, they add just the right amount of kick to your dish. I like the addition of walnuts too, great idea- thanks for sharing!

Amanda (Eating Up) February 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I normally don’t love Italian, but you have me drooling with this recipe!

Jessica M February 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm

This looks delicious!

I made your oatmeal raisin cookies last night- with choc chips instead of raisins and with spelt flour. They are so good! I love how they aren’t overly sweet like most cookies.

bree marsh @ deliciously dense February 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm

i swear toasted walnuts go great with almost anything!!! savory or sweet!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 15, 2011 at 12:53 pm

“And if you’re lucky, your partner will remove it for you..” The sauce or your shirt? Sorry, I had to!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm

that’s for you to decide I guess haha

The Restaurant Manager February 15, 2011 at 1:00 pm

WOW! That looks so good! The photo’s are amazing! Nice job!

Katie February 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm

“And if you’re lucky, your partner will remove it for you..”

Remove the stains or the shirt?!

Danielle February 15, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I loveeee the walnuts and how they had a crunch to the pasta!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner February 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm

walnuts with pasta? i NEVER would have thought!! this actually looks really good though… i may just have to try it out :)

Beach Bum Beauty February 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I hate the pressure of Valentine’s Day, we used to go right over the top and it wasn’t enjoyable in the least. Last night we cooked and sat watching tv surrounded by hundreds of tea lights, snuggled up under a duvet. Simple but wonderful :-)

Michelle February 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm

This looks delicious. And boy-friendly, too! :)

Roz February 15, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I’d have NEVER thought to put walnuts in pasta sauce, but I will now! Glad you and Eric had a nice Valentine’s day. My husband and I are proud of our imperfection too! And we have a ton of imperfect fun together, on Valentine’s Day and throughout the year!!

megan @ blackberries for jam February 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I agree the best Valentine’s Days are the low key ones that allow you to enjoy the company of each other without any gimmicks or hassles. I love cooking a meal at home on V-day and then taking advantage of the less-crowded restaurants before or after the 14th. Your pasta sauce looks lovely – I can’t wait to try it!

[email protected] February 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Ohhhh that looks delishhh!!! Guess what! Yesterday I was meandering through Costco’s aisles and just happened to see White Linen sauce!! : DDDD I remembered you raved about it and had to purchase it–I cannot wait to give it a try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm

mine is all gone now :( lol

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com February 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm

We celebrated V-day with brunch the day before and a relaxing dinner at home the night of. I actually made pasta too- vodka pasta (the recipe is on my blog). Yum!

Btw…do you use regular pasta or a special vegan pasta?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I used kamut pasta in this dish

Jenny February 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Where do you get your nutritional yeast? I’m sure you get asked this but I haven’t found if you’ve posted that! :)

Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Hey Jenny – I saw your question and thought I’d chime in. You can usually find nutritional yeast in bulk bins at the grocery store, or in health food stores, usually in the baking isle. If that’s not successful, Bob’s Red Mill makes a fantastic nutritional yeast and they have online ordering!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I buy mine from ontario natural food coop and I think you can find it at Bulk Barn

Jenny February 15, 2011 at 3:30 pm

AWESOME! Thank you dearly:) I’ve seen a lot of different kinds on amazon but didn’t know which was were actually good. I’m really excited to try this stuff, looks great! thank you!

Clare @ Fitting It All In February 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm

My boyfriend and I made a pasta dinner too – a tomato and white bean I learned in a vegan cooking class. But for next year the walnut red sauce sounds perfect!

Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Oh gosh, I love pasta. I would love this. It looks SO easy!

I normally just eat pasta with coconut oil, pepper, salt, and a bit of minced garlic [usually because I’m too impatient to wait for the sauce] This looks so good though, I may break tradition and make this tonight for dinner. I have all the ingredients!

Colleen February 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm

wow walnuts.. interesting! I have been having a love affair with basil for about three years. it’s so amazing :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm

The pasta looks wonderful!

The food photography, as always, spectacular!

And the opening lines about feeling pressure to have “the perfect” V-Day. Yes, I think most of us can look back and recall a time in our life where that was so important. I even see girls doing it for their spouses’/boyfriend’s birthday. Making an epic event out of it. It’s lovely, but just not a standard I can live up to…I have tried, and I end up feeling meh about it all b/c even after all that effort, I just dont feel like I truly succeeded.

So rather than trying so hard…I just let life, and the holiday (whatever it is) be. And let it unfold naturally. That is my yoga, my work, and what I need to tap into…to let go :)

Thanks for letting me ramble :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I love your outlook on letting it unfold naturally. We are a lot like that now actually. :)

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries February 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm

That pasta looks phenomenal! I love looking at your photos!

Jackie February 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Can’t wait to try this one. LOVED your Lentil loaf…how many days do you think it lasts in the fridge? Next time I will freeze half.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I think it would last for about 5 days probably?

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I completely agree re your V Day sentiment. This year Mr BBB and I went bike riding then made macarons! It was wonderful :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 15, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Great idea adding the walnuts. I love a little crunch with any meal!

Hope you had some help cleaning up any unruly pasta sauce. ;)

Annette February 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm

looks fab! My husband and I also had an “imperfect” Valentine’s Day and it was fabulous!

Mandy February 15, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I’m not taking your ideas for next year! My husband and I tried to go out to eat last night and have a nice night but it turned out to be one of the worst V-day’s ever! No more expectations-just us from now on!

Mandy February 15, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Mandy February 15, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Sorry Sorry!
I AM taking your ideas for next year-yikes! Im spasing out today;)

Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good February 15, 2011 at 6:11 pm

This recipe sounds great! Thank you for including the link to info on nutritional yeast.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 15, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Mm this pasta looks delicious!! It’s pretty similar to a dish that my mom makes, except that my mom puts meat in hers :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm

This looks wonderful, Angela! Tomatoes and basil are some of my favorites. And I’ve just made roasted walnut butter the other day, such a lovely flavor! :D

Hannah February 15, 2011 at 6:55 pm

This looks amazing!! I’ve never seen walnuts used in a red sauce for pasta. THe butteriness must taste wonderful!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 15, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I made your pumpkin pie banana chunk cookies over the weekend and they were awesome! I love that they’re healthy enough to take the place of a granola bar. :D

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) February 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I like your idea of valentines day a lot more than the “perfect” way! I hope you and Eric had a great day yesterday.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) February 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I prefer valentine’s days like that too … we go out for dinner/ on dates/ etc. all the time, so v-day is no big deal. No need to fight crowds.

KimLivesHealthy February 15, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Just bought a shaker of nutritional yeast and didnt’ like it in vegan sausage balls (it smells like biology lab…), but I’m willing to give it another try since this pasta recipe looks SO GOOD!

BTW I made your chocolate chip cookie dough balls recently and can’t wait to have them again… drool :)

Tiffany February 15, 2011 at 7:50 pm

ahhhh SO GOOD!! I just made this for my husband and I for supper…definitely going on my favorites list. Thank you so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2011 at 10:20 am

Glad you enjoyed it!

Nicole @ A Vegan in the House February 15, 2011 at 10:31 pm

This looks delicious. I am making this recipe this week for my family. Can’t wait!

Megha February 15, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Hey, wanted to know if I could use parmesan cheese instead? If yes, then how much would I need to use?

I am so gonna make this, over the weekend!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2011 at 10:20 am

I would gradually add it in if using parm cheese…then you can add it to taste :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 16, 2011 at 6:36 am

This looks delicious, Valentine’s Day or not!

Glenda February 16, 2011 at 10:52 am

Angela, I don’t normally comment on your website, but I do follow it :) Your blog has inspired me with fitness and eating healthy. But most of all, your blog has introduced me to the infamous “green monster”. I just wanted to tell you that I was just reading my local newspaper (Regina Leader Post) and on the front page of the Arts and Life section, you are gracing the page making your “green monster”! I just have to say that I was delighted to see you in our paper and I’m hoping Regina, Saskatchewan catches on to the “green monster” movement and your blog ohsheglows :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2011 at 11:20 am

Thank you Glenda! :) I didn’t know it was in print yet. Exciting!

amanda February 16, 2011 at 11:04 am

This looks amazing! I never would have thought to add walnuts … I’ll have to try it out!

Beth February 16, 2011 at 11:30 am

Well said.
We enjoy spending Valentine’s Day together at home, instead of in a restaurant full of strangers. A wonderfully home cooked dinner, a chocolaty home made dessert, a roaring fire, and a movie we both enjoyed watching snuggled up on the couch.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets February 16, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Oh this looks so good! What a great idea to use nuts to make vegetarian pasta more filling and nutritious! I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of this.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 16, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Pasta is one of my favorites!!! Thank you for this AMAZING recipe! :D

Tamara February 17, 2011 at 11:01 am

This looks so delish Angela, can’t wait to try it!!!

btw, voted for you, Good Lukc!!

T February 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I’m going to make this tomorrow, adding mushrooms to it! I have a spaghetti squash to use up too, will pour the sauce over pasta and spaghetti squash.

Natalie February 18, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I tried this recipe – it was amazing! Thank you.

I do have one question. Have you ever had a reaction to nutritional yeast? Before this dish I have never tried it. After eating it I felt really warm, my skin tingled a bit and I had a really bad headache. Have you or anyone you know ever experienced these symptoms? I have been looking online and apparently there are some serious pros and cons to nutritional yeast since it is processed and in a similar family as MSG. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the postings. I read daily and have tried many of your recipes. Keep Glowing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm

No I havent had that experience before. I’m sorry you did…maybe talk to your doc about it if it persists!

Vegman February 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm

My wife made this for me last week – soooooo good! What a great idea to combine walnuts with basil sauce and pasta. Nuts and pasta need to get to know each other better as far as I’m concerned. I’m converted. Your pal, Vegman.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! :)

Sara February 26, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I made this last week and wanted to tell you that it was the best pasta sauce I’ve had in a very long time!! I doubled it and served it to some family. They loved it! At first I was hesitant of the walnuts, but I was very happy! Added texture, but they also tasted a little ‘meaty’. This was so good that I actually forgo-ed dessert and instead had an extra spoonful of this! Also, with my leftovers I made meatball grinders with this sauce- perfect! Oh- and it was so easy and simple! Another plus! Thank you!

Kristin February 28, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I made this last night and will enjoy the leftovers all week! I did not add the walnuts to the entire batch as I figured they are best served right away – when I heat the sauce in my small saucepan I am just adding the walnuts then. I added mushrooms to this, and I (begrudgingly) used dried basil since my store was out of fresh, but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. So delish – there’s nothing like a big bowl of noodles and tomato sauce. (and I love the protein punch from the nutritional yeast!)

Kerry May 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm

How much pasta did you use?

Meredith September 9, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Soooo good! Just made this for two of my meat-eating friends and they loved it!

Alisha January 6, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Made this last night and it was a huge hit!!! Everyone loved it! Thank you for this recipe!

Morgan January 10, 2013 at 12:06 am

Hey Angela! Do you by any chance have a nutrient analysis for this recipe?? Thanks!

Holly April 9, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Just made this last night. Delicious!! I wasn’t sure about the walnuts, but I loved them. The nutritional yeast made it almost creamy-like. I think I will try it again and add some other veggies, maybe peppers and mushrooms. Thank-you so much for another great recipe!!

Ksenia Klima April 18, 2013 at 5:20 pm

What an awesome recipe! Thank you for sharing your ideas with us. It’s easy to be vegan when there are simple and tasty recipes like this. My husband and I really enjoyed it. Look forward to trying your other recipes!

LaReine June 4, 2013 at 7:13 am

Made this last night. So simple but oh so delicious! Can’t wait to eat it for lunch again today

David May 31, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I make this recipe regularly. It is delicious! I barely make my own spaghetti recipe anymore!

Larissa October 1, 2014 at 11:49 am

This is a great recipe. I’ve made it a few times now. I’m not able to recreate the deep red color you show in your beautiful photos, however, despite following the recipe to a tee. Mine turns out quite a bit lighter in color (I’m guessing due to the walnuts and nutritional yeast. How did you achieve such a rich red hue?

Kate June 24, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Yum! I am currently eating this, awesome and super easy! Thanks!

Zainab August 26, 2015 at 8:44 am

hey, can you please tell me how much pasta shall we use? I’m little confused! :)

Sharon May 18, 2016 at 8:34 pm

I made this for dinner tonight. I did add mushrooms. I used a 13.5 oz box of whole wheat pasta. Makes enough to feed a crowd! We enjoyed it very much. I will definitely make again.

Angela Liddon May 19, 2016 at 7:50 am

I’m glad the pasta was a hit with everyone, Sharon! Mushrooms sounds like a great addition, too. :)

Ranee Franti December 9, 2016 at 7:26 am

Angela your 10 tomato recipes are awasome. I am confusing that what I will select to cook whereas your all tomato recipes are delicious. So finally I choose your Walnut Basil Pasta. Basically I am a cook lover and I love to present different type of dishes for my family. I am going to have to make this evening. Thank you for sharing I will update you after cooking. Have a great day! Take care Angela

bagleyandzooey June 22, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Sorry but I didn’t care for this at all. I can’t even say what it was that didn’t work for me. I followed the recipe very carefully and even waited a second day to see if it was better by then. Nope. Not saving any leftovers on this one.