Mushroom Risotto with Caramelized Onions

Thanks to you, I now have a huge craving for an old flame- Barney Butter. Just when I thought I had left him in the dust…!

Maybe a long distance relationship could work, afterall?

9 (17 of 17)

Aside from Barney Butter and my mouth, there isn’t a better combination than caramelized onions and sautéed Cremini mushrooms. Before I taught myself how to cook, I would have told you there is no better combination than canned mushrooms and pizza sauce, but luckily, I have branched out a bit and discovered a love for things that do not come in a can.

[For the record, I will forever love canned mushrooms. I just can’t help myself!]

9 (3 of 17)

Anyways, when I stumbled upon this Vegan Mushroom Risotto recipe over at The Kitchn, I had to compose myself until I could get to the grocery store for the ingredients. My heart was all a flutter and it filled my every thought. I even found myself obsessively glancing at the picture to make sure it looked as good as I remembered.

Yes, it surely does.

I bought some local Cremini mushrooms, fresh and perfect…

9 (2 of 9)

It is a good day.

9 (3 of 9)

It is not a good day for Eric because he will not touch a mushroom with a ten foot pole!  He really doesn’t know what he’s missing out on.

I married him despite this.

9 (7 of 17)

To be honest, I’m pretty happy to have this dish all to myself. It is quite a bit of work to make and the fact that I got to enjoy it for a few meals was a nice reward. Sharing is overrated, anyways. If your partner does enjoy mushrooms though, this would be a fun meal to make together! And if you are like me, you will ask the man to do all the prep work that you loathe, like chopping onions and garlic.

I’m just nice like that I guess.

9 (14 of 17)

9 (1 of 9)

The changes I made to the original recipe are the following:

• I used barley instead of white rice
  • I used 1 pound of Cremini mushrooms instead of 1/2 pound
  • I used 3 cloves garlic instead of 4
  • I used 3.5 cups liquid veggie broth instead of 2 cups (I had to adjust for the barley)
  • I omitted the white wine as I didn’t have any
  • I used 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar instead of 2
  • I cut the oil down
  • I did not use vegan cream cheese
  • I changed the procedure (the original recipe calls for baking in the oven!)

It still  turned out incredible despite the changes!

9 (1 of 17)

I think next time I will try pearled barley because the pot barley seems to give me stomach pains (hard to digest with the outer husk!).

Make sure that you add the vegetable broth slowly as different grains will absorb different amounts of liquid. You will basically have to eyeball it as it cooks and add more liquid as needed. If you are using white rice, you might only need 2-2.5 cups of vegetable broth.

9 (2 of 17)

Rinse the dirty lil buggers!

9 (4 of 9)

Chop 2 small onions and 3 cloves garlic.

9 (6 of 9)

Sautée.

9 (7 of 9)

Add in sliced mushrooms, and cook for another 5-10 minutes.

9 (9 of 9)

Add in seasonings…salt, rosemary sprig, pepper.

9 (5 of 17)

Now add in the 1 cup of grains and the vegetable broth…gradually.

9 (6 of 17)

Cover and cook for about 20-25 minutes, stirring often and adding more vegetable broth when necessary so it doesn’t burn. If it starts drying out, you need more liquid!

Meanwhile, make the caramelized onions…mmm.

9 (3 of 17)

Watch the onions closely…I burned some of mine because I got distracted by shiny objects. It happens.

When the risotto is ready, stir a spoonful of Earth Balance (or butter) in and serve immediately.

9 (12 of 17)

This recipe takes about 45 minutes of active prep work and another 20-25 minutes to cook. It is quite labourious, but if you make it with someone else it will go much faster!

9 (8 of 17)

Top with lots of caramelized onions.

9 (13 of 17)

When I took my first bite, I forgot about all the chopping and stirring and I said, Yup, it was all worth it.

It is thick, rich, and satisfying with a strong mushroom flavour and pop of sweetness from the caramelized onions. C-O-M-F-O-R-T-F-O-O-D.

9 (16 of 17)

You should also check out the original recipe by The Kitchn’s Faith Durand– it was baked in the oven! I may have to try this next time, but since I didn’t use white rice I wasn’t sure how it would turn out. I made it the traditional way on the stove top just to be safe. If you guys experiment with baking different grains let me know. I’m hoping a quicker cooking brown rice works too!

What food combinations do you LOVE to pair together?

1 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe February 8, 2011

Oh wow, I LOVE onions and I LOVE mushrooms, sounds perfect for me! I haven’t made a risotto in a long time, this one looks amazing.

2 Anna February 8, 2011

This looks amazing! Perfect for a cold evening :)

3 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 8, 2011

Mmm, this looks fantastic!!! I love risotto!! Actually just did an entire post on it and how to use up leftovers! I’ve never made mushroom risotto before, though.

4 Kat @ Cupcake Kat February 8, 2011

Yummy! This looks awesome I love mushrooms (why do some people not like mushrooms?)
The other night I made your recipe for Roast Sweet Potato and Black Bean Warm Salad and that was delicious. I may have to try this too!

5 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 9, 2011

what a coincidence I made that ast night too :D pretty darn good huh?

6 Gina February 8, 2011

Caramelized onions are my favorite! I’m just usually too impatient to let them cook that long.

7 Leslie Paquette February 8, 2011

Looks delicious and I LOVE mushrooms. I will definitely make this soon. Thanks!!

8 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 8, 2011

i lovee mushrooms with onions, what a delicious side dish or meal!

9 Alex @ Healing Beauty February 8, 2011

I adore mushrooms, I think they are so delicious and hearty.

10 Emily February 8, 2011

This looks delicious! I just tried risotto for the first time last week but wanted to do another grain other than white rice. I am excited to try your version :)

11 Emily @ One Sweet Vegan February 8, 2011

My husband would love this recipe. He’s crazy about mushrooms. I came so close to making butternut squash risotto tonight, but didn’t feel up to a lot of cooking. Maybe tomorrow. And, I’ll keep this recipe in mind for a nice treat for my husband!

12 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 8, 2011

I absolutely LOVE sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions!

13 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher February 8, 2011

MY WORD. To me mushrooms are like meat. It’s only recently I’ve forayed into their magic.

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 8, 2011

exactly!

15 hippierunner February 8, 2011

The mushrooms look so pretty! I wish everyone knew to love them, they’re so good!

16 Amanda (Eating Up) February 8, 2011

I’m so happy I converted to being a mushroom fan!

17 Kimberly (Bowl of Fruit) February 8, 2011

Although I wasn’t in any mood to cook, I saw the sauteed onions and had to read for the recipe. This recipe sounds delicious – my two favorite food are mushroom and onions – and I can’t wait to try it. Your blog was the one that encouraged me to make risotto many months ago.

18 Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 8, 2011

The mushrooms are so beautiful, and the caramelized onions do it for me. Put them in anything and I’ll eat it. To make it gluten free I bet millet, or quinoa would work really well too. Great recipe!

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 8, 2011

mmm I will have to try quinoa

20 felicia February 8, 2011

oh my goodness! that looks delicious. And I have a bag of pearled barley sitting in the pantry. LOVE!

21 Richelle February 8, 2011

Oh wow, I need to make this soon. It looks amazing!

22 Moni'sMeals February 8, 2011

looks great, my husband would love this…maybe V-Day!

Food Combos I eat almost everyday:
chocolate and pbutter
bananas and oats
cheese and crackers

23 maggie February 8, 2011

I can’t wait to make this — risotto, mushrooms, caramelized onions…all favorites.
BUT you shouldn’t wash your mushrooms!!! Goes against all reason, I know, but I was always taught to wipe them dry (or with a damp paper towel) of any dirt, never put them in water. They’re little sponges, they lose a lot of their natural flavor and pick up a watery taste when you wash ’em. A quick rinse probably won’t hurt, but don’t soak them!

24 LauraLee @ Old Fashioned Vegan February 8, 2011

Yup, definitely making this! I am sucker for both caramelized onions and mushrooms. Drool….

25 Tanya February 8, 2011

Hmm… my food combinations would be fresh apples with peanut butter, or (since I’m not vegan) toast with a gently poached egg and some melted cheddar :) And I love mushrooms out of a can, too: major salty fix!

26 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 8, 2011

That looks amazing! Total comfort food right there. I don’t know if I could marry a guy who didn’t like almond butter, but I guess that would mean that he wouldn’t be creeping in on my stash!

27 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy February 8, 2011

goat cheese and dates! or apple and brie.
I absolutely love mushrooms and onions too! Though I tend to add tofu into the texture combination as well.

28 Caz February 8, 2011

I’ve made a baked barley risotto before and it took FOREVER to cook. It was the first time I made baked risotto, and the first time I used barley (I don’t remember if it was pearled or not). But it literally took hours. This isn’t a problem if you’re expecting it, but I think we ate at 11pm that evening.

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2011

Yea that was exactly the reason why I did not bake the risotto..pot barley takes a LONG time to cook. I might try the baking method with a quick cooking brown rice and see how that ‘pans’ out :)

30 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 8, 2011

Food combos i love
Wine + crackers
Coffee + Cookies
Chocolate + more chocolate.

Kidding…kind of :)

This looks fabulous, Angela!

Super creamy, hearty yet elegant…and my hubs wont touch mushrooms with a 10 foot pole either…good thing i am a sneaky chef sometimes :)

31 Runeatrepeat February 8, 2011

Food combo? Um, Peanut Butter and ANYTHING :)

32 Ashley @ Taste for Healthy February 8, 2011

I definitely need to get some barley!!

33 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) February 9, 2011

Risotto is one of my favourite dishes. I always make mushroom risotto (with a little white wine in it), but I have never thought to add caramelized onions. That would definitely kick the flavour up a few notches!

34 Camille February 9, 2011

Faaabulous! This looks awesome!

35 Amanda February 9, 2011

Oh man….. now I have a craving for mushrooms & risotto. I love sauteed mushrooms, I can just eat them out of the pan all night.

36 Bronwyn February 9, 2011

OMG. Deliciousness looking. I am going to make a risotto for sure now in a week or so. I love mushrooms (canned, cooked, raw) and caramelized onions. oh. so hungry now.

37 Sophia @ Raven Waves February 9, 2011

I’m so not a mushroom girl…but this recipe is really making me want to try them!! Looks so delicious, and you can never go wrong with risotto!

38 Monique February 9, 2011

i have a new roommate who loves food. so we have been having fun sharing the grocery bill and trying new things. i have an exotic palate, while shes got a willing one. sooo its been fun. i just found out she hasnt had risotto before. we will be making this.

39 Ellie@fitforthesoul February 9, 2011

This dish has all my fave ingredients and combos! Crazy how you became so good at cooking on your own :D Oh and btw! Your banana oatcake was amazingggggg! My whole fam enjoyed it too.

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2011

:) Glad you like the oat cake!

41 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA February 9, 2011

Holy moly this looks amazing. I love onions and mushrooms together, but I don’t know if I’d be able to resist throwing in some broccoli.

42 Amy Martin February 9, 2011

I needed this recipe YESTERDAY! I decided to make my very first mushroom risotto and it was so bad my husband wouldn’t eat it…he ALWAYS eats it! :(

43 Megan February 9, 2011

It is quite serendipitous that you shared this post today! I met my husband at Whole Foods after work today and he was on a mission, a Mushroom Risotto Mission! He wouldn’t stop talking about it until he got ALL the ingredients. He plans to make it tomorrow. I plan to share your recipe – it looks sooooo yummy.

And take heart: it took me 28 years on this earth before I would even try mushrooms or mushroom risotto, and it was at the constant urging of the hubby. There might be hope for Eric yet!

44 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 9, 2011

The use of barely here makes me think “savory oatmeal.” And that makes me want it even more. :)

45 Pearl (Crunch and Chew) February 9, 2011

This looks delicious! I pity those with mushroom allergies :(

46 Gen February 9, 2011

I loooooove sauteed mushrooms!! This risotto looks wonderful!

47 CathyK February 9, 2011

i love mushrooms and that includes CANNED mushrooms!!! nothing better on pizza!
and the husband won’t go within 10 feet of a mushroom. “love is” picking all the mushrooms out of the chili pot for your DH!
thanks for always including mega details in your HOW TO’s for recipes, angela. as a novice cook, something may appear self-explanatory, but you inspire confidence (one example from today’s recipe – adding the broth slowly as you may need less and don’t want too much). you’re a good teacher!! :)

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2011

thanks Cathy! :)

49 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 9, 2011

I love mushrooms, I can eat a whole package at once! (cooked, obv) Plus, you can never go wrong with risottos and balsamic…time for me to try making my own!:)

50 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner February 9, 2011

Wow, that looks delicious! I’ve never made risotto because it takes so much time and seems scary for some reason, but that recipe looks so good that I might have to give it a try.

51 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 9, 2011

I actually just bought arborio rice this weekend because I’ve been wanting to make risotto. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to make butternut squash or mushroom risotto, but I think this has persuaded me to go with mushroom. :D

52 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 9, 2011

i love mushroom risottos…so earthy and delicious!

53 Baking 'n' Books February 9, 2011

Wow. Never tried risotto before. I guess you could do this with brown rice or quinoa or something as well? Love mushrooms. Always been a little freaked out about them though…I mean they are technically fungus aren’t they?..is that good for the stomach?…! (says while eats them from the container…)

54 Allison February 9, 2011

This looks delicious! Perfect for the super cold Toronto weather we’ve been having in the last few days.

PS I made your avocado pasta last night. I thought my husband was going to die from happiness. That one gets and A+ on the deliciousness and an A+ on the easy scale. Woohoo!

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2011

Glad you liked it…I made it again last night this time using brown rice pasta shells and frozen peas…it was awesome! I’ll post a pic of it in my daily pics today.

56 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 9, 2011

I love caramelized onions and mushrooms too! I also love pretty much anything sprinkled with cinnamon (Greek yogurt + vanilla bean paste + cinnamon = the bomb!!. Oh, and add some apples for dipping!

57 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) February 9, 2011

I’m with Eric on this one! Mush rooms aren’t my favorite.
My favorite food combos are peanut butter+chocolate, peanut butter+honey, peanut butter+bananas. See a trend here?

58 Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty February 9, 2011

Do you think it would work well without the onions? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mushrooms, but I absolutely can’t stand onions. Maybe a shallot that’s well chopped and cooked down to nothihg would be OK but…..not an onion! Would it hurt the dish?

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2011

to me the onions are an essential ingredient, BUT you might be able to make it without if you amp up the other flavours and seasonings like garlic + rosemary?

60 Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty February 9, 2011

Good plan. I’ll try that.

61 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 9, 2011

My husband won’t touch mushrooms either! But we both don’t like onions so I guess it’s ok in reference to this! But I still get sad when I see a recipe with mushrooms in it because I know he won’t eat it!

62 Mel February 9, 2011

That’s one mystery solved I always wondered why I could never get crimini mushrooms near me..now Ive seen a picture I know they are just chestnut mushrooms :)

63 Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 9, 2011

This looks like the BEST risotto ever! I love mushrooms and caramelized onion!

64 Jennifer and Jaclyn @ Sketch-Free Vegan February 9, 2011

looks wonderful, I’m so making this with rice!

65 Ally (oatsandspice) February 9, 2011

I lovvvveeee sauteed mushrooms and onions… I could eat them all day everyday! What a great recipes – the pictures look like they could come straight out of a magazine :)

66 Aneta February 9, 2011

Angela, this looks yummy!

i tried your avocado pasta and OMG i am in loooove. as is the boy. I added some shrimp. it was sooo delicious. thnx for making up that recipe.
bring on other 15 minute meal ideas!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2011

Happy to hear that you enjoyed it! I’m addicted myself.

68 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 9, 2011

I am in need of some comfort food — it is so chilly here in MN I can barely stand it! I’m sure you are having similar weather so you feel my pain!

I love caramelized onions — is there anything better?

69 Ashley February 9, 2011

That looks amazing, and I bet it tastes even better, especially on cold days. My boyfriend hates cooked mushrooms, he just doesn’t know what hes missing.

70 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 9, 2011

Onions + mushrooms is such a fantastic combination. This looks incredible.

71 Mushrooms Canada February 9, 2011

Ohhh poor Eric, he doesn’t know what he is missing!! This looks delicious Angela… the lengthy prep time is likely worth the wait! I can only imagine what your kitchen smelled like… yum!
– Brittany

72 Carly February 9, 2011

Mushrooms and onions belong on everything!
One of my other favorite combos is brussels sprouts and mushrooms stir-fried together. So good!

73 Amy February 9, 2011

I want to love mushrooms, I keep trying, but honestly, they taste like dirt to me. I do love risotto with artichoke hearts, sundried tomatos and red bell peppers. That is a combo I could eat all the time!

74 Meghanne February 9, 2011

I too share a strange love for canned mushrooms. It feels like a strange guilty pleasure. For a treat on pizza or straight out of the can, they just can’t be beat. Glad to hear I’m not alone :)

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2011

yes someone who gets me! lol.
I remember as a kid, I used to stick the canned mushrooms right into pizza sauce when my mom and I made pizza. Mmmm

76 Beth February 9, 2011

This looks like such a warm and inviting dish. My husband is like Eric, and will not go near a mushroom. I don’t think he would even come in the kitchen while I make this.
Perhaps I’ll save it for a night when he will be out, and then I’ll have lots of leftovers for lunches.
Thinking of making it with quinoa instead of barley, as I’m gluten free.

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2011

I think I will try quinoa next time too :)

78 Beach Bum Beauty February 9, 2011

I have never seen garlic and onion chopped so neatly lol! Looks like pure comfort food :-)

79 Suzanne February 9, 2011

This is lovely! I think that this will be dinner tonight for me and my hubby!

I love how I already have all the ingredients in my pantry. I agree with you about the wonderful combined flavours of caramelized onions and mushrooms… so simple and also such an inexpensive dish that doesn’t break the bank. I love it! (Did I say that already?)

Canned button mushrooms ARE tasty! Trying to avoid canned goods where possible also, but will admit that I do like the taste of canned mushrooms and artichokes!

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2011

I too love it when I can make a delicious dish that is pennies to make…and also feels quite ‘fancy’ too! Sure beats paying a ton of money at a restaurant

81 Suzanne February 9, 2011

Absolutely! I discovered that caramelized onions serves as an amazing topping on a fresh baguette or whole-grain crackers when entertaining. Along with inexpensive homemade dips like olive tapenade or hummus, makes for easy and quick prep when we have guests drop by. Next time I’m also adding your spinach artichoke dip to that! :)

82 Cathy @What Would Cathy Eat? February 9, 2011

Awesome photos. I am going to make a version of this with butternut squash or peas added!

83 Amber K February 9, 2011

Mushrooms are just about the most disgusting things in the entire world. Although my husband LOVES them. Yup, he married me despite my mushroom hatred too ;) It’s especially annoying because so many vegan/vegetarian recipes include them!

My favorite pairing has to be chocolate and peanut butter. Classic!

84 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 9, 2011

This looks so comforting! My husband doesn’t like mushrooms either… That doesn’t stop me from cooking with them!

85 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle February 9, 2011

that mushroom risotto looks so amazing!!!

86 Roz February 9, 2011

Mushrooms are my favorites!! I would like this right now!!! It could be my “breakfast of champions” or is that “breakfast of champignons”. OH…that’s so bad….groan….I can’t believe I wrote that!!! :)

87 Christine (The Raw Project) February 9, 2011

This looks wonderful, I love mushrooms with onions. Thanks!

I like curry and bananas, orange and ginger and lemon and dill.

88 Abby February 9, 2011

AHHHHH!!! NOOOO!!!!! I absolutely MUST second any other comments about the mushrooms! I adore your blog and love following as you try your hand at new recipes but it literally made my heart ache to see that you rinsed (gasp! even looks like you soaked!) your mushrooms in their number one evil enemy: water! As an experiment recently I cooked two separate batches of mushrooms side by side (one batch rinsed with water, the other batch gently rubbed with a clean towel to remove dirt) just to see the truth for myself about what will happen to the mushroom flavor and water content. The rinsed batch never was capable of browning because they were stewing in the water that leaks out and had literally one tenth of the mushroom flavor as the batch that was never introduced to water. The flavor is richer, they cook faster (because they aren’t stewing but rather searing/sealing in juices), and they just are a different thing entirely than a rinsed mushroom! Please PLEASE take this as a serious matter and try the recipe again for yourself with non-watery mushrooms and the flavor will blow your mind in comparison!!!!!

That’s all for my mushroom rant!

89 (what runs) Lori February 9, 2011

So.Much.Garlic. I LOVE it. Garlic is a total must. Sorry to all of those at the gym next to me sweating the next day. ;)

90 Laurab @FoodSnobSTL February 9, 2011

I originally read this at 9 am and immediately wanted risotto. Looks so so good!

91 Charlie February 9, 2011

This risotto looks so delicious! I always liked mushrooms but my love for them has expanded since I became vegetarian. A portobello burger is so much better than with meat ;).

92 Kris | iheartwellness.com February 9, 2011

Wow. This brings me back to my childhood….hello mushrooms!

xxoo

93 Ania February 9, 2011

YUM! Thanks for providing me with the perfect dinner for tonight — showed it to my boyfriend and he agreed that it was the perfect thing!

94 Lauren February 9, 2011

Gotta say I’m with Eric on this one. :S Sorry! :)
In terms of food combinations- hummus + salsa + avocado= heaven

95 Gaura February 9, 2011

mmm, I love mushrooms but sometimes they can not work in a dish (yeah, I’ve made some errors!!) I’ve always loved a good portobello mushroom burger (yay for being a vegetarian!) and Ive eaten some pretty exotic ones in this little chinese place in Sydney called Mama Fu, where they had a soup with all different shaped and sized shrooms! (probably Erics worst nightmare lol!)

96 Gaura February 9, 2011

Favorite food combo = hot fresh spiced puris (indian puffed bread) with home made mango chutney or curd subji (yes, the couple of years I spent in India have rubbed off on my palate lol!)

97 Alex February 9, 2011

Looks awsome…will defenitely try something similar. Dont soke the mushrooms…they hate that! :)

98 Clare @ Fitting It All In February 9, 2011

Looks incredible! I’m always on the hunt for not cheesey risottos.
One of my favorite combos is sauteed garlic and onions! The perfect base for ANYTHING.

99 Vanonymous February 9, 2011

Am I just missing it? Where does the balsamic vinegar come in? I ended up just pouring it in when I put the broth in. It came out delicious either way!

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2011

Oops, forgot to add that in the directions. ;) I dont think it really matters, but I put it in with the broth.

101 Emily February 9, 2011

Mmm! I love mushrooms! I basically add them to anything I can…pizza, pasta, sandwiches…probably risotto, in the future ;).

102 Hannah February 9, 2011

Want to talk long distance? I have one jar of Barney Butter… because my friend in Alabama sent it to me here in Canberra, Australia. I’m too scared to open it because I can’t get more :(

Funnily enough, just yesterday I made a brown rice mushroom pilaf! In some ways very similar to this, though now I wish mine had caramelised onions :)

103 Sarah February 10, 2011

Hey Angela!
I love Risotto, but nobody can eat that much rice all the time – well, maybe if you’re italian ;-) I think barley is a great alternate and I’m definitely going to give this recipe a try. Maybe I’ll use some soy sauce instead of the vinegar, I’m addicted to it.
I’m a huge fan of your blog and I could spend all day reading through your stories and recipes, what I actually do. Thanks for sharing all of it.

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2011

thanks sarah!

105 Doc (The Healthy PhD) February 11, 2011

Tried the recipe and looooooved it, so I gave you some bloggie love!

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 14, 2011

thanks!

107 Jill February 14, 2011

Noms! Made it with leftover rice (just cooked mushrooms a bit longer and when they started to sweat added in the pre-cooked rice and let it soak up all the goodness) and it was FANTASTIC. Leftovers and laziness for the win!

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 14, 2011

haha nice!!!

109 Chanel June 26, 2012

I just made with and it is some real comfort food. Its raining here right now and it is the perfect dish to get all cuddly by the fireplace with. I used shitake(because I didnt have cremini) mushrooms and doubled the amount. I used half pearly barley and half japanese rice. Delish. Highly recommended

110 Eloïse January 21, 2013

Eating my second plate right now! This is SO good! And I LOVE the caramelized onions…I used pearled barley and its amazing. It took more liquid and more time to cook but it is so worth it! I’m so glad I found your blog! I’m a new vegan and live with a meat eating boyfriend. I’ve tried recipes on your site 5 days in a row and they were all hits! He’s not complaining at all… He actually loved all I prepared from your site. Being vegan is so fun and easy with your recipes! Thanks again!

111 Donovan January 24, 2013

Made this for lunch today and loved it! Made the pearled barley in my rice cooker using half water and half veg broth. With about 15 minutes left I sauteed the mushrooms and onions. Tossed it all in the pan briefly and enjoyed. Thank you for the idea. I am sure I will be eating this a lot and making some of my own variations.

112 Martha May 17, 2013

Have made this before and it was absolutely delicious! Am going to make it again tonight but was also thinking of using some dried mushrooms I have in my cupboard in this too, any chance you have any tips or ideas on using them? As always, loving your blog and finding constant inspiration here! With love from London x

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2013

Hi Martha, I’m sorry I don’t have much experience cooking with them, but I’m sure there are some wonderful videos on You Tube to help guide you. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

114 brighdereed May 25, 2013

This was a winner. I used wine and because I didn’t have garlic, I stirred through some nooch at the end and also some miso which gave it a spectacular flavour.

115 Stephanie January 16, 2014

I have never liked risotto, but this was AMAZING! Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe. I used brown rice for mine, and it took a good long while for it to soften, but it turned out great!

116 Sab May 29, 2014

Hi Angela,
May I substitute the barely with millet? What do you think? Thanks!

117 Charlotte April 2, 2015

Thank you so much for tons and tons of great yummy recipes !
I made this last night -with a few changes- and it was such a pleasure to eat !!! Definitely worth the wait… and I am having more today, because I can’t get over how delicious it was. The caramelized onions were the cherry on top. Loved it !!!

118 Gaye August 27, 2015

This was wonderful! I had leftovers for lunch at work and gave some to my meat-loving friend, and she asked for the recipe!!

119 Cindy January 3, 2016

Made this for dinner tonight >>> it was awesome!

120 Miranda April 24, 2016

It was delicious! I added 1/4 cup of cashew cream at the end (blended together cashews, water, nutritional yeast, salt, and garlic powder) for a little extra creaminess.

121 Angela Liddon April 26, 2016

That sounds delish, Miranda! Thanks for sharing.