Link Love + What I’m Making Today

My words to Eric last night were, ‘I can’t wait to sleep in tomorrow morning!’

But Sketchie had other plans.

All week long I have been the one pulling Sketchie’s lazy butt out of bed and this morning he finally got his revenge. He set off the security alarm sensor at the crack of dawn this morning and I was jolted into next week when it went off.  I really have no clue what he must have been doing to set it off, but I have a feeling it has to do with his new cat toy…

Lesson #1: Never say your sleeping plans out loud near a cat. They will ruin you.

Need less to say, I could not fall back asleep…but the boys did…

IMG_5607

Eric and Sketchie slept in the rest of the morning while I walked around the house in a haze that only 5 hours of sleep could produce. I decided to cheer myself up by making pink pancakes and I quickly learned my second lesson of the day…

Lesson #2: 3/4 cup of POM juice does not taste good in a pancake recipe. Please do not try this at home.

After my pancake fail and a satisfying bowl of VOO later, I decided to get caught up on my reading. :) It was a great week for some health and food reads…so I hope you enjoy these stories below!

What I’m making today:

I’m off to make the incredibly delicious Pioneer Woman Pico de Gallo + Guacamole for the Super Bowl.

IMG_6146_thumb1

If you are looking for a great recipe, you can’t go wrong with this crowd pleaser!

IMG_6160_thumb

Other plans include a vegan banana cake because the blackened bananas in my kitchen are starting to become a bit of a health hazard…

Page 2 of 2«12
Charmaine February 7, 2011

Pink Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup
Serves 2
Pankakes:
2/3 of a cup flour
1/4 teaspoon slat
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 of a cup soy milk
1 tablespoon coconut milk (full fat,creamy stuff off the top)
1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries (fi always use fresh but frozen could work too.. i think)
Coconut oil for cooking
Syrup (optional):
1/2 cup strawberries ( for this i use frozen fresh could work too though)
4 tablespoons maple syrup
tiny splash of vanilla extract

Pancakes:
mix dry ingredents in a bowl, and while stirring slowly add soy milk, add coconut milk and strawberries.
cook like normal(small) pancakes. ( should be self explanitory)

Syrup:
mash ingredients together over medium heat stirring often to prevent burning.

Rach February 7, 2011

Aww Sketchie is so adorable!

Lesley Lifting Life February 7, 2011

Pico+guac is a favorite of mine lately! I can’t seem to get enough of it.

Kate February 6, 2011

Mannnn, the pico/guac looks amazing! And awww I miss my pet kitties at home :( so presh.

Sana February 6, 2011

Oh no! That would wake me up as well! Do I spy cilantro? My fav!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 6, 2011

id love to stuff this guacamole in one of my regular wraps, it would be so yummy!! and i agree, awesome for super bowl dippage!! <3

xoxo

Sarah @ Flavoropolis February 6, 2011

I’ve never heard of banana cake, as opposed to bread, but it sounds delicious.
And what is it with cats? I don’t get this with any other animal, so I swear I’m not crazy, but sometimes I get the eery impression that certain cats are listening to and understanding everything I’m saying…

Julie (A Case of the Runs) February 6, 2011

I love mixing pico de gallo with guacamole! I could eat pico de gallo allllll day.

Angela (the diet book junkie) February 6, 2011

you just gave me an idea of what to do with the avocados in my fridge. and thanks for the links, i’ll be sure to check them out! :)

Kasey @ thisbodyismyhome February 6, 2011

Thanks for the links, Angela. They came right in time. I can’t believe all the snow we got recently!

Hannah February 6, 2011

I love when bloggers link to things they’ve enjoyed reading – I always discover something new! And thank you for doing some non-recipe links too :)

Meredith February 6, 2011

Food looks great! Football, however, really suffers from a distinct lack of Sidney Crosby ;)

Amanda (Eating Up) February 6, 2011

Ooo vegan banana cake! Hope you post the recipe. I love banana cake!

Emily February 6, 2011

Good to know about the Pom-cakes, although I’m not sure I would have been so creative to try the. Excited for your banana cake recipe!

MeagAlayne February 6, 2011

Yum! We make pico every week and keep it on hand — It’s such a great addition to just about everything. On top of eggs, mixed in with wraps, added to chilis or soups, mixed with hummus and enjoyed with fresh raw veggies. Such an easy condiment and full of flavour! I even top my stews with it :D Thanks for the links, Angela!

Emma February 6, 2011

guac is a vegan football staple if you as me! so is chili, of course….
i made a promise to myself that for every point the Packers score, i have to do 2 modified pushups and one real pushup. and if the steelers still aren’t winning at halftime, i get to have another bowl of ice cream to drown my sorrows. my arms are very sore and i’m about to go get my second bowl of ben and jerrys. lol

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 6, 2011

I can never fall back asleep when I’m woken up early in the morning either!

I love it when you post health-related links! I read Fit Sugar a few times a week, but you always manage to find other links that aren’t on that site. I love reading them. :D

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 6, 2011

Ditto on that guacamole! It looks delicious!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 6, 2011

hahaha, agreed!!! It’s like my cat knows when weekends are because she’ll do EVERYTHING she can to wake me up when I’m trying to sleep in.

Gwen~healthymamma February 6, 2011

HaaaHaaa, that happend to us a while back at like 3 a.m. I still have not fully recovered. Totally thought it was WW III sirens going off, LOUD!
I can’t wait until tomatoes are in season so I can make this!

AGS February 6, 2011
Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 6, 2011

hehe oh that sounds like something my two cats would do!

Light Delight with Tou Tou February 6, 2011

Hi Angela, I have been reading your post on my google reader for a long time, and I’d like to say that thank you for making the food blog so lively and colorful. I can tell you put lots of thoughts on your blog, and every picture comes out beautiful. I enjoyed your creation very much! :-D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 6, 2011

Oh I can’t wait for the vegan banana cake! I have one and it uses PB in it. I can’t wait to see what you do! There are always a few ripe bananas to use, aren’t there :)

The Pioneer Woman’s pico you made looks delish!

And all those links, thanks for taking the time to share what you find interesting. I love getting into people’s heads and seeing what they like to read. When they’re not blogging, cooking, photographing, or updating their recipe page like you are :)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 6, 2011

Pico de Gallo with guacamole…I am in LOVE!!!!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! February 6, 2011

I am trying a week of vegan eating (Oprah stole my idea!) and am facing Day One with a husband who bought all of my favourite cheese-flavoured treats for Super Bowl watching purchases. I wish I had someone around to make Pico de Gallo and guac for snacking! Wish me luck :)

big sis February 6, 2011

Thanks for a wonderful visit and goodies. The lentil walnut loaf was outstanding!! I espeically loved the navy bean potatoes … you turned my favourite dip – artichoke – into a healthy vegan treat! Have a wonderful day! xo