Link Love + What I’m Making Today

My words to Eric last night were, ‘I can’t wait to sleep in tomorrow morning!’

But Sketchie had other plans.

All week long I have been the one pulling Sketchie’s lazy butt out of bed and this morning he finally got his revenge. He set off the security alarm sensor at the crack of dawn this morning and I was jolted into next week when it went off.  I really have no clue what he must have been doing to set it off, but I have a feeling it has to do with his new cat toy…

Lesson #1: Never say your sleeping plans out loud near a cat. They will ruin you.

Need less to say, I could not fall back asleep…but the boys did…

IMG_5607

Eric and Sketchie slept in the rest of the morning while I walked around the house in a haze that only 5 hours of sleep could produce. I decided to cheer myself up by making pink pancakes and I quickly learned my second lesson of the day…

Lesson #2: 3/4 cup of POM juice does not taste good in a pancake recipe. Please do not try this at home.

After my pancake fail and a satisfying bowl of VOO later, I decided to get caught up on my reading. :) It was a great week for some health and food reads…so I hope you enjoy these stories below!

What I’m making today:

I’m off to make the incredibly delicious Pioneer Woman Pico de Gallo + Guacamole for the Super Bowl.

IMG_6146_thumb1

If you are looking for a great recipe, you can’t go wrong with this crowd pleaser!

IMG_6160_thumb

Other plans include a vegan banana cake because the blackened bananas in my kitchen are starting to become a bit of a health hazard…

1 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 6, 2011

I am making guacamole too. Can never go wrong with guac!

2 Alex @ Healing Beauty February 6, 2011

Sorry you didn’t get to sleep in! Sketchie must be superman…or umm…supercat!! Lol :) The pico de gallo looks great! I love salsas and guacamole and I just saw a recipe for adding pomegranate arils to guac…the combination sounds intriguing! Have a good day, Angela!

3 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 6, 2011

Ohh – can’t wait for the banana cake!! and I would have bolted, too!! Oh, Sketchie…

4 kate@ahealthypassion February 6, 2011

ah haha my cats used to set our alarm off all the time! Sketchie is so adorable though.

5 stacey-healthylife February 6, 2011

That is so true about your cat waking you up. It may sound silly but I have to inform my cat when it’s my day’s to sleep in. Are else he wants to get up at super early work time.

6 Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 6, 2011

Oooh, that pico de galo looks amazing! I love the Pioneer Women’s recipes! <3

7 Ilana February 6, 2011

LMAO my cats are the worst! Today they woke me up before 6! And they’ve been sleeping in, lately, too. Arggg!! At least theyre cute. And I always find I make the biggest kitchen blunders in that not-enough-sleep daze.

8 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 6, 2011

Aww Sketchie is a CUTIE! I like the sound of those pancakes- shame they didn’t work out!

Oooh yay hope you post your vegan banana cake recipe! I <3 banana cake! :D

9 Kim February 6, 2011

Thank you Angela for sharing your healthy info links :) I’m always seeking out new sites to gather reliable information on health, nutrition, and of course, more yummy recipes!!! Have a fantastic day :)

10 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 6, 2011

My friend’s cat would always come in at exactly 6AM and start meowing like crazy. The cat obviously didn’t get the difference between weekdays and weekends… that’s why I stick with dogs. They love to sleep ;)

11 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 6, 2011

Banana cake sounds like my kind of dessert – banana bread with frosting!! Slash Sketchie is so funny, and don’t worry, I will NOT try POM juice in my pannycakes..I prefer chocolate anyways;)

Thanks for the linky loos! Happy Sunday, Ang!

12 Shanna, like Banana February 6, 2011

Good to know I’m not the only one with cats who seek revenge and wake me up early ;) At least that face is nice to wake up to!

13 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 6, 2011

I had some very black bananas in my kitchen this morning so I used them in banana pancakes…. the BOMB!! I hope you have a great Superbowl Sunday Ange! :)

14 Katie February 6, 2011

Guacamole!!!

15 Ashley @ Taste for Healthy February 6, 2011

Hahaha… “I win” I can totally see Sketchie thinking that to himself! Thanks for sharing the great links!

16 Haleigh February 6, 2011

Guacamole is the perfect Superbowl snack :) I can’t wait to see what you come with for the banana cake!

17 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 6, 2011

LOL at Sketchie!!! haha — but sorry you were woken up! Makes you want to set up a camera to see what he is up to, right?

I love when bananas turn black, it means it is time for banana bread :)

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 6, 2011

Sometimes he juggles his toys in the air…lol

19 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 6, 2011

Aw sorry to hear about the early morning wake up! Most days my cat will wake me up an hour before I need to. Gotta love them.;)

20 Michelle February 6, 2011

I have so many avocados to use – guac sounds perfect! Especially for the superbowl :)

21 A Teenage Gourmet February 6, 2011

Ideal for the Packer’s win. ;) . . . I wish I had some avocados.

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 6, 2011

hehe knew someone would say that! ;)

23 Camille February 6, 2011

My cat does the same thing. She pounces on me until I am awake, then she comes and hangs out with me for like 10 minutes before falling asleep curled up with my boyfriend. She NEVER wakes him up! Wtf!?

24 Bronwyn Coyne February 6, 2011

Yay! Vegan for a week is mentioned in your links. Whoopie!

25 Lauren at KeepItSweet February 6, 2011

Can’t wait for your banana cake recipe! Super Bowl without guacamole is like Christmas without cookies…

26 Amber K February 6, 2011

I’m drooling just thinking about a vegan banana cake!

27 Gen February 6, 2011

Too bad the pancakes didn’t work out!
The guac sounds amazing and so does the cake!!!
Hope you have a great day!

28 Annette February 6, 2011

Pink pancakes actually sound fantastic- that is quite sad they didn’t turn out?! :( Have a great day party-ing it up with friends.

29 laura February 6, 2011

haha, oh Sketchie! What a mischevious rascal.
ill be back for the banana cake :D

30 Leia February 6, 2011

Definitely going to check out some of your links! Also wanted to let you know I posted about one of your recipes (attributed you, of course) – this fantastic chickpea salad http://www.leiasdelights.com/2011/02/chickpea-salad-with-balsamic-dressing.html

I’ve made it 3-4 times already and my family members almost always polish it off before I get more than a couple of bites, ha! Thanks for such a great recipe.

31 mary (whats cookin with mary) February 6, 2011

lol @ sketchie setting off the alarm bc you mentioned (near him) that you wanted to sleep in ?! bad kitty! ;P our cat *tried* to wake up us around 7, but she did not win :D she tried licking our hands, walking on us, meowing… BWAHAHAHAHHA!

who knew pom juice wouldn’t work :l

going to a friends to watch the super bowl… going to let mr trader joe’s do the cooking for me this year… my SI joint is not feeling very good, so I must defer to the premade food masta.

32 Allison @ everydaysuperheroskills.blogspot.com February 6, 2011

I really like when you share health articles! It’s always great to have new material to read. Thanks!

33 Baking 'n' Books February 6, 2011

Great links! Thanks. Enjoy your Superbowl Sunday.

34 FoodFeud February 6, 2011

Banana CAKE, eh? Can’t wait to see how/what comes out! Enjoy your day!

35 Mauimandy@The Grains of Paradise February 6, 2011

Haha I’m sorry! Good thing Sketchie is so darn cute!

36 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) February 6, 2011

I made her pico de gallo last week! It is so good!!

37 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 6, 2011

I am so upset that Jamie Oliver was banned from the schools in LA.. uuggghhh.. ridiculous.

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 6, 2011

I know me too!

39 Jenn February 6, 2011

Angela, Help!
I’m looking for a recipe on your page that I can’t find anymore….it’s for brownies that you made that had avacado in them. I can’t find it any where! HELP!

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 6, 2011

Here they are:)
Ive had mixed results with them though…the second time I made them they were quite crumbly and im not sure why :\

41 Heather (Faces of Beauty) February 6, 2011

ooooooh…you just inspired me to make banana bread…yum!

42 Julie February 6, 2011

YUM. I’m coming over for the Superbowl, k?

43 JL goes Vegan February 6, 2011

Yep, my cats are alarm clocks, too, whether I want them to be, or not! My avocados are not yet ripe so we opted for Whole Foods guac (so good). We are making homemade refried beans for a big ole plate of vegan nachos. Not interested in the game (but go Steelers, because the Packers beat The Bears) but can’t wait for the commercials! :)

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 6, 2011

I watch the Superbowl for three reasons: FOOD, half time, and commercials. ;)

45 Kris | iheartwellness.com February 6, 2011

Hahaha, brown bananas can be pretty rank with a haze that follows ;)

Enjoy your day with your guac and cake!

I made the spinach dip yesterday. Freaking amazing and so beautiful! I modified it a bit and it turned out delicious. Think coconut oil in replacement of EB….drool!

xxoo
Kris

46 big sis February 6, 2011

Thanks for a wonderful visit and goodies. The lentil walnut loaf was outstanding!! I espeically loved the navy bean potatoes … you turned my favourite dip – artichoke – into a healthy vegan treat! Have a wonderful day! xo

47 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! February 6, 2011

I am trying a week of vegan eating (Oprah stole my idea!) and am facing Day One with a husband who bought all of my favourite cheese-flavoured treats for Super Bowl watching purchases. I wish I had someone around to make Pico de Gallo and guac for snacking! Wish me luck :)

48 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 6, 2011

Pico de Gallo with guacamole…I am in LOVE!!!!

49 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 6, 2011

Oh I can’t wait for the vegan banana cake! I have one and it uses PB in it. I can’t wait to see what you do! There are always a few ripe bananas to use, aren’t there :)

The Pioneer Woman’s pico you made looks delish!

And all those links, thanks for taking the time to share what you find interesting. I love getting into people’s heads and seeing what they like to read. When they’re not blogging, cooking, photographing, or updating their recipe page like you are :)

50 Light Delight with Tou Tou February 6, 2011

Hi Angela, I have been reading your post on my google reader for a long time, and I’d like to say that thank you for making the food blog so lively and colorful. I can tell you put lots of thoughts on your blog, and every picture comes out beautiful. I enjoyed your creation very much! :-D

51 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 6, 2011

hehe oh that sounds like something my two cats would do!

52 AGS February 6, 2011
53 Gwen~healthymamma February 6, 2011

HaaaHaaa, that happend to us a while back at like 3 a.m. I still have not fully recovered. Totally thought it was WW III sirens going off, LOUD!
I can’t wait until tomatoes are in season so I can make this!

54 Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 6, 2011

hahaha, agreed!!! It’s like my cat knows when weekends are because she’ll do EVERYTHING she can to wake me up when I’m trying to sleep in.

55 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 6, 2011

Ditto on that guacamole! It looks delicious!

56 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 6, 2011

I can never fall back asleep when I’m woken up early in the morning either!

I love it when you post health-related links! I read Fit Sugar a few times a week, but you always manage to find other links that aren’t on that site. I love reading them. :D

57 Emma February 6, 2011

guac is a vegan football staple if you as me! so is chili, of course….
i made a promise to myself that for every point the Packers score, i have to do 2 modified pushups and one real pushup. and if the steelers still aren’t winning at halftime, i get to have another bowl of ice cream to drown my sorrows. my arms are very sore and i’m about to go get my second bowl of ben and jerrys. lol

58 MeagAlayne February 6, 2011

Yum! We make pico every week and keep it on hand — It’s such a great addition to just about everything. On top of eggs, mixed in with wraps, added to chilis or soups, mixed with hummus and enjoyed with fresh raw veggies. Such an easy condiment and full of flavour! I even top my stews with it :D Thanks for the links, Angela!

59 Emily February 6, 2011

Good to know about the Pom-cakes, although I’m not sure I would have been so creative to try the. Excited for your banana cake recipe!

60 Amanda (Eating Up) February 6, 2011

Ooo vegan banana cake! Hope you post the recipe. I love banana cake!

61 Meredith February 6, 2011

Food looks great! Football, however, really suffers from a distinct lack of Sidney Crosby ;)

62 Hannah February 6, 2011

I love when bloggers link to things they’ve enjoyed reading – I always discover something new! And thank you for doing some non-recipe links too :)

63 Kasey @ thisbodyismyhome February 6, 2011

Thanks for the links, Angela. They came right in time. I can’t believe all the snow we got recently!

64 Angela (the diet book junkie) February 6, 2011

you just gave me an idea of what to do with the avocados in my fridge. and thanks for the links, i’ll be sure to check them out! :)

65 Julie (A Case of the Runs) February 6, 2011

I love mixing pico de gallo with guacamole! I could eat pico de gallo allllll day.

66 Sarah @ Flavoropolis February 6, 2011

I’ve never heard of banana cake, as opposed to bread, but it sounds delicious.
And what is it with cats? I don’t get this with any other animal, so I swear I’m not crazy, but sometimes I get the eery impression that certain cats are listening to and understanding everything I’m saying…

67 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 6, 2011

id love to stuff this guacamole in one of my regular wraps, it would be so yummy!! and i agree, awesome for super bowl dippage!! <3

xoxo

68 Sana February 6, 2011

Oh no! That would wake me up as well! Do I spy cilantro? My fav!

69 Kate February 6, 2011

Mannnn, the pico/guac looks amazing! And awww I miss my pet kitties at home :( so presh.

70 Lesley Lifting Life February 7, 2011

Pico+guac is a favorite of mine lately! I can’t seem to get enough of it.

71 Rach February 7, 2011

Aww Sketchie is so adorable!

72 Charmaine February 7, 2011

Pink Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup
Serves 2
Pankakes:
2/3 of a cup flour
1/4 teaspoon slat
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 of a cup soy milk
1 tablespoon coconut milk (full fat,creamy stuff off the top)
1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries (fi always use fresh but frozen could work too.. i think)
Coconut oil for cooking
Syrup (optional):
1/2 cup strawberries ( for this i use frozen fresh could work too though)
4 tablespoons maple syrup
tiny splash of vanilla extract

Pancakes:
mix dry ingredents in a bowl, and while stirring slowly add soy milk, add coconut milk and strawberries.
cook like normal(small) pancakes. ( should be self explanitory)

Syrup:
mash ingredients together over medium heat stirring often to prevent burning.