Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

This is going to be a wonderful weekend for eating. :)

Thursday night and Friday I got busy making the menu plans and doing some prep ahead of time for our gatherings this weekend. One of my best tricks for stress-free party hosting is making things ahead of time as much as possible. [My post ‘Tick Tock, Racing Against The Clock’ includes a bunch of tips and shows how I planned ahead for my 1st vegan Thanksgiving.]

I started planning for today’s get together with my sister Kerrie and family.

My goal: 2 appetizers, main + 2 sides, wine, and dessert.

Appetizers

1. Spinach Artichoke Dip (see below for recipe) + blue corn chips & crackers

IMG 0477   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

2. Union Square Café Bar Nuts

(easily adapted to be vegan using soy-free Earth Balance instead of butter)

IMG 0511   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

My Twice Baked Bar Nuts are good too and adapted from the recipe above.

20100930IMG 3771 thumb   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

3. Stuffed Portabella Pizza

stuffed portabella 22   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Not sure if I will have time to make these or not, but I’m sure going to try.

My sis is also bringing an appetizer and a salad for dinner. :)

Main Course:

Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf:

IMG 8055 thumb   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

I’m soooooo looking forward to this lentil loaf…I’ve been craving it since I made it Jan 1st! I actually prepped the entire loaf last night and then stuck it in the fridge (covered) unbaked. All I have to do this afternoon is throw it in the oven about 1 hour before we eat.

High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes:

20100908IMG 2678 thumb   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Roasted veggies:

IMG 6438 thumb   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

I think I might roast carrots in some sort of glaze, but I haven’t decided on that yet.

Dessert:

Chilled Double Chocolate Torte:

IMG 4993 thumb   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

This dessert is awesome because you can make it ahead of time and store it in the freezer! I whipped it up Friday and covered it and put it in the freezer. Now I don’t have to worry about dessert today. All I have to do is let it dethaw for about 10 minutes on the counter.

Now about that Spinach Artichoke Dip. The beauty of this dip is that it is vegan, soy-free, and can be easily made gluten-free if you use GF bread crumbs! It is really a dip almost anyone can enjoy…if you like artichokes that is. ;)

IMG 0481   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

IMG 9990451   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

The navy beans in this recipe are the ‘secret ingredient’. They give the dip a real creaminess (and protein!) that it wouldn’t have otherwise.

IMG 0453   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Sautee the onion and garlic for about 7-10 minutes.

IMG 02372   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Meanwhile, make the bread crumbs and set aside. Now, process the bean mixture ingredients.

IMG 0454   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

After the onion and garlic has cooked, add in the spinach and artichoke hearts (You probably want to chop the artichoke smaller than I did as I found the pieces a bit large!)

IMG 0457   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

mix and heat for another few minutes.

IMG 0461   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Now add in the bean mixture and stir well.

IMG 0462   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Season to taste.

IMG 0464   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Stir in 3/4 of the bread crumbs.

Pour into a small oven-safe dish…I used a 4 cup Pyrex dish.

IMG 0465   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Sprinkle on the remaining crumbs (and cheese if preferred).

IMG 0467   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Cover and bake for 20 minutes at 400F and then remove the cover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

IMG 04771   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

This dip is creamy, comforting, and it certainly tastes more indulgent than it really is. One of my friends picked me up some of the raved-about Daiya vegan cheese (she said I was crazy for not having tried it yet), so when I re-heat the dip in the oven I may sprinkle some cheese on top. It should be delicious!

IMG 0483   Spinach Artichoke Dip + Party Menu Planning

Another tip: Use very ‘sturdy’ nacho chips or crackers because the dip is very thick and weak/thin crackers won’t come out alive. ;) I’m using some organic blue corn chips (very thick!) and Mary’s Crackers (basically unbreakable…I’m not even sure how I chew them).

Time to rush, rush, rush. Have a great day!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 5, 2011

I love love love spinach and artichoke dip. And have never made a vegan version at home. Have made some with cream cheese and cheese, so am loving your version!

I also have never tried Daiya yet. I am now for sure the last vegan or plant-based person to not have tried it yet!!

Weak chips that break. Oh, I hate those. They need to grow a backbone in order to stand up to your fabulous looking dip :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 5, 2011

Holy Hanna, are you kidding me right now? I am not celebrating anything this weekend, but I know I NEED to make this! I think tonights dinner will be a big spread of dips and chips ;)

xxoo

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 5, 2011

I love that you used beans in this dip.

I haven’t tried daiya either.

Dawn February 5, 2011

This dip looks delicious! I just printed the recipe so I can give it a try. I’ve been using a spinach dip recipe for YEARS that uses lots of cream cheese, and alfredo sauce…very tasty but sooo bad!! I love the idea of processing the beans to add creaminess and thickness.
ps. My daughter (who is 9) will now ONLY eat overnight oats with the banana soft serve for breakfast – she loves it. She loves looking at your recipes and is now begging me to make those cookie sandwiches – maybe I’ll make those tomorrow.
Enjoy your weekend!
Dawn :)

Heather (Faces of Beauty) February 5, 2011

so yeah…i don’t think i need to cook…i just need to come over to your house! yum!

Stacie February 5, 2011

I made your no bake choc. PB krispies today & my husband loved them!! He said there is no way these are vegan. “I wouldn’t even say they are mediocre for being vegan. They are excellent!! They also don’t have that ‘funny vegan aftertaste’.” (whatever that means….) This is huge coming from a guy who is a huge meat and potatoes kind of guy. Thanks Angela for sharing your talent!! The animals and my husband thank you too ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 5, 2011

haha nice ;) Glad it was enjoyed!

Andrea Bloomfield February 5, 2011

ooohhh….that dip looks great….it’s one of my favourites! Have a great day tomorrow….hope you get time away from your cooking to actually enjoy the Superbowl!

Hannah February 5, 2011

I adore artichokes, and have been making those Union Square nuts for years :) I’m in Australia so couldn’t care less about the Superbowl, but luckily food like this is delicious regardless of the reaosn for eating it :)

Adrianne@ Flex-appeal February 5, 2011

Angela, I made your Gingerbread with spiced buttercream icing and my family LOVES it. My four year old told me the other day she doesn’t like bread but she loves the kind I made with icing! LOL

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy February 5, 2011

Vegan Spinach Artichoke dip… YUMMM!!! Enjoy all of your delicious eats this weekend! :)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) February 5, 2011

I know you’re Canadian…but that menu screams epic Superbowl food. Woo!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 5, 2011

With all of this amazing food, I wouldn’t even care about the football!

kaila @ healthy helper! February 5, 2011

carrots are lovely with a balsamic glaze! in case you needed ideas lol! :)

Lili February 6, 2011

As always, amazing presentation/ pictures. I want to try this healthy dip soon!

rachel February 6, 2011

the dip looks amazing, and i think i actually have everything on hand to make this! thanks for posting this, i’ve been craving spinach and artichoke dip for a while now :)

ashley@quasichick February 6, 2011

I want to eat everything on this page! You make vegan eating beautiful!

Mary February 6, 2011

Angela- First thank you thank you thank you for this site which is a huge souce of inspiration for my cooking lately. I made the spinach artichoke dip yesterday: fantastic. One question, though: do you really need to bake it in the oven for so long? Although it was great (and I’m having some for breakfast right now, lol), I think I might have liked it better if I stopped cooking before it went in the oven–back when the spinach was bright green–curious to know your thoughts on that.

Allison February 6, 2011

Awesome. Everything looks amazing. That dip looks amazing.

Beach Bum Beauty February 6, 2011

I can’t read your blog without feeling hungry, even if I’ve only just eaten. The chocolate torte looks divine YUM!!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 6, 2011

Oh YUM!!! Hehe, I may just roast some vegetables tonight! :)

Amanda February 6, 2011

That dip looks amazing! Being stationed overseas for 5 years is hard when it comes to missing out on the spinach artichoke dip at Olive Garden! I kept trying to make some, but they are so loaded with fat, that I just don’t bother! This is something I will make this week for me to enjoy with my bento lunches!!! Now I just need to find some other ingredients here on the island so I can more some more of your yummy recipes….those cranberry breakfast bars are SCREAMING at me to eat them :)

SallyH February 6, 2011

Angela, I’m super excited that you’re making an effort to write a recipe book. We have nothing but success when making your recipes. I made the avo chocolate torte last week and my husband (whose a sugar junkie) devoured it and asked for it for his birthday at the end of this month. Tonight we made the lentil loaf and it was so yummy…the absolute best I’ve ever had. Thanks!

Megan February 6, 2011

I just made this tonight for Super Bowl, and it was AMAZING!!! I have leftovers – I think making this dish and putting it over pasta would also be really good. Or making the dip, combining it with half-cooked pasta, and then baking it for 20 minutes would also be good. I think I’ll try that next.

Thanks for such a good recipe!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 6, 2011

ive had such an obsession with blue corn chips in the past which turned into a rice chip obsession and now im really into seedy ones with seaweed mmm. the dip looks fantastic! i love artichoke blended into dips, so much flavor evolves from such a lovely vegetable ;)

and ive been enjoying lots of roasted veggies too, the more the merrier! <3

xoxo

Emily February 7, 2011

I didn’t watch the superbowl, but I knew I needed superbowl food, so I made this dip, and the roasted red pepper one.
-this one was pretty good, I used kale instead of spinach cuz that’s what I had. When I tasted it before I put it in the oven, I felt like it was a bit bland – probably not enough salt. And I decided I really did want some cheesy-ness to it. So I added a half cup of feta and un-veganed it. But it turned out great! I was also shocked at how filling it was.
- the red pepper one was amazing. I added just a glug of red wine vinegar towards the end, because I thought it needed a little more acidity to even out the sweetness. otherwise the same recipe.

Thanks so much for posting such awesome recipes!

Lynn February 7, 2011

I just discovered your blog and this spinach dip was the first recipe I’ve made of yours. I made it for my Super Bowl party and everyone absolutely loved it! Thank you for the inspiration!

Kat February 7, 2011

I made this for my Super Bowl party yesterday and EVERYONE loved it. It was sooooo good. :)

Sara @ Saucy Dipper February 16, 2011

Beautiful photos! So glad I found your site. That dip looks divine. What’s better than spinach artichoke dip?

Amy Kirchhoff February 22, 2011

Um. Holy cow, yum! It tastes 1000 times better than it looks. We (3 of us) ate all of it in 2 days. Thanks again for another wonderful one! Can’t wait to make this again.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2011

glad you enjoyed it Amy :)

Amy Kirchhoff February 22, 2011
Meaghan May 9, 2012

I am made this a few weeks back and I was so impressed! I love that it doesn’t use any vegan sour cream or cream cheese for the creaminess. Just plain ol’ pureed white beans. I am making this again for a vegan potluck tonight and I couldn’t be more excited. Thank you so much for this recipe!

Nancy December 24, 2012

I just made your spinach artichoke dip to bring to the in-laws for the holidays. It tasted like something was missing, so I added the juice of a half a lemon. OH MY! That was it! I was eating it by the spoonful out of the pan. Would it be so bad of me if I didn’t share? What if I promise not to eat their food? :-)

dana February 8, 2013

I know you’ve heard this a million times in the comments, but this was a totally awesome recipe! This has gotta be my favorite new dip. and it always helps that i still feel good about myself after eating it. i am definitely coming back here for more wonderful ideas! keep up the good work!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2013

Hey Dana, Thank you for reporting back! Glad to hear you enjoyed it :)

Brynrose Foote March 30, 2013

Just made the spinach-artichoke dip, it doesn’t taste like anything except beans. Completely bland even though I followed the recipe exactly. Very disappointed.

Alexandra October 27, 2013

Made this spinach artichoke dip a few days ago and it was amazing! Husband and I both loved it. Luckily it was just for the two of us, so we have some leftover – I am going to toss it with some penne tomorrow, sprinkle on some breadcrumbs, and bake it =) Definitely saving this recipe! Thank you!

Ashley November 23, 2013

The dip is such a great recipe! I used pinto instead of northern beans (just what I had in the pantry) and I used ground flax seed instead of bread crumbs. Turned out great!

Candace Martin March 17, 2014

All looks soooo good! Love your recipes. Can’t wait to try the artichoke dip. I am in love with Chelsie Nicole’s spinach artichoke dip (vegan). Comes out perfect EVERY TIME I make it. chelsienicole.com/
Thanks for a great blog! And for foolproof recipes that never disappoint!

Christine October 27, 2014

Angela – this looks yummy!
Can it be prepared the night before, and then heated before serving? Say, up to the point of stirring in the bread crumbs in step 4?

Thanks!