Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Bonjour =)

I’m loving the discussion going on in the Daily Glow Graduation Fears…it’s honest, real, and inspiring.

On Friday, I was feeling extra motivated (which doesn’t happen much in the Winter!), so I decided to get my long run completed a couple days early.

IMG 93731   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

[I was also tickled pink when I found my workout tank that was missing for months!]

I’m up to 8 miles for my long run this week and it felt so nice to check it off the list. I ran the 8 miles at incline 1% in 78 minutes.

Unfortunately, some of the miles ticked by ever so slowly…and I concluded that a long run on the treadmill is a test of mental strength more than anything. I had to convince myself that I could do it over and over and over again. I know I have the physical stamina, I just need to work on my mental stamina while running indoors. And I remind myself that cursing is sometimes necessary.

To help beat the boredom, I watched The Devil Wears Prada and I also did mini-tempo intervals during the run. I started at 6.0 mph and with each 400 metres, I increased the speed by 0.1 mph until I reached 6.6 mph, and then I repeated the interval. It helped for the first few miles, but then I got tired and said to hell with it and ran at 6.0 mph for the rest of the way. lol.

After the run, I was craving a cold, satisfying smoothie.

IMG 0143 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Do you notice anything sad about this picture below?

IMG 0145 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

What about now?

IMG 0146 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

That would be the end of My Favourite Granola stash! Tragic….just tragic, my friends.

IMG 0157 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

I really enjoyed this Carrot Cake smoothie! It has a yummy carrot cake flavour while packing in 2 servings of veggies. Just make sure you blend it until fully smooth- you don’t want a grainy texture from the carrots.

IMG 0142 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Slurp.

Shower.

My post-run fuel usually looks something like this….

IMG 9763 thumb1   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

I love open-faced, toasted sandwiches on sprouted grain bread. Did I mention I pretty much only eat my bread toasted? Weird eh? The only time I do not toast bread is when it is fresh baked bread, otherwise I find that sprouted grain bread is wonderful toasted.

I’m currently crazy about Silver Hills Bakery Sprouted grain bread. Anyone tried this brand before? I buy it at my wholesaler, Ontario Natural Food Coop.

IMG 9545 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

I made some quick homemade guacamole (mashed 1 avocado, squirt of lime, red onion, olive oil, & kosher salt) with some protein-packed lentils and tomato sauce. It was a random, yet incredible combo!

I had it with a sliced apple and the dangerously delicious Chocolate Pecan Butter.

IMG 9764 thumb1   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

5 minutes to prepare or less. You really can’t beat that when you are about to chew your arm off.

One of our dinners last week was this Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Warm Salad, inspired by the amazing (and increasingly veggie-loving!) Mark Bittman.

IMG 9960 thumb1   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

These are the changes I made to the original recipe:

• I cut down the oil from 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil to just 3 tbsp (and it still tasted amazing!).
  • I added ground cumin as this goes well with anything lime flavoured
  • I used 2 garlic cloves instead of 1
  • I used a yellow onion because I did not have a red onion
  • I used 1/2 cup of Cilantro because that was all I had (instead of 1 cup)

It still turned out INCREDIBLE!

First, roast the sweet potato and onion…

IMG 9910 2 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Meanwhile, make the dressing.

IMG 9922 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

IMG 9926 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Mix together the lime juice, garlic, minced Cilantro, kosher salt, pepper, and oil.

IMG 9932 2 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Stir in the drained and rinsed black beans.

IMG 9935 2 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

When the veggies are done, mix it all together!

IMG 9953 2 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

IMG 9969 2 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

The result is an array of savoury and tangy flavours. It is warm and comforting from the soft bites of sweet potato while the dressing gives it such a fresh and unexpected kick. We just loved it.

IMG 9960 thumb2   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Now if you’ll excuse me, it appears I have a little granola issue to address. ;)

Brittany (Eating Bird Food) January 30, 2011

I’m the same way about only eating bread toasted. I think the main reason for this is that I store my bread in the fridge or freezer and I want it warm. :)

The sweet potato black bean dish sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Hannah January 30, 2011

I actually just clapped at my computer screen. I saw a carrot cake smoothie somewhere recently but it used fresh carrot juice and I don’t have a juicer. At the time, I’d wondered whether using whole carrot would work, but my vita-mix is barely weeks old so I was scared to try. Thank you Angela!

Nat January 30, 2011

Wow. I’d been craving sweet potatoes and had recently made a batch of black beans, so conditions were perfect to cook your sweet potato and black bean salad. I have to admit, the ingredients of this recipe frightened me, sweet potatoes seemed like such a strange thing to add to Mexican spices! I will NEVER AGAIN doubt you! Damn, this was a good. I added roasted zucchini and used red onion instead of yellow…turned out perfectly. So comforting whilst still healthy. Should this even be called a salad?! It doesn’t seem fair to how incredibly filling it was. THANK YOU for sharing this dish with the cyber-world!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

hehe thanks Nat!

Izzy January 30, 2011

Oooh, I doubt my Magic Bullet can handle carrot, but…just maybe??! I saw a VitaMix at Costco this weekend and just sighed a huuge sigh in front of the set up :(

I’ve been obsessed with lentils lately! So much so that I made a mini-tut on how to cook them on my blog… soo fibre+protein+iron-licious! Lurrrve

izzyy
xoxx

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 30, 2011

I started making carrot smoothies this winter after making (and becoming obsessed with) your carrot cake oats! Too funny. I can never get enough carrots (my 8 year old self just gave a horrified look).

Dawn January 30, 2011

I’m definitely making this smoothie – But I know my smoothie probably can’t handle the carrots, so I plan on using some steamed carrots to save my blender the hassle. I think it should still turn out fantastic!

One Healthy Apple January 31, 2011

I will ONLY eat my bread toasted- and toasted at least at the medium setting. It’s a sickness for me!

Your smoothie looks delightful too and so healthy.

Andrea January 31, 2011

I just whipped up a carrot cake smoothie and LOVE it! It was the perfect solution this morning having run out of spinach. (It kind of pains me to not get a serving of veggies in for breakfast). I also did an 8 mile training run on the treadmill this week. I was thinking the exact same thing. My body could do it…it was my mind that was struggling. I had to just keep telling myself that as I chugged along. “Your legs are moving, your brain is slowing you down!” Hopefully the snowy streets of NY will clear soon!!

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 31, 2011

Ooooh carrot cake smoothie, i’ve never thought of that! Looks yummy. good job on the 78mins on a treadmill – i don’t think i could do that!

Emma January 31, 2011

that salad looks so delicious! I love to eat in season, it just feels so right in my body, like the nutrients found in winter produce, like sweet potatoes, are just what my body needs to feel energized in the winter.

Alyyyyyyne January 31, 2011

Hey!!!

I was wondering, half the time when I make the Banana Soft Serves, they never fluff up! Do you know why that might happen?? It’s soooo disappointing, because when it DOES fluff it is AMAZIIIINNG. I usually use a frozen banana, chia seeds, protein powder, cinnamon, and stevia <333

Cheers!
Alyne

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 31, 2011

A carrot cake smoothie sounds SO good! I have to try this!!

And Mark Bittman is always amazing, isn’t he? I love your adaptation- looks delish!

xo

Amanda (Tomboy That Wears Makeup) January 31, 2011

Your SO talented Angela! I love seeing what your going to make next! Good job on the running! I am training for a triathlon- and even for me- 8 miles is a big feat! Way to GO:)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 31, 2011

Is that Chocolate Pecan Butter I see?!?!? OHMYGOSH!!! That is amazing!!! Do you just add cocoa powder to your pecan butter to make is Chocolate Pecan Butter? or is the process a little more arduous?

HarleyGirlTX January 31, 2011

Good on ya for 8 miles on the treadmill. I once did a 13 mile training run on the treadmill and thought I would die. Trust me, if you did 8, you should count it as 16!

Thanks for the smoothie recipe. I must try it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2011

i love the way you think! heh

Emma January 31, 2011

I made the sweet potato and black bean salad for dinner last night, since I had all the ingredients. It turned out delish and I’m enjoying leftovers at my desk right now. :)

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com January 31, 2011

I too prefer toasted bread! It’s simply the best.

Madeline January 31, 2011

I often times will just try to “wing it” with smoothie recipes…but I actually followed this one to a T and it turned out great! Thanks for the recommendation…I rarely think to use carrots!

Allie January 31, 2011

Carrot Cake smoothie is going on my To Make list. Yum!

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) January 31, 2011

Yum, I’m always looking for new bread to try! I like the Food for Life brand, but I dislike that I can only find it frozen. Right now I’m pretty obsessed with Cobb’s bread… they have a new Chia bread which is to die for. I am going to look for this brand though – I’ll always try any bread at least once. :)

ps. My running friends *LOVE* your bars.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2011

thanks!

Sarah@NaturalDiabetic January 31, 2011

I agree, running on the treadmill is definitely a test of mental strength! Don’t know how you did 8 miles! I can barely eek out 3 on a treadmill. Painful! Smoothie looks delish by the way!

Marit February 1, 2011

Hey.
In Norway you can get studded trainers for outdoor winter runs. I am not much of a runner myself but quite a few of my friends use them and tell me they are incredible as they allow for outdoor running all year. Indoor exercise is boring if that’s all you do all winter and motivation suffers…

Icebug is a great shoe reccomended for winter runs
(Norwegian site….http://www.xxl.no/sko/damesko/vinterstoevler/attla-l-bugrip-1066360?searchWord=icebug)

And Sarva Xero is supposed to be a superb running shoe with fab grip…
(again in norwegian…http://www.oslosportslager.no/produkt/sarva-xero-lopesko-med-pigg-dame-22616.aspx?utm_source=Kelkoo&utm_medium=Oppf%C3%B8ring&utm_campaign=Kelkoo)

Why not see if you can get something like it in Canada?
You might get past your mental hinder if you get out?

I will definatelly try your dinner recipe… it looks deelish!

Tanya @ Vegan Faith February 1, 2011

I do not understand how you can run for 8 miles on a treadmill! You are awesome! Meanwhile that sweet potato and black bean salad looks delightful! Thanks for sharing!

Renae February 1, 2011

Oh my! I made the carrot cake smoothie this morning and it delicious! My 5 yr old & 3 yr old loved it too! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful recipes!

kaila @ healthy helper! February 1, 2011

i love silver hills bread! but only get to have it about once a year because they don’t sell it in new york :(! anyone for a bread exchange lol? it is so light and delish for being a sprouted wheat bread! And that black bean sweet potato salad looks awesome….those two foods are one of the best combos in my opinion!

Amanda February 1, 2011

I just got my first blender over the weekend and this recipe looks incredible. Can’t wait to try it!

Brenda February 2, 2011

I am looking for a Carrot Cake Recipe that includes sweet potatoes as a ingredient, (that may be used to substiute suger). Not even sure that sweet potatoes CAN be a sub for suger in recipes but I am in learning mode!

Meredith February 2, 2011

Made the black bean and sweet potato salad tonight… it was FANTASTIC!! Your recipes never steer me wrong!

Johanna February 4, 2011

Hey Angela,
I just made the sweet potato slad. It turned out amazing! Thanks!

Jenny April 11, 2012

I made this for dinner tonight with the leftover black beans I had from making your butternut squash and black bean burritos… Two hit recipes in one day. The tang from the lime juice and slight kick from the cumin paired beautifully with the sweet potato – just as you outlined in the post! And almost anything with cilantro is bound to be awesome.

As for bread and toast… I’ve been eating Silver Hills bread for over a year – love the stuff! I’m a little bit peeved by how they reduced the mass per loaf but didn’t change the price… but that was a while ago, and for making such awesome bread, it’s hard not to forgive the company. (Especially when they use organic ingredients, and GMO wheat is set to enter the Canadian food industry this year. :( )

Tamara May 1, 2012

I just made the sweet potato salad last night and LOVED it. Thank you for this recipe. I substituted parsley for cilantro and added wheatberries to it. FABULOUS. Would definitely make this again!

Nina August 14, 2012

Once again, daughter loves another of your recipes. What a great mix of flavors!
Thanks so much, Nina

April Deters April 20, 2013

I love your blog and as I am literally eating it this minute, I had to comment on this amazing Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Warm Salad. It is one of my favorites! The flavor is just perfect and it is also good as leftovers. Thank you for sharing this!

Kristi June 8, 2013

If i could suggest…………for the Carrot Cake Smoothie………try carrot pulp from your juicer. No worries about little carrot bits not getting blended! Btw — can’t wait to have another one of these – thanks for sharing!

Marina August 17, 2013

I was wondering what type of protein powder you use. I’m having trouble finding a vegan one that I like!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2013

I don’t use protein powder that often, but when I do I use the raw sunwarrior protein powder. there is a new blend of pea protein that I enjoy.

Page 3 of 3«123