No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Now this is what I call a Happy Friday.

IMG 0068 2 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Luckily for my little baking ‘habit’, there is always a reason to bake.

My friends have birthdays. Their significant others have birthdays. My family have birthdays. It’s December. It’s the 3rd Tuesday of the month. Eric’s coworkers hit the 3pm slump. It’s storming outside. There is an old lady down the road who doesn’t know who I am but enjoys my baked goods. Valentine’s Day. This blog. Eric. You.

vdaybanner120th thumb2   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

This creates a sense of purpose in my life.

But don’t get me wrong, I will bake for no other reason other than just wanting to bake. And wanting to eat what I bake. Yes, I do enjoy that quite a bit come to think of it. Baking for sheer enjoyment is a good reason in itself, but it does make me happy when I have others I can bake for too.

And really, what could be better to drool over on a Friday morning when you are anxiously watching the clock, anticipating the fun weekend ahead, and planning all the delicious things that you are going to eat?

IMG 0065 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

My friend Julie had a birthday get together last night and she is a huge chocolate and peanut butter fan. When she heard that I made Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter she made a double batch that very same day, as well as a Dark Chocolate Almond Butter batch for good measure. Her love for chocolate and peanut butter is quite intense. Obviously, I made the girl a chocolate peanut butter dessert and the end result was so fantastic, I wished it was my birthday. Only 3.5 months to go…

IMG 0046 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB Fudge

Like a chocolate rice crispie square amped up and packed with crispy, chewy goodness. The chocolate peanut butter fudgy ‘frosting’ is the perfect compliment to this not too sweet dessert.

Print this recipe!

Inspired by Joy of Baking.

Yield: 16 squares.

Squares:

• 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
  • 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
  • 3 cups crisp rice cereal (I use GF Nature’s Path)
  • 1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts (optional, but adds a nice texture)
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips

Dark Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter ‘Fudge’:

This is adapted from my Chocolate Peanut Butter.

• 1 cup all-natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut + coconut for sprinkling (optional)

Directions

1. Line an 8 inch square pan with 2 pieces of parchment paper going each way.

2. In a medium sized saucepan, stir together the peanut butter, brown rice syrup, vanilla, and almond milk together over low-medium heat. Once combined, slowly add in the sifted cocoa power and the kosher salt. Stir over low heat being careful not to burn.

3. Mix in the 3 cups of rice crispies and remove from heat. Now add I the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and optional peanuts. stir well. Spread this mixture into the square pan lined with parchment paper. Press down firmly and evenly. Place in the freezer for at least 10 minutes to firm up.

4. Meanwhile, make the Dark Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter by melting the 1/2 cup chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. Be careful not to burn. Now stir in the 1 cup peanut butter, 1/3 cup coconut (optional), and kosher salt to taste. Mix until completely combined.

5. Remove the pan from the freezer when firm to touch and spread on as much of the Dark Chocolate PB ‘fudge’ as you prefer. I think I used about 3/4-1 cup. Sprinkle with coconut if desired.

6. Place in the freezer for 45-50 minutes until firm (yes it takes longer to firm up than you think!). Cut into squares and enjoy! Store in the freezer or fridge.

I’m obviously really into the no-bake (i.e. fast and easy) treats lately so I tried to come up with something that would fit the bill, but still make a show-stopping and drool-worthy dessert for any birthday girl.

IMG 9972b thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

The peanuts are optional in this recipe, but they provided a nice texture in the squares.

IMG 9975 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

The first thing you do is mix together the vanilla, brown rice syrup, peanut butter, and almond milk over low-medium heat on the stovetop.

IMG 9981 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Now add in the kosher salt, sifted cocoa power, and peanuts. Stir well until smooth.

IMG 9982 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Add in the 3 cups rice crisp and the 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Oh yeaaaaa.

IMG 9985 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Scoop into your square pan and spread out.

IMG 9994 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Place in freezer for about 10 minutes to firm up.

IMG 9996 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’ IMG 9999 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Meanwhile, on the ranch…

20101126 IMG 3422 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Make the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter! I had some leftover in the fridge so I just softened it in the microwave for about 25 seconds or so and then stirred.

IMG 0012 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

However, if you are making it from scratch, it is very quick…

IMG 8751 thumb1   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’ IMG 8759 thumb1   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Melt chocolate. Stir in the remaining ingredients. EASY!

IMG 8768 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’ IMG 8802b thumb1   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

I also added in some shredded coconut for a fun texture in this fudgy frosting.

IMG 0013 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’ IMG 0014 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Once the square mixture is firm, pour on your desired amount of fudgy frosting. I think I used 3/4 cup or so.

IMG 0017 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Spread the goodness all around.

IMG 0018 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’ IMG 0019 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Now place in the freezer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes to set.

IMG 0020 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Remove from pan and cut into squares.

IMG 0028 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’ IMG 0029 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Dear me.

IMG 0041 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

Quality control.

IMG 0065 thumb1   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

I had no idea how these were going to turn out, but I was blown away. These are one of my favourite desserts to ever cross this kitchen. You can get creative with the ingredients too. It might be fun using Dark Chocolate Almond Butter and chopped almonds, or other mix ins like raisins, walnuts, or pecans too!

Or what about White Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter? Mmm.

IMG 0068 2 thumb1   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

I ended up saving a square for Eric and after he tried it he said if we weren’t already married he would have proposed to me upon first bite. bahaha.

IMG 0072 thumb   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

I think I know what dessert I’m making him for Valentine’s Day now!

These squares would go perfectly with my Choco Peanut Butter Hot Cocoa too…

IMG 97984 300x199   No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

P.S.- Don’t forget you have until Feb. 7th to enter my Valentine’s Day recipe contest. =)

Baking 'n' Books January 28, 2011

I’m still trying to come up with a good recipe! Do you need the recipe exact – or is an “idea” okay?

I wish I could just bake to give to others and enjoy it…I DO enjoy it and love it – but I don’t have many people to give it to…then I end up eating it all…and yet I trudge on in hopes of just bakin’ and bookin’ one day…

Such a moron ;)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 28, 2011

My “Desserts” folder in my bookmark is filled with all of your recipes! Here’s another recipe to add :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit January 28, 2011

That looks SO yummy!

Gen January 28, 2011

Oh goodness! This looks amazing!!!!! You seriously bake the best food!

Amy @ purewellnessamy January 28, 2011

Oh my gosh – my stomach is rumbling now! These look awesome!

ashley@quasichick January 28, 2011

I am now craving these..hmm let’s check and see what I need to make them!?!?

Laura January 28, 2011

So I know this may be sacrilege, but I wonder, how would you make them non chocolatey? Like a rice crispy breakfast bar. I picture the peanut butter, brown rice syrup, and maybe dried cherries or cranberries with chopped peanuts, but then would that be enough flavor without the melted chocolate chips and cocoa powder?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 28, 2011

I’ll have to keep these in mind for if I ever want to get a marriage proposal out of a guy. ;)

bitt of raw January 28, 2011

AMAZING!!!!! if you sold these I’d be ordering one right now.

Zandra January 28, 2011

This recipe is really making me drool, my husband and son (and I) will love it. However, I was wondering what I could sub for the brown rice syrup? I am not vegan and have both honey and agave syrup on hand. I wasn’t sure if one of those would add too much sweetness though? I’ve tried the brown rice syrup before and didn’t think it was very sweet.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2011

You could probably substitute another liquid sweetener (maple syrup, agave, or honey) although I am not sure it will hold together *as* well but Im sure it will still work if you keep them chilled. :) Goodluck!

Audrey January 28, 2011

I think I just died. These look like heaven in edible form. Yuuuuumm!

Hannah January 28, 2011

I just wriggled around on my seat with excitement! I’ve made vegan peanut butter crispy treats before but didn’t add chocolate to the mix, and nor did mine have frosting. Dear This Recipe: Get In My Belly! :D

Jackie January 28, 2011

Of course, I read this recipe and raced to the health food store to buy the ingredients I was missing (rice cereal and brown rice syrup). Just made them but substituted almond butter for peanut butter and didn’t use the coconut (I love coconut, but my kids don’t). I can’t wait to try them after dinner. I LOVE everything you make. Tomorrow I’m going to try the Vegan Mac & Cheese again (last time I used too much pasta and it was dry). Next week, I’m trying the Lentil-Walnut loaf. You never ceased to amaze me with your creativity..totally inspires me! btw, just made homemeade almond butter for the first time last week. soooo great. no added oil either, but it could have been creamier. next time i will process even longer. thank you!!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2011

thanks Jackie, Im glad you enjoy it! Also, I actually doubled the sauce in the updated mac n cheese recipe too…I found it a bit dry, so now it has extra sauce and we enjoyed it much more. I hope you do too!

Angela

Anna Crouch January 28, 2011

Is it very obvious that most women’s favorite foods are chocolate and peanut butter…and what we like even better is if they are combined??! Glorious!! I’m definitely going to buy the ingredients I need to make these puppies! Then proceed to hide them in the freezer so my husband never finds them :)

Kristin January 29, 2011

I made these with homemade pecan butter yesterday. They were fantastic and just the thing I needed for my post run refuel. Thanks for your consistently excellent recipes and your interesting posts.

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life January 29, 2011

holy moly, those look great! you are a good friend. :)

Madeline January 30, 2011

My sister and I have been following your blog dying to try a recipie. She is hooked on the green monster smoothies and I have more of a sweet tooth! I tried this with agave nectar as opposed to brown rice syrup- and found that it did not taste too sweet like I was afraid off. I really enjoyed this recipie, it was simple and quick!

I think I am going to try this again- but try to incorperate bananas. I was a little overwhelmed with the peanut butter icing (not to say that it wasnt delicious!) but my peanut butter ending up having kind of a roasted and burnt taste, (could be the brand I chose..) But I think bananas in this recipie would be a great experiment!

thanks! xoxo

Becky January 31, 2011

I made these PB Chocolate Crispies this weekend – holy smokes, are they fabulous! My omni husband ate one and said it was wonderful. When I told him they were vegan, he said, “That doesn’t seem right.” He doesn’t really believe that vegan food can be delicious, no matter how much of it I make for myself. He just focuses on the “yucky” veggies and “weirdo” grains – little did he know that there are some fabulous desserts, too! Thanks to you, Angela, I think he may eat the rest of them!

Becky January 31, 2011

I forgot to add – I didn’t have any coconut oil, so I used vegetable oil instead for the frosting. Minor swap and they were still fab!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2011

‘that doesn’t seem right’ HAHAHA!!!!! love that

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com January 31, 2011

These make me wanna become a vegan, for real.

Shelley January 31, 2011

Oh my gosh, two of my absolute favorite things are peanut butter and chocolate!! I cannot wait to make this recipe (what a fun dessert for a super bowl party).

Catherine January 31, 2011

Thanks for this recipe – made them over the weekend and they were so tasty! Pretty easy and fast, too. The omnis thought they were quite delicious, too :)

Jenny January 31, 2011

hey this looks incredible. I wanna make them for my boyfriend for valentine’s day !
but do you think agave can we substituted for brown rice syrup?
and regular vegetable oil for coconut oil? because they are all i’ve got on hand

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2011

In my experience agave doesn’t hold together as well as BRS…my advice would be to make sure you keep them chilled in the fridge so they do not fall apart. :) Veg oil could probably be used too…just note that the flavours will change and I’m not sure how this will impact the overall taste. Goodluck!

Kim February 3, 2011

Thank you, thank you, thank you Angela!!!!!!!!!! I made these yummy treats last night and was overwhelmed by their richness yet healthiness….or at least that’s what I told myself :) My boyfriend is a huge PB and chocolate fan so these will be a winner!!!! Have a wonderful day :)

Jules February 4, 2011

I went on a vegan fast for 3 weeks to kick the year off and I love your blog! I just made these today and they are soooo good and very rich! Thanks for all the recipes!

Mae February 6, 2011

I made these tonight, and they were great! I used ingredients that I had on hand, and I’m not vegan, so I used Karo syrup and regular milk and omitted the coconut, but these were still amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jodi February 7, 2011

I made these last night, in addition to the no-bake peanut butter cups. They were both AMAZING! One thing I noticed – that the PB “fudge” on these chocolate crispies – there seemed to be more on mine than how it looks in the picture. Nonetheless, they were delicious and were devoured. I loved how light they were due to the rice cereal, and they weren’t a heavy dessert, but still packed a lot of flavor!

May Cookie Co. February 7, 2011

What a fun recipe! I like the simplicity – and LOVE the chocolate and peanut butter involved.

Erin February 8, 2011

Hey Angela,

I just wanted to let you know that I brought a container of these to my Entrepreneurs’ Organization forum meeting yesterday (6 carnivorous guys + me), and they were a huge hit! The guys know I’m vegan, but were blown away by how good these were. I think I’ll start bringing treats to our monthly meetings and look forwrd to surprising them with more of your awesome recipes :)

Trish April 19, 2012

Just mixed up a batch of these… I didn’t have chocolate chips, so I used chocolate peanut butter… And I’m skipping the frosting this time cuz it’s late and I want to eat them before bed. :) (yeah, I’m not 39 weeks pregnant or anything.) They look fab, I’m just waiting for them to cool enough to cut!

Emily May 17, 2012

My husband’s last day at his current job is tomorrow and I’m making these for a cookout they’re having. Neither of us are vegans, but there are a handful of vegans at his workplace, so I wanted to make something everybody can enjoy. I can’t wait! And I will definitely be on the quality control team before these leave our house tomorrow morning! :-)

Nancy May 22, 2012

When should I add the peanuts? I think sentence 3 is missing a word, following: Now add…………

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2012

You add it in just after the chocolate. Thanks for catching that! I fixed it.

dee June 24, 2012

hi

i really like those square u made, but i was wondering if i can completely omit 1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips while make those square or do i have to substitute with some other ingredient?
for making Dark Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter ‘Fudge’: can i not use 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips instead i can use milk or semi sweet chocolate chip or whatever you think best, my son does not like dark chocolate nor he like tooooo chocolaty stuff… many of your recipes have chocolate chips… well one by one i am going to try all of your recipe with tons of question :) sorry to bother you in advance

thanks for doing such a great job

dee June 24, 2012

will honey work instead of brown rice syrup?

Emily E. August 8, 2012

Made these last night with part honey and part maple syrup…delicious! Two of my non-vegan friends even emailed for the recipe this morning! Thank you!

Jenny August 21, 2012

Made these today! I used cashew butter instead of peanut butter for both the base and the fudge by accident (it took me that long to realise I had the wrong nut butter jar), but they still turned out beautifully. (The downsides of storing homemade nut butters in almost-identical jars…) These bars are delicious! Perfect summer treats thanks to the “no-bake” aspect. Thank you, Angela! :)

Cassie September 18, 2012

Out of everything of yours that I have made, these will always be my favorite. Well done! I love your recipes!

katie October 11, 2012

these look great! is there anything i can substitute the brown rice syrup for? would coconut oil work or wrong texture?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

Hey Katie! I haven’t tried anything else in this recipe, but keep in mind the brown rice syrup is the binder here. If you eat honey, that could work too since it’s so sticky. goodluck!

Ashley October 24, 2012

These are fantastic! :) I made them without the ganache first and thought they were great but when I made a bit of ganache to put on one tonight I realized they were over the top! Thanks for another great recipe!

Janice October 26, 2012

Love the recipr but is there any way you can post the recipe and instructions so I can print them without the pictures?

Terri December 16, 2012

Hi. I made these today and they taste absolutely amazing but my crisp rice are soft not crispy. Any idea why this happened??????

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2012

Hi Terri, The rice crispies do soften a bit but I dont think I would call mine soft. I wonder if it was a bad batch? Did you modify the recipe at all?

Page 3 of 4«1234»