Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 21, 2011

Good morning!

Those Valentine’s Day recipes are looking delicious so far! Eric is going to have a very hard decision on his hands. I caught him drooling over the recipes this morning and he promptly told me that he might have to pick ‘10 or 30’ recipes, instead of 2.

IMG_9501

Yesterday, I had a wonderful speed run. As I mentioned in my Tempo run post, I love intervals.

I used to hate the idea of speed work because I thought it was one long, exhausting sprint the entire workout, but that just isn’t true. Speed work is simply a succession of hard + easy intervals on the treadmill, road, or track, often run in 400 metre/0.25 mile intervals.

They are quick, productive, and are great for those days when you don’t have a lot of time!

Hal Hidgon explains:

1) If you want to run at a fast pace, you need to train at a fast pace several days a week.

2) An interval workout usually consists of fast repeats separated by walking or jogging.

3) Run the 400s at about your pace for 5-K, or 10-K.

Yesterday, my Speed training looked like this:

Jog Interval = 6.0 mph (10 min/mile) for 400 metres/0.25 mile

Speed Interval = 7.5 mph (8 min/mile) for 400 metres/0.25 mile

REPEAT 8 times for a total distance of 4 miles (37 mins). I paused for a water break in between each mile.

I really love the intervals because I get to ‘rest’ every 400 metres, so it really helps me push hard during my speed interval. I’m hoping the Tempo runs and Speed work will help offset the fact that I am training for this half marathon mostly indoors.

And after a tough workout, there is nothing more I love to do than to help my body ‘recover’…wink, wink.

IMG_9488

IMG_9457

Grab that beautiful cup of Red Quinoa and cook it according to package directions.

IMG_9459

Red Quinoa is so much more fun than the regular kind!

IMG_9461

Chop your vegetables and rinse and drain the black beans…

IMG_9476b

Assemble the dressing ingredients:

IMG_9462b

Juice the limes to make 4-5 tablespoons.

IMG_9467

Add all dressing ingredients into a bowl.

IMG_9468

Whisk away!

IMG_9470

When the quinoa is cooked, add in the chopped vegetables and beans and stir well.

IMG_9479

I just dumped everything into the cooking pot, but I supposed you could transfer it to a bowl if you wanted to!

IMG_9480

Pour on the dressing and mix. Serve at room temperature.

IMG_9488

This salad is irresistible! It is light, fresh, and has a wonderful tangy kick from the lime juice. It also makes a great lunch and has a lot of staying power thanks to the protein-rich black beans and quinoa and healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil.

IMG_9499

Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.

IMG_9520

Here’s to a healthy weekend ahead!

It’s time to have a productive Friday of work to kick off the weekend. Have a good one!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 21, 2011 at 10:33 am

I was this close to making quinoa and black beans for dinner last night. Do you like red quinoa more than ‘white’? Is there nutritional difference?

Michelle January 21, 2011 at 10:37 am

I love the way I can print the recepies. Thanks so much. I will be having this tomorrow after my long run outside in the snow! But truth be told I love that part of living in Niagara!!!! Be well.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2011 at 10:40 am

Have a great run and enjoy the recipe!

Jackie @ Baking Charms January 21, 2011 at 10:37 am

I definitely prefer red quinoa – so yummy. I love the Trader Joe’s brand!

Tammy Root January 21, 2011 at 10:44 am

Hi Ange,
This salad is right up my alley! Do you have the nutritional break-down for this recipe?? Thanks so much.
Tammy

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

This sounds lovely Ange!! I am adoring salads and quinoa lately – I think I’ve posted at least 4 salads on my blog this week but I can’t get enough!!! Might just have to make this one too. :)

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

Haha, silly Eric ;)

Uhh I hate intervals, I am more of an endureance runner :p. My boyfriend’s in the army and always pushes me to do intervals with him, which have me near puking at the end. Fun times!

I cooked with red quinoa yesterday too! but I think I like the taste of the regular one better..

x sabine

Laury @thefitnessdish January 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

Wow, so delicious and beautiful!! I love red quinoa! I am loving fresh salads lately. I need more quinoa in my life. I was on a kick for a while then stopped. It’s so delicious!

Moni'sMeals January 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

Awesome recipe. I have to admit I have not tried Red Quinoa. This is right up my alley though.
Have a great day and weekend too Angela. :)

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

Haha, silly Eric ;)

Uhh I hate intervals, I am more of an endurance runner :p. My boyfriend’s in the army and always pushes me to do intervals with him, which have me near puking at the end. Fun times!

x sabine

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

Oops sorry for the double post!

Liza Jane January 21, 2011 at 11:03 am

I do love avocado. It tastes really good on the Wheat Berry Salad too. I added a few pieces to mine for lunch yesterday and it really helped keep me full all afternoon.

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa January 21, 2011 at 11:04 am

I made this salad the other day – it is amazing! Loving all the leftovers….

Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 21, 2011 at 11:05 am

I just made a good green quinoa salad last night but I love the dressing you used for this!

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 21, 2011 at 11:16 am

I eat regular quinoa a lot but have never tried red quinoa. It looks so much prettier! :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 21, 2011 at 11:17 am

I have those same measuring cups! :D
I love quinoa and I have recently found the red kind! Love it! :D

Gen January 21, 2011 at 11:19 am

Mmmmmmmmm that quinoa looks delish! I love the flavor that cilantro adds to things!!!! =D

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 21, 2011 at 11:20 am

I loveeeee red quinoa! Its one of my favorite, and this looks so tasty! Loving the photos!

Andrea B. January 21, 2011 at 11:21 am

What a fab looking recipe….I just loving using quinoa! Even my meat & potatoes loving hubby loves quinoa – which is awesome because I feel like I’m sneaking in all this healthy goodness he doesn’t even realize he’s getting ;-) Can you substitute something for the cilantro? Neither of us really enjoy it, but I never know what to sub instead.

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 21, 2011 at 11:21 am

That looks so tasty! Any time lime and avocado are paired, I’m in.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 21, 2011 at 11:22 am

I love quinoa and beans together. Veggies can stay out of my salad. ;)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats January 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

These combined so many of my favorite flavors – I will definitely try it soon!

[email protected] January 21, 2011 at 11:27 am

Great run! you are speeedy!

Dani @ Body By Nature January 21, 2011 at 11:31 am

Is there a difference in taste between red quinoa and white quinoa?

Lisa January 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

Yum, this looks so good! I make something very similar all the time and I too love it after a tough workout! Good idea adding an avocado – I’m definitely going to try that!

Alexandra January 21, 2011 at 11:35 am

I had a similar 10k pace so I used your tempo run as the base for my workout yesterday and wow it was great! I ended up picking up the pace again on and off for a few min at the end to finish up 6 miles in about 43 min. Knowing that I was only doing each interval for 5 min at a time really helped and made the treadmill so much more pleasant and the miles just seemed to fly by!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 21, 2011 at 11:35 am

Love the use of lime in this!

Julia (The Veggie Side) January 21, 2011 at 11:43 am

I love quinoa salads! Your looks so good. I recently started running and can’t wait to run longer distances!

Heather (heathers dish) January 21, 2011 at 11:47 am

This sounds so southwestern! I love the texture of quinoa and beans together…perfect!

Amber K January 21, 2011 at 11:49 am

I make a very similar salad and I agree, it’s delicious! In fact, I really want some right now… And red quinoa is just so much prettier than the white kind. I’m going to have to give your version a try!

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy January 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Your red quinoa salad looks AMAZING! I have been addicted to quinoa lately… but I have yet to try the red variety!

“Here’s to a healthy weekend ahead!”<— Love it!!

Marcia January 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Okay, so here goes:

1. I love red quinoa. LOVE it. And that salad looks awesome. I have made various versions of it before, but I bet the lime juice makes it totally kickin’. I usually use rice vinegar. Definitely going to put this on my menu again soon.

2. I used to LOVE tempo runs. I still love intervals. I couldn’t believe how they helped me increase my running speed. Especially when I started adjusting my speed for distance (so my 400’s were faster than my 800’s, which were faster than my 1600’s, etc.) Of course I’m injured now, so no running for me. I miss it. But I’ve been doing P90X, and it’s a similar thing…small sets of exercises so you can push it hard then get a break.

[email protected] Sweet Life January 21, 2011 at 12:07 pm

GORGEOUS salad. I love how often you use mason jars!

Meesh January 21, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I love salads like this! Perfect to make a big batch on Sunday and bring to work for the rest of the week!

Beach Bum Beauty January 21, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Perfect timing! I’ve got some quinoa at home and wasn’t sure what to do with it and now I do! ;-)

Malorie January 21, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I was thrilled to find I had all these ingredients in my house today. Lunch was amazing! This is like an upgrade to the Black Bean Avocado and Lime salad you posted earlier (which I am also addicted to when it comes down to easy lunches). Quinoa just has the most wonderful taste and textures (chewy and nutty and subtle, yum!) and the red Quinoa just looks so beautiful in any dish.

Thanks for this recipe! It’s definitely helping me get through a pretty rough Friday work day. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it Malorie! Yes it does remind me of the Black bean + lime salad from a little while ago- just amped up like you said! I love the flavour combo…just delish!

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm

MMM that salad looks phenomenal. Will be adding limes and cilantro to my grocery list!

Jess January 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’ve really been wanting to try the red quinoa, i need to see if I can find it at traders joes or the like so I can try this recipe. Black beans, corn and avocado with lime and cilantro always make such a flavorful combination. I made a salad like that last summer: http://semiweeklyeats.blogspot.com/2009/08/black-bean-and-corn-salad.html
and its vegan!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm

This looks like such a good summer salad. I miss summerrr!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm

This recipe looks awesome, and I have almost all the ingredients on hand! I will be making this soon!

xo

Charlie January 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm

This salad sounds so yummy! I loooove red quinoa :).

Marjie January 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm

WOW! Does this sound yummo!! I am making it this weekend!
It will be an “OH She Glows” week for me, (I make a weeks worth of breakfasts and lunches for work on Sundays because I leave the house so early during the week) and this is going to be great for Monday and Tuesday’s lunches. Making your Banana Cranberry Oat Bars to eat on the way to the gym, Green Monsters for after the gym, and of course Overnight Oats for breakfst each morning!
Thanks for the great recipies and workout tips. I am loving your site.

[email protected] January 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm

that salad looks amazing!!!

Rhona January 21, 2011 at 1:35 pm

that salad looks so good. very pleasing to the eye also. I just had my first taste of red quinoa this week so i look forward to eating this salad soon.

Gina January 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Loving how colorful that salad is! Sounds so good :)

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow January 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm

YUMMO! I make a very similar salad but add mango to the mix (or pineapple!)…so delish. here’s the recipe:

Hannah January 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Wow this looks so beautiful! Foods that have so much color are so much more fun to eat!

You should do a post on sweet potato fries if you haven’t yet! They are soooo delish.

lauren January 21, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Yummm — what a lovely dish!
I buy red quinoa (and most things that I can) in the bulk section — it’s usually a lot less per pound that way :) although I love Eden products

britt January 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm

that looks so fresh, healthy, and YUMMY!!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Beautiful salad! I love red quinoa!

Allison @ Food For Healing January 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm

i have yet to try red quinoa, i need to pick some up next time i see any in store

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition January 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I love your set up!

Looks delicious– I love eating the rainbow :)

Lauren January 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’ve started doing speedwork lately too, and I enjoy the rests between them, and I push myself. The only problem I’ve been having is getting each interval at a similar speed.

[email protected] January 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I never even new that red quinoa existed until I read your post. I’m a huge fan of regular quinoa so I’m definitely going to give it a go. I tend to eat with my eyes and your salad looked so pretty!

wendy (healthy girl's kitchen) January 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Looking at this post it was like I was having deja vu! I have made this salad so many time . . . I actually got the recipe off of the box of red quinoa from Trader Joes. I altered the dressing slightly because I don’t use processed oils in my cooking, but it is delicious nonetheless. I have brought it to countless potlucks. Everyone asks for the recipe. So I’m laughing now that you are saying you found the recipe in a fancy food magazine! The food world really is that small and there are things that just get recycled constantly. I’m just wondering if the writer from Epicurious gave credit to the folks at Trader Joes for the recipe . . . anyway, here’s my post about it complete with the no oil dressing I made. LOL! http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/05/day-9-and-red-quinoa-salad.html

Namaste Gurl January 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Oooh, all over this salad creation. I’m loving red quinoa currently, so new so me as I usually always shoot for normal quinoa. Thus far, I love it and can’t wait to experiment with it more. I think I have all those ingredients on hand, so may just have to give it a try. I’m experimenting with making a red quinoa, kale and black bean soup, we’ll see how it goes!:)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm

The colors are just gorgeous, Angela! Your photos just pop off the screen! I love them!

I love the dressing, simple, flavorful. Well, the whole dish is that way :) It’s one pot and not a lot of dishes, or too many steps. Gotta love that!

I hope you have a stellar weekend. And dont spend too much time at your ‘puter reorganizing recipes, ok! :)

Ashley January 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I’ve never had red quinoa but this looks spectacular. If I ever find some this will be the first dish I make with it.

Lisa January 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I love the flavor of the Red quinoa! That’s the type I’d usually buy. This recipe looks really healthy.

Mary Allison @ Southern Sober Girl Runs January 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I am making this tonight! No question about it!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 21, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Wow this salad looks delicious! So colorful!
I REALLY wish I had some quinoa in the house!

Katie January 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Beautiful, as always. This was one of the first dishes I made after I went gluten free. I didn’t use red quinoa though. I still never have, but it make the dish so much prettier!

Candy (Healthy in Candy Land) January 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm

This sounds so yummy, and makes me miss summer more than I already do! I just so happen to have some leftover black beans in my fridge, too. Perfect!

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I make a very similar salad minus the Avocado.

Candice @ChiaSeedMe January 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Beautiful, Angela! I love the look of this salad. I’ve yet to try red quinoa, but based on how pretty it is I’d say it must be even better than regular.

One of these days I’ll be able to make my photos look as pretty as yours. I remember seeing your “set” during PFB – do you just set your subject on your dining table in the natural light and snap away? They’re so beautiful…it seems you must have some kind of trick up your sleeve;) Pure raw talent, maybe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm

You are too kind! I have a table by the window that I use during the day and then a lightbox we built that I use a bit here and there (I’ll be doing a post on that in a bit). I also shoot only in RAW format and I use Lightroom to edit raw photos.

[email protected] Broken Cookies Don't Count January 21, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Hi Angela~

This recipe sounds terrific! I just tried quinoa for the first time on Sunday and I love it! However, you’re just a few days short on the black beans. I cooked a whole bag of the dried black beans in my crock pot. They turned out great, but they’re all gone now :-( Not to worry…it’s so easy to do, I’ll be making them again soon and I’m going to try this. Thanks for the great idea!
Fran

Alex @ Healing Beauty January 21, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I absolutely love the combination of quinoa, cilantro, avocado and lime. I was able to find these ingredients when I lived in France last summer and it made me think I was having a mexican fiesta!

Gemma January 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm

just made this. but unfortunately my little small town grocery store does NOT carry any type of quinoa. so i subbed brown rice. it’s delicioso! :) but i can’t wait to try quinoa.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011 at 9:13 am

Glad to know it works with rice!

Marie-Journey to Body Zen January 21, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I cannot find quinoa in my local grocery store and there are no health food stores nearby…I’m going to have to order some online because this recipe looks amazing!

Cori January 21, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I made a great salad the other day at work…it had lentils, dried apricots, raisins, kale and a pureed raspberry dressing. Very healthy and sweet! Mmmm

Sarah January 21, 2011 at 8:45 pm

This looks amazing!!! I live in Australia, and it’s quite a warm day today. This will be the perfect light dinner to make tonight! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Hannah January 21, 2011 at 9:05 pm

What a beautiful, colourful meal! And rather perfect for the current Australian summer :) Might try it with the black quinoa I just bought, though, to match the black beans :)

Roz January 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I love ALL colors of quinoa!! Great recipe, thanks!!!

KatieM~Run For The Bikini! January 21, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Speed Intervals are my favorite, especially on the treadmill. They’re not as boring and they make the time go faster, plus I always feel like I kicked my own booty afterwards and I LOVE it!

Salad looks amazing, I will definitely be attempting this :D

Heather January 21, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I love intervals too, great job! Makes the run go by so much faster and it’s not nearly as boring as running at one speed!

wendi January 21, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Thank you! I am so needing more dinners like this!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat January 22, 2011 at 12:25 am

Looks absoluetly delicious!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 22, 2011 at 12:53 am

I love Eden Organic’s products!! Have you ever tried their beans? SO GOOD!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011 at 9:12 am

Yes they are good!

Kristy H January 22, 2011 at 2:55 am

Yummmmm! I am making this for lunch tommorrow or possibly breakfast!

[email protected] January 22, 2011 at 3:56 am

Mmmmm that makes me hungry

Sarah @ Flavoropolis January 22, 2011 at 6:37 am

This looks lovely. I really like quinoa, but I rarely make it because I haven’t figured out a way to rinse it while it is still dry without getting at least 50% of the quinoa stuck to the mesh of whatever I am using to strain it. Am I the only one who finds this troublesome?

Camille January 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

I love how colorful this is! It looks gorgeous!

Darcey January 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I do a similar salad…a solution to frozen corn when fresh is not in season…roast defrosted frozen corn in the over with a bit of olive oil.

Allison January 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm

This looks wonderful!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Your photography continues to blow me away. This looks good enough to… errrrr… eat… :)

Faith @ lovelyascharged January 22, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I don’t know how you can enjoy interval sprints…I HATE them! As in…cuss up a storm in my mind while I’m tying to get through them!

Melinda January 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm

This looks really yummy. I love red quinoa because it gives any dish a nice color. So cute that you stored it in a jar.

Dana January 22, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I had to work today and needed something quick & easy to make last night for my lunch..I have a gluten & tomato allergy so this was absolutely perfect!

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 22, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Yummy :) Thanks for the tip on intervals. I’m gonna give this a try :)

Brandi January 22, 2011 at 9:13 pm

That looks good!(minus the avocado since I don’t like them)

I have to agree with you though red quinoa is more fun!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) January 22, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Wow that looks amazing!!! I love mixing quinoa with black beans or with chickpeas. Tastes fantastic!

Richelle January 22, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Red Quinoa is so much better than white, but I have a hard time finding it. I always love your recipes.

Runeatrepeat January 23, 2011 at 12:43 am

I’m always down for a recipe that includes black beans!

Laura January 23, 2011 at 9:10 am

This may be my new favorite recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Kelsey January 23, 2011 at 9:53 am

This is great! I bought some red quinoa at Earth Fare, not knowing what I was going to do with it.

Here’s my Ode to Oh She Glows: http://www.whattastyfood.com/2011/01/ode-to-oh-she-glows.html

Meg January 23, 2011 at 2:09 pm

This dish was delicious! I decided to saute the vegetables in a little of garlic & EVOO, and added in some produce I had left in the fridge, including asparagus, snow peas and 1/4 of an onion. This was a fantastic success! My boyfriend had about 3 servings and couldn’t get enough of it. Thanks for helping me solve the ever-so-frustrating dilemma of ‘What’s for dinner?” it was a delight!

Ash January 23, 2011 at 3:47 pm

SO COLORFUL!

Hope to make it soon!

Kristine January 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Awesome Recipe Angela!! Thanks so much for sharing – your a great chef!

Stephanie @ Living and Loving January 23, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I made this on Saturday… Amazing!!! I subbed the corn for edamame and when 1 of my limes wouldn’t juice AT ALL I added half of a lemon. I can’t wait to eat this for lunch this week!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2011 at 10:22 am

edamame is a GREAT idea!!!

Caitlin January 24, 2011 at 2:29 pm

i can’t wait to try this!

Bonfei January 24, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I just made this salad. I grabbed black peppercorn instead for black pepper at Trader Joes, oops! Mine came out a little dry. My can of black beans is 15 oz vs 14 oz, wonder if that is why? I do like the salad. Can’t wait to eat some more for lunch tomorrow.

Eileen January 25, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I finally found a quinoa recipe I love! This was awesome, thank you!

Lainie January 25, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I made this tonight and it was absolutely phenomenal! My husband hated quinoa…until he tried this! Thank you!

Aly February 6, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Just made this – so delicious!! Thanks for the recipe.

Colleen April 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm

This is absolutely delicious. I didn’t even have the cilantro and avocado to include and it was still a hit. I can’t wait to make it again with all the ingredients. Thank you for this great recipe. Keep doing what you’re doing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Im happy you enjoyed it Colleen!

Theresa Mulloy May 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Would you be able to substitute pureed navy bean instead of all of the olive oil like you did with the basil pesto sauce for your red quinoa and black bean salad?

andrea k May 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm

This was DELICIOUS! I gave some to friends and they loved it as well! Thanks for the recipe. I loved the red quinoa, and was also wondering if it would be as good with regular quinoa?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2012 at 6:18 pm

yes it would!

Angela June 28, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I made this today for lunch, the only substitution being white quinoa for red, and it was absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

veggie mama July 9, 2012 at 7:11 pm

This looks so damn incredible! One of my readers sent me a link and I’m so glad she did. I love quinoa and black beans, but never thought of putting them together. Genius! Thanks for sharing xx

Lili July 22, 2012 at 11:09 am

I made this yesterday, its amazing, i used white quinoa because I couldnt find the red one.. i love it, thanks for the awesome recipes. cant wait for ur book. (:

Jojo October 22, 2012 at 8:31 am

Wow!! Simply delicious!!

Naomi Figueroa November 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm

SO delicious! I have made a similar flavored “dip” or “salsa” without the quinoa during summer months, but this dish was really delicious and satisfying. I made it without corn because it’s fall right now, but it was still great! The avocado gives a really good balance and satisfies that craving for the creaminess of dairy (I’ve only been eating vegan for about a week…). Made half the recipe because I didn’t want to waste if I didn’t like it, but next time I’ll make the whole thing.

Robyn January 20, 2013 at 8:06 am

So healthy, so filling and really delicious. The fresh corn made this salad.

Margo February 9, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Amazing recipe. I just steamed briefly the froz. corn so it’s not rubbery at all ; )
Thanks a lot!

Anita Harmon February 25, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Made this for dinner tonight for my husband and I. Had to use regular quinoa .. couldn’t find the red, and because of my last minute shopping, I didn’t have a ripe avocado, so I had to skip that. It was still delicious. Really enjoying your recipes. Thanks!!

Irradiance April 14, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I just made this awesome and it tasted great. It is only for me, so I was wondering can you freeze some and defrost for a later time?? Thanks ; )

Tina October 8, 2013 at 12:28 pm

so glad I found this site! Thank you for all the lovely recipes!!

Anne February 16, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Hi Angela, I have just made this and it’s great. Thanks for this! I added chickpeas instead of black beans.

Anne February 23, 2014 at 6:09 pm

This is my second time making this salad. It’s great. I used parsley instead of corriander and it was still good.

Kris March 5, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Love! Delicious, filling, and pretty.

colleen mickolichek June 16, 2014 at 10:28 am

Thank you. This was quick, and yummy. First time making the red quinoa, I had the one at WFoods. This is so much better. My new salad for summer

Tracy September 18, 2014 at 9:06 am

I made this amazing dish last night with a few of modifications:
1) Dressing, I added a tsp of organic sweetner Blue Agave to add a layer of taste on top of lime juice
2) Salad, I added a roasted sweet potato, cubed

No leftover! This is a clear success!

Rachel Zierzow December 18, 2014 at 2:32 pm

We are excited to try this as well as the vegan caesar recipe as part of our student and alumni social at the end of January at the Natural Epicurean Academy of Culinary Arts. Thanks for the inspiration!

baby-fine hair July 25, 2015 at 9:46 am

Great post. I’m experiencing a few of these issues as well..

James July 26, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Funny this recipe is printed verbatim on the back of the Earthly Choice package of red quinoa.

Regina April 3, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Made this for dinner and it’s so yummy and colorful!!! I’m so excited for leftovers!

Melanie April 19, 2016 at 10:39 am

Oh my word! I have been on a vegan only kick and this recipe made me so happy. Irresistible for sure! Thank you so much for sharing. The thing I miss on a vegan diet is staying power and texture and this quinoa salad had both. Really, a home run. I will definitely make this one again and again. Cheers!

Angela Liddon April 19, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Hi Melanie, it’s great to hear you enjoyed this recipe! It definitely has staying power, that’s for sure. :)

Tara June 5, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Just made this – it’s so good! I was short on cilantro so just added more garlic, green onions, and lime to make up for flavor. Thanks for the great recipe!!

Angela Liddon June 6, 2016 at 8:59 am

So glad the recipe was a hit, Tara! :)

Joan August 22, 2016 at 9:23 am

What are the nutrition facts for this salad?
I LOVE IT!!!

Angela Liddon August 23, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Hi Joan, Unfortunately I haven’t calculated that info myself, but if you head over to an online tool like caloriecount.com or nutritiondata.com and plug in the recipe, you should be able to find out the nutrition facts pretty quickly. Hope this helps!

Sian January 1, 2017 at 6:06 pm

What an exceptional, gorgeous salad! DH is ambivalent when it comes to quinoa, so it’s always a little dicey auditioning a new recipe. I had to omit both the cumin and cilantro because he’s allergic, but added in additional scallions and a pinch of Creole seasoning to boost the flavour. Served with some roasted potatoes on the side, this was a huge hit! I had to promise to add it to the rotation. Thanks so much for posting the recipe!

Angela Liddon January 3, 2017 at 9:50 am

That extra seasoning sounds like a great twist! So glad the recipe was a hit, Sian.

Donna February 8, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I omitted the avocado and after tossing with the delicious sauce I top it off with cubed baked yams. I serve it at room temperature.

Hannah October 9, 2017 at 6:19 pm

I’ve been making this recipe regularly for over five years; I finally figured it was time to say thank you! Thank you for nourishing your readers and sharing your life with us!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 10, 2017 at 8:17 am

Hey Hannah, I’m so honoured that this recipe has been a regular for you for years now! That’s pretty awesome. I’m really happy that you love it so much. I haven’t made it in ages (Eric always complains that I never make my old recipes because I’m always making new things to share, lol), but I really should soon.