Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Good morning!

Those Valentine’s Day recipes are looking delicious so far! Eric is going to have a very hard decision on his hands. I caught him drooling over the recipes this morning and he promptly told me that he might have to pick ‘10 or 30’ recipes, instead of 2.

IMG 9501 thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Yesterday, I had a wonderful speed run. As I mentioned in my Tempo run post, I love intervals.

I used to hate the idea of speed work because I thought it was one long, exhausting sprint the entire workout, but that just isn’t true. Speed work is simply a succession of hard + easy intervals on the treadmill, road, or track, often run in 400 metre/0.25 mile intervals.

They are quick, productive, and are great for those days when you don’t have a lot of time!

Hal Hidgon explains:

1) If you want to run at a fast pace, you need to train at a fast pace several days a week.

2) An interval workout usually consists of fast repeats separated by walking or jogging.

3) Run the 400s at about your pace for 5-K, or 10-K.

Yesterday, my Speed training looked like this:

Jog Interval = 6.0 mph (10 min/mile) for 400 metres/0.25 mile

Speed Interval = 7.5 mph (8 min/mile) for 400 metres/0.25 mile

REPEAT 8 times for a total distance of 4 miles (37 mins). I paused for a water break in between each mile.

I really love the intervals because I get to ‘rest’ every 400 metres, so it really helps me push hard during my speed interval. I’m hoping the Tempo runs and Speed work will help offset the fact that I am training for this half marathon mostly indoors.

And after a tough workout, there is nothing more I love to do than to help my body ‘recover’…wink, wink.

IMG 9488 thumb1   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

IMG 9457 thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Grab that beautiful cup of Red Quinoa and cook it according to package directions.

IMG 9459 thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Red Quinoa is so much more fun than the regular kind!

IMG 9461 thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Chop your vegetables and rinse and drain the black beans…

IMG 9476b thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Assemble the dressing ingredients:

IMG 9462b thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Juice the limes to make 4-5 tablespoons.

IMG 9467 thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Add all dressing ingredients into a bowl.

IMG 9468 thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Whisk away!

IMG 9470 thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

When the quinoa is cooked, add in the chopped vegetables and beans and stir well.

IMG 9479 thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

I just dumped everything into the cooking pot, but I supposed you could transfer it to a bowl if you wanted to!

IMG 9480 thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Pour on the dressing and mix. Serve at room temperature.

IMG 9488 thumb2   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

This salad is irresistible! It is light, fresh, and has a wonderful tangy kick from the lime juice. It also makes a great lunch and has a lot of staying power thanks to the protein-rich black beans and quinoa and healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil.

IMG 9499 thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.

IMG 9520 thumb   Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Here’s to a healthy weekend ahead!

It’s time to have a productive Friday of work to kick off the weekend. Have a good one!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 21, 2011

I was this close to making quinoa and black beans for dinner last night. Do you like red quinoa more than ‘white’? Is there nutritional difference?

Michelle January 21, 2011

I love the way I can print the recepies. Thanks so much. I will be having this tomorrow after my long run outside in the snow! But truth be told I love that part of living in Niagara!!!! Be well.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2011

Have a great run and enjoy the recipe!

Jackie @ Baking Charms January 21, 2011

I definitely prefer red quinoa – so yummy. I love the Trader Joe’s brand!

Tammy Root January 21, 2011

Hi Ange,
This salad is right up my alley! Do you have the nutritional break-down for this recipe?? Thanks so much.
Tammy

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 21, 2011

This sounds lovely Ange!! I am adoring salads and quinoa lately – I think I’ve posted at least 4 salads on my blog this week but I can’t get enough!!! Might just have to make this one too. :)

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 21, 2011

Haha, silly Eric ;)

Uhh I hate intervals, I am more of an endureance runner :p. My boyfriend’s in the army and always pushes me to do intervals with him, which have me near puking at the end. Fun times!

I cooked with red quinoa yesterday too! but I think I like the taste of the regular one better..

x sabine

Laury @thefitnessdish January 21, 2011

Wow, so delicious and beautiful!! I love red quinoa! I am loving fresh salads lately. I need more quinoa in my life. I was on a kick for a while then stopped. It’s so delicious!

Moni'sMeals January 21, 2011

Awesome recipe. I have to admit I have not tried Red Quinoa. This is right up my alley though.
Have a great day and weekend too Angela. :)

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 21, 2011

Haha, silly Eric ;)

Uhh I hate intervals, I am more of an endurance runner :p. My boyfriend’s in the army and always pushes me to do intervals with him, which have me near puking at the end. Fun times!

x sabine

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 21, 2011

Oops sorry for the double post!

Liza Jane January 21, 2011

I do love avocado. It tastes really good on the Wheat Berry Salad too. I added a few pieces to mine for lunch yesterday and it really helped keep me full all afternoon.

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa January 21, 2011

I made this salad the other day – it is amazing! Loving all the leftovers….

Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 21, 2011

I just made a good green quinoa salad last night but I love the dressing you used for this!

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 21, 2011

I eat regular quinoa a lot but have never tried red quinoa. It looks so much prettier! :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 21, 2011

I have those same measuring cups! :D
I love quinoa and I have recently found the red kind! Love it! :D

Gen January 21, 2011

Mmmmmmmmm that quinoa looks delish! I love the flavor that cilantro adds to things!!!! =D

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 21, 2011

I loveeeee red quinoa! Its one of my favorite, and this looks so tasty! Loving the photos!

Andrea B. January 21, 2011

What a fab looking recipe….I just loving using quinoa! Even my meat & potatoes loving hubby loves quinoa – which is awesome because I feel like I’m sneaking in all this healthy goodness he doesn’t even realize he’s getting ;-) Can you substitute something for the cilantro? Neither of us really enjoy it, but I never know what to sub instead.

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 21, 2011

That looks so tasty! Any time lime and avocado are paired, I’m in.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 21, 2011

I love quinoa and beans together. Veggies can stay out of my salad. ;)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats January 21, 2011

These combined so many of my favorite flavors – I will definitely try it soon!

Jess@atasteofconfidence January 21, 2011

Great run! you are speeedy!

Dani @ Body By Nature January 21, 2011

Is there a difference in taste between red quinoa and white quinoa?

Lisa January 21, 2011

Yum, this looks so good! I make something very similar all the time and I too love it after a tough workout! Good idea adding an avocado – I’m definitely going to try that!

Alexandra January 21, 2011

I had a similar 10k pace so I used your tempo run as the base for my workout yesterday and wow it was great! I ended up picking up the pace again on and off for a few min at the end to finish up 6 miles in about 43 min. Knowing that I was only doing each interval for 5 min at a time really helped and made the treadmill so much more pleasant and the miles just seemed to fly by!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 21, 2011

Love the use of lime in this!

Julia (The Veggie Side) January 21, 2011

I love quinoa salads! Your looks so good. I recently started running and can’t wait to run longer distances!

Heather (heathers dish) January 21, 2011

This sounds so southwestern! I love the texture of quinoa and beans together…perfect!

Amber K January 21, 2011

I make a very similar salad and I agree, it’s delicious! In fact, I really want some right now… And red quinoa is just so much prettier than the white kind. I’m going to have to give your version a try!

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy January 21, 2011

Your red quinoa salad looks AMAZING! I have been addicted to quinoa lately… but I have yet to try the red variety!

“Here’s to a healthy weekend ahead!”<— Love it!!

Marcia January 21, 2011

Okay, so here goes:

1. I love red quinoa. LOVE it. And that salad looks awesome. I have made various versions of it before, but I bet the lime juice makes it totally kickin’. I usually use rice vinegar. Definitely going to put this on my menu again soon.

2. I used to LOVE tempo runs. I still love intervals. I couldn’t believe how they helped me increase my running speed. Especially when I started adjusting my speed for distance (so my 400′s were faster than my 800′s, which were faster than my 1600′s, etc.) Of course I’m injured now, so no running for me. I miss it. But I’ve been doing P90X, and it’s a similar thing…small sets of exercises so you can push it hard then get a break.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 21, 2011

GORGEOUS salad. I love how often you use mason jars!

Meesh January 21, 2011

I love salads like this! Perfect to make a big batch on Sunday and bring to work for the rest of the week!

Beach Bum Beauty January 21, 2011

Perfect timing! I’ve got some quinoa at home and wasn’t sure what to do with it and now I do! ;-)

Malorie January 21, 2011

I was thrilled to find I had all these ingredients in my house today. Lunch was amazing! This is like an upgrade to the Black Bean Avocado and Lime salad you posted earlier (which I am also addicted to when it comes down to easy lunches). Quinoa just has the most wonderful taste and textures (chewy and nutty and subtle, yum!) and the red Quinoa just looks so beautiful in any dish.

Thanks for this recipe! It’s definitely helping me get through a pretty rough Friday work day. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2011

I’m glad you enjoyed it Malorie! Yes it does remind me of the Black bean + lime salad from a little while ago- just amped up like you said! I love the flavour combo…just delish!

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 21, 2011

MMM that salad looks phenomenal. Will be adding limes and cilantro to my grocery list!

Jess January 21, 2011

I’ve really been wanting to try the red quinoa, i need to see if I can find it at traders joes or the like so I can try this recipe. Black beans, corn and avocado with lime and cilantro always make such a flavorful combination. I made a salad like that last summer: http://semiweeklyeats.blogspot.com/2009/08/black-bean-and-corn-salad.html
and its vegan!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 21, 2011

This looks like such a good summer salad. I miss summerrr!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 21, 2011

This recipe looks awesome, and I have almost all the ingredients on hand! I will be making this soon!

xo

Charlie January 21, 2011

This salad sounds so yummy! I loooove red quinoa :).

Page 1 of 41234»