Dark Chocolate Pecan Butter

Good morning!

IMG_9330

No one wanted to get out of bed this morning…especially Sketchie! We woke up to quite the snow storm.

IMG_9333

I was feeling a bit congested this morning, so I came down to the kitchen and made myself a delicious Classic Green Monster amped up with a 1/2 cup of frozen organic blueberries (that I saved from the Farmer’s Market in the summer). It was a delicious and energizing way to start the weekend on the right track.

Oh, I also had a bit of Dark Chocolate Pecan Butter in the mix too…

IMG_9019

Toast your pecans for about 9-10 mins at 325F.

IMG_9000

Process the pecans in a food processor for about 5-10 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. The toasted pecans will turn into pecan butter much faster than the almonds do!

This was after about 5 minutes…

IMG_9002

Add in the melted chocolate and coconut oil into the pecan butter…

IMG_9004

And process for another 1-2 minutes. Season with kosher salt to taste.

IMG_9007

You will be left with silky, smooth, buttery, and intensely chocolaty pecan butter. I had to hide this from myself deep in my refrigerator!! Oh my, is this a good nut butter.

IMG_9019-2

Coming up, a delicious Curried Lentil Soup recipe I have made a few times over the past few weeks, but have yet to share…

IMG_9106-2

Also, coming up….I will talk about my Winter 2011 training plan and the homemade Light box we made this week…

IMG_9074

Nerd alert!

IMG_9073

Have a great Saturday!

1 thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 15, 2011

I need that lentil soup recipe! prettyyyy please :D?

your light box is amazing, I saw your pictures on twitter. i was thinking of making one too, but I wonder where you put it in your home? do you let it stand, including the lights, or remove it after every use?

x sabine

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

it’s in our rarely used dining room :) For now anyways!

3 thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 15, 2011

we do have some spare rooms but most are upstairs… and I don’t see myself walking up and down with my food haha ;). my boyfriend would kill me if I take anylonger with the food photoshoots ;). but you do think it is necessary to let the light box and its lamps stay stationary? because I do love the quality of the photos you shared on twitter!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

I do think it would probably be a huge pain to have to move it…it’s big!

5 thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 15, 2011

Yeah that’s what I feared ;). Then I’ll just go look around for a great spot.

One more Q, sorry! I was wondering why you don’t make nut butters in your Vmix? And which series do you use?

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

I don’t have the ‘dry’ container for the VM so I cant make nut butters or I totally would. I have the newest version of the VM.

7 thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 15, 2011

Oooh how silly of me! I have been reading up on Vmixes this evening because I want to purchase one, so I knew there was a seperate container haha. I just forgot. Well your food processor seems to do the job though, mine takes 30+ minutes for almond butter and at least 15 for a smoothie containing lots of frozen fruits. ack!

8 Julia H December 20, 2012

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but was making the choc pecan butter and needed the recipe. I made mine in my Vitamix. I only have the “wet” container. I had emailed someone at Vitamix and they said it was fine. It came out great, and was very quick. Trying to get it all out, however was kind of a pain. I think I will use my food processor next time. (which is tomorrow!) My Father-in-Law brought back a TON of Texas pecans from his trip there recently.

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 15, 2011

That nut butter looks soo good! I’m feeling hopeful about the snow storm that’s suppoed to hit on Monday now since it’s coming to us from you!

10 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 15, 2011

DROOL! I make a salted chocolate pecan butter that is literally like dessert for us. This looks amazing!

11 Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside January 15, 2011

It’s hard to believe it’s so cold where you are. You should move to Southern California- great vegan options everywhere and it’ll be 80 degrees and sunny today! in January!

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

Only if you don’t mind a husband and a cat too!

13 Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside January 15, 2011

If you and your baked goods are involved, SOMETHING can be arranged ;)

14 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 15, 2011

You are on a roll with these choco nut butters! Don’t hate me for saying this, but I’m loving this time of the month and all the creations that come along with it :)

I made a lightbox a couple months ago and it has saved many night time photos. Aren’t those clamp lights fab?

15 Jaya January 15, 2011

I’m super excited for you! A lightbox is like a photo partybox! That butter also looks awesome.

16 Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 15, 2011

These chocolate nut butter recipes just keep getting better and better. I bet dark chocolate walnut butter or dark chocolate macadamia butter would be good too! :-)

17 Trish @I_am_Succeeding January 15, 2011

We have a couple homemade light boxes too…oh and the chocolate pecan butter looks sooo good!

18 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 15, 2011

Holy moly. I love all chocolate nut butters: hazelnut, peanut, and almond, but I’ve yet to try pecan! And I have all of the ingredients except the pecans. Grocery store run! Do you think I can make this in a VitaMix? I don’t have a food processor…

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

Not sure…I don’t have the ‘dry’ VM container so I did not attempt it.

20 Andrea January 15, 2011

Lovely looking nut butter- you’re on a roll with those lately! :)

21 Blog is the New Black January 15, 2011

I want a lightbox so badly!!!

22 Blog is the New Black January 15, 2011

I want a lightbox so badly!!!

23 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA January 15, 2011

Hhahahhhhh you must stop. There’s no way my fridge is deep enough to hide this from myself.

And I want that curry lentil soup recipe please :)

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

Mine isn’t either….shhh

25 ashley@quasichick January 15, 2011

OMG-yummy!

26 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 15, 2011

I have had a half dozen friends make lightboxes and i posted the other day about them…that’s it’s on my To Do List! Love the looks of yours, it looks sooo professional! But then again, all your pics,food,posts…ARE always sooo professional looking! :)

The shot of your room with the duvet and the sunlight…it looks so cozy, and real. Thanks for sharing a glimpse into your life that way.

And of course, this nut butter looks awesome! How ever though would dark choc + nut, NOT be fabulous? haha!

27 Lee January 15, 2011

homemade nut butters are the best!

28 Amanda (Eating Up) January 15, 2011

Curried lentil soup? Gimme please!

29 Kristine @ Busy But Healthy January 15, 2011

Mmmm, that looks amazing! I’ve been glancing at your blog for a little bit. I must say, your pictures are amazing!!! They will rock even more with a light box! I’m finally understanding Google Reader now (pathetic, I know) so I’m now able to manage reading blogs so.much.better! Enjoy your weekend!

30 Namaste Gurl January 15, 2011

Looks mighty delicious and indulgent– I think you’re on with Peanut Butter and Co :-)
Could I use almonds instead of pecans? No pecans on hand currently…..

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

Yup I linked to the first recipe which was dark choco almond butter :)

32 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan January 15, 2011

Pecan butter is the BEST…or maybe what I mean is PECANS are just the best :) Looking forward to the curried lentil soup recipe! I <3 anything curry…and anything lentil, for that matter.

33 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 15, 2011

Dark chocolate pecan butter sounds amazing! I can’t wait to hear all about your light box. I still want to make one :)

34 wendy (healthy girl's kitchen) January 15, 2011

I so need to make a lightbox! There is almost no light here for months on end and my photos look so unhappy! Can’t wait for the curried lentil recipe . . .

35 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 15, 2011

Wow. I don’t have words for how delicious that looks.

Note to self: must make additions to grocery list. :)

36 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) January 15, 2011

AHH major drool action over that pecan butter!

37 Kristen January 15, 2011

So, I just made you chocolate almond butter (with white chocolate chips because I didn’t have enough semi-sweet) and it is AMAZING! I will be making a stop at Trader Joe’s this week to pick up some pecans to make this one! YUM!

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

Glad you like it!!! I’m obsessed…straight from the fridge it is almost like a frosting

39 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl January 15, 2011

Mmm that pecan butter looks delish. Just curious…are there any nuts that’s dont work so well to make into a butter?

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

Good question…Ive only used peanuts, pecans, and almonds I think…I have tried sunflower seeds a couple times and it was a horrible fail. No matter how long I processed i could not get them to turn into butter…just a powder.

41 Katie January 15, 2011

Uh oh….I made a lightbox last week, and you are in for some serious camera fun!

42 Jen G. January 15, 2011

Yummm! Definitely giving this ago — I’m so glad I’m not allergic to pecans :-)

43 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle January 15, 2011

mmmm that darkchocolate pecan butter looks amazing!

44 Lauren at KeepItSweet January 15, 2011

You are inspiring me to make some nut butters! I need to do that asap!!

45 Lauren at KeepItSweet January 15, 2011

By the way, how long do your homemade nut butters usually stay good for?

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

I would imagine as long as regular natural nut butters…which I am not sure of, but they rarely last more than a month or so in this house!

47 cathyb.@brightbakes January 15, 2011

awesome nut butter, once again! thanks for sharing….
love,
cathy b. @ brightbakes
ps. SO jealous about that light box!

48 Alex @ Healing Beauty January 15, 2011

Looks delicious! I’m excited to try my first Green Monster today!

49 Jess@atasteofconfidence January 15, 2011

That nut butter looks AMAZING. I starred it!

50 Camille January 15, 2011

I have been wanting to make a light box! I can’t wait to hear more!

51 Katie January 15, 2011

Hi Angela,

I really enjoy your blog and many ideas to cook vegan free – I have been lactose intolerant for just over a year, so I really appreciate new ideas to get a cheesey taste without the cheese! I was just wondering do you use milk free chocolate in your recipes — and if so where do you get it? I find that most chocolate chips etc.. have milk in them ! Thanks!

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

Thanks Katie!

I buy vegan dark choc chips from Ontario Natural Food Coop (it is their own brand I believe).

53 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 15, 2011

Yay for homemade light boxes!

It’s a good thing I don’t have any chocolate chips in the house because I’d be making this and eating it with a spoon!

54 Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 15, 2011

Mmmm *toasted* nuts for the PB. Yum!!

55 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 15, 2011

Those light boxes are really making the rounds in the blogosphere. Look forward to hearing what you think about them!

56 Katie January 15, 2011

I made a green curry lentil soup I got from another food blogger on my break! SOO good! And I live in the “lentil capital of the world” so I’m excited to try yours out as well!

57 Erin January 15, 2011

YUM! I tried the nut butter, it was even better than I thought it would be, and I was convinced it would be delicious :)

Now I just have to stop slathering it on everything…toast, apple slices, biscuits, sandwiches…ahhh. Thanks for the always awesome recipes.

58 Bronwyn Coyne January 15, 2011

Light boxes seem to be popping up everywhere! I must make one soon. One that can also store easily in my small spaced….

59 Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo January 15, 2011

The pecan butter looks absolutely delicious! I bet it would be great made into some fudge or perhaps pecan butter cookies?

60 Allison @ Food For Healing January 15, 2011

lightboxes are the best, i have one i made as well.

61 Christine (The Raw Project) January 15, 2011

Wow, the Dark Chocolate Pecan Butter looks amazing. I can’t wait to try it, thanks. Light boxes are fun, hubby got me a pop-up tent style one for Christmas that I need to use more. :-)

62 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 15, 2011

I have never tried chocolate nut butter, but I can just imagine how wonderful they must be. Your creation looks amazing!

63 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 15, 2011

Sweeeeeet light box!! Can you do a post telling how you made it, what you bought for it, etc.? I would love to make one!

64 Kris | iheartwellness.com January 15, 2011

Awwww, it wasn’t a nerd alert, it just shows your passion for your food pics! Hehe. I have been asking to have one made for me for a long time ;)

I need this lentil recipe! It looks amazing!

Happy Weekend

xxoo

65 Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 15, 2011

That dark chocolate pecan butter sounds absolutely divine! You are making me want to try making my own nut butters now!

66 meg January 15, 2011

angela,
love your blog. what vitamix model do you recommend? i have been saving to splurge on one. is there a basic model that will cover green monsters, nut butters, soups? thanks!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

I have the most recent VM (not sure the model) and it works great…I cant comment on the others, but I have heard you can’t go wrong with any model…

68 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 15, 2011

Looks divine! :D

69 Cate January 15, 2011

I can hardly wait for that soup recipe. Lentils = love. :P

Great post as usual; your blog makes me cry with covetousness for a good food processor!! :

70 Moni'sMeals January 15, 2011

this looks like your best nut butter yet!

Stay warm!
Your place always looks so cozy.
Great light box.:)

71 Lou January 15, 2011

any good ideas to eat the butter with? :P

72 Hannah January 15, 2011

I’ve found that the nuts higher in oil (I think they are anyway :P) like pecans and macadamias blend to the butter stage a lot mroe quickly and easily than nuts like almonds :) Gosh, these dark chocolate versions of yours are killing me! Just have to get through my three store-bough and one home-made jar of nut butter first… :P

73 carlee January 15, 2011

I’m thinkin white chocolate pecan butter sounds pretty amazing for a non- caffeine girl!

74 Diana @ frontyardfoodie January 15, 2011

Ooooh i love your lightbox! I need to make one really badly.

I made my first almond butter last week and it was AMAZING! I love making nut butters and can’t wait to branch out!

75 Kat January 15, 2011

Oh my gosh not another delicious nut butter! Yum yum yum. I made your chocolate peanut butter today and it was very good!

76 Beach Bum Beauty January 16, 2011

I love all these nut recipes because I’m not a big fan of eating nuts so this is a great way of getting them in my diet without eating them raw. Brilliant!

77 Amy @ Teach, Write, Cook January 16, 2011

I keep coming back to this post and staring at the picture of it dripping off the spoon. I can’t wait to make this later today — if it tastes half as good as it looks, it will be fantastic!

78 Jackie January 16, 2011

That nut butter looks so delicious, I fear I would want to eat it like soup! However, I cannot get over the fact that you do not have curtains on your bedroom window! :D

79 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf January 16, 2011

We have a few very fruitful pecan trees in our backyard, and more pecans that I know what to do with. I’ve been contemplating making a nut butter with ’em for a while! This recipe looks really good!

80 Dutch Voithofer ahealthypassion.com January 17, 2011

This looks great. I will try it.

81 Natalie January 19, 2011

this looks fantastic! do you ever use the vitamix for the nut butters?

82 Hayley May 25, 2012

What food processor do you use. I would freaking love to make my own nut butters but have yet to find a food processor I have any faith in.
Thanks
Hayley

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 26, 2012

I have a Cuisinart 14 cup processor….it’s pretty good for nut butters, although I have an issue with their lid (crumbs get trapped in it)