The Luck Of The Peas

IMG 8492 thumb1   The Luck Of The Peas

Recently, my Grandpa was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma which a a rare form of blood cell cancer that has no cure. Need less to say, it has been a rough few weeks in our family and my Grandpa was also hit hard with a pneumonia and suffered two heart attacks on top of everything else. As of last weekend, the doctor was not sure if he would survive the pneumonia.

After I heard the news about my Grandpa and I spoke with Eric, I went straight into my kitchen and I baked a loaf of Banana Bread to bring to the hospital. Baking comforts me in a way that I can’t really describe; no matter if things are going good or if things are going not so good, baking seems to always provide me with whatever I need at the time. Enjoyment, relaxation, satisfaction, or solace. Baking has taught me that things don’t always work out as we anticipate and sometimes we have to get through the dirty dishes and start again the next day.

I stood there with tears dripping down my face as I measured ingredients with the utmost precision. I chopped some dark chocolate.

IMG 5522 thumb   The Luck Of The Peas

Shortly thereafter, Eric’s head peeked around the door (he must have smelled the chocolate).

‘Need some help?’

We stood in the kitchen and talked about my Grandpa as we baked banana bread.

Eric and I went to visit my Grandpa in the hospital last weekend and it was really difficult to see him so frail, but at the same time, we were really glad to be able to visit him in such positive spirits despite everything going on. He has always been a strong and upbeat person and I was happy to see that still rang true.

IMG 8535 thumb1   The Luck Of The Peas

On Saturday, just after Eric and I had finished eating our Black-Eyed Pea Masala, I received a call. My grandpa was doing so well that they were going to let him leave the hospital as long as his health was stabilized. His blood count was also looking so good they decided to take him off of the antibiotics. This was not only wonderful news, but it was also timely news; my mom just flew in on Friday for a visit and it was a true blessing for her to be able to have such a great visit with her dad during her stay.

So, was it the luck of the Black-eyed peas?

I guess we’ll never know, but one thing is for sure I’m going to keep some in my pantry just in case.

IMG 8490 thumb   The Luck Of The Peas

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) January 10, 2011

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather! I will be thinking about him and your family. I would have done the same thing…baked to sooth my soul. I do believe in the power of the blackeyed pea! Yours look delicious! My prayers are with your family!

FoodFeud January 10, 2011

Angela, that’s rough to have to go through but I’m glad to hear he’s doing so much better. It might be the peas, or maybe your thoughtful good vibes. Hope everything stays well.

Therese January 10, 2011

So glad to hear that your Grandpa had a turn-around! That’s excellent news!

I find baking to be cathartic as well. Perhaps it’s because it gives you a sense of control in situations that are out of control but you know that when you add certain ingredients together they make something specific and tangible.

My thoughts are with you and your family, Angela!

Charis Brown Malloy January 10, 2011

The food looks delicious, as always.
So glad that your gpa is feeling better, and a question for you – have you heard of the movie The Beautiful Truth? You can stream it for free on Netflix, if you have an account. It’s a great documentary about the relationship b/w food and illness – it may have some interesting stuff in there for your gpa. I’ve been recommending it all over the place :)

Katie January 10, 2011

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, but I’m glad to hear he’s doig better. I lost both of my grandfathers within one year a few years back and it is so hard. Baking for me has been my therapy for as long as I can remember. I always bring baked goods to people in times like these.

HUGS!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) January 10, 2011

Peas, prayers or the power of positivity — whatever the case, it’s certainly a blessing.

Ashley January 10, 2011

I’m so sorry to hear about this, Angela. You + your family are in my thoughts. Stay strong lovely. <3

JL goes Vegan January 10, 2011

I’m so sorry. It sounds like you’re surrounding your grandfather with love and family and that you’ll both getting something wonderful from that. Enjoy this time with him, and your mother. Here’s to the black-eyed pea!

Melissa January 10, 2011

I’m so glad to hear your grandfather is doing better!! I’m sending lots of prayers your way:)

Allison @ Food For Healing January 10, 2011

You and your family are in my thoughts. Glad to hear your grandpa is feeling better

Rachel Randolph January 10, 2011

Thanks for sharing such a personal story with us. I have tears in my eyes and will be praying for your Grandpa and the family.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 10, 2011

So, so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I’m glad you did get some good news though. My thoughts are with you and your family.

There IS definitely something about baking that is cathartic. When in doubt, I make cupcakes. :)

Violetta Maria January 10, 2011

I am sooo happy to hear your grandpa is at home and doing well. I know how hard it is to have a grandparent sick and in the hospital because mine spent christmas and new years in there with pneumonia. My thoughts and prayers are with you grandpa!

Violetta Maria January 10, 2011

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 10, 2011

So glad to hear that your grandfather is doing better! All the best wishes to him and your family :)

Lana January 10, 2011

Oh Angela! I’m so happy he’s doing better and you have a good coping mechanism. Keep strong and let the black eyed peas do their thing. Maybe another batch is in order for good measure ;) Your grandpa is in our thoughts!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 10, 2011

I’m very sorry to hear about your grandpa. Glad to hear he is doing better, though. I will say a prayer for continued strength and recovery.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 10, 2011

I am SO glad to hear your grandfather is doing better! I also bake and cook when I’m nervous/anxious/desperate.

Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 10, 2011

oh wow, what good news! it’s hard losing a grandparent. my grandfather sounds really similar to yours – a very strong, happy man. he passed away a couple of years ago, and it was so hard seeing him in the hospital. he still tried to be upbeat, but you could tell he was unhappy. he hated being in a hospital bed and feeling so weak. i’ll keep your family in my prayers.

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life January 10, 2011

I’m sorry to hear about your grandfather, but I’m glad to hear that he is doing better!

This post brought tears to my eyes… Things are starting to go downhill for my grandmother as well (who has also had two heart attacks) so I know how you feel. ::hugs:: Maybe I need to stock up on black eyed peas as well. ;)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 10, 2011

The peas are magic! So glad he’s doing better!! I’ll pray for him :)

rachael (peace, kale, and yoga) January 10, 2011

I’m sorry to hear about your grandfather. All my best to you and your family!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 10, 2011

I’m so glad to hear that your grandpa is doing better!!! I’ll be sending lots of positive energy his (and your) way!!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos January 10, 2011

i have a friend who has multiple myeloma and he blogs about his experiences right now and stories of others in the world. if you want to read about it for some encouragement, here it is: http://mmfordummies.blogspot.com/

praying for your family, Angela.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 10, 2011

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I can’t even imagine how hard that must be. Glad to hear he will be able to leave the hospital soon, though!

Alyson @ Dates & Quinces January 10, 2011

I do the same thing whenever I get bad news. If I’m doing something in the kitchen, it feels like I’m actually doing something to help out, you know?

Roz January 10, 2011

Hi Angela, So sorry to hear about your Grandpa! He sounds like a real fighter!!!! I hope he continues to feel stronger and goes home soon! In the meantime, take care of yourself too!!

Christina January 10, 2011

I’m glad to hear he’s doing better! Sometimes we get the stress relief from the places we once dreaded, the kitchen.

Alycia January 10, 2011

Hi Angela, I have been a reader and fan of yours for a long time, but I have never commented before. I just wanted to reach out to you because I lost my grandfather to multiple myeloma two years ago, and I am SO happy for you that your grandfather is doing so well! With the right care it can be managed and I am overjoyed that it seems like your grandfather has great doctor’s who know what to do, and wonderful family around him for support. My thoughts will definitely be with you and your grandfather!

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside January 10, 2011

I’m so glad to hear he’s doing better… enjoy the time with your mom :)

Nicole January 10, 2011

I was trying to find your email but couldn’t ..
I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather, but excited to hear he is doing better. I felt for you with every word. I just had a scare with my grandmother last week and although she’s still not in the clear, she was able to go home because her blood levels were stable.
You and your grandfather are in my prayers. I’ll be making some of those peas … pea power!! (yes I know I’m a cheeseball…)

Marina January 10, 2011

I know how awful it is, when your loved one is suffering, and you can’t help him. The best way to help him is to help yourself, with baking banana breads and having loads of chocolate. That will make you stronger and more positive, and that kinda attitude is really important for the sick ones!
Look how strong your grandfather is, with all that has struck him, I’m sure he’ll be better soon!

Lizzie January 10, 2011

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, but glad to know he is on the mend – that’s really a huge improvement, considering his initial prognosis. I went to see my grandma before she passed away (overseas trip), so she could meet my husband and it was probably one of the best things I have done in the last 5 years. It really makes you value familial relationships, but also where your came from and how you are connected to the past. I hope that you guys continue to receive good news and how awesome that your mum was able to have a good visit with him.

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 10, 2011

So sorry you have had such a hard time the couple of weeks :( You and your family are in my prayers!

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 10, 2011

Aww, Ange, I think it was partly the peas and part his healthy loving family that he wants to spend some more time with :)

I remember last year my grandpa went through the same thing and I couldn’t bare to see him so helpless on his bed, but once we came in he smiled. The small things are what its about ;)

When you describe your baking and how it calms you in all situations, this is exactly how I feel! I love every minute of it. You are amazing at it, keep up the great work and that big heart of yours.

xxoo

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 10, 2011

oh Angela, my heart goes out to you. You have such a beautiful heart and soul, stay strong ! Saying prayers for you and your family :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 10, 2011

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather but it is wonderful that he is doing better now! I also find it comforting to be in the kitchen, it is terrific self-therapy!

Paige @Running Around Normal January 10, 2011

I am so glad your grandpa is doing so much better! What a tough couple of weeks that must have been.

Jen January 10, 2011

I’ll pray your grandpa continues to have a smooth recovery.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 10, 2011

I’m so glad he is doing OK Ange. My grandpa was in a similar situation and it was very difficult for me to see him so frail since the last time I’d visited he was so much healthier. I’m sure he enjoyed the visitors (and the banana bread!). I hope things keep looking up for him. :)

Page 2 of 4«1234»