The Luck Of The Peas

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 10, 2011

IMG_8492

Recently, my Grandpa was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma which a a rare form of blood cell cancer that has no cure. Need less to say, it has been a rough few weeks in our family and my Grandpa was also hit hard with a pneumonia and suffered two heart attacks on top of everything else. As of last weekend, the doctor was not sure if he would survive the pneumonia.

After I heard the news about my Grandpa and I spoke with Eric, I went straight into my kitchen and I baked a loaf of Banana Bread to bring to the hospital. Baking comforts me in a way that I can’t really describe; no matter if things are going good or if things are going not so good, baking seems to always provide me with whatever I need at the time. Enjoyment, relaxation, satisfaction, or solace. Baking has taught me that things don’t always work out as we anticipate and sometimes we have to get through the dirty dishes and start again the next day.

I stood there with tears dripping down my face as I measured ingredients with the utmost precision. I chopped some dark chocolate.

IMG_5522

Shortly thereafter, Eric’s head peeked around the door (he must have smelled the chocolate).

‘Need some help?’

We stood in the kitchen and talked about my Grandpa as we baked banana bread.

Eric and I went to visit my Grandpa in the hospital last weekend and it was really difficult to see him so frail, but at the same time, we were really glad to be able to visit him in such positive spirits despite everything going on. He has always been a strong and upbeat person and I was happy to see that still rang true.

IMG_8535

On Saturday, just after Eric and I had finished eating our Black-Eyed Pea Masala, I received a call. My grandpa was doing so well that they were going to let him leave the hospital as long as his health was stabilized. His blood count was also looking so good they decided to take him off of the antibiotics. This was not only wonderful news, but it was also timely news; my mom just flew in on Friday for a visit and it was a true blessing for her to be able to have such a great visit with her dad during her stay.

So, was it the luck of the Black-eyed peas?

I guess we’ll never know, but one thing is for sure I’m going to keep some in my pantry just in case.

IMG_8490

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow January 10, 2011 at 10:30 am

Luck of the peas! Definitely the luck of the peas! :)

My thoughts and prayers of health and happy moments are all for your Grandpa right now!

Marijke January 10, 2011 at 10:32 am

Your Grandpa is in my prayers.

How lovely that he is well enough to go home! I hope that his health continues to improve!

Sarah January 10, 2011 at 10:33 am

Oh, Angela.
Thank you for sharing some of the difficult parts of life with your readers. I agree that there is something so therapeutic about chopping, measuring, and mixing.
I’ll pray that your grandfather continues to improve.

Charlotte January 10, 2011 at 10:34 am

Ange,

So sorry to learn of what’s been going on, but glad that you have a strong support system and a (tasty) hobby to help you through this time. Go black-eyed peas!!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 10, 2011 at 10:34 am

It’s always so hard to see someone you love suffering. But it sounds like he was in great spirits, and that is wonderful.

lizashlee January 10, 2011 at 10:36 am

Hi Angela,

I have been reading your blog for several months now. You do an absolutely A-mazing job and I love and appreciate your positive vibe that you spread! Oh, and your recipes are OUTstanding as well!

I am very sorry to hear about your grandpa and happy to know he is doing well! I will keep him and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I also find it beneficial to imagine loved ones in perfect health when I meditate and will practice this as well.

Thank you for always bringing light into your posts. I wish you and yours the very best!

Liz

Bridget January 10, 2011 at 10:38 am

Aww Ange I feel for you :( My grandma had a stroke a few months ago and things were looking grim, but luckily she recovered. It’s a tough thing to deal with…

I wish your grandpa great health and I hope he continues to feel better :)

Tricia January 10, 2011 at 10:38 am

That is wonderful! So glad your Grandpa is doing so well!

MichelleC January 10, 2011 at 10:40 am

I am sorry to hear your Grandpa has multiple myeloma, my aunt was also recently diagnosed with the same cancer. Also great to hear that his current health is improving!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston January 10, 2011 at 10:41 am

Keeping your family in my prayers! And maybe I’ll go buy some black-eyed peas too :)

Rochel January 10, 2011 at 10:42 am

Angela, you are in my thoughts and prayers. We had a similar health scare with my grandma 2 weeks ago so I understand the emotional rollercoaster. You have an amazing support system and an incredible perspective on life. I hope your grandfather has a total recovery and your family is blessed to spend many many more happy years together.

Roberta January 10, 2011 at 10:43 am

Glad that your Grandpa is doing well.

Alaina January 10, 2011 at 10:44 am

I’m glad to hear your grandpa is doing ok!! :-)

Baking is therapeutic for me too.

Beach Bum Beauty January 10, 2011 at 10:45 am

Having spent a whole day reading your blog yesterday, I have learnt that your family mean the whole world to you so sending you lots of good wishes.

I have never heard that black eyed peas are good luck, where does this originate from?

Cathy Breit January 10, 2011 at 10:46 am

you’re in my thoughts and prayers…and yes, baking is very very therapeutic!
love,
cathy b. @ brightbakes

Alex @ Healing Beauty January 10, 2011 at 10:46 am

I’m glad to hear your grandfather is doing better! I will keep him and your family in my thoughts.

Jackie @ Baking Charms January 10, 2011 at 10:48 am

Thank goodness your grandpa is doing better :) He is in my prayers! I am going through something similar with my grandfather and it can be very difficult (and sad) to watch.

Kelly January 10, 2011 at 10:48 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope things keep getting better for you :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 10, 2011 at 10:49 am

So glad that your Grandpa is doing better than expected. Thinking of you and your family! Baking has always been therapy for me.

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan January 10, 2011 at 10:50 am

Keeping your grandpa, you, and your family in my prayers.

Little Bookworm January 10, 2011 at 10:51 am

Your Grandpa is in my thoughts!

Kayla January 10, 2011 at 10:52 am

Oh, Angela, I’m so glad to hear your wonderful news! I was thinking about you this weekend. :) And I have to tell you, I feel the same way about cooking/baking; it’s very soothing for some strange reason.

Be well!

Amy January 10, 2011 at 10:52 am

Keeping you & your family in my thoughts!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 10, 2011 at 10:52 am

Sending you lots of love right now.
We are going through the same thing with my hubby to be’s family. He’s leaving today to go see his nan, as they aren’t sure she’ll make it much longer. Such a sad part of life :(

Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 10, 2011 at 10:53 am

I’m glad to hear he’s doing better! Keep eating those blackeyed peas girl!

schmei January 10, 2011 at 10:54 am

For me, it’s cookies: the repetitive work, the smell of them baking, and – like you illustrated – the tough conversations that can happen at the same time. It’s all a sort of therapy. Creating something sweet makes difficult news a little more manageable.

I’m so glad your grandpa is doing better, and your mom gets to visit with him. I’ll be keeping your family in my thoughts this week.

Abby January 10, 2011 at 10:55 am

Hi Angela,

I don’t often comment but read every day. I just wanted to share with you that my father, who was quite elderly (63 when I was born) lived pretty comfortably with Multiple Myeloma for about 10 years after his diagnosis. It’s definitely scary to hear, but take courage in the fact that it can often be managed!

Abby

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2011 at 11:18 am

Thanks Abby. I’m glad to hear that :)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 10, 2011 at 10:55 am

I’m sorry that your grandfather is sick.

What wonderful news that he’s able to be home now. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 10, 2011 at 10:56 am

I lost my grandpa (Papa) in September so I can definitly relate.

Soak up as much of him as you can :) visit lots! Talk with Eric about it a ton!

Saying prayers for you and your family.

hippierunner January 10, 2011 at 10:56 am

What a sweet story. I am so glad your grandpa got better! Keeping him in my thoughts.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 10, 2011 at 10:58 am

It WAS the luck of the peas! I remember reading about them at the beg of 2010 on your blog and totally forgot to break them out this year. 2012 for sure :). I’m glad your grandpa is doing much better, Ange. My heart goes out to you and your family. Spoil him rotten with your baking, okay?!

[email protected] Enjoying Healthy Foods January 10, 2011 at 10:58 am

Luck of the peas!!! and your banana bread! :)
I am sorry that you and your family are going through this! You and your family will be in my thoughts!

Tania January 10, 2011 at 10:58 am

You’re such a loving person and so tuned in to your family-I think it musta been the love and prayers that went into the banana bread :) Love works miracles and I have seen some myself. Your family and grandpa is in my prayers too!

Estela @ Weekly Bite January 10, 2011 at 10:58 am

So glad your Grandpa is doing better!

I think baking is the best therapy :)

Healthy Chocoholic January 10, 2011 at 10:58 am

How sweet!! I’ll be praying for ya’ll!!!!

Tina January 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

So glad your Grandpa is doing better.

Shanna, like Banana January 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

I like the sound of that “luck of the peas.” I hope that he is comfortable and smiling and knows how much you love him!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete January 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

That is so hard when someone in your family isn’t doing well. I think your hubs is super supportive. That is awesome. Sending good vibes to your fam! ;)

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 10, 2011 at 11:03 am

I am glad your grandpa is doing better, I will pray for him. Take care

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) January 10, 2011 at 11:03 am

so sorry to hear about your grandfather – but i’m so glad that things have taken a more positive turn. my thoughts are with you and your family!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) January 10, 2011 at 11:03 am

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather! I will be thinking about him and your family. I would have done the same thing…baked to sooth my soul. I do believe in the power of the blackeyed pea! Yours look delicious! My prayers are with your family!

FoodFeud January 10, 2011 at 11:04 am

Angela, that’s rough to have to go through but I’m glad to hear he’s doing so much better. It might be the peas, or maybe your thoughtful good vibes. Hope everything stays well.

Therese January 10, 2011 at 11:07 am

So glad to hear that your Grandpa had a turn-around! That’s excellent news!

I find baking to be cathartic as well. Perhaps it’s because it gives you a sense of control in situations that are out of control but you know that when you add certain ingredients together they make something specific and tangible.

My thoughts are with you and your family, Angela!

Charis Brown Malloy January 10, 2011 at 11:07 am

The food looks delicious, as always.
So glad that your gpa is feeling better, and a question for you – have you heard of the movie The Beautiful Truth? You can stream it for free on Netflix, if you have an account. It’s a great documentary about the relationship b/w food and illness – it may have some interesting stuff in there for your gpa. I’ve been recommending it all over the place :)

Katie January 10, 2011 at 11:07 am

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, but I’m glad to hear he’s doig better. I lost both of my grandfathers within one year a few years back and it is so hard. Baking for me has been my therapy for as long as I can remember. I always bring baked goods to people in times like these.

HUGS!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) January 10, 2011 at 11:08 am

Peas, prayers or the power of positivity — whatever the case, it’s certainly a blessing.

Ashley January 10, 2011 at 11:12 am

I’m so sorry to hear about this, Angela. You + your family are in my thoughts. Stay strong lovely. <3

JL goes Vegan January 10, 2011 at 11:13 am

I’m so sorry. It sounds like you’re surrounding your grandfather with love and family and that you’ll both getting something wonderful from that. Enjoy this time with him, and your mother. Here’s to the black-eyed pea!

Melissa January 10, 2011 at 11:14 am

I’m so glad to hear your grandfather is doing better!! I’m sending lots of prayers your way:)

Allison @ Food For Healing January 10, 2011 at 11:15 am

You and your family are in my thoughts. Glad to hear your grandpa is feeling better

Rachel Randolph January 10, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thanks for sharing such a personal story with us. I have tears in my eyes and will be praying for your Grandpa and the family.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 10, 2011 at 11:20 am

So, so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I’m glad you did get some good news though. My thoughts are with you and your family.

There IS definitely something about baking that is cathartic. When in doubt, I make cupcakes. :)

Violetta Maria January 10, 2011 at 11:20 am

I am sooo happy to hear your grandpa is at home and doing well. I know how hard it is to have a grandparent sick and in the hospital because mine spent christmas and new years in there with pneumonia. My thoughts and prayers are with you grandpa!

Violetta Maria January 10, 2011 at 11:20 am

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 10, 2011 at 11:25 am

So glad to hear that your grandfather is doing better! All the best wishes to him and your family :)

Lana January 10, 2011 at 11:26 am

Oh Angela! I’m so happy he’s doing better and you have a good coping mechanism. Keep strong and let the black eyed peas do their thing. Maybe another batch is in order for good measure ;) Your grandpa is in our thoughts!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 10, 2011 at 11:27 am

I’m very sorry to hear about your grandpa. Glad to hear he is doing better, though. I will say a prayer for continued strength and recovery.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 10, 2011 at 11:33 am

I am SO glad to hear your grandfather is doing better! I also bake and cook when I’m nervous/anxious/desperate.

Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 10, 2011 at 11:34 am

oh wow, what good news! it’s hard losing a grandparent. my grandfather sounds really similar to yours – a very strong, happy man. he passed away a couple of years ago, and it was so hard seeing him in the hospital. he still tried to be upbeat, but you could tell he was unhappy. he hated being in a hospital bed and feeling so weak. i’ll keep your family in my prayers.

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life January 10, 2011 at 11:37 am

I’m sorry to hear about your grandfather, but I’m glad to hear that he is doing better!

This post brought tears to my eyes… Things are starting to go downhill for my grandmother as well (who has also had two heart attacks) so I know how you feel. ::hugs:: Maybe I need to stock up on black eyed peas as well. ;)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 10, 2011 at 11:40 am

The peas are magic! So glad he’s doing better!! I’ll pray for him :)

rachael (peace, kale, and yoga) January 10, 2011 at 11:41 am

I’m sorry to hear about your grandfather. All my best to you and your family!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 10, 2011 at 11:42 am

I’m so glad to hear that your grandpa is doing better!!! I’ll be sending lots of positive energy his (and your) way!!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos January 10, 2011 at 11:43 am

i have a friend who has multiple myeloma and he blogs about his experiences right now and stories of others in the world. if you want to read about it for some encouragement, here it is: http://mmfordummies.blogspot.com/

praying for your family, Angela.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 10, 2011 at 11:45 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I can’t even imagine how hard that must be. Glad to hear he will be able to leave the hospital soon, though!

Alyson @ Dates & Quinces January 10, 2011 at 11:49 am

I do the same thing whenever I get bad news. If I’m doing something in the kitchen, it feels like I’m actually doing something to help out, you know?

Roz January 10, 2011 at 11:49 am

Hi Angela, So sorry to hear about your Grandpa! He sounds like a real fighter!!!! I hope he continues to feel stronger and goes home soon! In the meantime, take care of yourself too!!

Christina January 10, 2011 at 11:50 am

I’m glad to hear he’s doing better! Sometimes we get the stress relief from the places we once dreaded, the kitchen.

Alycia January 10, 2011 at 11:50 am

Hi Angela, I have been a reader and fan of yours for a long time, but I have never commented before. I just wanted to reach out to you because I lost my grandfather to multiple myeloma two years ago, and I am SO happy for you that your grandfather is doing so well! With the right care it can be managed and I am overjoyed that it seems like your grandfather has great doctor’s who know what to do, and wonderful family around him for support. My thoughts will definitely be with you and your grandfather!

[email protected] Stepping to the Brightside January 10, 2011 at 11:52 am

I’m so glad to hear he’s doing better… enjoy the time with your mom :)

Nicole January 10, 2011 at 11:52 am

I was trying to find your email but couldn’t ..
I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather, but excited to hear he is doing better. I felt for you with every word. I just had a scare with my grandmother last week and although she’s still not in the clear, she was able to go home because her blood levels were stable.
You and your grandfather are in my prayers. I’ll be making some of those peas … pea power!! (yes I know I’m a cheeseball…)

Marina January 10, 2011 at 11:56 am

I know how awful it is, when your loved one is suffering, and you can’t help him. The best way to help him is to help yourself, with baking banana breads and having loads of chocolate. That will make you stronger and more positive, and that kinda attitude is really important for the sick ones!
Look how strong your grandfather is, with all that has struck him, I’m sure he’ll be better soon!

Lizzie January 10, 2011 at 11:57 am

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, but glad to know he is on the mend – that’s really a huge improvement, considering his initial prognosis. I went to see my grandma before she passed away (overseas trip), so she could meet my husband and it was probably one of the best things I have done in the last 5 years. It really makes you value familial relationships, but also where your came from and how you are connected to the past. I hope that you guys continue to receive good news and how awesome that your mum was able to have a good visit with him.

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 10, 2011 at 12:02 pm

So sorry you have had such a hard time the couple of weeks :( You and your family are in my prayers!

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Aww, Ange, I think it was partly the peas and part his healthy loving family that he wants to spend some more time with :)

I remember last year my grandpa went through the same thing and I couldn’t bare to see him so helpless on his bed, but once we came in he smiled. The small things are what its about ;)

When you describe your baking and how it calms you in all situations, this is exactly how I feel! I love every minute of it. You are amazing at it, keep up the great work and that big heart of yours.

xxoo

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm

oh Angela, my heart goes out to you. You have such a beautiful heart and soul, stay strong ! Saying prayers for you and your family :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 10, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather but it is wonderful that he is doing better now! I also find it comforting to be in the kitchen, it is terrific self-therapy!

Paige @Running Around Normal January 10, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I am so glad your grandpa is doing so much better! What a tough couple of weeks that must have been.

Jen January 10, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I’ll pray your grandpa continues to have a smooth recovery.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 10, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I’m so glad he is doing OK Ange. My grandpa was in a similar situation and it was very difficult for me to see him so frail since the last time I’d visited he was so much healthier. I’m sure he enjoyed the visitors (and the banana bread!). I hope things keep looking up for him. :)

Jessica Engel January 10, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I’m so happy for you and your family! Watching someone that you love so much in pain is, in my opinion, the absolutely hardest thing to go through. Happy Monday!

Krystina (Basil & Wine) January 10, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I’m so glad your grandfather is doing well. Sending positive and happy thoughts and wishes your way. :)

Bronwyn Coyne January 10, 2011 at 12:36 pm

So sorry to hear that. Wishing you and your family all the best in the difficult time.

JenATX January 10, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Oh, I can just see you baking while crying too.. that just made my heart feel for you! I am very happy to hear your Grandfather is doing better & that you have a great family there for you too

Rachel January 10, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Oh Angela, so sorry about your Grandpa. I know I can relate to how hard it is. Hang in there: your smile and positive spirit will be comforting to everyone around you, and if you’re not feeling positive you can just fake it till you make it. Keep in mind that you’ve been a huge inspiration to me and to so many other readers.

[email protected]eofconfidence January 10, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Glad to hear he is doing better. My thoughts are with you!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 10, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I am so glad your grandpa is doing so much better. It was definitely the peas.

Katy January 10, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Ange,

I’m so sorry about your grandpa. I had a similar experience — my grandmother was dying of cancer just before Thanksgiving, and I thought I was OK. I brewed a pot of tea and the smell of the Earl Grey triggered an avalanche of emotions and I just stood over the stove weeping. in the end, it was an incredible release and a (bizarre) tribute to her.

I’m glad you are sharing your honest feelings and I hope Eric gives you as big a hug as Lucas gave me.

P.S. Speaking of Lucas, he wants to kidnap Sketchie.

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 10, 2011 at 1:06 pm

So sorry to hear about his sickness, but so happy to hear that he is doing better! Lots of love!

Heather January 10, 2011 at 1:07 pm

So sorry to hear of your Grandpa’s illness Angela. I hope his health continues to improve. It is hard to go through an illness like that with a loved one. I lost my Mom about 4 years ago to ALS and spent a year off work spending time & helping to care for her. She was my best friend and it is to date the hardest thing I have done. I know I was there to support my Mom and you will be there for your Grandpa and that will mean the world to him.

Hang in there.

Amanda January 10, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I’m glad your grandpa is feeling better I will keep you and your family in my thoughts

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 10, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Angela, I am sooo very, very sorry for this news. You, your family, and grandpa are in my prayers. I am sending light, love, and healing vibes to you all!

If the peas brought you some luck in a time like this, TAKE IT! Anything that can help at a time like this is like manna from heaven :)

With much love and empathy,
averie
xo

Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 10, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Give your Grandpa a giant kiss from me! I miss my grandpa . . . you are a lucky girl! I wish you and Grandpa all good things.

Meaghan @ OhReillyWrites January 10, 2011 at 1:25 pm

My thoughts are with you and your family during this tough time. You bring such light, creativity and laughter to eating healthy/vegan and your blog has truly inspired me and countless other people — if anyone deserved to have a little good luck, it’s definitely you! My thoughts are with you and your family.

Amy @ Teach, Write, Cook January 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm

My thoughts are with you and your family. I am so glad to hear your grandpa is doing well! I am also someone who finds a lot of comfort in baking when I’m upset, and I really believe in the power of gifts of foods made with love!

Jeanne January 10, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Angela,
So happy to hear that your Grandpa is doing better. May he continue to improve and may the luck of the peas follow you and your family all year long!

Amber K January 10, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Your whole family is in my prayers during this rough time. So glad to hear that he was able to go home!

Sara January 10, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Oh, Angela, so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I am wishing the best for him & your family!

Liza Jane January 10, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Sorry to hear that the last few weeks have been so tough, but I’m glad that things are looking up for you! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you all.

Kristen January 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm

That’s wonderful news Angela! So glad to hear he is doing well! I will keep him in my prayers regardless!

erica January 10, 2011 at 1:58 pm

sorry to hear about your grandpa. i’m glad things are improving!
sending him lots of positive vibes and prayers!

Cindy Robinson January 10, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Maybe it was the Banana Bread you brought your Grandpa! So glad he’s feeling better!

Sonia January 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I’m glad to hear your grandfather is doing better. I’ll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

When my aunt passed away from ovarian cancer, I spent the entire week in the kitchen, cooking and baking. It gave me a sense of control, a way to distract myself. I cried a lot and am still tearing up, but all the food I made was out of love for my aunt, and given to my family. It’s a way of starting to heal too, I guess. Cook and bake with happiness and love from the memories and spread the love to the family.

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 10, 2011 at 2:09 pm

oh angela, i am SO glad he’s doing better! this brought tears to my eyes after losing my Papa this past october. he meant so much to me, as i’m sure your grandfather means to you, and it hurts every day that he’s gone. i’m so glad you have the chance to spend more time with him!

[email protected] Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries January 10, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I totally agree, there is something very serene about baking and cooking in general. So glad to hear your grandpa is doing better! :)

Nour A January 10, 2011 at 2:43 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and Grandpa. Hopefully his health continues to improve.

I just want to take a moment on comment on your sincerity and wonderfully positive outlook on life. You’re such an inspiration.

Much love <3 Keep smiling!

April January 10, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I am so glad that your Grandpa made such a great recovery! I’ll keep him in my thoughts :)

CathyK January 10, 2011 at 2:55 pm

angela, so sorry to hear about your grandfather’s diagnosis, but so glad to hear he has improved and that you could visit.
take care, and sending you and your family very best wishes.

Corey @ the runner's cookie January 10, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Sending my warmest wishes your way for your grandfather – such a beautiful, well-written post Angela.

Cassie January 10, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Angela,

My grandmother has been fighting multiple myeloma for the past few years, and I am very sorry to hear about your grandfathers diagnosis. Focusing on my own health has been a great personal support for me. She was on my mind the entire time I ran my last half-marathon, and will be for the next.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm

We’re sending you and your family our warmest thoughts. I’m glad your mom had a chance to see your Grandpa, and that he’s able to relax at home. I went through a similar experience and found it difficult to see my Grandma sitting in the hospital. It’s much nicer to see them at home, around the people and things that they love.

I hope all goes well in the coming weeks and wish you and your family the best of health!

And… keep feeding the man those peas!

Sara January 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Angela,

I read you every day, without fail, and over the last 6 months you have become a vital part of my life. Just like everyone else, I’ve grown to love and care for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family at this time.

Baking provides me with the same things you find: solace, warmth, comfort, love, and many life lessons. My next kitchen endeavour is for you, and you alone.

Lynne January 10, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Thinking of you and your family, and sending very best wishes.

Freya January 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Oh gosh, so so sorry to hear about your Grandpa, but I’m glad he’s doing better. It was the peas and the baking, for sure :)

Julia January 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt post. Watching loved ones fall ill is (I think) just about the hardest part of life. Warm wishes to you and your family :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes January 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I’m glad your granpa is ok and doing well.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm

oh sweetie – my thoughts and with you and your family xx

Camille January 10, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your Grandpa, Angela.
All my love and well wishes to you and your family.

[email protected] January 10, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Thinking of you and your family

Elli @ 16 and Losing It January 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I hope your grandpa only continues to get better! That was such a beautiful and heartfelt post. Thanks for sharing such a personal story :)

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie January 10, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I am happy your grandpa feels better and I am so sorry to hear about his health problems. It is so hard when people you love get sick – I think even harder than when it’s you – my thoughts are with you!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm

This is so sweet! I’m so sorry to hear about your grandfather but also so glad to hear he is doing well! I will keep you and you family in my thoughts :)

xo

Christine (The Raw Project) January 10, 2011 at 4:23 pm

So glad your grandpa is doing better. Thoughts and prayers are with you!

Jamie @ Food in Real Life January 10, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I’m so happy your grandfather is doing better. I had tears in my eyes reading your post,I know how hard this is. My thoughts are with you and your family.

natasha January 10, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Sending you love and best wishes xxx

katalina January 10, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Your Grandpa is in my prayers. I have a very special relationship with mine, so I am totally with your family with my heart and I will pray for all of you, maybe I will even cook some black eyed peas for all of us to have more luck!! Wish him well, even if I dont know him, hooe you will say that I said : “HI” :) and “Be strong!! ”

Hugs!

¡Yo Soy Liz! January 10, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandpa’s illness but it’s great that he is improving. I”m sending good vibes your way.

Ellie January 10, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Hi Angela~thanks for sharing such a tough news with us~and I’m so thankful to see that it’s gotten better! I will be praying for you and your family and your gramps. Someone out there is listening. :)

Andrea January 10, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Thank you for sharing this. Very sad news but what amazing timing with the good- I hope your grandpa continues to improve. I entirely agree with baking being calming, I always bake when I’m upset and/or sad and just really don’t know what else to do- and it always helps :)

Candice @ChiaSeedMe January 10, 2011 at 5:40 pm

So sorry to hear about your grandpa, Angela. But so happy to hear that he is already doing better! I can totally identify with the solace you find in baking, except I find it in photography. I’m not even very good at it, but something about snapping away really settles my emotions during hard times. Such a blessing to have something like that, and I’m glad that baking was able to bring you comfort during this time.

[email protected] January 10, 2011 at 5:48 pm

mmmm that looks bomnb!

mary (what's cookin' with mary) January 10, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Your Grandpa will be in my prayers. Glad to hear that he was able to leave the hospital!!

Christena January 10, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Thinking about your sweet grandfather!

Lisa January 10, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I’m so glad your grandpa is better. Sending prayers your way. I agree cooking is cheap therapy, huh?!

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 10, 2011 at 6:07 pm

My thoughts are with your family Angela – I hope everything is OK.
xx

Pam landy January 10, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers!

bitt of raw January 10, 2011 at 6:16 pm

So sorry to hear of your Grandpa’s ill health. My grandfather was so special to me and it meant so much to be with him towards the end. Savor the moments you do have with him.

Love to you and your family.

Christine January 10, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Sorry to hear about your grandfather and his diagnosis. If you need support or information about Multiple Myeloma the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (lls.org) is a great source of information. I work in an oncology/bone marrow transplant unit so I see patients with this disease on a daily basis. Best of luck to all!

[email protected] January 10, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Best wishes for your Grandpa- I know that stuff can be tough to deal with :-(

Lauren January 10, 2011 at 6:47 pm

My best wishes for your grandpa. My dog has this too.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 10, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Oh no Ange, I’m so sorry to hear about your Grandpa! I can’t even imagine what you must be going through right now. I’ll keep him and your family in my thoughts.

Priyanka January 10, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Call it peas or the power of prayers, I am really glad that your grandpa is doing well now! I hope he only gets more and more strength now!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 10, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Thoughts and prayers to your Grandpa, Angela.

Leah @ Why Deprive? January 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Im sorry to hear about your Grandpa, but what great news it is that he’s doing better. I hope he continues to get better and stronger. When my Grandpa was sick, it was so hard to see that big strong man so weak. Its a really difficult situation. Your family will be in my thoughts.

Audrey January 10, 2011 at 7:41 pm

My prayers are with you, your grandpa, and your family.

amanda January 10, 2011 at 7:44 pm

That’s great news! He’s a lucky guy! I guess you’ll be eating those peas a bit more often eh? ; )

courtney January 10, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I’m glad to hear your grandfather was able to go home. You all will be in my thoughts!!!

Sana January 10, 2011 at 8:49 pm

You have an amazing family :)

Kristy January 10, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I’m keeping you in prayers..
Keep up the spirit, he’ll be just fine..

Heather C January 10, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Many, many prayers for your grandpa and your entire family!

Pure2raw Twins January 10, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Sorry to be so late in saying something dear Angela. I know how hard it is to see a loved one especially a grandparent suffer. But I am so happy to hear that he is doing much better :) That is great news. We have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Wishing all the best!!! xoxo
The Pure2raw Twins

Hannah January 10, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I’m so happy for you and your family, Angela. My own 90-year-old grandpa has just recently survived two bouts of cancer in one year, and my 96-y-o grandmother has bounced back from falling and puncturing her lung and cracking ribs. It’s horrible to go through, but so wonderful when they recover as we all hope :)

Cara Craves... January 11, 2011 at 12:02 am

Blessings to you and your family Angela!
Sounds like your grandpa is a fighter!

Lindsay R. January 11, 2011 at 12:07 am

I will be saying lots of prayers for you and your family!

Becca January 11, 2011 at 10:22 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your Grandpa, but hopefully this improvement will last a long time and give you many more happy years with him :) I lost my Grandma this past weekend very suddenly, but she lived a long 96 years of wonderful life full of family, friends, and love.

My family has carried on the tradition of eating black eyed peas and stewed tomatoes every year on New Years day to bring good luck in the upcoming year. Funny how those weird superstitions become tradition :)

Joy January 12, 2011 at 6:32 am

Ohhh! You and your family will be in my prayers!!!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble January 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Hope your grandpa is doing better!!! xoxo

Black-eyed peas masala look ummmm-mazing!

Jessica Loudis January 13, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. My grandmother was also recently diagnosed with multiple myeloma, so my family feels your pain. I pray that God heals them both!

Nicole January 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I know that this is late- but I wanted to say that 5 years ago, my grandfather got acute leukemia, pneumonia, shingles, temporal arteritis, a necrotic infection and several other things all at the same time. It was a really, really tough 3 years ( 1 year chemo, 2 years recovery plus pneumonia), but he made it through. They are statistics, and I know it seems like someone that age hardly has a fighting chance, but I swear to God, if they want to live, that is more important than anything.