The Luck Of The Peas

IMG 8492 thumb1   The Luck Of The Peas

Recently, my Grandpa was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma which a a rare form of blood cell cancer that has no cure. Need less to say, it has been a rough few weeks in our family and my Grandpa was also hit hard with a pneumonia and suffered two heart attacks on top of everything else. As of last weekend, the doctor was not sure if he would survive the pneumonia.

After I heard the news about my Grandpa and I spoke with Eric, I went straight into my kitchen and I baked a loaf of Banana Bread to bring to the hospital. Baking comforts me in a way that I can’t really describe; no matter if things are going good or if things are going not so good, baking seems to always provide me with whatever I need at the time. Enjoyment, relaxation, satisfaction, or solace. Baking has taught me that things don’t always work out as we anticipate and sometimes we have to get through the dirty dishes and start again the next day.

I stood there with tears dripping down my face as I measured ingredients with the utmost precision. I chopped some dark chocolate.

IMG 5522 thumb   The Luck Of The Peas

Shortly thereafter, Eric’s head peeked around the door (he must have smelled the chocolate).

‘Need some help?’

We stood in the kitchen and talked about my Grandpa as we baked banana bread.

Eric and I went to visit my Grandpa in the hospital last weekend and it was really difficult to see him so frail, but at the same time, we were really glad to be able to visit him in such positive spirits despite everything going on. He has always been a strong and upbeat person and I was happy to see that still rang true.

IMG 8535 thumb1   The Luck Of The Peas

On Saturday, just after Eric and I had finished eating our Black-Eyed Pea Masala, I received a call. My grandpa was doing so well that they were going to let him leave the hospital as long as his health was stabilized. His blood count was also looking so good they decided to take him off of the antibiotics. This was not only wonderful news, but it was also timely news; my mom just flew in on Friday for a visit and it was a true blessing for her to be able to have such a great visit with her dad during her stay.

So, was it the luck of the Black-eyed peas?

I guess we’ll never know, but one thing is for sure I’m going to keep some in my pantry just in case.

IMG 8490 thumb   The Luck Of The Peas

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow January 10, 2011

Luck of the peas! Definitely the luck of the peas! :)

My thoughts and prayers of health and happy moments are all for your Grandpa right now!

Marijke January 10, 2011

Your Grandpa is in my prayers.

How lovely that he is well enough to go home! I hope that his health continues to improve!

Sarah January 10, 2011

Oh, Angela.
Thank you for sharing some of the difficult parts of life with your readers. I agree that there is something so therapeutic about chopping, measuring, and mixing.
I’ll pray that your grandfather continues to improve.

Charlotte January 10, 2011

Ange,

So sorry to learn of what’s been going on, but glad that you have a strong support system and a (tasty) hobby to help you through this time. Go black-eyed peas!!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 10, 2011

It’s always so hard to see someone you love suffering. But it sounds like he was in great spirits, and that is wonderful.

lizashlee January 10, 2011

Hi Angela,

I have been reading your blog for several months now. You do an absolutely A-mazing job and I love and appreciate your positive vibe that you spread! Oh, and your recipes are OUTstanding as well!

I am very sorry to hear about your grandpa and happy to know he is doing well! I will keep him and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I also find it beneficial to imagine loved ones in perfect health when I meditate and will practice this as well.

Thank you for always bringing light into your posts. I wish you and yours the very best!

Liz

Bridget January 10, 2011

Aww Ange I feel for you :( My grandma had a stroke a few months ago and things were looking grim, but luckily she recovered. It’s a tough thing to deal with…

I wish your grandpa great health and I hope he continues to feel better :)

Tricia January 10, 2011

That is wonderful! So glad your Grandpa is doing so well!

MichelleC January 10, 2011

I am sorry to hear your Grandpa has multiple myeloma, my aunt was also recently diagnosed with the same cancer. Also great to hear that his current health is improving!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston January 10, 2011

Keeping your family in my prayers! And maybe I’ll go buy some black-eyed peas too :)

Rochel January 10, 2011

Angela, you are in my thoughts and prayers. We had a similar health scare with my grandma 2 weeks ago so I understand the emotional rollercoaster. You have an amazing support system and an incredible perspective on life. I hope your grandfather has a total recovery and your family is blessed to spend many many more happy years together.

Roberta January 10, 2011

Glad that your Grandpa is doing well.

Alaina January 10, 2011

I’m glad to hear your grandpa is doing ok!! :-)

Baking is therapeutic for me too.

Beach Bum Beauty January 10, 2011

Having spent a whole day reading your blog yesterday, I have learnt that your family mean the whole world to you so sending you lots of good wishes.

I have never heard that black eyed peas are good luck, where does this originate from?

Cathy Breit January 10, 2011

you’re in my thoughts and prayers…and yes, baking is very very therapeutic!
love,
cathy b. @ brightbakes

Alex @ Healing Beauty January 10, 2011

I’m glad to hear your grandfather is doing better! I will keep him and your family in my thoughts.

Jackie @ Baking Charms January 10, 2011

Thank goodness your grandpa is doing better :) He is in my prayers! I am going through something similar with my grandfather and it can be very difficult (and sad) to watch.

Kelly January 10, 2011

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope things keep getting better for you :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 10, 2011

So glad that your Grandpa is doing better than expected. Thinking of you and your family! Baking has always been therapy for me.

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan January 10, 2011

Keeping your grandpa, you, and your family in my prayers.

Little Bookworm January 10, 2011

Your Grandpa is in my thoughts!

Kayla January 10, 2011

Oh, Angela, I’m so glad to hear your wonderful news! I was thinking about you this weekend. :) And I have to tell you, I feel the same way about cooking/baking; it’s very soothing for some strange reason.

Be well!

Amy January 10, 2011

Keeping you & your family in my thoughts!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 10, 2011

Sending you lots of love right now.
We are going through the same thing with my hubby to be’s family. He’s leaving today to go see his nan, as they aren’t sure she’ll make it much longer. Such a sad part of life :(

Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 10, 2011

I’m glad to hear he’s doing better! Keep eating those blackeyed peas girl!

schmei January 10, 2011

For me, it’s cookies: the repetitive work, the smell of them baking, and – like you illustrated – the tough conversations that can happen at the same time. It’s all a sort of therapy. Creating something sweet makes difficult news a little more manageable.

I’m so glad your grandpa is doing better, and your mom gets to visit with him. I’ll be keeping your family in my thoughts this week.

Abby January 10, 2011

Hi Angela,

I don’t often comment but read every day. I just wanted to share with you that my father, who was quite elderly (63 when I was born) lived pretty comfortably with Multiple Myeloma for about 10 years after his diagnosis. It’s definitely scary to hear, but take courage in the fact that it can often be managed!

Abby

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2011

Thanks Abby. I’m glad to hear that :)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 10, 2011

I’m sorry that your grandfather is sick.

What wonderful news that he’s able to be home now. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 10, 2011

I lost my grandpa (Papa) in September so I can definitly relate.

Soak up as much of him as you can :) visit lots! Talk with Eric about it a ton!

Saying prayers for you and your family.

hippierunner January 10, 2011

What a sweet story. I am so glad your grandpa got better! Keeping him in my thoughts.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 10, 2011

It WAS the luck of the peas! I remember reading about them at the beg of 2010 on your blog and totally forgot to break them out this year. 2012 for sure :). I’m glad your grandpa is doing much better, Ange. My heart goes out to you and your family. Spoil him rotten with your baking, okay?!

Lindsey@ Enjoying Healthy Foods January 10, 2011

Luck of the peas!!! and your banana bread! :)
I am sorry that you and your family are going through this! You and your family will be in my thoughts!

Tania January 10, 2011

You’re such a loving person and so tuned in to your family-I think it musta been the love and prayers that went into the banana bread :) Love works miracles and I have seen some myself. Your family and grandpa is in my prayers too!

Estela @ Weekly Bite January 10, 2011

So glad your Grandpa is doing better!

I think baking is the best therapy :)

Healthy Chocoholic January 10, 2011

How sweet!! I’ll be praying for ya’ll!!!!

Tina January 10, 2011

So glad your Grandpa is doing better.

Shanna, like Banana January 10, 2011

I like the sound of that “luck of the peas.” I hope that he is comfortable and smiling and knows how much you love him!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete January 10, 2011

That is so hard when someone in your family isn’t doing well. I think your hubs is super supportive. That is awesome. Sending good vibes to your fam! ;)

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 10, 2011

I am glad your grandpa is doing better, I will pray for him. Take care

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) January 10, 2011

so sorry to hear about your grandfather – but i’m so glad that things have taken a more positive turn. my thoughts are with you and your family!

Page 1 of 41234»