Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

IMG 8478 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Happy Friday to you!

I just wanted to let you guys know that my spam checker is marking some comments randomly as ‘spam’ and I am not sure what is going on. I have approved several spam comments from the past few days and I will keep a close eye on it. I’m sorry if that was happening to you and you didn’t know why! I will monitor the situation and report to the computer authorities if necessary (aka Eric).

Today, we talk homemade graham crackers. For the second time.

I’ve been quite smitten with homemade graham crackers ever since I fell in love with them back in December after adapting a recipe from Ashley.

Last week, I was feeling frisky and I made a PB + J graham cracker sandwich using two homemade graham crackers, raspberry jam, and peanut butter.

I think this photo speaks for itself…

IMG 8480 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

I just loved how the peanut butter, jam, and graham flavours all went together and I was instantly hooked!

And then I started to imagine how delicious a peanut butter graham cracker would be….

IMG 8409 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Three trials later, I am happy to share my favourite version with you.

IMG 8436 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

IMG 8391 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

These graham crackers are quite fun to make. First you mix the modified flax egg and then set aside.

Now, grab those dry ingredients…

IMG 8395 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

IMG 8396 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Whisk together.

IMG 8398 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Assemble the wet ingredients and the gelled up flax egg.

IMG 8404 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Add to a bowl.

IMG 8412 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Whisk.

IMG 8418 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Add wet to dry..

IMG 8423 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

It will be very thick and you will have to get in there with your hands to mix in the ingredients fully.

IMG 8424 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Squeeze the dough in your hands until most of the flour is mixed in.

IMG 8426 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Form a ball.

IMG 8427 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Break the ball in half and then roll out on a floured surface. I used my new Silpat mat that I got at Christmas and it was a great non-stick surface for rolling dough!

IMG 8432 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

The only thing I do not like about the dough is that it cracks a bit (this was true for all trials that I did), so try not to roll it too thin or it will fall apart.

Use cookie cutters if preferred.

IMG 8438 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

IMG 8439 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

You can even make cute little hearts for Valentine’s Day!

IMG 8441 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Or maybe you’d rather stab a square with a fork…

IMG 8443 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Place in the oven for 15-18 minutes at 350F. Rotate half way through. The amount of time you have to bake will depend on how thick they are. The crackers should be slightly firm when coming out of the oven.

IMG 8444 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Allow to cool for about 30 minutes. The graham crackers will really crisp up during this time.

The result is a delicious homemade graham cracker with a hint of peanut butter flavour!

IMG 8448 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Peanut Butter S’more anyone?

IMG 8458 2 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Or maybe PB + J?

IMG 8477 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

IMG 8478 thumb1   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

They are pretty insane.

IMG 8464 2 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

I think I slightly prefer this version over the last ones I made. This version has less of a molasses flavour to allow the peanut butter flavour to come through and it just seems to work really well.

IMG 8469 2 thumb   Peanut Butter & Jam Graham Cracker Sandwiches

Have a great start to your weekend!

Bella January 8, 2011

Is there a reason you didn’t use graham flour for these graham crackers?

Jessie January 8, 2011

I’ve been looking for a good healthy snack for the kids. Thinking we will whip up a batch today. Smores sound so good . . . wish we had the 6 burner gas stove that someday will be in my kitchen to roast the marshmallows over!

Paige @Running Around Normal January 8, 2011

Oh yum!! I think I’ll try my hand at these! I have a feeling today is going to be a baking day :) Your granola post the other day inspired me to make some granola, too :D

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 8, 2011

That sounds sooooo good.

Jo January 8, 2011

Hi Angela,

Do you have the calories per serving attached to your recipes? I thought I saw it once, but I haven’t seen this in a long time. Thank you.

Jo

Diana @ frontyardfoodie January 8, 2011

Holy crap I must make these! I have a terrible love for graham crackers and I think homemade must be a hundred times better.

Adam January 8, 2011

Do you think putting the dough in the fridge for a few hours would make it have better flavor, like the cookies??

Natalia - a side of simple January 8, 2011

I’m in love. Think of all the variations and fillings!

Ashley @ the fit academic January 8, 2011

So cute! I love the little heart-shaped crackers!

liza January 8, 2011

yum! looks good :)

Faith @ lovelyascharged January 8, 2011

Mmm, grown-up version of kiddie favorites :)

Colleen January 8, 2011

They look SO good!!! Probably oodles better than packaged, and a whole lot healthier :)

Rach January 8, 2011

Oh my gracious, those are adorable! And they make me crave peanut butter… haha!

Rach January 8, 2011

Oh my gracious, those are adorable! And they make me crave peanut butter… haha!

Casey January 8, 2011

I just made these, and they are delicious (even when they are a little burnt…oops)!!!!

Kathi January 8, 2011

Just wanted to let you know that the trying making the crackers today. They were a big success even hubby like them and he is resisting the whole vegan tooth and nail.

Have any idea what I can use in replacement for half and half? I used soy creamer but thought maybe you might have some other suggestions. I made a cauliflower soup that called for half and half.

Thanks for your help.

Nicole January 8, 2011

Those look AMAZING. Could I use actual graham flour in them, do you think? I have some at home I really need to use up (my mom’s annoyed at the ridiculous number of types of flour that are taking up space in our pantry lol)

jodie January 9, 2011

Oh my goodness. I just made these. Yup addicting. I only had 1 cup of whole wheat flour left so I used 1/2 cup of rye flour and it was still great ( i do love rye flour though).
Thanks for the inspiration. Oh my daughter thinks they are great too. But I think she is just more excited that they were vegan so she could eat the batter!

Kristy January 10, 2011

I’ve realized that usually seek out a “best” version of a recipe I’m trying to make – I make it then a few weeks later I check to see if you or mama pea have a vegan version. :-) Its fun to see the difference in textures and final products! I.E. Now I MUST make vegan graham since I made regular a few weeks back!

Sarah January 14, 2011

Oh my goodness….these are amazing!!! Just made a batch and the house smells heavenly :) I rolled it out between two layers of cling wrap to prevent sticking and it worked a treat. So happy with the outcome!

Sarah Dean January 26, 2011

Hey Angela!
I was hoping you may have a suggestion: I made these this evening with an egg instead of the flax mixture because my grinder(to grind the flax) was broken. They turned out great, but I ended up having ot form them into little balls and flatten them on the cookie sheet because they were incredibly sticky-is this because of the egg maybe? Any suggestions to help this-or should I just add more flour?
Sarah

Tina June 2, 2012

I just made these today after wanting to try them forever. They are absolutely amazing! I only had whole wheat flour on hand and just substituted more maple syrup for the molasses and they are just perfect. Thank you for sharing your ingenuity!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

Glad you enjoyed them Tina!

Marci June 27, 2012

This look super yummy! My little boy (5 yrs old) loves graham crackers but we need to be gluten free. How would you modify your recipe for the needs of the gluten free people?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012

Hey Marci, I have worked on a GF version a few times before and I didn’t quite nail it yet. I hope to at some point in the future! Im guessing a combo of flours will work best.

Jenny Jensen June 28, 2012

I can’t wait to try this recipe but I can’t take wheat. What should I use as an alternative flour? Love your ideas, so different! X X

Samantha August 16, 2012

Hi! Any thoughts on a flour I could sub in to makes these gluten free? Thanks and, Angela, love your blog. It, plus Momastery.com, is my one break from my daily dose of cynicism. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2012

Hey Samantha, I’ve tried some GF versions and nothing Im sold on yet. Ill keep working on it!

Samantha August 19, 2012

I’m going to try them with Thomas Keller’s new gluten free flour. I’ll report back!

jacque September 1, 2013

What would be a good swap for the whole wheat pastry flour to make these gf?

PinaColada February 16, 2014

Where did you get those heart shaped cookie cutters, if you don’t mind sharing? They are so adorable! :)

Chandrika March 6, 2014

I love your blog and find myself coming back to it whenever I need Inspiration. Thank you for sharing such wonderful recipes.. Will certainly try this one…

Page 3 of 3«123