Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

IMG 8346 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Do you ever read over a recipe and you say to yourself, there is no way that this can possibly taste good, but for some reason you just have to try it for yourself?

Yea, story of my life.

That is how the Green Monster happened, after all. [If you are curious to read ‘The story of the Green Monster’, see my post here.]

Anyways, I did not expect this Broccoli Dal would taste as good as it does. I came across this recipe in my Vegan Yum Yum Cookbook and I thought to myself, ‘How in the world could a broccoli soup taste good?’

I guess I still have broccoli issues that stem back to my childhood…

IMG 8302 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

So of course, I made the soup. I’m really not afraid of Green things anymore.

IMG 8301 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Well, except Swiss Chard.

I’ve tried cooking chard many different ways and I still don’t ever see myself enjoying it. I’m still bitter over how many times we found Swiss Chard in our CSA box over the summer. If you ever find yourself in desperation to use up Swiss Chard that is stinking up your fridge, do not attempt to put Swiss Chard into a Green Monster. That’s all I’m going to say.

I still have nightmares of dirty gym socks.

Thankfully this soup is nothing like dirty gym socks. I was drawn to this soup because it has awesome cold-busting ingredients 1) Greens, 2) Indian spices. It will also clear your sinuses and flush out your body. Just trust me on this one!

Besides that, it tastes incredible.

The first time I made it, I followed the recipe to a tee and I loved it. The second time I made it, I had some new ideas and I changed some things around. I actually love it both ways. Today, I will share with you the adapted version…just have a tissue box ready when you eat it!

IMG 8337 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Gather your ingredients…and prepare your vegetable broth if necessary.

IMG 8310 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Add oil to a large saucepan over low-medium heat and add in the uncooked red lentils, chopped sweet onion, ground cumin, and mustard seeds.

IMG 8318 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Cook on low-medium heat for about 6-9 minutes until the mustard seeds start popping a bit and the onion is tender.

Be careful because the mustard seeds will POP!! One hit me in the eye! It was quite hilarious, but only after I realized that I would not go blind like I thought.

Now prep the broccoli. I shaved some stems and also used the florets. Roughly chop the broccoli to make about 4.5 cups packed.

IMG 8308 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Now add the chopped broccoli into a food processor and process until very fine.

IMG 8309 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Like so.

IMG 8315 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Add in the vegetable broth and broccoli into the saucepan.

IMG 8320 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Stir well. Cook this mixture, covered if preferred, for about 20 minutes over low-medium heat, checking it often. Add kosher salt to taste.

IMG 8321 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

I added a bit of water as the soup got thick while cooking.

IMG 8322 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

After 20 minutes, add in the milk, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, red pepper flakes, and additional salt (to taste) if necessary.

IMG 8325 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Heat on low until the lentils are cooked through, about 7-10 more minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve with paprika and lemon wedges.

IMG 8337 thumb1   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Prepare yourself for a spicy, incredibly delicious, creamy Broccoli soup with an Indian flare. Despite what I anticipated, the soup does not have a strong ‘broccoli’ taste at all. It is very mild and barely detectable.

IMG 8344 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Just have a tissue handy because this soup will flush out your system! I think it was the first time in a week that Eric could breathe through both nostrils…

Candice @ChiaSeedMe January 6, 2011

It’s so funny to me that you don’t like swiss chard because I love it it sauteed in a little bit of oil with sea salt. Many times this summer my grocery store didn’t have it, and I would have loved to have taken yours off your hands!

Sadly I don’t really like Indian flavors, but this soup looks beautiful!

Sportsgirl January 7, 2011

Re: Chard…that’s why having a bunny rabbit is awesome; she loves chard and gobbles it up for me. I don’t mind it myself though, but she eats it more than I do.
I loooove broccoli. I have a recipe for a curried lentil soup that I love too, but it is a spinach curried lentil soup. You know, I bet you could put your chard in this and it would work well!

Sportsgirl January 7, 2011

Me again

have you ever tried chard with onions, garlic & coconut cream?

thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 7, 2011

Haha naw, If i think to myself a recipe sounds gross/off/odd, there’s a very small change I’ll try it ;)

Mel January 7, 2011

I love indian food such as Dal! I juice broccoli a lot so soup is an easy option for me. The thing about spicey food is it certainly warms you up in this cold weather so Im definitly giving it a go

Marit January 7, 2011

What a brilliant idea!
question: if you cook it in so it becomes like a dahl stew, will that work?
i’ve got some Naan breads and been trying to think of something to have with them…
also
being as you are a keen indian-cooking enthusiast i’d love to reccomend trying Saag-dishes. spinach with varius additions
Palak Paneer is a fave of mine (the cheese can be exchanged for chickpeas, tofu or potatoes.)

Ingredients
250 grams paneer (Indian cheese,tofu, chickpeas)
2 bunches of palak
3 medium sized onions (finely chopped)
2 medium size tomatoes (finely chopped) OR tomato puree as per convenience
2 green chillies (slit into half)
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ ginger paste
½ garlic paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp chana masala
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Cream for garnish (coconutcream or soy natural yoghurt works really well too)

Steps
1. Cook the palak (spinach) for about 5 minutes in boiling water and chop it to “forksize bites” after it is cold.

2. Cut the paneer into small cubes and deep fry in oil till light golden brown

3. Heat the oil in a Kadhai/non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. Wait till it crackles and ensure that it does not burn. Add the chopped onions and green chillies and sauté till the onions are golden brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for another minute. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and the chana masala powder and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes/tomato puree and stir till the oil separates.

4. Add the palak paste to this mixture along with 1 cup water.(Tip: You can use the water used for cooking the spinach)

5. Add the paneer, garam masala, sugar and salt and cook till you start to see the gravy bubbling. If the gravy seems a bit dry, you can add some more water.

4. Garnish with some cream in the end

Enjoy
It will be a pleasure following you!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes January 7, 2011

This looks crazy delicious and great for blocked sinuses…BONUS! :)

Lou January 7, 2011

that looks great! :)
oh and i was wondering… how did u start ur blog? did u use wordpress / blogger or? because i really want to start one but all the ones that are domain requires to pay :/

laura January 7, 2011

Love broccoli, so I will be sure to try this — thanks!
Weight Watchers has a vegetable soup that uses Swiss Chard — the ONLY place I’ve found I like it. Otherwise, it’s really unappealing…

Camille January 7, 2011

I think it looks incredible! Broccoli? Check. Indian food? Double check. There is no way to lose!

MaryBe January 7, 2011

I need to get some tumeric and cumin! I am missing out on so many great recipes. I have the garam masala and use it on everything including popcorn ha

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 7, 2011

I’ve been craving dal for days.. and now I have to make it!! Thanks for posting this. Yum!

Liza Jane January 7, 2011

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who hates Swiss Chard. No matter what I do it always just tastes bitter and gross, but people keep telling me how much they love it. I gave up, so now I just sub in spinch if I see it in a recipe.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 7, 2011

Your photographs and meals are looking better and better–truly professional quality. What an inspiration you are to all of your readers–as someone following her dream, making it work while coloring outside the lines, and finding balance. Kudos to you!

Brandi January 7, 2011

I’ve been eyeing that Broccoli Dal recipe in Vegan Yum Yum for a while now, but I have yet to make it! I guess I need to get of my lazy butt and make it. I think I’ll try the book’s version and then maybe yours. They both sound fantastic! Since I rather quite like broccoli in soups.

Stacy Miller January 7, 2011

Great post thanks for sharing. I really enjoy your blog very much. Excellent content!

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life January 7, 2011

I love broccoli soup! And lentils. And Indian food. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2011

me too…im craving it NOW!

Melinda January 7, 2011

It looks really good, but then again I love all things broccoli.

Michele January 7, 2011

I just made this – it’s on my stove right now. It’s delicious I couldn’t wait to sneak a taste. Love your blog. You are an inspiration.

Lauren January 7, 2011

Wow this sounds delicious! I’ve never made (or even had) dal before but I have most of these ingredients. On my next trip to the health food store I’ll have to get some lentils and give this a shot!

On another note, I made your pumpkin butter recipe for myself and for my brother for Christmas. It is amazing. Yum!

C January 7, 2011

you said: “I’m still bitter over how many times we found Swiss Chard in our CSA box over the summer. ” bitter! ha ha. I was forced to eat chard at summer camp, and it made me unhappy, though I like most greens now, so I should try it again. I love dal and I expect I would like this recipe. Yellow lentils, if you try them, are superb, BTW, and high in iron.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2011

good to know…ill have to keep on the look out!

Liana @ femme fraiche January 8, 2011

You just put all of my favourite ingredients into one! I love Indian spices…sounds delish!

Sara January 8, 2011

Loved the taste, texture wasn’t for me. If this is you, an immersion blender can work wonders. Thanks!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan January 8, 2011

Just made this for dinner and it was a hit. Funny how I have this book, but never bookmarked the recipe…then YOU make it, and I find myself whipping it up immediately! :)

Nicole January 9, 2011

Wow, that looks delicious! I love Indian spices. I would have never thought to make a broccoli dal!

kristine January 9, 2011

Just made this! I got a TON more than 4-5 cups… :S Not sure why ??

Amazing soup!

Elizabeth @ elizathon January 10, 2011

Just wanted to let you know that I made this recipe last night. I used green lentils instead of red, and I used ground mustard (1 teaspoon) instead of 2 teaspoons mustard seeds. I also needed to let it cook about 30 minutes longer than you recommended for the lentils to cook. But other than that I followed the recipe exactly. It turned out really good…I mean REALLY good. You cannot taste the broccoli at all, and it was spicy, but not too spicy. Filling and satisfying. I actually had homemade vegetable broth that I had made (and froze) the week before so I was happy to have a chance to use it. I give the recipe 5 out of 5 stars. :-) Just wanted to give you some feedback.

Suzanne January 11, 2011

My husband made this last night and we loved it! So comforting and healthy. Next time we decided we would try lime instead of lemon and some chopped coriander on top before serving.
It’s a keeper, thank you x

Sarah January 14, 2011

I just made this recipe for my decidedly non-vegan family and it turned out uuh-mazing! I never would have thought about putting broccoli in the recipe, but the texture was just right.
I didn’t put in any almond milk and added sumac in addition to the other spices.

Thanks for the inspiration, Angela!

Jessica January 20, 2011

We made this and so delish! Thank you.

Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul February 2, 2011

I’m looking forward to making this soon!

Vegolicious February 3, 2011

Your dal looks delicious and healthy too. I love that you’ve provided step by step instructions.

I’d love for your to submit them to Vegolicious, a vegetarian food photo gallery where readers can browse beautiful photos to discover new recipes and wonderful blogs. If you would like to share this recipe with our readers please submit a photo along with a link to this post.

Chrissy April 19, 2012

Really awesome soup!!! Will be on the rotation from now on :)

Lisa K April 23, 2012

Fulfilled d’all my dreams in Southern Ontario.. thanks!

shannon May 7, 2012

Random, but I came across this recipe the other day and decided to make it. and it was absolutely delicious!! thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

glad to hear that!

Michelle November 3, 2012

Just made this and it was absolutely incredible! The almond milk added a level of creaminess that mirrors the richness of coconut milk and other creams. Thank you for this! What a perfect dish for a cold night in San Francisco. =)

Anne January 7, 2013

made that yesterday as a lunch for school this week and I have to admit it looks a little funky but it tastes really good. I couldn’t find any red lentils so i went with normal ones and I also couldn’t find that marsala you where asking for, so I went with marsala tikka and i have a feeling the one you are asking for would make it taste even better!!! thank you for your great recipes! Love Love LOVE them!!!

Erica January 30, 2013

I love this recipe! I have made it several times and my husband and 18 month old son gobble it up. Thank you so much for sharing! I was wondering what kind of bouillon you use. I have tried several brands and have yet to find one that I like.

Jennifer February 27, 2013

Hi, Angela
I’m new to the whole Vegan thing; I just started a little over a month ago. I am cooking Vegan for me and non-Vegan for my husband and 5 kids. I’ve tried a bunch of your recipes already and every one has been amazing! So far I’ve tried the mac and cheeze, the broccoli and cheeze soup, the roasted tomato pesto, and the green monster. I just finished making this soup for my dinner tonight. It is fabulous! I can’t wait until dinner. Thanks for all of your help making my switch so easy and delicious. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 27, 2013

Hey Jennifer, Thanks for your lovely comment and for trying out so many recipes! I appreciate your feedback so much.

Camille February 28, 2013

Hi, I just made this recipe tonight and it is very tasty. However, it did not turn out nearly as creamy or yellow as yours.It was much more brothy even though I only used the 4.5 cups of vegetable broth that you suggest in the recipe. Any ideas why it lacked the creaminess?

Page 3 of 4«1234»