Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

IMG 8346 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Do you ever read over a recipe and you say to yourself, there is no way that this can possibly taste good, but for some reason you just have to try it for yourself?

Yea, story of my life.

That is how the Green Monster happened, after all. [If you are curious to read ‘The story of the Green Monster’, see my post here.]

Anyways, I did not expect this Broccoli Dal would taste as good as it does. I came across this recipe in my Vegan Yum Yum Cookbook and I thought to myself, ‘How in the world could a broccoli soup taste good?’

I guess I still have broccoli issues that stem back to my childhood…

IMG 8302 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

So of course, I made the soup. I’m really not afraid of Green things anymore.

IMG 8301 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Well, except Swiss Chard.

I’ve tried cooking chard many different ways and I still don’t ever see myself enjoying it. I’m still bitter over how many times we found Swiss Chard in our CSA box over the summer. If you ever find yourself in desperation to use up Swiss Chard that is stinking up your fridge, do not attempt to put Swiss Chard into a Green Monster. That’s all I’m going to say.

I still have nightmares of dirty gym socks.

Thankfully this soup is nothing like dirty gym socks. I was drawn to this soup because it has awesome cold-busting ingredients 1) Greens, 2) Indian spices. It will also clear your sinuses and flush out your body. Just trust me on this one!

Besides that, it tastes incredible.

The first time I made it, I followed the recipe to a tee and I loved it. The second time I made it, I had some new ideas and I changed some things around. I actually love it both ways. Today, I will share with you the adapted version…just have a tissue box ready when you eat it!

IMG 8337 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Gather your ingredients…and prepare your vegetable broth if necessary.

IMG 8310 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Add oil to a large saucepan over low-medium heat and add in the uncooked red lentils, chopped sweet onion, ground cumin, and mustard seeds.

IMG 8318 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Cook on low-medium heat for about 6-9 minutes until the mustard seeds start popping a bit and the onion is tender.

Be careful because the mustard seeds will POP!! One hit me in the eye! It was quite hilarious, but only after I realized that I would not go blind like I thought.

Now prep the broccoli. I shaved some stems and also used the florets. Roughly chop the broccoli to make about 4.5 cups packed.

IMG 8308 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Now add the chopped broccoli into a food processor and process until very fine.

IMG 8309 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Like so.

IMG 8315 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Add in the vegetable broth and broccoli into the saucepan.

IMG 8320 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Stir well. Cook this mixture, covered if preferred, for about 20 minutes over low-medium heat, checking it often. Add kosher salt to taste.

IMG 8321 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

I added a bit of water as the soup got thick while cooking.

IMG 8322 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

After 20 minutes, add in the milk, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, red pepper flakes, and additional salt (to taste) if necessary.

IMG 8325 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Heat on low until the lentils are cooked through, about 7-10 more minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve with paprika and lemon wedges.

IMG 8337 thumb1   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Prepare yourself for a spicy, incredibly delicious, creamy Broccoli soup with an Indian flare. Despite what I anticipated, the soup does not have a strong ‘broccoli’ taste at all. It is very mild and barely detectable.

IMG 8344 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Just have a tissue handy because this soup will flush out your system! I think it was the first time in a week that Eric could breathe through both nostrils…

Amber K January 6, 2011

Broccoli has been my favorite vegetable since I was a child. This looks delicious!

The green I can’t stand is kale. No matter how I’ve had it (including kale chips) it’s just bitter and gross. Although in the case of the chips it tasted really good until the seasoning taste went away and I had the bitter aftertaste of that horrid kale.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011

haha..ive had some bad kale in my day too. im happy that the vitamix can at least blend it fully now so I dont have to chew it.

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 6, 2011

I love broccoli so I will try this! :D

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 6, 2011

Broccoli is a fave of mine so this is a definitely recipe for me to try!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans January 6, 2011

I’ve been checking out Dals lately and this one takes the cake for the most appetizing and orignal one I’ve seen so far.

Marvellous!

suz January 6, 2011

i love swiss chard (now collards that’s another story). you cut out the stems and chop them up. sautee them in a skillet then add the chopped up leaves. they taste like spinach to me. add any seasonings you like: salt, garlic, pepper, curry etc. then mix them up with some type of grain. they are also good with tomatoes.

if your going to put them in your green monster: juice them first. the juice is good. that’s what i do with all the extra chard i don’t eat. also there are sweeter varieties. try all the different colors. : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011

ive tried cooking it that way several times and no luck. Guess I am just not a chard person!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! January 6, 2011

Broccoli soup without cheese in it? Now this I have to try!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 6, 2011

This dish looks so colorful and flavorful! Never had anything like this, but it look delicious!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 6, 2011

Yum! This has so many things I love… broccoli, lentils, Indian spices… definitely on my list to try :)

As much as I love kale, broccoli and spinach, I’m also so-so about swiss chard, and collards… they’re kinda yucky. But I eat them sometimes because they’re good for me!!

xo

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 6, 2011

this looks delicious! the lentils add great protein and texture to this i’m sure!

Tracy January 6, 2011

That sounds yummy. I don’t know why the line about the mustard seed popping and hitting you in the eye had me LMAO. But I’m glad your eye is okay!! :)

melissa daams January 6, 2011

well, i love broccoli and red lentils so this looks like a recipe for me!

Angela, I wanted to tell you that i’m awarding you the one lovely blog award over at sweet rolls that rock. I just loved your take on the pumpkin pie cinnamon rolls you did a few months back. such lovely ideas. http://sweet-rolls-that-rock.blogspot.com/2011/01/one-lovely-blog-award.html

also, i just like a lot of the stuff you post on here. i follow you all the time – in my google reader, therefore, you may not see all my likes and stars. but i wanted to comment here and let you know today – your blog is appreciated ;)

melissa

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011

Thanks Melissa!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 6, 2011

Oh your 1st line about recipes that you think just cant sound good…yea, most of what i read in the sphere sounds meh? at best. Shhh, don’t tell anyone :)

I love your dal!!! First, b/c it uses NO CURRY and NO GARLIC…I am just not a fan. I know, crazy, huh. Omg that is just amazing you cooked this without them… thank you :) And i do LOVE garam masala. I dig that!

And just yesterday i posted about ethnic cuisine and things i wanted to make more of at home…indian food, sans curry and garlic was the 1st thing on my list! you are a mindreader :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 6, 2011

YUM! My irish Godmother makes broccoli soup, but I’ve never had a version with lentils!

Doc (The Healthy PhD) January 6, 2011

I can’t believe you don’t like swiss chard! It’s my favorite….oh well, your broccoli dahl is so beautiful, I’ll forgive you ;)

Julie (A Case of the Runs) January 6, 2011

Isn’t chard a Southern (US) staple? I guessing most sautee it with oil and bacon… but maybe you have a chemical sensitivity to the smell of chard. I have similiar sensitivities to some herbs…

Julie January 6, 2011

You’ve been making and sharing the BEST recipes lately. I need something to ‘flush’ my system and i’ll definitely be making this tonight!!!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 6, 2011

I love spicy soups and broccoli! The more your nose runs the better :) I will need to try this because my mom and I have been searching for a vegan broccoli soup for a while. Thanks for the recipe!

Marina January 6, 2011

I love broccoli, and recently, I fell in love with lentils. I bet this is awesome!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 6, 2011

I love broccoli, and I love lentils, so I suspect this dish cold be a winner in our house!!!

Jazz January 6, 2011

I could have warned you about those pesky mustard seeds, I am still cleaning some out of my carpet from last night!

Lina January 6, 2011

Swiss Chard is the best! I buy the red stalked one, I find it a bit sweeter. I cut off the stalks chop them into pieces and saute them with eggplant, garlic and onion. Then I chop up the leaves and cook it all down with a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, and spice it up with lots of italian spices. ITs delicious!

Lisa Fine - lisasfoods January 6, 2011

That’s so funny – I made vegan Indian food for dinner last night, including a delicious dal! (Mine didn’t have broccoli in it, but the curry I made did.) The rice is in the cooker right now so we can have leftovers for dinner tonight. :)

Moni'sMeals January 6, 2011

Fantastic Recipe…as usual.
Perfect this time of year too!

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 6, 2011

I wasn’t too hungry until NOW! :) Looks yummy!

Katie January 6, 2011

I love love indian food – espeically dal. I’ve never had it with broccolli, but why not?

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 6, 2011

Mmmm this looks great! I am a HUGE veggie fan and really do love broccoli now. Like you I didn’t enjoy it so much as a wee one ;)

xxoo

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 6, 2011

I could definitely use some spicy Indian food in my life! Great job :)

maria @ Chasing the Now January 6, 2011

I’ve been craving some good broccoli soup. I am going to try making something similar to this soon–maybe with quinoa instead?

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy January 6, 2011

The perfect winter time recipe to keep me warm in Colorado!

Faith @ lovelyascharged January 6, 2011

I love how spicy foods totally clear out your sinuses. Wasabi is great for that!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 6, 2011

Looks yummy and healthy! I love anything that can help prevent a cold :)

Jackie January 6, 2011

You’ve mentioned several times recently that you didn’t use to eat vegetables at all- you had a total aversion to them. And now you love them and put them in everything! I’m still stuck in the former stage. Would you consider doing a post about how you overcame The Fear of All Things Green (or Other Vegetable Colors)? Maybe with a few starter recipes that won’t scare those of use still dealing with The Fear?

Marie-Journey to Body Zen January 6, 2011

I love trying things that look not-so-good and then finding out they are oh-so-tasty!

hirsha January 6, 2011

Looks really good! I like broccoli and this one will definitely go on my Must Try list!
I make an Indian-style curry combining broccoli and cabbage and a gravy that you might like. Recipe source is

Elizabeth @ elizathon January 6, 2011

Can you believe I actually have all the ingredients for this in my kitchen RIGHT NOW?!? I do! I swear! Look out family, we are having soup tomorrow night.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 6, 2011

Broccoli is one of my favourite veggies, so this sounds GREAT!!!!

Hannah January 6, 2011

I so adore your healthy vegan main dishes… and yet when I make it to the kitchen, I always seem to end up making your desserts. Why is that? :P

Kate January 6, 2011

Hi Angela,

I think this recipe might change your thoughts on Swiss Chard – seriously! It’s called Spicy Sun-Dried Tomato Soup with White Beans and Swiss Chard. It’s simple, seasonal, healthy, and delicious.

Enjoy!
Kate

Laural January 6, 2011

I totally made this tonight and substituted cauliflower for broccoli because that’s what I had on hand. Delicious….and amazingly spicy :) Thanks for the dish!

Alyssa January 6, 2011

So excited to make this!!! I love when you do Indian recipes!!

Page 2 of 4«1234»