Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

IMG 8346 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Do you ever read over a recipe and you say to yourself, there is no way that this can possibly taste good, but for some reason you just have to try it for yourself?

Yea, story of my life.

That is how the Green Monster happened, after all. [If you are curious to read ‘The story of the Green Monster’, see my post here.]

Anyways, I did not expect this Broccoli Dal would taste as good as it does. I came across this recipe in my Vegan Yum Yum Cookbook and I thought to myself, ‘How in the world could a broccoli soup taste good?’

I guess I still have broccoli issues that stem back to my childhood…

IMG 8302 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

So of course, I made the soup. I’m really not afraid of Green things anymore.

IMG 8301 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Well, except Swiss Chard.

I’ve tried cooking chard many different ways and I still don’t ever see myself enjoying it. I’m still bitter over how many times we found Swiss Chard in our CSA box over the summer. If you ever find yourself in desperation to use up Swiss Chard that is stinking up your fridge, do not attempt to put Swiss Chard into a Green Monster. That’s all I’m going to say.

I still have nightmares of dirty gym socks.

Thankfully this soup is nothing like dirty gym socks. I was drawn to this soup because it has awesome cold-busting ingredients 1) Greens, 2) Indian spices. It will also clear your sinuses and flush out your body. Just trust me on this one!

Besides that, it tastes incredible.

The first time I made it, I followed the recipe to a tee and I loved it. The second time I made it, I had some new ideas and I changed some things around. I actually love it both ways. Today, I will share with you the adapted version…just have a tissue box ready when you eat it!

IMG 8337 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Gather your ingredients…and prepare your vegetable broth if necessary.

IMG 8310 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Add oil to a large saucepan over low-medium heat and add in the uncooked red lentils, chopped sweet onion, ground cumin, and mustard seeds.

IMG 8318 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Cook on low-medium heat for about 6-9 minutes until the mustard seeds start popping a bit and the onion is tender.

Be careful because the mustard seeds will POP!! One hit me in the eye! It was quite hilarious, but only after I realized that I would not go blind like I thought.

Now prep the broccoli. I shaved some stems and also used the florets. Roughly chop the broccoli to make about 4.5 cups packed.

IMG 8308 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Now add the chopped broccoli into a food processor and process until very fine.

IMG 8309 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Like so.

IMG 8315 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Add in the vegetable broth and broccoli into the saucepan.

IMG 8320 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Stir well. Cook this mixture, covered if preferred, for about 20 minutes over low-medium heat, checking it often. Add kosher salt to taste.

IMG 8321 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

I added a bit of water as the soup got thick while cooking.

IMG 8322 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

After 20 minutes, add in the milk, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, red pepper flakes, and additional salt (to taste) if necessary.

IMG 8325 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Heat on low until the lentils are cooked through, about 7-10 more minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve with paprika and lemon wedges.

IMG 8337 thumb1   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Prepare yourself for a spicy, incredibly delicious, creamy Broccoli soup with an Indian flare. Despite what I anticipated, the soup does not have a strong ‘broccoli’ taste at all. It is very mild and barely detectable.

IMG 8344 thumb   Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

Just have a tissue handy because this soup will flush out your system! I think it was the first time in a week that Eric could breathe through both nostrils…

Ashley @ the fit academic January 6, 2011

I love broccoli so I bet I would LOVE this!

Amy January 6, 2011

Looks interesting, not really into the spicy Indian food. But I absolutely agree with you about Chard! Yucky stuff!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner January 6, 2011

Wow, this looks amazing! Indian is one of my favorite cuisines, the spicier the better. I have to get my hands on some garam masala so that I can give this recipe (and other Indian dishes) a try!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 6, 2011

Yay for Indian food! I love dal and it was one of my favourite dishes when I lived in the Middle East. I agree on the Swiss Chard GMs… can’t stand them!

Jackie @ Baking Charms January 6, 2011

This looks a fun Indian dish!! And I hate Swiss Chard… yuck

Ashley January 6, 2011

Just lovely!! Funny about the chard…I just ate it…for BREAKFAST!! Did you see Gena’s raw sushi breakfast wrap yesterday? I made it this AM with chard + loved it, hehe. :) This soup looks deeeelicious!

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 6, 2011

If you were here to cook for me, I could definitely be vegan! You make everything look so delicious!

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ Sketch-Free Vegan January 6, 2011

I love indian food! especially daal…

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 6, 2011

Yummy! Broccoli is my current favourite veggie, and I LOVE daal, so this is perfect!!
By the way Angela, this made me wonder…does broccoli work in Green Monsters?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011

I have never had it in a GM….the thought scares me!

Katie January 6, 2011

I’ve done it and you can’t taste it! I promise.

Shanna, like Banana January 6, 2011

Anything spicy is a major WIN in my book. I have not entered the foray of my own Indian cooking, but I totally need to since I sort of love it!

Cathy Breit January 6, 2011

I love Indian food…and broccoli soup! :) so it doesn’t take a whole lotta convincing for me to make this :)
thanks for sharing, once again,
cathy b. @ brightb akes

Kelly January 6, 2011

That sounds so good, even though I’m not a fan of broccoli soups myself. I love Indian spices so I will definitely have to try this.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 6, 2011

Mmmm…I think it looks great! Love how gorgeously green it is.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 6, 2011

Swiss chard is nasty by itself, I will agree. But I’ve found some awesome ways to eat it (so it’s not bitter and gross) I love it on my homemade pizza, in soup, on quinoa (with Braggs, sesame oil, and sesame seeds), and in omelet’s! But by itself? No thanks.

Great recipe, it looks beautiful!

Halley (Blunder Construction) January 6, 2011

THANK YOU for spelling out how to prepare a spicy Indian dish! I have tried my hand a few times at some curry dishes with no spice or success. I think I could pull this off, I might try black lentils since that’s what I have in the pantry.

Keltie January 6, 2011

This soup looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it!

Anna January 6, 2011

Looks perfect for this cold weather!

Also, I have a swiss chard (and chickpea and mushroom) recipe – it’s the only way/time I’ve ever tried swiss chard, but I love it. And my boyfriend does too, despite his aversion to anything green. Happy to pass it along if you’d like…?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011

hmm perhaps in the summer…I don’t think I will be purposely buying chard this winter if I can help it…lol. ;)

Charlie January 6, 2011

I actually love broccoli soup! Must be so filling with the lentils!!

Andrea J January 6, 2011

This actually looks good to me! I’ve been looking for a recipe to use my lentils in and I think this will be it! :)

Bronwyn Coyne January 6, 2011

Hmmmm. Looks so good! Love dal, and adding the broccoli is definitely different.

Amanda (Eating Up) January 6, 2011

That paprika was a nice touch!

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 6, 2011

i have every ingredient! i’m making this this weekend for SURE…it sounds INCREDIBLE!

Roz January 6, 2011

This looks absolutely delicious and perfect for vegetarians and non vegetarians alike!

Gwen~healthymamma January 6, 2011

Yes! I love finding wonderful lentil recipes, especially spicy ones!
I had a mustard seed incident a while back, scared me out of my pants! Now my husband laughs at me cuz I stand as far from the pan as possible while trying to stir and hold a ‘shield’ in my other hand.
I can’t believe you don’t like Swiss Chard! ;) I impore you to try my recipe, it’s flavours are PERFECT for Swiss Chard, you’ll love it, it will be your new favorite. ;)

Lily's Health Pad January 6, 2011

Oh how I love Indian spices! I will have to try this soup. Although it appears somewhat laborious with the skillet, food processor, and pot all going at once!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011

It was actually very easy to throw together…especially if you use pre-made broth (that was the only reason that my step involved another pot), but aside from that it is just the processor and skillet.

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 6, 2011

Wow thats an interesting combination. Being an Indian I make a lot of different dal’s but never tried adding broccoli to dal. Will definitely give it a try. Have you ever used Toor dal? Try using it some time it is very similar in taste to masoor dal. I bet you will like it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011

No I dont believe I have ever used Toor dal…I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled!

Raychel January 6, 2011

This sounds great to make for my Indian roommate! Do you think I could use green lentils instead of red?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011

The green lentils don’t cook down as much as the red, so i’m not sure…I’m sure it would turn out, but not so sure if it would be quite the same in texture and taste.

Whitney @ Blooming Significance January 6, 2011

That looks amazing!! I love anything spicy! Dinner tonight :)

Where do you get all of these great ideas?

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie January 6, 2011

I am SO excited to make this! I love trying different dals. The hotter, the better for me.

Allison @ Food For Healing January 6, 2011

that looks surprisingly good! I love how the broccoli looks after it is all chopped up; nerd much lol

Liz January 6, 2011

Looks delicious, I can’t wait to try it as I have been looking for more lentil recipes! Thank you so much for adding the print recipe feature!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 6, 2011

I love broccoli.. soup… and indian spices. WHy have I not thought of this before?

stephanie a. January 6, 2011

well i guess this answers the question “what am i having for lunch today?”

Nikki T January 6, 2011

I don’t know much about indian food, but do you think this recipe might work with green curry paste for the spice rather than the Garam Masala? I may be totally off here…I’m no cook! ;)
I’ve been meaning to make something ‘coconut green curry’ style, but haven’t had the chance…or the creative flow!
Help?! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011

hmm im not sure, I have never tried green curry paste.

jenna January 6, 2011

i love broccoli! this looks so flavorful! perfect for a cold winter day

Snehal January 6, 2011

Very innovative :-) Being an Indian, I have eaten almost all variations of vegetable daals, this one is worth trying. Thanks for posting.
I had an observation about the titles of your recipes. Is there a reason why you add an adjective to all your recipes? It appears that the recipes need to justify why they are good, and are not worthy just by themselves. Or is it that you are trying to get a wider audience by trying to lure them with catchy titles? I would still be attracted to this recipe even if you had named it simply “Broccoli Daal” or “Daal with a twist” , but that’s just me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011

No reason other than the fact that I like fun titles

Cynthia September 15, 2012

I, for one, hope you keep having a blast creating fun titles! It’s way cooler to cook when I already know what I’m about to make is so great it even SOUNDS exciting. Seeing the title or the stories on your blog puts me in just the right frame of mind to cook with joy, even if I may have started out… sleepy! Then, when my my grandma says “You are working too hard!” (because she thinks anything not from a can is work), I can say, “I’m not working, Grandma. I’m making some Energizing Spicy Broccoli Dal that will ‘rock my face off!’” ;)

Ashley January 6, 2011

Holy yum that looks delicious

Picky Nicky January 6, 2011

I’ve never really like indian food but this sure is pretty :)

Healthy Chocoholic January 6, 2011

Huh that sounds pretty good!!!! Might have to make this pretty soon!

Lindsey@ Enjoying Healthy Foods January 6, 2011

Love Broccoli and love Chard! This soup looks wonderful!!!!

Page 1 of 41234»