Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 6, 2011

IMG_8346

Do you ever read over a recipe and you say to yourself, there is no way that this can possibly taste good, but for some reason you just have to try it for yourself?

Yea, story of my life.

That is how the Green Monster happened, after all. [If you are curious to read ‘The story of the Green Monster’, see my post here.]

Anyways, I did not expect this Broccoli Dal would taste as good as it does. I came across this recipe in my Vegan Yum Yum Cookbook and I thought to myself, ‘How in the world could a broccoli soup taste good?’

I guess I still have broccoli issues that stem back to my childhood…

IMG_8302

So of course, I made the soup. I’m really not afraid of Green things anymore.

IMG_8301

Well, except Swiss Chard.

I’ve tried cooking chard many different ways and I still don’t ever see myself enjoying it. I’m still bitter over how many times we found Swiss Chard in our CSA box over the summer. If you ever find yourself in desperation to use up Swiss Chard that is stinking up your fridge, do not attempt to put Swiss Chard into a Green Monster. That’s all I’m going to say.

I still have nightmares of dirty gym socks.

Thankfully this soup is nothing like dirty gym socks. I was drawn to this soup because it has awesome cold-busting ingredients 1) Greens, 2) Indian spices. It will also clear your sinuses and flush out your body. Just trust me on this one!

Besides that, it tastes incredible.

The first time I made it, I followed the recipe to a tee and I loved it. The second time I made it, I had some new ideas and I changed some things around. I actually love it both ways. Today, I will share with you the adapted version…just have a tissue box ready when you eat it!

IMG_8337

5 from 5 reviews

Energizing Broccoli Dal

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

This unique spin on dal packs in a ton of green broccoli power! You'll feel energized by this light, and incredibly flavourful dish. This recipe is inspired by the Vegan Yum Yum Cookbook by Lauren Ulm.

Yield
5 cups
Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 to 5 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets (from 1 large head)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
  • 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
  • 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
  • 1 cup uncooked red lentils
  • Fine sea salt, to taste (I used just over 1 teaspoon)
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala spice mix (I love Arvinda's brand)
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
  • Paprika, to garnish
  • Naan bread, for serving
  • Lemon wedges, for serving

Directions:

1. Add the oil into a large saucepan and increase the heat to low-medium so the oil can preheat.
  2. Add the broccoli into a food processor and process until very finely chopped (about the size of rice grains).
  3. Add the cumin and mustard seeds into the saucepan with the oil. The seeds should sizzle and begin popping in the oil right away. As soon as the seeds start to pop, cover the saucepan immediately with a lid, and remove the saucepan from the heat source. Let sit until the seeds stop popping, then remove the lid and stir.
  4. Stir in the onion, and place the saucepan back over medium heat. Cook for 3 to 4 more minutes until the onion softens.
  5. Now, add the finely chopped broccoli, broth, entire can of coconut milk, lentils, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garam masala, turmeric, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
  6. Increase heat to high and bring to a low bowl. Reduce heat to medium, cover with lid, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Now remove the lid and stir, and continue simmering, uncovered, for another 10 minutes, until the lentils soften and the mixture thickens. Stir every now and then to make sure it doesn't stick.
  7. Stir in the lemon juice to taste.
  8. Ladle the dal into bowls and serve with naan bread or pita bread. Garnish with paprika and a lemon wedge, if desired.

IMG_8310

Add oil to a large saucepan over low-medium heat and add in the uncooked red lentils, chopped sweet onion, ground cumin, and mustard seeds.

IMG_8318

Cook on low-medium heat for about 6-9 minutes until the mustard seeds start popping a bit and the onion is tender.

Be careful because the mustard seeds will POP!! One hit me in the eye! It was quite hilarious, but only after I realized that I would not go blind like I thought.

Now prep the broccoli. I shaved some stems and also used the florets. Roughly chop the broccoli to make about 4.5 cups packed.

IMG_8308

Now add the chopped broccoli into a food processor and process until very fine.

IMG_8309

Like so.

IMG_8315

Add in the vegetable broth and broccoli into the saucepan.

IMG_8320

Stir well. Cook this mixture, covered if preferred, for about 20 minutes over low-medium heat, checking it often. Add kosher salt to taste.

IMG_8321

I added a bit of water as the soup got thick while cooking.

IMG_8322

After 20 minutes, add in the milk, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, red pepper flakes, and additional salt (to taste) if necessary.

IMG_8325

Heat on low until the lentils are cooked through, about 7-10 more minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve with paprika and lemon wedges.

IMG_8337

Prepare yourself for a spicy, incredibly delicious, creamy Broccoli soup with an Indian flare. Despite what I anticipated, the soup does not have a strong ‘broccoli’ taste at all. It is very mild and barely detectable.

IMG_8344

Just have a tissue handy because this soup will flush out your system! I think it was the first time in a week that Eric could breathe through both nostrils…

Ashley @ the fit academic January 6, 2011 at 11:07 am

I love broccoli so I bet I would LOVE this!

Amy January 6, 2011 at 11:10 am

Looks interesting, not really into the spicy Indian food. But I absolutely agree with you about Chard! Yucky stuff!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner January 6, 2011 at 11:14 am

Wow, this looks amazing! Indian is one of my favorite cuisines, the spicier the better. I have to get my hands on some garam masala so that I can give this recipe (and other Indian dishes) a try!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 6, 2011 at 11:15 am

Yay for Indian food! I love dal and it was one of my favourite dishes when I lived in the Middle East. I agree on the Swiss Chard GMs… can’t stand them!

Jackie @ Baking Charms January 6, 2011 at 11:17 am

This looks a fun Indian dish!! And I hate Swiss Chard… yuck

Ashley January 6, 2011 at 11:18 am

Just lovely!! Funny about the chard…I just ate it…for BREAKFAST!! Did you see Gena’s raw sushi breakfast wrap yesterday? I made it this AM with chard + loved it, hehe. :) This soup looks deeeelicious!

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 6, 2011 at 11:18 am

If you were here to cook for me, I could definitely be vegan! You make everything look so delicious!

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ Sketch-Free Vegan January 6, 2011 at 11:20 am

I love indian food! especially daal…

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 6, 2011 at 11:20 am

Yummy! Broccoli is my current favourite veggie, and I LOVE daal, so this is perfect!!
By the way Angela, this made me wonder…does broccoli work in Green Monsters?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I have never had it in a GM….the thought scares me!

Katie January 6, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I’ve done it and you can’t taste it! I promise.

Shanna, like Banana January 6, 2011 at 11:24 am

Anything spicy is a major WIN in my book. I have not entered the foray of my own Indian cooking, but I totally need to since I sort of love it!

Cathy Breit January 6, 2011 at 11:24 am

I love Indian food…and broccoli soup! :) so it doesn’t take a whole lotta convincing for me to make this :)
thanks for sharing, once again,
cathy b. @ brightb akes

Kelly January 6, 2011 at 11:30 am

That sounds so good, even though I’m not a fan of broccoli soups myself. I love Indian spices so I will definitely have to try this.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 6, 2011 at 11:33 am

Mmmm…I think it looks great! Love how gorgeously green it is.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 6, 2011 at 11:34 am

Swiss chard is nasty by itself, I will agree. But I’ve found some awesome ways to eat it (so it’s not bitter and gross) I love it on my homemade pizza, in soup, on quinoa (with Braggs, sesame oil, and sesame seeds), and in omelet’s! But by itself? No thanks.

Great recipe, it looks beautiful!

Halley (Blunder Construction) January 6, 2011 at 11:34 am

THANK YOU for spelling out how to prepare a spicy Indian dish! I have tried my hand a few times at some curry dishes with no spice or success. I think I could pull this off, I might try black lentils since that’s what I have in the pantry.

Keltie January 6, 2011 at 11:37 am

This soup looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it!

Anna January 6, 2011 at 11:38 am

Looks perfect for this cold weather!

Also, I have a swiss chard (and chickpea and mushroom) recipe – it’s the only way/time I’ve ever tried swiss chard, but I love it. And my boyfriend does too, despite his aversion to anything green. Happy to pass it along if you’d like…?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm

hmm perhaps in the summer…I don’t think I will be purposely buying chard this winter if I can help it…lol. ;)

Charlie January 6, 2011 at 11:51 am

I actually love broccoli soup! Must be so filling with the lentils!!

Andrea J January 6, 2011 at 11:51 am

This actually looks good to me! I’ve been looking for a recipe to use my lentils in and I think this will be it! :)

Bronwyn Coyne January 6, 2011 at 11:54 am

Hmmmm. Looks so good! Love dal, and adding the broccoli is definitely different.

Amanda (Eating Up) January 6, 2011 at 11:58 am

That paprika was a nice touch!

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 6, 2011 at 11:58 am

i have every ingredient! i’m making this this weekend for SURE…it sounds INCREDIBLE!

Roz January 6, 2011 at 12:04 pm

This looks absolutely delicious and perfect for vegetarians and non vegetarians alike!

Gwen~healthymamma January 6, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Yes! I love finding wonderful lentil recipes, especially spicy ones!
I had a mustard seed incident a while back, scared me out of my pants! Now my husband laughs at me cuz I stand as far from the pan as possible while trying to stir and hold a ‘shield’ in my other hand.
I can’t believe you don’t like Swiss Chard! ;) I impore you to try my recipe, it’s flavours are PERFECT for Swiss Chard, you’ll love it, it will be your new favorite. ;)

Lily's Health Pad January 6, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Oh how I love Indian spices! I will have to try this soup. Although it appears somewhat laborious with the skillet, food processor, and pot all going at once!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm

It was actually very easy to throw together…especially if you use pre-made broth (that was the only reason that my step involved another pot), but aside from that it is just the processor and skillet.

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 6, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Wow thats an interesting combination. Being an Indian I make a lot of different dal’s but never tried adding broccoli to dal. Will definitely give it a try. Have you ever used Toor dal? Try using it some time it is very similar in taste to masoor dal. I bet you will like it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm

No I dont believe I have ever used Toor dal…I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled!

Raychel January 6, 2011 at 12:19 pm

This sounds great to make for my Indian roommate! Do you think I could use green lentils instead of red?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011 at 1:02 pm

The green lentils don’t cook down as much as the red, so i’m not sure…I’m sure it would turn out, but not so sure if it would be quite the same in texture and taste.

Whitney @ Blooming Significance January 6, 2011 at 12:27 pm

That looks amazing!! I love anything spicy! Dinner tonight :)

Where do you get all of these great ideas?

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie January 6, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I am SO excited to make this! I love trying different dals. The hotter, the better for me.

Allison @ Food For Healing January 6, 2011 at 12:31 pm

that looks surprisingly good! I love how the broccoli looks after it is all chopped up; nerd much lol

Liz January 6, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Looks delicious, I can’t wait to try it as I have been looking for more lentil recipes! Thank you so much for adding the print recipe feature!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 6, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I love broccoli.. soup… and indian spices. WHy have I not thought of this before?

stephanie a. January 6, 2011 at 12:42 pm

well i guess this answers the question “what am i having for lunch today?”

Nikki T January 6, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I don’t know much about indian food, but do you think this recipe might work with green curry paste for the spice rather than the Garam Masala? I may be totally off here…I’m no cook! ;)
I’ve been meaning to make something ‘coconut green curry’ style, but haven’t had the chance…or the creative flow!
Help?! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm

hmm im not sure, I have never tried green curry paste.

jenna January 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm

i love broccoli! this looks so flavorful! perfect for a cold winter day

Snehal January 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Very innovative :-) Being an Indian, I have eaten almost all variations of vegetable daals, this one is worth trying. Thanks for posting.
I had an observation about the titles of your recipes. Is there a reason why you add an adjective to all your recipes? It appears that the recipes need to justify why they are good, and are not worthy just by themselves. Or is it that you are trying to get a wider audience by trying to lure them with catchy titles? I would still be attracted to this recipe even if you had named it simply “Broccoli Daal” or “Daal with a twist” , but that’s just me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm

No reason other than the fact that I like fun titles

Cynthia September 15, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I, for one, hope you keep having a blast creating fun titles! It’s way cooler to cook when I already know what I’m about to make is so great it even SOUNDS exciting. Seeing the title or the stories on your blog puts me in just the right frame of mind to cook with joy, even if I may have started out… sleepy! Then, when my my grandma says “You are working too hard!” (because she thinks anything not from a can is work), I can say, “I’m not working, Grandma. I’m making some Energizing Spicy Broccoli Dal that will ‘rock my face off!'” ;)

Ashley January 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Holy yum that looks delicious

Picky Nicky January 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I’ve never really like indian food but this sure is pretty :)

Healthy Chocoholic January 6, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Huh that sounds pretty good!!!! Might have to make this pretty soon!

[email protected] Enjoying Healthy Foods January 6, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Love Broccoli and love Chard! This soup looks wonderful!!!!

Amber K January 6, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Broccoli has been my favorite vegetable since I was a child. This looks delicious!

The green I can’t stand is kale. No matter how I’ve had it (including kale chips) it’s just bitter and gross. Although in the case of the chips it tasted really good until the seasoning taste went away and I had the bitter aftertaste of that horrid kale.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011 at 1:12 pm

haha..ive had some bad kale in my day too. im happy that the vitamix can at least blend it fully now so I dont have to chew it.

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I love broccoli so I will try this! :D

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Broccoli is a fave of mine so this is a definitely recipe for me to try!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans January 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I’ve been checking out Dals lately and this one takes the cake for the most appetizing and orignal one I’ve seen so far.

Marvellous!

suz January 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm

i love swiss chard (now collards that’s another story). you cut out the stems and chop them up. sautee them in a skillet then add the chopped up leaves. they taste like spinach to me. add any seasonings you like: salt, garlic, pepper, curry etc. then mix them up with some type of grain. they are also good with tomatoes.

if your going to put them in your green monster: juice them first. the juice is good. that’s what i do with all the extra chard i don’t eat. also there are sweeter varieties. try all the different colors. : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm

ive tried cooking it that way several times and no luck. Guess I am just not a chard person!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! January 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Broccoli soup without cheese in it? Now this I have to try!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm

This dish looks so colorful and flavorful! Never had anything like this, but it look delicious!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Yum! This has so many things I love… broccoli, lentils, Indian spices… definitely on my list to try :)

As much as I love kale, broccoli and spinach, I’m also so-so about swiss chard, and collards… they’re kinda yucky. But I eat them sometimes because they’re good for me!!

xo

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm

this looks delicious! the lentils add great protein and texture to this i’m sure!

Tracy January 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm

That sounds yummy. I don’t know why the line about the mustard seed popping and hitting you in the eye had me LMAO. But I’m glad your eye is okay!! :)

melissa daams January 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm

well, i love broccoli and red lentils so this looks like a recipe for me!

Angela, I wanted to tell you that i’m awarding you the one lovely blog award over at sweet rolls that rock. I just loved your take on the pumpkin pie cinnamon rolls you did a few months back. such lovely ideas. http://sweet-rolls-that-rock.blogspot.com/2011/01/one-lovely-blog-award.html

also, i just like a lot of the stuff you post on here. i follow you all the time – in my google reader, therefore, you may not see all my likes and stars. but i wanted to comment here and let you know today – your blog is appreciated ;)

melissa

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Thanks Melissa!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Oh your 1st line about recipes that you think just cant sound good…yea, most of what i read in the sphere sounds meh? at best. Shhh, don’t tell anyone :)

I love your dal!!! First, b/c it uses NO CURRY and NO GARLIC…I am just not a fan. I know, crazy, huh. Omg that is just amazing you cooked this without them… thank you :) And i do LOVE garam masala. I dig that!

And just yesterday i posted about ethnic cuisine and things i wanted to make more of at home…indian food, sans curry and garlic was the 1st thing on my list! you are a mindreader :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm

YUM! My irish Godmother makes broccoli soup, but I’ve never had a version with lentils!

Doc (The Healthy PhD) January 6, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I can’t believe you don’t like swiss chard! It’s my favorite….oh well, your broccoli dahl is so beautiful, I’ll forgive you ;)

Julie (A Case of the Runs) January 6, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Isn’t chard a Southern (US) staple? I guessing most sautee it with oil and bacon… but maybe you have a chemical sensitivity to the smell of chard. I have similiar sensitivities to some herbs…

Julie January 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm

You’ve been making and sharing the BEST recipes lately. I need something to ‘flush’ my system and i’ll definitely be making this tonight!!!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 6, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I love spicy soups and broccoli! The more your nose runs the better :) I will need to try this because my mom and I have been searching for a vegan broccoli soup for a while. Thanks for the recipe!

Marina January 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I love broccoli, and recently, I fell in love with lentils. I bet this is awesome!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I love broccoli, and I love lentils, so I suspect this dish cold be a winner in our house!!!

Jazz January 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I could have warned you about those pesky mustard seeds, I am still cleaning some out of my carpet from last night!

Lina January 6, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Swiss Chard is the best! I buy the red stalked one, I find it a bit sweeter. I cut off the stalks chop them into pieces and saute them with eggplant, garlic and onion. Then I chop up the leaves and cook it all down with a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, and spice it up with lots of italian spices. ITs delicious!

Lisa Fine - lisasfoods January 6, 2011 at 5:38 pm

That’s so funny – I made vegan Indian food for dinner last night, including a delicious dal! (Mine didn’t have broccoli in it, but the curry I made did.) The rice is in the cooker right now so we can have leftovers for dinner tonight. :)

Moni'sMeals January 6, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Fantastic Recipe…as usual.
Perfect this time of year too!

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I wasn’t too hungry until NOW! :) Looks yummy!

Katie January 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I love love indian food – espeically dal. I’ve never had it with broccolli, but why not?

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Mmmm this looks great! I am a HUGE veggie fan and really do love broccoli now. Like you I didn’t enjoy it so much as a wee one ;)

xxoo

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 6, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I could definitely use some spicy Indian food in my life! Great job :)

maria @ Chasing the Now January 6, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I’ve been craving some good broccoli soup. I am going to try making something similar to this soon–maybe with quinoa instead?

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy January 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm

The perfect winter time recipe to keep me warm in Colorado!

Faith @ lovelyascharged January 6, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I love how spicy foods totally clear out your sinuses. Wasabi is great for that!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Looks yummy and healthy! I love anything that can help prevent a cold :)

Jackie January 6, 2011 at 7:42 pm

You’ve mentioned several times recently that you didn’t use to eat vegetables at all- you had a total aversion to them. And now you love them and put them in everything! I’m still stuck in the former stage. Would you consider doing a post about how you overcame The Fear of All Things Green (or Other Vegetable Colors)? Maybe with a few starter recipes that won’t scare those of use still dealing with The Fear?

Marie-Journey to Body Zen January 6, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I love trying things that look not-so-good and then finding out they are oh-so-tasty!

hirsha January 6, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Looks really good! I like broccoli and this one will definitely go on my Must Try list!
I make an Indian-style curry combining broccoli and cabbage and a gravy that you might like. Recipe source is

Elizabeth @ elizathon January 6, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Can you believe I actually have all the ingredients for this in my kitchen RIGHT NOW?!? I do! I swear! Look out family, we are having soup tomorrow night.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 6, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Broccoli is one of my favourite veggies, so this sounds GREAT!!!!

Hannah January 6, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I so adore your healthy vegan main dishes… and yet when I make it to the kitchen, I always seem to end up making your desserts. Why is that? :P

Kate January 6, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Hi Angela,

I think this recipe might change your thoughts on Swiss Chard – seriously! It’s called Spicy Sun-Dried Tomato Soup with White Beans and Swiss Chard. It’s simple, seasonal, healthy, and delicious.

Enjoy!
Kate

Laural January 6, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I totally made this tonight and substituted cauliflower for broccoli because that’s what I had on hand. Delicious….and amazingly spicy :) Thanks for the dish!

Alyssa January 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm

So excited to make this!!! I love when you do Indian recipes!!

Candice @ChiaSeedMe January 6, 2011 at 11:28 pm

It’s so funny to me that you don’t like swiss chard because I love it it sauteed in a little bit of oil with sea salt. Many times this summer my grocery store didn’t have it, and I would have loved to have taken yours off your hands!

Sadly I don’t really like Indian flavors, but this soup looks beautiful!

Sportsgirl January 7, 2011 at 1:00 am

Re: Chard…that’s why having a bunny rabbit is awesome; she loves chard and gobbles it up for me. I don’t mind it myself though, but she eats it more than I do.
I loooove broccoli. I have a recipe for a curried lentil soup that I love too, but it is a spinach curried lentil soup. You know, I bet you could put your chard in this and it would work well!

Sportsgirl January 7, 2011 at 1:08 am

Me again

have you ever tried chard with onions, garlic & coconut cream?

thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 7, 2011 at 3:27 am

Haha naw, If i think to myself a recipe sounds gross/off/odd, there’s a very small change I’ll try it ;)

Mel January 7, 2011 at 4:16 am

I love indian food such as Dal! I juice broccoli a lot so soup is an easy option for me. The thing about spicey food is it certainly warms you up in this cold weather so Im definitly giving it a go

Marit January 7, 2011 at 5:30 am

What a brilliant idea!
question: if you cook it in so it becomes like a dahl stew, will that work?
i’ve got some Naan breads and been trying to think of something to have with them…
also
being as you are a keen indian-cooking enthusiast i’d love to reccomend trying Saag-dishes. spinach with varius additions
Palak Paneer is a fave of mine (the cheese can be exchanged for chickpeas, tofu or potatoes.)

Ingredients
250 grams paneer (Indian cheese,tofu, chickpeas)
2 bunches of palak
3 medium sized onions (finely chopped)
2 medium size tomatoes (finely chopped) OR tomato puree as per convenience
2 green chillies (slit into half)
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ ginger paste
½ garlic paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp chana masala
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Cream for garnish (coconutcream or soy natural yoghurt works really well too)

Steps
1. Cook the palak (spinach) for about 5 minutes in boiling water and chop it to “forksize bites” after it is cold.

2. Cut the paneer into small cubes and deep fry in oil till light golden brown

3. Heat the oil in a Kadhai/non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. Wait till it crackles and ensure that it does not burn. Add the chopped onions and green chillies and sauté till the onions are golden brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for another minute. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and the chana masala powder and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes/tomato puree and stir till the oil separates.

4. Add the palak paste to this mixture along with 1 cup water.(Tip: You can use the water used for cooking the spinach)

5. Add the paneer, garam masala, sugar and salt and cook till you start to see the gravy bubbling. If the gravy seems a bit dry, you can add some more water.

4. Garnish with some cream in the end

Enjoy
It will be a pleasure following you!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes January 7, 2011 at 6:38 am

This looks crazy delicious and great for blocked sinuses…BONUS! :)

Lou January 7, 2011 at 8:03 am

that looks great! :)
oh and i was wondering… how did u start ur blog? did u use wordpress / blogger or? because i really want to start one but all the ones that are domain requires to pay :/

laura January 7, 2011 at 9:15 am

Love broccoli, so I will be sure to try this — thanks!
Weight Watchers has a vegetable soup that uses Swiss Chard — the ONLY place I’ve found I like it. Otherwise, it’s really unappealing…

Camille January 7, 2011 at 9:20 am

I think it looks incredible! Broccoli? Check. Indian food? Double check. There is no way to lose!

MaryBe January 7, 2011 at 9:29 am

I need to get some tumeric and cumin! I am missing out on so many great recipes. I have the garam masala and use it on everything including popcorn ha

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 7, 2011 at 9:31 am

I’ve been craving dal for days.. and now I have to make it!! Thanks for posting this. Yum!

Liza Jane January 7, 2011 at 11:00 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who hates Swiss Chard. No matter what I do it always just tastes bitter and gross, but people keep telling me how much they love it. I gave up, so now I just sub in spinch if I see it in a recipe.

[email protected] Sweet Life January 7, 2011 at 11:20 am

Your photographs and meals are looking better and better–truly professional quality. What an inspiration you are to all of your readers–as someone following her dream, making it work while coloring outside the lines, and finding balance. Kudos to you!

Brandi January 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

I’ve been eyeing that Broccoli Dal recipe in Vegan Yum Yum for a while now, but I have yet to make it! I guess I need to get of my lazy butt and make it. I think I’ll try the book’s version and then maybe yours. They both sound fantastic! Since I rather quite like broccoli in soups.

Stacy Miller January 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Great post thanks for sharing. I really enjoy your blog very much. Excellent content!

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life January 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I love broccoli soup! And lentils. And Indian food. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm

me too…im craving it NOW!

Melinda January 7, 2011 at 12:19 pm

It looks really good, but then again I love all things broccoli.

Michele January 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I just made this – it’s on my stove right now. It’s delicious I couldn’t wait to sneak a taste. Love your blog. You are an inspiration.

Lauren January 7, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Wow this sounds delicious! I’ve never made (or even had) dal before but I have most of these ingredients. On my next trip to the health food store I’ll have to get some lentils and give this a shot!

On another note, I made your pumpkin butter recipe for myself and for my brother for Christmas. It is amazing. Yum!

C January 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm

you said: “I’m still bitter over how many times we found Swiss Chard in our CSA box over the summer. ” bitter! ha ha. I was forced to eat chard at summer camp, and it made me unhappy, though I like most greens now, so I should try it again. I love dal and I expect I would like this recipe. Yellow lentils, if you try them, are superb, BTW, and high in iron.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2011 at 11:00 pm

good to know…ill have to keep on the look out!

Liana @ femme fraiche January 8, 2011 at 6:50 am

You just put all of my favourite ingredients into one! I love Indian spices…sounds delish!

Sara January 8, 2011 at 10:58 am

Loved the taste, texture wasn’t for me. If this is you, an immersion blender can work wonders. Thanks!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan January 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Just made this for dinner and it was a hit. Funny how I have this book, but never bookmarked the recipe…then YOU make it, and I find myself whipping it up immediately! :)

Nicole January 9, 2011 at 1:06 am

Wow, that looks delicious! I love Indian spices. I would have never thought to make a broccoli dal!

kristine January 9, 2011 at 10:11 am

Just made this! I got a TON more than 4-5 cups… :S Not sure why ??

Amazing soup!

Elizabeth @ elizathon January 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I made this recipe last night. I used green lentils instead of red, and I used ground mustard (1 teaspoon) instead of 2 teaspoons mustard seeds. I also needed to let it cook about 30 minutes longer than you recommended for the lentils to cook. But other than that I followed the recipe exactly. It turned out really good…I mean REALLY good. You cannot taste the broccoli at all, and it was spicy, but not too spicy. Filling and satisfying. I actually had homemade vegetable broth that I had made (and froze) the week before so I was happy to have a chance to use it. I give the recipe 5 out of 5 stars. :-) Just wanted to give you some feedback.

Suzanne January 11, 2011 at 8:05 am

My husband made this last night and we loved it! So comforting and healthy. Next time we decided we would try lime instead of lemon and some chopped coriander on top before serving.
It’s a keeper, thank you x

Sarah January 14, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I just made this recipe for my decidedly non-vegan family and it turned out uuh-mazing! I never would have thought about putting broccoli in the recipe, but the texture was just right.
I didn’t put in any almond milk and added sumac in addition to the other spices.

Thanks for the inspiration, Angela!

Jessica January 20, 2011 at 1:58 pm

We made this and so delish! Thank you.

Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul February 2, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I’m looking forward to making this soon!

Vegolicious February 3, 2011 at 6:03 am

Your dal looks delicious and healthy too. I love that you’ve provided step by step instructions.

I’d love for your to submit them to Vegolicious, a vegetarian food photo gallery where readers can browse beautiful photos to discover new recipes and wonderful blogs. If you would like to share this recipe with our readers please submit a photo along with a link to this post.

Chrissy April 19, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Really awesome soup!!! Will be on the rotation from now on :)

Lisa K April 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Fulfilled d’all my dreams in Southern Ontario.. thanks!

shannon May 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Random, but I came across this recipe the other day and decided to make it. and it was absolutely delicious!! thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

glad to hear that!

Michelle November 3, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Just made this and it was absolutely incredible! The almond milk added a level of creaminess that mirrors the richness of coconut milk and other creams. Thank you for this! What a perfect dish for a cold night in San Francisco. =)

Anne January 7, 2013 at 3:39 pm

made that yesterday as a lunch for school this week and I have to admit it looks a little funky but it tastes really good. I couldn’t find any red lentils so i went with normal ones and I also couldn’t find that marsala you where asking for, so I went with marsala tikka and i have a feeling the one you are asking for would make it taste even better!!! thank you for your great recipes! Love Love LOVE them!!!

Erica January 30, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I love this recipe! I have made it several times and my husband and 18 month old son gobble it up. Thank you so much for sharing! I was wondering what kind of bouillon you use. I have tried several brands and have yet to find one that I like.

Jennifer February 27, 2013 at 11:27 am

Hi, Angela
I’m new to the whole Vegan thing; I just started a little over a month ago. I am cooking Vegan for me and non-Vegan for my husband and 5 kids. I’ve tried a bunch of your recipes already and every one has been amazing! So far I’ve tried the mac and cheeze, the broccoli and cheeze soup, the roasted tomato pesto, and the green monster. I just finished making this soup for my dinner tonight. It is fabulous! I can’t wait until dinner. Thanks for all of your help making my switch so easy and delicious. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 27, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Hey Jennifer, Thanks for your lovely comment and for trying out so many recipes! I appreciate your feedback so much.

Camille February 28, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Hi, I just made this recipe tonight and it is very tasty. However, it did not turn out nearly as creamy or yellow as yours.It was much more brothy even though I only used the 4.5 cups of vegetable broth that you suggest in the recipe. Any ideas why it lacked the creaminess?

Theresa March 23, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Eating this right now. So tasty!

Alex July 5, 2013 at 2:28 am

THIS WAS AMAZING!!! Thankyou so much for the recipe, hands down my favourite soup ever!

Amy August 4, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Hi Angela,

Instead of saying this looks great, I’m saying it is great!!!
I just made it and it is so tasty and spicy, thanks for posting this.
I love your site and I’m thrilled about your new book, good for you and Congratulations!
Keep the great stuff and vibes coming.

pspmags December 23, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This was amazing!!! Left out the chili flakes but otherwise followed the recipe to a T.
Was well received and got requests for the recipe. I’m not vegan and I loved it!
Thank you for sharing.

Robin January 24, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Love this!! I woke up this morning and had the strangest craving to cook a lentil dish and came straight to your blog because I just knew you’d have something great. I didn’t have much broccoli in the fridge so I supplemented with cauliflower and then threw in a few handfuls of spinach at the end.

The combination of spices is wonderful and I love the texture of the dish! The lemon juice is definitely essential. Can’t wait to serve this for dinner.

Gina @ Walk to the Mailbox January 28, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I made this tonight and it was amazing! I did use green lentils because they’re all my grocery had (polar vortex kept me from getting to whole foods). I enjoyed the texture very much but have nothing to compare it to! Also, I used canned light coconut milk in place of almond milk. Fabulous recipe!!!!!!

Jen P February 4, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I just made this tonight and O freaking MG it is so good!

Marta May 22, 2014 at 6:04 am

I’ve just cooked this soup, but doesn’t taste very much. Maybe next time I should try it without mustard. It makes there some strange flavour.

Elizabeth September 21, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Made this tonight. DELICIOUS!

Rebecca May 26, 2015 at 10:34 am

Hi Angela, I love your blog and cookbook (that I got for Christmas). I am definitely gonna try your Brokkoli-Dal in the next days. Had to laugh about your enthusiasm for Swiss Chard. I had the same attitude until I learned the simplest and super delicious way to prepare it from my boyfriends italian mum. It’s essentially just steaming the Swiss chard until soft, put into a bowl, add good amounts of fresh lemon juice, olive oil and salt, mix… tadaaa finito. It makes an amazing green side to any mediterranian dish =)
Keep up with this great and inspiring blog!

Fawn July 2, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Loved this! There’s a local coffee shop near my work and they make soups daily from scratch, and of them is an awesome broccoli dal. They post the ingredient list but I never have time to write it down; I do remember they used coconut milk so that is what I put in (used light version). Also, I just chopped the broccoli and threw them in, then used an immersion blender at the end to make it creamy. I accidentally added too much water so it was quite liquidy but still delicious! Thanks for posting.

Casey September 15, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Mine didn’t look nearly as colorful and beautiful but it tasted darn good :) and easier than I thought too

Ann October 20, 2015 at 3:14 am

I have made this easy peasy dal quite a few times and it is absolutely delicious! My carnivore partner loves it and it is his favourite lunch. I have tweaked the recipe a bit, like a few other readers I am substituting the milk for half a can of light coconut milk and instead of the blender (it takes such a long time to clean it!) I just finely chop the broccoli.The colour is wonderful and the texture is perfect.

Highland Fashionista January 29, 2016 at 3:54 pm

This was absolutely delicious. my lentils were a little thin on the ground (barely had a cup), so I cut back some of the milk. I used coconut oil, and also added a handful of fresh curry leaves that insist on falling off of my neighbour’s plant that I am supposedly “taking care of” while he is in Asia. I am an inherently lazy cook, and would eat the same salad every day if left to my own devices. Your site keeps me right…I have yet to make something from your site that has not turned out and been delicious!

Natalie February 20, 2016 at 2:13 am

This turned out really well. I’m annoyed I don’t have more to eat. I didn’t add lemon or milk and I used curry powder instead of garam masala and just a pinch of cumin with some added frozen corn and peas. Despite my inability to follow a recipe it turned out great. I cooked it a little long so the red lentil just melted into a thick sauce for the veggies. Yummy.

Angela Liddon February 22, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Yum, Natalie! Your recipe tweaks sound delicious. I’m glad you enjoyed the dish!

Ambika May 10, 2016 at 10:07 pm
Recipe Rating:

This is soooo gooood! I have made it twice already. My family loves it.

Alyssa June 4, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Recipe Rating:

Absolutely delicious! I’ll definitely be making this one again :)

Sharon July 27, 2016 at 1:15 pm
Recipe Rating:

This is such a comfort meal! Really tasty and perfect with rice or potatoes as a meal for dinner. I have frozen this in portions and I am really enjoying it. 5 stars for sure!

Angela Liddon July 27, 2016 at 1:41 pm

I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying the dal, Sharon! :)

michelle October 9, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Hi Angela,

It looks like this recipe has a bit different directions if you read the step by step at the top versus the directions along with pictures, such as adding the milk before you cook versus after its cooked for 20 min. Maybe I’m reading it wrong? Which version should I follow?

Thanks!

Sharon T October 18, 2016 at 5:05 pm
Recipe Rating:

Ah-mazing! Felt a bit of a cold coming on and this nipped it in the bud! Delish! Love all the ingredients and so easy to make! This will be on our rotation for sure! Thanks for all your recipes!

Angela Liddon October 20, 2016 at 8:58 am

I’m so happy to hear it helped stave off that cold, Sharon! And, of course, that you enjoyed the recipe, to boot ;) Wishing you a healthy fall season!!

Antonia January 19, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Truly delicious. I have lived in Asia for 15 years and wa so lucky to visit India numerous times. This soup reminds me of the beautiful people and their food in India. I added some extra curry powder for more heat. Yummm. Thanks Angela

Angela Liddon January 20, 2017 at 2:16 pm

I’m so pleased to hear you enjoyed it, Antonia! :)

Melissa January 28, 2017 at 4:30 am
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight – it’s the first recipe of yours I’ve tried and it worked out really well, so thank you, Angela! I have a naughty habit of tinkering with recipes and I added a can of corn kernels and a small diced eggplant. I also used 1 each of long green and red chillis instead of chilli flakes. Increased amounts of every thing else accordingly and it came out sooo tasty! So many freezer meals =)

Angela Liddon January 30, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Thanks for sharing those great additions you made, Melissa! I love experimenting in the kitchen, too, and it’s always so great to hear about the twists readers add to my recipes. :)

Hannah July 8, 2017 at 11:45 am

Great! I’ve been eating this with rice and samosas and it makes a wonderfully comforting meal! My body feels good after eating so thanks for this!

Angela Liddon July 10, 2017 at 9:03 am

So happy to hear you (and your body!) are loving the dish, Hannah :) Thanks for taking the time to let me know!

Betsy February 23, 2018 at 2:56 pm

A note for the chard haters:
Swiss chard contains oxalic acid, which has an unpleasant taste. If you boil it uncovered for three minutes to get rid of that acid, it tastes mild and a little bit sweet (especially the fat stems of the white-stemmed variety, which take an extra two minutes of boiling — but don’t overdo the boiling time or they lose flavor and the texture deteriorates). I got the instructions from The World’s Healthiest Foods website (although I eat it warm with just a bit of Smart Balance) here – well down on this informational page:
If you haven’t tried boiling it, you might give this vegetable another try to see if you like it that way.

jodey March 29, 2018 at 3:04 am

Is it just me but the written instructions are different from the visual ones??

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2018 at 9:29 am

Hey Jodey, Yes it’s possible! I updated this recipe recently for the app. Whenever in doubt please follow the written recipe directions. :)

Darci Shook-Woolley May 4, 2018 at 7:56 pm

This is excellent! I didn’t have mustard seeds, and I used a can of coconut cream that is NOT light. My husband also loves this. Next time, I will have mustard seeds on hand. Thanks for this fantastic recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2018 at 2:06 pm

mmm good call on using full fat coconut milk…never a bad idea! :) So glad you both loved it.