Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal

IMG_8346

Do you ever read over a recipe and you say to yourself, there is no way that this can possibly taste good, but for some reason you just have to try it for yourself?

Yea, story of my life.

That is how the Green Monster happened, after all. [If you are curious to read ‘The story of the Green Monster’, see my post here.]

Anyways, I did not expect this Broccoli Dal would taste as good as it does. I came across this recipe in my Vegan Yum Yum Cookbook and I thought to myself, ‘How in the world could a broccoli soup taste good?’

I guess I still have broccoli issues that stem back to my childhood…

IMG_8302

So of course, I made the soup. I’m really not afraid of Green things anymore.

IMG_8301

Well, except Swiss Chard.

I’ve tried cooking chard many different ways and I still don’t ever see myself enjoying it. I’m still bitter over how many times we found Swiss Chard in our CSA box over the summer. If you ever find yourself in desperation to use up Swiss Chard that is stinking up your fridge, do not attempt to put Swiss Chard into a Green Monster. That’s all I’m going to say.

I still have nightmares of dirty gym socks.

Thankfully this soup is nothing like dirty gym socks. I was drawn to this soup because it has awesome cold-busting ingredients 1) Greens, 2) Indian spices. It will also clear your sinuses and flush out your body. Just trust me on this one!

Besides that, it tastes incredible.

The first time I made it, I followed the recipe to a tee and I loved it. The second time I made it, I had some new ideas and I changed some things around. I actually love it both ways. Today, I will share with you the adapted version…just have a tissue box ready when you eat it!

IMG_8337

5 from 5 reviews

Energizing Broccoli Dal

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

This unique spin on dal packs in a ton of green broccoli power! You'll feel energized by this light, and incredibly flavourful dish. This recipe is inspired by the Vegan Yum Yum Cookbook by Lauren Ulm.

Yield
5 cups
Prep Time
Cook time

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 to 5 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets (from 1 large head)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
  • 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
  • 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
  • 1 cup uncooked red lentils
  • Fine sea salt, to taste (I used just over 1 teaspoon)
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala spice mix (I love Arvinda's brand)
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
  • Paprika, to garnish
  • Naan bread, for serving
  • Lemon wedges, for serving

Directions:

1. Add the oil into a large saucepan and increase the heat to low-medium so the oil can preheat.
  2. Add the broccoli into a food processor and process until very finely chopped (about the size of rice grains).
  3. Add the cumin and mustard seeds into the saucepan with the oil. The seeds should sizzle and begin popping in the oil right away. As soon as the seeds start to pop, cover the saucepan immediately with a lid, and remove the saucepan from the heat source. Let sit until the seeds stop popping, then remove the lid and stir.
  4. Stir in the onion, and place the saucepan back over medium heat. Cook for 3 to 4 more minutes until the onion softens.
  5. Now, add the finely chopped broccoli, broth, entire can of coconut milk, lentils, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garam masala, turmeric, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
  6. Increase heat to high and bring to a low bowl. Reduce heat to medium, cover with lid, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Now remove the lid and stir, and continue simmering, uncovered, for another 10 minutes, until the lentils soften and the mixture thickens. Stir every now and then to make sure it doesn't stick.
  7. Stir in the lemon juice to taste.
  8. Ladle the dal into bowls and serve with naan bread or pita bread. Garnish with paprika and a lemon wedge, if desired.

IMG_8310

Add oil to a large saucepan over low-medium heat and add in the uncooked red lentils, chopped sweet onion, ground cumin, and mustard seeds.

IMG_8318

Cook on low-medium heat for about 6-9 minutes until the mustard seeds start popping a bit and the onion is tender.

Be careful because the mustard seeds will POP!! One hit me in the eye! It was quite hilarious, but only after I realized that I would not go blind like I thought.

Now prep the broccoli. I shaved some stems and also used the florets. Roughly chop the broccoli to make about 4.5 cups packed.

IMG_8308

Now add the chopped broccoli into a food processor and process until very fine.

IMG_8309

Like so.

IMG_8315

Add in the vegetable broth and broccoli into the saucepan.

IMG_8320

Stir well. Cook this mixture, covered if preferred, for about 20 minutes over low-medium heat, checking it often. Add kosher salt to taste.

IMG_8321

I added a bit of water as the soup got thick while cooking.

IMG_8322

After 20 minutes, add in the milk, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, red pepper flakes, and additional salt (to taste) if necessary.

IMG_8325

Heat on low until the lentils are cooked through, about 7-10 more minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve with paprika and lemon wedges.

IMG_8337

Prepare yourself for a spicy, incredibly delicious, creamy Broccoli soup with an Indian flare. Despite what I anticipated, the soup does not have a strong ‘broccoli’ taste at all. It is very mild and barely detectable.

IMG_8344

Just have a tissue handy because this soup will flush out your system! I think it was the first time in a week that Eric could breathe through both nostrils…

Page 4 of 4«1234
Melissa January 28, 2017
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight – it’s the first recipe of yours I’ve tried and it worked out really well, so thank you, Angela! I have a naughty habit of tinkering with recipes and I added a can of corn kernels and a small diced eggplant. I also used 1 each of long green and red chillis instead of chilli flakes. Increased amounts of every thing else accordingly and it came out sooo tasty! So many freezer meals =)

Angela Liddon January 30, 2017

Thanks for sharing those great additions you made, Melissa! I love experimenting in the kitchen, too, and it’s always so great to hear about the twists readers add to my recipes. :)

Antonia January 19, 2017

Truly delicious. I have lived in Asia for 15 years and wa so lucky to visit India numerous times. This soup reminds me of the beautiful people and their food in India. I added some extra curry powder for more heat. Yummm. Thanks Angela

Angela Liddon January 20, 2017

I’m so pleased to hear you enjoyed it, Antonia! :)

Sharon T October 18, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Ah-mazing! Felt a bit of a cold coming on and this nipped it in the bud! Delish! Love all the ingredients and so easy to make! This will be on our rotation for sure! Thanks for all your recipes!

Angela Liddon October 20, 2016

I’m so happy to hear it helped stave off that cold, Sharon! And, of course, that you enjoyed the recipe, to boot ;) Wishing you a healthy fall season!!

michelle October 9, 2016

Hi Angela,

It looks like this recipe has a bit different directions if you read the step by step at the top versus the directions along with pictures, such as adding the milk before you cook versus after its cooked for 20 min. Maybe I’m reading it wrong? Which version should I follow?

Thanks!

Sharon July 27, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This is such a comfort meal! Really tasty and perfect with rice or potatoes as a meal for dinner. I have frozen this in portions and I am really enjoying it. 5 stars for sure!

Angela Liddon July 27, 2016

I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying the dal, Sharon! :)

Alyssa June 4, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Absolutely delicious! I’ll definitely be making this one again :)

Ambika May 10, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This is soooo gooood! I have made it twice already. My family loves it.

Natalie February 20, 2016

This turned out really well. I’m annoyed I don’t have more to eat. I didn’t add lemon or milk and I used curry powder instead of garam masala and just a pinch of cumin with some added frozen corn and peas. Despite my inability to follow a recipe it turned out great. I cooked it a little long so the red lentil just melted into a thick sauce for the veggies. Yummy.

Angela Liddon February 22, 2016

Yum, Natalie! Your recipe tweaks sound delicious. I’m glad you enjoyed the dish!

Highland Fashionista January 29, 2016

This was absolutely delicious. my lentils were a little thin on the ground (barely had a cup), so I cut back some of the milk. I used coconut oil, and also added a handful of fresh curry leaves that insist on falling off of my neighbour’s plant that I am supposedly “taking care of” while he is in Asia. I am an inherently lazy cook, and would eat the same salad every day if left to my own devices. Your site keeps me right…I have yet to make something from your site that has not turned out and been delicious!

Ann October 20, 2015

I have made this easy peasy dal quite a few times and it is absolutely delicious! My carnivore partner loves it and it is his favourite lunch. I have tweaked the recipe a bit, like a few other readers I am substituting the milk for half a can of light coconut milk and instead of the blender (it takes such a long time to clean it!) I just finely chop the broccoli.The colour is wonderful and the texture is perfect.

Casey September 15, 2015

Mine didn’t look nearly as colorful and beautiful but it tasted darn good :) and easier than I thought too

Fawn July 2, 2015

Loved this! There’s a local coffee shop near my work and they make soups daily from scratch, and of them is an awesome broccoli dal. They post the ingredient list but I never have time to write it down; I do remember they used coconut milk so that is what I put in (used light version). Also, I just chopped the broccoli and threw them in, then used an immersion blender at the end to make it creamy. I accidentally added too much water so it was quite liquidy but still delicious! Thanks for posting.

Rebecca May 26, 2015

Hi Angela, I love your blog and cookbook (that I got for Christmas). I am definitely gonna try your Brokkoli-Dal in the next days. Had to laugh about your enthusiasm for Swiss Chard. I had the same attitude until I learned the simplest and super delicious way to prepare it from my boyfriends italian mum. It’s essentially just steaming the Swiss chard until soft, put into a bowl, add good amounts of fresh lemon juice, olive oil and salt, mix… tadaaa finito. It makes an amazing green side to any mediterranian dish =)
Keep up with this great and inspiring blog!

Elizabeth September 21, 2014

Made this tonight. DELICIOUS!

Marta May 22, 2014

I’ve just cooked this soup, but doesn’t taste very much. Maybe next time I should try it without mustard. It makes there some strange flavour.

Jen P February 4, 2014

I just made this tonight and O freaking MG it is so good!

Gina @ Walk to the Mailbox January 28, 2014

I made this tonight and it was amazing! I did use green lentils because they’re all my grocery had (polar vortex kept me from getting to whole foods). I enjoyed the texture very much but have nothing to compare it to! Also, I used canned light coconut milk in place of almond milk. Fabulous recipe!!!!!!

Robin January 24, 2014

Love this!! I woke up this morning and had the strangest craving to cook a lentil dish and came straight to your blog because I just knew you’d have something great. I didn’t have much broccoli in the fridge so I supplemented with cauliflower and then threw in a few handfuls of spinach at the end.

The combination of spices is wonderful and I love the texture of the dish! The lemon juice is definitely essential. Can’t wait to serve this for dinner.

pspmags December 23, 2013

This was amazing!!! Left out the chili flakes but otherwise followed the recipe to a T.
Was well received and got requests for the recipe. I’m not vegan and I loved it!
Thank you for sharing.

Amy August 4, 2013

Hi Angela,

Instead of saying this looks great, I’m saying it is great!!!
I just made it and it is so tasty and spicy, thanks for posting this.
I love your site and I’m thrilled about your new book, good for you and Congratulations!
Keep the great stuff and vibes coming.

Alex July 5, 2013

THIS WAS AMAZING!!! Thankyou so much for the recipe, hands down my favourite soup ever!

Theresa March 23, 2013

Eating this right now. So tasty!