My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

IMG 8273b thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

IMG 9212 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I think Mother Nature was reading my blog post yesterday and decided to play a trick on me.

I woke up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning. It is gorgeous out there right now! No more grass for this town.

IMG 9211 2 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Eric has been asking me to make homemade granola for a few weeks now, and I finally got around to it. I always forget how much I love making granola.

IMG 8258 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

The smell of the fresh granola coming out of the oven is intoxicating, as I sneak bites knowing full well that I am going to burn my tongue, but it tastes too good to wait for it to cool.

And that first bowl of granola with almond milk poured over top…well nothing beats it.

IMG 8282 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I’ve made Power House Glonola before, but I wanted to improve upon the recipe and see what I could come up with. I doubt I will ever make the same recipe twice!

IMG 8269 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

The first thing you do is gather your wet ingredients…

IMG 8205b thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I always admire my brown sugar when it comes out of the measuring cup like that!

IMG 8208 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Stir well in a saucepan.

IMG 8210 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Heat over medium.

IMG 8211 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently.

While the wet mixture is simmering, grab your dry ingredients.

IMG 8202 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

For the nuts and seeds, I used 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup sesame seeds, 1/2 cup walnuts, and 1 cup of almonds. All raw. I roughly chopped the walnuts and almonds, but you still want mostly large pieces.

Oats, sweetened coconut flakes, kosher salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground flax.

IMG 8213 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Mix all of the dry ingredients together…

IMG 8216 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. It will be very thick and sticky, but keep at it until it is thoroughly mixed. You can do this!

IMG 8218 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Now we’re talking!

IMG 8219 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Grab a spoon and shove into mouth.

That is some good granola.

Spread onto a baking sheet…

IMG 8220 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Bake for 45 minutes at 300F, stirring every 10-15 minutes to ensure even baking.

Voila!

IMG 8253 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

As the granola cools it will firm up. The result is a crisp granola, but the clumps did not hold together. Next time, I will add another tablespoon of brown rice syrup in hopes of increasing the clump factor!

Allow to cool for about 30 minutes.

Now stir in your dried fruit. I added 1/3 cup raisins and 1/3 cup dried cranberries. I also decided to toss in some pepita seeds for colour.

IMG 8258 thumb1   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Lovely.

Just lovely.

IMG 8260 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Grab a 2 litre bell jar.

IMG 8235 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

That’ll do.

IMG 8237 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

It fits perfectly!

IMG 8267 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!) IMG 8264 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

This granola makes a wonderful gift too. Valentine’s Day, perhaps? Maybe there are some men reading whose girlfriends/wives would like some…

That would be so romantic, wouldn’t it?

IMG 8273 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I’m here for you girls.

Now pour yourself a bowl and enjoy with some of your favourite milk. I love it with Vanilla Almond Milk and a tablespoon of hemp seeds tossed in for some protein.

IMG 8279 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

It is just the perfect winter breakfast.

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed January 4, 2011

This looks delicious!! Great recipe. I love the valentines idea too – thanks for looking out for us :)
Heidi xo

Embodying Freedom January 4, 2011

Looks awesome–also I meant to congratulate you earlier on reaching over 1.1 million views on your blog! You’re a success (as if you weren’t before!)!

Hannah January 4, 2011

This looks fabulous, and I fully intend to make it, but I don’t think my heart will ever stop giving first place to a granola I made (and posted on my blog), which was intensely flavoured and dark with spices, dried figs, and blackstrap molasses… Oh, now I’m craving both mine and yours!!

Mona G. March 6, 2014

Hi Hannah,
Would you share your granola recipe with us also ? Can it be made into granola bars, and would the ingredients be the same and the cooking time too ? Would love to have it…..I think I will try Angela’s recipe too, but I’d like to make it in bars, so we could take and eat them on the go…..has anyone on here tried this recipe and made the bars ?

Donna January 4, 2011

I am so happy to have found your blog Angela!
I’m loving all the recipes and that you are canadian too so i don’t have to be worry about not finding half the products
Can i ask where you find your nutritional (brewers) yeast? I looked at whole foods in oakville the other day (its about 50 minutes away from me) and i couldn’t find any, sigh
Thanks again for all you share!
Donna :o)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

Hey Donna! Gosh I am surprised that Whole Foods doesn’t have nutritional yeast.
I purchase many of my products from Ontario Natural Food Coop http://www.onfc.ca/ I believe they have a buying club even for the public! Check them out.

Jes (Self Motivation) January 4, 2011

That granola looks DELICIOUS!!!!

Alycia [Fit n Fresh] January 4, 2011

Seriously good! Is there anything else you could use in place of brown rice syrup? I never seem to be able to find it! :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

Honey would work Im sure!

GFree_Miel January 4, 2011

Yum! It looks delicious! I can’t wait to try this.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 4, 2011

That sounds amazing!! I’ve never made homemade granola before but it’s on my list!

Faith @ lovelyascharged January 4, 2011

Haha, I love the brown sugar sandcastles too whenever I bake!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

brown sugar sandcastles….I think that is my favourite analogy ever!

Camille @ La Bella Vita January 4, 2011

Looks so beautiful and delicious!

The Healthy Hostess January 4, 2011

Can’t wait to try this!

carlee January 4, 2011

This recipe looks awesome! I have been looking for a good granola recipe! I think this is the one! I mean it has peanut butter and more and more nuts! and its healthy! Can’t get much better!
Do you even have a clue how many calories per serving?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

No Im sorry I have no clue!

Joanie January 4, 2011

Oh, yum!! That looks really good! I’m going to have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) January 4, 2011

This looks SO delicious!
Would I still get the clumps if I used maple syrup?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

I dont think so…I used maple syrup in my prior recipe and there weren’t any clumps. Such a shame!

Leanne @healthfulpursuit January 4, 2011

Such a beautiful presentation, placing the granola in the jar!

Thank you for reminding me how much I love homemade granola. To make it gluten free I replace the oats with quinoa or rice flakes. It’s not as tasty as the ‘real’ thing, but it’s pretty darn close!

Thanks again for another awesome one!

Kat January 5, 2011

I love homemade granola its so much better than store-bought

Beatrix January 5, 2011

Hmm…homemade granola…so tasty over some non-fat vanilla yogurt.

Jennifer January 5, 2011

mmm your granola sounds awesome!!! I this I will make some this weekend! and i love the “print recipe” button you have!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 5, 2011

I want to make this… although I will probably eat it all in one day :)

Lana January 5, 2011

I just made these and they are amazing!!! Check ‘em out: anotherhealthyhabit.com!

Laura @ Starloz January 5, 2011

angela, holy yums.

Adeline January 5, 2011

I’m eating homemade olive oil granola as we speak! (From that NYT recipe, although I reduced the sugar it was still extremely sweet)

This granola looks delicious, I’ll try making it this weekend! I love toasted, crunchy and not overly sweet granola!

Leia January 5, 2011

I’ve never made my own granola! TOTALLY going to try this. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Today I made sundried tomato pesto: http://www.leiasdelights.com/2011/01/sun-dried-tomato-pesto.html :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes January 5, 2011

yum yum yum! That looks so good!

Lou January 5, 2011

that looks so good.. and colouful! i’ve never made granola… only tried it in healthy bars once actually. can’t wait to try it! and its healthy too! :D

Tessa January 5, 2011

One day, one day Angela I will bake as much as you do. My dream! If only I had more hours in the day. You inspire me

Marina January 5, 2011

I love making my own granola! I’ll definitely make this recipe this week, with maple syrup/honey mix instead of brown syrup. I hope it will clump :D

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 5, 2011

I’ve made homemade granola a few times, but yours looks like it would be even better! Also, I love how it makes six cups. The other recipes that I’ve made only make like 2 cups – they disappeared waaaaaaaay to quickly! :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 5, 2011

LisaG January 5, 2011

I’ve never made homemade granola. You have inspired me to do so. Looks tasty; wish I could reach through the screen!

Ashley January 5, 2011

That looks amazing and way better than store bought.

Ashley @ the fit academic January 5, 2011

homemade granola is the BEST! I love doing homemade granola bars, too! Yum!

Mimi January 5, 2011

i love making granola, too. In fact, I plan on making small jars for favors at my wedding! Wheee!

I’ve never seen a technique of bringing the liquid elements to a simmer. I bet that really helps blend the favors. Yum!

Melinda January 5, 2011

I love all the colors in this granola!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite January 5, 2011

Beautiful! I love using glass jars to pretty-up just about anything! Everything seems more special in them :) I also do agree with the perfect brown sugar – I never want to mix it because it’s so beautifully molded!

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 5, 2011

oh my gosh angela, that looks amazing! i was literally just sitting here about to go grab a snack when i saw this post…now i am craving granola! definitely making this soon :)
london has also been snowy recently – only it’s much less beautiful than yours!

Roz January 5, 2011

Oh my goodness, that looks SOOO good. I bet it tastes better than the “bought” stuff!!! Love the photos as always too!! Have a great day, enjoy the granola!!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella January 5, 2011

I just made this (well, it’s baking now) and I had a really hard time incorporating the liquid into the dry. I made a few subs (canola instead of coconut oil and since I didn’t have any applesauce, I made up for it by using 2 tbsp of agave and 3 tbsp of PB), maybe that’s why? Or maybe I’m just a lazy stirrer! The raw granola still tasted delicious, though!

Christine (The Raw Project) January 5, 2011

Gorgeous snow pics! And the granola looks amazing, beautiful pictures! Thanks!

Heather January 5, 2011

Wow your granola looks fabulous!! You always package so pretty! Do you have the nutritional stats on the granola?

Thank you!