My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

IMG 8273b thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

IMG 9212 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I think Mother Nature was reading my blog post yesterday and decided to play a trick on me.

I woke up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning. It is gorgeous out there right now! No more grass for this town.

IMG 9211 2 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Eric has been asking me to make homemade granola for a few weeks now, and I finally got around to it. I always forget how much I love making granola.

IMG 8258 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

The smell of the fresh granola coming out of the oven is intoxicating, as I sneak bites knowing full well that I am going to burn my tongue, but it tastes too good to wait for it to cool.

And that first bowl of granola with almond milk poured over top…well nothing beats it.

IMG 8282 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I’ve made Power House Glonola before, but I wanted to improve upon the recipe and see what I could come up with. I doubt I will ever make the same recipe twice!

IMG 8269 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

The first thing you do is gather your wet ingredients…

IMG 8205b thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I always admire my brown sugar when it comes out of the measuring cup like that!

IMG 8208 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Stir well in a saucepan.

IMG 8210 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Heat over medium.

IMG 8211 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently.

While the wet mixture is simmering, grab your dry ingredients.

IMG 8202 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

For the nuts and seeds, I used 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup sesame seeds, 1/2 cup walnuts, and 1 cup of almonds. All raw. I roughly chopped the walnuts and almonds, but you still want mostly large pieces.

Oats, sweetened coconut flakes, kosher salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground flax.

IMG 8213 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Mix all of the dry ingredients together…

IMG 8216 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. It will be very thick and sticky, but keep at it until it is thoroughly mixed. You can do this!

IMG 8218 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Now we’re talking!

IMG 8219 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Grab a spoon and shove into mouth.

That is some good granola.

Spread onto a baking sheet…

IMG 8220 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Bake for 45 minutes at 300F, stirring every 10-15 minutes to ensure even baking.

Voila!

IMG 8253 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

As the granola cools it will firm up. The result is a crisp granola, but the clumps did not hold together. Next time, I will add another tablespoon of brown rice syrup in hopes of increasing the clump factor!

Allow to cool for about 30 minutes.

Now stir in your dried fruit. I added 1/3 cup raisins and 1/3 cup dried cranberries. I also decided to toss in some pepita seeds for colour.

IMG 8258 thumb1   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Lovely.

Just lovely.

IMG 8260 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

Grab a 2 litre bell jar.

IMG 8235 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

That’ll do.

IMG 8237 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

It fits perfectly!

IMG 8267 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!) IMG 8264 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

This granola makes a wonderful gift too. Valentine’s Day, perhaps? Maybe there are some men reading whose girlfriends/wives would like some…

That would be so romantic, wouldn’t it?

IMG 8273 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

I’m here for you girls.

Now pour yourself a bowl and enjoy with some of your favourite milk. I love it with Vanilla Almond Milk and a tablespoon of hemp seeds tossed in for some protein.

IMG 8279 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Granola (to date!)

It is just the perfect winter breakfast.

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 4, 2011

This sounds (and looks) heavenly!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 4, 2011

it seems so obvious now, but i never thought to heat the wet ingredients before mixing them in the oats/nuts! over christmas i moade some with PB for the first time and fell inlove.

great addition with the applesauce – granola one of thise where i am always looking for ways to cut back on the sugar. :)

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 4, 2011

Yum! I recently started making my own granola every week instead of buying it at the store and this looks great. I will definitely have to give your recipe a try :)

Lisa @Thrive Style January 4, 2011

I love making granola…and usually tweak each batch a little bit! Yours looks super fabulous—I usually make one that has goji berries and acai pulp in it, and that’s pretty amazing too!

~Lisa

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 4, 2011

PB, Coconut Oil, Agave, Brown Rice, Brown Sugar…omg those are some of my fave things in all of life. There is no way this granola couldnt be amazing with all that included!

I think I could just drink that :)

Great work, Angela!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 4, 2011

That granola looks PERFECT! and if it’s your favorite to date, it must be good! You would know good granola afterall. :P

Nichole January 4, 2011

I have never made granola either but this is so delicious looking. I really love granola and I am sure it is so much better homemade.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 4, 2011

That looks so good. I can almost taste and smell it from the pictures

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 4, 2011

i’ve never had granola with peanut butter in it before…i’m thinking i need to hit that up ASAP!

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 4, 2011

Mmmm, I’ve never made my own granola! But I should after seeing this! :)

Laura @ Backstage Pass January 4, 2011

This looks fantastic! I do love warm granola, fresh from the oven with ice cold almond milk. So wholesome and nutritious, yet decadent!
My boyfriend pretty much melted the last time I made granola. I will have to give your recipe a try soon! Perhaps it would make a lovely homemade Valentine’s Day gift for him? :-)

Katy @ A Healthy Shot January 4, 2011

Everytime I read your blog it’s like you read my mind… I was planning to make granola tonight! I can’t resist the bites straight out of the oven either :)

Jillian @Funny ( allergen-free) Girl January 4, 2011

Hey Angela! Love the recipe! About how much of the Flax, and coconut did you add in there? Also would you mind if I adapted this to fit the needs of my site ( gluten, soy, dairy, corn, an nut free) and posted it there? Promise to give you credit and link back?! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

Of course you can share!
I used 2 tbsp ground flax and 2 tbsp coconut flakes :)

Kelly January 4, 2011

I haven’t made granola in sooo long! This post definitely made me want to try your version. :)

Cathy Breit January 4, 2011

yum! I’m always on the lookout for good granola recipes…this looks wonderful.
love,
cathy b. @ brightbakes

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 4, 2011

I love homemade granola! It’s possibly my most favorite treat to make!

Freya January 4, 2011

What a fantastic and simple gift idea! I’m a big fan of the no-fail edible gifts!

Picky Nicky January 4, 2011

I bet it does smell amazing! I think if I made it, I would add the hemp seeds to the mixture before baking.

Marie-Journey to Body Zen January 4, 2011

I love the jar + ribbon! Super cute :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 4, 2011

I am drooling over here…

I have slowed down on my granola making, since I eat all of it in one day :| Its easy to much on, what can I say ;)

I usually sneak a little chocolate chips into mine to keep it interesting!

The snow is just starting here in Van, and I am so excited!

xxoo

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh January 4, 2011

I LOVE your powerhouse granola, I couldn’t have imagined it getting ANY better!! Can’t wait to try this =]

Aleesha January 4, 2011

I was just saying to my boyfriend (He of the “Garbanzo” nickname, hahaha) that we need to make some granola! He loves granola but has never made it from scratch… sounds like this recipe is now on our to-do list. And BTW, if he made me granola for Valentine’s Day I would fall even more in love. Granted, he did buy me the CUTEST apron (brown with pink polka dots!) for Christmas, so he’s already a keeper. ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

Oh those nicknames toy with my heart ;)
Your apron sounds alot like the new one my sis got me for Xmas…
Is it like this one? http://ohsheglows.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/IMG_45081.jpg

Mandy January 4, 2011

That looks so yummy! I’m usually lazy and buy granola, but you’ve given me faith in doing it myself!

jenny eats nutella from a spoon January 4, 2011

looks beautiful! reminds me how the first thing i ever “cooked” after moving out of home was homemade granola!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 4, 2011

Mmmm…I have everything to make this with, granola time!

Andrea January 4, 2011

Beautiful! I’ve never had luck with homemade granola but it might be time to give it another go. I think it would make a lovely gift indeed!

Shanna January 4, 2011

Yum! How can you go wrong with granola when it’s just so darn good, nutritious, and delicious?

Thanks for sharing another great recipe!

Whitney @ Blooming Significance January 4, 2011

Oh how yummy!!! I have never thought to make my own granola. What a great idea! Plus, it would be a great gift idea as well :)

Happy New Year!

Corey @ The Runner's Cookie January 4, 2011

I’m so jealous of the clumps!! I guess I will need to buy brown rice syrup?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

I do think BRS has something to do with clumping. In my old Glonola recipe I used a lot of BRS and I had TONS of clumps- too many though and it was much too hard. I need to find that perfect balance!
Next time I will use 4 tbsp instead of 3 I think :)

Camille January 4, 2011

That looks incredible!
Unfortunately I am not allowed to make homemade granola in my house because that is one food that I have no control around. I could eat a whole batch and be sick for a week. Throw some granola in front of me and my willpower goes out the window!

Liza Jane January 4, 2011

I love that “shove into mouth” is included in the recipe. Now I can say I’m just following directions :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

haha yes indeed! Ihad to throw that in there b/c I can’t imagine not testing it!

emma January 4, 2011

Hahaa! I actually did make granola for my boyfriend last Valentines day! :-) Yours looks amazing so I may have to surprise him with some this year too! Great work. I can’t wait to try this x x

Kaitlin January 4, 2011

Yum! Angela, your photos look more gorgeous every day! I love the brown sugar one. Can’t wait to try out this recipe!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 4, 2011

I think this is going to be my weekend project! I actually just bought a new bag of rolled oats to use to make homemade granola. It’s fate! ;)

Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good January 4, 2011

That looks SO good! I like how you pretty it up with the ribbon, too. :)

Paige @Running Around Normal January 4, 2011

Gosh I need to make some granola stat!! I usually always have it around for the winter – but haven’t made any in MONTHS!

Kasey January 4, 2011

Wow! That looks so good. I am now inspired to make granola :)
Thanks for sharing!

stacey-healthylife January 4, 2011

I love the colors, that looks amazing.

Sabina January 4, 2011

Mmmm!

I make my own granola too! For wet, I use a combination of maple syrup and applesauce (higher ratio of applesauce). I never thought of coconut oil!

Why do you not add the pepitas with the dry ingredients and then bake them?

Also, where do you get those AWESOME bell jars? (I’m located in Toronto). I’ll feel sheepish if you say… Canadian Tire. ;-)

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle January 4, 2011

oh my goodness!!1 That granola looks divine!!!

Page 2 of 4«1234»