Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

IMG 8110 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

I woke up this morning and I had no idea what day it was!

The holidays will do that to a person I guess. I also forgot that today is a day off work for many people because Jan 1st fell on the weekend. I guess I don’t really keep up with these things being self-employed, but perhaps I should start!

Also, I can’t believe we don’t have a lick of snow left…

IMG 8125 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

On New Year’s Day, it was a warm 10C and all of our snow melted. I don’t think I can ever remember a Jan 1st when we didn’t have snow. It is so weird.

Yesterday, I felt quite run down and I started to feel like I was getting sick, but after a good 8 hours of sleep, I am feeling much better today.

In the past week, I have amped up the following:

• Get enough sleep- I am often guilty of not getting enough sleep, but I have been making an effort to get 7.5-8.5 hours.
  • Fluids- I have been drinking a lot of Hot lemon water, Echinacea tea, wheatgrass juice, and Sencha tea.
  • Moderate exercise- I’ve been keeping my workouts to about 30 minutes- just enough to reap the benefits of exercise, but not wear my body down or compromise my immune system.
  • Think Positive- I always tell myself that I will not get sick. I learned in my psychology courses that a positive disposition reduces the chances of catching colds.
  • Healthy Fuel- I have been fueling my body with a wide variety of healthy foods. This ensures that my body has the right fuel to do the job and fight off any illness.
  • Washing Hands Frequently- I cranked my hand-washing into overdrive. They say it is the #1 best thing you can do to prevent a cold!

Because there is no ice on the roads (huge benefit of no snow!), I braved the chilly air this morning and had a beautiful + sunny 3 mile outdoor run followed by 5 minutes of plank exercises. After showering and eating breakfast, I set into the kitchen to cook.

I also used something I have never used before…

IMG 8077 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Brown Rice Pasta!

The thought of having pasta made from brown rice appeals to me, so I thought I would check it out. I wasn’t sure how it was going to cook or taste, but I was so surprised to find that it tasted just like whole wheat pasta! The texture was even the same too. If you are looking for an alternative to wheat based flour, I highly recommend it.

IMG 8096 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

This recipe is so easy to make. I think I was done in 20 minutes.

IMG 8081b thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Note: I only used 1 garlic clove, not 4!

You take all of the ingredients and dump them into a blender.

IMG 8086 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Then, blend until smooth!

IMG 8088 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

It makes a heaping cup’s worth of the Alfredo Sauce.

IMG 8090 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

I adapted the recipe ingredients and I found my sauce was a bit thin, so next time I would probably use 1 cup Almond milk minus 2 tablespoons to thicken it up a bit more.

IMG 8092 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Drain and rinse the pasta and then add it to the pot.

IMG 8099 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Pour on your desired amount of cheese sauce and heat over medium heat, stirring frequently to thicken.

IMG 8100 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Mmmmmm. Taste and adjust seasonings.

IMG 8101 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Garnish with herbs and additional paprika and serve.

IMG 8107 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

This vegan Alfredo is absolutely delicious and very similar to the Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese sauce, but a bit more Alfredo-like in taste.

IMG 8113 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

If you really want to pump up this dish, add some GREEN POWER!

IMG 8118 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

I added some sautéed broccoli, spinach, and frozen peas into the pot and heated it all together for about 5 extra minutes.

It was awesome both ways and I am sure you could get really creative with your mix-ins.

A fun way to sneak in some vegetables.

IMG 8118 2 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

I learned this trick from my mom…she used to always mix in some frozen vegetables into our Mac ‘n Cheese when we were kids.

She made it much more difficult for me to feed our dog vegetables under the table…!

You may be surprised to know that as a child, I was really not a big vegetable fan at ALL and I would sit at the table forever in a Vegetable Show Down with my parents. Broccoli was one of my most despised vegetables of all. Oh how things have changed!

Look at me now mom, there was hope all along.

liane January 3, 2011

I couldn’t NOT make this for dinner tonight… I made it with rice pasta fettucini noodles, cauliflower and spinach and it was AMAZING!! I can’t wait for my leftovers for lunch tomorrow :)

And then I followed it up with a bowl of chocolate pudding…aka the filling for the chocolate torte. I may have to ban avocados from my house for a bit ;)

Marie-Journey to Body Zen January 3, 2011

I am in NH and most of our snow has melted as well. It’s so weird to be in January already and it’s really only snowed here once! Great looking recipe.

Dee January 3, 2011

WOW. That is all I can say about this post. Just. WOW. ;)

Dee January 3, 2011

ps. So totally making this in the future. :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie January 3, 2011

This looks incredible AND it’s gluten free. I’m going gluten free for a while so this is perfect! Now I just gotta get me some cashews!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

im glad you can try it out too! being GF must be tough

Diana @ frontyardfoodie January 4, 2011

It’s easier than you may think…..just tons of fruits and veggies! Tons of your foods are gluten free! I just haven’t had pasta in SO long so this seems incredibly enticing. haha

Stacie January 3, 2011

That looks amazing! I absolutely LOVE alfredo!

Jasmine January 3, 2011

This looks so yummy :)

Every morning when I boot up my computer with a cup of tea, I check Oh She Glows to see if there is anything new!
I have a rally quick question for you: I know that mustard adds a wonderful flavor to sauces like this, but it causes an anapylactic reaction (for me). What can I use as a substitute so I’m not losing any flavor?

Thank you for your blog!

Jasmine January 3, 2011

Ah typo! I ment really quick, not rally ;D

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

I’m not sure, sorry about that! Maybe try looking it up online to see if someone else has your question?

Faith @ lovelyascharged January 3, 2011

Geeze, I can’t believe how incredible that looks! Especially once the broccoli was added in. Oh lord. I could do some serious work on that!

Ally January 3, 2011

This looks amazing. My husband and I aren’t big pasta eaters primarily because it always leaves my tummy feeling a bit bloated. This however looks fantastic…I just told him was ingredients were in the sauce and he said “I think I want you to make that”.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

haha cute!

Emily January 4, 2011

I’ve made sauces with cashews and almond flour before. I find the almond flour thickens up nicely, no idea why it works better than cashews ;) I’m going to try your recipe the next time I have a craving for mac’n’cheese!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

almond flour sounds great!

Aylin January 4, 2011

This looks amazing! I love how creamy the sauce is.Do you have a favorite pasta sauce made sans the cashews (or any other nut)? I’m in love with this dish and will make it soon though. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

Im trying to think if I have a tomato pasta sauce recipe on my blog right now…if I think of it, I will let you know!

Beatrix January 4, 2011

I use rice pasta all the time due to my gluten intolerance and I too was surprised the first time making it. Unfortunately, they aren’t very good the next day.. I find the pasta gets hard and dries out.

The alfredo sauce looks divine. CAn’t wait to try it myself.

Casey Thomas January 4, 2011

Mmm my favourite is buckwheat pasta – so good! This looks so yummy Angela :)

Nico January 4, 2011

I love seeing cashews used to make creamy dishes! My boyfriend is lactose intolerant but loves rich, creamy (ie – lactose ridden) dishes, so I am going to have to give this a try!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 4, 2011

Mmm this looks delicious! I am not a vegan, but I would definitely eat this pasta. Not being a huge fan of cheesy cream sauces, this sauce sounds absolutely perfect!

Sarah Carere January 4, 2011

Hi Angela! This is a very timely post because I just made your Vegan Mac n’ Cheese for dinner last night. I am not vegan, but lactose intolerent and have really missed the creamy goodness of cheesy pasta, so I was excited to give this a try. I must admit, I was a tad skeptical because I had never used nutritional yeast before, and my husband was definitely rolling his eyes as I pulled the recipe together. However, the dish turned out AMAZING! I was shocked at how creamy and cheesy it tasted – just like the real thing. It was absolutely delicious and a real treat for me! Even my husband loved (not just liked…but loved!) this dish, and treated it just like KD by smothering in ketchup, lol. Thanks for a great and easy recipe! This alfredo sauce looks very similar so I’m sure it would turn out just as great.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

haha that is great! Eric covers his in ketchup too! lol

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 4, 2011

If you want snow, you should come to London. I just woke up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning! ;)

This recipe looks amazing, as always. I love how you can manage to lighten up even the richest of meals!

Nathalie January 4, 2011

I just saw this and made it for lunch immediately! Delicious! And a great way to get some xtra veggies in. I love that it’s so simple, quick and made with ingredients that I have always on hand! The only thing I did differently was to briefly saute/roast the garlic before blending it up with the rest, otherwise I find the garlic taste to overpowering (I do that almost always when a recipe calls for garlic). Another winer :-)

I’ll put some clementine segments in the freezer now and will make your Flu-Buster Smoothie later today. BF felt like he was coming down with something and I am sure he’ll love it too. It looks outrageously creamy and delicious!

Nathalie January 4, 2011

“winner” obviously…not winer…sorry ;-)

carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream January 4, 2011

As usual this recipe made my mouth water! I’ve never tired a vegan cream sauce recpie… mostly because after a decade of being dairy free I’m never in the mood for a cream sauce but I think I’ll have to give this (and or the vegan mac and cheese) a try!

Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 4, 2011

This recipe looks awesome! I think I might challenge myself to try at least ONE vegan recipe every month…. this one I’ll definitly try in January!

Can you write a post on how to learn (er force..) yourself to begin eating/liking more veggies? I know I need to stop being fussy and eat more vegetables and need help!

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 4, 2011

I just picked up a bag of brown rice pasta at Trader Joes over the holidays and have really enjoyed it. This sounds perfect! :)

Emmy (Wine and Butter) January 4, 2011

MMMM… looks so good! I’m thinking of cutting down on gluten for the next month, but I’m thinking this would work awesome with brown rice instead right?!

Positive thinking is SO the key too. It even works with weight management I swear! ‘ I did not gain weight over this holiday period. I did not gain weight over this holiday period’ – and then magically I didn’t. :)

Keep that cold at bay! xox

Roz January 4, 2011

Glad you are feeling better. This recipe looks great, I love the idea of tahini in there. I’d never have thought to add it in! Have a great day!

Christine (The Raw Project) January 4, 2011

Wow, this looks amazing and like Alfredo I can actually handle. I bet I could get my non-vegan hubby to eat this too – thanks!

tweal January 4, 2011

This looks really yummy. I always use brown rice pasta because I like the texture much better than whole wheat – it is softer and less flavoured, but it doesn’t always reheat well so it’s not the best for leftovers. I have tried spelt and kamut pasta as well and they are nice, but brown rice is my fav.

Kiki January 4, 2011

Wow! I’m far from vegan but respect those that are. However, as an Orthodox Christian we have strict fasting periods like now, the 40 days before Christmas which is Jan. 7th for us Orthodox who follow the Julian calendar. Anyway, vegan recipes are how many of us enjoy our normal love of foods without breaking our fasting rules. This is one of the first vegan recipes that I have found in which I can get most of the ingredients here in Serbia. I do not have the luxury of actual vegan brands, like in the US, here in Serbia as I always see in recipes. However, you list things in which might possible for me to obtain! Thank you! However, almond milk is a no-go here. Would the recipe work with soy? Just curious! Thank you again! Will definitely be bookmarking your site to have on hand for all fasting periods!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2011

Yes I think you could use any type of non dairy unsweetened milk :)

Liana @ femme fraiche January 4, 2011

That looks delicious. And good for you for rockin such an awesome routine!:)

Jaclyn T January 4, 2011

This looks so yummy! I haven’t every cooked with nutritional yeast and decided to do some background reading on it first. One site says “Do not take brewers or nutritional yeast if you have gout, high levels of uric acid, kidney stones, Candida, yeast infections or an allergy to mold or penicillin.” As I am allergic to Penicillin and mold (who isn’t allergic to mold?!) I am thinking I should stay away from this product…
The site:http://factoidz.com/the-differences-between-brewers-yeast-and-nutritional-yeast/

Kat @ Cupcakekat January 5, 2011

i’ve tried that same brown rice pasta. Its so good, you can’t even tell its gluten free

Melissa January 5, 2011

Made this for dinner last night. It was amazing! Even the picky hubby loved it. Thanks a bunch!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2011

glad you enjoyed it Melissa!

Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers January 9, 2011

I made this last night. Twas wonderful. All the comfort I was looking for. My non-vegan hubby loved it too. Thanks for the detailed recipe.

Cate January 9, 2011

Thank you, this was wonderful! Non-vegan roommate said it was better than alfredo, and is planning on making it himself soon!!

Shannon January 10, 2011

Yum…just finished a bowl for dinner with brocolli and peas. DELISH!

Eco-Vegan Gal January 14, 2011

Thanks for this recipe – I made it tonight and it was great!

Nicole January 17, 2011

Great recipe! We had it tonight, and just loved it. :)

Rachel May 16, 2012

Hi Angela, I’m making this recipe tonight and I can’t wait. I have a quick question though, I prefer using my food processor over my blender.. would I be able to do that w the sauce, or is there a reason to use a blender instead? Thanks!

Tamara June 20, 2012

OMG. My new fave. I am in the middle of a big bowl of this and am already wondering if I will be able to fit in another. It is full of flavor and thick and creamy, even better than I imagined. I thought the sauce smelled a bit strong when it was in the blender but it was delicious and only left me wanting more! I used kamut spirals and cashew milk, and added lots of veggies – broc, zucc, baby spinach, peas and corn and a chopped tomato. This will be a regular on the menu for sure, thanks Angela!

Shannon June 26, 2012

Great recipe…I’ve tried others and this is now my ‘go-to’ alfredo sauce mixed with capers and fresh parsley! Thanks!

aj July 23, 2012

works great with sunflower seeds as well! i had no cashews. so i used 1 1/4 cup sunflower seeds blended in the vitamix….awesome. thanks for the recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 24, 2012

Great tip about using sunflower seeds! I will keep that in mind.

Kristiana August 9, 2012

Sooo…the first time I made this I put 3/4 cup yeast powder :/ yuckkkkkkk lol I read directions wrong….. But finally I got it right and it was AMAZING!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 9, 2012

haha ouch, I could see that! Glad you enjoyed it the second time around. Take care!

Jan Wood October 27, 2012

So, I was out of cashews and too cold to run out for some so I took the chance at trying this recipe with walnuts. I make a walnut parmesan so I figured it would be fine – and it was! Really delicious. Now I can’t wait to make it with the cashews.

Thanks Angela!