Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

IMG 8110 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

I woke up this morning and I had no idea what day it was!

The holidays will do that to a person I guess. I also forgot that today is a day off work for many people because Jan 1st fell on the weekend. I guess I don’t really keep up with these things being self-employed, but perhaps I should start!

Also, I can’t believe we don’t have a lick of snow left…

IMG 8125 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

On New Year’s Day, it was a warm 10C and all of our snow melted. I don’t think I can ever remember a Jan 1st when we didn’t have snow. It is so weird.

Yesterday, I felt quite run down and I started to feel like I was getting sick, but after a good 8 hours of sleep, I am feeling much better today.

In the past week, I have amped up the following:

• Get enough sleep- I am often guilty of not getting enough sleep, but I have been making an effort to get 7.5-8.5 hours.
  • Fluids- I have been drinking a lot of Hot lemon water, Echinacea tea, wheatgrass juice, and Sencha tea.
  • Moderate exercise- I’ve been keeping my workouts to about 30 minutes- just enough to reap the benefits of exercise, but not wear my body down or compromise my immune system.
  • Think Positive- I always tell myself that I will not get sick. I learned in my psychology courses that a positive disposition reduces the chances of catching colds.
  • Healthy Fuel- I have been fueling my body with a wide variety of healthy foods. This ensures that my body has the right fuel to do the job and fight off any illness.
  • Washing Hands Frequently- I cranked my hand-washing into overdrive. They say it is the #1 best thing you can do to prevent a cold!

Because there is no ice on the roads (huge benefit of no snow!), I braved the chilly air this morning and had a beautiful + sunny 3 mile outdoor run followed by 5 minutes of plank exercises. After showering and eating breakfast, I set into the kitchen to cook.

I also used something I have never used before…

IMG 8077 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Brown Rice Pasta!

The thought of having pasta made from brown rice appeals to me, so I thought I would check it out. I wasn’t sure how it was going to cook or taste, but I was so surprised to find that it tasted just like whole wheat pasta! The texture was even the same too. If you are looking for an alternative to wheat based flour, I highly recommend it.

IMG 8096 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

This recipe is so easy to make. I think I was done in 20 minutes.

IMG 8081b thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Note: I only used 1 garlic clove, not 4!

You take all of the ingredients and dump them into a blender.

IMG 8086 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Then, blend until smooth!

IMG 8088 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

It makes a heaping cup’s worth of the Alfredo Sauce.

IMG 8090 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

I adapted the recipe ingredients and I found my sauce was a bit thin, so next time I would probably use 1 cup Almond milk minus 2 tablespoons to thicken it up a bit more.

IMG 8092 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Drain and rinse the pasta and then add it to the pot.

IMG 8099 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Pour on your desired amount of cheese sauce and heat over medium heat, stirring frequently to thicken.

IMG 8100 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Mmmmmm. Taste and adjust seasonings.

IMG 8101 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

Garnish with herbs and additional paprika and serve.

IMG 8107 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

This vegan Alfredo is absolutely delicious and very similar to the Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese sauce, but a bit more Alfredo-like in taste.

IMG 8113 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

If you really want to pump up this dish, add some GREEN POWER!

IMG 8118 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

I added some sautéed broccoli, spinach, and frozen peas into the pot and heated it all together for about 5 extra minutes.

It was awesome both ways and I am sure you could get really creative with your mix-ins.

A fun way to sneak in some vegetables.

IMG 8118 2 thumb   Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

I learned this trick from my mom…she used to always mix in some frozen vegetables into our Mac ‘n Cheese when we were kids.

She made it much more difficult for me to feed our dog vegetables under the table…!

You may be surprised to know that as a child, I was really not a big vegetable fan at ALL and I would sit at the table forever in a Vegetable Show Down with my parents. Broccoli was one of my most despised vegetables of all. Oh how things have changed!

Look at me now mom, there was hope all along.

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 3, 2011

I am definitely trying this recipe since I have a massive can of nutritional yeast to play around with!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 3, 2011

Don’t feel bad – I am not self-employed and I didn’t know what day it was. :)

That sauce looks awesome. I have a spaghetti squash this would be delish on.

My mom was a champ at sneaking veggies in, too. It’s funny how Jessica Seinfeld is making popular today what our mothers did 20 years ago.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

spag. squash is a great idea

Ashley January 3, 2011

Haha, I have allwwayyss loved vegetables. I guess I was just a weird kid like that. As always your blog has mad my mouth water, and I will have to try this in the near future.

Lauren January 3, 2011

Yum! My mom always makes comments about how my eating has changed (for the good!) since I was the pickiest eater ever when I was younger.

Tracey January 3, 2011

Brown rice pasta has become one of my favorites! Glad you found it! Great recipe :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) January 3, 2011

I hated broccoli, too! That and brussels sprouts. But now I eat them more than any other vegetable- I guess my tastebuds adjusted! Your sauce looks fantastic and super easy. And nothin wrong with adding the extra garlic, right!? :)

OSGMOM January 3, 2011

I am smiling just thinking back to those days of trying to get the veggies in to you :) & yes I hope this provides lots of hope to the parents who are struggling right now to get their kids to eat their veggies. I can’t wait to try this pasta dish as I have always loved the taste of Alfredo sauce but not the consequences I suffer from eating cream based sauces.

Sommer J January 3, 2011

This is fabulous. I know someone who would love or either be really inspired by this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Tyrah January 3, 2011

We dig organic brown rice pasta here too! We actually order it in a case to save a few dollars, a $1 a bag to be more exact ;) Many of the bags get used with that same Vegan Yum Yum recipe from her blog. It’s like my comfort food dish and frozen peas pretty much always get stirred in ;) I usually do about 3 big cloves of garlic ;)
I’m pretty sure that the think positive theory is why my hubby doesn’t seem to get sick, he’s too stubborn for it!
Your photography for the posts is gorgeous always.

Michelle January 3, 2011

Okay, so alfredo pasta is like my absolute favorite dish in the entire world! I am trying to slowly progress to a vegan diet and I knew that this was one meal I would seriously miss. Can’t wait to try it – I know I won’t be deprived thanks to you!!!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 3, 2011

That looks so delicious. Fresh, easy – can’t ask for much more!

Meryl Ryan January 3, 2011

Hi Angela,
I’ve read you for a while and you sound delightful and would make any mom proud. I’m old enough to be your mom, plus some.
Even though I am not vegan, I do enjoy your recipes and would love to be able to adapt them to my needs.
Unfortunately I have several severe allergies. Shellfish; peanuts; tree-nuts; nut oils and extracts; coconut; lentils (yes, lentils)……So any ideas on how to sub nuts and such in your raw desserts and sauces? Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks, Meryl

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

Hi Meryl, thanks for your kind wrods! I’m not sure about subbing the nuts…I will give it some thought and let you know if I think of anything. If any others readers have any ideas, please chime in too.
All the best!

Casey Thomas January 4, 2011

HI Meryl,

Can you tolerate seeds? Sunflower seeds and hemp seeds are particularly good at getting that creamy texture that nuts give. Sesame seeds are also good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

those are great ideas!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan January 3, 2011

My mom added frozen peas to our mac-n-cheese. I did the vegetable show down with my parents whenever they forced me to eat canned spinach. Oh the torture!

Marcia January 3, 2011

Okay, that’s my kind of pasta sauce. Any sauce you can make in a blender will work for me.

AND it’s made of stuff that I have in my pantry! Bonus!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 3, 2011

Angela..brilliant recipe!

And I love nooch so the sauce looks delish!

I love the things you’ve amped up…handwashing, yes!! As the mother of a preschooler, YES this is sooo key! It really does cut down on the sickies.

And sleep, water, and exercise but not overdoing it and wearing yourself down- so important and true!

Red Deception January 3, 2011

I will have to try this!

I am desperately searching for a garlicy, creamy, non-dairy, buttery alfredo sauce for pasta. This recipe looks a little watery, so maybe I will adjust and see how it turns out. Mmmm…

Allison @ Food For Healing January 3, 2011

10!! on the PLUS side?!?! HOLY COW, i can’t believe it, Saskatchewan is definitely not like that haha its been -30c windchills lately, so our snow is going no where

I enjoy brown rice pasta, its way healthier and doesn’t seem very different. I never eat pasta though, maybe a couple times a year, but otherwise I would definitely buy that stuff.

Laurab @ foodsnobstl January 3, 2011

Where did you get brown rice pasta? Whole Foods?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

ontario natural food coop :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 3, 2011

Oh my gosh this looks amazing Ange! I have just vowed to STOP eating dairy (it hurts my stomach after all) this year and I needed this so bad. I’m making it ASAP!

xoxo

Jenn January 3, 2011

This looks delicious!

Moni'sMeals January 3, 2011

Ohhhhh. I thank you for this recipe! Well done Angela~

Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 3, 2011

I have a weird question. I often make recipes from blogs and cookbooks, but almost every time I adapt them in one or more ways. I blog about the recipes. I always cite where the recipe originated from. What are the “rules” when it comes to this kind of thing? I know that if a recipe is from a book and you don’t have the author’s permission then you cannot reprint the recipe even with a citation. I also know that if you adapt a recipe enough, you can print it on your blog. But how much is enough? Just wondering–I have a feeling you know the answer to this!
Thanks,
Wendy

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

There is a great article on this exact question from David Lebovitz….check it out: http://foodblogalliance.com/2009/04/recipe-attribution.php

Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 3, 2011

Thank you Angela–much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Shanna, like Banana January 3, 2011

I usually would pass on alfredo because the idea of something that thick and creamy sort of grosses me out, but I’d be so on-board with something light and healthy! Yum!

bitt of raw January 3, 2011

thanks for the GF recipe! we love to put broccoli and other greens in our pasta. adds more nutrition and they taste good with sauce on them.

Abbie Bandstra January 3, 2011

I am allergic to gluten and rice pasta is a great invention…but even more so: quinoa pasta! The texture and flavors are much better. It’s a little more expensive in way of gluten-free pasta, but worth it. I am going to try this sauce recipe asap…thanks!

Andrea January 3, 2011

Looks excellent! My mom and I are always looking for new pasta ideas, this seems like a nice easy/tasty option :) I’ve always loved broccoli in cheesy pasta dishes… broccoli smothered in any sauce makes it about 100 times more delicious, and I like it to begin with!

Allison January 3, 2011

This is one our staple recipes in our house and it tastes fantastic with some roasted and chopped red bell peppers tossed in. Mmmm!

Alaina January 3, 2011

Growing up, I liked broccoli but I had to put melted cheese over it in order to eat it. Thankfully I’ve rid of that habit. :-)

Sonia January 3, 2011

If I can get my husband to stop eating all the nuts in the house–you would think he’s part squirrel the way he hoards them–I’ll have to give this a try. I have never been an Alfredo sauce type fan, but it doesn’t hurt to to try the vegan version of it. thanks!

Ashley January 3, 2011

Have you tried rooibos tea? I think you might like it. It’s also caffeine free and full of nutrients. I’m not the hugest fan of it plain but the flavoured varieties can be quite nice… Stash has a seasonal cinnamon vanilla rooibos that is delish.

ezzie January 3, 2011

You need your own show or something with all these delicious -yet vegan- recipes!

Picky Nicky January 3, 2011

Today I tried brown rice pasta for the first time and I’m OBSESSED!! It’s not the same brand as you though, I forgot what mine is called but it had some bunnies on the wrapper :) The whole time I was eating dinner I kept saying “this is my new favourite meal! I’m going to eat this every day for the rest of the year! Yes, this is my 2011 resolution” Lol… What can I say :P

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! January 3, 2011

Where would we be without nutritional yeast, eh? A friend of mine calls it “hippie dust” lol

This dish looks fabulous!

Rachel January 3, 2011

Ok, I got a little creative today….I didn’t want the carbs in the pasta. So, I made the sauce and poured it over a big bowl of steamed broccoli. It was perfection! :-)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 3, 2011

I just bought brown rice pasta for the first time – eager to give it try… maybe dinner tonight!?

jenny eats nutella from a spoon January 3, 2011

i love brown rice pasta! it’s funny because i hated all kinds of pasta growing up.

Danielle January 3, 2011

Yummy pasta!

Also, the little red spoon is precious.

Rachel (tea and chocolate) January 3, 2011

I haven’t been able to keep track of what day it is for a long time now. Yesterday I thought it was Monday, today I thought it was Tuesday and then Wednesday for a while. The holidays can really throw you off!

The pasta sauce looks delicious! Cashews make such creamy sauces.

Lisa January 3, 2011

That looks delicious! I love your recipes, Angela.

Hannah January 3, 2011

Oh my, brilliant! I think I’ve only had real alfredo once in my life (because it made me feel ill), but this is so full of ingredients and flavours that I love. Thank you so much!

Page 2 of 4«1234»