Quick and Easy Vegan Alfredo

IMG_8110

I woke up this morning and I had no idea what day it was!

The holidays will do that to a person I guess. I also forgot that today is a day off work for many people because Jan 1st fell on the weekend. I guess I don’t really keep up with these things being self-employed, but perhaps I should start!

Also, I can’t believe we don’t have a lick of snow left…

IMG_8125

On New Year’s Day, it was a warm 10C and all of our snow melted. I don’t think I can ever remember a Jan 1st when we didn’t have snow. It is so weird.

Yesterday, I felt quite run down and I started to feel like I was getting sick, but after a good 8 hours of sleep, I am feeling much better today.

In the past week, I have amped up the following:

• Get enough sleep– I am often guilty of not getting enough sleep, but I have been making an effort to get 7.5-8.5 hours.
  • Fluids– I have been drinking a lot of Hot lemon water, Echinacea tea, wheatgrass juice, and Sencha tea.
  • Moderate exercise– I’ve been keeping my workouts to about 30 minutes- just enough to reap the benefits of exercise, but not wear my body down or compromise my immune system.
  • Think Positive– I always tell myself that I will not get sick. I learned in my psychology courses that a positive disposition reduces the chances of catching colds.
  • Healthy Fuel– I have been fueling my body with a wide variety of healthy foods. This ensures that my body has the right fuel to do the job and fight off any illness.
  • Washing Hands Frequently– I cranked my hand-washing into overdrive. They say it is the #1 best thing you can do to prevent a cold!

Because there is no ice on the roads (huge benefit of no snow!), I braved the chilly air this morning and had a beautiful + sunny 3 mile outdoor run followed by 5 minutes of plank exercises. After showering and eating breakfast, I set into the kitchen to cook.

I also used something I have never used before…

IMG_8077

Brown Rice Pasta!

The thought of having pasta made from brown rice appeals to me, so I thought I would check it out. I wasn’t sure how it was going to cook or taste, but I was so surprised to find that it tasted just like whole wheat pasta! The texture was even the same too. If you are looking for an alternative to wheat based flour, I highly recommend it.

IMG_8096

This recipe is so easy to make. I think I was done in 20 minutes.

IMG_8081b

Note: I only used 1 garlic clove, not 4!

You take all of the ingredients and dump them into a blender.

IMG_8086

Then, blend until smooth!

IMG_8088

It makes a heaping cup’s worth of the Alfredo Sauce.

IMG_8090

I adapted the recipe ingredients and I found my sauce was a bit thin, so next time I would probably use 1 cup Almond milk minus 2 tablespoons to thicken it up a bit more.

IMG_8092

Drain and rinse the pasta and then add it to the pot.

IMG_8099

Pour on your desired amount of cheese sauce and heat over medium heat, stirring frequently to thicken.

IMG_8100

Mmmmmm. Taste and adjust seasonings.

IMG_8101

Garnish with herbs and additional paprika and serve.

IMG_8107

This vegan Alfredo is absolutely delicious and very similar to the Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese sauce, but a bit more Alfredo-like in taste.

IMG_8113

If you really want to pump up this dish, add some GREEN POWER!

IMG_8118

I added some sautéed broccoli, spinach, and frozen peas into the pot and heated it all together for about 5 extra minutes.

It was awesome both ways and I am sure you could get really creative with your mix-ins.

A fun way to sneak in some vegetables.

IMG_8118-2

I learned this trick from my mom…she used to always mix in some frozen vegetables into our Mac ‘n Cheese when we were kids.

She made it much more difficult for me to feed our dog vegetables under the table…!

You may be surprised to know that as a child, I was really not a big vegetable fan at ALL and I would sit at the table forever in a Vegetable Show Down with my parents. Broccoli was one of my most despised vegetables of all. Oh how things have changed!

Look at me now mom, there was hope all along.

1 Camille January 3, 2011

It never fails to amaze me how you can make the most non-vegan meals vegan! Mad props!

2 Katie (Sweet Tater) January 3, 2011

i loathe alfredo and traditional cream sauces of any kind but i am proooobably going to make this gem tonight. looks amazing.

3 Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happinesslaura January 3, 2011

This Alfredo looks divine!

4 Amalfi Girl January 3, 2011

Yes, thank you so much for this recipe!

5 Cathy Breit January 3, 2011

oh my…this looks so yummy and comforting. You always manage to make healthy=yummy=beautiful!
love,
cathy b. @ brightbakes

6 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 3, 2011

I’m guilty of not sleeping enough too, so I’ve also been trying to get 8.5 hours! Not easy!
This looks great! And probably full of protein too, from the looks of the ingredients list! :D

7 Casey @ Foodie in Motion January 3, 2011

Oooh… this is making me hungry! Can I come over for lunch? Yum!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

Sure…bring dessert! ;)

9 Leia January 3, 2011

I’m coming over armed with vegan cinnamon ice cream! :P

10 kristy @ kristyruns.com January 3, 2011

Yay! I’ve definitely missed alfredo sauce and can’t wait to try this! :)

11 Lizzie January 3, 2011

Hey Angela:
I know you have an insane life that doesn’t let you slow down for a second :) but is there any chance you could do some sort of post about essential ingredients for a vegan kitchen? I’m not vegan, but I love your recipes (and feed them to my unsuspecting husband who loves them – tonight? Creamy barley tomato risotto!) and like to try and mix them in with our normal menu. However sometimes the recipes call for things I don’t have on hand (tahini sauce, tamari etc) and I kind of feel it’s a waste of money to buy a container of whatever if I may not get through it all (unless there’s a good shelf life). That might be different if I knew I would use it pretty often. Just a thought.

Isn’t getting the sleep back on track, great??

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

Im hoping to do something like this if I end up writing a cookbook this year. :) As for tamari and tahini, both have very long shelf lives- over 1 year in the fridge.

13 Lizzie January 3, 2011

No – WHEN you end up writing a cookbook this year :)

Thanks! I might go out and get some – just have limited cupboard space (which was why I asked about the essential list) but we do have enough fridge space! :)

14 Tiffany @ Conor & Bella January 3, 2011

Thanks for the great recipe! I have been craving alfredo for months it seems.

15 Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside January 3, 2011

I’ve tried Vegan Yum Yum’s version and it is indeed DE-licious! It’s nice to know you can enjoy alfredo sans the artery-clogging side effects. Thanks for the cold-prevention tips… it’s time I actually got back to the gym as these holiday weeks have left me a little hunched over and blah about life. I need that extra energy and positive disposition back! It’s the low temps that keep me on my butt, so I commend you for being able to stick with your good habits in the perpetual cold weather you guys seem to have up there through the winter months.

16 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 3, 2011

Yum! That looks delicious. Cashews are such the miracle nut!

17 Lisa @Thrive Style January 3, 2011

Thanks for this recipe! I am dying to try it. Eating mostly vegan mostly stops me from eating any cheesy yummy alfredo-y things…but looks like this would be a big winner in my house!

I love the feeling of being confused about what day it is! I’m quite confused today myself—working from home is the best!

~Lisa

18 Bronwyn Coyne January 3, 2011

That looks absolutely delicious! Yum alfredo sauce.

19 Jess@atasteofconfidence January 3, 2011

It was super warm here (in Buffalo!) too- and then it snowed again yesterday- typical!

20 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 3, 2011

This sounds delicious! I’ve tried brown rice linguine before and thought it was pretty tasty, but definitely not quite the same as whole wheat or other pastas. Even though there’s no snow outside, the cold temps are still definitely making me crave warm food!

21 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 3, 2011

Oh how I love alfredo!

22 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 3, 2011

I’m always amazed by your cheese subs. I’m allergic to cashews though…what nut would be a good sub for those that would yield the best “cheese?”

23 Marisa @ Loser for Life January 3, 2011

I recently discovered brown rice pasta and I love it!!!
Your alfredo sauce looks so delicious!!!

24 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 3, 2011

Omigosh, Alfredo would be perfect to warm me up on this cold day! I bookmarked this recipe :)

25 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 3, 2011

This is EXACTLY what I’m making for dinner tonight! I was originally going to make your mac n cheese, but I don’t have enough time as I thought I was going to have!

26 Amber K January 3, 2011

Yum, that looks so delicious. I have had quinoa pasta before, but I haven’t tried brown rice pasta yet! Can’t wait.

27 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 3, 2011

Oh my does that look good! I’ve been eating a lot more rice lately as I think wheat is impacting my breakouts, so rice pasta will be a fun thing to try. Thanks for keeping us healthy and inspired with your great talents!

28 Tina January 3, 2011

I love brown rice pasta & use if frequently. And we have a vegetable all the time with my son-he hates broccoli & gags, but I’m mean & make him choke down at least 2 pieces! (which I’m sure is going to backfire)

29 Leia January 3, 2011

I definitely want to try this! I haven’t been able to find nutritional yeast in the supermarkets here though, but I’m still looking. Oddly enough, I went vegetarian at age 12 but I didn’t like vegetables till I was 15 or 16! I spent 3 years eating mostly bread and junk food, haha.

30 Lily's Health Pad January 3, 2011

I made vegan fettucine sauce once and it tasted TERRIBLE! I look forward to trying this. Does it taste like real fettucine sauce?

31 Leah @ Why Deprive? January 3, 2011

That alfredo sauce sounds so good! I use that same kind of pasta. I actually prefer it to whole wheat. Its all I buy now.

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

I was not expecting it to taste so good! I’m a believer now :)

33 Laura (LunaChickRuns) January 3, 2011

That looks amazingly delicious! I have always wondered about brown rice pasta, but was afraid the texture would be weird. I’ll have to try it now!

34 Tanya @ Vegan Faith January 3, 2011

That is so funny, because I just prepped our dinner for tonight and made a very similar alfredo sauce but I also mixed in pumpkin. And then when I got to the bottom of your page I gasped because I was also planning to mix in broccoli, spinach and peas. Ha! Great minds think alike! Hope you are having a great start to the new year!

35 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 3, 2011

Love this!! I am so incredibly in love with your mac and cheese recipe, so I’m sure this one will be a hit too!!!

36 Heidi January 3, 2011

Do you use the vanilla Almond Breeze in this? I tried it with your vegan mac ‘n’ cheese as it was all I had on hand, and the vanilla was too prominent.

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

Yes I use the unsweet. vanilla almond milk and I do notice a small taste but I dont mind it. You could try the unflavoured + unsweet. kind too :)

38 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 3, 2011

Glad you’re staying healthy. I hate how easy it is to get sick this time of year.

39 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 3, 2011

Yum! Who would have known you didn’t like veggies as a kid?

40 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 3, 2011

This looks amazing. You’re recipes are starting to convince me that I could be a vegan in the future. :)

41 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman January 3, 2011

That looks amazing, as always. The broccoli addition, in my opinion, makes it even better.

42 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 3, 2011

great way to stay healthy. i’m a firm believer in getting enough sleep, and hot lemon water is THE BEST! i’m actually going to do a whole post on it soon because i think its more powerful than people even realize, and such an easy habit to add to your routine!

43 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition January 3, 2011

Looks delicious! I love finding recipies that look like they took a lot of work but are super easy!!

Unfortunitely I got the sick bug— I feel horrible! But I’ve been garggling with oregano and garlic and it’s really helped!! now if I could just get my sinuses to clear…

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

feel better soon Jocelyn!

45 Becky January 3, 2011

I had to laugh at your drinking hot lemon water – I thought I was the only one to do that from all the strange looks I get at work when people want to know what I’m drinking! I made three general resolutions this year: stay vegan, read for pleasure at least 4 nights each week, and drink more water. This time of year, hot lemon water is the best way to keep that last resolution – otherwise, I’d be freezing!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

I agree…I love it!

47 Maureen PLuthero January 4, 2011

I started drinking this when my gall bladder was acting up as I could not drink anything else and i still try to have at least one cup a day.
Hot lemon water also works at clearing out the toxins, I also find it really helpful if I feel a sore throat coming.

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

Also gargling with salt water is VERY helpful for a sore throat too! Or to prevent one :)

49 Stefanie January 3, 2011

What a fantastic looking meal. I like how the veggies add a little more substance to the dish. I

50 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 3, 2011

You are on a roll! Made your lentil loaf tonight and it was amazing!

51 Maureen PLuthero January 4, 2011

I tried this as well great texture to the loaf the only thing I would change is that I would add a bit more seasoning next time.

52 Kris | iheartwellness.com January 3, 2011

This look freaking amazing Ange! I love the idea of vegan creamy sauces as new vegans usually feel that they need to give up their old time comfort foods. I find isn’t really the taste I missed, but the texture and this texture looks just like real Alfredo!
Love it!

Ps. I am a huge hand washer and never get sick ;)

xxoo

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

I agree about it being a lot about texture…sometimes I find it even tastes better too

54 Lauren at KeepItSweet January 3, 2011

I am definitely trying this recipe since I have a massive can of nutritional yeast to play around with!

55 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 3, 2011

Don’t feel bad – I am not self-employed and I didn’t know what day it was. :)

That sauce looks awesome. I have a spaghetti squash this would be delish on.

My mom was a champ at sneaking veggies in, too. It’s funny how Jessica Seinfeld is making popular today what our mothers did 20 years ago.

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

spag. squash is a great idea

57 Ashley January 3, 2011

Haha, I have allwwayyss loved vegetables. I guess I was just a weird kid like that. As always your blog has mad my mouth water, and I will have to try this in the near future.

58 Lauren January 3, 2011

Yum! My mom always makes comments about how my eating has changed (for the good!) since I was the pickiest eater ever when I was younger.

59 Tracey January 3, 2011

Brown rice pasta has become one of my favorites! Glad you found it! Great recipe :)

60 Megan (Braise The Roof) January 3, 2011

I hated broccoli, too! That and brussels sprouts. But now I eat them more than any other vegetable- I guess my tastebuds adjusted! Your sauce looks fantastic and super easy. And nothin wrong with adding the extra garlic, right!? :)

61 OSGMOM January 3, 2011

I am smiling just thinking back to those days of trying to get the veggies in to you :) & yes I hope this provides lots of hope to the parents who are struggling right now to get their kids to eat their veggies. I can’t wait to try this pasta dish as I have always loved the taste of Alfredo sauce but not the consequences I suffer from eating cream based sauces.

62 Sommer J January 3, 2011

This is fabulous. I know someone who would love or either be really inspired by this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

63 Tyrah January 3, 2011

We dig organic brown rice pasta here too! We actually order it in a case to save a few dollars, a $1 a bag to be more exact ;) Many of the bags get used with that same Vegan Yum Yum recipe from her blog. It’s like my comfort food dish and frozen peas pretty much always get stirred in ;) I usually do about 3 big cloves of garlic ;)
I’m pretty sure that the think positive theory is why my hubby doesn’t seem to get sick, he’s too stubborn for it!
Your photography for the posts is gorgeous always.

64 Michelle January 3, 2011

Okay, so alfredo pasta is like my absolute favorite dish in the entire world! I am trying to slowly progress to a vegan diet and I knew that this was one meal I would seriously miss. Can’t wait to try it – I know I won’t be deprived thanks to you!!!

65 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 3, 2011

That looks so delicious. Fresh, easy – can’t ask for much more!

66 Meryl Ryan January 3, 2011

Hi Angela,
I’ve read you for a while and you sound delightful and would make any mom proud. I’m old enough to be your mom, plus some.
Even though I am not vegan, I do enjoy your recipes and would love to be able to adapt them to my needs.
Unfortunately I have several severe allergies. Shellfish; peanuts; tree-nuts; nut oils and extracts; coconut; lentils (yes, lentils)……So any ideas on how to sub nuts and such in your raw desserts and sauces? Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks, Meryl

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

Hi Meryl, thanks for your kind wrods! I’m not sure about subbing the nuts…I will give it some thought and let you know if I think of anything. If any others readers have any ideas, please chime in too.
All the best!

68 Casey Thomas January 4, 2011

HI Meryl,

Can you tolerate seeds? Sunflower seeds and hemp seeds are particularly good at getting that creamy texture that nuts give. Sesame seeds are also good!

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

those are great ideas!

70 Emily @ One Sweet Vegan January 3, 2011

My mom added frozen peas to our mac-n-cheese. I did the vegetable show down with my parents whenever they forced me to eat canned spinach. Oh the torture!

71 Marcia January 3, 2011

Okay, that’s my kind of pasta sauce. Any sauce you can make in a blender will work for me.

AND it’s made of stuff that I have in my pantry! Bonus!

72 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 3, 2011

Angela..brilliant recipe!

And I love nooch so the sauce looks delish!

I love the things you’ve amped up…handwashing, yes!! As the mother of a preschooler, YES this is sooo key! It really does cut down on the sickies.

And sleep, water, and exercise but not overdoing it and wearing yourself down- so important and true!

73 Red Deception January 3, 2011

I will have to try this!

I am desperately searching for a garlicy, creamy, non-dairy, buttery alfredo sauce for pasta. This recipe looks a little watery, so maybe I will adjust and see how it turns out. Mmmm…

74 Allison @ Food For Healing January 3, 2011

10!! on the PLUS side?!?! HOLY COW, i can’t believe it, Saskatchewan is definitely not like that haha its been -30c windchills lately, so our snow is going no where

I enjoy brown rice pasta, its way healthier and doesn’t seem very different. I never eat pasta though, maybe a couple times a year, but otherwise I would definitely buy that stuff.

75 Laurab @ foodsnobstl January 3, 2011

Where did you get brown rice pasta? Whole Foods?

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

ontario natural food coop :)

77 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 3, 2011

Oh my gosh this looks amazing Ange! I have just vowed to STOP eating dairy (it hurts my stomach after all) this year and I needed this so bad. I’m making it ASAP!

xoxo

78 Jenn January 3, 2011

This looks delicious!

79 Moni'sMeals January 3, 2011

Ohhhhh. I thank you for this recipe! Well done Angela~

80 Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 3, 2011

I have a weird question. I often make recipes from blogs and cookbooks, but almost every time I adapt them in one or more ways. I blog about the recipes. I always cite where the recipe originated from. What are the “rules” when it comes to this kind of thing? I know that if a recipe is from a book and you don’t have the author’s permission then you cannot reprint the recipe even with a citation. I also know that if you adapt a recipe enough, you can print it on your blog. But how much is enough? Just wondering–I have a feeling you know the answer to this!
Thanks,
Wendy

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

There is a great article on this exact question from David Lebovitz….check it out: http://foodblogalliance.com/2009/04/recipe-attribution.php

82 Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 3, 2011

Thank you Angela–much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

83 Shanna, like Banana January 3, 2011

I usually would pass on alfredo because the idea of something that thick and creamy sort of grosses me out, but I’d be so on-board with something light and healthy! Yum!

84 bitt of raw January 3, 2011

thanks for the GF recipe! we love to put broccoli and other greens in our pasta. adds more nutrition and they taste good with sauce on them.

85 Abbie Bandstra January 3, 2011

I am allergic to gluten and rice pasta is a great invention…but even more so: quinoa pasta! The texture and flavors are much better. It’s a little more expensive in way of gluten-free pasta, but worth it. I am going to try this sauce recipe asap…thanks!

86 Andrea January 3, 2011

Looks excellent! My mom and I are always looking for new pasta ideas, this seems like a nice easy/tasty option :) I’ve always loved broccoli in cheesy pasta dishes… broccoli smothered in any sauce makes it about 100 times more delicious, and I like it to begin with!

87 Allison January 3, 2011

This is one our staple recipes in our house and it tastes fantastic with some roasted and chopped red bell peppers tossed in. Mmmm!

88 Alaina January 3, 2011

Growing up, I liked broccoli but I had to put melted cheese over it in order to eat it. Thankfully I’ve rid of that habit. :-)

89 Sonia January 3, 2011

If I can get my husband to stop eating all the nuts in the house–you would think he’s part squirrel the way he hoards them–I’ll have to give this a try. I have never been an Alfredo sauce type fan, but it doesn’t hurt to to try the vegan version of it. thanks!

90 Ashley January 3, 2011

Have you tried rooibos tea? I think you might like it. It’s also caffeine free and full of nutrients. I’m not the hugest fan of it plain but the flavoured varieties can be quite nice… Stash has a seasonal cinnamon vanilla rooibos that is delish.

91 ezzie January 3, 2011

You need your own show or something with all these delicious -yet vegan- recipes!

92 Picky Nicky January 3, 2011

Today I tried brown rice pasta for the first time and I’m OBSESSED!! It’s not the same brand as you though, I forgot what mine is called but it had some bunnies on the wrapper :) The whole time I was eating dinner I kept saying “this is my new favourite meal! I’m going to eat this every day for the rest of the year! Yes, this is my 2011 resolution” Lol… What can I say :P

93 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! January 3, 2011

Where would we be without nutritional yeast, eh? A friend of mine calls it “hippie dust” lol

This dish looks fabulous!

94 Rachel January 3, 2011

Ok, I got a little creative today….I didn’t want the carbs in the pasta. So, I made the sauce and poured it over a big bowl of steamed broccoli. It was perfection! :-)

95 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 3, 2011

I just bought brown rice pasta for the first time – eager to give it try… maybe dinner tonight!?

96 jenny eats nutella from a spoon January 3, 2011

i love brown rice pasta! it’s funny because i hated all kinds of pasta growing up.

97 Danielle January 3, 2011

Yummy pasta!

Also, the little red spoon is precious.

98 Rachel (tea and chocolate) January 3, 2011

I haven’t been able to keep track of what day it is for a long time now. Yesterday I thought it was Monday, today I thought it was Tuesday and then Wednesday for a while. The holidays can really throw you off!

The pasta sauce looks delicious! Cashews make such creamy sauces.

99 Lisa January 3, 2011

That looks delicious! I love your recipes, Angela.

100 Hannah January 3, 2011

Oh my, brilliant! I think I’ve only had real alfredo once in my life (because it made me feel ill), but this is so full of ingredients and flavours that I love. Thank you so much!

101 liane January 3, 2011

I couldn’t NOT make this for dinner tonight… I made it with rice pasta fettucini noodles, cauliflower and spinach and it was AMAZING!! I can’t wait for my leftovers for lunch tomorrow :)

And then I followed it up with a bowl of chocolate pudding…aka the filling for the chocolate torte. I may have to ban avocados from my house for a bit ;)

102 Marie-Journey to Body Zen January 3, 2011

I am in NH and most of our snow has melted as well. It’s so weird to be in January already and it’s really only snowed here once! Great looking recipe.

103 Dee January 3, 2011

WOW. That is all I can say about this post. Just. WOW. ;)

104 Dee January 3, 2011

ps. So totally making this in the future. :)

105 Diana @ frontyardfoodie January 3, 2011

This looks incredible AND it’s gluten free. I’m going gluten free for a while so this is perfect! Now I just gotta get me some cashews!

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

im glad you can try it out too! being GF must be tough

107 Diana @ frontyardfoodie January 4, 2011

It’s easier than you may think…..just tons of fruits and veggies! Tons of your foods are gluten free! I just haven’t had pasta in SO long so this seems incredibly enticing. haha

108 Stacie January 3, 2011

That looks amazing! I absolutely LOVE alfredo!

109 Jasmine January 3, 2011

This looks so yummy :)

Every morning when I boot up my computer with a cup of tea, I check Oh She Glows to see if there is anything new!
I have a rally quick question for you: I know that mustard adds a wonderful flavor to sauces like this, but it causes an anapylactic reaction (for me). What can I use as a substitute so I’m not losing any flavor?

Thank you for your blog!

110 Jasmine January 3, 2011

Ah typo! I ment really quick, not rally ;D

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

I’m not sure, sorry about that! Maybe try looking it up online to see if someone else has your question?

112 Faith @ lovelyascharged January 3, 2011

Geeze, I can’t believe how incredible that looks! Especially once the broccoli was added in. Oh lord. I could do some serious work on that!

113 Ally January 3, 2011

This looks amazing. My husband and I aren’t big pasta eaters primarily because it always leaves my tummy feeling a bit bloated. This however looks fantastic…I just told him was ingredients were in the sauce and he said “I think I want you to make that”.

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

haha cute!

115 Emily January 4, 2011

I’ve made sauces with cashews and almond flour before. I find the almond flour thickens up nicely, no idea why it works better than cashews ;) I’m going to try your recipe the next time I have a craving for mac’n’cheese!

116 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

almond flour sounds great!

117 Aylin January 4, 2011

This looks amazing! I love how creamy the sauce is.Do you have a favorite pasta sauce made sans the cashews (or any other nut)? I’m in love with this dish and will make it soon though. Thanks for the inspiration :)

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

Im trying to think if I have a tomato pasta sauce recipe on my blog right now…if I think of it, I will let you know!

119 Beatrix January 4, 2011

I use rice pasta all the time due to my gluten intolerance and I too was surprised the first time making it. Unfortunately, they aren’t very good the next day.. I find the pasta gets hard and dries out.

The alfredo sauce looks divine. CAn’t wait to try it myself.

120 Casey Thomas January 4, 2011

Mmm my favourite is buckwheat pasta – so good! This looks so yummy Angela :)

121 Nico January 4, 2011

I love seeing cashews used to make creamy dishes! My boyfriend is lactose intolerant but loves rich, creamy (ie – lactose ridden) dishes, so I am going to have to give this a try!

122 Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 4, 2011

Mmm this looks delicious! I am not a vegan, but I would definitely eat this pasta. Not being a huge fan of cheesy cream sauces, this sauce sounds absolutely perfect!

123 Sarah Carere January 4, 2011

Hi Angela! This is a very timely post because I just made your Vegan Mac n’ Cheese for dinner last night. I am not vegan, but lactose intolerent and have really missed the creamy goodness of cheesy pasta, so I was excited to give this a try. I must admit, I was a tad skeptical because I had never used nutritional yeast before, and my husband was definitely rolling his eyes as I pulled the recipe together. However, the dish turned out AMAZING! I was shocked at how creamy and cheesy it tasted – just like the real thing. It was absolutely delicious and a real treat for me! Even my husband loved (not just liked…but loved!) this dish, and treated it just like KD by smothering in ketchup, lol. Thanks for a great and easy recipe! This alfredo sauce looks very similar so I’m sure it would turn out just as great.

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

haha that is great! Eric covers his in ketchup too! lol

125 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 4, 2011

If you want snow, you should come to London. I just woke up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning! ;)

This recipe looks amazing, as always. I love how you can manage to lighten up even the richest of meals!

126 Nathalie January 4, 2011

I just saw this and made it for lunch immediately! Delicious! And a great way to get some xtra veggies in. I love that it’s so simple, quick and made with ingredients that I have always on hand! The only thing I did differently was to briefly saute/roast the garlic before blending it up with the rest, otherwise I find the garlic taste to overpowering (I do that almost always when a recipe calls for garlic). Another winer :-)

I’ll put some clementine segments in the freezer now and will make your Flu-Buster Smoothie later today. BF felt like he was coming down with something and I am sure he’ll love it too. It looks outrageously creamy and delicious!

127 Nathalie January 4, 2011

“winner” obviously…not winer…sorry ;-)

128 carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream January 4, 2011

As usual this recipe made my mouth water! I’ve never tired a vegan cream sauce recpie… mostly because after a decade of being dairy free I’m never in the mood for a cream sauce but I think I’ll have to give this (and or the vegan mac and cheese) a try!

129 Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 4, 2011

This recipe looks awesome! I think I might challenge myself to try at least ONE vegan recipe every month…. this one I’ll definitly try in January!

Can you write a post on how to learn (er force..) yourself to begin eating/liking more veggies? I know I need to stop being fussy and eat more vegetables and need help!

130 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 4, 2011

I just picked up a bag of brown rice pasta at Trader Joes over the holidays and have really enjoyed it. This sounds perfect! :)

131 Emmy (Wine and Butter) January 4, 2011

MMMM… looks so good! I’m thinking of cutting down on gluten for the next month, but I’m thinking this would work awesome with brown rice instead right?!

Positive thinking is SO the key too. It even works with weight management I swear! ‘ I did not gain weight over this holiday period. I did not gain weight over this holiday period’ – and then magically I didn’t. :)

Keep that cold at bay! xox

132 Roz January 4, 2011

Glad you are feeling better. This recipe looks great, I love the idea of tahini in there. I’d never have thought to add it in! Have a great day!

133 Christine (The Raw Project) January 4, 2011

Wow, this looks amazing and like Alfredo I can actually handle. I bet I could get my non-vegan hubby to eat this too – thanks!

134 tweal January 4, 2011

This looks really yummy. I always use brown rice pasta because I like the texture much better than whole wheat – it is softer and less flavoured, but it doesn’t always reheat well so it’s not the best for leftovers. I have tried spelt and kamut pasta as well and they are nice, but brown rice is my fav.

135 Kiki January 4, 2011

Wow! I’m far from vegan but respect those that are. However, as an Orthodox Christian we have strict fasting periods like now, the 40 days before Christmas which is Jan. 7th for us Orthodox who follow the Julian calendar. Anyway, vegan recipes are how many of us enjoy our normal love of foods without breaking our fasting rules. This is one of the first vegan recipes that I have found in which I can get most of the ingredients here in Serbia. I do not have the luxury of actual vegan brands, like in the US, here in Serbia as I always see in recipes. However, you list things in which might possible for me to obtain! Thank you! However, almond milk is a no-go here. Would the recipe work with soy? Just curious! Thank you again! Will definitely be bookmarking your site to have on hand for all fasting periods!!

136 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2011

Yes I think you could use any type of non dairy unsweetened milk :)

137 Liana @ femme fraiche January 4, 2011

That looks delicious. And good for you for rockin such an awesome routine!:)

138 Jaclyn T January 4, 2011

This looks so yummy! I haven’t every cooked with nutritional yeast and decided to do some background reading on it first. One site says “Do not take brewers or nutritional yeast if you have gout, high levels of uric acid, kidney stones, Candida, yeast infections or an allergy to mold or penicillin.” As I am allergic to Penicillin and mold (who isn’t allergic to mold?!) I am thinking I should stay away from this product…
The site:http://factoidz.com/the-differences-between-brewers-yeast-and-nutritional-yeast/

139 Kat @ Cupcakekat January 5, 2011

i’ve tried that same brown rice pasta. Its so good, you can’t even tell its gluten free

140 Melissa January 5, 2011

Made this for dinner last night. It was amazing! Even the picky hubby loved it. Thanks a bunch!

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2011

glad you enjoyed it Melissa!

142 Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers January 9, 2011

I made this last night. Twas wonderful. All the comfort I was looking for. My non-vegan hubby loved it too. Thanks for the detailed recipe.

143 Cate January 9, 2011

Thank you, this was wonderful! Non-vegan roommate said it was better than alfredo, and is planning on making it himself soon!!

144 Shannon January 10, 2011

Yum…just finished a bowl for dinner with brocolli and peas. DELISH!

145 Eco-Vegan Gal January 14, 2011

Thanks for this recipe – I made it tonight and it was great!

146 Nicole January 17, 2011

Great recipe! We had it tonight, and just loved it. :)

147 Rachel May 16, 2012

Hi Angela, I’m making this recipe tonight and I can’t wait. I have a quick question though, I prefer using my food processor over my blender.. would I be able to do that w the sauce, or is there a reason to use a blender instead? Thanks!

148 Tamara June 20, 2012

OMG. My new fave. I am in the middle of a big bowl of this and am already wondering if I will be able to fit in another. It is full of flavor and thick and creamy, even better than I imagined. I thought the sauce smelled a bit strong when it was in the blender but it was delicious and only left me wanting more! I used kamut spirals and cashew milk, and added lots of veggies – broc, zucc, baby spinach, peas and corn and a chopped tomato. This will be a regular on the menu for sure, thanks Angela!

149 Shannon June 26, 2012

Great recipe…I’ve tried others and this is now my ‘go-to’ alfredo sauce mixed with capers and fresh parsley! Thanks!

150 aj July 23, 2012

works great with sunflower seeds as well! i had no cashews. so i used 1 1/4 cup sunflower seeds blended in the vitamix….awesome. thanks for the recipe.

151 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 24, 2012

Great tip about using sunflower seeds! I will keep that in mind.

152 Kristiana August 9, 2012

Sooo…the first time I made this I put 3/4 cup yeast powder :/ yuckkkkkkk lol I read directions wrong….. But finally I got it right and it was AMAZING!!!!!

153 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 9, 2012

haha ouch, I could see that! Glad you enjoyed it the second time around. Take care!

154 Jan Wood October 27, 2012

So, I was out of cashews and too cold to run out for some so I took the chance at trying this recipe with walnuts. I make a walnut parmesan so I figured it would be fine – and it was! Really delicious. Now I can’t wait to make it with the cashews.

Thanks Angela!

155 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012

good to know, thanks!

156 MelissaLynn February 15, 2013

I made this sauce on top of some sweet potato fettuccine with tempeh bacon, peas and broccoli for dinner last night. It was so easy and so DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for this recipe! I omitted the Tahini simply because I couldn’t find it in the store and my stomach was grumbling, but it didn’t seem to ruin the texture or flavor without it in there.

Best vegan alfredo sauce recipe I’ve found!

157 Tracey February 24, 2013

Oh so good, even my very picky 8 year old loves it! Next time I think I am adding strawberries for a berries and cream kind of pasta instead of greens. I also used quinoa pasta which worked well. Many thanks for the great recipes!

158 Faith March 1, 2013

Okay sooo i was super excited for this recipe. I have been vegan for 5.5 months (give or take a hidden dairy ingredient here and there). Since converting I have been craving an alfredo recipe. I was happy when I saw you hve one, as I have tried a fee other recipes of yours and was very pleased. So here I am making this delicious sauce while we eat lunch. I think I was too excited to wait for dinner time to make it and well the blender was already out since we had one ingrediant banana icecream with lunch. I put all the ingredients we had into the blender. I was again pleased to know we were only missing one (tahini). So, anyway I put them all in there and blend it up. It looks a little different than the last time I made alfredo. Which of course back then involved an entire block of cream cheese. Alright so it looked a little yellower than I imagined but whatever. I opened the blender and it smelled really weird and I immediately panicked a bit in my head. (Its not every day you can spend 8.00 on a bag of cashews, right?) however, I opted to taste it on a whim and oh my goodness! That is what I said “oh my goodness, thats some good alfredo sauce!” Which my toddler so eagerly repeated “its good?!!” I smiled and said “yep!” Then decided to share my experoence with you since you shared this delicious (and nutrious) recipe! I can not wait to try it tonight with some noodles and broccoli! Im sure it will be exactly what I have been longing for! Heh. Thanks again! :D

159 Nina March 10, 2013

Hi Angela,

Thanks for this alfredo sauce recipe! One question – have you ever tried using this sauce with Ezekiel brand spaghetti? If so, how did it turn out? I’ve personally found that type of noodle is a little challenging to cook.

Nina

160 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2013

Hi Nina, No I’m sorry I have not. Please let me know how it goes if you try it!

161 bonnie March 29, 2013

Made it. Loved it!!

162 Pinkiebesscadero May 5, 2013

Ho.ly.cow!!! RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS!! Bravo.

163 Heather May 5, 2013

Vanilla Almonds milk in Alfredo? hmmm…..

164 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2013

oops – my bad!! Luckily I dont buy vanilla anymore to prevent accidentally using it in my savory recipes!

165 Kira May 20, 2013

Can you sub coconut oil for the vegan butter? And can I serve this as a cold pasta dish? I really want to make this recipe today but I don’t want to eat something incredibly hot in this heat :)

166 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013

Hi Kira, I’m sorry, but I’m not sure on either questions! I’ve only made it a couple times and that was a while back. Please let me know if you try it out!

167 kira May 21, 2013

hi again! i did try putting it in the fridge for about 20 mins and it worked out great! i subbed coconut oil and it was fine. i also subbed the almond milk for unsweetened coconut milk (not the one that comes in a can) because i realized a little too late that i only had unsweetened vanilla. when i put it in the fridge though the flavors kind of melded a bit too much together< but i put some extra paprika, nutritional yeast, and salt on top and it was as good as new!

168 lindsi May 28, 2013

This recipe looks SO amazing! My husband is deathly allergic to nuts though; do you know of any substitutions i could try? We love cheese and i’m trying to replace it in our meals but every “cheese” recipe i come across has cashews or almonds..I’d appreciate any i deas you or anyone else might have!

169 Cait October 19, 2013

So I’m not the recipe guru but have you tried tofu? I’ve done some lovely “cheesey” things with tofu, especially as ricotta in lasagna. You could definitely do it in pasta like this but I have no idea how the texture would be. Might turn out with little tofu curds in it. You could try making a thicker sauce and just expect a ricotta-esque texture though.

170 Samantha June 22, 2013

I loved this sauce! I used half the mustard and tamari it called for and added extra garlic to better meet my husband’s tastes. Served it over butternut squash ravioli, and it was DELICIOUS! My husband is a meat-eater, but he enjoyed it as much as I did!

171 Monica July 2, 2013

I finally tried this sauce and loved it. I didn’t use the tamari/soy sauce because I was out and only had regular Almond Milk so it tasted a little sweet-it was still amazing! But I think next time I will be sure to have unsweetened almond milk on hand for this.

I really liked that I could throw it together without having to soak the cashews beforehand.

172 V 8 Mile September 8, 2013

Cashews make for great cheese, and this sounds like a great sauce. Like how the broccoli looks paired with the pasta.

173 Renee October 5, 2013

I used this recipe the other night but instead of blending the veggies I just steamed them and added it to the dish with the pasta. It was delicious and I definitely plan on using it again. In case anyone is wondering I used Ancient Grain pasta made with Quinoa, Amaranth and Brown Rice. I bought it at Whole Foods and I use it all the time, amazing. Thanks again for the great recipe :)

174 Joan October 6, 2013

My husband asked for Mac n chez for dinner tonight so I made this with the addition of broccoli and pearl onions. This is incredibly delicious!!! Oh my oh my! thank you. I didn’t change a thing.

175 Cait October 19, 2013

WOW!! I haven’t had alfredo in probably 5+ years and I had a random craving. Google brought me to this recipe. I just took my first bite and I am blown away. Great texture, amazing flavor. It was a tad soupy in the blender and I was a bit skeptical but once I heated it up with the pasta it was great. Also I didn’t have cashews on hand so I used blanched raw almonds. YUMMMMMMMMM

176 Viana November 8, 2013

I have to say I tried making 4 cups of this recipe today and I was surprised. I made one cup to start off and gauge the flavors. It was sour and tasted way too much of nutritional yeast. I reduced the yeast to one third of the measure, and the lemon and Dijon mustard by a half. Everything else remained the same. I also followed the suggestion of only using 3/4 cup of milk per serving so it wouldn’t be so watery. The consistency was just perfect. I liked the final taste after adjustments. I guess my advice would be to work your way up to some ingredients until you find your balance. Thank you for the recipe!

177 colleenbee November 23, 2013

Hi, do you think you could use coconut oil as a substitute for the non-dairy butter?

thank you! can’t wait to try this :) I’m going to add broccoli and sun dried tomatoes! :))

178 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2013

if you don’t mind the coconut flavour, I can’t see why not. enjoy!

179 Shauna December 9, 2013

Made this tonight with broccoli and beyond meat chicken added.. It was really delicious but definitely does not really taste like alfredo sauce. Still yummy and very creamy though.

180 bonnie December 11, 2013

I made this tonight and it was just the best. I wanted to say thank you for the recipe, because before I saw it I was feeling way down about some veg ricotta I bought. It kinda tastes like plastic… until I realized it is perfect for this recipe. Now I am happy and full of delicious healthy Alfredo.
thank you!!!

181 Amanda Arsenault December 12, 2013

I made this dinner in honor of my nana who passed away four years ago because alfredo was one of our favorite dishes to make together. I wasn’t vegan back then, but I have been for over a year now. I feel like she would have tried all the dishes my fiance and I make. I added a bit more garlic because we love it in my household and it was the best alfredo I have ever had. It really is amazing. Thank you for making me think of her on her birthday. Your recipes are amazing.

182 Ashley December 16, 2013

I made this tonight, and it was a big hit with my non vegan boyfriend! I added sauteed mushrooms, purple onion, spinach, and broccoli to the pasta. I also added fresh parsley to the alfredo mix. It was soo good, definitely gonna put this in my meal rotation!

183 Hannah January 30, 2014

Made this tonight for dinner and LOVED everything about it. I roasted some mushrooms and broccoli to toss on top with a bit of chili flakes. Fast, healthy and delicious = perfect.

184 Robin February 27, 2014

Absolutely incredible! This was my first time making vegan Alfredo sauce and I can’t see myself ever using a recipe other than this one. I followed it exactly but I did soak the cashews beforehand to make sure they blended up well. Oh and I used homemade almond milk. We served it with spaghetti squash pasta and sautéed shallots, mushroom, asparagus, and cherry tomatoes. Also had roasted Brussels sprouts on the side. I can’t wait to try it with different pastas like shells and different veggies like broccoli and sun dried tomato. So impressed, thanks!

185 Candace April 9, 2014

I make this at least once a week, we love it.. even my 4 year old son! Thank you so much for bringing alfredo back to our household!

186 Melissa M April 17, 2014

I absolutely love this recipe. I’m not really vegan, but my husband and I are lactose intolerant and I always welcome any recipes that substitudes lactose. My husband didn’t even realize it was vegan. Fettuccine Alfredo used to be our guilty-pleasure-once-a-year type of food. Now I can have it anytime and feel great! Thank you so much for sharing.

187 Halina April 24, 2014

This recipe looks great and I am definitely going to try making it over the weekend. Just one question – did you soak the cashews prior to blending?

188 Chanel May 9, 2014

Made this tonight. It was disgusting. I have made other vegan cheese pasta dishes and enjoyed this but this one. Yuck. The mustard and tamari was an unsavory combo.

189 Nanette May 13, 2014

I just made this for lunch! Yum. I used coconut milk, because I had a partial can left over in the fridge, and I threw in broccoli with the pasta for the last 3 minutes of cooking because I am super lazy. This was awesome!

190 michelle May 13, 2014

Loved this recipe. Thank you! Can the sauce be frozen, thawed, and heated? Or not such a good idea?

191 Edie Cornelius May 17, 2014

This came out a little thin for my taste, so I added about 1/4 block firm tofu. It came out thick and creamy, and it reheated just fine.

192 Kim June 16, 2014

If you use other gluten free pasta, quinoa with corn, rice with some other grain, you will not have the reheat issue. Only with brown rice pasta will that happen. To combat that, add fresh sauce to the existing left-over and the added moisture will fix the pasta.

193 Zanada June 21, 2014

I tried the Alfredo sauce recipe for my broccoli mushroom Alfredo. I didn’t have cashews on hand and almost fainted when I saw the price of raw cashews, but I have lots of raw sunflower seeds and used them instead. Amazing flavor! I’ve made the cashew based sauce before. I think I like the sunflower seed base just as well! The cashew has a sweetness about it that the sunflower seed does not, but if that bothers you just add a touch of honey. It works!
Broccoli, onions, garlic, crimini mushrooms, cooked pasta! Add that sauce! Yummy!

194 Fiona August 13, 2014

I really enjoyed this. I added some chipotle pepper to the sauce and also tossed the pasta with some roasted asparagus and mushrooms. It even reheated well! I will definitely make this again.

195 lisaL November 12, 2014

Hello, this sauce tastes very nice. But everytime I make it, when I pour the sauce over the pasta, the sauce is not creamy anymore, it seems to be absorbed by the pasta. No matter how much sauce I add, the problem still persists. What am I doing wrong?

196 Miranda January 17, 2015

I have made this millions of times now and its really good and really easy and since I have been using this website and these recipes I found that these ingredients would be pretty typical to find in my kitchen at any time. Even vegan staples. I just thought I would put a comment from someone who knows this recipes is really good rather than thinks it could be. It really is. And hopefully will help me become a recipe trier. Im crossing my fingers. I make OSG recipes every day. Every one is really great.

Thank you for all your hard work in making these recipes for us.

197 Toni April 13, 2015

This is such an amazing recipe you have come up with! The texture is one of the things most people seem to look for when trying vegan versions to the non-vegan meals some may be used to eating. I see many people make their “Alfredo” by using the cauliflower approach. Personally I have yet to find one I enjoy. The tahini and milk is the way to go for me. I have even taking the base of this recipe and added a few other ingredients to make cheese fries! Yayy lol.. Thanks for the recipe and keep them coming!

198 Heather July 4, 2015

Hi! I’m planning to make this for a vegan houseguest this weekend. We aren’t vegan but I really enjoy cooking new things. This looks awesome. I was wondering if I could skip the nutritional yeast? Could you tell me how it would affect the recipe? I have everything but that and I don’t think I’ll have time to get it!! Thanks

199 Angela September 29, 2015

For me this came out soupy and with kind of a weird flavor profile. Then I added 1 quarter of a block of high protein super firm tofu, and it was about perfect. Dunno how that makes sense, but I’ll take it!

200 joyce October 11, 2015

I followed the recipe exactly except I did not have tahini or lemon juice. Without those two things it tasted good. It’s not Alfredo sauce but tasted slightly similar. It was my first time using nutritional yeast and I was pleased with the “cheesy” nuttiness. After tasting it I decided to add sautéed minced onions and mushrooms. I recommend this recipe to those who want a nonstick Alfredo sauce.

201 Amanda December 10, 2015

I roasted a red pepper and threw it in this sauce in the blender, so delicious and quick for a weeknight! Thank you for all your wonderful recipes.