Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

Do I ever have a delicious vegan meal for you to kick off 2011!

IMG 8055 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

I must admit, this lentil loaf gave me a few grey hairs over the past couple days.

I made 4 trials of this lentil loaf.

I tried the Lentil Apple Walnut Loaf from Clean Food cookbook and also the old-fashioned Lentil Loaf from The Vegan Table Cookbook, in addition to a couple others. I was on a mission to find my perfect lentil loaf!

IMG 8014 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

This one below is from The Vegan Table:

IMG 8012 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

IMG 8058 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

I had problems with binding, so I decided to process (in food processor) 75% of the cooked lentils to help it stick together. I also ground up some oats to make oat flour and added some flax in addition to some other modifications. Good things happened!

First things first, cook the lentils.

IMG 7951 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

When the lentils are finished cooking (and cooling), take 75% of the lentils and process them in a food processor until almost smooth.

While the lentils are cooking, prepare the rest of the recipe. Mix your flax egg and set aside.

IMG 7941 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

Sautee your garlic and onion.

IMG 7947 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

Add in the grated carrot and optional celery or green onion.

IMG 7949 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

Mix well and cook over low heat for several minutes.

IMG 7950 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

Add in the grated apple, raisins, and chopped walnuts (do not chop the walnuts as small as shown below- it was from an earlier trial).

IMG 7953 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

Cook for a couple minutes.

IMG 7955 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

Add in kosher salt, Thyme, and black pepper.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the flax egg, lentils (processed and non-processed), breadcrumbs, veggie mixture, oat flour (I processed 1/2 cup regular oats), and ground flax. Stir well.

It will look like this:

IMG 8007 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

Press firmly into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.

IMG 8009 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

When I pressed it into the pan, I immediately knew that this loaf would hold together thanks to the ground oats, flax seed, and processed lentils.

It was much different than the previous trials…(note how crumbly it looks even in the pan before baking)

IMG 7958 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

Now spread on the glaze:

IMG 8010 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

Perfecto!

Now bake for 45 minutes at 350F, uncovered.

IMG 7960 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

Cool for 10 minutes.

Makes about 8 thick, mouth-watering slices. I knew that this loaf was a crowd pleaser when Eric got really excited over it! He said he would take this over meatloaf any day.

IMG 8055 thumb1   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

We enjoyed our lentil loaf with sautéed spinach greens and applesauce! Quick, easy, and delicious.

IMG 8057 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

I did a HUGE happy dance when this lentil loaf turned out. Eric and I both agreed that it is the best vegan loaf we’ve ever tried. I hope you enjoy it too! It makes a wonderful New Year’s meal if you aren’t feeling the Black Eyed Peas.

It is delicious, chewy, crunchy, and topped with the most addicting sweet glaze.

IMG 8051 2 thumb   Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

As for the crumbly leftovers from the previous 3 trials?

Eric suggested they would make a great vegan taco filling! I think that is a great idea. I’m going to freeze a bunch of it too.

Have a great start to 2011!

Amanda (Eating Up) January 1, 2011

I’m glad you tried a fourth time! That glaze looks so good I could eat it out of a bowl.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman January 1, 2011

That’s dedication right there. Thanks for cooking crumbly loaves so we don’t have to.

And Happy New Year!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 1, 2011

I always admire that you can go into the kitchen and face many flops and keep going! It’s def a goal for me in te new year to develop more of my own recipes but I’m always so afraid to fail. Any wise words :)? And a question; when you are working on a new recipe, specifically when baking, how do you deal with the costs and waste of flops?

happy new year!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

I usually tell myself that eventually I WILL be successful and the thought of that is very inspiring to me…and heck, I also need blog content so that right there is motivation to keep going and stick with it.
I rarely throw anything out (unless it is burned or not edible…) and often my flops are still decent so others eat them. Eric brings leftovers into work and his coworkers gobble them up or I freeze things or use them in other ways (such as the crumbly lentil loaves will be used as topping for salads or as taco fillings!).
As for cost, yes it is very expensive and I spend most of my money on food, but I cut back in other areas to offset the cost. I would rather buy good food than have an expensive cell phone or cable, but maybe I am just weird like that! ;)
I also buy many things from my wholesaler Ontario natural food coop (in bulk) which is soooo much cheaper than buying things from the grocery store shelves.
I hope this helps and goodluck to you!

thefruitpersuit (Sabine) January 2, 2011

Non you’re not weird- I also rather spend money on good food and quality ingredients than having 3 new outfits each month. But the cost of quality ingredients is what scares me from having too many baking ‘flops’ haha. Well you got me convinced anyway, I’ll suck it up and get more bold in the kitchen in 2011!

Sommer J January 1, 2011

How wonderful that it turned out so well! It looks absolutely gorgeous and worth the grief it gave you. What a great way to start the new year! Have a great day.

Bridget January 1, 2011

Amazing!!!! With these types of recipes, your goal of publishing a cookbook is in the BAG!

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 1, 2011

This looks delicious! I will have to try this, since I am a vegetarian and don’t eat meat! Looks like a great substitute for meatloaf! :)

You are starting 2011 with a bang! :)

Kristy @ KristyRuns January 1, 2011

Holy moly, woman! This looks amazing!

Camille January 1, 2011

This looks incredible! Thank you so much for the amazing recipe to start 2011!
Happy New Year!

Britt January 1, 2011

Yum! I made a walnut loaf for Christmas and I can’t wait to try this one out!

Dani @ Body By Nature January 1, 2011

So glad you were able to figure this out!! Such a great recipe :)

Have a very happy 2011!

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ Sketch-Free Vegan January 1, 2011

whoo! Nice post! I’ve made a mushroom walnut loaf before and it was so disgusting! Way too much lemon juice. This will be my new “meatloaf” recipe. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

mmm i bet mushrooms would be wonderful in this loaf! Oh now I want to try it. I guess I better eat these up first… ;)

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 1, 2011

Oh yummy ! I have never had luck with most loaf or non burger type recipes either but this really looks good :) Will give this a definite try. Happy New Year :)

Darcy @ She Sings at the Table January 1, 2011

I once had a bunch of crumbly lentil loaf to deal with, and found it was great with sweet potatoes and onions, fried up in a sort of “hash.” And I love the taco idea too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

mm great idea

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 1, 2011

I’m not a huge meatloaf lover so I think I would LOVE this!

Ricki January 1, 2011

I’ve had the same problem with pretty much every other vegan loaf recipe I’ve tried. This is why I always process my ingredients together when I make a loaf, too! I was getting tired of the nutroast on my blog and didn’t use it this year. . . so happy to have an alternative in this one! I’ll have to sub for the glaze, but I’m determined to use something similar, as I bet the glaze really helps to make the recipe stupendous. Looks fabulous! Happy New Year, Angela! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

yea the glaze is amazing!

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside January 1, 2011

Hmmmm, I was never one for meat loaf when I ate the real thing, but I’d be open to giving this one a try. Looks super protein-packed- in a hearty, healthy way… and taco filling? Genius, Eric, genius. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Teresa January 1, 2011

I am making this and the Chick Pea patties from Veganomicon alongf with roasted veggies for the work week. Thanks for all the hard work to make it so good. Don’t have apple butter, but I think it’ll be ok. Happy 2011

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

oh yea the apple butter would be optional I would think! It would still be tasty without :)

Cate January 1, 2011

I have a pinto and red lentil loaf that I’m pretty addicted to, but I’m excited to try this…because really is there anything wrong with having a handful of vegan meatloaf alternatives?

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 1, 2011

This sounds great! I am planning to incorporate more beans and lentils into my diet in 2011 so this is a great place to start. You guys must have a lot of lentil loaf leftovers after all those trials! :)

briana January 1, 2011

Looks delicious and kind of like the one that Jenna from Eat Live Run made that won her the USA Pea and Lentil contest!! :) HAPPY NEW YEAR!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 1, 2011

Nice job on a successful loaf! I’m so glad you finally got it! It looks great

Carrie (Love Healthy Living) January 1, 2011

Oh my gosh, I have been waiting for someone to figure out this recipe. My lentil loafs have always been a FAIL because they just turn into a lentil mess. Thank you, I can’t wait to try this!

stacey-healthylife January 1, 2011

I think it turned out really well and that glaze on top looks so good.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 1, 2011

I am amazed by how you keep trying even after recipe flops – you have a LOT of patience! I get frustrated the first time something I make doesn’t turn out, and then I never make it again!!

Nico January 1, 2011

I have had issues with the few things I’ve cooked from the Clean Food cookbook too … things either the texture was off but it was still edible/tasty or the texture was fine but it was kind of bland and boring … I guess that is why you must experiment! And I love how you don’t let things go to waste just because they aren’t blog worthy :)

Cassie January 1, 2011

I’ve made the lentil loaf from Clean Food a couple of times, it is delicious!
I find that it does crumble at fist, but oddly enough when I refrigerated it and take it out the next day for leftovers, it stays together!

Yours looks amazing! Another recipe I’ll have to try.
Happy New Year!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

I found refrigerating it helped (as in I could slice it) but once I put my fork through it, it fell apart again! It was delicious tho, which is why it will make a great topping for tacos and salads. Mmm

Allison @ Food For Healing January 1, 2011

hm that looks pretty good!

happy new year

Picky Nicky January 1, 2011

That looks SUPER GOOD :) I keep saying this, but you’re so talented! I really want to try this now, it would be perfect to prepare on the weekend and eat during the week.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 1, 2011

This looks amazing, Angela…and 4 trials later, i bet you were kinda hating lentils and the fact that you ever tried to embark on a lentil loaf! I will admit that I would trial a cookie recipe *maybe* 3 times. I would never trial a savory recipe more than once, but that’s my ummm sweet tooth priorities talking, clearly..haha :)

And don’t you HATE it when you follow a recipe to a Tee and it fails?! That should be illegal to have that happen! So sorry you were up to your eyeballs in lentil fails!

But the result you came up with….perfect!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

omg yesterday I had way too many lentils in my stomach!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 1, 2011

This looks great!! I’ve only cooked with lentils once, but it yielded great results. Thanks for sharing your recipe so I can try again!!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 1, 2011

I always seem to have problems with lentils too! I’m glad you persisted and made another mouth watering recipe.

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama January 1, 2011

Wow that glaze looks fab. I bet that makes the loaf! 1000 Vegan Recipes has s good lentil loaf I usually use but I am going to have to try yours now too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

is that a cookbook?

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 2, 2011

Yes, 1000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Roberston. Good cookbook. :-)

lisa January 1, 2011

This is merely a fan comment. I have been reading your blog loyally for the past several months. I rooted (and voted) for you for the food blog contest – you were amazing and think about it, in this world a vegan blog to get so far – you are clearly captivating with your lovely photos, kind voice, and honest style – I am so happy and grateful to read your blog and for your dedication to your passion and to your posts. Thank you!!! I want to wish you the best year yet – filled with love, productivity, passion, and health. I always look forward to a quiet moment (and believe me I have few) in which to check in and be invigorated by your words. Finally, I wanted to also let you know that you inspired me to create my own goals/resolutions for 2011 that I am tracking and will work diligently to abide by. They are all set in the positive – what to do, not what to don’t. I appreciate you and all you do!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

Lisa thank you for leaving me such uplifting words! All the best to you in 2011 :)

Doc (The Healthy PhD) January 1, 2011

I love lentil loaf!

Also, I’m late to the party, but I loved your 2011 goals so much that I modeled my plans after your attitude to the new year. Thanks for the inspiration.

kaila January 1, 2011

hmmm sound delish! i like anything lentil based…burgers, loaf, soup….whatever! they are so versatile and they glaze sounds like it would be amazing paired with them!

Faith @ lovelyascharged January 1, 2011

I love Eric’s idea for saving the leftovers. The only bad thing about doing recipe trials is when it buggers up and then you feel like you either have to toss it or eat something that’s not that great…salvaging the first versions is always awesome and I bet that would be phenomenal in a tortilla with some salsa!

Sara @ Baking and Wine January 1, 2011

Very interesting. I do like meatloaf, and my husband and I both eat meat, but we’re also very into vegetarian cooking. I think he might actually like this. I’ll put it on my list. I think there at least 5 of your recipes on the list, haha.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

Eric said it was better than meatloaf which blew my mind! I think men could certainly enjoy it :)

Carlee January 1, 2011

OoOoO I want to try this! I am going vegetarian for 1 week and vegan for the next just to see how my body reacts and see if it makes me feel different!
Thanks for the recipe. Thanks for ALL you recipes ;)

Marie-Journey to Body Zen January 1, 2011

This looks great! I think it could be very versatile for many dishes. Thanks for experimenting for us!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 1, 2011

Good call pureeing the lentils and the oats.. it looks great.

Page 1 of 41234»