Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

IMG 7758 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

I cannot stop eating the Wheat Berry and Bean Salad…it is so good!

However, I must admit that today’s recipe also stole my heart.

My goal for this week is to cook + blog 5 healthy lunch and dinner recipes. You won’t be seeing any desserts on the blog this week I’m afraid. I am all sugared out at the moment! The closest thing I may get to dessert this week is a vegan banana bread if I can ever get the recipe perfect (I’m on trial #3 right now!).

One main factor in healthy eating is planning ahead and making healthy food readily accessible. This week, I plan on stocking my fridge and freezer full of healthy leftovers that can be enjoyed in a snap. Working in a bakery and writing a food blog means that I am often too tired at the end of the day to cook a big dinner. If I can have delicious leftovers waiting in the fridge, I am much more likely to stay on the right track and eat meals that are balanced.

And if all else fails, I have lots of cookies in the freezer.

Today’s recipe prep was improved with some new kitchen tools!

IMG 7703 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

I have needed some good knives for a while now and Eric got me a couple for Christmas. My heart went all a flutter for these Wusthof knives. I got a 20cm Chef’s knife and a 9cm paring knife.

They rock my world!!

IMG 7705 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

I also feel much safer chopping with these knives as compared to my old dull knives that would slide all over the place.

Up next for Back on Track Week is a slightly spicy and energizing rainbow rice and bean salad, full of so many wonderful ingredients you will be bouncing off the walls in no time!

This recipe is so irresistible, I just had to eat it for breakfast this morning. It gave me so much energy too!

IMG 7753 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

I got a few new vegan cookbooks for Christmas, one of which is this Vegan Yum Yum that I am very excited about. I’m hoping to do a post in the future talking about my cookbook collection once I test some of them out a bit more.

IMG 7761 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

I cooked the brown rice last night to save some time this morning!

IMG 7713 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

Gather up your spices!

IMG 7707 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

Note to self: Do not attempt to carry a board across the kitchen with mustard seeds. Half of them will end up on the floor.

IMG 7708b thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

It wasn’t pretty.

If you are not a fan of spicy foods, you may want to omit the red pepper flakes and then slowly add the rest of the seasonings to adjust to taste.

In a large skillet, sauté the onion until golden and then add the spices.

IMG 7724 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

I also added a clove of minced garlic and 1 chopped green onion for more flavour.

IMG 7725 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

Gather your black beans, Tamari (organic soy sauce), 2 medium carrots, and frozen peas and corn.

IMG 7710 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

I doubled the vegetables in the original recipe because…why not?

IMG 7722 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

Grate carrots.

IMG 7715 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

After the spices start to bubble a bit, add your black beans and Tamari to the mixture and stir well.

IMG 7726 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

I tasted this bean mixture and it was so salty, I thought there was no way I was going to like this dish. But lo and behold, after I added the frozen veggies and rice it tasted just right. The frozen veggies also release a bit of water into the mixture to help thin out the Tamari sauce.

Heat for about 5 minutes and then add in your carrots, peas, and corn.

IMG 7727 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

Stir well.

IMG 7730 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

Once this mixture is cooked through, stir in your cooked rice.

IMG 7731 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

That’s right.

IMG 7732 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

…and serve. For breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

IMG 7743 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

It makes about 6 cups so you will have lots of delicious leftovers for lunches and quick dinners!

IMG 7744 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

This Rainbow salad is spicy, but not too spicy, and it is salty thanks to the Tamari, but it wasn’t too salty. Everything seemed to balance out in the end and I wouldn’t change a thing.

I also loved the texture that the vegetables brought to this dish. You could experiment with adding all kinds of vegetables too! Mushrooms or broccoli would be really fun.

IMG 7748 thumb   Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad

Work calls me now and I’m going to squeeze in a Booty Camp Fitness DVD later on today. I’ve been trying to prepare my muscles for my first Body Pump class (in a few years!) tomorrow. My muscles are going to be in shock, no doubt. I’m excited to be pumping iron again. I will be talking about my 2011 health goals soon!

Will you be trying out any new fitness activities for the New Year?

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin December 29, 2010

I make a very similar salad to that often. It’s so great to use any veggies and grains you have and then throw in some beans and you have a complete delicious and healthy meal!

And what a huge difference good knives make, don’t they!? My boyfriend is a chef and before we moved in together, I had crappy knives and didn’t know any better. Now we have all nice sharp knives and it makes chopping things a breeze!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

I almost took off a finger or two in the past 2 years with our knives…I know some ppl are scared of sharp knives but they are actually quite safe when used properly! You dont have to press hard :)

Katy @ A Healthy Shot December 29, 2010

I will definitely be trying out some new workouts this year! I really want to get into strength training, as well as find some new forms of cardio exercise.
I have a warm-weather vacation coming up in March so I’ve been looking back through your ‘Whittle My Middle’ series for inspiration! I can’t wait to hear about your 2011 goals :)

Amanda (Eating Up) December 29, 2010

Isn’t it amazing how beautiful and colorful fresh produce is? It beats artificial coloring everyday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

yes, veggies make my heart sing.

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food December 29, 2010

The recipe looks awesome!

SO jealous of your Wusthofs ;)

Allison @ Food For Healing December 29, 2010

that looks so colourful and healthy, i like it!
I want to try a bodypump class and spin class if i join a new gym in 2011, I need to make 2011 my best year yet all around!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing December 29, 2010

My main fitness goal is to get back into yoga! I love it and keep falling out of the habit. That salad looks amazing, btw! So colorful.

Roz December 29, 2010

The recipe looks soooo good. I quite covet your Wusthofs!!! Good knives make SUCH a difference!!!! Have a great day. Good luck with the banana bread recipe tweak!!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 29, 2010

Vegan Yum Yum is the BEST! There is not a bad recipe in that book.

glad to hear!

Kristie December 29, 2010

You speak the truth – and the Rainbow Rice and Bean recipe is my go to one… Ange, it is sooo much better w/ the Worcestershire sauce though! :)

Kathryn December 29, 2010

Your posts this week have been really inspiring for getting back on track, and I love that they are BEFORE New Years. That is really helpful. I’m always inspired here!

After a decadant Christmas in Las Vegas and lots of amazing vegan food we came home and decided to go head first into developing a running routine to mix in with our yoga this year to drop some weight off in 2011. Last night we got new shoes, the nike+ tracker chips, and even some running socks. Made a stop at Lulu in vegas – we are ready to go!

k8 December 29, 2010

I always mix up rice and beans and vegetables, but I constantly screw up the spices. Can’t wait to give this one a try!

Cora December 29, 2010

I’ve been prepairing for BodyPump too! I’ve done it before, but am somehow scared of the aching muscles I always have afterwards (as in: can’t get up, can’t get down, can’t smile…). It goes away after a couple of lessons, but still. Scared.

And are you planning on doing a challange again? I’d love to participate this time (am fairly new to your blog)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

Im not planning on a challenge at this point, but maybe in the future!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 29, 2010

Ooh, I recently bought Vegan Yum Yum, and I love it! The pictures are so vibrant and pretty!

This looks vibrant and pretty as well!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

im loving it too…very unique recipes in there eh?

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 29, 2010

I love that the past two salads you’ve posted are so savable. I completely agree: eating healthy is all about having those clean options at your fingertips! On a completely different note: how do you defrost your frozen cookies? I’ve tried the microwave but they’re just never as good as the original… I’m looking to squeeze more yoga into my fitness regime this year. It’s all about the OM :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

I like to eat some cookies right from the freezer..Im weird like that. Other times I defrost them on the countertop, but that’s only if I am planning in advance

Cindy Robinson December 29, 2010

Ahhh, my heart goes a flutter when I see those knives as well. I received those exact two for my wedding 4 years ago. I love them so much. I always make sure I hand wash them, and they go back in their box after I’m finished. I even talk to them sometimes! Ooooh and that lovely…”shhhiiiing” sound they make when you pull them out to use them. Wow, I’m beginning to sound a wee bit creepy. Enjoy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

hahaha I know what you mean

Camille December 29, 2010

Those are some gorgeous knives! I was about to run and show my boyfriend how pretty they are and then I realized that he wouldn’t care. Only foodies (or hunters) care about things like amazing knives :)

Cate December 29, 2010

Your salad recipes all look so amazing! Thank you for sharing them!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 29, 2010

That looks delicious! Cumin is one of my favorite spices.

I’m trying hot yoga for the first time next week. I’m crossing my fingers that the others in the class won’t point and laugh! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

let me know how you like it…ive been thinking of trying it myself

Amber K December 29, 2010

I definitely need to invest in some quality knives. I remember I made a salad at a friend’s house once and I was amazed at how easily I was able to chop everything. And yet I still havne’t gone out and gotten any better knives! Shame on me. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

it’s one of those things I probably would never have bought if it wasn’t a gift!

Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life December 29, 2010

Gorgeous salads the last few days Angela!! I like your “Back on Track” week, I definitely need if after all of the heavy eating from the last few weeks. Those knives look nice too, one thing they always told us in culinary classes was that it’s easier to cut yourself with a dull knife then a sharp one, because with the dull knife you have to saw it, which leaves more room for slippage and accidents. Looking forward to see lots of finely chopped veggies in the next few days!! ;-)

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ Sketch-Free Vegan December 29, 2010

those blend of spices sound so aromatic! Whenever there’s mustard in a vegan recipe you can be sure it will taste hearty and amazing.

Andrea December 29, 2010

Oooh I looked at that cookbook, looks amazing. Nice looking salad too! The knives are gorgeous- Wusthoff is a great brand! I work at a kitchen store and we sell a lot of them. :) I’m eyeing them but saving up- definitely an investment!

Tori @ FIToriBLOg.com December 29, 2010

LOVE LOVE LOVE MY WUSTOFF KNIVES!!!
I’ll be working out w/ a belly – a preggo belly…that’s new to me! :)

AGS December 29, 2010

Congrats and enjoy! If you’ve ever lacked variety in your routine before, being pregnant will definitely get you to listen to your body and improvise. Every month, something changes, and you have to figure out what to do about it. I’m in month 6, and have figured out that I’m best of incorporating a several 10 minute sessions of stretching/body weight resistance/walking works best. Earlier, I was still running (slowly) 45 min. at a time.

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 29, 2010

you had me at spicy…i’m all about the extra flavor that heat can bring!

ezzie December 29, 2010

That’s a gorgeous salad! Haahaa, recipe bookmarked for sure. :)

jenna December 29, 2010

I love your new knives!!! they look great! You will have to let us know how they hold up!

Healthy Chocoholic December 29, 2010

Yummy! That looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

Kat December 29, 2010

This looks delicious and healthy. I love making rice dishes so I’ll make sure to use this recipe some time.
I got a new knife just before Christmas and its crazy sharp but works very well

Carol December 29, 2010

great looking salads! I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now and I love all the beautiful and inspiring recipes! Looking forward to the lunch/dinner recipes coming up this week- and hoping that you could show some recipes that would be freezer-friendly. Always so much easier to be able to cook a few meals on the weekend to have on hand for the week!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) December 29, 2010

Oh my gosh that salad looks good! I love grainy salads – my favorite is a quinoa and pomegranate one.
Isn’t it wonderful to get kitchen stuff for Christmas? Except when you can’t figure them out. My mom got this cheese slicer that seemed to randomly have this pointy part sticking out – it hurts! (maybe it’s a secret weapon ;) ) But overall, kitchen gadgets make the best presents!

Jen December 29, 2010

This looks amazing as always!!! I love how it makes a lot too :)

Jen

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

me too! the more the merrier. I already froze some…

Lauren December 29, 2010

I LOVE spicy foods- thanks to my bf who adds spices to everything. I’m going to try out spinning & maybe zumba.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 29, 2010

That salad/recipe looks perfect…and I love how the recipes the last two days are full of color! Bright, beautiful, bold colors from the veggies found in nature. Love that…especially at a time of year when chocolate and white frosting is more the norm…which I love too :)

Enjoy your new knives! Both Wusthof and Henckles are my fave knives and Ive always said if there’s something I have to splurge on, it’s good knives b/c I cant stand just trying to hack thru my food and with good knives that’s not an issue. ENJOY them as I know you are already!

Nicole December 29, 2010

The VeganYumYum app is one of my favorite recipe apps… I’m assuming it contains many of the same recipes but nice to have at the grocery store when that “what on earth am I going to make for dinner” moment happens.

courtney December 29, 2010

Ohmygoodness I HAVE to make this! It just sounds so tasty and healthy. Plus my boyfriend will hate it, so there is more for me (and I can add mushrooms!). Muahahahaha!

positively evil muhauha

Melinda December 29, 2010

That looks really delicious.

No new fitness activities for me, but maybe adding in some old favorites at home, which I have not done in a while.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 29, 2010

Agreed on the mustard seeds! I had a similar experience with quinoa recently – not good!! I love your new kitchen gadgets. I got a few myself this Christmas and they’re some of my favourite presents! I hope you have a great time at Body Pump. In the new year, I plan to incorporate more yoga into my fitness regimen because I know it makes me feel SO good afterwards. I’m excited! :)

carlee December 29, 2010

As I am soon to be getting my license I am hoping to just make it to the gym lots more!

Maureen December 29, 2010

Angela, I am trying to find your blog on deciding on which blender to buy as well could you please advise which site your purchased your vita mix from there seem to be several to choose from.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

I bought it from the vitamix website because I couldnt decide!

Maureen December 29, 2010

Thanks which model did you buy and do you have any regrets?

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes December 29, 2010

I’m rejoining the gym tomorrow and I can’t wait!!!

Katie December 29, 2010

I’m staying at my sister’s house right now and she has a Wusthof! She doesn’t even cook either…it isn’t fair. I’m getting spoiled though.

Page 1 of 212»