10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

2010 was a crazy, busy, and exciting year! I still cannot believe that it is almost over.

One of my favourite things about having a blog is the ability to look back in time and assess my progress. I tend to have a bad memory for these things and a blog helps me pretend like I have my life in order. I was never an organized person until I started my blog in 2008!

Tonight, I’m going to take a moment to review the 10 goals I set for myself last December. If you are curious, here are the goals I set for myself in 2009 and the recap of how I did is here.

Goals for 2010:

1) Work at the local Farmer’s market this spring/summer selling bakery goods- goal accomplished

IMG 9926 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap IMG 9957 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions RecapIMG 1212 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap IMG 2000 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

Eric and I worked at an organic farmer’s market for a couple months this summer. It was a crazy, busy time!

2) Retail Glo Bars- goal accomplished

I sold Glo Bars at a health food store for the better part of the year.

3) Run my 3rd half marathon (May 30, 2010) and set a new PR (sub 1 hour 56 mins.)- goal accomplished

IMG 82132 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

I beat my half marathon PR by 1 minute and 20 seconds, finishing in 1 hour 55 mins and 10 seconds. For the recap, see this post.

4) Write a book- not accomplished

IMG 6107 thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

I will be talking about this in my goals for 2011!

5) Furnish our bedroom and decorate- goal accomplished

Our bedroom was a plain bachelor pad…with old university furniture at the beginning of 2010…

IMG 0796 thumb1 thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

It wept, my friends.

Then, I did a surprise Ikea redecorate for Eric in February 2010 which was an improvement at a low cost.

IMG 0802 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

Then, Eric did a surprise redecorate for me in September 2010 painting and installing hardwood throughout the bedroom and hallway.

20100924IMG 8766 thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

The surprise continued into December if you catch my drift…lol.

We finally got rid of this old carpet!!

IMG 0827 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

Here is what our room looks like as of today, after installing hardwood, painting, and purchasing our very first set of bedroom furniture:

IMG 7765 thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

We splurged on our first ever King sized bed. It is GLORIOUS! No more fighting a 6’2” male for space.

IMG 7772 thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

We still have lots left to do, including wall art and installing a new closet organizer, but we are happy with how it is coming along. I will be sure to post after pictures when it is complete!

6) TRAVEL goal accomplished

20100813IMG 0120 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap IMG 33232 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

In 2010, I traveled to Florida, Chicago, Paris, and Calgary. It was a welcomed change after not traveling at all in 2009.

7) Attend a Blog Conference goal accomplished

20100813IMG 6016 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

20100814IMG 6248 thumb thumb1   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap 20100814IMG 6310 thumb thumb1   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

I attended the Healthy Living Summit in August!

8.) Save MONEY goal somewhat accomplished

I saved money in 2010, but I did not track exactly how much I saved. We also stuck to our cutbacks (we have had no cable TV for 2 years now, no pricey text/data cellphone plan, etc). We also recently sold Eric’s car and we are a one car family now. Despite the positive changes, I need to be more specific in 2011 and set a precise goal of how much I want to save!

9) Get new packaging for Glo Bars and purchase UPC codes for Glo Bars not accomplished

This was not in the budget for 2010.

10) Raise money for those in need! goal accomplished

I donated over $500 on behalf of Glo Bakery to charities such as NEDIC and also raised over $2,100 in Shop 4 A Cause for Cancer Research. The total amount we have raised for Cancer is now $6,525. Thanks everyone!

Of course, there were a few things in 2010 that I did not anticipate when I set my goals back in December 2009…

1) Eric and I trained for and participated in our first beginner’s triathlon! (Part 1 and Part 2)

IMG 14222 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

2) I ran my second 10k race in Sept 2010, finishing with a chip time of 49 mins and 50 seconds. I beat my PR by 7 minutes! This was a real turning point for me because it showed me just how much I could improve when fueling my body with a healthy diet and being kind to myself.

20100906IMG 2419 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

4) I pushed my limits as a blogger from September until December and made it to the final round in the Project Food Blog competition.

20101024 IMG 9169 thumb thumb   10 in 2010 Resolutions Recap

5) Eric and I produced our first ‘professional’ recipe video. It was pobably the most challenging task of the entire year!

Often, the exciting things in life are the things we do not plan for or anticipate.

I think a successful goal list is one that is made up of a couple ‘very difficult’ or ‘unlikely’ items (such as my goal of writing a book, which would have been very difficult in 2010 with my busy schedule), items that are attainable with hard work (the half marathon, fundraising, and farmer’s market), and then a couple fun items (such as travel).

I like to create my goal list so that it has 1 or 2 ‘not accomplished’ goals leftover at the end of the year. That way, I know that my list was neither too easy nor too hard. Expect my 2011 goal list to have a couple ‘out there’ or ‘unlikely’ items on it too!

Coming up…my goals for 2011. I will be asking you what yours are too, so get those wheels turning.

Did you accomplish or experience anything in 2010 that was not originally on your radar and hit you by surprise?

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] December 29, 2010

Way to go on accomplishing the majority of your goals and more!! I can definitely see a book in your future =)

Mary (A Merry Life) December 29, 2010

Great job Angela! You accomplished most of your goals and that’s awesome. Love the bedroom now, btw. ;)

Brie @ Brie Fit December 29, 2010

I posted about this last week–I definitely achieved some goals, failed on others, and did some awesome things I never expected. Here’s hoping 2011 keeps surprising me!

Also, Sketchie has such a beautiful coat!

Jennifer December 29, 2010

I hope you get to publish a book next year! I know I’d buy it:)

Natalia@TheHealthScript December 29, 2010

Looks like 2010 was an amazing year for you! Can’t wait to see your goals for 2011! :)

jane December 29, 2010

hi! i have read your blog for about 6 months now-love it! i am not vegan but still love your attitude towards food and exercise! i just had to comment-your bedroom looks fantastic, what a change. also, wanted to say that i started drinking green monsters this past summer-yum yum!!

Noorin Ladhani December 29, 2010

Sounds like you had a great year!! I think a few goals in common – I definitely am trying to get a book under my belt in 2011 as well.

I traveled a ton in 2010 which was absolutely amazing and totally not something I thought I would be doing at the beginning of the year. I went to New York, London, Morocco, and Chicago and now that I have the travel bug I will be adding more travel to my 2011 goals.

Lisa December 29, 2010

My main goal for 2011 is to start my own blog! I have a name, theme and design in mind. All thats waiting is for Jan 1st to come and for me to stick to it. So since I know I’m beginning to blog, I guess my goal is really to keep up with it and make it successful, inspiring, and fun for myself to write and others to read. Reading your blog everyday for 6 months has definitely been my inspiration and I’m so blessed to have found it. You’re the best!!! :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet December 29, 2010

your 2010 goals/accomplishments are extremely impressive! i really should be more specific about goals… this was so motivating!

Wendy December 29, 2010

Wow. I really love how you set goals for yourself and then put yourself out there publically and evaluate how you have done. Even though I have a blog and am possibly the most public person that I know, I really have to get some cahones to do this. Very interesting!!!!!! You go girl! Can’t wait to read what your goals are in 2011 and then follow your progress.

Jennifer Wolfe December 29, 2010

Congratulations, what a year you’ve had! I absolutely loved every single one of your entries into the Project Food Blog (you were robbed, eh hem, sorry did i say that out loud??)! So I’m not answering your post question, but I have 2 for you. The Healthy Food Summit in Chicago, I think you mentioned that you were going to post your notes from the conference. Did I get that right? But I don’t ever remember seeing them. If you did, would you pointing me in the right direction? Question #2, I thought you made something delicious very recently with pearled barley but now I can’t seem to find it. Can you steer me there too? Thanks so much Angela! I don’t write often but I just need to tell you that I read your posts every day and I LOVE THEM!! Jennifer (Philadelphia)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

That is funny you mentioned pearled barley because I have never used it but im planning a recipe this week using it! You must have read my mind? :)

I did not post notes from the conference because there were videos provided online that are much better than my notes would have been! View the vids here: http://healthylivingsummit.com/watch-hls-now/

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

I had to tell you…I just looked at my barley and I got ‘pot barley’ by mistake. I wonder if that will make a difference?

Leanne (For Health's Sake) December 29, 2010

Pearl Barley works wonderfully in soup! :)

Erin December 29, 2010

Sorry to butt in – I believe pot barley takes longer to cook than pearl barley, which is more highly processed/polished. I have used them both with success. Hope this helps!

Jennifer Wolfe December 30, 2010

Thank you! maybe it was millet and I’m losing my mind…
Thank you!!

Ashley December 29, 2010

I love your room redesigns they’re so cute. Its awesome that you achieved so many of your goals. I didn’t set any for 2010 but I definitely will for 2011.

bitt December 29, 2010

i like how you organized your goals with some stretches and some fun ones. i will keep that in mind for my goal setting for 2011.

Leanne (For Health's Sake) December 29, 2010

Beautiful bedroom! It looks so nice and cozy.

Are you still selling bars in stores? Any plans to sell them in Alberta?

Love your blog Ang! Can’t wait to see the 2011 goals! :)

Sonia December 29, 2010

I definitely should be more organized. I’ve already began writing down my goals for 2011. Finishing my book and getting it published (11 years in the freaking making) is my main goal along with getting my art in a show in a gallery in San Francisco, solo or with others. Can’t wait to see your goals for 2011.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 29, 2010

Wow, 2010 was a really awesome year for you! Congrats on acheiving most of your goals! :)
I did so much this year that I never anticipated doing! Expecially running- I never would have thought I would be able to run distances, or do it for fun!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed December 29, 2010

Great post! I loved reading this – well done on your achievements this year! – it made me think of my own situation. it is nice to see how far you have come :)
Heidi xo

Lizzie December 29, 2010

I didn’t really have any goals for 2010 – so I guess that’s one of my goals for 2011 – set more goals :) I did achieve one thing in mind which was to run my first 1/2 marathon and run a sub 2-hour, which I did, so that was pretty good! Setting goals is important, but it always makes me nervous!

Camille December 29, 2010

Woah, you had quite a year!
This year I ran 2 marathons! This time last year you never would have been able to convince me that I could do that!

Lauren December 29, 2010

Good job on accomplishing your goals! I would love to see a book in the future. This year, I transferred schools & majors which was not in my original goals. It was scary at first, but it ended up being the best thing for me!

Rach December 29, 2010

What a busy year! I especially love your bedroom makeover! Hope your 2011 is even more delightful! :)

Kathryn December 29, 2010

My goal is to set some goals…seriously, I’m so bad at setting goals and it is so important!

Lisa December 29, 2010

You had some great goals and it looks like you accomplished the majority of them. I set monthly goals in 2010 so I don’t really have a year’s recap to check on. I did pretty well each month so I’m ending 2010 feeling good about what I accomplished.

2011 I hope to start writing my book too.

Liz December 29, 2010

Congratulations on accomplishing all those goals! I am impressed…I need to think long and hard about my goals for 2011 so I can accomplish as may of them as you did!

Katherine December 29, 2010

Wow, you really were busy in 2010! Your bedroom looks great! One of the first things I did in my last house was replace the carpet with hardwood. It’s so worth it!

Can’t wait to hear your goals for 2011!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama December 29, 2010

Great job reaching so many of your goals. I am a big goal setter. Look forward to reading what you are striving toward in 2011.

Katy @ A Healthy Shot December 29, 2010

Love the recap of your goals!!

I had a major accomplishment in 2010 that definitely wasn’t on the radar- I quit my job and am now going back to school to become a teacher!! Reading your blog and the posts about how you changed careers definitely inspired me to pursue my passion :)

erica December 29, 2010

congrats! i massively failed my 10 in 2010 :(

The Peanut Butter Addict December 29, 2010

What a great sounding year you’ve had! One thing I wanted to accomplish in 2011 was run a 10k race for the first time, but it turns out I’m doing it this Friday, so technically still 2010 :D I hope I do well so that way I can set a higher goal for the new year!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 29, 2010

You did a great job on your goals for this year! I’m ready to make mine for 2011!

GlendaM December 29, 2010

Congratulations on all your success in 2010. Look forward to reading about your journeys in 2011. All the best!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) December 29, 2010

Great job accomplishing your goals! You had such a busy year. :)

Lori December 29, 2010

What truly worthwhile goals and accomplishments! I love it! I need some goals of my own… ha!

Good job!

Sana December 29, 2010

You have had an EPIC year! I can’t wait to see what 2011 brings for you!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 29, 2010

Angela I love your post! Thank you for sharing it with us! Your have done more in a year than most people do in 20 :)

Your 2010 was awesome! I love your bedroom decor btw. I redecorated my master in 2010, too! Well, it was Dec 09 to be technical. I like how yours is clean, crisp, modern and my taste is really similar to what you did.

I *just* published my 2011 Intentions. Everything from paying off credit card debt to giving 110% to my marriage and parenting to spending more time with real life friends to saving money.

It really helped me to publish it and organize my thoughts…and keep myself accountable :)

Jil @ Big, City, Lil Kitchen December 29, 2010

Amazing! So much accomplished. I need to go back and take a peek at my goals for 2010.

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) December 29, 2010

Wow, you accomplished a lot this year. It’s definitely nice to have goals in mind and work toward those. I prefer to make goals instead of resolutions — okay, it’s really just a name change but whatever ;) — because it makes me feel like I have an entire year to make something happen.

Gorgeous pictures, as always.

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 29, 2010

Congratulations on accomplishing all you did in 2010! You rocked it girl! 2011 is going to be even better! :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels December 29, 2010

If you asked me on January 1st 2010 if I could have ever imagine having quit my job this year I would have called you CRRRRAZY! But now I’m a week away from my last day there.

Cara Craves... December 29, 2010

It’s great to reflect on all the things that you have done this year.
Looks like you have tons to be proud of!

Page 1 of 3123»