Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

IMG 7694 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

I deemed that this week is officially my Get Back On Track Week!

Over the past few weeks, my eating, exercise, and home life/work routines have been all over the place.

Wait, who am I kidding, my life has been all over the place since September actually!

My goal for the next few days is to get organized and get back on track, hopefully achieving a nice balance once again. I absolutely love the last week of the year to get organized for the new year ahead. This week, I will also be talking about my goals for 2011 and I will be going over last year’s goals to see how I did.

Many of you expressed interest in the salad that my mother-in-law made, so I thought today would be a great time to do a recipe post on a healthy salad that makes for a great ‘getting back on track’ dish! I am just in love with this salad. It is in my Top 5 all-time favourite salads for sure.

IMG 7688 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

IMG 7641 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Gather up the troops and the wheat berries that you soaked overnight! Place the wheat berries in a medium sized pot covered with 3 inches of water and simmer on medium for 1 hour.

IMG 7645 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

IMG 7647 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

While the wheat berries are cooking, dice your little heart out.

IMG 7651 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

You want the veggies diced very small.

Stir the veggies together in a large bowl and set aside.

IMG 7656 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Now make your dressing with Tamari, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, hot mustard (I didn’t have any), and fresh lemon juice.

IMG 7662 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

I decided to try reducing the oil in this recipe by half and it turned out amazing! I actually think I liked the dressing better with 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil vs. 4 tbsp. It really made the balsamic vinegar pop.

IMG 7663 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Whisk.

IMG 7667 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

I realized that I didn’t have any navy beans after all, so I decided to use chickpeas instead.

IMG 7670 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

After 1 hour of simmering, I drained and rinsed the wheat berries.

IMG 7674 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Add them in and stir well.

Add dressing and mix again.

IMG 7677 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.

IMG 7681 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Serve!

IMG 7685 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

One of my favourite salads of all time. It has so many amazing flavours and textures and it is high in protein and fibre too! I think this was my first time trying wheat berries too. They add such a great texture to salads. I will definitely be buying more in the future!

IMG 7688 thumb1   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

It makes about 8 cups worth. Enough to fuel the week ahead.

IMG 7696 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Now that the holidays are drawing to a close, are you thinking about getting back on track or re-organizing your life in some way?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 29, 2010

Love this recipe! Where do you buy your wheat berries though? I haven’t been able to find them at Loblaws!

I want to get back on track with organizing my time better. Towards the end of the semester I spent way too much time on school work and too little time with my friends. This upcoming semester I want to have more time for my friends and for personal pursuits like cooking and yoga!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

I’m not sure, I will have to ask my MIL where she bought them!

Margaret December 29, 2010

I bought the wheat berries at a Health Food Store
MIL

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

thanks mom!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day December 29, 2010

I just love wheatberries! They are perfect for salads and this one looks wonderful.

Sruthi December 29, 2010

The salad looks amazing, I will definitely try it out. Where do you buy wheat berries?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

im not sure where my MIL got them, I will have to ask her.

Lisa December 29, 2010

If you’re in the US you can get them in the bulk bins at Whole Foods.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

My MIL got them at a health food store. They were also called Wheat Kernels and not wheat berries :)

sara December 29, 2010

Most stores in Canada have them in the bulk bins!

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond December 30, 2010

Thanks Lisa! I will look for them in Whole Foods.

Leanne December 29, 2010

I really feel the need to organize my life before 2011 starts. I always feel like a new year offers a new clean slate, and I like to begin the new year feeling in control and organzied! I’ll be cleaning & organizing tonight & tomorrow night!

Stephanie December 29, 2010

I made this salad for lunch today and it looks gorgeous! I made it exactly as the recipe said, however, I would make two changes next time. These are both based on my personal taste…i would start with one clove of garlic, then add more if necessary. Secondly, i would use about half the amount of parsley(it’s not my favorite). Thanks for the entree ideas this week, I like sweets, but I love savory!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

Great feedback! The beauty of it is that you can really adjust it to what you prefer. :) Hope you like it even more next time!

Tami December 29, 2010

I have been following your wonderful blog for some time but I have never left a comment. This salad was amazing. I made it with farro and quinoa. It was delecious!

Alicia December 29, 2010

I just made this with black quinoa instead of wheat berries and it worked great, so yummy!!! I slapped some pesto hummus on top too, can’t wait to make the rainbow one :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

its so good with hummus!

Jessica Nichols January 1, 2011

This is SO good. Just made it. I love so many of your recipes! Thanks!! I just read online that you can “pop” wheat berries (like popcorn) to snack on them or top salads. I’m going to have to try this too. It did say to partially cook them before popping.

Stephanie P January 3, 2011

I made this last week and sent half of it home to my parents house. They called me tonight to tell me they are currently fighting over who gets the last little bit and that I have to make it again ASAP! HAHA… we ALL loved it! It was soooooo good!!!! Happy New Year :)

Emily January 3, 2011

Just had this for lunch and it was great. Another success! I had to use soy sauce instead of tamari, and I didn’t soak the wheat berries before cooking them (also forgot to rinse them). Oh I also left out the tomatoes since the winter ones I get in NY are crap. But everything turned out wonderfully.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

haha nice!!

Cindy January 3, 2011

I just made your recipe for Wheat Berry salad – I was very hesitant, as other wheat berry recipes I have found and made were not that tasty. This one is great and it is now in my “favorites” file. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas and recipes. I love your site and always look forward to reading it. Happy New Year!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011

thanks Cindy Im glad you like it! Im going to try it with some spelt berries next time :)

Anon January 4, 2011

New reader here. Thanks for introducing wheatberries to my diet. I tried this recipe; it didn’t turn out as flavorful as I had hoped for. It was a bit on the mushy side, but maybe that’s because of the tomatoes I used. The dressing was great.

Stephanie May 31, 2012

Made this for the salad a day challenge for lunch tomorrow! Taste tested it tonight and oh my, its so good!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

glad to hear that!

Julie R June 21, 2012

Just made this tonight but with quinoa since it’s what I had. Totally delish and my 3 yr old loved the deconstructed version i put on her plate. I served it with a cold pea and basil soup ( which she also loved to my amazement). Great for a hot summer night. I’ve made a few of your recipes now and they have all been winners. Thanks! And yes, i’m telling all my friends to read your site too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2012

Thank you so much Julie!

Lynn Fregoso June 25, 2012

I am so glad that I found this web-site!! I am working through your recipe page, I started with the salads first. We loved the Red Quinoia Black bean salad so much that we made it every week, now we are off to the Wheatberry bean salad. My kids are athletes, as I wrote in earlier, and they want healthy meals, these fit the bill, healthy and good tasting. Thank you so much for your work in trying these recipes and then posting them. Lynn

Alina July 24, 2012

Made this last night for my meat loving parents. They devoured it! I used quinoa instead of wheat berries and it was a terrific combo. Thanks for your blog, I LOVE IT.

Lisa November 15, 2012

I just made this…..it’s delicious! Im glad I finally tried wheat berries!

Betsy Stevens December 27, 2012

This salad looks great! Thanks for posting – can’t wait to try it!!

Jill January 8, 2013

Hiya!
Your website is awesome! =) Any suggestions on what to replace wheat berries with? Not sure if I can get it easily here in Malaysia. Thanks!

Bryn January 11, 2013

Tried this with a creamy balsamic dressing as that’s what I had on hand and it was outstanding! I had never grated garlic before and whoa, does it ever pack a punch. Forgive me if I ever run into you in town and make a fool out of myself by saying what a fan I am of yours! I promise I will not ask for your autograph, lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2013

hah well I would love to meet you! Thanks for trying out the recipe, I’m happy that you enjoyed it.

Lara February 7, 2013

Hi Angela! I’m having a friend over for dinner soon, and I decided to make this recipe (Your recipes never fail!). I already bought all the ingredients and I just found out my friend is sensitive to garlic. Would this recipe still work without the garlic?
Thanks in advance!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 7, 2013

Yes im sure it would still be fine :) Goodluck!

Shweta Ganesh March 17, 2013

All of your recipes are excellent and so are the professional photos.
Just saw the site and thought all of the meal recipes are nutritious and fresh.
Excellent site

Abby April 12, 2013

I am planning on making this DELICIOUS looking recipe for my in-laws tomorrow night at a dinner I am hosting, and needless to say they are unfamiliar with vegan eating. What would be good options to serve alongside this salad that would knock their socks off? I love making soups (but am unsure of flavors that would be harmonious with this salad) and I thought perhaps something like that and maybe some roasted mushrooms or a large portobello but would also like to stay seasonal. Suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2013

Hi Abby, Yes this salad tends to do well at potlucks. I’d also recommend my favourite salad – lightened up goddess bowl found here: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/12/lightened-up-protein-power-goddess-bowl/

Abby April 12, 2013

Thank you, Angela! I hadn’t seen that recipe for the goddess bowl and that looks perfect! I have made several of your soups and have lots of favorites, but I want to try all new recipes for this dinner I’m hosting. Do you think the carrot ginger apple soup would be a good pairing? Thanks for your help!

Ruby August 4, 2013

This salad is lovely! We made it with tomato and steamed broccoli instead of capsicum. It was amazing! The flavour had a lovely depth. Very nice! I like wheat berries too.

Pam August 25, 2013

This is what I made today – starting a new school year with my fav salad. I’m set for the week. Thanks so much once again for this recipe – I so enjoy it.

Cassie September 23, 2013

Hi Angela!

I made this for dinner tonight, and boy was it delicious! We gobbled it right up and felt great afterward.

I just have to ask though – how in the world do you get your wheat berries to look so scrumptious?? I followed your directions precisely, but when I looked at the wheat berries this morning after soaking them overnight, they were all split and ugly, though they tasted just great in the salad ;) Any tips?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2013

Hmm I’m not sure, I may have undercooked them? lol.

Elena December 27, 2013

Great recipe! I am going to make it! Thank u!

Kara January 8, 2014

Amazing website ! Awesome recipes ! I just recreated this never cooked wheatberries before they salad doesn’t look as pretty as yours but it’s delicious

Page 3 of 3«123