Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

IMG 7694 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

I deemed that this week is officially my Get Back On Track Week!

Over the past few weeks, my eating, exercise, and home life/work routines have been all over the place.

Wait, who am I kidding, my life has been all over the place since September actually!

My goal for the next few days is to get organized and get back on track, hopefully achieving a nice balance once again. I absolutely love the last week of the year to get organized for the new year ahead. This week, I will also be talking about my goals for 2011 and I will be going over last year’s goals to see how I did.

Many of you expressed interest in the salad that my mother-in-law made, so I thought today would be a great time to do a recipe post on a healthy salad that makes for a great ‘getting back on track’ dish! I am just in love with this salad. It is in my Top 5 all-time favourite salads for sure.

IMG 7688 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

IMG 7641 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Gather up the troops and the wheat berries that you soaked overnight! Place the wheat berries in a medium sized pot covered with 3 inches of water and simmer on medium for 1 hour.

IMG 7645 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

IMG 7647 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

While the wheat berries are cooking, dice your little heart out.

IMG 7651 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

You want the veggies diced very small.

Stir the veggies together in a large bowl and set aside.

IMG 7656 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Now make your dressing with Tamari, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, hot mustard (I didn’t have any), and fresh lemon juice.

IMG 7662 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

I decided to try reducing the oil in this recipe by half and it turned out amazing! I actually think I liked the dressing better with 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil vs. 4 tbsp. It really made the balsamic vinegar pop.

IMG 7663 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Whisk.

IMG 7667 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

I realized that I didn’t have any navy beans after all, so I decided to use chickpeas instead.

IMG 7670 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

After 1 hour of simmering, I drained and rinsed the wheat berries.

IMG 7674 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Add them in and stir well.

Add dressing and mix again.

IMG 7677 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.

IMG 7681 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Serve!

IMG 7685 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

One of my favourite salads of all time. It has so many amazing flavours and textures and it is high in protein and fibre too! I think this was my first time trying wheat berries too. They add such a great texture to salads. I will definitely be buying more in the future!

IMG 7688 thumb1   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

It makes about 8 cups worth. Enough to fuel the week ahead.

IMG 7696 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Now that the holidays are drawing to a close, are you thinking about getting back on track or re-organizing your life in some way?

Jess@atasteofconfidence December 28, 2010

I want to get back to healthy eating and exercise!

Jen December 28, 2010

That salad looks delicious! After reading your post, I flipped open my “Eating Well” magazine, and one of the featured ads was for Pompeian olive oil and vinegars. It has a recipe for a black bean, edamame and wheat berry salad, which is very similar to yours! It uses black beans and edamame with the wheat berries, and the dressing has red wine vinegar instead of balsamic.
I just started making my new year’s resolutions for 2011. I use my “my lists” app on my ipod touch to create the list, so what way I can easily refer back to it. One of my goals for 2011 is to be more present and in touch with myself–I find that my mind is always wondering, and I am never truley in the moment. Something I wish to change!
Jen

Tracey December 28, 2010

I have the same feeling after indulging in so many sweets over the past week. I am definitely needing to get back on track. I can’t wait to try this recipe! This salad and my new juicer could be just the thing to jumpstart me back on the healthy eating track!

emma December 28, 2010

Hi Sweetie!
Yummy looking salad :-) I’ll definately be trying that out soon. Your blog brings a smile to my face each day….and it’s just inspired me to get off my butt and hit the treadmill! Gotta start somewhere after the christmas break! Thankyouuuuu! :-) x x

Allison @ Food For Healing December 28, 2010

Ahh yes “back on track” and “new years resolutions” familiar words this time of year! hehe
Best of luck everyone with theirs, I will be having a few of my own! BIG BIG trip in one month, so i can’t get OFF track, and i plan to join a gym and do fitness classes a couple times a week in 2011

Roz December 28, 2010

Couple more days and I’ll be joining you on “back on track” week. This salad looks DELICIOUS!!!

Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers December 28, 2010

I love wheatberries and I love chickpeas. I can not wait to try this salad. Your photos made my mouth water… again.

Moni'sMeals December 28, 2010

What a stunning salad! Back on Track is right.

I plan on just slowly incorporating things. No rush!

carlee December 28, 2010

I <3 Salad! I'm having one for dinner! It just soudns oh so refreshing!
Yes, my 2011 goal is to keep my room clean!
and get my license and get on top of my grades!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 28, 2010

Yumm this looks so delicious and fresh! I’m very much in a goal-setting mood right now as well. It’s one thing I love about new years – they motivate me to change things I don’t like and make my life better by improving things. Can’t wait to hear about how you’re going to light up 2011! :)

Amy Bee December 28, 2010

Oh wow! This looks delish :D thank you for sharing the recipe!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 28, 2010

Never had wheatberries but these look delish!

bitt December 28, 2010

one of my goals for today is to make your balsamic salad dressing. i’ve been wanting balsamic all the time lately. and more salads is my way of getting more on track. i’ve been hitting the cookies a little too hard the past few months. heh.

i think this salad would be great with quinoa for those of us who are wheat-free. thanks for the recipe!

Barbara December 28, 2010

The baslamic salad dressing is fantastic! It’s the only one I make now–you have to try it–you will love it (just don’t forget the salt like Angela recommends).

Barbara December 28, 2010

I love wheatberries so this sounds right up my alley. I really love that this is a warm salad to start and then chilled for later meals. It would be good over fresh baby spinach as well I’ll bet. I am also hooked on your garbanzo bean/sweet potato salad (the one with coconut oil and cinnamon). Angela– your pictures are amazing–they really make you want to try the recipes. I am so pressed for time that organizing gets put on the back burner. A life out of balance is really hard on us mentally. Being a single parent, I find that It’s such a balancing act trying to pay enough attention to my health and take care of my family at the same time plus work full time. I just want to say a big thank you for all of your inspiration–it really does help a lot!
PS- My mom used to make wheatberries in a wide mouthed thermos overnight so she could have them with fresh fruit and homemade yogurt in the morning–topped with nuts and a little honey. She was a whole foods pioneer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010

Thanks for your kind words :)
Wheat berries as a breakfast is a fantastic idea!!! Oh wow my wheels are turning now! haha

Alicia December 28, 2010

This looks awesome! I have been sick/eating unhealthy for a week and this is just the right think to put me back on track plus I’m craving healthy food, thanks girl! :)

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ Sketch-Free Vegan December 28, 2010

so colourful and healthy! I also have the urge to organize myself during the last week of december too. I have lots of resolutions to make!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 28, 2010

Getting back on track is definitely something I need to do too! I’m off to visit my brother in Chicago for New Years so I’m trying my best to keep things really healthy between now and then. But after those festivities I plan to get SERIOUS – I feel gross right now!!

Audrey December 28, 2010

This salad looks incredibly delicious and healthful! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

I was wondering what kind of camera you use and how you learned to be such a great photographer. I am thinking of getting into photography as it is something that I really love, and I admire your style. Did you take a class or are you self-taught? Your blog just keeps getting more beautiful!

Thanks and I hope you had a merry Christmas day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010

Aww thank you! I am self taught…but I would love to take some professional courses at some point!

Audrey December 28, 2010

Hi, sorry to bother you again. :) What kind of camera and lenses do you use?

Jennifer December 28, 2010

Thank you for the recipe. I LOVE wheatberries (and navy beans). The dressing sounds awesome. I am making this tomorrow.

Laura December 28, 2010

Oh, my. This looks PERFECT. I’m so over the rich, indulgent foods of the holidays and ready to get back to how I normally eat. This looks like a great recipe for getting back to how I normally eat.

Jen December 28, 2010

This looks delicious! I love taking salads like this to work for lunch – they always keep me satisfied all afternoon long. I’ll have to add wheatberries to my grocery list so I can give this a try!

Darcy @ She Sings at the Table December 28, 2010

I was inspired by your pretty wheatberry pics and just cooked some and tossed them together with stuff I already had in the kitchen (arugala, celery, scallions, pom seeds, and pistachios). What a great ingredient! And I can’t wait for your New Year’s-themed posts–I love resolutions. 2010 has been my best year yet, and it really is largely due to discovering healthy, positive blogs like this one–can’t wait to see what will happen in 2011!

Gina December 28, 2010

I’m trying my hardest to reduce the amount of sweets I eat. I have been eating so many dessert foods that my sweet tooth has become larger than life!

rainbow December 28, 2010

DELISH!!!!
I made the salad for lunch and everyone LOVED it!
Thank you so much Angela for your wonderful recipes and for your inspiration!
I wish you will write a cook book one day… any chance?
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed December 28, 2010

Perfect! Thanks for the get back on track inspiration! :) This salad looks beautiful.
Heidi xo

Connie December 28, 2010

First time commenting although I have been a huge fan for quite some time. Any suggestions as to how to make this amazing salad gluten free? Not able to have wheat berries or soy sauce but sure wishing I could! Love your photos and recipes and your views on life. You are such an inspiration to me. Hoping 2011 will be a wonderful year for you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010

Thank you Connie!
I’m sorry, but I’m not sure on how to make this gluten free. Are there any GF grains that you could use in replacement of the wheat berries?

Cara Craves... December 28, 2010

The salad even looks a little festive!

Vanessa December 28, 2010

I love a good grain salad full of flavor and fresh veggies!! Yum!! I’m so excited to get back on track with eating habits now that the holidays are through!!

Vanessa December 28, 2010

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 28, 2010

i love wheatberries! this will be perfect in the summer when I have lots of fresh parsley to use up :) cold salads are the best. i’m definitely doing major organizing in my life and taking a new direction for 2011!

Lisa December 28, 2010

I just had this salad for dinner and it was amazing! I couldn’t wait for the wheat berries to soak overnight, so I rinsed them, brought them to a boil in 3 cups of water and a little salt, reduced the heat and simmered for an hour. I think I might so back for seconds soon :)

Kate December 28, 2010

I am definitely thinking about what lies ahead in 2011 and organizing my apartment, running tons of errands and setting goals for the next year.

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska December 28, 2010

We are totally trying to get back on track after the holidays. There was tons of sugar and little whole grains: no wonder I was so tired and moody! This week is all about veggies, lean proteins, and zero sweets. Your salad looks seriously yummy- filling and good for you too!

Faith @ lovelyascharged December 28, 2010

I’m definitely ready to scale back on the baked goods to recover from the holidays. My body says NO MORE SUGAR!!!

Allison December 28, 2010

This dish looks amazing and I just happen to have some wheat berries in the pantry! Yum!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] December 28, 2010

I’m sooo joining you for Get Back on Track Week!! Just had a delicious wheat berry salad from Whole Foods today – delish!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking December 29, 2010

that salad look superb! so fresh and colorful!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 29, 2010

Thank you for posting! I’m going to make a trip to Whole Paycheck tomorrow for some wheatberries. I’m thinking I’ll do them with black-eyed peas and collards for NYE. :)

Casey Thomas December 29, 2010

Looks divine Angela! I made a similar salad for my mum last night but with quinoa…soooo good! She has wheat berries in her cupboard so I’ll recommend this recipe to her!

Lizzie December 29, 2010

Hi Angela,

I don’t know what kind of analytics you have on your website, but I’m your dedicated reader from Slovakia:) I’ve been a vegetarian since I was ten years old but this summer I developed a lactose intolerance so I found your blog and have been using it as a crutch to gradually reducing all animal products since then.

I’m not going to take the full vegan plunge until/if we go back to the US though. It’s ridiculous how much I took leafy greens for granted back home because they don’t have fresh spinach here and it just about kills me (I’ve heard they have Kale here but I have yet to find it).

Anyway, I’ve started using buckwheat a lot recently and I’ve noticed you don’t have any recipes that include it. Have you used it? It’s a complete protein so I love incorporating it in salads like this one you posted. It’s also gluten free.

Thank you so much for your blog. I love it:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010

I haven’t used it but it is on my list for sure!

Page 2 of 3«123»