Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

IMG 7694 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

I deemed that this week is officially my Get Back On Track Week!

Over the past few weeks, my eating, exercise, and home life/work routines have been all over the place.

Wait, who am I kidding, my life has been all over the place since September actually!

My goal for the next few days is to get organized and get back on track, hopefully achieving a nice balance once again. I absolutely love the last week of the year to get organized for the new year ahead. This week, I will also be talking about my goals for 2011 and I will be going over last year’s goals to see how I did.

Many of you expressed interest in the salad that my mother-in-law made, so I thought today would be a great time to do a recipe post on a healthy salad that makes for a great ‘getting back on track’ dish! I am just in love with this salad. It is in my Top 5 all-time favourite salads for sure.

IMG 7688 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

IMG 7641 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Gather up the troops and the wheat berries that you soaked overnight! Place the wheat berries in a medium sized pot covered with 3 inches of water and simmer on medium for 1 hour.

IMG 7645 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

IMG 7647 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

While the wheat berries are cooking, dice your little heart out.

IMG 7651 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

You want the veggies diced very small.

Stir the veggies together in a large bowl and set aside.

IMG 7656 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Now make your dressing with Tamari, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, hot mustard (I didn’t have any), and fresh lemon juice.

IMG 7662 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

I decided to try reducing the oil in this recipe by half and it turned out amazing! I actually think I liked the dressing better with 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil vs. 4 tbsp. It really made the balsamic vinegar pop.

IMG 7663 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Whisk.

IMG 7667 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

I realized that I didn’t have any navy beans after all, so I decided to use chickpeas instead.

IMG 7670 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

After 1 hour of simmering, I drained and rinsed the wheat berries.

IMG 7674 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Add them in and stir well.

Add dressing and mix again.

IMG 7677 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.

IMG 7681 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Serve!

IMG 7685 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

One of my favourite salads of all time. It has so many amazing flavours and textures and it is high in protein and fibre too! I think this was my first time trying wheat berries too. They add such a great texture to salads. I will definitely be buying more in the future!

IMG 7688 thumb1   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

It makes about 8 cups worth. Enough to fuel the week ahead.

IMG 7696 thumb   Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Now that the holidays are drawing to a close, are you thinking about getting back on track or re-organizing your life in some way?

Amanda (Eating Up) December 28, 2010

That salad has beautiful colors and textures. I definitely think it was named appropriately!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin December 28, 2010

I love that type of salad! I meant to grab wheatberries the last time I was at Whole Foods and I forgot. Next time!

Jackie @ Baking Charms December 28, 2010

I’m definitely starting to think about both short-term and long-term goals for the next year. I need to get my exercise routine back on track!

Becky December 28, 2010

I have my goals already written out for 2011. I am so ready to get my life organized and back on track. I am doing a juice feast(fast) beginning the first of the year, I am not sure how long it will last. I love the look of the salad, I can’t wait to try it. Once I am done with my feast/fast I wil be trying the salad! I am definitely getting my running back on track! My wonderful DH got me a garmin watch for Christmas, and I can’t wait to use it!! Hopefully i will get my butt out of bed tomorrow morning and run!! Thanks for the great posts!

Lana December 28, 2010

That salad look great! Those are my favorite meals because it has everything you want in one pot. I’m definitely starting to get back on track (eating- and exercise-wise), but there are still some christmas baked goods in the kitchen that I keep sneaking bites of, lol. Baby steps! My workout routine is back in full gear, so I feel great about that!

Stephanie P December 28, 2010

This salad looks so good! It’s on my grocery list and I’m going to send this to my mom… she will LOVE it :)

jenna December 28, 2010

thank you for posting this! :) i can’t wait to try it

Dani @ Body By Nature December 28, 2010

This is my “back on track” week too! And last night I made a batch of wheat berries so this recipe came at the perfect time.

Lauren at KeepItSweet December 28, 2010

i definitely need to get back on track and am using this week to catch up on life!

Ali @ Around The VeggieTable December 28, 2010

I can NOT wait to make this! It looks so delicious and fresh! Thank you so much for sharing it :)

Erin December 28, 2010

I love this salad! I had something similar while visiting an organic WOOF farm last year in Tuscany, but they made theirs with spelt berries – sooo yummy!

I’m getting back on track this week with organization, fitness and nutrition too. I’m starting out with a Green Smoothie Challenge (www.thegreensmoothiechallenge.com). Nothing but green monsters and fresh veggies for 10 days! On day 2 and so far feeling great :)

Amanda December 28, 2010

This looks delicious! I usually make a wheatberry salad with red onions, feta, cucs, parsley, basil, and a lemon vinagrette, and have been looking for other combinations to try!

Jessica Lauren DeBry June 6, 2014

Yum, that sounds delicious Amanda!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) December 28, 2010

I definitely need a back on track week. I planned to start today and was sidetracked by some christmas cookies left on the secretaries’ desks…

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010

lol i read that quickly and i thought you said u were attacked by xmas cookies! LOL!! I know the feeling…

Karen December 28, 2010

Looks delish!

I’ve always wondered if you dice your veggies yourself or if you have one of those nifty little dicers? I hate dicing garlic and sometimes think about buying one of those infomercial type devices ;) You always have pretty looking diced veggies!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010

hehe tks! I dice them myself :)

Cait December 28, 2010

This salad looks AMAZING!!!! I just found your blog/website yesterday through a fitness pal of mine. Love all of the great information already. I went through a life reorganization (at least in terms of fitness and nutrition) in the beginning of October. The holiday were definitely a little crazy to say the least so I am re-examining my goals and getting back on track for sure this week. Looking forward to starting a new year in a great frame of mind!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama December 28, 2010

This looks like my kind of salad! I have never tried wheat berries but I think it might be time to give them a try. And yes, it’s definitely getting back on track week over here,too.

Lu December 28, 2010

I love the look of that salad. I bet it was amazing! I would love to have something like this around the house for quick lunches. It also beats the cookies I usually end up having too many of.

Ashlee @ cookinginnh.com December 28, 2010

That salad looks amazing! I always make salads to get back on track, too!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 28, 2010

That salad looks awesome, so thanks for the recipe. I love wheat berries, but I’ve never made them myself. It seems easy enough.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe December 28, 2010

Gorgeous! So colorful and healthy-looking!

ezzie December 28, 2010

Thank you thank you for this recipe! I needed a school-lunch idea and this seems perfect to pack up! :)

Abby December 28, 2010

Already getting back on track! And I have plans for the New Year… transitioning to vegan.

I have always restricted my diet. I used to balance having bad food with starving myself. I used to cake makeup on to cover the imperfections. I used to squish into smaller sized clothes to say I was wearing a certain size. I hated myself, they way I looked, and the way I felt inside. I have three daughters under the age of 7 and I don’t want them to grow up with these same thoughts. It would break my heart.
I turned 32 and decided it was time for a change.

I stopped eating land animals and fast food in August. I have yet to have had a bout of stomach problems I have battled since high school. Suddenly, fruits and veges became treats rather than a diet plan. I stopped buying soda, and started ordering water. I started drinking more tea and taking vitamins.

A friend introduced me to this blog a couple months ago and it has helped me to continue changing my lifestyle. NO more restricting. That idea of yours was my turning point. I all of a sudden got it. Your struggles were similar to my struggles… and I was reading parts of my life in your words. Truely amazing.

Now I have a GM everyday- I changed my outlook on life- I think about myself positively and pass it forward whenever I can- and workout for fun. I have dropped pant sizes and feel amazing. I collect quoptes for inspiration.

Thank you for sharing your life – your recipes – you are inspiring. My new journey has been amazing and I have never felt better inside or better about my outside.

Thank you Thank you Thank you….
Have a healthy and happy New Year! May it bring you as much joy as you have brought to others…
Love, a happier, healthier, smiling, transitioning vegan, student and full-time mother of three girls… Abby

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010

Abby your story is BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much for sharing. I’m sure your story will help many women. All the best!

AGS December 28, 2010

It’s encouraging to hear about your journey! I feel as though it’s only now that I’m into the 30′s that I “get” things — it certainly took a few years to come to those realizations.

Casey Thomas December 29, 2010

Abby, that’s wonderful! You have come so far already in recognizing where you are at right now and in being able to see where you want to go based on where you have been.

Healthy, real food to nourish you while addressing your emotional needs is truly the way forward. We are cheering you on!

Lots of love,
Casey

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 28, 2010

We’re totally speaking the same language, you and I… getting my life back on track (health wise and career wise) has been on my mind since returning home from my Christmas holiday. Time to get serious and ready for the new year ahead… No pressure of course ;) That salad looks like lunch for a week!!

carol December 28, 2010

Hi this salad looks amazing. I wonder what could I use instead of wheat berries?

Camille December 28, 2010

I have definitely been trying to “get back on track” with my eating and exercise. The holidays just throw everything out of whack! My body has been craving veggies like no one’s business!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 28, 2010

the colors in this salad are just awesome!

I love how you said the balsamic dressing just popped! I love balsamic, and yellow mustard, so that dressing looks perfect to me!

Back on track now that the holidays are over? Yes, I just returned home from an extended vacation and am dealing with the re-immersion back into real life process…i.e. dirty laundry, grocery shopping, going to work, you know, fun stuff :)

Hope you have a mellow pre-New Years week, Angela! :)

Krystina (Basil & Wine) December 28, 2010

When a salad is that colorful you know it’s nutritious!

Jil @ Big, City, Lil Kitchen December 28, 2010

Love this! It looks incredible – the perfect way to start out the new year, right?

Anna December 28, 2010

Definitely using the week to get back on track – have cleared out the cupboard (live in Manhattan so we only have one!) and have bags ready to donate. Need to get my healthy eating back on track (I’m vegan, but had one too many pizzas over recent weeks, plus seem to be eating brownies for breakfast!) My boyfriend and I are sitting down to make plans change tracks entirely in the next year after reaching the end of this one and realising we both feel very unfulfilled and drained of energy. First step, leave New York… Very excited to see your goals for 2011!

Amber K December 28, 2010

I am going to start doing exactly that once I have my biopsy on the 5th. I have to keep eating gluten until then and so I have still been eating a few treats that I won’t be able to eat soon! Although I have been trying to eat a lot of veggies to fuel my meals.

AGS December 28, 2010

Day after Christmas always become a time to think about the coming year. A few that I’ve been thinking about:
1. I’m toying with the idea of eating more raw foods this year, and am trying it out this week. 2. I’m also working to develop more simplicity in my meals. There is so little time for cooking for me at this point, that I’m trying to devise some method of cooking Jan-April, that will allow me to use/reuse basic foods throughout the week.
3. Finally, I’d like to create a quiet space each day — probably in the morning.

In 2010, I was able to volunteer/coordinate a couple of charity fundraising events. This was something I had wanted to do for awhile, but never “gotten around to.” I recall repeating/writing this desire/goal throughout the year, and when the opportunities arose, I didn’t hesitate to jump on them! I’m so glad I did. I believe that this strategy of always thinking/projecting/reminding oneself of what you desire enables you to grasp the moments and opportunities that allow you to achieve those goals. So, I intend to use the same strategy in 2011. Giving myself space to dream about what I want always reminds me of my core desires and loves, and helps me when the “choosing gets tough” with priorities on a day-to-day level.

Good luck with your 2011 goals planning — enjoy!

Anna December 28, 2010

I tried (in October I think) to eat raw foods for 21 days. I made it to 13 days, and only stopped because of a family crisis that took me away from my own kitchen and I was very much just learning the ropes with raw food and how to feel satisfied by it. I would definitely definitely recommend incorporating more raw foods in your diet though, and this will be one of my big changes for 2011 – I felt so so much better for it. Good luck!

bitt December 28, 2010

good for you! i eat a high raw diet and have many resources on my blog. not saying this to self-promote, just to help you out! good luck!

AGS December 28, 2010

Thanks — I’ll take a look.

Danielle December 28, 2010

That salad looks wonderful! I could definitely use some of that to get back on track. Too many days in a row of celebrations and delicious, sugar filled food has made me feel kind of blah! It was worth it, but I am definitely looking forward to get some more balance in my life. I will be taking the next few days to get organized and think up some creative new foods to start off the new year right!

Michelle December 28, 2010

Thank you for posting this recipe! I think the salad looks fantastic :)
Where do you buy wheat berries?

Sonia December 28, 2010

Yep, this is my back on track week, though it’s a little rocky so far. Went to bed early with the intention of going to a cycle class at 6 am but only got 2.5 hrs of sleep! Have you ever worked out on such little sleep?

Focusing on getting back into the GM’s, eating healthier, less alcohol and overall fitness. Aiming to do a 10k in July, but first I want to try at least two 5ks before. I am not a fan of running, but I want to prove to myself that I can accomplish it.

Andrea December 28, 2010

Gorgeous salad! Looks delicious. I could definitely use some re-organization in my life right about now, so I think I’ll be doing lots of that this week.

Noelle December 28, 2010

Definitely going to be making these when I get back to my MIchigan!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks December 28, 2010

Definitely getting back on track….and I can’t wait to try that salad!!

Kelsey December 28, 2010

I’ve never been the type to make resolutions, but last year I was in a rough place and decided to make some life changes that I could accomplish and stick to. Thus I wrote a list of goals for 2010. I kept a list in a journal, referenced it throughout the year and you know what? I did pretty well! I accomplished 6 out of 8 goals and the person I became while on this adventure is in a much better place then when she started. My 2011 list is pretty long at the moment (due to my excitement at last year’s success) but I’ll cut it back a bit and make it more do-able. Afterall, it’s important to dream big but in managable steps like “Improve my running skills” turned into “Complete the Warrior Dash (please google it). Goal #2 for 2011 is “accpet my body for what it is.” As for the steps to get there . . . that adventure I will have to unfold.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010

I love your outlook!

KatieM~Run For The Bikini! December 28, 2010

Self-acceptance is my #1 goal for 2011 as well :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010

love that!

Anna December 28, 2010

This looks almost exactly like the salad my parents make to bring as their vegan dish when they go to parties – it’s always loved by just about everyone. Their dressing might be slightly different – no olive oil or salt due to their dietary choices – but otherwise it looks about the same. It’s a great dish to make that makes everyone happy.

KatieM~Run For The Bikini! December 28, 2010

Awesome, I’m making a book of all the great, healthy recipes I want to try this year and this is definitely going in it! Thanks :D

Page 1 of 3123»