Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 28, 2010

IMG_7694

I deemed that this week is officially my Get Back On Track Week!

Over the past few weeks, my eating, exercise, and home life/work routines have been all over the place.

Wait, who am I kidding, my life has been all over the place since September actually!

My goal for the next few days is to get organized and get back on track, hopefully achieving a nice balance once again. I absolutely love the last week of the year to get organized for the new year ahead. This week, I will also be talking about my goals for 2011 and I will be going over last year’s goals to see how I did.

Many of you expressed interest in the salad that my mother-in-law made, so I thought today would be a great time to do a recipe post on a healthy salad that makes for a great ‘getting back on track’ dish! I am just in love with this salad. It is in my Top 5 all-time favourite salads for sure.

IMG_7688

IMG_7641

Gather up the troops and the wheat berries that you soaked overnight! Place the wheat berries in a medium sized pot covered with 3 inches of water and simmer on medium for 1 hour.

IMG_7645

IMG_7647

While the wheat berries are cooking, dice your little heart out.

IMG_7651

You want the veggies diced very small.

Stir the veggies together in a large bowl and set aside.

IMG_7656

Now make your dressing with Tamari, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, hot mustard (I didn’t have any), and fresh lemon juice.

IMG_7662

I decided to try reducing the oil in this recipe by half and it turned out amazing! I actually think I liked the dressing better with 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil vs. 4 tbsp. It really made the balsamic vinegar pop.

IMG_7663

Whisk.

IMG_7667

I realized that I didn’t have any navy beans after all, so I decided to use chickpeas instead.

IMG_7670

After 1 hour of simmering, I drained and rinsed the wheat berries.

IMG_7674

Add them in and stir well.

Add dressing and mix again.

IMG_7677

Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.

IMG_7681

Serve!

IMG_7685

One of my favourite salads of all time. It has so many amazing flavours and textures and it is high in protein and fibre too! I think this was my first time trying wheat berries too. They add such a great texture to salads. I will definitely be buying more in the future!

IMG_7688

It makes about 8 cups worth. Enough to fuel the week ahead.

IMG_7696

Now that the holidays are drawing to a close, are you thinking about getting back on track or re-organizing your life in some way?

Amanda (Eating Up) December 28, 2010 at 11:18 am

That salad has beautiful colors and textures. I definitely think it was named appropriately!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin December 28, 2010 at 11:23 am

I love that type of salad! I meant to grab wheatberries the last time I was at Whole Foods and I forgot. Next time!

Jackie @ Baking Charms December 28, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’m definitely starting to think about both short-term and long-term goals for the next year. I need to get my exercise routine back on track!

Becky December 28, 2010 at 11:30 am

I have my goals already written out for 2011. I am so ready to get my life organized and back on track. I am doing a juice feast(fast) beginning the first of the year, I am not sure how long it will last. I love the look of the salad, I can’t wait to try it. Once I am done with my feast/fast I wil be trying the salad! I am definitely getting my running back on track! My wonderful DH got me a garmin watch for Christmas, and I can’t wait to use it!! Hopefully i will get my butt out of bed tomorrow morning and run!! Thanks for the great posts!

Lana December 28, 2010 at 11:32 am

That salad look great! Those are my favorite meals because it has everything you want in one pot. I’m definitely starting to get back on track (eating- and exercise-wise), but there are still some christmas baked goods in the kitchen that I keep sneaking bites of, lol. Baby steps! My workout routine is back in full gear, so I feel great about that!

Stephanie P December 28, 2010 at 11:32 am

This salad looks so good! It’s on my grocery list and I’m going to send this to my mom… she will LOVE it :)

jenna December 28, 2010 at 11:34 am

thank you for posting this! :) i can’t wait to try it

Dani @ Body By Nature December 28, 2010 at 11:42 am

This is my “back on track” week too! And last night I made a batch of wheat berries so this recipe came at the perfect time.

Lauren at KeepItSweet December 28, 2010 at 11:46 am

i definitely need to get back on track and am using this week to catch up on life!

Ali @ Around The VeggieTable December 28, 2010 at 11:56 am

I can NOT wait to make this! It looks so delicious and fresh! Thank you so much for sharing it :)

Erin December 28, 2010 at 11:57 am

I love this salad! I had something similar while visiting an organic WOOF farm last year in Tuscany, but they made theirs with spelt berries – sooo yummy!

I’m getting back on track this week with organization, fitness and nutrition too. I’m starting out with a Green Smoothie Challenge (www.thegreensmoothiechallenge.com). Nothing but green monsters and fresh veggies for 10 days! On day 2 and so far feeling great :)

Amanda December 28, 2010 at 11:59 am

This looks delicious! I usually make a wheatberry salad with red onions, feta, cucs, parsley, basil, and a lemon vinagrette, and have been looking for other combinations to try!

Jessica Lauren DeBry June 6, 2014 at 2:38 am

Yum, that sounds delicious Amanda!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) December 28, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I definitely need a back on track week. I planned to start today and was sidetracked by some christmas cookies left on the secretaries’ desks…

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 12:05 pm

lol i read that quickly and i thought you said u were attacked by xmas cookies! LOL!! I know the feeling…

Karen December 28, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Looks delish!

I’ve always wondered if you dice your veggies yourself or if you have one of those nifty little dicers? I hate dicing garlic and sometimes think about buying one of those infomercial type devices ;) You always have pretty looking diced veggies!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm

hehe tks! I dice them myself :)

Cait December 28, 2010 at 12:05 pm

This salad looks AMAZING!!!! I just found your blog/website yesterday through a fitness pal of mine. Love all of the great information already. I went through a life reorganization (at least in terms of fitness and nutrition) in the beginning of October. The holiday were definitely a little crazy to say the least so I am re-examining my goals and getting back on track for sure this week. Looking forward to starting a new year in a great frame of mind!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama December 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm

This looks like my kind of salad! I have never tried wheat berries but I think it might be time to give them a try. And yes, it’s definitely getting back on track week over here,too.

Lu December 28, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I love the look of that salad. I bet it was amazing! I would love to have something like this around the house for quick lunches. It also beats the cookies I usually end up having too many of.

Ashlee @ cookinginnh.com December 28, 2010 at 12:12 pm

That salad looks amazing! I always make salads to get back on track, too!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 28, 2010 at 12:13 pm

That salad looks awesome, so thanks for the recipe. I love wheat berries, but I’ve never made them myself. It seems easy enough.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe December 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Gorgeous! So colorful and healthy-looking!

ezzie December 28, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Thank you thank you for this recipe! I needed a school-lunch idea and this seems perfect to pack up! :)

Abby December 28, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Already getting back on track! And I have plans for the New Year… transitioning to vegan.

I have always restricted my diet. I used to balance having bad food with starving myself. I used to cake makeup on to cover the imperfections. I used to squish into smaller sized clothes to say I was wearing a certain size. I hated myself, they way I looked, and the way I felt inside. I have three daughters under the age of 7 and I don’t want them to grow up with these same thoughts. It would break my heart.
I turned 32 and decided it was time for a change.

I stopped eating land animals and fast food in August. I have yet to have had a bout of stomach problems I have battled since high school. Suddenly, fruits and veges became treats rather than a diet plan. I stopped buying soda, and started ordering water. I started drinking more tea and taking vitamins.

A friend introduced me to this blog a couple months ago and it has helped me to continue changing my lifestyle. NO more restricting. That idea of yours was my turning point. I all of a sudden got it. Your struggles were similar to my struggles… and I was reading parts of my life in your words. Truely amazing.

Now I have a GM everyday- I changed my outlook on life- I think about myself positively and pass it forward whenever I can- and workout for fun. I have dropped pant sizes and feel amazing. I collect quoptes for inspiration.

Thank you for sharing your life – your recipes – you are inspiring. My new journey has been amazing and I have never felt better inside or better about my outside.

Thank you Thank you Thank you….
Have a healthy and happy New Year! May it bring you as much joy as you have brought to others…
Love, a happier, healthier, smiling, transitioning vegan, student and full-time mother of three girls… Abby

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Abby your story is BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much for sharing. I’m sure your story will help many women. All the best!

AGS December 28, 2010 at 3:46 pm

It’s encouraging to hear about your journey! I feel as though it’s only now that I’m into the 30’s that I “get” things — it certainly took a few years to come to those realizations.

Casey Thomas December 29, 2010 at 2:30 am

Abby, that’s wonderful! You have come so far already in recognizing where you are at right now and in being able to see where you want to go based on where you have been.

Healthy, real food to nourish you while addressing your emotional needs is truly the way forward. We are cheering you on!

Lots of love,
Casey

[email protected] Stepping to the Brightside December 28, 2010 at 12:22 pm

We’re totally speaking the same language, you and I… getting my life back on track (health wise and career wise) has been on my mind since returning home from my Christmas holiday. Time to get serious and ready for the new year ahead… No pressure of course ;) That salad looks like lunch for a week!!

carol December 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Hi this salad looks amazing. I wonder what could I use instead of wheat berries?

Camille December 28, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I have definitely been trying to “get back on track” with my eating and exercise. The holidays just throw everything out of whack! My body has been craving veggies like no one’s business!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 28, 2010 at 12:31 pm

the colors in this salad are just awesome!

I love how you said the balsamic dressing just popped! I love balsamic, and yellow mustard, so that dressing looks perfect to me!

Back on track now that the holidays are over? Yes, I just returned home from an extended vacation and am dealing with the re-immersion back into real life process…i.e. dirty laundry, grocery shopping, going to work, you know, fun stuff :)

Hope you have a mellow pre-New Years week, Angela! :)

Krystina (Basil & Wine) December 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

When a salad is that colorful you know it’s nutritious!

Jil @ Big, City, Lil Kitchen December 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Love this! It looks incredible – the perfect way to start out the new year, right?

Anna December 28, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Definitely using the week to get back on track – have cleared out the cupboard (live in Manhattan so we only have one!) and have bags ready to donate. Need to get my healthy eating back on track (I’m vegan, but had one too many pizzas over recent weeks, plus seem to be eating brownies for breakfast!) My boyfriend and I are sitting down to make plans change tracks entirely in the next year after reaching the end of this one and realising we both feel very unfulfilled and drained of energy. First step, leave New York… Very excited to see your goals for 2011!

Amber K December 28, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I am going to start doing exactly that once I have my biopsy on the 5th. I have to keep eating gluten until then and so I have still been eating a few treats that I won’t be able to eat soon! Although I have been trying to eat a lot of veggies to fuel my meals.

AGS December 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Day after Christmas always become a time to think about the coming year. A few that I’ve been thinking about:
1. I’m toying with the idea of eating more raw foods this year, and am trying it out this week. 2. I’m also working to develop more simplicity in my meals. There is so little time for cooking for me at this point, that I’m trying to devise some method of cooking Jan-April, that will allow me to use/reuse basic foods throughout the week.
3. Finally, I’d like to create a quiet space each day — probably in the morning.

In 2010, I was able to volunteer/coordinate a couple of charity fundraising events. This was something I had wanted to do for awhile, but never “gotten around to.” I recall repeating/writing this desire/goal throughout the year, and when the opportunities arose, I didn’t hesitate to jump on them! I’m so glad I did. I believe that this strategy of always thinking/projecting/reminding oneself of what you desire enables you to grasp the moments and opportunities that allow you to achieve those goals. So, I intend to use the same strategy in 2011. Giving myself space to dream about what I want always reminds me of my core desires and loves, and helps me when the “choosing gets tough” with priorities on a day-to-day level.

Good luck with your 2011 goals planning — enjoy!

Anna December 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I tried (in October I think) to eat raw foods for 21 days. I made it to 13 days, and only stopped because of a family crisis that took me away from my own kitchen and I was very much just learning the ropes with raw food and how to feel satisfied by it. I would definitely definitely recommend incorporating more raw foods in your diet though, and this will be one of my big changes for 2011 – I felt so so much better for it. Good luck!

bitt December 28, 2010 at 4:03 pm

good for you! i eat a high raw diet and have many resources on my blog. not saying this to self-promote, just to help you out! good luck!

AGS December 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Thanks — I’ll take a look.

Danielle December 28, 2010 at 1:07 pm

That salad looks wonderful! I could definitely use some of that to get back on track. Too many days in a row of celebrations and delicious, sugar filled food has made me feel kind of blah! It was worth it, but I am definitely looking forward to get some more balance in my life. I will be taking the next few days to get organized and think up some creative new foods to start off the new year right!

Michelle December 28, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Thank you for posting this recipe! I think the salad looks fantastic :)
Where do you buy wheat berries?

Sonia December 28, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Yep, this is my back on track week, though it’s a little rocky so far. Went to bed early with the intention of going to a cycle class at 6 am but only got 2.5 hrs of sleep! Have you ever worked out on such little sleep?

Focusing on getting back into the GM’s, eating healthier, less alcohol and overall fitness. Aiming to do a 10k in July, but first I want to try at least two 5ks before. I am not a fan of running, but I want to prove to myself that I can accomplish it.

Andrea December 28, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Gorgeous salad! Looks delicious. I could definitely use some re-organization in my life right about now, so I think I’ll be doing lots of that this week.

Noelle December 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Definitely going to be making these when I get back to my MIchigan!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks December 28, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Definitely getting back on track….and I can’t wait to try that salad!!

Kelsey December 28, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I’ve never been the type to make resolutions, but last year I was in a rough place and decided to make some life changes that I could accomplish and stick to. Thus I wrote a list of goals for 2010. I kept a list in a journal, referenced it throughout the year and you know what? I did pretty well! I accomplished 6 out of 8 goals and the person I became while on this adventure is in a much better place then when she started. My 2011 list is pretty long at the moment (due to my excitement at last year’s success) but I’ll cut it back a bit and make it more do-able. Afterall, it’s important to dream big but in managable steps like “Improve my running skills” turned into “Complete the Warrior Dash (please google it). Goal #2 for 2011 is “accpet my body for what it is.” As for the steps to get there . . . that adventure I will have to unfold.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I love your outlook!

KatieM~Run For The Bikini! December 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Self-acceptance is my #1 goal for 2011 as well :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 5:43 pm

love that!

Anna December 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm

This looks almost exactly like the salad my parents make to bring as their vegan dish when they go to parties – it’s always loved by just about everyone. Their dressing might be slightly different – no olive oil or salt due to their dietary choices – but otherwise it looks about the same. It’s a great dish to make that makes everyone happy.

KatieM~Run For The Bikini! December 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Awesome, I’m making a book of all the great, healthy recipes I want to try this year and this is definitely going in it! Thanks :D

[email protected] December 28, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I want to get back to healthy eating and exercise!

Jen December 28, 2010 at 2:15 pm

That salad looks delicious! After reading your post, I flipped open my “Eating Well” magazine, and one of the featured ads was for Pompeian olive oil and vinegars. It has a recipe for a black bean, edamame and wheat berry salad, which is very similar to yours! It uses black beans and edamame with the wheat berries, and the dressing has red wine vinegar instead of balsamic.
I just started making my new year’s resolutions for 2011. I use my “my lists” app on my ipod touch to create the list, so what way I can easily refer back to it. One of my goals for 2011 is to be more present and in touch with myself–I find that my mind is always wondering, and I am never truley in the moment. Something I wish to change!
Jen

Tracey December 28, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I have the same feeling after indulging in so many sweets over the past week. I am definitely needing to get back on track. I can’t wait to try this recipe! This salad and my new juicer could be just the thing to jumpstart me back on the healthy eating track!

emma December 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Hi Sweetie!
Yummy looking salad :-) I’ll definately be trying that out soon. Your blog brings a smile to my face each day….and it’s just inspired me to get off my butt and hit the treadmill! Gotta start somewhere after the christmas break! Thankyouuuuu! :-) x x

Allison @ Food For Healing December 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Ahh yes “back on track” and “new years resolutions” familiar words this time of year! hehe
Best of luck everyone with theirs, I will be having a few of my own! BIG BIG trip in one month, so i can’t get OFF track, and i plan to join a gym and do fitness classes a couple times a week in 2011

Roz December 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Couple more days and I’ll be joining you on “back on track” week. This salad looks DELICIOUS!!!

Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers December 28, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I love wheatberries and I love chickpeas. I can not wait to try this salad. Your photos made my mouth water… again.

Moni'sMeals December 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm

What a stunning salad! Back on Track is right.

I plan on just slowly incorporating things. No rush!

carlee December 28, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I <3 Salad! I'm having one for dinner! It just soudns oh so refreshing!
Yes, my 2011 goal is to keep my room clean!
and get my license and get on top of my grades!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 28, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Yumm this looks so delicious and fresh! I’m very much in a goal-setting mood right now as well. It’s one thing I love about new years – they motivate me to change things I don’t like and make my life better by improving things. Can’t wait to hear about how you’re going to light up 2011! :)

Amy Bee December 28, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Oh wow! This looks delish :D thank you for sharing the recipe!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 28, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Never had wheatberries but these look delish!

bitt December 28, 2010 at 4:04 pm

one of my goals for today is to make your balsamic salad dressing. i’ve been wanting balsamic all the time lately. and more salads is my way of getting more on track. i’ve been hitting the cookies a little too hard the past few months. heh.

i think this salad would be great with quinoa for those of us who are wheat-free. thanks for the recipe!

Barbara December 28, 2010 at 4:09 pm

The baslamic salad dressing is fantastic! It’s the only one I make now–you have to try it–you will love it (just don’t forget the salt like Angela recommends).

Barbara December 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I love wheatberries so this sounds right up my alley. I really love that this is a warm salad to start and then chilled for later meals. It would be good over fresh baby spinach as well I’ll bet. I am also hooked on your garbanzo bean/sweet potato salad (the one with coconut oil and cinnamon). Angela– your pictures are amazing–they really make you want to try the recipes. I am so pressed for time that organizing gets put on the back burner. A life out of balance is really hard on us mentally. Being a single parent, I find that It’s such a balancing act trying to pay enough attention to my health and take care of my family at the same time plus work full time. I just want to say a big thank you for all of your inspiration–it really does help a lot!
PS- My mom used to make wheatberries in a wide mouthed thermos overnight so she could have them with fresh fruit and homemade yogurt in the morning–topped with nuts and a little honey. She was a whole foods pioneer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Thanks for your kind words :)
Wheat berries as a breakfast is a fantastic idea!!! Oh wow my wheels are turning now! haha

Alicia December 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm

This looks awesome! I have been sick/eating unhealthy for a week and this is just the right think to put me back on track plus I’m craving healthy food, thanks girl! :)

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ Sketch-Free Vegan December 28, 2010 at 4:59 pm

so colourful and healthy! I also have the urge to organize myself during the last week of december too. I have lots of resolutions to make!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 28, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Getting back on track is definitely something I need to do too! I’m off to visit my brother in Chicago for New Years so I’m trying my best to keep things really healthy between now and then. But after those festivities I plan to get SERIOUS – I feel gross right now!!

Audrey December 28, 2010 at 5:32 pm

This salad looks incredibly delicious and healthful! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

I was wondering what kind of camera you use and how you learned to be such a great photographer. I am thinking of getting into photography as it is something that I really love, and I admire your style. Did you take a class or are you self-taught? Your blog just keeps getting more beautiful!

Thanks and I hope you had a merry Christmas day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Aww thank you! I am self taught…but I would love to take some professional courses at some point!

Audrey December 28, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Hi, sorry to bother you again. :) What kind of camera and lenses do you use?

Jennifer December 28, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Thank you for the recipe. I LOVE wheatberries (and navy beans). The dressing sounds awesome. I am making this tomorrow.

Laura December 28, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Oh, my. This looks PERFECT. I’m so over the rich, indulgent foods of the holidays and ready to get back to how I normally eat. This looks like a great recipe for getting back to how I normally eat.

Jen December 28, 2010 at 6:09 pm

This looks delicious! I love taking salads like this to work for lunch – they always keep me satisfied all afternoon long. I’ll have to add wheatberries to my grocery list so I can give this a try!

Darcy @ She Sings at the Table December 28, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I was inspired by your pretty wheatberry pics and just cooked some and tossed them together with stuff I already had in the kitchen (arugala, celery, scallions, pom seeds, and pistachios). What a great ingredient! And I can’t wait for your New Year’s-themed posts–I love resolutions. 2010 has been my best year yet, and it really is largely due to discovering healthy, positive blogs like this one–can’t wait to see what will happen in 2011!

Gina December 28, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I’m trying my hardest to reduce the amount of sweets I eat. I have been eating so many dessert foods that my sweet tooth has become larger than life!

rainbow December 28, 2010 at 7:47 pm

DELISH!!!!
I made the salad for lunch and everyone LOVED it!
Thank you so much Angela for your wonderful recipes and for your inspiration!
I wish you will write a cook book one day… any chance?
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed December 28, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Perfect! Thanks for the get back on track inspiration! :) This salad looks beautiful.
Heidi xo

Connie December 28, 2010 at 8:40 pm

First time commenting although I have been a huge fan for quite some time. Any suggestions as to how to make this amazing salad gluten free? Not able to have wheat berries or soy sauce but sure wishing I could! Love your photos and recipes and your views on life. You are such an inspiration to me. Hoping 2011 will be a wonderful year for you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Thank you Connie!
I’m sorry, but I’m not sure on how to make this gluten free. Are there any GF grains that you could use in replacement of the wheat berries?

Cara Craves... December 28, 2010 at 8:53 pm

The salad even looks a little festive!

Vanessa December 28, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I love a good grain salad full of flavor and fresh veggies!! Yum!! I’m so excited to get back on track with eating habits now that the holidays are through!!

Vanessa December 28, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm

i love wheatberries! this will be perfect in the summer when I have lots of fresh parsley to use up :) cold salads are the best. i’m definitely doing major organizing in my life and taking a new direction for 2011!

Lisa December 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I just had this salad for dinner and it was amazing! I couldn’t wait for the wheat berries to soak overnight, so I rinsed them, brought them to a boil in 3 cups of water and a little salt, reduced the heat and simmered for an hour. I think I might so back for seconds soon :)

Kate December 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I am definitely thinking about what lies ahead in 2011 and organizing my apartment, running tons of errands and setting goals for the next year.

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska December 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm

We are totally trying to get back on track after the holidays. There was tons of sugar and little whole grains: no wonder I was so tired and moody! This week is all about veggies, lean proteins, and zero sweets. Your salad looks seriously yummy- filling and good for you too!

Faith @ lovelyascharged December 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm

I’m definitely ready to scale back on the baked goods to recover from the holidays. My body says NO MORE SUGAR!!!

Allison December 28, 2010 at 11:48 pm

This dish looks amazing and I just happen to have some wheat berries in the pantry! Yum!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] December 28, 2010 at 11:58 pm

I’m sooo joining you for Get Back on Track Week!! Just had a delicious wheat berry salad from Whole Foods today – delish!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking December 29, 2010 at 12:02 am

that salad look superb! so fresh and colorful!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 29, 2010 at 12:20 am

Thank you for posting! I’m going to make a trip to Whole Paycheck tomorrow for some wheatberries. I’m thinking I’ll do them with black-eyed peas and collards for NYE. :)

Casey Thomas December 29, 2010 at 2:36 am

Looks divine Angela! I made a similar salad for my mum last night but with quinoa…soooo good! She has wheat berries in her cupboard so I’ll recommend this recipe to her!

Lizzie December 29, 2010 at 7:40 am

Hi Angela,

I don’t know what kind of analytics you have on your website, but I’m your dedicated reader from Slovakia:) I’ve been a vegetarian since I was ten years old but this summer I developed a lactose intolerance so I found your blog and have been using it as a crutch to gradually reducing all animal products since then.

I’m not going to take the full vegan plunge until/if we go back to the US though. It’s ridiculous how much I took leafy greens for granted back home because they don’t have fresh spinach here and it just about kills me (I’ve heard they have Kale here but I have yet to find it).

Anyway, I’ve started using buckwheat a lot recently and I’ve noticed you don’t have any recipes that include it. Have you used it? It’s a complete protein so I love incorporating it in salads like this one you posted. It’s also gluten free.

Thank you so much for your blog. I love it:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 8:44 am

I haven’t used it but it is on my list for sure!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 29, 2010 at 8:44 am

Love this recipe! Where do you buy your wheat berries though? I haven’t been able to find them at Loblaws!

I want to get back on track with organizing my time better. Towards the end of the semester I spent way too much time on school work and too little time with my friends. This upcoming semester I want to have more time for my friends and for personal pursuits like cooking and yoga!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 8:45 am

I’m not sure, I will have to ask my MIL where she bought them!

Margaret December 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I bought the wheat berries at a Health Food Store
MIL

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm

thanks mom!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day December 29, 2010 at 9:45 am

I just love wheatberries! They are perfect for salads and this one looks wonderful.

Sruthi December 29, 2010 at 10:53 am

The salad looks amazing, I will definitely try it out. Where do you buy wheat berries?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 11:17 am

im not sure where my MIL got them, I will have to ask her.

Lisa December 29, 2010 at 11:36 am

If you’re in the US you can get them in the bulk bins at Whole Foods.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm

My MIL got them at a health food store. They were also called Wheat Kernels and not wheat berries :)

sara December 29, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Most stores in Canada have them in the bulk bins!

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond December 30, 2010 at 10:42 am

Thanks Lisa! I will look for them in Whole Foods.

Leanne December 29, 2010 at 11:07 am

I really feel the need to organize my life before 2011 starts. I always feel like a new year offers a new clean slate, and I like to begin the new year feeling in control and organzied! I’ll be cleaning & organizing tonight & tomorrow night!

Stephanie December 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I made this salad for lunch today and it looks gorgeous! I made it exactly as the recipe said, however, I would make two changes next time. These are both based on my personal taste…i would start with one clove of garlic, then add more if necessary. Secondly, i would use about half the amount of parsley(it’s not my favorite). Thanks for the entree ideas this week, I like sweets, but I love savory!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Great feedback! The beauty of it is that you can really adjust it to what you prefer. :) Hope you like it even more next time!

Tami December 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I have been following your wonderful blog for some time but I have never left a comment. This salad was amazing. I made it with farro and quinoa. It was delecious!

Alicia December 29, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I just made this with black quinoa instead of wheat berries and it worked great, so yummy!!! I slapped some pesto hummus on top too, can’t wait to make the rainbow one :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm

its so good with hummus!

Jessica Nichols January 1, 2011 at 8:11 pm

This is SO good. Just made it. I love so many of your recipes! Thanks!! I just read online that you can “pop” wheat berries (like popcorn) to snack on them or top salads. I’m going to have to try this too. It did say to partially cook them before popping.

Stephanie P January 3, 2011 at 12:24 am

I made this last week and sent half of it home to my parents house. They called me tonight to tell me they are currently fighting over who gets the last little bit and that I have to make it again ASAP! HAHA… we ALL loved it! It was soooooo good!!!! Happy New Year :)

Emily January 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Just had this for lunch and it was great. Another success! I had to use soy sauce instead of tamari, and I didn’t soak the wheat berries before cooking them (also forgot to rinse them). Oh I also left out the tomatoes since the winter ones I get in NY are crap. But everything turned out wonderfully.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm

haha nice!!

Cindy January 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I just made your recipe for Wheat Berry salad – I was very hesitant, as other wheat berry recipes I have found and made were not that tasty. This one is great and it is now in my “favorites” file. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas and recipes. I love your site and always look forward to reading it. Happy New Year!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm

thanks Cindy Im glad you like it! Im going to try it with some spelt berries next time :)

Anon January 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm

New reader here. Thanks for introducing wheatberries to my diet. I tried this recipe; it didn’t turn out as flavorful as I had hoped for. It was a bit on the mushy side, but maybe that’s because of the tomatoes I used. The dressing was great.

Stephanie May 31, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Made this for the salad a day challenge for lunch tomorrow! Taste tested it tonight and oh my, its so good!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012 at 8:58 am

glad to hear that!

Julie R June 21, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Just made this tonight but with quinoa since it’s what I had. Totally delish and my 3 yr old loved the deconstructed version i put on her plate. I served it with a cold pea and basil soup ( which she also loved to my amazement). Great for a hot summer night. I’ve made a few of your recipes now and they have all been winners. Thanks! And yes, i’m telling all my friends to read your site too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Thank you so much Julie!

Lynn Fregoso June 25, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I am so glad that I found this web-site!! I am working through your recipe page, I started with the salads first. We loved the Red Quinoia Black bean salad so much that we made it every week, now we are off to the Wheatberry bean salad. My kids are athletes, as I wrote in earlier, and they want healthy meals, these fit the bill, healthy and good tasting. Thank you so much for your work in trying these recipes and then posting them. Lynn

Alina July 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Made this last night for my meat loving parents. They devoured it! I used quinoa instead of wheat berries and it was a terrific combo. Thanks for your blog, I LOVE IT.

Lisa November 15, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I just made this…..it’s delicious! Im glad I finally tried wheat berries!

Betsy Stevens December 27, 2012 at 10:44 am

This salad looks great! Thanks for posting – can’t wait to try it!!

Jill January 8, 2013 at 3:36 am

Hiya!
Your website is awesome! =) Any suggestions on what to replace wheat berries with? Not sure if I can get it easily here in Malaysia. Thanks!

Bryn January 11, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Tried this with a creamy balsamic dressing as that’s what I had on hand and it was outstanding! I had never grated garlic before and whoa, does it ever pack a punch. Forgive me if I ever run into you in town and make a fool out of myself by saying what a fan I am of yours! I promise I will not ask for your autograph, lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2013 at 9:02 am

hah well I would love to meet you! Thanks for trying out the recipe, I’m happy that you enjoyed it.

Lara February 7, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Hi Angela! I’m having a friend over for dinner soon, and I decided to make this recipe (Your recipes never fail!). I already bought all the ingredients and I just found out my friend is sensitive to garlic. Would this recipe still work without the garlic?
Thanks in advance!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 7, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Yes im sure it would still be fine :) Goodluck!

Shweta Ganesh March 17, 2013 at 12:34 am

All of your recipes are excellent and so are the professional photos.
Just saw the site and thought all of the meal recipes are nutritious and fresh.
Excellent site

Abby April 12, 2013 at 9:27 am

I am planning on making this DELICIOUS looking recipe for my in-laws tomorrow night at a dinner I am hosting, and needless to say they are unfamiliar with vegan eating. What would be good options to serve alongside this salad that would knock their socks off? I love making soups (but am unsure of flavors that would be harmonious with this salad) and I thought perhaps something like that and maybe some roasted mushrooms or a large portobello but would also like to stay seasonal. Suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2013 at 11:34 am

Hi Abby, Yes this salad tends to do well at potlucks. I’d also recommend my favourite salad – lightened up goddess bowl found here: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/12/lightened-up-protein-power-goddess-bowl/

Abby April 12, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Thank you, Angela! I hadn’t seen that recipe for the goddess bowl and that looks perfect! I have made several of your soups and have lots of favorites, but I want to try all new recipes for this dinner I’m hosting. Do you think the carrot ginger apple soup would be a good pairing? Thanks for your help!

Ruby August 4, 2013 at 12:20 am

This salad is lovely! We made it with tomato and steamed broccoli instead of capsicum. It was amazing! The flavour had a lovely depth. Very nice! I like wheat berries too.

Pam August 25, 2013 at 9:05 pm

This is what I made today – starting a new school year with my fav salad. I’m set for the week. Thanks so much once again for this recipe – I so enjoy it.

Cassie September 23, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Hi Angela!

I made this for dinner tonight, and boy was it delicious! We gobbled it right up and felt great afterward.

I just have to ask though – how in the world do you get your wheat berries to look so scrumptious?? I followed your directions precisely, but when I looked at the wheat berries this morning after soaking them overnight, they were all split and ugly, though they tasted just great in the salad ;) Any tips?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Hmm I’m not sure, I may have undercooked them? lol.

Elena December 27, 2013 at 12:50 am

Great recipe! I am going to make it! Thank u!

Kara January 8, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Amazing website ! Awesome recipes ! I just recreated this never cooked wheatberries before they salad doesn’t look as pretty as yours but it’s delicious

Ella May 6, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Hey Angela, we made this for dinner last night with all the subs you made and my whole family thought it was delicious! I had leftovers for lunch today and I’m thinking it will definitely become a staple around here

Terri July 28, 2014 at 1:16 pm

This is a great salad. Easy and delicious. Great warm weather salad.

tina January 20, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Is there anything I can sub the wheat berry for? Thank you :)

Kris April 19, 2015 at 7:44 pm

I’m sure you could used quinoa or spelt berries even rice. And grain would fit I think.

Kris April 19, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Yum! This salad was so refreshing. It made a lot but was really good and ,are look forward to lunch :)

Anat September 6, 2015 at 10:40 am

What can i use instead of tamari?

Gamat November 11, 2015 at 1:21 am

Thank you, recipe I’ve ever tried in combination with peanut sauce and the kids really liked this salad

Marlina November 21, 2016 at 4:08 am

healthy food is very good for families, I would try to make it