High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

IMG 6692 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

As a baker, I love how ripe with opportunity the holidays are.

Nothing is off limits, no sweet is too indulgent, and I get to satisfy my urge for vegan dessert experimentation.

IMG 6879 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

It is a fun time in my kitchen!

20101106 IMG 9808 2 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Flour is flying everywhere, sweetener is never far, and my passion for baking vegan desserts is as strong as ever.

20101105 IMG 9645 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Despite my love for baking around the holidays, the fact that I try to lead a balanced and healthy lifestyle remains unchanged.

Desserts and cookies are certainly a part of my family’s holiday tradition, but I also try to achieve a balance during this time of the year. I eat holiday desserts in moderation and the rest of the time I try to base my diet around whole grains, protein sources, vegetables, and fruit, just like I do any other time of the year. Now of course, this doesn’t mean that I never over-indulge- because trust me, as a bakery owner and food blogger I do- but I try to get back on track and fill up on the proper fuel for most of the time.

Today’s post is not about cookies, or pie, or cake, even though those surely do have their place in my balanced diet.

Today’s post is about planning for our health.

I decided to make a healthy and festive holiday soup that I could bring when visiting family this weekend. This Green Monster soup is a fun take on the traditional Split Pea Soup and it is packed with protein that will keep you going for hours and hours! It never hurts to have a few healthy foods around in case we should become so sick of sweets and desserts that we just can’t bring ourselves to eat one more holiday cookie.

IMG 6704 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

It has never happened to me personally, but I imagine that it could…

IMG 6684 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

What I love about this split pea spinach soup is that it could not be any easier! The only chopping you have to do is for the onions.

Gather your rinsed and uncooked split peas, onions, olive oil, salt, lemon.

IMG 6656 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Grab a huge handful of spinach and set aside…

IMG 6668 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

The spinach makes the soup go from blah yellow-green to a gorgeous bright green just like a Green Monster!

Add your olive oil to a pot over medium heat and sauté your onions for a few minutes.

IMG 6664 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Now add split peas and your 5 cups of vegetable broth. I made my broth using 5 cups of boiling water and a bouillon cube. If you use a bouillon cube you will probably need less salt, so adjust to taste and always add the salt slowly.

IMG 6671 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Cook for 20-25 minutes over medium heat. Now take 1/2-2/3 of the soup and place into the blender.

IMG 6676 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Add the spinach and blend until smooth.

IMG 6678 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

If I wasn’t mistaken, I would think this was a Green Monster for breakfast!

IMG 6679 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Add it back to the other reserved potion of the chunky, non-blended soup.

IMG 6681 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Stir well. Add lemon and adjust seasonings to taste. Alternatively, you can blend the entire soup until smooth. It just depends on what you prefer. I did not blend all of it because Eric has some texture issues with blended soups. He likes it nice and chunky!

Ladle into bowls and add a swirl of olive oil, a pinch of smoked paprika, and a dusting of lemon zest.

IMG 6699 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Perfecto!

IMG 6688 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

This soup is LOADED with protein and fibre! Did you know that split peas have 23 grams of protein and 17 grams of fibre per 3/4 cup?

IMG 6721 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Amazing!!!

IMG 6722 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Eric loved this soup and he is not a soup fan by any means. He said the green colour scared him at first, but he actually enjoyed it! I was floored. He also said it tasted a bit like mashed potatoes and it would go nicely with ketchup.lol. He kills me, he really kills me.

If you have never had split pea soup before, prepare yourself because it is more of a bland tasting soup, but with the right seasonings it tastes lovely. I think the only thing I would change next time is that I would blend more of the mixture to create a thicker soup and leave less of it chunky. I am used to eating Amy’s brand split pea soup and I love how it is very thick and 100% pureed. It is a personal preference though!

IMG 6707 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

You can play around with it to suit your needs. This soup also goes lovely with fresh bread or crackers.

IMG 6709 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

I will be bringing a big container of soup this weekend so I have a high-protein option whenever I need it for lunches.

IMG 6711 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

I’ve also got some Wheat Grass powder in my holster if things get ugly…

IMG 6810 thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

If you are looking for another easy + festive holiday soup, I highly recommend this Holiday Soup For The Soul. It’s one of my favourites.

20101116IMG 0556 thumb thumb   High Protein Green Monster Holiday Soup

Now that the holidays are here, are you thinking about how you will achieve a balance? Do you plan in advance or make any healthy dishes?

Allison @ Food For Healing December 23, 2010

that soup definitely looks interesting! such a bright green, but it looks very tasty and chrismasy.
this holiday season i will just watch what i eat, and make sure not to eat without thinking! i’ve got a big vacation coming up in a month so i cant afford to gain weight over christmas!

Katy @ A Healthy Shot December 23, 2010

That soup is gorgeous! I love the green!
I’m trying to just be aware of what I’m eating during the holidays and practice moderation…. which includes leaving room for Christmas cookies as an essential food group ;-)

Vanessa December 23, 2010

The holidays can be a tough time to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I try to bring a healthy option to any parties I go to. For tomorrow night, Greek salad bites! I think will power is most important though. There are so many sweets at work today. I just stared at a chocolate chip cookie for about 5 minutes before grabbing my Greek yogurt from the fridge and going back to my desk. I love indulging, but I almost always feel ill after I do. Not worth it! By the way, that soup sounds so good. I bet I could try it with some green lentils too!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 23, 2010

You’ve got a neon soup over there! I am newly in love with peas. The sweeter the better. Happy Holidays, Ange!

Veronica @ lifewithnature December 23, 2010

Never used green split peas before, but I’m sure they are as delicious as the yellow ones. And packed with protein, fiber and all the health benefits of spinach, this soup is definitely a delicious way to detox and support your body during the holidays. I bet it’s also very heart-warming…

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 23, 2010

i’m totally drooling…i would even add more spinach too! what a fabulous and healthy soup :) served with some of that no-knead bread and i’d be a happy camper :)

Laura December 23, 2010

I hear you, sister! I’ve been baking for the past few days (cookies make great gifts after all!), and I feel SO overloaded on sugar. I made a green monster for breakfast which got my day off to a great start, and I’m looking forward to a veggie filled lunch. Your soup looks great– I can’t wait to give it a try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2010

i had a GM for brekkie too,….felt SO good!

Laura December 23, 2010

When my husband saw me drinking it he said, “those veggies are going straight into your bloodstream!” haha That’s how I like it. :-)

Balanced Healthy Life December 23, 2010

That soup looks so great! I love how green it is! Perfect for the holidays!

Ms. Brett December 23, 2010

The green monster soup looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it. Just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your entries in Project Food Buzz and was voting for you and keeping my fingers crossed that you would win. I will remain an OSGite.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 23, 2010

I had no idea split peas had so much protein in them! This sounds delicious, especially right now because my fingers are so cold! I’ve never tried wheatgrass powder, but tried some wheatgrass juice that I got from WholeFoods as while ago by adding the frozen cubes into my green monsters each day. I think they boosted my energy because I certainly felt quite alert – at least I like to think they had a positive effect!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2010

I love those frozen cubes! I had some last month, but sadly ran out. I felt so amazing when i put them in my GM’s!

Lauren at KeepItSweet December 23, 2010

this is a great post and a good reminder to maintain (or try to maintain) balance through the holidays! i love split pea soup, especially when it is homemade!

Roz December 23, 2010

This soup looks amazing! (and so festive in the red bowl!!) Soup is SOOOO good any time of year! (and I have a cold at the moment, so if you could ship me a vat of this, that would be great!! Sooo kidding of course :) – well, about the shipping, but I would like a vat of it! )

Krystina (Basil & Wine) December 23, 2010

I think I’m making this tonight. Lord knows I need some nutrients in my system.

Amy December 23, 2010

Now you tell me! I have to balance out my diet, I can’t just live on all the sweet baked goods this holiday season? BAHAHA!!!
Just kidding! I am going to make a big bowl of hearty green chili stew with a ton of veggies.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2010

mmm that sounds good!

Ashley December 23, 2010

That soup looks so delicious. I had no idea split peas had that much protein in them!

Sherry December 23, 2010

Angie you will be so proud!
You have two more male converts to green monsters. Another male who thinks he might drink them once in awhile and the dog. Nick 15 now drinks them every day, Jesse 14 who does not eat anything veggie drinks one every day and Cory is welling to drink them once in awhile. The dog loves them. I made the first one from your standard recipe; they were only ok with it. I then added a half teaspoon of vanilla and they fell in love with them, I also let them blend until they are really foamy. Nick has moved on to using chia seed in his now. Keep up all the good work Angie, we will have the men in our lives eating better, it just takes moving a few mountains first.
Sherry

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2010

That is great news!!! The addition of vanilla is such a good idea too.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe December 23, 2010

Thanks for this! There are so many dessert recipes up this time of year, and as much as I love them, I need real food too! Split pea soup is one of my favorite things in the world. This bright green version looks so delicious, I’ll definitely be giving it a try.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete December 23, 2010

I had no idea split green peas had so much protein! When I first read the ingredient list I thought, “high protein??? where?” Now I see :)

This looks great and I love the olive oil drizzle on top!

Amber K December 23, 2010

I indulge with desserts and try to eat healthy with my meals. I have never liked my family’s cooking and so it isn’t a problem to me to skip the high calorie dinner foods. Now dessert…let me at it! :)

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut December 23, 2010

We usually have leftovers for lunch so I will make that as healthy as possible. My family also goes for a lot of walks during the holidays. Family time and exercise, can’t think of anything better!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2010

I love holiday walks! Will be doing some of that this weekend :)

Bronwyn Coyne December 23, 2010

I usually just try to stick in veggies wherever I can. I also just try to eat smaller(ish) portions. But overall I just let myself enjoy the holiday. It’s Christmas!

lindsay December 23, 2010

ph perfect winter nourishment. I bet this soup tastes amazing post run in the snow!

Lindsay December 23, 2010

I am so totally going to make this tonight! It sounds soooo perfect! This holiday season I am pregnant for the first time and finding balance is a constant challange. It’s so cliche to over indulge because your pregnant, but even more so with the holidays thrown in there! Being vegan makes it important to be intentional with my nutrition and I am really finding a great happy medium between nutrition packed options and pumpkin gingerbread :). It makes me happy to know that my good food choices are setting up my little girl for a lifetime of health!

carlee December 23, 2010

that actually looks a little good. not gonna lie it didnt make me salivate or anything though! haha. but spilt pea is okee doke. not my favorite though!
Holiday soup for the soul…NOW WE’RE TALKIN! That looks gorgeous angela.
You always take beautiful photos.

Kat December 23, 2010

I don’t think there’s anything as too many cookies either. This soup looks really good

Kayley December 23, 2010

I love how there are a few shots of the soup that make it look like it’s smiling :) Now how could I resist a soup that smiles at me!

courtney December 23, 2010

My boyfriend thinks everything tastes better with ketchup. I’ve gotten over being insulted by it :D This looks wonderful; have a great holiday Angela!

Kelly December 23, 2010

Oh that soup looks amazing! I think that shall be on the dinner menu for this evening despite how packed the grocery store will be. I’m on serious sugar overload from a work holiday party so I’m taking the next few days as an opportunity to eat much more green!

Caroline December 23, 2010

I’ll have to try this one as your Holiday Soup is a huge, huge hit with me and my husband! I’m sure this won’t lead us astray!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2010

I dont like this one better than the holiday soup…BUT I have always enjoyed split pea soup so I guess that helps me love this one too. I find when ppl are trying it for the first time, it can go either way! I love how high in protein it is and that I can have a bowl and be full for hours.

Sondi December 23, 2010

Looks awesome. I have everything in my house right now to make this – except for the spinach. But I do have kale, so I think I’ll try that instead. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 23, 2010

Great post, Angela! I was actually *just* prewriting some of my posts for the next few days and was going to ask if people were sugared/desserted/cookied out? Because yes, around this time of year it’s in abundance. And I love desserts like nobody’s biz but I also balance it with exercise, a healthy diet, and a good attitude..and moderation. I don’t deny myself things if I want a bite or two, but that’s what I have. I dont need to have 4 cookies if all I want is a bite. That’s how I balance. Such a great question.

And my mom made split pea soup as a kid. I can still smell it. lol. To me, it has a very, ahem, unique smell, when it’s cooking :)

Lorin December 23, 2010

I could never have just one bit of a cookie, I at least want one. I give you credit for your will power, though. Each person has their own level of moderation I suppose.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 23, 2010

Sometimes I have 2 or 3 cookies…at once. Sometimes I have two bites. It just depends. Wasn’t trying to say that I always just have a bite. Sometimes yes, but not always :)

GlowingBIL December 23, 2010

Bring enough for the kids this weekend.. the true test will be if the 18 month old will eat it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2010

uh oh pressure is on!

Nico December 23, 2010

my boyfriend loves split pea soup but I have never made it because it looks so gross to me! this one actually looks better because of the bright green spinach; I might give it a try!

Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds December 23, 2010

haha…. that’s a whole lotta green! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2010

green? What green? lol

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 23, 2010

Thoughts about my health are even more prevalent now that the holidays are here because I’m so out of my element. It’s pretty tough being back home in the American south where most people love barbeque, burgers and steaks- here I come: this vegetarian chick… Many people here (including family members) are shocked and bewildered by my eating habits but I enjoy explaining it all to them. Hey, maybe it’ll make in impact on the way they think about eating :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2010

i love your positive attitude towards it!

Stefanie December 23, 2010

I had no idea that split peas had so much protein! Split pea soup here I come! :)

Mary December 23, 2010

Loved your Holiday Soup for the Soul. Can’t wait to try this one. I’m always looking for a good protein source.

Lisa Fine December 23, 2010

I love split pea soup, and love the idea of adding some spinach to it for extra greenery. I’ve never blended mine though, since I find it cooks down so much that it doesn’t need it.

Katie December 23, 2010

I used to make pureed soup with whatever green veggies I had and it never failed to disappoint. Creamy green goodness. Its great with nutritional yeast too. But, really. What isn’t?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2010

mmm i would have never thought to add nooch….I cant wait to try this!!

AGS December 23, 2010

Love this BRIGHT green soup — and blenderizing it probably speeds up what is otherwise a several hour cooking process with split peas. The next time you make guacamole, try adding some cookied (fresh, cooked) mashed peas — it’s a nice twist, and adds a great fibre/protein boost to the healthy fats — a favorite of mine on a tortilla.

Yep — I LOVE holiday sweets, but I do try to have a couple of days “off” of sweets each week. That way, I never lose my taste for all the holiday goodies! I also like to treat myself to healthy treats — things that I always like to eat/drink, but don’t because of cost, for instance. Tonight it will be a huge Siam salad with marinated tofu from Mixt (http://mixtgreens.com/). I’ll be working another late night at the office, and it’s either a speciality salad or a speciality cookie — and the 24th and 25th are set aside for cookies already!

Page 1 of 212»