Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Firstly, I want to say a huge THANK YOU for your support with Project Food Blog. Week after week, I have been blown away by the incredible positivity and support that you have given me. My husband, family, friends, and readers have stood by my side for the past 3 months. I’ve known this from day one, but I seriously have the most amazing support a blogger could EVER ask for. I won Reader’s Choice 5 times out of 9 in the contest, so that just tells you how awesome you guys have been to me.

I did not end up winning the contest, but I would like to applaud Tiny Urban Kitchen for her win in Project Food Blog. The real value of this competition for me has been the learning experience, growth, ignited passion, and the platform to show you what I love to do.

IMG 6226 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Tonight marks the beginning of the first free weekend I have had since the start of Project Food Blog way back in September. I really don’t know what I will do with myself. Well, you know…except blog, bake, and try to fix the disaster that is my house. I feel like I have 3 months of my life to catch up on.

IMG 5182 thumb1   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Oh, and I decided that I am not ready for 2011 yet…

It feels like I just wrote my 10 in 2010 resolution list and now I will be writing another one soon. It will be fun to go over though. I’m looking forward to doing a couple recaps in the next 2 weeks. I’m also very excited to tell you all about my new goals for 2011…and find out what you are shooting for too!

20101129 IMG 3889 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Yesterday, I came across Pioneer Woman’s Pico De Gallo and I suddenly found myself with a huge craving for the fresh, crisp, and clean flavours that make up this Mexican delight.

And then Pico de Gallo turned into something a bit crazy and my kitchen now looks a bit like this.

Ok, it actually it looked much, much worse.

So bad, in fact, I chose not to take a picture for fear that you would all abandon me in horror.

IMG 6146 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

To make, grab your Pico de Gallo rock stars…

IMG 6135 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

My grocery store did not have jalapeno peppers, so I grabbed this one above, which I believe is some kind of banana chili pepper.

It was hot.

And it worked.

Chop your little heart out. Actually don’t…that wouldn’t be nice.

Chop the veggies up.

IMG 6144 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

I removed the seeds of my hot peppers because Eric is not a big fan of spicy foods and the seeds contain the most heat.

I think Cilantro is one of my all time favourite smells. It is so clean and fresh! Almost like a just out of the shower kind of smell. Mmm.

Mix the above together in a large bowl and squeeze with the juice of 1 lime (or to taste)…

IMG 6149 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Stir well.

IMG 6146 thumb1   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Now you have Pico de Gallo that will rock your face off.

But of course, I could not just leave it at that!

IMG 6154 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

I had avocados to be rescued…

IMG 6160 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Easy Guacamole

Adapted from Pioneer Woman.

Ingredients:

• 4 ripe avocados
  • 1 cup of Pico de Gallo
  • Kosher salt, to taste

Directions: Cut your avocados in half and remove the pits. Roughly chop the avocado flesh and then take a fork and mash it up until you have the consistency that you want. I like to leave lots of big chunks in there! Now add 1 cup of Pico de Gallo and mix gently. Season with kosher salt to taste.

Once you have your Pico de Gallo made, this could not be any easier!

You mash up 4 avocados with a fork. I like to leave it nice and chunky.

IMG 6156 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Add 1 cup of Pico and gently mix.

IMG 6159 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

There you have it!

IMG 6160 thumb1   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Easy and fresh Guacamole in a jiffy.

But, no, I did not stop there.

I was thinking one thing and one thing only.

7 Layer Mexican Dip.

Once I set my mind on something there is no turning back.

I chopped about 1/2 cup of spinach greens.

IMG 6169 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Then I grabbed a can of black beans.

IMG 6179 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Added in some olive oil, kosher salt, and cumin and I processed it leaving it nice and chunky!

IMG 6185 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Then I processed together some vegan sour cream with a taco seasoning package.

IMG 6166 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Then I made my cheese sauce from my Vegan Mac ‘n cheese.

IMG 6180 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

I grabbed some green onions…

IMG 6189 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Before I knew it, magic happened.

IMG 6211 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Ok, it wasn’t magic, it was actually a lot of work (1.5 hours start to finish!), but the outcome was awesome!

IMG 6207 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

IMG 6220bbb thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

And now I must go clean up.

IMG 6217 thumb   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Coming up in my next post…Homemade Peppermint Nog and Vegan Eggnog. Very excited.

quote1 thumb1   Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Silvia @ skinny jeans food December 17, 2010

Hi Angela! Congrats of making the final 3 of food buzz blog challenge! What an accomplishment!

kelly December 17, 2010

Aww I am bummed that you didn’t win!! But congrats for making it soooo far! You did great :)

That dip looks to die for too :)

Andrea December 17, 2010

Sorry to hear you didn’t win, but congratulations anyway on all your fantastic work! :) Dip looks yummy too!

Kathryn December 17, 2010

excuse me while I wipe up the mess I made trying to eat the screen…

Shanna, like Banana December 17, 2010

You did a fabulous job Angela — and congrats to Tiny Urban Kitchen.

Enjoy a more relaxing weekend ;)

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 17, 2010

I don’t know what to do first… Go make this or wipe the drool off of my keyboard :) :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 17, 2010

I was bummed you didn’t win, but every one of you in the final 3 were amazing. Plus, no matter what you still accomplished SO much! I’m glad you feel so great about it all.

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] December 17, 2010

Ooh, that dip looks delicious. I need to start using my food processor more these days, and that is PERFECT. :) Congrats on getting so far on the Foodbuzz contest. It was very inspiring to see all of the contestants’ creations. I especially loved your behind the scenes post!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please December 17, 2010

You were absolutely amazing in the competition and you certainly can count yourself as a winner for making it so far and for winning Readers’ Choice so many times! I hope you enjoy the next few weeks now that things will hopefully be calmer!

Tamara December 17, 2010

Your attitude is so contagious, and your ability to always see the positive. You rock and totally deserved your top-3 status and your numerous readers’ choice awards! Have a fantastic, relaxing weekend, my dear. :D

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 17, 2010

I’m really sad you didn’t win, but you did AMAZINGLY getting as far as you did! :)
And that seven-layer dip looks beyond awesome! I can’t turn down anything with guacamole! :P

Healthy Chocoholic December 17, 2010

Wow that dip looks good!!!!!!!!!!! 7 layer is my dad’s favorite…so I might be making this version of it soon!!!!

stacey-healthylife December 17, 2010

I am beyond shocked. I thought you had that hands down. I just can’t believe it. I think you deserved it. It just means there are better things waiting for you ahead. Your hard work over the last three months will still bring you lots of success in the future.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats December 17, 2010

I am so sorry you did not win, but wanted to say I loved reading about your journey. I am also loving the recipe above :)

Sara N December 17, 2010

I am shocked that you did not win–I thought that you were clearly the best! Voted for you each challenge.

Cindy December 17, 2010

Angela, So sorry you did not win. Honestly I cant believe it. You deserved it. Sometimes in life 2nd place turns out to open more doors. Look at Susan Boyle, she came in second and no one can even remember who came in first. Same for many idol contestants. Jennifer Hudson didnt even get as far as you did and she won an Academy Award. Doors will open for you. This is not the end …. it’s just the beginning.

Kris December 17, 2010

:-) I agree! I think there is much more in store for your future!!! All I can say is look at Chris Doughtry…I mean, Taylor Hicks won that contest and we can all see how that is going! ;-)

Alicia December 17, 2010

Angela… I’m so sorry you didn’t win! I always read your blog but this is my first comment. I just wanted to tell you that, even though I’m sad you didn’t win, I REALLY do think that your blog has improved a lot since this challenge started. It was already very good, I’m not saying otherwise, but all this time you’ve invested is really showing! The quality of your photos and writing has improved a lot and I think you’ve found your writer’s voice.
I can see lots of success in your future! (Specifically, I think you’re one step away from a cookbook)

Congratulations!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 17, 2010

What a day!! I totally feel like some fresh flavors as well, so I’m going to make some OSG dips for dinner :)

Dee December 17, 2010

Oh.my.gosh. This looks and sounds sooo good!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 17, 2010

Honestly, the list of things I want to make for Christmas dinner keeps getting longer and longer. I should tell my guests to stop eating now in preparation for the feast. And I see green and red in this, so this is absolutely a Christmas dish ;)

Gypsy December 17, 2010

I’m sad you didn’t win too, but you got sooooo far in that contest!
And the blogs and the recipes have been amazing–
Can’t wait to see your recaps for the year :)

Kristy December 17, 2010

This recipe looks fantastic. Mexican is by far one of my favorites. Congratulations on how far you made it! I adore all of your recipes and have made a few of them on occasion. I venture into becoming vegan but haven’t made the step to go full on just yet.

Kris December 17, 2010

I am COMPLETELY shocked that you did not win this!!! I personally think that you more than deserved it. All of your entries were outstanding and the fact that you won Reader’s Choice 5 times shows that I am not the only one who thinks that! :-) Sometimes, unfortunately, judges decide to go with the under dog or to vote politically. There are many brighter things in your future although it may be hard to see that now. So sorry to hear, but excited for your next step! :-)

Alex December 18, 2010

A little unfair, it wasn’t a popularity contest. I think Angela did fantastic, great photography and she has a huge reader base, but that did not guarantee her the win. All of the final three were worthy.

Kris December 19, 2010

I agree, it wasn’t a popularity contest. It was about talent. Just because someone is popular shouldn’t mean that they are at a disadvantage to win. The fact that so many of us love and follow her work proves that she has something really special. Don’t all successful people have a fan base that follow their work? Last time I check Oprah didn’t have a half full audience.

I think the other 2 contestants were good as well, but my opinion is just that Angela was great! I guess time will tell….

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe December 17, 2010

Hey Angela – I have to tell you I was so shocked that you didn’t win! I know all three of the top contestants were great bloggers, but I truly think you are a step above the rest. It’s neither here nor there now, though. I know there are so many exciting things in your future, and I can’t wait to follow your blog as you continue on this journey! You are such an inspiration to me to go after my dreams and do anything I want to do. So thanks for that:)

And as for the mexican fiesta above…I’m majorly craving it all now and I’m thinking I’ll have to make a tasty mexican dinner!

Beth December 17, 2010

That pico de gallo is the best I’ve ever tasted. I think I could devour an entire bowl all by myself. And now 7-layer dip?! You are one seriously creative vegan chef. I’m really surprised that you didn’t win, but it was a lot of fun following your progress through the past weeks and months. You should be REALLY proud of yourself. You did an amazing job. So congratulations on everything you accomplished!

Rhona December 17, 2010

Ah crap! So sorry you didnt win. Funny I was thinking about your all day wishing that you won! Next time. This dip looks soooo fab I must make it. Also, I am making a version of your blondies tomorrow for friends. I will link back to you of course.

Leanne December 17, 2010

Congrats on making it so far! I really thought that you did an amazing job and you won in my book. I am new to the blog world and have found your blog super inspirational and fun. You’ve actually motivated me to consider starting my own. Keep up the great work. You are an example to us all!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 17, 2010

Ange, I want to say congratulations again for making it so far. Even though you didn’t win, you are still one of my biggest sources of inspiration and I admire you for every single post you’ve written – both for PFB and outside of the competition. You are truly amazing!!! :)

Lisa December 17, 2010

I. AM. SOOOO. UPSET!!! i’ve been an OhSheGlows follower for nearly a year and your blog has truly changed my life in so many ways! I was so excited when you embarked on this journey and voted for you (numerous times!) every step of the way!! I wasn’t even being bias- your posts were consistently the best one in each category, especially in the 10th!!!! I thought that you FOR SURE were gonna win and the outcome truly saddens me :( You are such an inspiration to Vegans, Bloggers, and people who love to cook. I know God has bigger and better things in store for you, so that is what’s getting me though this shock, but ahkjshakjdsan i really thought you had it! :’(

Hawley December 17, 2010

Sorry you didn’t win- I was rooting for you!

One of my FAVORITE snacks in the world is hummus layered with salsa. It sounds odd, but it reminded me of this dip. In a shallow dish or bowl, layer hummus and a good quality salsa. It is so so so good.

Charlie December 17, 2010

That dip looks so good! Beautiful too ;).
Guacamole sounds especially good to me right now. Craving lots of avocado these days :).

Liz December 17, 2010

I’m so sorry that you didn’t win — especially after seeing your behind the scenes post and realizing how much hard work you put into it. You did a wonderful job and your posts were filled with beautiful photography. Congratulations for getting to the final rounds and for being so inspiring!

Leilani December 17, 2010

No matter what you are a superstar! You did an amazing job on all of your challenges! So in my book Angela, you are the winner! :) and 3rd place is quite an accomplishment! You should be so proud of yourself!

liane December 17, 2010

I wonder if mutiny would result if I swapped out my mom’s beloved seven layer mexican dip for this one at our upcoming family and friends dinner?! I mean, my mom’s only been making her dip for the last 15 years or so, and heaven forbid she not bring it to each and every gathering… Hmmmmm…..

Allison December 17, 2010

As a fellow vegan (and blogger and Foodbuzz-er) I’m very proud of how you represented us vegan-types in PFB2010. Seriously great job, girlie! :-)

Love your 7 layer dip idea! We have our “Traditional, Non-Traditional” Christmas dinner coming up and we’re going with a Mexican theme year. I’ll have to give this a try! Nothing says Happy Holidays like tacos and dip, right? Ok, and maybe a margarita!

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 17, 2010

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t win but you should be proud of your accomplishments! :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet December 17, 2010

somehow i don’t think my layered dip has ever looked that pretty

Sara December 17, 2010

Dang that does stink that you didn’t win, but the fact that you’re taking it so well just goes to show what an awesome person you are!! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2010

Thanks everyone!

Dorry December 17, 2010

Seven layer dip is one of my favorite things! I haven’t made a vegan version since I’ve been dairy-free and I can’t wait to give this a whirl. Delish.

Congrats on making it so far in the contest. You had my vote with each challenge and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t bummed when I found out you didn’t win. Love your attitude and glad you got so much out of the challenge! :)

Page 1 of 3123»