Pico de Gallo + Guacamole + Vegan 7 Layer Dip

Firstly, I want to say a huge THANK YOU for your support with Project Food Blog. Week after week, I have been blown away by the incredible positivity and support that you have given me. My husband, family, friends, and readers have stood by my side for the past 3 months. I’ve known this from day one, but I seriously have the most amazing support a blogger could EVER ask for. I won Reader’s Choice 5 times out of 9 in the contest, so that just tells you how awesome you guys have been to me.

I did not end up winning the contest, but I would like to applaud Tiny Urban Kitchen for her win in Project Food Blog. The real value of this competition for me has been the learning experience, growth, ignited passion, and the platform to show you what I love to do.

IMG_6226

Tonight marks the beginning of the first free weekend I have had since the start of Project Food Blog way back in September. I really don’t know what I will do with myself. Well, you know…except blog, bake, and try to fix the disaster that is my house. I feel like I have 3 months of my life to catch up on.

IMG_5182

Oh, and I decided that I am not ready for 2011 yet…

It feels like I just wrote my 10 in 2010 resolution list and now I will be writing another one soon. It will be fun to go over though. I’m looking forward to doing a couple recaps in the next 2 weeks. I’m also very excited to tell you all about my new goals for 2011…and find out what you are shooting for too!

20101129-IMG_3889

Yesterday, I came across Pioneer Woman’s Pico De Gallo and I suddenly found myself with a huge craving for the fresh, crisp, and clean flavours that make up this Mexican delight.

And then Pico de Gallo turned into something a bit crazy and my kitchen now looks a bit like this.

Ok, it actually it looked much, much worse.

So bad, in fact, I chose not to take a picture for fear that you would all abandon me in horror.

IMG_6146

To make, grab your Pico de Gallo rock stars…

IMG_6135

My grocery store did not have jalapeno peppers, so I grabbed this one above, which I believe is some kind of banana chili pepper.

It was hot.

And it worked.

Chop your little heart out. Actually don’t…that wouldn’t be nice.

Chop the veggies up.

IMG_6144

I removed the seeds of my hot peppers because Eric is not a big fan of spicy foods and the seeds contain the most heat.

I think Cilantro is one of my all time favourite smells. It is so clean and fresh! Almost like a just out of the shower kind of smell. Mmm.

Mix the above together in a large bowl and squeeze with the juice of 1 lime (or to taste)…

IMG_6149

Stir well.

IMG_6146

Now you have Pico de Gallo that will rock your face off.

But of course, I could not just leave it at that!

IMG_6154

I had avocados to be rescued…

IMG_6160

Easy Guacamole

Adapted from Pioneer Woman.

Ingredients:

• 4 ripe avocados
  • 1 cup of Pico de Gallo
  • Kosher salt, to taste

Directions: Cut your avocados in half and remove the pits. Roughly chop the avocado flesh and then take a fork and mash it up until you have the consistency that you want. I like to leave lots of big chunks in there! Now add 1 cup of Pico de Gallo and mix gently. Season with kosher salt to taste.

Once you have your Pico de Gallo made, this could not be any easier!

You mash up 4 avocados with a fork. I like to leave it nice and chunky.

IMG_6156

Add 1 cup of Pico and gently mix.

IMG_6159

There you have it!

IMG_6160

Easy and fresh Guacamole in a jiffy.

But, no, I did not stop there.

I was thinking one thing and one thing only.

7 Layer Mexican Dip.

Once I set my mind on something there is no turning back.

I chopped about 1/2 cup of spinach greens.

IMG_6169

Then I grabbed a can of black beans.

IMG_6179

Added in some olive oil, kosher salt, and cumin and I processed it leaving it nice and chunky!

IMG_6185

Then I processed together some vegan sour cream with a taco seasoning package.

IMG_6166

Then I made my cheese sauce from my Vegan Mac ‘n cheese.

IMG_6180

I grabbed some green onions…

IMG_6189

Before I knew it, magic happened.

IMG_6211

Ok, it wasn’t magic, it was actually a lot of work (1.5 hours start to finish!), but the outcome was awesome!

IMG_6207

IMG_6220bbb

And now I must go clean up.

IMG_6217

Coming up in my next post…Homemade Peppermint Nog and Vegan Eggnog. Very excited.

quote1

1 Silvia @ skinny jeans food December 17, 2010

Hi Angela! Congrats of making the final 3 of food buzz blog challenge! What an accomplishment!

2 kelly December 17, 2010

Aww I am bummed that you didn’t win!! But congrats for making it soooo far! You did great :)

That dip looks to die for too :)

3 Andrea December 17, 2010

Sorry to hear you didn’t win, but congratulations anyway on all your fantastic work! :) Dip looks yummy too!

4 Kathryn December 17, 2010

excuse me while I wipe up the mess I made trying to eat the screen…

5 Shanna, like Banana December 17, 2010

You did a fabulous job Angela — and congrats to Tiny Urban Kitchen.

Enjoy a more relaxing weekend ;)

6 Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 17, 2010

I don’t know what to do first… Go make this or wipe the drool off of my keyboard :) :)

7 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 17, 2010

I was bummed you didn’t win, but every one of you in the final 3 were amazing. Plus, no matter what you still accomplished SO much! I’m glad you feel so great about it all.

8 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] December 17, 2010

Ooh, that dip looks delicious. I need to start using my food processor more these days, and that is PERFECT. :) Congrats on getting so far on the Foodbuzz contest. It was very inspiring to see all of the contestants’ creations. I especially loved your behind the scenes post!

9 Bethany @ More Fruit Please December 17, 2010

You were absolutely amazing in the competition and you certainly can count yourself as a winner for making it so far and for winning Readers’ Choice so many times! I hope you enjoy the next few weeks now that things will hopefully be calmer!

10 Tamara December 17, 2010

Your attitude is so contagious, and your ability to always see the positive. You rock and totally deserved your top-3 status and your numerous readers’ choice awards! Have a fantastic, relaxing weekend, my dear. :D

11 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 17, 2010

I’m really sad you didn’t win, but you did AMAZINGLY getting as far as you did! :)
And that seven-layer dip looks beyond awesome! I can’t turn down anything with guacamole! :P

12 Healthy Chocoholic December 17, 2010

Wow that dip looks good!!!!!!!!!!! 7 layer is my dad’s favorite…so I might be making this version of it soon!!!!

13 stacey-healthylife December 17, 2010

I am beyond shocked. I thought you had that hands down. I just can’t believe it. I think you deserved it. It just means there are better things waiting for you ahead. Your hard work over the last three months will still bring you lots of success in the future.

14 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats December 17, 2010

I am so sorry you did not win, but wanted to say I loved reading about your journey. I am also loving the recipe above :)

15 Sara N December 17, 2010

I am shocked that you did not win–I thought that you were clearly the best! Voted for you each challenge.

16 Cindy December 17, 2010

Angela, So sorry you did not win. Honestly I cant believe it. You deserved it. Sometimes in life 2nd place turns out to open more doors. Look at Susan Boyle, she came in second and no one can even remember who came in first. Same for many idol contestants. Jennifer Hudson didnt even get as far as you did and she won an Academy Award. Doors will open for you. This is not the end …. it’s just the beginning.

17 Kris December 17, 2010

:-) I agree! I think there is much more in store for your future!!! All I can say is look at Chris Doughtry…I mean, Taylor Hicks won that contest and we can all see how that is going! ;-)

18 Alicia December 17, 2010

Angela… I’m so sorry you didn’t win! I always read your blog but this is my first comment. I just wanted to tell you that, even though I’m sad you didn’t win, I REALLY do think that your blog has improved a lot since this challenge started. It was already very good, I’m not saying otherwise, but all this time you’ve invested is really showing! The quality of your photos and writing has improved a lot and I think you’ve found your writer’s voice.
I can see lots of success in your future! (Specifically, I think you’re one step away from a cookbook)

Congratulations!

19 Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 17, 2010

What a day!! I totally feel like some fresh flavors as well, so I’m going to make some OSG dips for dinner :)

20 Dee December 17, 2010

Oh.my.gosh. This looks and sounds sooo good!

21 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 17, 2010

Honestly, the list of things I want to make for Christmas dinner keeps getting longer and longer. I should tell my guests to stop eating now in preparation for the feast. And I see green and red in this, so this is absolutely a Christmas dish ;)

22 Gypsy December 17, 2010

I’m sad you didn’t win too, but you got sooooo far in that contest!
And the blogs and the recipes have been amazing–
Can’t wait to see your recaps for the year :)

23 Kristy December 17, 2010

This recipe looks fantastic. Mexican is by far one of my favorites. Congratulations on how far you made it! I adore all of your recipes and have made a few of them on occasion. I venture into becoming vegan but haven’t made the step to go full on just yet.

24 Kris December 17, 2010

I am COMPLETELY shocked that you did not win this!!! I personally think that you more than deserved it. All of your entries were outstanding and the fact that you won Reader’s Choice 5 times shows that I am not the only one who thinks that! :-) Sometimes, unfortunately, judges decide to go with the under dog or to vote politically. There are many brighter things in your future although it may be hard to see that now. So sorry to hear, but excited for your next step! :-)

25 Alex December 18, 2010

A little unfair, it wasn’t a popularity contest. I think Angela did fantastic, great photography and she has a huge reader base, but that did not guarantee her the win. All of the final three were worthy.

26 Kris December 19, 2010

I agree, it wasn’t a popularity contest. It was about talent. Just because someone is popular shouldn’t mean that they are at a disadvantage to win. The fact that so many of us love and follow her work proves that she has something really special. Don’t all successful people have a fan base that follow their work? Last time I check Oprah didn’t have a half full audience.

I think the other 2 contestants were good as well, but my opinion is just that Angela was great! I guess time will tell….

27 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe December 17, 2010

Hey Angela – I have to tell you I was so shocked that you didn’t win! I know all three of the top contestants were great bloggers, but I truly think you are a step above the rest. It’s neither here nor there now, though. I know there are so many exciting things in your future, and I can’t wait to follow your blog as you continue on this journey! You are such an inspiration to me to go after my dreams and do anything I want to do. So thanks for that:)

And as for the mexican fiesta above…I’m majorly craving it all now and I’m thinking I’ll have to make a tasty mexican dinner!

28 Beth December 17, 2010

That pico de gallo is the best I’ve ever tasted. I think I could devour an entire bowl all by myself. And now 7-layer dip?! You are one seriously creative vegan chef. I’m really surprised that you didn’t win, but it was a lot of fun following your progress through the past weeks and months. You should be REALLY proud of yourself. You did an amazing job. So congratulations on everything you accomplished!

29 Rhona December 17, 2010

Ah crap! So sorry you didnt win. Funny I was thinking about your all day wishing that you won! Next time. This dip looks soooo fab I must make it. Also, I am making a version of your blondies tomorrow for friends. I will link back to you of course.

30 Leanne December 17, 2010

Congrats on making it so far! I really thought that you did an amazing job and you won in my book. I am new to the blog world and have found your blog super inspirational and fun. You’ve actually motivated me to consider starting my own. Keep up the great work. You are an example to us all!!

31 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 17, 2010

Ange, I want to say congratulations again for making it so far. Even though you didn’t win, you are still one of my biggest sources of inspiration and I admire you for every single post you’ve written – both for PFB and outside of the competition. You are truly amazing!!! :)

32 Lisa December 17, 2010

I. AM. SOOOO. UPSET!!! i’ve been an OhSheGlows follower for nearly a year and your blog has truly changed my life in so many ways! I was so excited when you embarked on this journey and voted for you (numerous times!) every step of the way!! I wasn’t even being bias- your posts were consistently the best one in each category, especially in the 10th!!!! I thought that you FOR SURE were gonna win and the outcome truly saddens me :( You are such an inspiration to Vegans, Bloggers, and people who love to cook. I know God has bigger and better things in store for you, so that is what’s getting me though this shock, but ahkjshakjdsan i really thought you had it! :'(

33 Hawley December 17, 2010

Sorry you didn’t win- I was rooting for you!

One of my FAVORITE snacks in the world is hummus layered with salsa. It sounds odd, but it reminded me of this dip. In a shallow dish or bowl, layer hummus and a good quality salsa. It is so so so good.

34 Charlie December 17, 2010

That dip looks so good! Beautiful too ;).
Guacamole sounds especially good to me right now. Craving lots of avocado these days :).

35 Liz December 17, 2010

I’m so sorry that you didn’t win — especially after seeing your behind the scenes post and realizing how much hard work you put into it. You did a wonderful job and your posts were filled with beautiful photography. Congratulations for getting to the final rounds and for being so inspiring!

36 Leilani December 17, 2010

No matter what you are a superstar! You did an amazing job on all of your challenges! So in my book Angela, you are the winner! :) and 3rd place is quite an accomplishment! You should be so proud of yourself!

37 liane December 17, 2010

I wonder if mutiny would result if I swapped out my mom’s beloved seven layer mexican dip for this one at our upcoming family and friends dinner?! I mean, my mom’s only been making her dip for the last 15 years or so, and heaven forbid she not bring it to each and every gathering… Hmmmmm…..

38 Allison December 17, 2010

As a fellow vegan (and blogger and Foodbuzz-er) I’m very proud of how you represented us vegan-types in PFB2010. Seriously great job, girlie! :-)

Love your 7 layer dip idea! We have our “Traditional, Non-Traditional” Christmas dinner coming up and we’re going with a Mexican theme year. I’ll have to give this a try! Nothing says Happy Holidays like tacos and dip, right? Ok, and maybe a margarita!

39 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 17, 2010

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t win but you should be proud of your accomplishments! :)

40 Lauren at KeepItSweet December 17, 2010

somehow i don’t think my layered dip has ever looked that pretty

41 Sara December 17, 2010

Dang that does stink that you didn’t win, but the fact that you’re taking it so well just goes to show what an awesome person you are!! :D

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2010

Thanks everyone!

43 Dorry December 17, 2010

Seven layer dip is one of my favorite things! I haven’t made a vegan version since I’ve been dairy-free and I can’t wait to give this a whirl. Delish.

Congrats on making it so far in the contest. You had my vote with each challenge and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t bummed when I found out you didn’t win. Love your attitude and glad you got so much out of the challenge! :)

44 Lou December 17, 2010

Angela, I’m gutted for you. I agree with other commenters that it was clear that you were on a level above the others and about the cookery book and about the coming 2nd being something potential important for your future, it possibly sounds trite to say things happen for a reason, but… with you, I think you’re on a path, so, here’s to bigger and better.

big hugs, you’re amazing :)

45 carri z. December 17, 2010

maybe it’s pms – but i feel like crying!
you ROCKED IT, angela!
every single time.
congrats on ALL OF IT!!!

xoxox

46 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious December 17, 2010

Congrats on making it so far…you did an amazing job!! i was surprised to find out you didn’t win b/c you’ve won so many readers choice. you are a winner anyways. there is so much value in this entire experience as you said before. keep on doing what your doing b/c your doing it right!! this dip looks delcious. can’t wait to try it.

47 Lorin December 17, 2010

Aw, I am sorry you didn’t win but seriously everything you made looked delish! You went a lot farther than a lot of people so that is something to be proud! Enjoy your weekend off!

48 Heather December 17, 2010

so sorry you didnt win. you totally deserved to! I voted for you! I still admire you and think you did great!

49 Alison December 17, 2010

I agree with Candice. You really were a step above the rest in your pictures, presentation, and, above all, the quality of your writing. Your immediate response to the results shows how gracious of a person you are. And thanks for introducing me to the quote by Eleanor Roosevelt. I have to admit that I am waivering on backing down from something out of fear, and that quote has put a little fire in my spirit to keep on truckin’!

50 Moni'sMeals December 17, 2010

You won in my eyes!

Fantastic Recipe…WOW.

51 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 17, 2010

oh ange, so sorry you didn’t win. i loved each and every post you did and you definitely gave more than 110%. i love coming to your blog and seeing what you’ve come up with next.. and this recipe look fabulous! enjoy your weekend, take care of yourself you deserve it!!

52 Lizzie December 17, 2010

Oh yes!!!! This is exactly what my body has been craving the past couple of weeks – colour!! Warmth!! Taste!! I need to make this soon! By the way – while your recipes from the contest were just amazing, your attitude and grace surpass all that. Be. So. Proud.

And now you have permission to relax and enjoy your weekend! :)

53 KatieM~Run For The Bikini! December 17, 2010

Congrats on doing so well in the contest!

This dip looks amazing!!! Mexican food is my favorite and this looks like it would rock my world! Do you think it would stay good if you shipped it from Ontario to NY :D

54 Heather (Heather's Dish) December 17, 2010

i so wish you’d won, but i have to say that i am so impressed with the class you’re handling this with…your blog is fabulous, always has been, and i can’t wait to see what it turns into!

55 Meredith December 17, 2010

I love PW! I’ve often thought you two had similar writing styles/sense of humour. Definitely a compliment! — Yours and hers are two of my favourite blogs! Everything looks fabulous, and I think you did an outstanding job with all the recipe challenges!

56 Jennifer December 17, 2010

Great job on the food blog and my mouth is watering now. That 7 layer looks sooooo good. My kitchen is already a mess so I’ll have to leave it to another day.

57 Amy December 17, 2010

Clearly you got readers choice so many times for a reason! Good Job! You are truly amazing and should be totally proud of yourself! I for one appreciate all your hard work!
Thanks!

58 Sarah December 17, 2010

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t win- you did such a great job. But congratulations on a free weekend:-). And that dip? Oh, my goodness. I’m *this close* to drooling.

59 Katie December 17, 2010

Congrats on getting as far as you did! And for having a relaxing weekend before more holiday chaos!

60 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 17, 2010

Angela…I am so sorry you didn’t win. In all honesty, I thought you were a TOTAL shoe-in. Like, you had the sucker clinched, bagged, and wrapped up. I am so sorry..you must be feeling pretty crappy right now (your blog post is classy and awesome as usual!) but of course, in your heart, you’re probably a lil…meh. About it all. And then some. You have poured your HEART AND SOUL into this and it showed. I give you major props for the way you took this challenge on and to heart, and then some!

You are amazing!!!

And the dip. I love 7 layer dip…and this one, looks great, of course!

61 Sandy December 17, 2010

I don’t know how you didn’t win! Seems like something strange was going on.

62 Cara Craves... December 17, 2010

You’re still a winner in my mind!

63 Mastering Public Health (@MasPublicHealth) December 17, 2010

I completely agree with Averie. I was so disappointed that you didn’t win — thought you had it hook, line, and sinker and deserved it hands-down (all those “Readers’ Choice” nods)! I am so sorry you were “robbed” after all those hours of hard work. But you (and we) gained so much along the way. :)

64 Ali December 17, 2010

You most certainly are the reader’s choice, and in the grand scheme of things, the opinion of thousands of readers is a heck of a lot more important than a decision made by 3 people. Thanks for continually inspiring me to align my eating practices with my ethical beliefs AND to like myself! Aside from food, you bring a lot of other great things to the world on your corner of the blogosphere. Keep up the good work :-)

65 Jessica December 17, 2010

Congratulations on going so far in the competition! You are a fabulous blogger and I always love reading (and making!) your delicious recipes :)

And now I’m off to make that dip!

66 Shelby December 17, 2010

Congrats on being done!!! You did so well and you are truly amazing and an inspiration to me!!! Even though you didn’t “win” it doesn’t mean anything…it’s just a label and you truly did amazing and it’s all how you feel and how you take it and think about it….thats what matters! So I hope you realize just how awesome you are and how great of a job you did!!!!!

67 Bree December 17, 2010

Oh Ange I hope you’re doing ok. You put everything into that and I’m completely blown away that you didn’t win. You deserved it so much…I don’t get what happened. I’m not sure how they judged it – if it was just a count of votes or if the judges made the final call…but it just doesn’t seem right. Your blog just explodes with all the energy and enthusiasm you have and it seemed your were a shoe-in for sure (esp after the dinner party – I’m still reeling from that!). As many have said, this entry shows that you have so much integrity and compassion for your fellow competitors, which of course matters so much more than a contest in the long run. I just wish you could have won TOO lol. So glad you can relax and have some much deserved time to yourself. THANK YOU for putting on such a spectacular show of your talent for us all. It was FABULOUS and I can’t wait to see what 2011 brings for you. :-D

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2010

Thank you Bree!

The voting was 50% judges and 50% Foodbuzz featured publishers. For some reason they decided not to count public votes in this round.

69 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 17, 2010

I’m sorry you didn’t win! But it’s still awesome how much you’ve learned and accomplished through this contest! And it was so fun reading all about it for these past few months. :D

70 Valerie December 17, 2010

You did an amazing job :) Congratulations on making it to the final round… you deserve it! By the way, I listed your blog on my latest blog entry on must-read blogs. If you’re interested, go check it out!

Congrats once again!

71 Runeatrepeat December 17, 2010

Great job on project food blog!!! I know you put a ton of work into each and every post and I, along with tons of other readers, loved reading all your entries.

I made a 7 layer dip inspired meatless Mexican dish on Monday and could not for the life of me figure out 2 of the layers were. Ha!

72 bitt December 17, 2010

I’m disappointed you didn’t win of course but the fact you came so far is so impressive. Thanks for all the progress you made for vegan food along the way. SO appreciated!

The dip looks delicious! Kick back and relax now!

73 Savvy December 17, 2010

Sweetie I’m so sorry you didn’t win but you definitely deserved it!! You did such an amazing job, and following your posts were an enormous inspiration.
I’m thrilled to see that you’ve launched into your latest recipe post with something that looks as incredible as all of your food buzz entries – you’ve obviously taken so much away from your experience, and I can’t wait to read more!!

74 Chelsea December 17, 2010

Hey Ang, you did amazing those 3 months and you should be proud of yourself!

I just made this pico de gallo… omg it is so delicious!! Thank you for the recipe!

Have a good FREE weekend!

75 Annie@stronghealthyfit December 17, 2010

You did an amazing job with PFB! Congrats :-)

76 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 17, 2010

I love 7 layer dip! Yours looks fantastic and well worth the effort.

77 Imwaytoobusy December 17, 2010

What a refreshing approach to 7-layer dip. I would love a nice, big bowl of this! :)

78 CathyK December 17, 2010

enjoy your weekend, angela! you deserve a break!
congratulations on how far you travelled on your journey with this contest. it’s like you were in the food olympics, representing canada! and we are proud of you! :)

79 Amy December 17, 2010

Had to pick my chin up off the desk when the PFB winner was announced. Utter shock on my face I’m sure. You were consistent and strong throughout the entire thing. I don’t see how it could’ve ended any other way than you winning. Regardless, you are the class in classy and you will go far with your talent. And, by the way, that dip looks amazing! I would pay money for it! lol

80 Jami (Sensical Musings) December 17, 2010

I know we are basically strangers, but I feel like I know you after following your blog for the last year. Your blog was actually the first I ever read and I am now starting the journey of my own blog because of your inspiration. I felt proud to be an Oh She Glows reader each time you advanced and felt major nervous excitement for you all morning waiting for the results. All I can say is congratulations on all that you’ve accomplished during each challenge and I can’t wait to see whats next on the horizon for you.

81 Jamie December 17, 2010

I am so shocked that you didn’t win! You were definitely the best choice!!!
Whole Foods and Earth Balance are running a holiday cooking contest right now for cookies and cakes using Earth Balance. I think that would be an easy win for you and much less stressful :)

82 Damaris @Kitchen Corners December 17, 2010

Congratulations. I am neither vegan or a fitness addict. I’m a mom who loves to cook for her kids but doesn’t always make the healthiest things. I’m also from Brazil, I eat tons of meat. We have very little in common but I must say that I really enjoyed this post. You were so true to your blog and to your writing style throughout the entire competition. You should be proud of the community you’d built around yourself. You are very much loved.

83 Julia December 17, 2010

Great post and (not to sound like a stage mom) I’m really surprised you didn’t win! I think the way you vegan-ized traditional cuisine was completely inspiring and would have been a wonderful addition to the Food Buzz site. Plus, your food is beautiful but also accessible; healthy food that lots of people can learn to make. Ah well, no doubt a cookbook is in your future :)

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2010

your comments mean the WORLD to me…Thanks everyone xo

85 Jackie December 17, 2010

Bummed that you didn’t win, but you remain my long distance inspiration for cooking and eating well. Btw, I tried your Pumpkin Oatmeal cookie recipe (the modified Apricot Spelt cookie recipe) with YET another twist (this is now the 10th variation). Coconut-Almond-Macadamia nut (sans the cinammon, the cacao and the pumpkin). They are totally awesome. Also, tried your Chocolate Peppermint Vegan cookie for a cookie exchange party tomorrow. They came out GREAT! Everything you post is delicious and you are awesome!

86 Tania December 17, 2010

Omg I am shocked to say the least. A totally political move on the part of Foodbuzz. Had they counted the votes, I assure you, you would have won. This comes off as very suspicious.
Keep your head held high my friend, you are the PEOPLE’S next food blogger star!!! Only a fool would choose to ignore what the masses are saying.

You did an amazing job. Be proud of yourself. We all are!

87 Celeste December 18, 2010

I totally agree, Tania!! I’m, too ,shocked beyond disbelief. It’s like the readers votes, tweets and “likes” on Facebook didn’t even count!! Umm, why did they even have us tweet, etc. if they weren’t going to count the votes???? Totally bummed and disappointed in Foodbuzz.
Angela, I can only imagine how bummed & disappointed you must feel after pouring so much of yourself in this project . Yep, at least you know you ARE the people’s choice as winner!!

Totally amazing job overall! Congrats on that!

88 Sam December 18, 2010

This is my first time writing a comment on your blog. I’ve been following you all through the challenge and was 120% sure you were going to win. I even clicked in before 12 and got very excited for you but lo and behold, you didn’t. My chin dropped and I said “oh my goodness, they got it all wrong.” You keep doing your thing girl. Bigger and Better things are going to come your way. They did get it all wrong but you will reap the benefits soon–their loss :-)

89 Roz December 18, 2010

I am sad that you didn’t win, but finishing top 3 is HUGE!!!! I hope you feel good about it, and are proud of your fantastic accomplishment!!!!

90 Emily December 18, 2010

Just wanted to say how much I’ve enjoyed reading your blog. I’ve loved all the beatiful photography throughout the challenge. And I love how accessible you make vegan food. I’m not even vegetarian, but I love that if I needed a recipe to veganize – you would have it.

Keep up the good work. And if I ever come up to the Toronto-way (I’m in Syracuse, NY), I will try to find you to give you a hug. Consider yourself forwarned. Actually, I’m not a crazy stalker lady. Just play one on blog comments.

91 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 18, 2010

Congrats to you!

The dip is so pretty! It would be a great item to take to a holiday party!

92 Marina December 18, 2010

Congrats on being the top 3! I was a bit sad you didn’t win, but this is a huge accomplishment as well!!
Love your recipes and your posts :)

93 Wei-Wei December 18, 2010

I’m sad you didn’t win, but on the plus side, I visited Tiny Urban Kitchen for the first time (yeah, her blog doesn’t work in China…) and I found a great new blog to read. I think that these connections are very important and because of this challenge, we ALL got to know new people! You still were part of the top 3 though, and that was an amazing feat. :]

94 Steph December 18, 2010

I think you should have won. Your entry was amazing!!!

95 ruba December 18, 2010

I was disappointed to say the least :) but I am happy this competition introduced to your wonderful blog!!! truly inspired by your authentic and true glow, congratulations for finishing in the top three, I am sure you are number one for at least one great supporter who keeps appearing with you every now and then in posts :)))

96 Emily December 18, 2010

Great job with everything, you never cease to impress me and I’m sorry you didn’t win. Your photography, writing, and creativity will always have me visiting ohsheglows though!

97 Kelly December 18, 2010

Yes, I completely agree with the many other posters who said we wish you won and think you should’ve. But I think that’s okay because like you said, you learned a lot and now its all over and you have some free time on your hands!

98 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete December 18, 2010

Angela I am sorry to hear you didn’t win — but I am so glad you are being so gracious about it. You are setting a good example :)

I love layered dips like this — where each bite you get a little more.

99 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) December 18, 2010

Sorry you didn’t win but congrats on all your hard work! You did well and I have enjoyed keeping up with PFB :) Now looking at this dip I am already hungry for at 10:45 a.m :)

100 Krystina (Basil & Wine) December 18, 2010

Even though you didn’t win, I can tell through your posts that you have learned A LOT and have grown so much as a blogger and baker. You’re amazing! :)

101 Camille December 18, 2010

I’m going to be honest: I was surprised you didn’t win!
No matter what, you did an incredible job!

102 Pachecopatty December 18, 2010

Hi Angela, I’m sure that like many people I learned about you you through the FB blogging challenge. I thought who is this pretty girl who glows and is so popular?? So I checked out your blog and thought wow, she really has something special going on here and I would like to comment on that. First off it is obvious that your are tremendously creative and not afraid to put the hard work in to achieve the results that you desire in everything you post on your blog. You are down to earth, approachable and I think that you honestly possess the complete package to sweep your readers off their feet and INSPIRE them all day long. I think you are with out a doubt the people’s choice and I for one am looking forward to everything you do here. Best Wishes and keep up this wonderful blog:-)

103 courtney December 18, 2010

So sorry to hear you didn’t win, you did such a fabulous job throughout the whole contest (as is standard on your blog in general!). I enjoyed reading all about it and cannot wait to see what 2011 has in store for you! Congratulations on making it to the final 3 :)

104 kell December 18, 2010

WHAT!! you didnt win??? . . . what a crock! (woops, is it bad to just blurt out what i really feel ;)
nevertheless you excelled at each and every challenge and gave us an over the top quality blog during the process- i cant wait to see what you do next!! happy holidays!!

105 Mary Ann December 18, 2010

I am disappointed that you didn’t win. You have my confirmation that your entries were innovative (without being intimidating), delicious and pretty to look at. I enjoy your approach to food and have tried several of your recipes with great success. Your “Holiday soup for the soul” is our current favorite, even for a husband who claims to not like curry. You have found one of your callings in life (being Eric’s wife is another and who knows about children someday). I look forward to many more wonderful blogs from you.

106 Kelsey H December 18, 2010

angela, i was literally stalking the website to find out who won yesterday (even seeing how many people tweeted/facebooked the entries…..you were far above the rest!) and i was so bummed to find out you didn’t win. i mean…..i have so many things that i could say about how you far above the other bloggers you performed but i won’t because you have momentarily distracted me from my childish emotions with the 7 layer dip:) the reason i was even into the contest was all because of you! and i feel so blessed/undeserving that all those recipes you created are permanently in cyberspace. have a happy holiday and get some rest because YOU DESERVE IT!

107 Kelsey H December 18, 2010

alsooo… I really like Pachecopatty’s first impression because that pretty much says it all haha:
“I thought who is this pretty girl who glows and is so popular??”

108 Amber K December 18, 2010

I’m truly shocked. How can you win reader’s choice 5 out of 9 times and then NOT win? Insanity! But congratulations on making it so far!

109 Gloria December 18, 2010

I’m so sad and surprised to hear you didn’t win :( You’re still a winner in my book though! You inspire me, and I thank you for that. I own a ton of cook books, but I always end up trying your recipes instead. Those books are probably covered in dust right now haha This weekend, I plan on making nanaimo bars and peppermint nog mmmm

110 Sonia December 18, 2010

Awwww. So sad you didn’t win! But it must have been an amazing, and stressfully fun, experience. I’m so glad you made it to the final 3 though. All the recipes that you made for us are simply amazing and my family loves them. Thank you so much for the inspiring entries. Lots of love to you!!

111 Catherine December 18, 2010

Angela, I am so surprised and bummed that you didn’t win. I thought you had it in the bag! Congratulations on going so far in the challenge. Your posts were amazing, and made me love your blog even more. You have created a dedicated OSG fan in this girl. I hope you are proud of yourself!

112 Tamara December 18, 2010

Pico with Avocado is amazing. Try it with shredded green cabbage and very salty corn chips- it brings it to a whole new level for me.

113 Sarah December 19, 2010

I just got a bit rush of love for you! Your recipes are some of the few that i ACTUALLY want to try out, and i know i am one of many! Thankyou so much for gracing the internet with your presence, your effort and i know we all appreciate the mess that your kitchen sees; all for the sake of providing us readers with new and exciting culinary adventures.

Big virtual hug.

Thanks! Sarah x

114 Eira December 19, 2010

I really can’t understand how you didn’t win, but nevertheless, a big congrats :) Your site keeps getting better and better :)

115 David December 19, 2010

very tasty!!

116 Violetta Maria December 19, 2010

OMG I am just blown away that you did not win, I read some of the other blogs and none of them are as witty, charming, funny, or yummy as yours. You did amazing and I will always support you in any new projects you take on.

117 Katie December 19, 2010

Angela! You are a WINNER to me! Your entries were all AMAZING and first place to me! I am not worried about you not going far and have amazing things to come, because you will and you deserve it all! Heres to 2011!!! I know it will be amazing for OSG!!!!!!

118 Liana @ femme fraiche December 19, 2010

I love how creative you are…one simple recipe and look at all the tasty stuff you come up with!!

119 Roxane December 20, 2010

Angela,
It sure sucks you didn’t win the challenge but to us all… YOU are a winner!!

120 k8 December 20, 2010

Oh! Oh! Oh! This spicy bowl is just what I’ve been thinking about as the snow has fallen. I’m totally going to make it next weekend for the after-Christmas- I-ate-too-much freshness!

And I was looking at your vegan cheese sauce recipe last night for something else and wondering…when you make it just for the sauce, do you put in the potatoes and carrots? I was kind of thinking of leaving them out…

121 Brittney December 20, 2010

Ah, that dip looks SO GOOD! Great job in Project Food Blog! I voted for your entries over and over because they were so awesome! Great recipes, gorgeous pictures, and so much heart! I’m glad the contest gave you a chance to have new people exposed to your blog.

122 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble December 20, 2010

You’ve done an awesome job with the challenge!

The 7 layer dip looks oh so amazing!!! I hope it was a delicious as it looks!!!

123 Michele April 17, 2013

This dip looks amazing! I saw it on pinterest and repinned it. What type of chips did you use? They look good too! I will me making it this weekend for a party.

124 Amy Dougherty January 30, 2014

Did your cheese sauce include the boiled potato, carrot and onion? I’m thinking this is a great super bowl dish! Thank you!! Love your blog!! cheers!!