Protein Power Goddess Bowl

IMG 5421 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Thank you all so much for your votes in Project Food Blog! I am thrilled to say that I got into the final three for the 10th round due tomorrow. I appreciate your tweets, comments, and emails yesterday!

It doesn’t look like I will be getting much sleep this weekend… ;) I am a big ball of nerves and excitement right now and I was up until 3am last night working on my post. There isn’t much time to finish it, but at the same time, I am glad it is due tomorrow and doesn’t drag out another week.

I have been using my treadmill as a stress relief lately, pounding out a few miles whenever I need to clear my head. I actually think of most of my Project Food Blog ideas when I am running and I often jump off to write things down as I think of them. I am always amazed at the ability that running has to help me think and get my creative juices flowing.

OSGMOM gave me a new Ipod Shuffle for Christmas and it has been fun having music again after 3 months without any.

Here is the current running music I am loving (Eric made it for me!):

music thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

I have been running about 4-6 miles on the treadmill about 5 days a week and the music has helped so much with indoor boredom! I’m going to be changing up my exercise for the winter months and I will be telling you about that in the next week or so. :)

Also note, I am obsessed with the song ‘Little Lion Man’…fantastic running song!

Of course, after a tough run on the treadmill I am always looking for a delicious dose of food to restore my energy levels and leave me feeling amazing.

IMG 5441 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Rock your inner goddess with this incredibly delicious, creamy, and tangy high-protein vegetable bowl. It fills me up for hours and takes away all my cravings.

Adapted from The Coup Cookbook’s Greek Goddess.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups uncooked brown rice (or however much you want to make)
  • 1.5-2 cups uncooked lentils (you need 4 cups cooked lentils)
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
  • 1 red/yellow/orange pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1 cup Tahini lemon garlic dressing
  • 8-10 sundried tomatoes, sliced (optional)
  • 2 large handfuls of mixed greens (or spinach)
  • 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
  • Lemon wedges and olives, for garnish (optional)
  • Kosher salt and pepper, to taste (I think I used about 1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt in the sauté)
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil for sautéing

Directions: Cook lentils and rice according to package directions, rinse with cold water, strain, and set aside. In a large skillet, add in the oil and heat to low-medium temperature. Now add in the onion, garlic, red pepper, salt, pepper, and optional sundried tomatoes. Sauté for about 5 minutes over low-medium heat. Now add in the cooked, drained, and rinsed 4 cups of lentils and stir well. Cook for another few minutes. Add in 1 cup of tahini lemon garlic dressing and stir well. Cook until it starts to bubble and then remove from heat. Add in 2 large handfuls of greens and parsley and stir well again. Portion cooked brown rice into the bowl(s) and then scoop the sauté lentil mixture overtop of the rice. Garnish with olives and a lemon wedge if preferred. Makes about 6 large portions.

The first thing we do is cook the lentils and brown rice. If you want to save time, you can cook them the night beforehand and just place in the fridge overnight.

IMG 52602 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

IMG 5420 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Rinse and set aside.

IMG 5365 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Now gather up your veggies!

IMG 5343 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Chop, chop!

IMG 5340 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Add the tomato, garlic, optional sundried tomatoes, salt, pepper, and onion into the skillet:

IMG 5359 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Mix well and cook for 5 minutes on med-low heat.

Now stir in the cooked, rinsed, and drained 4 cups lentils (you will have some leftover cooked lentils)

IMG 5368 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Cook for a few minutes and then add in the delicious dressing!

IMG 5410 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

I loooooove this dressing. Lock me up and throw away the key.

Bring it to a low bubble and then remove from heat. Stir in 2 huge handful of mixed greens (or greens of your choice!) and the parsley. I added my parsley in early on, but you can add it whenever you wish.

IMG 5412 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Mix well.

IMG 5414 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Serve over a bed of brown rice and rock your inner Goddess!

IMG 5476 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

You can also mix in the brown rice right into the skillet. Your call. Have fun experimenting with different kinds of vegetables and grains too! :)

IMG 5496 thumb   Protein Power Goddess Bowl

This Goddess bowl is creamy, a bit tangy, filled with healthy vegetables, and packed with protein. It feels decadent without weighing me down. I have been eating it all week long and it leaves me feeling energized and full for hours.

I hope you enjoy it too!

On that note, I have some Challenge #10 madness to tend to. See you tomorrow… :)

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) December 11, 2010

Congratulations on making it to the finals! I can’t wait to see what you come up with. :D

(oh and that bowl o’ goodness looks incredible!)

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut December 11, 2010

I LOOOOVE Little Lion Man, actually any Mumford and Sons song! I always have them on my running play list!

Moni'sMeals December 11, 2010

Congrats! GO ANGELA!!

I love the looks of this salad- The name is fantastic as well. ;)

Don’t work too hard. :)

Lizzie December 11, 2010

I use your blog all of the time for cooking and fitness inspiration. I JUST discovered Mumford and Sons earlier this week and love them so much I went out and bought their cd…. the first cd I’ve bought in about a decade! What a coincidence to see you raving about them on here.

I am making lentil soup today and was wondering what to do with the rest of the lentils. Now I have something to use them for :)

Steph December 11, 2010

I love Little Lion Man too for running, the beat is perfect! Dinner looks very yummy! Good luck with PFB!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 11, 2010

Congrats, Angela! You totally deserve it. It is obvious you’ve put your heart and soul into each entry.

I love Little Lion Man too. They have a new single out now that I like as well. Can’t remember the name of it though.

Healthy Chocoholic December 11, 2010

Huh. I’ve never had rice for breakfast, but that looks really good!!!!
Congrats on making it to the next round!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 11, 2010

haha it’s a dinner/lunch dish (but I guess it could be breakfast too!)

Roz December 11, 2010

That is SOOOO awesome that you are in the final three!!!!! Congrats! (and not surprised, you deserve to be there) Can’t wait to see your post!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 11, 2010

Congrats on being in the final 3 Ange!

Christie @ Honoring Health December 11, 2010

Congratulations on making it to the final 3! Good luck, I can’t wait to see your post!

schmei December 11, 2010

I’m so glad you made it to the final three! Congratulations and good luck with the final challenge – aren’t you glad this is almost over?

Annie December 11, 2010

Congrats Angela! You’ve done such an amazing job and all of your hard work has paid off. Hope you come out on top (I’m sure you will)! I love Mumford & Sons too. Just bought my husband their album for Christmas. Have a great day and remember to take a moment for yourself if you start feeling stressed.

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 11, 2010

Congratulations on making it to the finals!!!!!!! :)

I love your playlist…I may have to download some of those songs for mine. ;)

Bronwyn Coyne December 11, 2010

I’m pretty much obsessed with the song Grenade right now, it’s definitely in my gym medley.

Congrats on going forward! I can’t wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

Dariana December 11, 2010

YAYAYAYAY!!!! Congrats!!! You absolutely deserve to have made it this far and I know all of your fans and supporters will take you to the number 1 spot! You can totally win!!! :) very excited for you and I cant wait till I see the post! Congrats again! Btw, this looks suuuuper yummy!!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete December 11, 2010

Congrats on making it to round 10! I sometimes have “epiphanies” at the strangest times — when I’m working out or when I’m in the shower. My head is clear and I’m able to focus!

This bowl looks delicious — lately I have been craving veggies like nothing else — those red peppers look so good!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 11, 2010

WAHOOO top 3!!! No surprise there though!!!:) You’ll do awesome, cant’ wait to see you rock out the #1!!!!

Katie December 11, 2010

Congrats on the finals! Even if you don’t end up winning (though I don’t see how, since *everything* I try from your site is totes awesomesauce!), I know that I am impressed with how quickly you are able to develop new recipes and your photography is always beautiful! The salad looks to die for. I think I’ll be making it for dinner tomorrow, as the weather here continues its schizophrenic trend and climbs back into the high 60s so we will probably want something a bit lighter than the stews and such that I have been craving lately. *sigh* I’m ready for real autumn!

Lauren December 11, 2010

Congrats! That mix of veggies, rice, and lentils looks so tasty!

Lisa December 11, 2010

Yay! Congrats! Protein bowl looks so delicious and filling as always! =)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 11, 2010

i love your goddess bowl of plant based yumminess!

and also lovin’ the playlist! I posted a playlist of mine for the first time ever, about a week ago. It was fun b/c I had all these readers that thought I was only a yoga-music serene girl and they were shocked to see everything from Katy Perry to Mickey Avalon to other current club hits. I love your list! And I can totally see you groovin to Gnarls Barkley and Flo Rida!

Embrace your inner groove child :)

Have a great weekend, Angela!

Lisa December 11, 2010

This recipe looks delicious…definitely going to have to make it. I’ve been following your blog for a long time and I just wanted to say, congratulations on being in the final 3! You, more than anyone, deserve to win this! Have a great day :)

Stefanie December 11, 2010

Congratulations on moving to the final round of the competition. I’m looking forward to another great post. The Goddess Bowl looks delish. It looks like it would work well in a crock pot too. :)

Camille December 11, 2010

Good call on “Little Lion Man” and “Grenade”. Those are 2 of my favorites :)
Good luck! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!

Faith @ lovelyascharged December 11, 2010

Wohoo, congratulations! I’m so excited for you!

The bowl looks awesome – I really love one-dish meals where you get all the macronutrients in one food item. I try to make one meal like this on the weekends so I have it for a “just in case” during the week as an option instead of the drive-thru.

Wei-Wei December 11, 2010

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING IT! This is so awesomeeeee!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 11, 2010

Congrats and best of luck! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 11, 2010

I love running to anything Mumford and Sons. I can’t get enough of them and the Avett Brothers right now.

I’m trying that dressing tonight – can’t wait!!

Marta December 11, 2010

congrats!
MUMFORD! I have to freak out a little. So in love with this band, they just played an incredible concert in TO that sold out before we could get tix :( there are some wicked videos on youtube of the show breaks my heart a little watching them wishing I was jumping up and down in the audience with everyone.
good luck tomorrow!!

Embodying Freedom December 11, 2010

Congratulations! Also, I’m so impressed by how you can just casually run 4-6 miles haha. I’m gonna have to check out some of that music–I’m always on the lookout for new artists!

Little Bookworm December 11, 2010

Congratulations on making it to the final round! :D

Lisa December 11, 2010

Wow– this bowl looks delicious! How many servings does this make?

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 11, 2010

Congrats on making it through! I knew you would! :D And I can’t wait to see your next entry!!
Love the playlist and the recipe :)

Marie December 11, 2010

Congrats Angela! I am so excited to see you make it this far and am so hoping you win. You completely deserve it and I’ve loved all of your entries.

Jessica December 11, 2010

CONGRATS Angela!! Hoping that you win, loving all your entries!!

Amber K December 11, 2010

I’m so excited that you moved on!!

The bowl looks absolutely delicious. Quinoa would make a fun addition as well! Yummy.

Rachel@closertome.net December 11, 2010

Congrats Angela!
I actually took this time to fill out my info. so I could vote for you last round. I know, I know, I should have done it every round but I have complete faith in you. Final three is a huge honour, you’ve done awesome and I’m confident you have this whole thing won!

Congrats again, can’t wait to hear the results from the final challenge!

Dee December 11, 2010

Oh my gosh! This looks amazing!

Rose December 11, 2010

I *”love* “Little Lion Man.” It sounds like some old Irish folk song.

Danielle December 11, 2010

Love the running playlist! I have a lot of the same songs on mine!

Page 1 of 3123»