Protein Power Goddess Bowl

IMG_5421

Thank you all so much for your votes in Project Food Blog! I am thrilled to say that I got into the final three for the 10th round due tomorrow. I appreciate your tweets, comments, and emails yesterday!

It doesn’t look like I will be getting much sleep this weekend… ;) I am a big ball of nerves and excitement right now and I was up until 3am last night working on my post. There isn’t much time to finish it, but at the same time, I am glad it is due tomorrow and doesn’t drag out another week.

I have been using my treadmill as a stress relief lately, pounding out a few miles whenever I need to clear my head. I actually think of most of my Project Food Blog ideas when I am running and I often jump off to write things down as I think of them. I am always amazed at the ability that running has to help me think and get my creative juices flowing.

OSGMOM gave me a new Ipod Shuffle for Christmas and it has been fun having music again after 3 months without any.

Here is the current running music I am loving (Eric made it for me!):

music

I have been running about 4-6 miles on the treadmill about 5 days a week and the music has helped so much with indoor boredom! I’m going to be changing up my exercise for the winter months and I will be telling you about that in the next week or so. :)

Also note, I am obsessed with the song ‘Little Lion Man’…fantastic running song!

Of course, after a tough run on the treadmill I am always looking for a delicious dose of food to restore my energy levels and leave me feeling amazing.

IMG_5441

Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Rock your inner goddess with this incredibly delicious, creamy, and tangy high-protein vegetable bowl. It fills me up for hours and takes away all my cravings.

Adapted from The Coup Cookbook’s Greek Goddess.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups uncooked brown rice (or however much you want to make)
  • 1.5-2 cups uncooked lentils (you need 4 cups cooked lentils)
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
  • 1 red/yellow/orange pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1 cup Tahini lemon garlic dressing
  • 8-10 sundried tomatoes, sliced (optional)
  • 2 large handfuls of mixed greens (or spinach)
  • 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
  • Lemon wedges and olives, for garnish (optional)
  • Kosher salt and pepper, to taste (I think I used about 1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt in the sauté)
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil for sautéing

Directions: Cook lentils and rice according to package directions, rinse with cold water, strain, and set aside. In a large skillet, add in the oil and heat to low-medium temperature. Now add in the onion, garlic, red pepper, salt, pepper, and optional sundried tomatoes. Sauté for about 5 minutes over low-medium heat. Now add in the cooked, drained, and rinsed 4 cups of lentils and stir well. Cook for another few minutes. Add in 1 cup of tahini lemon garlic dressing and stir well. Cook until it starts to bubble and then remove from heat. Add in 2 large handfuls of greens and parsley and stir well again. Portion cooked brown rice into the bowl(s) and then scoop the sauté lentil mixture overtop of the rice. Garnish with olives and a lemon wedge if preferred. Makes about 6 large portions.

The first thing we do is cook the lentils and brown rice. If you want to save time, you can cook them the night beforehand and just place in the fridge overnight.

IMG_5260-2

IMG_5420

Rinse and set aside.

IMG_5365

Now gather up your veggies!

IMG_5343

Chop, chop!

IMG_5340

Add the tomato, garlic, optional sundried tomatoes, salt, pepper, and onion into the skillet:

IMG_5359

Mix well and cook for 5 minutes on med-low heat.

Now stir in the cooked, rinsed, and drained 4 cups lentils (you will have some leftover cooked lentils)

IMG_5368

Cook for a few minutes and then add in the delicious dressing!

IMG_5410

I loooooove this dressing. Lock me up and throw away the key.

Bring it to a low bubble and then remove from heat. Stir in 2 huge handful of mixed greens (or greens of your choice!) and the parsley. I added my parsley in early on, but you can add it whenever you wish.

IMG_5412

Mix well.

IMG_5414

Serve over a bed of brown rice and rock your inner Goddess!

IMG_5476

You can also mix in the brown rice right into the skillet. Your call. Have fun experimenting with different kinds of vegetables and grains too! :)

IMG_5496

This Goddess bowl is creamy, a bit tangy, filled with healthy vegetables, and packed with protein. It feels decadent without weighing me down. I have been eating it all week long and it leaves me feeling energized and full for hours.

I hope you enjoy it too!

On that note, I have some Challenge #10 madness to tend to. See you tomorrow… :)

1 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) December 11, 2010

Congratulations on making it to the finals! I can’t wait to see what you come up with. :D

(oh and that bowl o’ goodness looks incredible!)

2 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut December 11, 2010

I LOOOOVE Little Lion Man, actually any Mumford and Sons song! I always have them on my running play list!

3 Moni'sMeals December 11, 2010

Congrats! GO ANGELA!!

I love the looks of this salad- The name is fantastic as well. ;)

Don’t work too hard. :)

4 Lizzie December 11, 2010

I use your blog all of the time for cooking and fitness inspiration. I JUST discovered Mumford and Sons earlier this week and love them so much I went out and bought their cd…. the first cd I’ve bought in about a decade! What a coincidence to see you raving about them on here.

I am making lentil soup today and was wondering what to do with the rest of the lentils. Now I have something to use them for :)

5 Steph December 11, 2010

I love Little Lion Man too for running, the beat is perfect! Dinner looks very yummy! Good luck with PFB!

6 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 11, 2010

Congrats, Angela! You totally deserve it. It is obvious you’ve put your heart and soul into each entry.

I love Little Lion Man too. They have a new single out now that I like as well. Can’t remember the name of it though.

7 Healthy Chocoholic December 11, 2010

Huh. I’ve never had rice for breakfast, but that looks really good!!!!
Congrats on making it to the next round!!!!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 11, 2010

haha it’s a dinner/lunch dish (but I guess it could be breakfast too!)

9 Roz December 11, 2010

That is SOOOO awesome that you are in the final three!!!!! Congrats! (and not surprised, you deserve to be there) Can’t wait to see your post!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

10 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 11, 2010

Congrats on being in the final 3 Ange!

11 Christie @ Honoring Health December 11, 2010

Congratulations on making it to the final 3! Good luck, I can’t wait to see your post!

12 schmei December 11, 2010

I’m so glad you made it to the final three! Congratulations and good luck with the final challenge – aren’t you glad this is almost over?

13 Annie December 11, 2010

Congrats Angela! You’ve done such an amazing job and all of your hard work has paid off. Hope you come out on top (I’m sure you will)! I love Mumford & Sons too. Just bought my husband their album for Christmas. Have a great day and remember to take a moment for yourself if you start feeling stressed.

14 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 11, 2010

Congratulations on making it to the finals!!!!!!! :)

I love your playlist…I may have to download some of those songs for mine. ;)

15 Bronwyn Coyne December 11, 2010

I’m pretty much obsessed with the song Grenade right now, it’s definitely in my gym medley.

Congrats on going forward! I can’t wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

16 Dariana December 11, 2010

YAYAYAYAY!!!! Congrats!!! You absolutely deserve to have made it this far and I know all of your fans and supporters will take you to the number 1 spot! You can totally win!!! :) very excited for you and I cant wait till I see the post! Congrats again! Btw, this looks suuuuper yummy!!

17 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete December 11, 2010

Congrats on making it to round 10! I sometimes have “epiphanies” at the strangest times — when I’m working out or when I’m in the shower. My head is clear and I’m able to focus!

This bowl looks delicious — lately I have been craving veggies like nothing else — those red peppers look so good!

18 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 11, 2010

WAHOOO top 3!!! No surprise there though!!!:) You’ll do awesome, cant’ wait to see you rock out the #1!!!!

19 Katie December 11, 2010

Congrats on the finals! Even if you don’t end up winning (though I don’t see how, since *everything* I try from your site is totes awesomesauce!), I know that I am impressed with how quickly you are able to develop new recipes and your photography is always beautiful! The salad looks to die for. I think I’ll be making it for dinner tomorrow, as the weather here continues its schizophrenic trend and climbs back into the high 60s so we will probably want something a bit lighter than the stews and such that I have been craving lately. *sigh* I’m ready for real autumn!

20 Lauren December 11, 2010

Congrats! That mix of veggies, rice, and lentils looks so tasty!

21 Lisa December 11, 2010

Yay! Congrats! Protein bowl looks so delicious and filling as always! =)

22 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 11, 2010

i love your goddess bowl of plant based yumminess!

and also lovin’ the playlist! I posted a playlist of mine for the first time ever, about a week ago. It was fun b/c I had all these readers that thought I was only a yoga-music serene girl and they were shocked to see everything from Katy Perry to Mickey Avalon to other current club hits. I love your list! And I can totally see you groovin to Gnarls Barkley and Flo Rida!

Embrace your inner groove child :)

Have a great weekend, Angela!

23 Lisa December 11, 2010

This recipe looks delicious…definitely going to have to make it. I’ve been following your blog for a long time and I just wanted to say, congratulations on being in the final 3! You, more than anyone, deserve to win this! Have a great day :)

24 Stefanie December 11, 2010

Congratulations on moving to the final round of the competition. I’m looking forward to another great post. The Goddess Bowl looks delish. It looks like it would work well in a crock pot too. :)

25 Camille December 11, 2010

Good call on “Little Lion Man” and “Grenade”. Those are 2 of my favorites :)
Good luck! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!

26 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 11, 2010

Wohoo, congratulations! I’m so excited for you!

The bowl looks awesome – I really love one-dish meals where you get all the macronutrients in one food item. I try to make one meal like this on the weekends so I have it for a “just in case” during the week as an option instead of the drive-thru.

27 Wei-Wei December 11, 2010

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING IT! This is so awesomeeeee!

28 Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 11, 2010

Congrats and best of luck! :)

29 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 11, 2010

I love running to anything Mumford and Sons. I can’t get enough of them and the Avett Brothers right now.

I’m trying that dressing tonight – can’t wait!!

30 Marta December 11, 2010

congrats!
MUMFORD! I have to freak out a little. So in love with this band, they just played an incredible concert in TO that sold out before we could get tix :( there are some wicked videos on youtube of the show breaks my heart a little watching them wishing I was jumping up and down in the audience with everyone.
good luck tomorrow!!

31 Embodying Freedom December 11, 2010

Congratulations! Also, I’m so impressed by how you can just casually run 4-6 miles haha. I’m gonna have to check out some of that music–I’m always on the lookout for new artists!

32 Little Bookworm December 11, 2010

Congratulations on making it to the final round! :D

33 Lisa December 11, 2010

Wow– this bowl looks delicious! How many servings does this make?

34 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 11, 2010

Congrats on making it through! I knew you would! :D And I can’t wait to see your next entry!!
Love the playlist and the recipe :)

35 Marie December 11, 2010

Congrats Angela! I am so excited to see you make it this far and am so hoping you win. You completely deserve it and I’ve loved all of your entries.

36 Jessica December 11, 2010

CONGRATS Angela!! Hoping that you win, loving all your entries!!

37 Amber K December 11, 2010

I’m so excited that you moved on!!

The bowl looks absolutely delicious. Quinoa would make a fun addition as well! Yummy.

38 Rachel@closertome.net December 11, 2010

Congrats Angela!
I actually took this time to fill out my info. so I could vote for you last round. I know, I know, I should have done it every round but I have complete faith in you. Final three is a huge honour, you’ve done awesome and I’m confident you have this whole thing won!

Congrats again, can’t wait to hear the results from the final challenge!

39 Dee December 11, 2010

Oh my gosh! This looks amazing!

40 Rose December 11, 2010

I *”love* “Little Lion Man.” It sounds like some old Irish folk song.

41 Danielle December 11, 2010

Love the running playlist! I have a lot of the same songs on mine!

42 Amie White December 11, 2010

I have a story similar to yours. I can relate to feeling like life is a quest to capture the “glow” we crave. I am so grateful for you blog and incites.
I heard a song today that put it all in perspective for me and I thought of you. I hope you like it.
Merry Christmas!

43 grocery goddess jen December 11, 2010

Looks delicious! Congrats again on making it to the final three :)

44 Nico December 11, 2010

wow, congratulations on making it to the final three! and this dish looks so good! I just bought tahini for the first time in awhile, so I’m going to have add this to my list of tahini dishes I need to make!

45 Nico December 11, 2010

46 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 11, 2010

Congrats on making it to the finals! That bowl of goodness looks like something I would LOVE. Tahini is one of my favorite flavors. Yum.

47 Amanda December 11, 2010

You can do it Ange! You’ve come so far!!!!

48 JL goes Vegan December 11, 2010

This salad screams everything that I love! I can’t wait to make it!

49 laura December 11, 2010

You completely deserve to be in the top 3, great job!
salad looks so tasty.

50 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 11, 2010

Congratulations on making it to the final three! I’m so excited for you!

51 Allie (Nutty FlexitALLIEan) December 11, 2010

Little Lion Man is the best song! That looks like an awesome playlist- I’m starting to think about asking Santa for a new iPod..

52 Paige @Running Around Normal December 11, 2010

Congratulations!!! SO rooting for you :D :D

53 carol December 11, 2010

congratulations! The salad looks soooo yummy. I can’t wait to try it.

54 Christena December 11, 2010

I LOVE Little Lion Man also!

Girl, you need to win this Food Blog competition!! You deserve it! I am pulling for you. Congrats on making it this far!

55 Heather (Heather's Dish) December 11, 2010

this sounds perfect for lunch…i’m totally stealing it since i get the afternoon munchies about an hour before dinner!

56 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 11, 2010

Congrats on making it to the next round! Not that I had any doubts. ;)

I like to make a quick dinner that’s sort of similar to that protein bowl – I just mix a bunch of sauteed veggies with beans, hummus + lemon juice, and brown rice. It’s so delicious!

57 Shay December 11, 2010

This is slightly off topic, but your photos are always gorgeous. Although I know that this is mainly due to your unprecedented photography talents, but I am wondering what camera you use.
Many thanks!
Shay

58 stacey-healthylife December 11, 2010

Best of luck. I;m really hopping you win.

59 Beth December 11, 2010

I showed the goddess bowl to my vegan kid and she asked if I would make it for dinner tonight. So I did. It’s amazing! We all loved it, even the meat-eaters.

So happy you made it to the final 3! Good luck with the entry tomorrow. I’d love to see you win!

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2010

yay that is great!

61 kelli December 11, 2010

I can’t find the print button. I need the recipe!
Thanks.
Get some sleep!

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2010

oops I think I forgot it!!! I have to manually put it in each time…i’ll check it out now and add it if I did not.

63 Cara Craves... December 11, 2010

That salad looks like a powerhouse!
Stay strong Angela. I am looking forward
to seeing your last entry. You have come so far already,
you should be very proud of that.

64 Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee December 11, 2010

Congrats!!! Can’t wait to try this recipe.

65 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious December 11, 2010

Congrats on making it to the final round! i have a good feeling you will win. good luck! looking forward to your post tomorrow.

66 Emily December 11, 2010

The salad looks so good. I have been really wanting to try lentils as a vegetarian protein but never know how to cook them/what to do with them; this looks like a good one! I looove that Little Lion Man song, too! SO good :)

67 Amalfi Girl December 11, 2010

Love love LOVE your running playlist! I hope you keep posting them, they are great for ideas for runs. I love making interval playlists so that I never have to look at the time–I just know it’s time to switch it up when the song changes! :)

XO,

Amalfi

P.S. “Like a G6” is definitely getting on the playlist for my next run.

68 Jade December 11, 2010

Congrats Angela! I made this for supper tonight and it was sooo good! I used a packet of Kashi grains instead of rice, but I think rice would have been better, or maybe quinoa. That tahini dressing was the bomb! I even blogged about it.

Also, I just discovered Mumford and Sons a couple of weeks ago. They are so great! Little Lion Man is one of my faves :)

Thank you!

69 Ali December 11, 2010

Thank you times 10 for the new running song suggestions – I was dying for some!

70 Alaina December 11, 2010

Congratulations on making it to the top 3!! I have a feeling you’ll walk away the winner. :-)

71 Emily December 11, 2010

Congratulations on advancing, I’m so excited for your next project food blog post! :)

72 Bec December 12, 2010

Congratulations on reaching the final three! You are a very deserving contestant with all of the effort you have put forth. Looking forward to tomorrows post. Best of luck!

73 Kayleigh December 12, 2010

You are such a fantastic blogger. You put so much of yourself into all of your posts, and it is truly evident. I hope you realize how much people appreciate what you do, and how many of their lives you have changed, including mine! You are such an inspirational and wonderful woman -and although I am a lurker, I read your blog everyday and am grateful that I have gotten to know you through your posts. Thank you so much! Merry Christmas!

74 tinka December 12, 2010

Congratulations!! I was reading Allie’s Love Laugh Eat blog and your picture caught my eye in the side bar, then I saw that it was the Top 3 advertisement. So exciting!

75 yasmine (mypurplegrape) December 12, 2010

oh my mouth always starts watering when I read your blog!! I bet that this would taste amazing cold too!

good luck with your challenges!

X Yas

76 Kelly December 12, 2010

I’m so excited for you- you really deserve to win and I hope you do :)

77 Liana @ femme fraiche December 12, 2010

Good music can make or break a workout! Try putting on Shakira-Loca, Kesha-We are Who we Are, FeFe Dobson-Rockstar and the song Gwentyh Paltrow sang on Glee-Forget You…all great songs to run to!

78 Rachel December 12, 2010

I LOVE grenade and stereo love!!! I will have to check out little lion man!

79 Agnieszka December 12, 2010

do u still eat carbohydrates in the evening ?

80 Mary December 12, 2010

Try listening to The Dog Days are Over by Florence + The Machine…that and Little Lion Man have been my favorite songs to run to lately, I think you’d enjoy this song too!

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEK:)

81 Katie December 12, 2010

MMMMMM, made this for lunch today- it’s fantastic! Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe :)

82 Kris | iheartwellness.com December 12, 2010

Amazing! I made it last night for dinner and just replaced the tahini for sunflower seeds milled into a paste! So fab!

xxoo

83 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 12, 2010

beautiful salad! SO HAPPY you are in the 10th round!!! congrats !!! can’t wait to see the final post :)

84 Kelly B. December 12, 2010

That looks delicious!

And I saw this recipe and thought of you.

85 Summer December 12, 2010

Angela , u really glow babe and beautifully so….m so excited myself for u ,so can imagine u:-)
This is one of the most exciting posts ,looking forward to it and to vote for ya:-)
have a most wonderful day!

86 jen December 12, 2010

Love that bowl of goodness!!!

Jen

87 kelly December 12, 2010

congrats on making it to the finals! i can’t wait to see your final post, and the results of the whole thing. i’m putting my money on you!

i just wanted to let you know that you are such an inspiration. i’ve been reading oh she glows for a while, and i’ve commented once or twice before, but recently i realized (while recommending your blog to a friend) that i want to be you when i grow up. (and i’m 22…) but seriously. i like my current job, but my dream is to open a vegan bakery. i just don’t know if i’ll ever have the balls to do it. until then, i guess i’ll live vicariously though your blog. keep it up! :)

88 ATD December 12, 2010

Thank you so much for your blog! I just came across this from my sister and am so hooked! I feel like we have such similar stories: I recently found out I have been suffering from disordered eating myself for the last several years (Orthorexia to be exact; At my very worst I was eating the same meals at the same TIMES day in and day out and had intense anxiety surrounding food.) I have been working on it and am doing better; my unbelievably supportive husband has been encouraging me to try new foods, and I can’t wait to try some of your recipes!
Best to you and thank you for sharing!

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2010

thanks so much for your comment…I wish you all the best!

90 Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 12, 2010

Yummo! Anything creamy is a winner for me. This looks fantastic!

91 Laurie December 13, 2010

Angela,
Oh. My. Good. Graciousness! I made this salad for my boyfriend and I for dinner.
The dressing is addictive and having a big, huge bowl of chopped veggies with the rice and lentils just made me a happy, happy girl! My boyfriend loved it too. I got an “I love you” right after his first bite. Haha! You rule, I don’t know how you do everything but it’s all beautiful and soul soothing. Rock on!

92 Kimberly Roberts December 13, 2010

this is one AMAZING dish!!!!! thanks so much for sharing and i dont know how i lived without that dressing before now!! i added banana peppers to mine.
i live in the bahamas and today it is 60 degress (at noon with the sun out) with 30 knot winds, so this is the perfect salad for a cold day :)
thanks so much!

93 Sarah December 13, 2010

Hi Angela! I just made this for dinner tonight, it was so delicious! I adore the dressing! <3

94 Daniele December 14, 2010

I also love Mumford and Sons! Little Lion Man is a great song and I always smile when they play it on the radio censored, of course :)

95 elise December 14, 2010

just voted for you. i reallllly hope you win :)

96 Hawley December 14, 2010

I recreated this for dinner last night, and had leftovers for lunch today. SO GOOD!

I made the dressing a bit differently- I left out the oil and nutritional yeast, and added a bit of agave to balance the bitterness of the tahini, and it turned out fantastic! Thanks for the inspiration :)

97 Angela L. January 4, 2011

How much agave did you use?

98 Hawley January 4, 2011

I used it to taste- probably about a teaspoon? I would suggest adding only a little at a time until it tastes right.

99 Andrea Bloomfield December 14, 2010

Hi Angela! We are in the middle of the snowstorm in Southwestern Ontario and have been snowed in since Sunday afternoon. I am going STIR CRAZY, so I decided to get busy in the kitchen. I was doing some baking, but have ran out of sugar..ok, I did a lot of baking, so I had to switch gears. I just made this amazing meal. I LOVED it……another one of your recipes to put into my “keepers”. A great comfort food when you’re stuck inside in blustery weather. Also great to give me the energy to get out to shovel…well, maybe it gave my husband enough energy to get out there … but I might just go out & help ;-) My hubby found the dressing a little bit too strong for his tastes, so next time I might try the suggestion above and add a bit of agave nectar to balance out the flavours. I love tahini, garlic and lemon, so it was fabulous for me! Thanks for yet another wonderful meal idea!

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

Glad you liked it! I agree that the dressing can be adapted in many ways :)

101 Traci December 15, 2010

Looks Yummy!

102 Ffion December 16, 2010

Oh wow that looks good! I need to pick up some lentils ASAP!

103 Melissa December 22, 2010

Finally made this last night…. so good! Had the leftovers today and I think it tasted even better!

104 Angela L. January 4, 2011

I’m DYING to try this, but have a question about the dressing. Is there something that can be used in place of the dressing? I live overseas right now for the next 3 months and cannot get Nutritional Yeast, at least I have yet to be able to find it here. Any recomendations or substitutions???

Thanks!

105 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2011

Im not sure…maybe sub in parmasan cheese for nutrit. yeast? Its not vegan obviously, so I’m not sure if you need something vegan or not.

106 Angela L. January 5, 2011

Thank you! :) I’m not vegan, but the more I look at the recipes on your site, the more it makes me want to turn, lol. I’ll be making this tomorrow and will try the parm cheese in place and let you know how it turned out.

Thank you again!

107 Janet April 30, 2016

Serving size and calorie count please!