Staying Healthy During the Holidays

It is feeling a lot like the holidays around here!

Last night, Eric and I put up our tree, outdoor lights, and decorations and we also received our first snowfall overnight. :)

You may have assumed that I had the holiday decor up weeks ago, but the truth is, we didn’t have a chance until last night!

I’m glad the decorations are up now though…except for a couple that really creep us out

IMG 8035 thumb thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

They are a Liddon family heirloom, that is all I’m going to say about that. ;) Sketchie’s tail poufs up when he sees them by the staircase. It isn’t pretty.

Thank you for your support for my Challenge #9 Project Food Blog post yesterday! It is crazy to think that this challenge has been going on since September and we are down to the final round this coming Sunday!!

I feel like I have aged 30 years and sprouted about 100 new grey hairs. bahaha. Good times, good times. ;)

They are cutting 12 contestants down to just 3 this Friday, so your votes will make all the difference in helping me advance to the final 10th round. All you do is click the heart to vote and if you don’t have an account, simply enter your email and username to register. It is quick to sign up! It will also help out if you re-tweet your vote on Twitter and ‘like’ the post on Facebook.

Click here to be taken to the page and thank you in advance for sticking with my crazy self throughout this contest!

IMG 2015 thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

Staying Healthy During the holidays

It is that time of the year when my healthy eating can take a nosedive and I find myself losing motivation as the days get shorter and shorter.

The urge to hibernate is strong my friends.

Sketchie knows what I’m talking about. He has been sleeping beside the heat vent for days on end, only to move when he hears a clinking sound in his food dish.

Luckily, with each new day we can commit to making healthy choices, even if the odds do seem to be stacked against us!

On December 1st, I made a commitment to myself:

Every day for the month of December, my goal is to get a hefty serving of vegetables into my diet in some form. This could be in the form of Green Monsters, salads, soups, or other foods loaded with veggies.

IMG 4846 thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

So far, it has been going well and I am feeling more energized than I was in November!

Yesterday, I talked very briefly about the salad and dressing that I adapted from The Coup Cookbook and I wanted to go into more depth about it today because I am head over heels in love with this salad.

It is my new favourite salad and I will be eating it frequently over the holidays to keep me energized and satisfied.

clubmed thumb1   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

IMG 5020 thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

IMG 4834 thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

This salad really knocks my socks off and Eric even said it was delicious! This is good news coming from a former vegetable hater. :)

IMG 4840 thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

The dressing also just takes 5 minutes to throw together.

IMG 5005 thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays IMG 5012 thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

For the past few days I have been having a nightly snack of chopped veggies and dressing. It is a wonderful snack that leaves me feeling satisfied thanks to the healthy fats.

IMG 5018 thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

IMG 5023 thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

Creamy and thick.

IMG 5024 thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

IMG 5033 thumb   Staying Healthy During the Holidays

Have you made any goals to stay healthy over the holidays? What are your tips and tricks for staying on track?

As part of my next post I will be showing you the workout music that has been keeping me motivated during my workouts!

carol December 6, 2010

Angela, this salad looks absolutely amazing!!!!! You never cease to surprise me with your fabulous recipes and pictures.

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 6, 2010

Not only does that salad look beautiful, it sounds delicious… I have a similar goal up until I go home for the holidays: to down one green juice everyday. I’m prepping my system for what is going to be one amazing week of indulging- I’ll just go ahead and admit it now ;) I’m off to vote!

Christina December 6, 2010

Very nice post, as usual;). I have planned to stay healthy over the holidays by eating at least one vegetable of every colour a day. That means some red berries, some orange pumpkin or orange, white or tanned beans, yellow pepper, violet plums or beets, black lentils…It’s fun and it works pretty well because your plates also look nicer when there are all kinds of differnet colours on them and the best about it all:you get all the nutritions you need every day:)!

maggie December 6, 2010

First off I just have to say…I’ve been reading for a year or so now and you are just fantastic. Angela you’ve went from learning about yourself through blogging to being yourself. Your photography and writing has elevated..your recipes are beautiful and your stories are heartfelt. I’m a young woman myself and I find you to be a big role model in my life to eating healthy, viewing myself as beautiful and striving each day to be more positive. Watching your work during the project food blog contest has just left me modivated and inspired to reach my goals. You are just soaring like a eagel! Thanks for this fantastic recipe and thank you a million for being such a great woman blogger..your going places :)

Maggie

mybreakfastblog.com

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

That means so much to me, thank you. Support like that makes the hard work so worth it. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 6, 2010

i’m just going to have to second this to a ‘T’ – well said, and I couldnt’ be more proud of you Angela!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 6, 2010

Those are certainly some… unique decorations. ;)

Bethany @ More Fruit Please December 6, 2010

I love your tact in just saying that the carolers are a Liddon family heirloom. That certainly says it all! I’ve actually been having quite a few Green Monsters lately. I didn’t think that I would want one this time of year in the cold, but I’ve found that my body has been craving something lighter and fresh to compensate for some “heavier” indulgences that I’ve been having this time of year.

Amanda (Eating Up) December 6, 2010

Haha I love the creepy decorations. I think they’re perfect!

Trish December 6, 2010

Yum! Looks delicious! Love that tahini dressing! Good luck with PFB!

Kristy @ KristyRuns December 6, 2010

That salad looks AMAZING! I can’t wait to re-create it! ;)

Uhhhh…yeah…those decorations…wow.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

hahah no words right?

Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 6, 2010

Haha, that couple IS creepy!

leslie December 6, 2010

that salad dressing is *so* my style and i am making it tonight!

i also just want to say that i was incredibly impressed with your latest project food blog entry – the fact that you went beyond the typical restaurant review to actually go home and make the food yourself was a wonderful idea and so appropriate for the way you blog. congrats on all your successes so far! your story continues to be a joy to read.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

Thank you! It just felt….wrong not to bake something up in my post. ;) When I found the cookbook it was a sign!

Heather December 6, 2010

I can totally relate to the “family heirloom” decorations, I think my aunt has those exact dolls!

One “stay healthy” trick I use which is extra helpful over the holidays is to avoid undereating at meals. If I undereat, I am much more likely to snack on sweets later in the day!

Also, I get my “heap” of veggies at lunchtime by packing a big salad to take to work, the nigh before.

hippierunner December 6, 2010

I love that twig spoon! So adorable!

Julie December 6, 2010

Ive made the same commitment to eat more veggies! I guess great veggie minds think alike ;)

Allison @ Food For Healing December 6, 2010

I definitely want to UP my veggies this season. Try to snack on the healthy things rather than the cookies, and bring some of my own snacks because i know for a fact there won’t be a heck of a lot of good food around haha

Healthy Chocoholic December 6, 2010

Yummy!!!!!!! All of your pictures are beautiful!!!!

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan December 6, 2010

WOw so colourful! Looks amazing!!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 6, 2010

I’ve already voted, and I’m rooting for you to win. Your blog has been one of my very favorites since I first discovered it, and I can’t imagine anyone who deserves it more!!

I had a huge salad with lots of veggies for lunch today. So filling and nutritious- I always have a burst of energy after eating one!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 6, 2010

YUM! I love tahini so I’ll be making this soon :D

traci December 6, 2010

I have been talking about staying healthy during the holidays lately. I have been battling the a cold for the past week and I made a comittment to ease up on the holiday baked goodies. I think I can somehow justify them when they are made of whole ingredients :) I also can get in such a rut with food so I’m going to start shaking up a bit and going to incorporate different veggies into my diet.
That salad has made my mouth water by the way. Maybe i’ll start with that :)

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow December 6, 2010

My best holiday-cold-flu-stress busters:

1. Put sleep first as much as possible

2. Similar to you, find fresh foods to eat in one meal a day. And then have a treat a day to keep restriction/denial/guilt cravings away.

3. Let go of the pressure to be anything but YOU. No striving for perfection. Just be you and share this time with those you love!

All = health!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

great tips!

Ashley Craft December 6, 2010

That salad looks soooooooo delicious Angela!

Haha…poor Sketchie. I can totally see my cat having the same reaction! I am sure he will adjust eventually. :)

Lauren December 6, 2010

That spoon is so cute. I usually do a lot more yoga because it keeps me energized and happy when I can’t run outside as much due to the freezing weather and snowstorms!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 6, 2010

My goal for the holidays is to try to keep up a fairly regular workout schedule. Christmas shopping may count as a workout on some days though. ;)

I voted for you! You deserve this!

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle December 6, 2010

I love this post! All that food looks absolutely amazing!!!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA December 6, 2010

That’s a beautiful salad! I always have trouble making my food pretty.

I do want to keep up my healthy lifestyle over the holidays, and I hope to eat more salads because I’ll be visiting my mom so I’ll have someone to chop veggies with!

Camille December 6, 2010

Those guys are super creepy!
They would definitely not be allowed to make an appearance in my house! :)

Lizzie December 6, 2010

This looks amazing!! Question: if you make the dressing, how long do you think it would keep for? I wowed my husband with your better than baslamic (just had some tonight, actually!) and I know that’s got a goos shelf. Would love to have another reason for him to love salads! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

I was wondering this too…
I would say a week for sure…possibly longer?
You can split the recipe in half too (or in fourths??) :)

JessicaEn December 6, 2010

Hey Angela! I have never commented before but I just wanted to let you know that you are one of ten or so blogs that I LOVE and have read for nearly 3 years. So I definitely cast my vote for you. You are so inspirational in your journey to health and I can relate to you in so many ways. I hope you win.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

thank you!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 6, 2010

Wow– I can’t believe that the contest is in the last round!!! You’ve done so awesomely (is that a word?)!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 6, 2010

I think the simple goal of shooting for a solid serving of veggies each day during the holidays is a great one. I’ll have to remember that for next year. I would say now but I can’t make any promises at 8.5 months pregnant. ;)

And I really hope you win the challenge! You deserve it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

haha you are cute…best wishes to you during the last little while!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 6, 2010

love throwing 2-3 cups of spinach into a protein shake… yum! fingers crossed (although I have no doubt) that you get through to the last round! your salad looks perfect- currently on a roasted veggie kick, topping my salad with just warm vegetables and a sprinkle of himalayan salt. hits the spot!

Tiffany December 6, 2010

I just found your blog, and I am blown away! I am newly vegan, and cannot wait to make your pastries! I am downloading your recipes like crazy.
For Thanksgiving I actually packed a bunch of food for myself. I made large servings of vegan foods I love, and my family dug in. My dad LOVED the lunches I made. I even had them all drinking my green smoothies in the AM.
For Christmas I’m going to do the same. I’m traveling, but will stop and pick up supplies to make vegan meals, and many of your delicious cookies and energy bars/snacks. My family will love them, I’ll stay on track with my eating, and I won’t tell anyone how healthy/vegan it all is until the plate is empty :)

Shanna, Like Banana December 6, 2010

I love how our animals have a better sense of what is creepy than we do ;)

I try to stay healthy by keeping up the workouts — even if they aren’t earth shattering challenging, just to get moving puts me in the right mindset.

Annie@stronghealthyfit December 6, 2010

Mm I love tahini dressing! Your salad looks delicious. Good luck with PFB!

Rachel @Balance and Blueberries December 6, 2010

I just made this dressing. I read it, saw that I had all the ingredients (except for the yeast), and headed to the kitchen. Without the yeast, it makes it more runny, but oh so tasty! Thanks for the great recipe :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

oh wow good to know!! I was wondering about the nooch

Rachel December 6, 2010

I just gotta say you inspire me so much! I am currently a student and December is the month from hell when it comes to eating healthy(Exams and Christmas treats!)
I just ordered my first batch of glow bars! They will be great for snacks between my ill-timed exams! And I will be able to choose them over various Christmas cookies and snacks!

Lauren December 6, 2010

This looks like my kind of salad. Everything I could ever imagine going in a salad just went on this plate. Looks fantastic Angela!

Lauren December 6, 2010

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 6, 2010

Mmmm…that giant salad looks so good! I had one like it tonight for dinner, actually.

Page 1 of 3123»