Staying Healthy During the Holidays

It is feeling a lot like the holidays around here!

Last night, Eric and I put up our tree, outdoor lights, and decorations and we also received our first snowfall overnight. :)

You may have assumed that I had the holiday decor up weeks ago, but the truth is, we didn’t have a chance until last night!

I’m glad the decorations are up now though…except for a couple that really creep us out

IMG_8035_thumb

They are a Liddon family heirloom, that is all I’m going to say about that. ;) Sketchie’s tail poufs up when he sees them by the staircase. It isn’t pretty.

Thank you for your support for my Challenge #9 Project Food Blog post yesterday! It is crazy to think that this challenge has been going on since September and we are down to the final round this coming Sunday!!

I feel like I have aged 30 years and sprouted about 100 new grey hairs. bahaha. Good times, good times. ;)

They are cutting 12 contestants down to just 3 this Friday, so your votes will make all the difference in helping me advance to the final 10th round. All you do is click the heart to vote and if you don’t have an account, simply enter your email and username to register. It is quick to sign up! It will also help out if you re-tweet your vote on Twitter and ‘like’ the post on Facebook.

Click here to be taken to the page and thank you in advance for sticking with my crazy self throughout this contest!

IMG_2015

Staying Healthy During the holidays

It is that time of the year when my healthy eating can take a nosedive and I find myself losing motivation as the days get shorter and shorter.

The urge to hibernate is strong my friends.

Sketchie knows what I’m talking about. He has been sleeping beside the heat vent for days on end, only to move when he hears a clinking sound in his food dish.

Luckily, with each new day we can commit to making healthy choices, even if the odds do seem to be stacked against us!

On December 1st, I made a commitment to myself:

Every day for the month of December, my goal is to get a hefty serving of vegetables into my diet in some form. This could be in the form of Green Monsters, salads, soups, or other foods loaded with veggies.

IMG_4846

So far, it has been going well and I am feeling more energized than I was in November!

Yesterday, I talked very briefly about the salad and dressing that I adapted from The Coup Cookbook and I wanted to go into more depth about it today because I am head over heels in love with this salad.

It is my new favourite salad and I will be eating it frequently over the holidays to keep me energized and satisfied.

clubmed

IMG_5020

IMG_4834

This salad really knocks my socks off and Eric even said it was delicious! This is good news coming from a former vegetable hater. :)

IMG_4840

The dressing also just takes 5 minutes to throw together.

IMG_5005 IMG_5012

For the past few days I have been having a nightly snack of chopped veggies and dressing. It is a wonderful snack that leaves me feeling satisfied thanks to the healthy fats.

IMG_5018

IMG_5023

Creamy and thick.

IMG_5024

IMG_5033

Have you made any goals to stay healthy over the holidays? What are your tips and tricks for staying on track?

As part of my next post I will be showing you the workout music that has been keeping me motivated during my workouts!

Page 3 of 3«123
Cat March 10, 2015

So I made this the night before and put it back in my fridge…. By the morning the yeast had had quite a party in my fridge. Thankfully it was in a sealed glass jar. What’s the secret to it not multiplying like crazy? I’m assuming the whole one and a half cups are not meant to use in one serving…. It smelled so good last night… Help!

Cat March 10, 2015

Um never mind. Learned the hard way about nutritional vs regular yeast….

Jennifer December 4, 2013

What could I use instead of oil? Trying to do no fat here! Gotta get my honey’s cholesterol down! Thanks.

Jennifer

Gems August 31, 2012

Hi, I just have to say all your recipes look amazing, I can’t wait to start trying them! I wondered the salad dressing you have up there ^^^ How lond would it keep for do you think in an airtight container in the fridge?! Many thanks Gems :D

carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream December 15, 2010

Tried the Tahini Lemon Garlic dressing! SO GOOD! I also made a little bit with mustard in the mix and used it on a pita wrap… SO GOOD! Thanks for the inspiration and great recipe!

Sheila Viers | Live Well 360 December 8, 2010

That salad looks insaaanely yummy. I’ve been adding peanuts and re-heated butternut squash to my salads and have been loving them!

This holiday season, my goal is t eat mindfully. No multi-tasking, taking time to really enjoy small portions of whatever foods I really want to enjoy. You might think that my plate would be filled with all kinds of sweets and traditionally “naughty” foods, but it’s not. I enjoy the sweets and so on, but I find myself really filling my plate with the veggies and the traditionally healthy choices much more than the sweets.

All in all, I believe that the holidays are made out to be such a time of over-indulgence on unhealthy foods, when really it’s much more about people’s relationship with eating than it is about the food itself.

I actually decided to write a 30-Day challenge (one post for each day through December) on this very topic!

Melissa December 8, 2010

That salad looks amazing! I will definitely be trying it.

Thank you for the inspiration to keep up the healthy choices through the holiday season. It can be hard.

You have inspired me to focus on including an abundance of veggies in my daily diet, even though the CSA veggies are dwindling. At this time of year, I go through this adjustment period of, “What?! I have to buy vegetables at the grocery store?! What do I eat now!?” :-)

Thank you!

Deborah December 8, 2010

Mmmmm, I made this for dinner last night. We LOVED it! The dressing is so creamy and delicious. Thanks so much for sharing! :-)

tweal December 8, 2010

I have not made any goals and I have no interest in staying ‘on track’ – there is just too much delicious food around the holidays and I refuse to deny myself! Of course, I don’t expect my pants to fit in January but that is when I focus on getting healthier :)

Lovely salad, btw. Tahini dressings are the best.

Caitlin December 8, 2010

Looks delish! I too have dared myself to a heap of veggies daily. I also created a facebook group for my girlfriends and I to keep each other accountable, post our successes as well as our over indulgences. I’ve also taken to posting inspiring exercise/mental health/cooking articles on the group. Most recently I asked my bffs if anyone is feeling up for a 5k after the New Year in order to keep our motivation up when apart over the holiday. I’ve never run a race before so we’ll see!!!

Whitney @BloomingSignificance.com December 7, 2010

How long will the dressing last in the refrigerator? Sounds soo yummy!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 7, 2010

im not sure because it is my first time making it…I would guess a week!

Cara Craves... December 7, 2010

No real set goals…I just continue to eat a healthy and balanced diet, do some exercise…never deprive myself…life is way too short for that.

Cami (Health & Happiness) December 7, 2010

Just voted for you!! Wishing you all the luck :)

Hannah December 7, 2010

Thanks for the recipe!! I just made a modified version for my lunch tomorrow!!!

Lauren December 7, 2010

I’m pretty addicted to fruits/veggies/whole grains so eating during the holiday season isn’t too big of a deal. I definitely make room for some sweet treats (in moderation) though and remember to keep moving. Luckily, I belong to a healthy eating family so holiday dinners tend to be pretty healthy :)

Jessica December 7, 2010

I’ve decided to make this a “December to remember” and posted my goals on my blog. Writing them down even if no one else reads them helps me a lot. I also like to journal about my progress, just a quick note here and there to help me realize that I am moving towards my goal.

Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee December 7, 2010

My main goal to stay healthy over the holidays is to keep exercising consistently, even when I am super busy. I plan my workouts for the week, and I just try not to think about what else I could be doing. In the words of Nike, I “Just Do It.” Good luck in the next round of Project Food Blog! You have done an AMAZING job!!!

Nichole December 7, 2010

That salad looks sensational! I live for bountiful, gigantic salads…

My holiday goals include eating more salad, more healthy smoothies, fresh fruit daily, more running, and making it to the gym at least once a week. So far, I haven’t gained an ounce, which is impressive given the recent deluge of baked goods….

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life December 7, 2010

That spoon is tripping me out! I kept trying to figure out why you had a stick in your dressing :-)

jen December 7, 2010

My goal for December was to just not gain any weight, but as of yesterday I’m down 4lbs, so I’m not complaining!
Your salad looks incredible!!! Thanks for sharing :)
Good luck with the last round of Project Food Blog!!

Jen

Hayley December 7, 2010

Does anyone know how to sign up for new post notifications? Thank you in advance!

Laurab @ foodsnobstl December 7, 2010

That is a great and easily attainable goal! I try to be sure to workout the same number of times a week, even if it is just for 20 ofr 30 minutes.