The Hummus That Changed Everything

20101115IMG 0504 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

Happy first Saturday in December! :)

Is your shopping done yet?

I joke, I joke. ;)

Please tell me your shopping is not done yet. I will shed jealous crocodile tears if it is.

I have a couple quick announcements before I get into the post:

1) A huge thank you for your continued votes in Project Food Blog! Yesterday, I advanced to Challenge #9. I was a big ball of nerves all day I tell you. For challenge #9, they are cutting 12 contestants down to just 3 contestants for the final 10th round, so your votes will be more important than ever for this next one. Keep your eyes peeled for my 9th challenge post tomorrow. :) I’ve been working around the clock and very excited!

2) Holiday Glo Bar variety packs are on sale NOW (Sat Dec 4) and are expected to sell out quickly!

IMG 0452 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

And now on a more serious note, I talk hummus.

For hummus is not to be joked about. It is serious business.

The only problem with sharing a hummus recipe with you is that hummus taste preferences are so varied that it is difficult to say that this hummus recipe will be the perfect, life-changing fit for you, but I can tell you it is the right fit for me!

I can also tell you that the beauty of making hummus at home is that you can play around with the recipe to suit your own needs. Add ingredients like lemon, garlic, and salt gradually so you can taste test and adapt for your own preference.

With that being said, let’s get our hummus on!

IMG 4656 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

IMG 4633 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

One thing I love about homemade hummus is that it is so quick and easy to make!

It literally takes just 5 minutes before you are stuffing your face in hummus glory. :)

IMG 4638 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

The original recipe calls for 4 cloves of garlic, so I tried that out yesterday and it was way too garlicky for my liking. Two cloves is perfect for me!

I also had to cut down the salt as my canned chickpeas were salted.

IMG 4640 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

After a few adjustments, the result was a creamy and smooth hummus with the perfect consistency.

IMG 4649 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

Dare I say this was better than my favourite Fontaine Sante store bought hummus? Yes, I think I do.

I looked at my mom and said, ‘I will never buy store bought hummus again.’

IMG 4661 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

Don’t forget to drizzle on olive oil and a sprinkle of Paprika. This truly makes the hummus pop and gives it that smooth, buttery quality going down.

IMG 4665 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

Just perfect.

IMG 4667 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

The recipe makes about 2 cups and provides a quick and easy lunch spread for wraps, sandwiches, crackers, and veggies.

IMG 4671 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

Or you can just spoon feed yourself straight from the food processor as you stand there in your hummus ecstasy.

Not that I have done that or anything…

Celena December 6, 2010

Yum! I just made this and your multiseed crackers for snacks for the weeks, the spoonful I ate straight out of the processor was delicious :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 6, 2010

I only started really liking hummus about 5 months ago but now I can’t get enough – and it’s always home made!! I love the idea of putting Tabasco in! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

yes the tabasco was really fun!

KellyJ December 6, 2010

Are you really sold out of the Holiday Glo Bar Variety packs? It was only 2 days… :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

yes so sorry! :( It sold out in 2-3 hours. If I get caught up I will be releasing more (but ill announce date/time on blog before doing so)

Ashley December 6, 2010

Angela!! SO Glad you enjoyed The Coup! Awesome post, I will be voting for you :)

Jennie (in Wonderland) December 6, 2010

My best tip for ultimate, authentic-tasting hummus is to make it in the blender, not the food processor. It takes a little extra work and a bit more chickpea water (usually about 1/4 cup) but it yields the most fantastically smooth and creamy hummus. Even my fiance loves it and he always pretends to hate healthy food, ha ha.

I just whipped up a batch of your recipe tonight and it’s fantastic! Like I said, I stuck it all in the blender and also added a bit more chickpea water plus two tablespoons of olive oil. It’s out of this world delicious!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 7, 2010

Leave it to Ina to design the perfect hummus…yum.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 7, 2010

Leave it to Ina to design the perfect hummus…yum.

Sarah April 11, 2012

I’m going to be catering for a yoga teacher training retreat this summer so I have been stocking up on hummus recipes! My favorite is to sub about 1/2 of the chickpeas with edamame, use lime instead of lemon, and sub out the tahini for macadamia nuts. You have to add a little more liquid, but it makes a really delicious hummus!
Another tip–I have a really crummy food processor–I just end up with chunky hummus :( so I started using my immersion blender. It works so well!

Courtney April 15, 2012

OMG Hummus. That’s what this should be called…it’s so good!

Willow April 19, 2012

Mmm, love hummus! But, there’s a small flaw in your recipe. The part where you say it’ll last 4-5 days in the fridge… that jut isn’t true. Hummus doesn’t last one day around here! Nom! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012

haha so true!

Chris Johnson April 19, 2012

May I make one suggestion?

Do NOT use the liquid from the can – almost all can’s are lined with plastic – so that liquid that you are using is loaded with BPA.
Unless you buy your chickpeas from someone like Eden Foods, who uses a ceramic can liner, the liquid should always be drained – no exceptions.
BPA is one of the biggest hidden health hazards of the 20/21st century – it’s one of those substances that people in 50 years will be saying “What were the hell where they thinking using that stuff?!”

Melissa April 22, 2012

Hello! I love your website…Im working on transfering my family to a more natural way of life….LOVE your site. Stumbled upon it through pinterest and I looked at every single recipe you have! Even saved it to my favorites!

My question is- I have been looking for a recipe for a granola bar similar to your Holiday Glo bars that you aparently sold at christmas time. I wondered if you have posted a recipe for that somewhere and I just cant find it. I would love to make them. THanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2012

Hey Melissa! Thanks for your kind words about the blog. I dont have it posted but hope to post a couple glo bar recipes in my cookbook. Take care!

Jennifer June 12, 2012

Wow. This is literally the best hummus I have ever had! I am currently dipping fresh cucumbers in it. YUM!

I would also like to add that I didn’t have any Tahini on hand but I did have some sesame seeds so I put a 1/4 cup of those in there instead as well as an extra clove of garlic (what can I say, I love garlic!).

Sharon June 19, 2012

WOW! That is one incredible hummus! Thank you! I left off the olive oil and only used 1/8 tsp of salt.

Jon July 17, 2012

After browsing your website for a few weeks I finally got around to trying one of your recipes…Amazing! This hummus is a game changer. Absolutely perfect!

Thank you Angela for your recipes and for the great stories that go into each one.

Annie July 18, 2012

Just made this as forgot to buy hummus with my groceries today and omg, I will never buy hummus ever again. This recipe is so easy and the result is amazing, just how I like my hummus too! Thank you so much angela :)

Annie July 18, 2012

Out of interest, I just put the nutritional info in my calculator too. It is SO much healthier than bought hummus (aka you can have double the amount :D)

Yansy July 25, 2012

I am going to make this. I am so glad you took a photo of the ingredients, especially the tahini sauce. I was wondering what kind to buy. Your blog is really wonderful, thank you so much for sharing it!

Anne-Michelle Frances July 30, 2012

Lemon juice in lieu of olive oil — never though of it, and I LOVE IT! And the Tabasco was the icing on the cake. I made this for my kids to eat throughout the day with their babysitters, and I ate almost all of it before leaving for work. Definitely my new favorite hummus!

Heidi August 13, 2012

Yum!! I have tried several hummus recipes but this one is da bomb!! My sweet daughters are gobbling it up!

Cynthia September 10, 2012

Made my FIRST hummus ever today! Thank you for the inspiration! With a title like “The Hummus that Changed Everything, even this lazy girl couldn’t resist trying! lol So easy, so much cheaper than store-bought & tastier, too! =)

Cynthia September 10, 2012

*” and *, <—- Sorry, I'm a bit of a grammar nut!

Sue Walters September 16, 2012

Wow! I made this tonight having found it on Pinterest and it’s amazing!! We love hummous and this will definitely save us some money. Thank you!

Theresa September 30, 2012

Here it is

Cristy October 13, 2012

Hi Angela! I made my (very first) hummus today using your recipe and I LOVE the taste! Thank you for the recipe. I sure will share it! :)

Stephanay November 3, 2012

Sound syummy. I will try this because I love hummus.

Kate December 18, 2012

I’m really picky when it comes to hummus, so I only ever eat it when I’m at my fav restaurant… Most of the super-market brands are either super heavy on tahini or spices (like cumin.) I like just plain with lemon and garlic (roasted,) and when I have the time I follow a recipe similar to this but simmer the canned chickpeas in water with a clove of garlic, then strain and puree the garlic (cooked and fresh) lemon juice, and tahini together, and then the chickpeas, which I found results in a really creamy texture without skinning them first.

lana357 December 25, 2012

I made my own hummus a week ago for the first time, using a similar recipe. And, just like you, I’m pretty sure I won’t go back to store-bought again! Who knew that something so simple could be so superior when created at home?

Joanne January 22, 2013

This is, indeed, the hummus that changed everything. I’ve been making my own hummus for a year now using a “pretty good” recipe that I found online….but it just never quite had the taste of the yummy storebought ones. After trying this recipe…. “EUREKA! I’ve found it!” More tahini and more lemon! (and I’m sure the Tabasco helps….I’ve been using the green one which has a little less kick and is perfect for us). Thank you also to the peeps who wrote about removing the skins for a smoother texture! I think it really does make a difference. I’m hooked!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 31, 2013

Yess! I love the lemon, I add tons of lemon :)
Coupla years ago when I was transitioning from being vegetarian to being vegan [after finding out about the horrors of factory farming] I was really clueless as to what to snack on. Hummus saved the day! Perfect haha

Rebecca March 18, 2013

I just made this recipe, and I will never be buying hummus from the store again! I was on a chickpea and tahini kick tonight because I made your Buddha Bowl with the Lightened Up Lemon Tahini sauce and had cooked up way too many chickpeas (I still have some in the fridge). I used my blender for this, and the texture came out just perfect. I did add some cumin, and crushed red chili peppers, but I like it hot. =P This will be so good on my salads and wraps! On a side note, it was fantastic straight from the blender as well!

Valium April 24, 2013

Your write-up has proven useful to us. It’s extremely informative and you’re clearly really knowledgeable in this area. You possess popped my sight in order to various opinion of this particular subject matter using interesting and reliable content material.

paula porter May 3, 2013

It is 7:50am and my girls (3.5y and 21m) are gathered around a bowl eating carrots and this delicious hummus!!!

Krystyna May 28, 2013

Hi,
I’ve been going through so many of your previous posts, having just discovered your website a couple weeks ago. AMAZING!!!
I grew up in Canada, absolutely ate my weight twice over in Fontaine Sante hummus and veg pate. Now that I’ve moved to New Zealand, I’m saddened to say, the hummus is just not up to Fontaine Sante standard. I’m hoping you can help me:
- How would you modify this recipe to mimic the Fontaine Sante “vegetable” flavored hummus — it’s got a green label.
- How would you go about making one of their famous vege pates???
Thanks so much for the amazing recipes. :)

Sher June 9, 2013

First recipe that I’ve tried from your blog (but it certainly will NOT be the last…I think I want to try everything you’ve posted!)…This was amazing, even though I forgot the garlic! (I’ll *have* to add it before I sit down to dinner with my veggies, hummus and wine.) I also made the chickpeas from scratch – what an amazing difference in flavor! Your recipes are the best form of encouragement. Thanks!

Allyson July 5, 2013

I loved the addition of the tahini but found this to be way too much lemon. Did you mean 7-8 teaspoons? Thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2013

Sorry Allyson, I did mean tablespoons but I probably should have called it LEMONY hummus to emphasize how lemony it is. Thanks for your feedback!

Carole July 11, 2013

I buy dried chick peas and soak in water – does this mean that i would cook them first to make this hummus?
your thoughts would be helpful
cheers
Carole

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2013

Yes cook them before making the hummus – enjoy!

Moms_GoingGreen July 20, 2013

By far my favorite Hummus recipe. Eager to try your red pepper and edamame hummus recipes next! Also have to share this great find on my Pinterest to Vegan Food board.

Yvonne August 31, 2013

Tip: Not all Tahini is made equal. Different brands changed the flavor of my hummus. If someone out there finds they don’t like hummus it’s probably the tahini that was added.

Raina September 12, 2013

Hi, please help!
I make homemade hummus and every time it goes bad by the third day. It starts getting a little fizzy and there are air pockets in it and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I soak the beans overnight, boil them, then blend the usual suspects for a delicious hummus. I put it in a tupperware container and refrigerate. I get two days of normal hummus then, hmm, this doesnt seem quite right Honey.

alissa October 10, 2013