The Hummus That Changed Everything

20101115IMG 0504 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

Happy first Saturday in December! :)

Is your shopping done yet?

I joke, I joke. ;)

Please tell me your shopping is not done yet. I will shed jealous crocodile tears if it is.

I have a couple quick announcements before I get into the post:

1) A huge thank you for your continued votes in Project Food Blog! Yesterday, I advanced to Challenge #9. I was a big ball of nerves all day I tell you. For challenge #9, they are cutting 12 contestants down to just 3 contestants for the final 10th round, so your votes will be more important than ever for this next one. Keep your eyes peeled for my 9th challenge post tomorrow. :) I’ve been working around the clock and very excited!

2) Holiday Glo Bar variety packs are on sale NOW (Sat Dec 4) and are expected to sell out quickly!

IMG 0452 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

And now on a more serious note, I talk hummus.

For hummus is not to be joked about. It is serious business.

The only problem with sharing a hummus recipe with you is that hummus taste preferences are so varied that it is difficult to say that this hummus recipe will be the perfect, life-changing fit for you, but I can tell you it is the right fit for me!

I can also tell you that the beauty of making hummus at home is that you can play around with the recipe to suit your own needs. Add ingredients like lemon, garlic, and salt gradually so you can taste test and adapt for your own preference.

With that being said, let’s get our hummus on!

IMG 4656 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

IMG 4633 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

One thing I love about homemade hummus is that it is so quick and easy to make!

It literally takes just 5 minutes before you are stuffing your face in hummus glory. :)

IMG 4638 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

The original recipe calls for 4 cloves of garlic, so I tried that out yesterday and it was way too garlicky for my liking. Two cloves is perfect for me!

I also had to cut down the salt as my canned chickpeas were salted.

IMG 4640 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

After a few adjustments, the result was a creamy and smooth hummus with the perfect consistency.

IMG 4649 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

Dare I say this was better than my favourite Fontaine Sante store bought hummus? Yes, I think I do.

I looked at my mom and said, ‘I will never buy store bought hummus again.’

IMG 4661 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

Don’t forget to drizzle on olive oil and a sprinkle of Paprika. This truly makes the hummus pop and gives it that smooth, buttery quality going down.

IMG 4665 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

Just perfect.

IMG 4667 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

The recipe makes about 2 cups and provides a quick and easy lunch spread for wraps, sandwiches, crackers, and veggies.

IMG 4671 thumb   The Hummus That Changed Everything

Or you can just spoon feed yourself straight from the food processor as you stand there in your hummus ecstasy.

Not that I have done that or anything…

Sondi December 4, 2010

Yay! Once you make hummus yourself, it’s really hard to go back to store-bought. And you can make so many variations – I like throwing in some roasted red peppers, or tossing in a few handfuls of spinach. Yum.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 4, 2010

I wish I could marry hummus…I had a lovely red pepper hummus and spinach wrap as part of my lunch today :)
Adding Tabasco to it is a great idea!

stacey-healthylife December 4, 2010

Congratulations. I am making that hummus. Last time I made hummus it tasted horrible. But if you say it’s the best then I trust you.

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious December 4, 2010

Congratulations on making it through! like the addition of tabasco…will have to try that.

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA December 4, 2010

I love hummus and it is so easy to make yourself! I want to try making an eggplant hummus — there’s a version at Trader Joe’s that’s really good.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010

mmm eggplant hummus!!!

Laura @ Starloz December 4, 2010

love your recipe, yummo!

cant wait to see your food buzz post

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 4, 2010

I need to make my own hummus! Store bought isn’t cutting it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 4, 2010

This hummus looks amazing! Love the tabasco in it! Yum! I love hummus but often find commercially prepared hummus is a garlic and salt-fest…which some people are ok with but for me, doesnt work out so well so I always make my own if I want hummus. It’s so easy and never again would one need to pay $5 for a tub or whatever it is…especially w/ an amazing recipe like yours!!! :)

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life December 4, 2010

YEEESSS!! Thank you for the recipe!!! You know, I had hummus that changed my life the other day, too!

Rachael December 4, 2010

The quest for the perfect hummus is epic – I’m glad your found your own version of the holy grail!
And congrats on PFB – I’m rooting (and voting) for you!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 4, 2010

hummmus is yummusssss!

Heather (Faces of Beauty) December 4, 2010

anything from barefoot contessa wins in my book…she’s completely fabulous and has the BEST recipes!

Karen December 4, 2010

Congrats on your Project Food Blog win:))))
I know you are going to make it to the finals! Can’t wait to see your recipe for the 9th challenge. Votes are forth-coming!

I can not believe you’ve never made your own hummus before this!! So great! I’ve been using Emeril’s recipe off the Food Network for a few years now; I NEVER buy it. Your recipe is very similar to what I do. I recommend (for variation) adding a jar of roasted red pappers or a jar of pitted kalamata olives to the base recipe. (Perhaps even less salt in the olive version). YUM!!!
Congrats on discovering homemade hummus!!
Enjoy!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010

thanks! :)

ive made hummus before but it was never enough to convince me not to buy my fav store bought :)

Danielle December 4, 2010

Looks delicious!! Will be trying tomorrow!

Sana December 4, 2010

I can’t eat too much hummus. I won’t have any friends if you know what I mean…

Mauimandy@The Grains of Paradise December 4, 2010

Congrats on advancing to round 9!
That hummus looks insane! I’m bookmarking this post!!
Aloha :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie December 5, 2010

Hummus is my drug. I make it all the time and almost ONLY eat it with carrots! Yum Yum Yum.

You’re so right that it IS seriously business.

Seglare December 5, 2010

My favorite hummus recipe is almost 100% identical with yours (the ingredients are all the same, but some of the amounts vary slightly) – and I’ll have to agree with you, it is so good! :) Since I found the recipe a few years ago, I haven’t bought hummus in the store once. I often use Sriracha instead of Tabasco, but as you say, it’s all a matter of taste.

Congratulations on making it to round 9 in the Project Food Blog challenge! I have been so impressed with all the hard work you have put in it, and can’t wait to see what you come up with this time. :)

Wei-Wei December 5, 2010

CONGRATS on the PFB – you’re amazing and I bet you’ll make it to the next round for sure ;) This hummus sounds amazing, by the way. I usually make mine from dried chickpeas… would there be any loss of flavour that way? I like to add more salt, but I never add garlic. I think I’ll try that this time around!

Lauren M. December 5, 2010

Just made it. It changed EVERYTHING. The end.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010

yay!!!

Sarah December 5, 2010

Yum! I would be right there along with you, eating freshly made hummus, straight from the food processor.

tweal December 5, 2010

I am also a serious fan of Fontaine Sante hummus, and their baba ganoush. I do make my own hummus and dips which I like as much, but sometimes it’s so much easier to open a container than make my own. I’m glad you found a hummus that you love – it really is one of the perfect foods.

Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee December 5, 2010

Congrats on Project Food Blog! So excited to see what’s in store for challenge #9. Good luck!

Sierra December 5, 2010

Oh. My. God. I made this hummus last night and it is incredible. I’m tyically not a hummus fan but after tasting this, it will be a staple in my fridge. Thanks for the recipe!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 5, 2010

I love homemade hummus! You are right, it’s so personal. I always add extra EVOO and garlic.

Shawna December 5, 2010

You should post a healthy vegan potato/sweet potato LATKE recipe for all the jews celebrating Hanukkah this week. I can’t bring myself to fry them in a bunch of oil. What should I do?

Liz Collins December 5, 2010

I just received my new food processor and this is going to be my first use for it! It sounds amazing and I have a serious addiction to hummus. I can’t wait to try it! Thank you!

traci December 5, 2010

Oooooo :D Yummy can’t wait to get my hummus on :)

Amber K December 5, 2010

Ahh, maybe that has been my problem! I try to overcompensate when trying to adjust the taste of my homemade hummus. That’s why I still haven’t found one I truly love.

Moni'sMeals December 5, 2010

Lovely Hummus recipe, thanks!

No fear Angela! You are going to win the Profect Food Blog Challenge. :)

Halley (Blunder Construction) December 5, 2010

Mmmm, looks delicious! What to do if you wind up with too much hummus? (as if that is possible) Do you think it’s freezer friendly?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010

I was wondering this myself…anyone know?

you could also make a half batch too

AGS December 5, 2010

I find that the more oil/tahina, the better it keeps in the freezer. More water translates to it breaking down when you later defrost it.

Melinda December 5, 2010

The hummus looks really good. My step dad’s mom makes the best hummus ever, but I think this is because she is from Egypt, so it is supper authentic. She makes the best falafel too.

My shopping is done because Hanukkah is half way over already. It was not be a good thing if I did not have my presents in order.

gabriella @ embracement December 5, 2010

Homemade hummus is so quick and easy and I love that you can change the whole flavor up with just one ingredient!

Hillary December 5, 2010

1) Congratulations on PFB! You are awesome!
2) Do you know when you’ll have more holiday variety packs available? You were right, they sold out fast! I’d love to get some for Christmas this year!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

I will have to see if I can get caught up first :) Not sure yet

Violetta Maria December 5, 2010

That hummus looks amazing…… but not nearly as amazing as the glow bar holiday pack…. which was sold out when I went to buy it today at 1:15 (central). I want one more than anything, there isnt any chance you forgot about one and you wan to sell it to me :-) pleeeaassseee! Ps on a side note made the snicker doodels and brought them to work yeasterday where I am the only vegan and everyone loved them, I made 3 x the recipie and it was gone by noon. They were amazing, and they helped me show my work friends that being vegan doesn’t mean giving up all yummy food for ever! Your recipies are the best!!

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle December 5, 2010

that hummus looks amazing!!!

AGS December 5, 2010

That’s almost exactly how I make hummus. I very much prefer making my own — and every time I make it, I think “I can’t believe how easy this is!” ;) Happy eating!

Natalia - a side of simple December 5, 2010

Congratulations on advancing with Foodbuzz! You can already count on my vote ;)

Allison December 5, 2010

I just made this recipe — it was awesome! I used some leftover bean and garlic mixture from your High Protein Mashed Potatoes I made yesterday (which were also awesome!), and it worked great. Just a suggestion for anyone else who ended up with too many beans!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010

thats a great idea!

Kirsten Nikol December 5, 2010

I tried making your recipe for the humus that changed everything, and it was A-MA-ZING!!! me and my family had it with some toasted baguette slices :) even my dad, who hates humus, loved it!!! i want to save this recipe and have my friends try it too!! :) thank you so much for putting your cooking online for us to see!!

Page 2 of 4«1234»