Virtual Food Bank Party!

If you were reading OSG this time last year, you might remember that I signed up with an organization called Project Feed Me as a way to rally myself and others to donate food items to local food banks.

It was a big success with many of you participating and donating whatever food items you could.

To participate in this Virtual Food Bank Party all you have to do is commit to donating food items to one of your local food banks.

It can be as much or as little as you want from a can of beans to a couple boxes of food. Even just 1 item makes a difference to those who need it.

Here is how you can participate:

1) Find a local food shelter near you:

If you are in Canada try Food Banking.

If you are in the US try Feeding America.

If you are in the UK try The Trussell Trust.

If you cannot find a local food bank via those means, try searching: ‘[your town name] + food bank’ in Google.

2) Check for a list of most needed food items.

The most needed foods items will vary by food bank. You can also call the food bank and ask what they need.

As an example, a local food bank near me has this list on their website as the ‘most needed items’:

• Beans (Dry or canned)
  • Boxed macaroni & cheese
  • Canned fish and meat
  • Canned fruit and vegetables
  • Canned stew
  • Cereal
  • Dry pasta
  • Juice (boxes or cans)
  • Pasta sauce
  • Peanut butter
  • Rice
  • Snacks (Think nutritious!)
  • Soup (Dry or canned)
  • Toiletries, personal hygiene products, cleaning supplies, and laundry detergent

If you want to know what your local shelter is in need of it is best to call or check their website. Of course, you can also simply give whatever non-perishable food items you currently have in your cupboards too.

3) Drop off your food items to the food bank or a local drop box.

Drop boxes can often be found in grocery stores and sometimes Police or Fire stations serve as drop off spots too. Be sure to check the procedure for your food bank.

Today, I will be donating: Flour, cereal, sugar, quinoa, pumpkin, tomato paste, kidney beans, black beans, and a box of tea.

20101123IMG 2809 thumb   Virtual Food Bank Party!

While the challenge is indeed a virtual one and we can’t all be in the same city together, I still think we can make a positive impact and do some good. :)

Let me know if you’d like to join in on the fun!

I will see you around lunchtime for a recipe and fun announcement.

jenna November 23, 2010

i love this idea! i think so many people get caught up in help others…as in foreign countries, that they forget to help out their community first. thanks for the great links.

Also, I think it’s great that you are donating quality foods as well! :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 23, 2010

What a good idea Angela! I know I sometimes seem to “forget” how blessed we are to have to be able to buy groceries regularly, eat well, etc. It makes sense to give back!

Camille November 23, 2010

What a wonderful idea :)
I can’t wait for your big announcement!

Lizzie November 23, 2010

Nice idea Angela – I was actually heading in this direction as the Y gym I go to is running a food drive from now through the middle of December. It only takes a small reminder to pick up a couple of extra items weekly for a couple of weeks as you shop and then put it all together. My problem is remembering! Thanks for the reminder :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 23, 2010

Oooh thanks for the reminder! I’ve been meaning to give a few things to a local food bank for a while now and I think I’ll make a point of doing it this weekend. :D

Sarah November 23, 2010

What a great idea! Thank you for this post. You know, I’d never been on my local food bank website or IN my local food bank. It’s time to change that!

Andrea November 23, 2010

Thanks for reminding us all how important it is to give back to the community. My husband has been laid off for most of this year so I definitely understand how tough times can be. I am fortunate enough to have a great job that keeps us afloat, but times are definitely tougher than usual. I can’t imagine being parents in a family that is struggling to put food on the table for their family. I will definitely be dropping off some food to my local food bank.

I LOVE surprises….can’t wait for your announcement!!!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 23, 2010

What a fabulous idea! We didn’t contribute to a food bank but did sponsor a family from a local co-op by purchasing food and grocery gift cards for them for the holidays. It’s so important to give back. I love doing things for others more than gifts for me me me this time of year. It really makes it all feel more special.

KatieM~Run For The Bikini! November 23, 2010

Awesome, I’m totally in! I donated some cans to my son’s school for local families, but I can definitely donate more.

Therese November 23, 2010

I’m definitely attending this par-tay! I was at the grocery store on Sunday and commented to my boyfriend that I wanted to donate a few items (but not the store’s pre-packaged donation items as they’re full of horribly bad food). I’ll be gathering my food shortly!

Kim November 23, 2010

What is the backdrop behind you in the photo on your opening page?

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty November 23, 2010

Hey Ang,
This is such a great idea!!

A thought that was brought up in my social work program is there are MANY diabetics that get food from the food bank and that most of the foods given are not diabetic friendly. (white pasta, white rice etc). Just a thought, when I heard about that I had a light bulb moment!! ;)

I will do this for sure!

Kelly Michelle November 23, 2010

I grew up in a family that not only donated to the food banks but volunteered there as well so it is just second nature to me. One tip for giving (quality items- not Ramen Noodles!!) throughout the year is to stock up on extras of stuff when you see really good sales or coupons. Buy some for the food bank and put it aside til you collect some more stuff and then you can give a load of quality food every so often and not spend too much.

Of course, not everyone can afford to do so. If you can’t give the food banks are always looking people to sort food and food shelters are always looking for people to help there. Giving time counts too and makes for a fun Sat morn even if you grab a friend or two.

Nicole November 23, 2010

I just donated this weekend! I went through the pantry and purged a bunch of stuff that I was hoarding specifically for this purpose.

Katy @ A Healthy Shot November 23, 2010

Great idea Angela! I love that you are donating quality foods. Through my church I volunteer at a local food bank and it’s sad to see most of the food options. Thanks for bringing attention to an important cause!

anonymous November 23, 2010

Great idea! I love giving to food banks, it makes me feel good :) Wow! I am so corny.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans November 23, 2010

Amazing idea Angela!! I organize an annual food drive in my office and I love that this will unite people from all different areas to come together for a great cause. Well done :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 23, 2010

We always do this for our food bank and church! I usually start so late though and don’t grab everything I can. Thanks for the reminder!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' November 23, 2010

What a great idea! I actually just threw together a huge bag of clothing to donate, so I think I’ll find some food to donate as well! I love that you’re donating such high-quality foods, too!

Thanks for the reminder!

Leanne @ simplicitlee November 23, 2010

This year I am buying new toys to give to Santa’s Annonymous (I don’t know if they have something similar in Ontario or not!) but it’s an awesome charity where they give kids who can’t afford Christmas ( :( ) brand spankin’ new toys on Christmas morning. Volunteers sign up and deliver them to houses all over the city!

My fiance and I have talked a ton about donating food once a week when we do our grocery shop. I really think that it’s important to do those little things throughout the year, and this weekend I am going to start DOING what I’ve been thinking of doing. A couple cans of soup/chili won’t kill my budget, but it will make a big difference to someone in need.

:) have a wonderful day.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2010

Thanks for reminding me about the toy donations..I donated some toys a few years back, but I would like to do it again this year.

anonymous November 23, 2010

Oh, I love donating toys! It makes me realize how spoiled I really am. Have a beautiful day everyone :D

Melissa November 23, 2010

What a great idea! My family and I just bought Thanksgiving Day meals for a few families in our area. I thought it was interesting that they are in need of items other than food… I will donate those items, as well, as I think most people overlook them.

Shanna November 23, 2010

Thank you for sharing what this holiday is really about — you rock!

Healthy_Chocoholic November 23, 2010

That is a wonderful idea!!! I will definitely donate some food items here, My parents are missionaries and we operate a food bank where we work, so I know just how much it means to people who recieve the food. Also, it just feels great to give something to someone who needs it, doesn’t it?

Amber K November 23, 2010

I donate food through my church’s food drive. I also try and do it throughout the year, and not just during the holidays! People are hungry EVERY day!

Leia November 23, 2010

This is awesome :) well done, you! My family and I try to donate to the needy whenever we possibly can :)

Kerry November 23, 2010

I love the idea! I totally agree with “One of my goals is to start donating food on a regular basis (not only during the holidays, although the holidays are good reminders).”
I found I was donating only around the holidays and decided to change this with one easy step! I grocery shop every Friday or Saturday (love grocery shopping!) and every week I buy one item to donate to the food bank and drop it in the bin on the way out. All of our grocery stores in my city have bins at the exit for the food bank – nice and simple!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2010

that is a great idea!

Kayley November 23, 2010

Great post Angela! People can also check out Food Banks Canada’s website to find the closest food bank to their area to donate. The site also provides ways to get involved outside of food donations.

Charlie November 23, 2010

I love this idea! I’m actually donating food and children books for my school’s Christmas baskets.

Halley (Blunder Construction) November 23, 2010

I’m moving in a week or two, and I’ve found that this is a perfect time of year to do so. All the extra clothes and pantry goods I’ve rounded up will go to one of the many clothing/food drives in town.

Moni'sMeals November 23, 2010

Great idea and yes I would love to help, I donate and volunteer as much as I can and I agree that I want to do ALL year around.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 23, 2010

In middle school my campus ministry brought a group of us to a food bank once a week, so that everyone went once a month. We’d have contests among the grades to see who could bring in the most food each week!! It really is such an easy way to help those in need. Seeing how happy the people who came into the food bank were to receive their groceries always left such an impression on me.

Mandiee November 23, 2010

Great idea! Food drives aren’t just for schools or organizations anymore. I think it’s great that you are giving some “healthier” items so that the receivers will have some wholesome options. Us healthy living bloggers have learned how to live healthier lives, but it’s important to share what we know. Every little bit counts! [I'm in!]

Have a lovely day!
xox

Roz November 23, 2010

Great Reminder! I buy an extra non perishable item or two every time I’m at the grocery store and put it in the bins there before I leave. It’s not much, but I’d like to think over the year I manage to help out some people who are less fortunate.

Jess November 23, 2010

Angela –
What a great idea! Just another thought for all the generous commenters – even though donating food is a really tangible way of feeling like you’ve made a difference often a monetary donation is more powerful for the foodbank. They can often get better deals on food than you as an individual purchaser might. They can also use it to buy whichever items in their inventory are lowest at any given time.

Paula November 23, 2010

Awesomeness! Great idea Angela!

I’m excited to be participating this year in a fundraiser for a local food bank through my yoga studio. They had the brilliant idea of doing a yogathon :) did you ever do jog-a-thons in elementary school? They offered participants a super reduced unlimited monthly rate, and the more classes we go to, the more the food bank gets. We get sponsors to pledge either a flat rate or some amount per class we go to. My parents pledged $2 per class, so if I make it to class 20 times that’s 40 bucks!

Jennie November 23, 2010

I have two bags of pasta and beans in the truck! I found out that the kitchen at my local Canadian Mental Health Services was running low on everything so got everyone at work to bring items. We’re taking it down on Friday : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2010

whohoo!

Jessica Engel November 23, 2010

We are definitely participating!! Thank you for spreading the word of need :)!!

Taryn November 23, 2010

I’m curious….what is your FAVORITE lens to use while doing food photography? I’m currently going to school for Photography, and I’d love to know which lens you like best!! Which by the way-your pictures are always stunning!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2010

My fav lens is the only one Ive ever used ;)

Canon 50mm 1.4 macro

Katy @ A Healthy Shot November 23, 2010

Just wanted to let you know that this post really inspired me this morning & I’m now organizing a neighborhood Turkey Trot… in lieu of a registration, we’re taking a free-will donation to our local food pantry. I’m hoping to inspire some of my readers to do the same through a ‘virtual’ Turkey Trot as well :)

Lauren November 23, 2010

Great idea! At our church, we have a food basket that people can donate to and anyone can come take food out of it. We also have a Saturday morning breakfast for homeless or low-income people who want breakfast!

Page 1 of 212»