Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

20101123IMG 2895 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Today on Twitter I asked you, what recipe would you like to see today: Mac ‘n cheese or sugar cookies?

About 60-70% said mac ‘n cheese, so here it is!

Sugar cookies are coming on up. :)

I also have a fun blog feature to tell you about. From now until the end of the holiday season, I will be featuring one holiday cookie recipe per week. If you have any favourite Christmas cookies or other cookies that you’d like me to make, leave a comment and let me know!

This week I have had a huge, huge, huge craving for mac ‘n cheese.

All it took was seeing a picture on a website and it was all I could think about.

Each time I was eating something else, my mind would wander to mac ‘n cheese, secretly hoping and wishing that my food would magically transform.

That creamy, delicious, savoury, comforting goodness.

Experience tells me that my craving would not go away until I satisfied it.

This week, I got to work testing out a few vegan mac ‘n cheese recipes. One was a dud, one was pretty good, and this one that I am sharing today is all kinds of awesome.

This is an intensely creamy and decadent baked mac ‘n cheese. It has a lot of flavour and 4 vegetables hiding inside, but no one will ever be the wiser!

When I taste recipes like this I know that I can eat a vegan diet forever and not feel like I am missing out on anything.

That is a great feeling!

20101123IMG 2878 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Baked Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese (revised)

First up, peel and chop those glorious veggies! Who knew mac ‘n cheese could have veggies hiding in there?

20101123IMG 2812 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now boil your veggies and cook until tender.

Take a slice of bread and process with 1 tbsp of Earth Balance (or butter).

20101123IMG 2848 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Nibble.

Set aside and hide from yourself because bread + butter is goooooood.

Gather up your cheese sauce ingredients:

20101123IMG 2816 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Process together:

20101123IMG 2828 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

I tasted it and decided it would be awesome with 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast and another garlic clove. You don’t need the yeast to make this dish, but it made it a bit cheesier tasting! You can pick up some nutritional yeast at bulk food stores.

Once cooked, drain and rinse veggies with cold water.

20101123IMG 2830 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Add veggies to cheese sauce and process:

20101123IMG 2844 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

The carrots give it a nice cheese-like colour!

Now cook your pasta. I used whole wheat Rotini for a kick of fibre (7 grams of fibre per serving!).

20101123IMG 2837 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 8 minutes.

In a large bowl add your drained pasta and mix with the cheese sauce…it will be insanely thick and creamy!!!

20101123IMG 2850 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Oh dear me.

20101123IMG 2856 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

A few spoonfuls did not make it into the casserole dish. ;)

Now pour into casserole dish.

20101123IMG 2857 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Mmmmmm.

20101123IMG 2859 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

20101123IMG 2864 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Garnish with paprika.

20101123IMG 2867 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

20101123IMG 2878 thumb1   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

The result is a crispy exterior with a creamy and rich interior. The cheesy taste reminds me a lot of an Alfredo sauce.

Cool for 10 minutes before serving. If you succeed at this, let me know how you did it! ;)

20101123IMG 2901 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Dig in!

20101123IMG 2903 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

20101123IMG 2895 thumb1   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Enjoy your completely vegan mac ‘n cheese that is not only delicious, but is filled with healthy fats, veggies, fibre, and pure comfort on a chilly day. :)

I have made a vegan mac ‘n cheese before, but I prefer this one as my last attempt was a bit heavy on the nutritional yeast and I like that this one incorporates veggies.

20101123IMG 2900 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now that my glycogen stores are full, I think I am going to go have a kick butt run outside in this beautiful sunshine. You know what they say, ‘eat pasta, run fasta!’

20101123IMG 2904 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Have you had any cravings this week? What are they for?

My three cravings this week have been: Chocolate, mac ‘n cheese, and salads. I have satisfied all, but the salad part. Oops.

Deb April 11, 2012

Looks great, can’t wait to try it! This week I craved cinnamon rolls and came up with my own pretty good version of Dave’s Sin Dog (if you haven’t tried it, you must! Or make your own.) Roll whole wheat dough as thin as you can into a rectangle. Spread with dried fruit paste (microwave and blend a little water with some dates, raisins and prunes), chopped nuts, seeds, ground flax seed and cinnamon. Roll up tightly, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and bake on a cookie sheet. I made mine in the shape of a ring for Easter… Oh, and though it’s fun to fulfill our cravings in a healthy way, don’t forget: “Salad is the main dish!”

Amie Simmons May 29, 2012

This is incredible! You are such a talented chef. My newly vegan husband loved it and my 2 year old said it was better than her favorite box Mac n cheese. You’re converting my whole family!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

:) That is so great to hear Amie!

Amie Simmons May 29, 2012

I was also wondering if you thought I could make batches of the cheese sauce before hand and freeze?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

Im not sure to be honest. I would suggest reading through the end of the comments and see if someone else has tried it out!

Lauren June 9, 2012

Just made this and it is AMAZING!!! I literally cannot stop eating it….I’m waiting for my cheese loving family members to try it and get a non-Vegan response. Would love to incorporate different veggies next time, squash seems like a fan favorite any others to recommend?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2012

what about carrots or potatoes?

Birgitte August 25, 2012

Made it this evening for my very anti-vegan parents, who loved it! Thank you so much for the recipe! :D

Sam September 7, 2012

Hi! Just wondering, do you think this would work with sweet potato?

Julie November 14, 2012

How long will the sauce keep in the fridge?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2012

Hi Julie, It should keep for 2-3 days?

Desiree November 19, 2012

How many servings is this recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 19, 2012

Hi Desiree, it should serve 4-6.

Stephanie March 23, 2013

Oh my gosh, this dish is ridiculously amazing!!! I made it for my meat loving boyfriend last week and I’m pretty sure he ate about half of the dish. I know I am late on the commenting for this, but I am new to your site and have so many wonderful things bookmarked that I am so excited to try:)

Indranie Dabideen September 12, 2013

Made this last night, awesome, the sauce is excellent, unfortunately some did not make it to the casserole; did add more milk to make it lighter and swapped the bread and butter for panko and olive oil. Also added cauliflower florets to the pasta at the end so it got steamed before adding the cheese sauce. Love vegetables so really no need to hide it. Will definitely make this again, my Mom who eats diary loves it and did not realize it was vegan until I said so.

Indranie Dabideen September 12, 2013

Opps, I mean dairy not diary, lol

Dee October 30, 2013

This was THE BEST mac and cheese recipe!! It was easy to make and the directions were perfect. I added a bit of extra almond milk as you suggested, and it made enough extra creamy “cheese” sauce that I plan on using it for some other (pms inspired) vegan treat. This site is the best resource I know for really amazing vegan recipes. You’re the bomb!

dawn January 3, 2014

Do you use flaked or powdered nutritional yeast in your recipes…I’m new to this way of cooking / eating…loving all these recipes!!

Knute February 12, 2014

Love mac and cheese. Also like red beans and rice. Sometimes I merge the two, swapping brown rice for the pasta and throwing the beans in with the cheese. It’s like giving your mouth a big hug…

Brittany February 21, 2014

I made this the other night, just the way you have the recipe here.. and it was AMAZING. I have been pesco vegan for a little over a year now, and I am more proud of this mac n’ cheese than anything else I have tried to cook. Thank you for this wonderful recipe! It has given me more hope in my vegan cooking journey. <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2014

I’m so happy to hear that Brittany!

Amy March 24, 2014

Both my husband and I LOVE this mac & cheese. I made a bit of extra sauce this time, do you have any suggestions for what else I could use it for? Thanks! Amy

Michael March 30, 2014

Hi Amy. I love this recipe too and always make extra sauce. When the sauce is very thick, I use it in lasagna and when it’s medium to thin, I use it mixed with a tomato sauce over pasta. It works well as an alfredo sauce with fettuccine noodles and can be used to do cheesy vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, etc).

I’m sure you could probably also use it in casseroles calling for cheese such as a hashbrown casserole. It’s a very versatile sauce!

Janet March 26, 2014

Thanks for this recipe! I have been starting to research how to stop cooking with dairy recently. Not because I’ve chosen the vegan lifestyle, but because my 4 month old was diagnosed with Galactosemia (so bye-bye all dairy and processed foods!) and my 7 year old autistic daughter can’t live without her mac & cheese. I just can’t make different meals for each child, I’ll go crazy! And seriously, who don’t love the hidden veggies! Can’t wait to try this!

Janet March 26, 2014

That was supposed to say *without dairy

Allie April 3, 2014

Thank you for this recipe!!!!! It just made it, and I think there was a little too much lemon so I would have probably put 1 tbsp less. Otherwise it was delicious!!! Ate more than my stomach would normally be capable of holding. Thanks again!!

Page 4 of 4«1234