Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

20101123IMG 2895 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Today on Twitter I asked you, what recipe would you like to see today: Mac ‘n cheese or sugar cookies?

About 60-70% said mac ‘n cheese, so here it is!

Sugar cookies are coming on up. :)

I also have a fun blog feature to tell you about. From now until the end of the holiday season, I will be featuring one holiday cookie recipe per week. If you have any favourite Christmas cookies or other cookies that you’d like me to make, leave a comment and let me know!

This week I have had a huge, huge, huge craving for mac ‘n cheese.

All it took was seeing a picture on a website and it was all I could think about.

Each time I was eating something else, my mind would wander to mac ‘n cheese, secretly hoping and wishing that my food would magically transform.

That creamy, delicious, savoury, comforting goodness.

Experience tells me that my craving would not go away until I satisfied it.

This week, I got to work testing out a few vegan mac ‘n cheese recipes. One was a dud, one was pretty good, and this one that I am sharing today is all kinds of awesome.

This is an intensely creamy and decadent baked mac ‘n cheese. It has a lot of flavour and 4 vegetables hiding inside, but no one will ever be the wiser!

When I taste recipes like this I know that I can eat a vegan diet forever and not feel like I am missing out on anything.

That is a great feeling!

20101123IMG 2878 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Baked Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese (revised)

First up, peel and chop those glorious veggies! Who knew mac ‘n cheese could have veggies hiding in there?

20101123IMG 2812 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now boil your veggies and cook until tender.

Take a slice of bread and process with 1 tbsp of Earth Balance (or butter).

20101123IMG 2848 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Nibble.

Set aside and hide from yourself because bread + butter is goooooood.

Gather up your cheese sauce ingredients:

20101123IMG 2816 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Process together:

20101123IMG 2828 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

I tasted it and decided it would be awesome with 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast and another garlic clove. You don’t need the yeast to make this dish, but it made it a bit cheesier tasting! You can pick up some nutritional yeast at bulk food stores.

Once cooked, drain and rinse veggies with cold water.

20101123IMG 2830 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Add veggies to cheese sauce and process:

20101123IMG 2844 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

The carrots give it a nice cheese-like colour!

Now cook your pasta. I used whole wheat Rotini for a kick of fibre (7 grams of fibre per serving!).

20101123IMG 2837 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 8 minutes.

In a large bowl add your drained pasta and mix with the cheese sauce…it will be insanely thick and creamy!!!

20101123IMG 2850 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Oh dear me.

20101123IMG 2856 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

A few spoonfuls did not make it into the casserole dish. ;)

Now pour into casserole dish.

20101123IMG 2857 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Mmmmmm.

20101123IMG 2859 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

20101123IMG 2864 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Garnish with paprika.

20101123IMG 2867 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

20101123IMG 2878 thumb1   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

The result is a crispy exterior with a creamy and rich interior. The cheesy taste reminds me a lot of an Alfredo sauce.

Cool for 10 minutes before serving. If you succeed at this, let me know how you did it! ;)

20101123IMG 2901 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Dig in!

20101123IMG 2903 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

20101123IMG 2895 thumb1   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Enjoy your completely vegan mac ‘n cheese that is not only delicious, but is filled with healthy fats, veggies, fibre, and pure comfort on a chilly day. :)

I have made a vegan mac ‘n cheese before, but I prefer this one as my last attempt was a bit heavy on the nutritional yeast and I like that this one incorporates veggies.

20101123IMG 2900 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now that my glycogen stores are full, I think I am going to go have a kick butt run outside in this beautiful sunshine. You know what they say, ‘eat pasta, run fasta!’

20101123IMG 2904 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Have you had any cravings this week? What are they for?

My three cravings this week have been: Chocolate, mac ‘n cheese, and salads. I have satisfied all, but the salad part. Oops.

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA November 23, 2010

This looks so good! And I love that it incorporates veggies. I am weird in that I love every vegan mac and cheese recipe I’ve ever tried. Love.

I was craving seitan this weekend so I had a fair amount. It was delicious!!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined November 23, 2010

Wow! This is such a great idea! Veggies and nuts in the cheesey sauce- brilliant!!

Camille November 23, 2010

I wouldn’t have thought that vegan mac and cheese could be possible! Especially a version that looks so delicious! Mad props :)

Embodying Freedom November 23, 2010

BIGGEST cravings for this Japanese jelly candy & sushi. Which I took care of yesterday with a trip to the Asian supermarket. Also, you should create a toffee cookie recipe,if you were looking for suggestions!

Katy (The Singing Runner) November 23, 2010

I am not a big mac ‘n cheese fan (I know, I know!), but I am interested in trying this.

Gwen November 23, 2010

My coworker told me about your blog, and mac and cheese sounded like a great dinner idea. It is amazing, even my fiance (a huge meat eater that doesn’t even like mac and cheese!) really liked it. I did hesitate last minute and added a half cup of cheddar cheese before I put it in the oven. I think it would have turned out just as great if I hadn’t added it. The breadcrumbs are a delicious topping.

Also, your pictures are amazing, I love that I can see what things should look like at each stage!

Renata November 23, 2010

Hiya – this looks great. What might you suggest if someone is allergic to cashews?

Nicole November 23, 2010

Umm… YUM!!!!!

Ashley November 23, 2010

Well now I’m craving this. Do you think roasted cashews could be used instead of raw?

Lia November 24, 2010

I find that raw cashews cream better when processed than roasted, though the depth of the flavour would be an interesting addition mmmmm

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed November 23, 2010

Yum!! I’m looking forward to your festive cookie series too :) my cravings this week were for grilled chicken breast + roasted potatoes and pumpkin. Not satisfied yet as it is too hot to turn the oven on!! (dare i say :))
Heidi xo

Amy at TheSceneFromMe November 23, 2010

My cravings this week:chickpeas and white chocolate.
I’ve made parmesan crisped chickpeas and white chocolate cherry shortbread!
I’ve posted the shortbread recipe and will post the chickpea recipe tomorrow.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Ellen@FirednFabulous November 24, 2010

I love yummy foods that sneak in veggies. And cashews….I never would have thought to put that in mac ‘n’ cheese, but I love it! I’ve been craving EGGS recently…well, I always want to eat eggs.

Lia November 24, 2010

You answered my unspoken prayers! I love that so many asked for vegan mac n’ cheese! This is probably the first time or MAYBE second time I posted a comment in my 1.5 years of reading your blog, that’s how excited I am about this recipe! Thank you!

Sarah November 24, 2010

Hi Angela

I’m really looking forward to your cookie recipes!

One question: what brandof coconut do you use for cooking? Have you heard about Garden of Life?

Thanks!

Sarah

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2010

I buy organic unsweetened in bulk 25 lb bags…i cant remember the brand name off the top of my head. I think it is ONFC.

Balanced Healthy Life November 24, 2010

This recipe looks great! I can’t wait to try it out and see if it’s Husband approved! : )

Laura November 24, 2010

Oh my, I have had this recipe bookmarked from VegNews for such a long time, and now that it is Angela approved I will definitely have to try it out!!

Tamara November 24, 2010

Wow, that looks and sounds spectacular, Angela! Thanks for sharing. :)

Steph November 24, 2010

I made this just now! It was amazing… My meat eating boyfriend loved it too. Some tweaks I made were:
- I caramelised the onion and left the pieces whole and mixed them through
- I added more almond milk to make the sauce more saucy
- I added cooked small pieces of cauliflower and mixed it In with the pasta.

Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Katie November 24, 2010

Oh my gosh, that looks amazing! I may have to make that for my boyfriend here soon! :)

I’ve been craving organic eggs for some reason. I’ve had two for breakfast each morning (in addition to a cinnamon raisin english muffin with butter). Organic eggs taste SO MUCH BETTER than the cheapo stuff. I don’t eat eggs often and have two left, so once this batch is gone, I probably won’t eat them for awhile – in turn hopefully balancing my cholesterol a bit! ;)

Anastasia November 24, 2010

Yummy :p looks devine! I’ve never heard of cooking pasta that way…I always boil the water first…do you find it makes a difference?

Thanks!

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside November 24, 2010

Ahhhh, thank you thank you thank you for posting this- finally, a mac n cheese recipe I KNOW I can trust!

Stephanie November 24, 2010

Ok, so when is the Oh She Glows cookbook gonna come out because I am so ready to buy! (note: that’s just a wish for now)

Whitney @ Blooming Significance November 24, 2010

I made this last night! It was wonderful :)

Jessica M November 24, 2010

Yummm. I love this dish. I will have to make it soon.

I am making your loaf, potatoes, rolls and spice cake for Thanksgiving dinner. Thank you so much for the recipes!!! I may add mac and cheez to the list… oh my we are going to have lots of leftovers.

Hannah November 24, 2010

My sister and I just made this in the midst of all our Thanksgiving cooking—the two of us ate the whole thing!! It was delicious, and will definitely be made again in the very very near future…like tomorrow! :)

Angie November 24, 2010

I made this for dinner last night, and it was wonderful! Absolutely the best vegan mac ‘n cheese I’ve had. Thanks for all your fantastic recipes!!

Lauren November 24, 2010

Oh WOW I have got to try this!! I make your other mac and cheese all the time so if this is even better I can’t wait to make it!

Dee November 24, 2010

Oh.my.gosh! Wow. This looks SO amazing!

erin B. @ Laugh, sweat, love and be vegan! November 24, 2010

omg SUGAR COOKIES!!!!!!! They are so simple yet so delicious!! I have been on the hunt for THE perfect sugar cookie recipe, but have yet to find one!! I like mine to be slightly crunchy on the outside but nice and moist and chewy on the inside with a delicious vanilla flavour. I wish I could find a healthy yet delicious version…… if you feel like you would like to take on this challenge I would love you even more than I already do!!! Lol

Leigh November 25, 2010

I made a gluten free version of this, with Udis bread and quinoa rotini. It was awesome! Thanks for the recipe! I also added more pureed vegetables, since I was making it for my young kids.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty November 28, 2010

I’m making this right now… the sauce is soooooooooooo good!!

Danielle December 2, 2010

Yum! Looks good! I’ll definitely be trying this one.

Sohara December 3, 2010

Ahhh! I have got to try this when I get home. The only thing I’m missing is a potato; I’ll have to see what I can scrounge up. Looks so unearthly good!

Chinye December 4, 2010

Just wanted to come in and let you know I made this dish for dinner. Absolutely AMAZING! I used soy milk instead of almond milk and used almost 3 cups instead of one to make it really really moist. Thanks for the post!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2010

glad to hear this!!

Melanie December 5, 2010

Made this for dinner tonight. It’s so good. Hubby is down watching football so I haven’t gotten his reaction yet, and my son is out with his friends. I hope they (non-vegans) like it as much as I did!! Thanks!!

Kara December 5, 2010

Seriously?! This tasted even better than I imagined! And that is a very dangerous thing ;). Thanks so much! Your blog is so great.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010

glad to hear this!

Kate December 9, 2010

Best mac and cheese recipe I’ve tried (and I’ve tried a lot!). Even my omnivorous family loved it :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010

whoooo!

SallyH December 11, 2010

Oh goodness! Just popped this into the oven…and then used flax crackers and my fingers to clean out the food processor bowl. Yum! I overdid the lemon a bit though, I think, as it tastes more like hummus than mac & cheese. That’s ok though — lemon cashew cream sauce over noodles works too!

SallyH December 13, 2010

Question for you: Would there be any problem with not baking this at all? I found that baking dried out and muted the sauce while I loved the creaminess and punch of the sauce before baking.

Liz December 17, 2010

This was really delicious — nice and creamy and the bread crumbs provide a nice crunch! I used my Vitamix since I don’t have a food processor and it worked really well (used a chopper for the bread crumbs). Thanks for the great recipe!

Page 3 of 4«1234»