Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

20101123IMG 2895 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Today on Twitter I asked you, what recipe would you like to see today: Mac ‘n cheese or sugar cookies?

About 60-70% said mac ‘n cheese, so here it is!

Sugar cookies are coming on up. :)

I also have a fun blog feature to tell you about. From now until the end of the holiday season, I will be featuring one holiday cookie recipe per week. If you have any favourite Christmas cookies or other cookies that you’d like me to make, leave a comment and let me know!

This week I have had a huge, huge, huge craving for mac ‘n cheese.

All it took was seeing a picture on a website and it was all I could think about.

Each time I was eating something else, my mind would wander to mac ‘n cheese, secretly hoping and wishing that my food would magically transform.

That creamy, delicious, savoury, comforting goodness.

Experience tells me that my craving would not go away until I satisfied it.

This week, I got to work testing out a few vegan mac ‘n cheese recipes. One was a dud, one was pretty good, and this one that I am sharing today is all kinds of awesome.

This is an intensely creamy and decadent baked mac ‘n cheese. It has a lot of flavour and 4 vegetables hiding inside, but no one will ever be the wiser!

When I taste recipes like this I know that I can eat a vegan diet forever and not feel like I am missing out on anything.

That is a great feeling!

20101123IMG 2878 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Baked Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese (revised)

First up, peel and chop those glorious veggies! Who knew mac ‘n cheese could have veggies hiding in there?

20101123IMG 2812 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now boil your veggies and cook until tender.

Take a slice of bread and process with 1 tbsp of Earth Balance (or butter).

20101123IMG 2848 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Nibble.

Set aside and hide from yourself because bread + butter is goooooood.

Gather up your cheese sauce ingredients:

20101123IMG 2816 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Process together:

20101123IMG 2828 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

I tasted it and decided it would be awesome with 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast and another garlic clove. You don’t need the yeast to make this dish, but it made it a bit cheesier tasting! You can pick up some nutritional yeast at bulk food stores.

Once cooked, drain and rinse veggies with cold water.

20101123IMG 2830 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Add veggies to cheese sauce and process:

20101123IMG 2844 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

The carrots give it a nice cheese-like colour!

Now cook your pasta. I used whole wheat Rotini for a kick of fibre (7 grams of fibre per serving!).

20101123IMG 2837 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 8 minutes.

In a large bowl add your drained pasta and mix with the cheese sauce…it will be insanely thick and creamy!!!

20101123IMG 2850 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Oh dear me.

20101123IMG 2856 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

A few spoonfuls did not make it into the casserole dish. ;)

Now pour into casserole dish.

20101123IMG 2857 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Mmmmmm.

20101123IMG 2859 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

20101123IMG 2864 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Garnish with paprika.

20101123IMG 2867 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

20101123IMG 2878 thumb1   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

The result is a crispy exterior with a creamy and rich interior. The cheesy taste reminds me a lot of an Alfredo sauce.

Cool for 10 minutes before serving. If you succeed at this, let me know how you did it! ;)

20101123IMG 2901 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Dig in!

20101123IMG 2903 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

20101123IMG 2895 thumb1   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Enjoy your completely vegan mac ‘n cheese that is not only delicious, but is filled with healthy fats, veggies, fibre, and pure comfort on a chilly day. :)

I have made a vegan mac ‘n cheese before, but I prefer this one as my last attempt was a bit heavy on the nutritional yeast and I like that this one incorporates veggies.

20101123IMG 2900 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now that my glycogen stores are full, I think I am going to go have a kick butt run outside in this beautiful sunshine. You know what they say, ‘eat pasta, run fasta!’

20101123IMG 2904 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Have you had any cravings this week? What are they for?

My three cravings this week have been: Chocolate, mac ‘n cheese, and salads. I have satisfied all, but the salad part. Oops.

jodye @ 'scend food November 23, 2010

This mac and cheese looks so so good. I love that your cheese sauce is so different from other recipes I’ve used in the past. Way to go with the veggies! I’ll definitely have to try this out soon!

Nichole November 23, 2010

I love me some mac n cheeze. Yours looks yummy. Lolo from Veganyumyum also made an adaptation of this recipe from VegNews. Hers is my absolute favorite (I just change to amount of EB to 2 tablespoons, then thin with soymilk to desired consistency), I love the broccoli in there. Crazy that even more veggies can be added and it still tastes amazing!

The Veganyumyum recipe: http://veganyumyum.com/2009/01/mac-cheeze-take-2/

alexa @ Sohdalex November 23, 2010

YUM! Nothing better then a good mac n’ cheese ;)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables November 23, 2010

I made vegan mac n cheese last night! But this looks even more elaborate! :)

Stacey @770sportshop November 23, 2010

Yummy Yummy! You are so dedicated in documenting every step of the way! Thank you so much! Can’t wait to try it out!!

Halley (Blunder Construction) November 23, 2010

I really am so excited you shared this recipe! What is the key ingredient in the cheese sauce that makes it “cheesy”? Is it the nutritional yeast? I don’t have that in my pantry, but I would totally invest if it was necessary to bring this dish into my life!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2010

the cashews make it very creamy, the nooch gives it a bit of cheesy flavaaaa

Sara November 23, 2010

If you could make some sort of delicious chocolate peppermint cookie, I’ll sing your praises for the rest of my life!$! :D

Rachel November 23, 2010
Sara November 23, 2010

HELL YEA. Thanks, Rachel! ;)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 23, 2010

This looks so good Angela — I like that it is not a ton of nooch and has some veggies in there too. I will definitely have to make this!

Lauren November 23, 2010

Mmm, that looks very yummy! :)

Kris November 23, 2010

Oh.my.goodness! This look fantastic and Mac n Cheese was a fave of mine growing up…..slathered with ketchup of course ;)

This looks very hearty, creamy and good :)

Can’t wait to see the sugar cookie recipe! i have been working on mastering this for a while now ;)

xxoo

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 23, 2010

Certainly not a Kraft mac n cheese from the box with powdered cheese recipe like I grew up on…haha!

This looks marvelous, Angela! Job well done…cashews, nooch, veggies..pretty much can’t go wrong with that!

Anything Ive had a craving for this week? Yes: More Sleep and more than 24 hrs in a day to get everything done!!! :)

Rebecca November 23, 2010

This week I have been craving mashed potatoe. For dinner last night I made a big bowl, it was yummy. One of my favorite Christmas cookie is gingerbread men.

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker November 23, 2010

Yum! Actually, I’m so thrilled you posted this. I’ve made vegan mac ‘n cheese in the past, but like you wrote — too heavy on the nutritional yeast (there CAN be too much of a good thing, right?). Looking forward to trying this out!

Shanna November 23, 2010

I’m totally craving pizza this week..lots and lots of it =)

Charlie November 23, 2010

This mac n cheese looks so good! And healthier too ;).

Hillary November 23, 2010

Yum!! Please please make Snickerdoodles!!!

Amber K November 23, 2010

I haven’t had mac n’ cheese in forever! Although I am not a fan of baked. I never understood the crunchy mac lovers. It should just be creamy and smooth! But what do I know? lol

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 23, 2010

No joke I was eating Mac n cheese while reading this. I love the hidden veggies in there, i’m so giving it a try soon!

Rachel November 23, 2010

Yum! Can’t wait to make this!

One of my favorite kinds of cookies is oatmeal butterscotch chip! My mom made them all the time when I was little so they’re definitely a past time for me! (Although, I have yet to find vegan/hydrogenated oil free butterscotch chips!)

Charmaine @ Perfectly Picked November 23, 2010

Mine is definitely a bad craving, but one that I haven’t had in a long time (the food that is!) It’s…Chinese food! Spring rolls in particular…there has to be a healthy way to re-create them, though!

anonymous November 23, 2010

oh my! looks amazing! my cravings : mac & cheese and more of your tasty recipes, looks like ive satisfied both :D

Nikki November 23, 2010

Nut kiffels —they are big in the US around Christmas

courtney November 23, 2010

Just last night my boyfriend and I were discussing how we need a good homemade mac n cheese recipe–this one looks like a winner!! Just because I do not own a scale and know nothing about measurements… about how much dry pasta should you use cup-wise?

Also as a side note, I am making your yummy mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving this week, but do you think they will taste good without the garlic? The aforementioned boyfriend swears he is a vampire and is allergic…

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2010

i think it would be fine without garlic…the garlic does give it a nice ‘bite’ and sharpness similar to cheese though.

Meesh November 23, 2010

Wow, that sounds fantastic. I’m not a huge fan of baked mac and cheese, but I love that it has those veggies in it…definitely sounds worth a try!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 23, 2010

Mac and Cheese…the most simple things are always the best!

Jenni November 23, 2010

I would love to give this a try – all of my kids love Mac and cheese and Alfredo, but I don’t like the nutritional value of traditional versions. Plus I have one child who will not eat vegetables, so hiding them is key! Unfortunately this same child is allergic to cashews and peanuts. Any suggestions for an alternative to the cashews? Thanks! Btw, I think your blog is fantastic!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2010

Someone else was wondering the same thing…I’m not sure. The beauty of the cashew is that it has this great creamy texture when processed. You might be able to get away with almonds, but I am not sure how the texture/taste would be. Let me know if you try another nut!

Jen November 23, 2010

Angela, do you think I could do the food processor parts in a blender? I don’t have a food processor and have no desire to buy one (and really no room for another appliance either!) – BUT, I can’t eat cheese, and mac & cheese is one of the things I miss most in my cheese free existence, so I would love to try this recipe. I got embarrassingly excited about it when I first read it on my lunch break at work…until I got to the food processor part, lol.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2010

hmm I think it depends on your blender’s capabilities. I think it would be worth a shot!

Pure2raw Twins November 23, 2010

Mac and cheese looks great! I guess this was on everyone’s minds ;) because we just made some vegan-gluten free mac and cheese for our family tonight!!! It is so nice having something warm and comforting like this knowing it is made without dairy for me since I do not handle dairy well!

Ashley @ the fit academic November 23, 2010

Looks so yum! Wish I’d had the recipe 2 days ago! I just made homemade mac & cheese with a panko-parmesan topping. Yours looks absolutely divine though!

Fanta November 23, 2010

OMG Thank you! Looks soooo good! That’s what was hard for me when I was trying to follow a vegan diet, the cheeze! But this looks great :)

emily November 23, 2010

this looks delicious. do you think the (my) kids will like it?!

Moni'sMeals November 23, 2010

Well Done!

I hope to make this soon.

I crave chocolate and cookies all the time and a nice coffee or tea. :)

Stephanie @ Laugh and Cook November 23, 2010

YUMMY!

Can you make chocolate gingerbread cookies?

Gina November 23, 2010

One cookie recipe a week!? Wowza, I can’t wait for this :)
Love the mac & cheese, sounds comforting and delicious!

Wei-Wei November 23, 2010

Oh, dear, dear, dear me. I think that I would double the breadcrumb mixture and bake it in a shallower pan to get more crispy cheesiness. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle November 23, 2010

Must. make. This. Now. :-)

stacey-healthylife November 23, 2010

You can’t go wrong with mac n cheese.

Liana @ femme fraiche November 23, 2010

Vegan dishes are truly a wonder for me…I’m fascinated that you can replace cheese with the ingredients you listed. And it looks JUST as good as the traditional kind!!
I’m going through a non-craving stage…well, nothing to strong at least. That’s ok, with the holidays coming up my chocolate addiction will be in full swing soon!

Tara November 23, 2010

I would love to see a molasses crinkle cookie. They remind me of my childhood. We used to go to North Carolina and there was a bakery with a delicious spicy, warm molasses cookie, and I haven’t had one in years since it closed.

Kelly Michelle November 23, 2010

LOL your final comment cracked me up

Page 2 of 4«1234»