Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

20101123IMG 2895 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Today on Twitter I asked you, what recipe would you like to see today: Mac ‘n cheese or sugar cookies?

About 60-70% said mac ‘n cheese, so here it is!

Sugar cookies are coming on up. :)

I also have a fun blog feature to tell you about. From now until the end of the holiday season, I will be featuring one holiday cookie recipe per week. If you have any favourite Christmas cookies or other cookies that you’d like me to make, leave a comment and let me know!

This week I have had a huge, huge, huge craving for mac ‘n cheese.

All it took was seeing a picture on a website and it was all I could think about.

Each time I was eating something else, my mind would wander to mac ‘n cheese, secretly hoping and wishing that my food would magically transform.

That creamy, delicious, savoury, comforting goodness.

Experience tells me that my craving would not go away until I satisfied it.

This week, I got to work testing out a few vegan mac ‘n cheese recipes. One was a dud, one was pretty good, and this one that I am sharing today is all kinds of awesome.

This is an intensely creamy and decadent baked mac ‘n cheese. It has a lot of flavour and 4 vegetables hiding inside, but no one will ever be the wiser!

When I taste recipes like this I know that I can eat a vegan diet forever and not feel like I am missing out on anything.

That is a great feeling!

20101123IMG 2878 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Baked Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese (revised)

First up, peel and chop those glorious veggies! Who knew mac ‘n cheese could have veggies hiding in there?

20101123IMG 2812 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now boil your veggies and cook until tender.

Take a slice of bread and process with 1 tbsp of Earth Balance (or butter).

20101123IMG 2848 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Nibble.

Set aside and hide from yourself because bread + butter is goooooood.

Gather up your cheese sauce ingredients:

20101123IMG 2816 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Process together:

20101123IMG 2828 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

I tasted it and decided it would be awesome with 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast and another garlic clove. You don’t need the yeast to make this dish, but it made it a bit cheesier tasting! You can pick up some nutritional yeast at bulk food stores.

Once cooked, drain and rinse veggies with cold water.

20101123IMG 2830 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Add veggies to cheese sauce and process:

20101123IMG 2844 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

The carrots give it a nice cheese-like colour!

Now cook your pasta. I used whole wheat Rotini for a kick of fibre (7 grams of fibre per serving!).

20101123IMG 2837 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 8 minutes.

In a large bowl add your drained pasta and mix with the cheese sauce…it will be insanely thick and creamy!!!

20101123IMG 2850 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Oh dear me.

20101123IMG 2856 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

A few spoonfuls did not make it into the casserole dish. ;)

Now pour into casserole dish.

20101123IMG 2857 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Mmmmmm.

20101123IMG 2859 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

20101123IMG 2864 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Garnish with paprika.

20101123IMG 2867 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

20101123IMG 2878 thumb1   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

The result is a crispy exterior with a creamy and rich interior. The cheesy taste reminds me a lot of an Alfredo sauce.

Cool for 10 minutes before serving. If you succeed at this, let me know how you did it! ;)

20101123IMG 2901 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Dig in!

20101123IMG 2903 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

20101123IMG 2895 thumb1   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Enjoy your completely vegan mac ‘n cheese that is not only delicious, but is filled with healthy fats, veggies, fibre, and pure comfort on a chilly day. :)

I have made a vegan mac ‘n cheese before, but I prefer this one as my last attempt was a bit heavy on the nutritional yeast and I like that this one incorporates veggies.

20101123IMG 2900 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Now that my glycogen stores are full, I think I am going to go have a kick butt run outside in this beautiful sunshine. You know what they say, ‘eat pasta, run fasta!’

20101123IMG 2904 thumb   Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese

Have you had any cravings this week? What are they for?

My three cravings this week have been: Chocolate, mac ‘n cheese, and salads. I have satisfied all, but the salad part. Oops.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 23, 2010

Oh my goodness…this looks simply amazing. The perfect dish for carbo-loading before a long run, right?!? Or for sitting by a warm fire, ha!

Kim November 23, 2010

This looks delicious! I think I might have to make it but by incorporating some butternut squash instead of carrots, or with carrots, the more the merrier, right?!

Thanks for sharing!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 23, 2010

Mac and cheese is my all time favorite comfort dish!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please November 23, 2010

So delicious looking! I like the addition of carrots, onions, and potatoes.. very different sounding! Mac ‘n Cheese is one of my favorite homemade dishes. I can easily have it as an entree instead of a side!

PR_Cal November 23, 2010

What could I sub for the cashews? My boyfriend is allergic to all nuts except peanuts and almonds. Would either of those work? I realllllly want to make this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2010

Im really not sure! Cashews are great because they give that great creamy texture when processed.

Sabrina November 24, 2010

maybe Advocado? I dont know how well Advocado bakes though……..

Erin November 24, 2010

You could try Daiya vegan cheese – it melts like dairy cheese and would make the sauce super creamy too!

Ellie November 24, 2010

heyy! how about tofuuuu?!!! :D

Patsy December 13, 2012

Sorry that this reply is very late, but maybe you could sub soaked sunflower seeds, which is what Isa of The PPK used for a friend with a nut allergy: http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/sunflower-mac/. I’m going to try that & I’ll leave another comment here if I have success.
Angela, I love the thought of “heavy” vegan mac & chz! I may be brave enough to make this dish for the first time for a potluck. The sunflower seeds sound good cuz they’re about 1/4 the price of organic cashews here, & they’re less allergenic, I think.

Patsy December 14, 2012

The sunflower seeds seem to me to be a decent substitution for the cashews. In a powerful machine, I was able to make an ultra-smooth paste. I think I might prefer the flavor with them lightly toasted. Soaked raw and processed, they have a slight “grassiness.” I added a tablespoonful of roasted almond butter, and I think that helped.

Marie January 19, 2013

Tofu. When I made mine i didn’t have enough cashews so I mixed cashews+tofu!

kristy @ kristyruns.com November 23, 2010

Wow! Looks soooo good! Go, Angela! Can’t wait to try this recipe.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 23, 2010

LOVE this. MUST MAKE this soon!
Cravings? Well now it’s mac ‘n cheese! :P But I had a major pumpkin craving earlier this week that I satisfied big time (ahem, pumpkin cookies+gingerbread+oatmeal! :D)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 23, 2010

This is my ultimate comfort food. What a great way to “hide” veggies!

Tiffany November 23, 2010

YUM!!

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron November 23, 2010

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I can’t wait to give it a try, it looks delicious!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 23, 2010

looooove mac n cheese – I have yet to perfect it, but it looks like you did it for me! :)

tina November 23, 2010

oh my goodness, does that look good… and the recipe is totally accessible- thanks angela! i’m going to have to try this!!!! too bad i already bought my thanksgiving dinner ingrediants…. otherwise i’d be changing my contribution! :)

Amy November 23, 2010

Yes, the VegNews recipe is my favorite mac and cheese! I always reduce the salt to about a teaspoon, but that’s because I’m using regular, not kosher. Hmm, I think I need to make this very soon.

Rachel November 23, 2010

Finally a mac and cheese recipe that looks nice! I’m going to have to have this.. drool.

Healthy_Chocoholic November 23, 2010

Yummy! That actually looks better than non-vegan mac n’ cheese. I’m definitely making this soon, its already been bookmarked!!!!!!!!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 23, 2010

That vegan cheese sauce looks unreal.

Julie November 23, 2010

O.m.g. YUM. This would be perfect for Thanksgiving as a healthy alternative to all the other decadent dishes. You can indulge&still feel great afterwards ;)

Sarah November 23, 2010

Thank you!!! I printed the recipe and will be adding it to my Thanksgiving menu for sure! I’ve tried some other vegan mac ‘n cheese recipes only to be disappointed but I know this one will be a winner!

Jenn November 23, 2010

Angela, this is my cry for HELP! I turned vegan this past April, so this will be my first Christmas season without animal products and I’m convinced I can make it better then all the others before! To do so, I am trying to veganize all of my favorite baked goods that my Grandma makes every year. It was going really well, up until this last recipes, which happens to my favorite. I’ve hit a wall of one failed attempt after another! Is there a way to veganize this recipe and still have it be delicious and amazing? If anyone can do it, I know you can!

Lemon Tasties

1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1/4 cup icing sugar
Mix these 3 ingredients just like a pie crust. Press into an 8×8 pan and bake at 350F for 15-20 min.
Using the same bowl, mix:
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tbsp flour
rind & juice of 1 lemon
Pour over hot crust and bake at 350F for anotehr 15-20 min.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with icing sugar.

Ellani November 23, 2010

Why don’t you try taking a look at the recipes for Lemon pie at Fat Free Vegan Kitchen? (http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03/05/lemon-pie-filling/) This looks pretty similar to what you are trying to adapt. She also has some healthier and tasty crust recipes there.

Angela: I can’t count. What are the 4 vegetables? Potato, carrot, onion…and??? Looks great though, can’t wait to try it. :)

Jenn November 23, 2010

Thank you so much! The recipe looks amazing!

Lauren M. November 23, 2010

Cravings?!? Are you kidding me??!?!? I’ve been PMS-ing all week, so yes, cravings have been high. I went to whole foods yesterday and all I bought was chocolate, and then yesterday when I got off of work (I work at Trader Joe’s), I came home with two boxes of cookies. Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh! Oh, and I also have little to no desire to train for my 1/2 marathon. Don’t you love being a woman?

Lizzie November 23, 2010

Angela!!!! I made those Power Me Up Pumpkin Sesame cookies on Sunday night – SO good! I mean, really good. They were soft and cakey and yummy!! Captain Awesome (my other half :)) loved them too. I mean – just amazing!! So, I guess this mac and cheese is next on the list!

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 23, 2010

This looks delicious! I love mac-n-cheese!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 23, 2010

Oooh yum! I’d love to try this – the last time I used nutritional yeast I didn’t get that cheesy taste I’d anticipated, but I’m pretty sure I can trust you Ange! I’ve been craving (and eating) roasted veggies alllll week long!

Danielle @ Blissful Shutter November 24, 2010

First time I had the nutritional yeast it wasn’t as cheesy as I anticipated either but that is probably because I still eat cheese. It is savory though!

Jessica November 23, 2010

I can’t wait for the upcoming cookie recipes!: ) I would love to see a simple raw vegan cookie without nuts! Maybe using oat flour and quinoa flour? A lucuma cookie would be great too! Thank you so much, this mac n’ cheese looks delicious!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman November 23, 2010

Sounds good! This week (like every week) I’ve been craving pizza. And turkey since I know I’ll be having it for Thanksgiving Thursday.

Daniel November 23, 2010

Looks good enough to even get my stubborn parents to taste it without realizing what’s all in it! ;)

As far as cookies go, you should make Mexican wedding cookies – little balls of melt in your mouth goodness with tons of amazing pecan flavor, rolled in powdered sugar. To.die.for.

Taryn November 23, 2010

Yum! Every year on my birthday growing up, my grandmother would ask what I wanted for my birthday dinner, and it was always Kraft macaroni & cheese… I know, gross, especially since my grandmother is a wonderful cook! When I was a kid, I guess I just couldn’t appreciate her skills. 10-year-old Taryn says gimme the processed stuff!

This Sunday I turned 24, and I thought it might be time to grow up. I requested and she made her homemade baked macaroni and cheese and I have to admit, I thought it was delicious — for the first time in my entire life! I must be a real grown-up now ;)

Baked mac & cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Cool vegan version! I don’t imagine the “cheese sauce” tastes anything like cheese though, does it?

Lauren November 23, 2010

Mac & cheese that tastes similar to alfredo sauce? Yes, please :).

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' November 23, 2010

That’s exactly how I like my mac n’ cheese– crunchy outside, creamy inside! This looks perfect!

Lately, I’ve been craving ice cream! (weird, I know) I enjoyed a 7-course raw dinner last weekend, and we were talking about how good the restaurant’s raw ice cream was… and I’ve been craving it ever since! I’m taking care of that craving for Thanksgiving, by making a vegan pumpkin ice cream! Can’t wait! :D

And as far as Christmas cookies go, I love powdered sugar-covered “wedding cookies,” chocolate crinkles, and fudge! (a peppermint fudge would be fantastic!)

Melissa November 23, 2010

This looks so good! One of the greatest joys of vegan cooking is that you can “sample” whatever you want without fear of getting salmonella or some crazy disease… I made your pumpkin pie banana oatmeal cookies the other night and I think I probably ate more of the batter than the actual cookies!

Jenny November 23, 2010

I’ve been craving my sister’s cream cheese frosting-topped pumpkin bars! Thank goodness Thanksgiving is in 2 days ;)

Jenny November 23, 2010

Laura November 23, 2010

What could you substitute for the almond milk? We have an almond allergy in our family.

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2010

soy milk would work :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 23, 2010

Oh my this looks fantastic. Mac and cheese is one of the hardest recipes to veganize, but this looks absolutely delicious, decadent and cheesy!!

Faith @ lovelyascharged November 23, 2010

Oh my gosh. You better believe that I’ll be making this…SOON! Mac + Cheese was probably my favorite food ever growing up and it still very well may be…but this looks SO much healthier and better…plus veggies? That ROCKS!

Leia November 23, 2010

This looks insanely delicious! I stay away from a lot of vegan recipes that call for ‘vegan cheese’ because it’s usually very heavily processed, not to mention not available in supermarkets here. So I love the idea of making a ‘cheese sauce’ from almond milk, cashews, and vegetables! A mac & cheese that is actually on the healthier side. Awesome!

Ashley November 23, 2010

I am very excited about this! Perfect cozy dinner for a chilly night! :) By the way…I miss you…like, a LOT! <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2010

i miss you too…cant wait to get my life back! lol

Catherine November 23, 2010

Looks delicious! I am taking you up on your offer about holiday cookies. Our peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate consist of only a few ingredients: mostly peanut butter and confectioner’s sugar. Mix with hands, roll into balls, and put in the fridge! And then obviously some chocolate for the dipping. With your wonderful dessert skills, I’d love to see you transform these!

Roberta November 23, 2010

Look’s Awesome!!!! Nothing reminds me of Christmas like Gingerbread cookies so please please please make these:)

Nic November 23, 2010

I’m so excited how creative people are getting with mac and cheese. I made squash mac and cheese last night and it was delish! A little twist on one of my favorite dishes!

Page 1 of 41234»