Easy White Bean Soup

I just about died laughing reading all of your nicknames yesterday. And here I was thinking ‘Snitzlefritz’ was weird!

Ok, maybe Snitzlefritz is still weird…

I found it quite funny that many of your nicknames involved one of my favourite ‘food groups’

• Chickpea
  • Garbanzo
  • Hummus

Other favourites were:

• Stinky
  • Bird Breath
  • Number 1 and Number 2
  • Pie Tin

Oh, and I also found a Pinky and The Brain twin!

If you are looking for a funny read, check out the comments in yesterday’s post.

And now more soup. Because I am cold and it is gloomy outside.

Also because a lovely reader sent me this recipe and said, ‘You have to try this delicious soup!’

20101117-IMG_0615

Some women get excited over handbags and shoes. I tend to get excited about Heirloom tomatoes, aprons, and Rudolph mugs.

20101117-IMG_0574

(Ok, Ok, handbags and shoes too)

20101117-IMG_0577

I added some dried basil to this soup and extra garlic and it really made the flavours pop.

20101117-IMG_0579

3 cloves of minced garlic.

20101117-IMG_0582

That reminds me, I have been meaning to tell you that garlic no longer seems to really bother my stomach like it used to. I wonder why??

Puree 3/4 of the white bean mixture and set aside.

20101117-IMG_0590

Sautee the onions for 5 minutes, followed by the carrots for another 5.

20101117-IMG_0594

Add in spices, tomatoes, garlic, etc and cook for about 7-8 mins.

20101117-IMG_0597

Now add in the water, pureed beans, and the rest of the beans. Stir well and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

20101117-IMG_0600

This soup is rich and creamy and pleasing on the palate, but contains barely any fat, and of course, no cream. It is also packed with protein!

The garlic, salt, basil, and thyme really made this soup come to life so don’t skimp on them. It would also make a wonderful soup to pack for work or school lunches during the colder months.

20101117-IMG_0617

I’m curious…what is your weather like today? If you’d like, leave a comment and tell me the approximate temperature and conditions in your area.

Our weather today is 7C/45F, very windy, and rainy. (At least we didn’t get a snow storm like OSGMOM though!)

Page 4 of 4«1234
Alexina March 31, 2017

My boyfriend and I made this soup last week. It was delicious. I recommend adding something for spice like red pepper flakes or cayenne and then squeezing fresh lemon on top. Soooo good!

Toya Good November 2, 2016

Good clean and delicious comfort food soup!

Raquel December 5, 2015

This soups looks delicious! Do you puree 3/4 cup of the beans of 3/4 of the total amount of beans? Thanks

david June 16, 2015

Great soup! I added some Thai kitchen red curry paste not for spice but for flavour.Turned out great.

Rebecca November 19, 2014

It’s been cold in Toronto recently, so I went in search of delicious soups with beans. I’m not a vegan or vegetarian, but I love your cook book. When I googled white kidney bean and soup you’re soup was second on my list. I clicked on it immediately and knew I had to try it. I love this soup, your cook book and your website! I often refer to your website when I have any questions about cooking beans, lentils or anything else common in your recipes. I’ve given your cookbook to multiple meat eaters (but healthy eaters). They all love it. Thanks for the healthy and delicious recipies!

Danielle October 3, 2012

I’m new to eating vegan and decided to give this soup a try…I can only say it was fantastic!!!! The only changes I made were adding two more pinches of saffron and about 2 tsp smoked paprika which gave it a warm, silky, smoky flavor profile that was so good I didn’t even notice there wasn’t any meat!!! The perfect meal for a chilly fall evening…thanks for the recipe!!!

Amy July 7, 2012

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012

Thank you Amy Im so glad to hear that!

Amy July 7, 2012

oh nevermind! It printed nicely in the end…just didn’t look the same as the others. I am going to leave another comment that you really can post! ;) Third times a charm!

Amy July 7, 2012

I can’t wait to try this! Looks delicious. Thanks so much for your awesome website and recipes. I know it will help me on my road to eating vegan. P.S. When I click on “print recipe”, it does not format nicely like others I have printed.

Bonnie Leary May 6, 2012

This soup is flippin DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!