Easy White Bean Soup

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 17, 2010

I just about died laughing reading all of your nicknames yesterday. And here I was thinking ‘Snitzlefritz’ was weird!

Ok, maybe Snitzlefritz is still weird…

I found it quite funny that many of your nicknames involved one of my favourite ‘food groups’

• Chickpea
  • Garbanzo
  • Hummus

Other favourites were:

• Stinky
  • Bird Breath
  • Number 1 and Number 2
  • Pie Tin

Oh, and I also found a Pinky and The Brain twin!

If you are looking for a funny read, check out the comments in yesterday’s post.

And now more soup. Because I am cold and it is gloomy outside.

Also because a lovely reader sent me this recipe and said, ‘You have to try this delicious soup!’

20101117-IMG_0615

Some women get excited over handbags and shoes. I tend to get excited about Heirloom tomatoes, aprons, and Rudolph mugs.

20101117-IMG_0574

(Ok, Ok, handbags and shoes too)

20101117-IMG_0577

I added some dried basil to this soup and extra garlic and it really made the flavours pop.

20101117-IMG_0579

3 cloves of minced garlic.

20101117-IMG_0582

That reminds me, I have been meaning to tell you that garlic no longer seems to really bother my stomach like it used to. I wonder why??

Puree 3/4 of the white bean mixture and set aside.

20101117-IMG_0590

Sautee the onions for 5 minutes, followed by the carrots for another 5.

20101117-IMG_0594

Add in spices, tomatoes, garlic, etc and cook for about 7-8 mins.

20101117-IMG_0597

Now add in the water, pureed beans, and the rest of the beans. Stir well and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

20101117-IMG_0600

This soup is rich and creamy and pleasing on the palate, but contains barely any fat, and of course, no cream. It is also packed with protein!

The garlic, salt, basil, and thyme really made this soup come to life so don’t skimp on them. It would also make a wonderful soup to pack for work or school lunches during the colder months.

20101117-IMG_0617

I’m curious…what is your weather like today? If you’d like, leave a comment and tell me the approximate temperature and conditions in your area.

Our weather today is 7C/45F, very windy, and rainy. (At least we didn’t get a snow storm like OSGMOM though!)

Jessica M November 17, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Where I am at (MT), this morning at was 14 F (with a windchill of 2 F) and it snowed all night!
I’m sure you guys get a lot of similar weather!

Jessica November 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Where in MT? I’m near Billings. I thought it was cold here (25 F) till I just read this.

[email protected] November 17, 2010 at 1:25 pm

That soup looks yummy! Our weather in NH is crazy today, warm, in the 50’s F, but it keeps alternating between rainy and sunny!

Tyrah November 17, 2010 at 1:27 pm

After reading yesterday I forgot to add saffron to my soup last night, darn! Thanks for the inspiration, we’ll see if I remember next time…
Your nick names crack me up! I really enjoy Sketchie’s name too =)
My husband calls me Sue (which is my Mom’s name) when he catches me doing something crazy, strange, or “Momlike”. I have broken the news to her about this, and she laughs mostly ;) You’d have to know my Mom, she does and thinks some strange things….I however do not. ;D Off to have a chuckle at the comments from yesterday… have a great one!
It is currently sunny, bit windy and 54 here in Michigan.

Melanie November 17, 2010 at 1:27 pm

It’s overcast in Chicago, too. It’s about 48 degrees F right now, but actually doesn’t feel too bad!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 17, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Yum yum!! I made a really similar soup recently and added barley to it – sticks to my ribs for sure!! This is definitely a great recipe for crappy-weather days like today. :)

Kathryn November 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm

It is BIZZARE here in NorCal we’ve had 70-75 F days this week. I really want it to be cold and gloomy (I’m a freak I love cold rainy snowy weather – I think because I was born in the mountains in December in the worst winter in 100 years – it’s how I came into the world!).

I’m ready to use the fireplace, wear my super cute lulubomber jacket, and stomp around in some rain puddles! I’ve been fighting the weater and eating soup anyway though :)

Amy B. November 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I love this recipe. I make a similiar soup except I add kale to it :)

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen November 17, 2010 at 1:31 pm

It’s crazy in Boston today! It’s currently 62 degrees! Nuts! That soup looks amazing though – adding it to my wish-to-make list.

Andrea Sale November 17, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Can’t WAIT to try this tonight! Thanks for the great post :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 17, 2010 at 1:32 pm

That soup looks delicious! I actually just got home from work — I left early because I am ill and soup is just what I need. Do you want to drive down to Minnesota and drop off some of that soup? :)

It has been in the low 50s here in MN — we got 8-10 inches of snow last weekend, lots of it has melted already. More is on the way this weekend I believe!

Vanessa November 17, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I’m in Saskatoon and it’s -15 C with the wind chill and it’s snowing. It’s supposed to be colder by the weekend. I’m not used to it yet!

Jazz November 17, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I’m in Saskatoon too! Did you see the -22 for saturday! yikes!

Laura @ Backstage Pass November 17, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Mmm, this soup sounds great. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
The weather today in Milwaukee, Wisconsin = 53ª and overcast. No complaints here!

Tamara November 17, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Sunny and 60 here in the Detroit area, which I was not expecting. I know a cold front is coming our way though, based on Melanie’s report about the Chicago weather!

Allison November 17, 2010 at 1:35 pm

That soup looks amazing!!!!! And even though there is a high of 73 here in florida, i totally want this for dinner!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 17, 2010 at 1:36 pm

It’s super rainy and gross in Ottawa.
We had such a nice few days – of course it couldn’t last! I have my fingers crossed for the weekend, as I desperately want to get another hike in before winter.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm

i know last week’s weather was a dream!

Leanne November 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I was wondering if you have any advice on how to chop onions without crying like a mad-woman??? I’d love to make this recipe but I hate how onions make my eyes feel like they’re on fire!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I dont….tears POUR from my eyes!!!!

One thing that sort of works is running the cold water while chopping, it helps, but doesnt cure it for me.

Jessica November 17, 2010 at 1:57 pm

chew gum while you’re cutting!

Jes November 17, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I learned this trick when working at Subway. As soon as I start to tear up, I stick my head in the freezer (seems odd, i know). Something about the cold air counteracts the effects of the onions for me… Hope this might help!

T November 17, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I use one of those hand choppers to cut onions. Mine is from Pampered Chef and works great. I don’t really like onions so I like to use the chopper to cut them really small so I don’t bite into chunks of onion. I’ve also seen onion glasses, the frame has foam around it so your eyes aren’t exposed to onion-air, ha ha.

Lisa November 17, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I usually use sweet onions like Vidalia or Texas sweets. They don’t make u cry.

Megan @ MegGoesNomNom November 17, 2010 at 1:43 pm

It’s a gorgeous 52 degree, sunny November day here in Ann Arbor, MI. Lovin’ it!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm

It’s 70-75F and Sunny. Basically, warm and nice :) That is the HUGE perk of living in southern california this time of year. Better get something outta the deal considering the taxes, cost of living, housing costs, etc…at least we get great weather!! :)

The soup looks awesome! Garlic not bothering your tummy? That’s great! It could just mean your gut is healthier now than it used to be..maybe b/c you take probiotics, eat other fermented foods, or are just healthier in general overall :)

Sara November 17, 2010 at 1:49 pm

It’s never fair to play the “what’s the temp there” game with someone from San Diego, but it’s not that ridiculous today – just 67 F (19 C), partly cloudy. Perfect cardigan weather, if you ask me! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010 at 1:49 pm

hehe soooo true

Jennie November 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm

It’s -10C (-15 with the wind chill!) in South West Saskatchewan. Luckily we didn’t get the 12-18 cm of snow that some places along the #1 Highway got!

Allison @ Food for Healing November 17, 2010 at 1:51 pm

In Saskatchewan it is cold, cloudy and windy. Supposed to get more snow tonight and into tomorrow, not as much as southern sask or alberta thank goodness.. Yet.
Temps have been staying around -10C/13F at the highest, gross, nights are getting down into the -20C’s. But thats all i can expect for Saskatchewan!

I need to make a batch of soups and chili asap for the winter.

Emily November 17, 2010 at 1:51 pm

60 degrees F here in South Carolina. It was rainy and gloomy here yesterday, so the sunshine today is quite welcome!

That soup looks delicious! I’ve been on a white bean kick lately so this is headed straight to the top of my ‘must make’ list.

Melissa November 17, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Today in Memphis, TN, we have a high of 63F and a low of 43F. We have a beautiful clear blue sky, but we’re supposed to get rain tonight… I love nighttime storms because it’s so soothing to listen to the rain as I fall asleep.

Shanna November 17, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Is it weird that I wish I had your weather? We are at 71deg F and that’s just too warm for November.

(near SF)

LizLivingVegan November 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Yum! Soup is like my favorite thing ever when the weather is cold and dreary!!! This recipe looks great :) I can’t wait to try it!

[email protected] knackfornutrition November 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm

That is so weird that your question was about the weather today! I am in upstate NY and it is gloomy! But it is so much a part of how I will remember my school that I devoted an entire blog post to it today! I suppose we are just on the same blogging wavelength or something! :)

Your soup look delicious as always. Perfect for weather like today!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) November 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I live in Alaska, and it is definitely winter here! Snow on the ground and 7 degrees!! (dislike!)

Aimee November 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm

The weather has been so strange today in Western Massachusetts. It was balmy and rainy when I left work this morning at 7am. It is currently 61 degrees and partly cloudy with specks of sunlight peeking out of the clouds.

That soup looks so delicious. I love the addition of the pureed beans. Can’t wait to try it.

Erin November 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm

-13 and snowing for the 2nd day in a row in Calgary :)

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) November 17, 2010 at 2:06 pm

That soup sure does look delicious! Perfect thing for a cold day, which are few and far between around here. Today is

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) November 17, 2010 at 2:07 pm

That soup sure does look delicious! Perfect thing for a cold day, which are few and far between around here. Today the high is 85 degrees! I would love some sweater weather right about now. ;)

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous November 17, 2010 at 2:13 pm

69 and partly cloudy. Howdy from Texas!

Beth @ bethcooks November 17, 2010 at 2:22 pm

It’s gorgeous here today! 65 and sunny in Atlanta…
I love white bean soups. I usually make them with bacon, but i could go without on this one!

Jaime November 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm

68 and clear skies in Orange County. Waiting for soup weather!

Jana November 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm

41 F in Omaha, Nebraska today. Gloomy and windy, typical for the middle of November. The most exciting news here for the last week is that we got our very first Trader Joe’s store. : )

Jenny November 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm

It’s 65 degrees in Boston right now; so unusually warm!! I suppose it’s all relative :)

kelly November 17, 2010 at 2:35 pm

It’s 43 degrees here Northern Illinois and gloooomy and damp. Yuck!

Little Aspects November 17, 2010 at 2:37 pm

24’C and a few clouds – pretty much perfect here in Sydney, Australia! But last weekend was HOT (32’C) – summer is definitely on its way! Not soup weather for us – salads and BBQs (though your soups look really yummy!)

Charlie November 17, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Here it is 11C/52F, raining. Soup sounds so good (and this one looks delicious). Lucky me, I already have leftover soup waiting for me :).

Krystina (Basil & Wine) November 17, 2010 at 2:43 pm

That tomato is beyond gorgeous. Love this recipe. :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 17, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Its wet and cold and around 11C. That soup looks yummy!

Cilla November 17, 2010 at 2:44 pm

It is 14’C and foggy this morning in the Waikato in New Zealand, but that will burn off through the morning and it get much warmer. Yesterday afternoon at around 5pm, it was 27’C.

Eimear Rose November 17, 2010 at 2:45 pm

The weather here is very similar, 7 degrees, maybe slightly higher but very stormy and wet.
Lovely soup, just the ticket for a day like today:)

Emily @ For Sweets Sake November 17, 2010 at 2:53 pm

We’re not really into soup weather here in Florida yet. It’s 66F, sunny and not humid (finally) here! Believe it or not though, I’m dying for some cold weather. I’ve had enough of the heat haha

Lindsay November 17, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I live in North Dakota, and it’s 27 degrees F right now. Supposed to get up to 28 (woo!) and then down to 10 tonight. A bunch of flurries so far, but no real snow yet!

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious November 17, 2010 at 3:02 pm

this soup looks great too…i made one similar to your last one with the curry and saffron…delicious! i found the spice perfect. i liked the saffron…its pricey so i’m glad a pinch is only needed :) it poured in vancouver this morning, but now the sun is shining. oh and i made your peppermint walnut crunch blondies….they are to-die-for…ooey gooey out of the oven…i gave some to my neighbours…they are a huge hit!! thank you. i love love love your recipes. i’m going to make them for our sunday night family dinner forsure.

carri z. November 17, 2010 at 3:05 pm

mmm…yummers!
70 and sunny
by day and 50’s by night
here in LALAland…

i do NOT miss my
east coast gloom.

stay warm!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010 at 3:38 pm

we have tons of gloomy skies in the winter here in Ontario. miss the sun!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) November 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I love using beans to thicken. This looks delicious! The weather here is mild but really windy, last night we had a crazy storm. And you’re not alone.. I get excited over tomatoes and aprons too :)

Gloria November 17, 2010 at 3:20 pm

It’s 27 degC and sunny outside right now – I live in Palm Beach, FL. Can you send down some of that chilly weather?? Something about eating sweet potato casserole in my bathing suit on Thanksgiving Day just seems so wrong ;)

Melissa November 17, 2010 at 3:21 pm

From where do you order your saffron? There are so many options online and I want to find the best value. Thanks!

Helen November 17, 2010 at 3:24 pm

45 and raining near seattle…snow is forecasted for this weekend. they’re never right though; we’ll see! good soup weather today–i might make lentil.

Camille November 17, 2010 at 3:26 pm

You are on a soup roll lately!
It has been about 45-50 degrees F here in Oregon today. It is generally dipping down in the the high 30s at night though. It’s a bit chilly!

Nikki T November 17, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Its a soup day in Edmonton, Alberta today too…-11C (-20 with the wind) and light snow…Brrrr!

Amber K November 17, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Super windy and rainy. And just like every year people forget that they live in Oregon and start freaking out while driving. Come on, it’s just rain. DRIVE! lol

That’s weird about the garlic. I just started being able to eat apples again. They used to make my stomach burn like a million fires on top of the sun. And lately I have been eating 1-2 a day! Pain-free!

Jenny November 17, 2010 at 3:43 pm

YUM! I just made my first homemade soup last night and I can’t wait to do it again!

Sonia November 17, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Aw…. I miss San Diego!!!

Here in the south bay, it’s sunny with clear skies and 71 degrees. Mornings and nights have been cold though and it’s forecasted to rain this weekend, which is fine by me because I miss the rain, though it makes bay area drivers even worse. yeesh.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm

London? 5C/41F and RAINY. Lovely. Am seriously jealous of all the Florida commenters with their warm sunny weather! :P
Soup looks delicious by the way! Perfect for our weather! :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope November 17, 2010 at 4:00 pm

It’s sunny and about 80F/27C
bla.
Wish it were cooler outside.

Kayla November 17, 2010 at 4:12 pm

That soup looks fabulous. Just starred it in my Google Reader. One of my new favorite things to do is make a bigpot of soup, eat half within the week and freeze the other half for later. :)

The weather here is dreary, about 46 degrees Fahrenheit, very cloudy/overcast. It rained–scratch that–poured this morning, and lightning struck a radio tower and knocked it off the air for most of the day. Eek!

Crystal November 17, 2010 at 4:15 pm

The weather here in Victoria, BC keeps changing. We just had a huge storm and so the weather today has been a mixture of rain, wind, and sun!

But right now it is 7°C and raining :D

That soup looks delicious! I didn’t get to comment on your older entry but my boyfriend calls me his snugglebunny. :3

KaraHadley November 17, 2010 at 4:22 pm

That sound does look darn delicious.
And the weather is about 65F, sunny, with only a little pit of wind. To me, that means I can still wear short dresses.

Sue Fleischaker November 17, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Here in northern CA its a sunny 68 or (I think) around 50 something…I am no longer good at switching from C or F! I still miss Fall in Ontario though!

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 17, 2010 at 4:26 pm

that tomato just made me so excited…what a vibrant color and awesome shape!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 17, 2010 at 4:33 pm

My weather is pretty similar to yours. It’s rainy, windy and in the 40s here in vancouver, wa.

I love soups that turn out creamy from pureed beans. That tomato is so pretty too.

Alaina November 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Omg, that soup looks AWESOME. Can’t wait until school is over for the semester so I actually have time to cook, haha.

You’re going to hate me, but the weather here is 76 degrees farenheit (about 24 celsius), sunny, with a light breeze. Totally gorgeous. It did rain all day yesterday though, if it makes you feel better :)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) November 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm

72* and sunny here in So Cal today. I hear it might rain this weekend… I kinda like having a change now and then, so I don’t mind.

Bronwyn Coyne November 17, 2010 at 4:44 pm

According to my computer it’s about 9 degrees outside. And it’s been gorgeous and sunny! LOVE IT! :D So unlike regular vancouver weather; not rainy or gross. It actually feels a little like a real winter/fall time.

Heather November 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Saint John New Brunswick is currently 12 degrees and pourrrring rain.

Ashley November 17, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I love the idea of adding pureed beans to thicken up a soup. Great tip!

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy November 17, 2010 at 4:50 pm

LOVING the amazing-looking soup recipes, Angela. And, as always, TOTALLY loving your pictures! <3

Tracey November 17, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I’m in Ohio and it’s about 50F here today. Chilly and definitely soup weather!

Lauren November 17, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Our weather is 68 degrees, sunny, and GORGEOUS! Normally it seems like Louisiana goes straight from sizzling summer to cold and rainy weather, so it’s a serious blessing to be getting a few weeks like this.

Emily November 17, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Its a windy 60 degrees in Boston today. This morning it was crazy rain but then the sun came out and it was kinda nice :) as for nicknamkes, I started to call my boyfriend bear because he’s pretty hairy but then he started to call me little bear (he’s 6’1″ and I’m 5’1″). So now we’re both bears and somehow its stuck :) oh and the soup looks great!

kaila November 17, 2010 at 5:19 pm

weather twins! buffalo, ny is the same today!!!!

Rebecca November 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm

The weather today in Melbourne is mostly sunny with a slight breeze, top of 21C. I checked out the 7 day forecast and next week we have two days that are hot and 31C, which is good because I have my office Christmas Party next week at the Races.

jillian November 17, 2010 at 5:21 pm

i hate to rub it in buuuut it was 78 and sunny here today. i was outside ALL day :) i still would have loved a pot of that soup though!

jodye @ 'scend food November 17, 2010 at 5:28 pm

This soup does sound extremely yummy, and I can’t believe how easy it is! I’m thinking of making this for dinner tonight!

laurak November 17, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Hi Angela!
It’s sunny and about 20 degrees here in Melbourne, Australia, which is not overly warm but Melbourne weather tends to be very fickle, so any sign of sunshine is a good thing!
Laura :)
ps looooved your video btw, especially the bloopers!

Audrey November 17, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I made this today and it was really good…and all stuff I had in the cupboard. Thanks for a great recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010 at 6:35 pm

glad you like!!

Tiffany November 17, 2010 at 5:52 pm

It’s warm here. I’m in AZ and it’s currently 78 degrees at 4pm! Tomorrow the high is 82. I love it at this time of year!

Liza November 17, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Cold and windy here.

Just a quick question – do you cook in natural light a lot? Your photos are always so amazing, but I always have to wait until the next day to post dinner pictures because the lighting in my kitchen isn’t bright enough in the evening. My neighbors probably think I’m crazy running outside with a plate of food the next morning to snap a picture of it!

Vanessa November 17, 2010 at 5:54 pm

It is -9 degrees here in chilly Saskatchewan….-13degrees with the windchill. I guess it is winter time…perfect for soup! Thanks for the delicious recipes!

Freya November 17, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Ooh that looks so delicious!!
It’s about 4degrees here, cold and grey and a little windy. Basically exactly how you’d picture England!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 17, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Yay, another soup recipe! I love soup during the fall and winter months. It’s so comforting. It was actually warm and sunny where I live today. I’m enjoying it while I can!

Lisa November 17, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Here in south Georgia it’s 52 right now with a low of 38. Tomorrow high of 68. Really great weather. Made veggie soup tonight. I would love a recipe for tomato,fennel, & dill soup like Atlanta Bread Company serves. It tastes like pizza; I’m addicted.

Lisa November 17, 2010 at 7:06 pm

And I would kill for that tomato in an avacado,onion,lettuce & dill sandwich!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 17, 2010 at 6:35 pm

It’s weirdly warm here- it was about 50F today in NYC, though the wind was insane!!

traci November 17, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Thankfully it’s been nice and sunny here in Knoxville, TN today.Yesterday was a wet , cold and windy day. It’s 52 degrees F now.
There is nothing better on a cold day then soup. This looks delish as always :)

Shauna November 17, 2010 at 6:41 pm

-4* C up here in northern ontario. Windy and snowy/slushy from yesterdays snowfall

Melissa November 17, 2010 at 6:42 pm

This soup looks like another winner. Soups help me feel cozy when it’s cold out; yum.

Bridget November 17, 2010 at 7:01 pm

First of all, that tomato is a beautiful specimen! It’s so pretty!

In Victoria BC it’s been rainy and about 10 celsius. I guess rain comes with living on the west coast :(

Tahina November 17, 2010 at 8:31 pm

TEN CELSIUS! that’s crazy, i’m in 44celcius at 9.30am at the moment!

Bridget November 17, 2010 at 9:39 pm

are you sure you don’t mean farenheit because 44 celsius rarely happens. That’s super warm! Unless you live outside of North america I guess. If it is that warm then take advantage and have fun in the sun :)

Tahina November 17, 2010 at 9:41 pm

haha no i do mean celsius and it happens allll the time, i live in the hottest part of australia so it’s 45celcius most days! even in winter it rarely drops below 25-30, it’s lovely!

N November 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm

are you in broome or somewhere in nt, tahina?

Sana November 17, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I wish it were could enough to drink soup. It feels so wrong when it is +60!

Delaney November 17, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I made a similar soup last night…except w/ brussel sprouts! It was pretty tasty, but I’m sure it would have been better if I had fresh herbs on hand!
It’s about 50, dark as night, torrential rain…and I have to go out and report a story in less than an hour! :(

Adam November 17, 2010 at 7:20 pm

It’s 89 degrees and partly cloudy here in Bangkok, Thailand

(I am hoping you will be able to ship internationally soon!)

Tahina November 17, 2010 at 8:25 pm

same! dying to try glo bars in australia!

bitt November 17, 2010 at 7:21 pm

45 F and rainy here in Seattle. Typically crappy November weather. Hmph.

I saw some organic gluten free vegan candy canes at the store and I think it was a sign to make the blondies. I think most candy canes are GF and vegan but might have something artificial. I’ve been loving soup too. We made a wonderful one out of roasted squash last night.

Maria Schade November 18, 2010 at 4:57 am

I’m from the Seattle area and I live in Guam now =( SO homesick! I miss those cold, windy, rainy days of curling up with a yummy bowl of hot soup next to a warm fire.

[email protected] November 17, 2010 at 7:25 pm

that soup looks so yummy!! The weather was somewhere close to 60 today!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 17, 2010 at 7:32 pm

You’re making me seriously crave soup now! Especially with how cold and rainy it’s been these past few days. Where did the mild fall temperatures go?! :(

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 17, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I love white bean soup. My grandma made the best!

stacey-healthylife November 17, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Love anything with white beans.

Tahina November 17, 2010 at 8:22 pm

it’s soooo hot today, 43c and it’s only 9.33 am! beach weather woo hoo :D
even though it’s boiling i made this soup to take to work for lunch and it’s yummy! can’t wait for my lunch break now!

Lisa November 17, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I will definitely be making this very soon! Our weather today was around 55F, party cloudy and extremely windy!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 17, 2010 at 8:33 pm

That soup looks really yummy – and I don’t know if I would want the nickname bird breath.

Izzy November 17, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I made a soup similar to this yesterday from a recipe I found on All Recipes! It was deeevine (main diff – lentils instead of white beans and different veggies). It’s SO soup weather this time of year!

My weather is, unfortunately, pretty well the same as yours (I’m in Toronto). Rainy, dark and COOOL :(

izzyy
xox

Wei-Wei November 17, 2010 at 9:36 pm

14*C, and it’s sunny today! It got a lot colder earlier but it’s getting a little warmer lately. Or is it just me?

Jessica November 17, 2010 at 9:56 pm

The soup looks great! It’s the perfect time of year to cuddle up with a steamy bowl of soup for sure. It was chilly (25 F) and really windy here today. No snow which is a bummer since I live in a resort town and our mountain is set to open next week.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad November 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm

In South Carolina, the low was 55 and the high was 69….not bad for November!!

N November 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Tis approaching 37 Celsius here today, sunny and hot hot hot =)

Carley November 18, 2010 at 1:30 am

It was something around 76 here today in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix) and sunny!

Maria Schade November 18, 2010 at 4:55 am

Today in Guam it was hot, (90F) and sunny, I’m on leave this week so I went to the beach.
I’m voting for the shipping internationally too!
Angela, anytime you want to, you can move into my home =)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 18, 2010 at 11:03 am

yummy yummy looking food!

Cindy Robinson November 18, 2010 at 3:55 pm

It’s a beautiful and sunny 75ºF here in Central Florida. I promise to be your taste tester. We have plenty of room for you to stay. And we have goats you can stare and laugh at :) Thanks for sharing your lovely recipes.

Junia November 18, 2010 at 6:58 pm

i love your recipes and your photography! definitely will be make some of your thanksgiving goods next week! and i made your parsnip fries with a few other veggies: http://juniakk.blogspot.com/2010/11/tempura-heaven.html :) thank you! my family loved them.

Leah @ Simply Fabulous November 19, 2010 at 5:09 am

Hey, if I use gluten free flour in the oat squares or blondies, would it come out the same as using the regular flours that you used??

Alaina November 19, 2010 at 9:29 am

Made this last night…it was super easy and even my skeptical roommate liked it! I did reduce the water by half, though, since I prefer stews more than soups :] Thanks for the recipe!

Kim November 19, 2010 at 9:50 am

I live in Dallas, Texas. It was 38 degrees this morning at about 4am when I did my morning walk. I used to think that the weather was a factor when you exercised outdoors, but not anymore. I just throw on more clothing at get to it.

Your recipes look delicious!!

I’m curious. What’s behind you in your opening page photo? Are you in a cave? Is it artificial? I keep starring at it…trying to figure out what it is…never seen anything like it before. Please don’t keep me in suspense much longer.

Oh…1 more thing. I’ve been trying all your variations of pumpkin oats. The ingredient list sounds so delicious, but then when I make them they’re kind of bland. I’m using Libby’s…which isn’t organic or anything. The only ingredients are pumpkin and salt (I think). There’s no fake stuff or weird, unpronounceable, filling-type ingredients. Have you found that the brand of pumpkin you use in your recipes makes the difference in the flavor?? Let me know.
Thanks.
ka

Allison November 19, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I can’t even begin to describe how incredible your holiday recipes look! I really want to try quinoa dish as well as the pumpkin pie brownie dessert! I was actually thinking about making a homemade pumpkin pie using a real pumpkin. Just learned from Alton Brown last night on Food Network! Time consuming, but not too hard, I hope! Thanks for all your great recipes!

jennifer November 20, 2010 at 12:35 am

I made the white bean soup tonight for a dinner party!! everyone loved it!! and once its gone, ill be making your holiday soup!! thank you for the amazing recipses!!

jennifer November 20, 2010 at 12:35 am

recipes**

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace November 22, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Your soups, just like everything else you cook and bake, always seem to make my mouth water. :0) Yummy! I will have to try this soup. The hubby isn’t much of a bean eater, in fact, not at all. but he may like this since the beans are pureed.

I am at work in Allen, TX. and the weather currently here is:
78.8% F
64% Humidity
3mph winds with wind gusts up to 14 mph
Very cloudy and gloomy here as well. This is what happens here in North TX whenever we’re about to get a big cold spell. We’re supposed to have warm temps and rain on and off until Wed. evening and then on Thanksgiving day, the highs will be in the 40’s. EEEK!

That’s TX for you, one day hot, one day freezing! It’s almost like we don’t have a Fall. Ugh!

bitt November 25, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I just wanted to let you know there is a typo on the pecan pie brownie recipe. You kept the part in about the 2 tablespoons which really confused me until I realized you were adapting it from the cupcake recipe. Just FYI.

Christine November 27, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I made this soup this evening, and it was delicious! (I substituted Trader Joe’s low sodium vegetable broth for the water, and added more carrots, celery, and tomato.) I’m so happy to have leftovers in my fridge! Thanks for the recipe! :)

Bonnie Leary May 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm

This soup is flippin DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy July 7, 2012 at 11:08 am

I can’t wait to try this! Looks delicious. Thanks so much for your awesome website and recipes. I know it will help me on my road to eating vegan. P.S. When I click on “print recipe”, it does not format nicely like others I have printed.

Amy July 7, 2012 at 11:10 am

oh nevermind! It printed nicely in the end…just didn’t look the same as the others. I am going to leave another comment that you really can post! ;) Third times a charm!

Amy July 7, 2012 at 11:11 am

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012 at 7:36 am

Thank you Amy Im so glad to hear that!

Danielle October 3, 2012 at 7:16 am

I’m new to eating vegan and decided to give this soup a try…I can only say it was fantastic!!!! The only changes I made were adding two more pinches of saffron and about 2 tsp smoked paprika which gave it a warm, silky, smoky flavor profile that was so good I didn’t even notice there wasn’t any meat!!! The perfect meal for a chilly fall evening…thanks for the recipe!!!

Rebecca November 19, 2014 at 3:12 pm

It’s been cold in Toronto recently, so I went in search of delicious soups with beans. I’m not a vegan or vegetarian, but I love your cook book. When I googled white kidney bean and soup you’re soup was second on my list. I clicked on it immediately and knew I had to try it. I love this soup, your cook book and your website! I often refer to your website when I have any questions about cooking beans, lentils or anything else common in your recipes. I’ve given your cookbook to multiple meat eaters (but healthy eaters). They all love it. Thanks for the healthy and delicious recipies!

david June 16, 2015 at 8:11 am

Great soup! I added some Thai kitchen red curry paste not for spice but for flavour.Turned out great.

Raquel December 5, 2015 at 11:25 pm

This soups looks delicious! Do you puree 3/4 cup of the beans of 3/4 of the total amount of beans? Thanks

Toya Good November 2, 2016 at 11:35 pm

Good clean and delicious comfort food soup!

Alexina March 31, 2017 at 7:30 pm

My boyfriend and I made this soup last week. It was delicious. I recommend adding something for spice like red pepper flakes or cayenne and then squeezing fresh lemon on top. Soooo good!