Easy White Bean Soup

I just about died laughing reading all of your nicknames yesterday. And here I was thinking ‘Snitzlefritz’ was weird!

Ok, maybe Snitzlefritz is still weird…

I found it quite funny that many of your nicknames involved one of my favourite ‘food groups’

• Chickpea
  • Garbanzo
  • Hummus

Other favourites were:

• Stinky
  • Bird Breath
  • Number 1 and Number 2
  • Pie Tin

Oh, and I also found a Pinky and The Brain twin!

If you are looking for a funny read, check out the comments in yesterday’s post.

And now more soup. Because I am cold and it is gloomy outside.

Also because a lovely reader sent me this recipe and said, ‘You have to try this delicious soup!’

20101117IMG 0615 thumb   Easy White Bean Soup

Some women get excited over handbags and shoes. I tend to get excited about Heirloom tomatoes, aprons, and Rudolph mugs.

20101117IMG 0574 thumb   Easy White Bean Soup

(Ok, Ok, handbags and shoes too)

20101117IMG 0577 thumb   Easy White Bean Soup

I added some dried basil to this soup and extra garlic and it really made the flavours pop.

20101117IMG 0579 thumb   Easy White Bean Soup

3 cloves of minced garlic.

20101117IMG 0582 thumb   Easy White Bean Soup

That reminds me, I have been meaning to tell you that garlic no longer seems to really bother my stomach like it used to. I wonder why??

Puree 3/4 of the white bean mixture and set aside.

20101117IMG 0590 thumb   Easy White Bean Soup

Sautee the onions for 5 minutes, followed by the carrots for another 5.

20101117IMG 0594 thumb   Easy White Bean Soup

Add in spices, tomatoes, garlic, etc and cook for about 7-8 mins.

20101117IMG 0597 thumb   Easy White Bean Soup

Now add in the water, pureed beans, and the rest of the beans. Stir well and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

20101117IMG 0600 thumb   Easy White Bean Soup

This soup is rich and creamy and pleasing on the palate, but contains barely any fat, and of course, no cream. It is also packed with protein!

The garlic, salt, basil, and thyme really made this soup come to life so don’t skimp on them. It would also make a wonderful soup to pack for work or school lunches during the colder months.

20101117IMG 0617 thumb   Easy White Bean Soup

I’m curious…what is your weather like today? If you’d like, leave a comment and tell me the approximate temperature and conditions in your area.

Our weather today is 7C/45F, very windy, and rainy. (At least we didn’t get a snow storm like OSGMOM though!)

Jessica M November 17, 2010

Where I am at (MT), this morning at was 14 F (with a windchill of 2 F) and it snowed all night!
I’m sure you guys get a lot of similar weather!

Jessica November 17, 2010

Where in MT? I’m near Billings. I thought it was cold here (25 F) till I just read this.

Annie@stronghealthyfit November 17, 2010

That soup looks yummy! Our weather in NH is crazy today, warm, in the 50′s F, but it keeps alternating between rainy and sunny!

Tyrah November 17, 2010

After reading yesterday I forgot to add saffron to my soup last night, darn! Thanks for the inspiration, we’ll see if I remember next time…
Your nick names crack me up! I really enjoy Sketchie’s name too =)
My husband calls me Sue (which is my Mom’s name) when he catches me doing something crazy, strange, or “Momlike”. I have broken the news to her about this, and she laughs mostly ;) You’d have to know my Mom, she does and thinks some strange things….I however do not. ;D Off to have a chuckle at the comments from yesterday… have a great one!
It is currently sunny, bit windy and 54 here in Michigan.

Melanie November 17, 2010

It’s overcast in Chicago, too. It’s about 48 degrees F right now, but actually doesn’t feel too bad!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 17, 2010

Yum yum!! I made a really similar soup recently and added barley to it – sticks to my ribs for sure!! This is definitely a great recipe for crappy-weather days like today. :)

Kathryn November 17, 2010

It is BIZZARE here in NorCal we’ve had 70-75 F days this week. I really want it to be cold and gloomy (I’m a freak I love cold rainy snowy weather – I think because I was born in the mountains in December in the worst winter in 100 years – it’s how I came into the world!).

I’m ready to use the fireplace, wear my super cute lulubomber jacket, and stomp around in some rain puddles! I’ve been fighting the weater and eating soup anyway though :)

Amy B. November 17, 2010

I love this recipe. I make a similiar soup except I add kale to it :)

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen November 17, 2010

It’s crazy in Boston today! It’s currently 62 degrees! Nuts! That soup looks amazing though – adding it to my wish-to-make list.

Andrea Sale November 17, 2010

Can’t WAIT to try this tonight! Thanks for the great post :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 17, 2010

That soup looks delicious! I actually just got home from work — I left early because I am ill and soup is just what I need. Do you want to drive down to Minnesota and drop off some of that soup? :)

It has been in the low 50s here in MN — we got 8-10 inches of snow last weekend, lots of it has melted already. More is on the way this weekend I believe!

Vanessa November 17, 2010

I’m in Saskatoon and it’s -15 C with the wind chill and it’s snowing. It’s supposed to be colder by the weekend. I’m not used to it yet!

Jazz November 17, 2010

I’m in Saskatoon too! Did you see the -22 for saturday! yikes!

Laura @ Backstage Pass November 17, 2010

Mmm, this soup sounds great. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
The weather today in Milwaukee, Wisconsin = 53ª and overcast. No complaints here!

Tamara November 17, 2010

Sunny and 60 here in the Detroit area, which I was not expecting. I know a cold front is coming our way though, based on Melanie’s report about the Chicago weather!

Allison November 17, 2010

That soup looks amazing!!!!! And even though there is a high of 73 here in florida, i totally want this for dinner!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 17, 2010

It’s super rainy and gross in Ottawa.
We had such a nice few days – of course it couldn’t last! I have my fingers crossed for the weekend, as I desperately want to get another hike in before winter.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010

i know last week’s weather was a dream!

Leanne November 17, 2010

I was wondering if you have any advice on how to chop onions without crying like a mad-woman??? I’d love to make this recipe but I hate how onions make my eyes feel like they’re on fire!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010

I dont….tears POUR from my eyes!!!!

One thing that sort of works is running the cold water while chopping, it helps, but doesnt cure it for me.

Jessica November 17, 2010

chew gum while you’re cutting!

Jes November 17, 2010

I learned this trick when working at Subway. As soon as I start to tear up, I stick my head in the freezer (seems odd, i know). Something about the cold air counteracts the effects of the onions for me… Hope this might help!

T November 17, 2010

I use one of those hand choppers to cut onions. Mine is from Pampered Chef and works great. I don’t really like onions so I like to use the chopper to cut them really small so I don’t bite into chunks of onion. I’ve also seen onion glasses, the frame has foam around it so your eyes aren’t exposed to onion-air, ha ha.

Lisa November 17, 2010

I usually use sweet onions like Vidalia or Texas sweets. They don’t make u cry.

Megan @ MegGoesNomNom November 17, 2010

It’s a gorgeous 52 degree, sunny November day here in Ann Arbor, MI. Lovin’ it!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 17, 2010

It’s 70-75F and Sunny. Basically, warm and nice :) That is the HUGE perk of living in southern california this time of year. Better get something outta the deal considering the taxes, cost of living, housing costs, etc…at least we get great weather!! :)

The soup looks awesome! Garlic not bothering your tummy? That’s great! It could just mean your gut is healthier now than it used to be..maybe b/c you take probiotics, eat other fermented foods, or are just healthier in general overall :)

Sara November 17, 2010

It’s never fair to play the “what’s the temp there” game with someone from San Diego, but it’s not that ridiculous today – just 67 F (19 C), partly cloudy. Perfect cardigan weather, if you ask me! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010

hehe soooo true

Jennie November 17, 2010

It’s -10C (-15 with the wind chill!) in South West Saskatchewan. Luckily we didn’t get the 12-18 cm of snow that some places along the #1 Highway got!

Allison @ Food for Healing November 17, 2010

In Saskatchewan it is cold, cloudy and windy. Supposed to get more snow tonight and into tomorrow, not as much as southern sask or alberta thank goodness.. Yet.
Temps have been staying around -10C/13F at the highest, gross, nights are getting down into the -20C’s. But thats all i can expect for Saskatchewan!

I need to make a batch of soups and chili asap for the winter.

Emily November 17, 2010

60 degrees F here in South Carolina. It was rainy and gloomy here yesterday, so the sunshine today is quite welcome!

That soup looks delicious! I’ve been on a white bean kick lately so this is headed straight to the top of my ‘must make’ list.

Melissa November 17, 2010

Today in Memphis, TN, we have a high of 63F and a low of 43F. We have a beautiful clear blue sky, but we’re supposed to get rain tonight… I love nighttime storms because it’s so soothing to listen to the rain as I fall asleep.

Shanna November 17, 2010

Is it weird that I wish I had your weather? We are at 71deg F and that’s just too warm for November.

(near SF)

LizLivingVegan November 17, 2010

Yum! Soup is like my favorite thing ever when the weather is cold and dreary!!! This recipe looks great :) I can’t wait to try it!

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition November 17, 2010

That is so weird that your question was about the weather today! I am in upstate NY and it is gloomy! But it is so much a part of how I will remember my school that I devoted an entire blog post to it today! I suppose we are just on the same blogging wavelength or something! :)

Your soup look delicious as always. Perfect for weather like today!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) November 17, 2010

I live in Alaska, and it is definitely winter here! Snow on the ground and 7 degrees!! (dislike!)

Aimee November 17, 2010

The weather has been so strange today in Western Massachusetts. It was balmy and rainy when I left work this morning at 7am. It is currently 61 degrees and partly cloudy with specks of sunlight peeking out of the clouds.

That soup looks so delicious. I love the addition of the pureed beans. Can’t wait to try it.

Erin November 17, 2010

-13 and snowing for the 2nd day in a row in Calgary :)

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) November 17, 2010

That soup sure does look delicious! Perfect thing for a cold day, which are few and far between around here. Today is

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) November 17, 2010

That soup sure does look delicious! Perfect thing for a cold day, which are few and far between around here. Today the high is 85 degrees! I would love some sweater weather right about now. ;)

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous November 17, 2010

69 and partly cloudy. Howdy from Texas!

Beth @ bethcooks November 17, 2010

It’s gorgeous here today! 65 and sunny in Atlanta…
I love white bean soups. I usually make them with bacon, but i could go without on this one!

Jaime November 17, 2010

68 and clear skies in Orange County. Waiting for soup weather!

Jana November 17, 2010

41 F in Omaha, Nebraska today. Gloomy and windy, typical for the middle of November. The most exciting news here for the last week is that we got our very first Trader Joe’s store. : )

Jenny November 17, 2010

It’s 65 degrees in Boston right now; so unusually warm!! I suppose it’s all relative :)

kelly November 17, 2010

It’s 43 degrees here Northern Illinois and gloooomy and damp. Yuck!

Little Aspects November 17, 2010

24′C and a few clouds – pretty much perfect here in Sydney, Australia! But last weekend was HOT (32′C) – summer is definitely on its way! Not soup weather for us – salads and BBQs (though your soups look really yummy!)

Charlie November 17, 2010

Here it is 11C/52F, raining. Soup sounds so good (and this one looks delicious). Lucky me, I already have leftover soup waiting for me :).

Krystina (Basil & Wine) November 17, 2010

That tomato is beyond gorgeous. Love this recipe. :)

Page 1 of 41234»