Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Thank you for your comments on my Project Food Blog video post. It is always a vulnerable feeling being on camera, but thank you for embracing my inner dork. ;)

Voting for Challenge #7 is now open. Thank you for your support!

I also heard from a few of you who have already made the Peppermint Walnut Blondies and really enjoyed them!

Wow…that was fast. ;) Out of the 4 flavours the Peppermint Walnut Crunch Blondies were my favourite and second place goes to the Apple Streusel Butternut.

A few housekeeping notes:

• There are two sets of blondie directions in the PDF file- one for the jar (on recipe cards) and one if you are simply making them at home. Check out the PDF here.
  • The new holiday Delight Glo Bar goes on sale tomorrow at noon EST in the shopping cart. Limited quantities will be available.
  • I am testing a couple print functions for my recipes due to many of you requesting this feature. Please stay tuned!

In other news, meet my new holiday tea mug from Whole Foods…

20101115IMG 0504 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Rudolph and I are going to get along great this season, I can already tell…

20101115IMG 0503 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Along with my festive mug of tea, I make an equally festive bowl of Red Quinoa this morning! I also may or may not have played Christmas music…

20101115IMG 0468 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

I absolutely love Red Quinoa and I haven’t had it in my pantry for a long time. I finally remembered to pick some up at Bulk Barn the other day and boy was I ever glad I did!

20101115IMG 0478 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Compared to white quinoa, red quinoa has more of an earthier flavour. I like to slightly undercook red quinoa to give it a chewier texture too. Quinoa is also a complete protein (12-18%), digests easily, and is a good source of fibre, magnesium, and iron!

It also makes a fun breakfast.

20101115IMG 0477 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Your lovely ingredients…(plus maple syrup that was not on the scene yet!)

20101115IMG 0477 thumb1   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Mmmmm.

20101115IMG 0486 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Add your toppings…

20101115IMG 0490 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Whatever you desire!

20101115IMG 0491 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Now enjoy your comforting and festive breakfast bowl with a hot beverage. A great way to change up a regular bowl of oatmeal on those chilly mornings.

I’m off to prepare Glo Bar shipments for tomorrow morning and then Eric and I are going to a movie later. What should we see? :) Anyone see any good movies lately?

It has been so long since we have seen a movie! I don’t even know what is playing now…

Gail November 15, 2010

I LOVE your mug. It looks a lot like a stuffed reindeer I had as a teenager. I wonder if my mom still has it.

Wait for Harry Potter!!!! Love those movies (and books). Otherwise, I couldn’t help ya. I haven’t been to the movies since Star Trek came out.

Leah @ Why Deprive? November 15, 2010

I saw Morning Glory this weekend, it was really cute! I loved it!

That mug is adorable, I had a hard time keeping myself from buying all new Christmas dishes this weekend. Home Sense is bad news this time of year! :)

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner November 15, 2010

Wow, that looks delicious! I love quinoa but have never considered dressing it up for breakfast. I do like to experiment with grains to replace boring oatmeal. I find that if you add cinnamon to almost any grain, it makes a suitable breakfast. Bulgar is another good one!

Ashley November 15, 2010

Too funny!! I made a quinoa breakfast bowl a few days ago and it’s going to be the next post I do for the City Sports blog. I have made them a few times in the past. Such a fun switch from oatmeal. I love cooking it in coconut milk. Yummmm The red quinoa is definitely pretty!!!

Katy (The Singing Runner) November 15, 2010

I really want to try the Peppermint Walnut Blondies ASAP! :)

I’ve never thought of quinoa as a breakfast food but I will have to try it! :)

stacey-healthylife November 16, 2010

I voted, best of luck.

Pam landy November 16, 2010

I hope you didn’t go see Hereafter…the previews made it look like it could be really good…sadly it was awful, slow, and the ending made you say…”really I just sat for almost 3 hours for that?!”

JL goes Vegan November 16, 2010

I’ve yet to try quinoa for breakfast. I need to!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 16, 2010

I love quinoa for breakfast. So yummy!

Emily November 16, 2010

We broke out our holiday mugs this week :) I wanted to completely decorate my house but I held back. A few more weeks :) We saw Due Date and it was absolutely ridiculous, funny, but ridiculous. I heard Red is really good too.

leatitia November 16, 2010

We saw Unstoppable this weekend and really enjoyed it! :)

Halley (Blunder Construction) November 16, 2010

Red quinoa is perfect for holiday dishes too. I see it with something festive & green, maybe some white beans. :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 16, 2010

I always buy white quinoa – I didn’t know red quinoa has a different taste!

It has been so long since I’ve seen a movie. I think the last one I saw in theatres may have been Letters to Juliet this summer. It was a little cheesy, but pretty cute.

Jenny November 16, 2010

Looks yummy! I’ve yet to try Quinoa! It’s a must.

Annie@stronghealthyfit November 16, 2010

I love red quinoa! Still need to try it as a breakfast item. I haven’t been to the movies in forever either, and don’t even know what’s playing! Hope you find something good.

Amber K November 16, 2010

I have never tried red quinoa, it looks pretty!

Sabina November 16, 2010

Ah, Bulk Barn, how I adore you! You fill my pantry and don’t break the bank. You have evolved to have a great selection of healthy and gluten-free products. Je t’aime! Je t’aime! :-)

I tried cooking a mixture of red and regular quinoa in my rice cooker and it was a flop. Each grain requires a different cooking time and some (can’t recall which colour) were undercooked, while the others were perfectly cooked.

Fanta November 16, 2010

I’ve never tried the red quinoa just the other. I’ll have to give it a shot now, especially since you make it look so delicious. This was a recent special ingredient on the show Chopped! And the one gal who cooked it right got booted :(

Have a great day :)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing November 16, 2010

I reaaally want to see Morning Glory! I know it didn’t get the best reviews but it does look like a good bit of lighthearted fun. Plus, Rachel McAdams is from London, ON – so you have to support your fellow Canadians, right?? :)

Moni'sMeals November 16, 2010

Great breakfast and snack idea!

I also have out my Christmas Mug! Yippeee! Already have the Soy Nog too. :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] November 16, 2010

that mug is SO cute! I want a cute Christmas mug!

Jacquelynn November 16, 2010

Hey Angela! I thought you might be interested (if you didn’t already know about it) that on thekindlife.com, Alicia posted about the Earth Balance baking contest… you should DEF enter… I made your cranberry blondies last night, and they were great. All of your recipes I have made have been great (except the walnut lentil burgers, but that was operator error) :)

Have a great day!

jodye @ 'scend food November 16, 2010

Your quinoa bowl looks simply delectable. I remember the first time I had quinoa for breakfast.. it was glorious! I’m also a big fan of wheat berries for breakfast. They just taste so warm and comforting. On another note, I absolutely love your rudolph mug. Getting into the holiday season is so fun!

Roz November 16, 2010

I’ve never had quinoa for breakfast, but I’m going to give it a go! Good luck with the video, hope you get lots of votes!

Mel November 16, 2010

I wanted to write a comment because I feel I dont compliment on blogs as often I should, just lurk around and post the occasional competition entry. So here goes.

Im a lazy cook, I love it but I hate anything elaborate and for aaages I denied cooking your foods because of your excellent photography your foods often come across as gourmet or too posh for everday cooking. So one day I decided enough was enough..I couldnt spend my life dreaming of making your chilli, I had to do it. And I did. I wont deny, I would alter for my taste preference but it made me realise how easy but amazing your recipes were.

As a recent convert to Vegan its been hard but your recipes have been so easy for me now, also Its taught me not to be afraid cooking with spices..she says as making soul southing quiona curry. Ok I dont find curry spicey but you get what I mean.

I’ve also been inspired to try running and competeing. I do bellydancing but I feel I want something phsyically toning and energetic. My only love is that you make more portable cereals. I start work at 6am in the morning and by the time breakfast comes Im famished but cant make hot food, all the canteen has that is vegan is toast..and thats probably questionable. But I dont bring my own table so this is where I fall off my vegan bandwagon and why Im always feeling ill. Have sympathy and get in the kitchen ;P

So yes..what was I intending to write after all this. Yes, your recipes are perfect.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010

Thank you so much for your nice comment! :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In November 16, 2010

I really want to see Waiting for Superman!

Leigh November 17, 2010

Hello Angela! I’m new to your blog and I’m loving every minute of it! I was reading the “Project Snow” entry and am committing myself to that this winter! I’m curious where you got your brown coat and boots that you wore in those pictures?! They are perfect for the New York winters!
Happy blogging :)
Leigh

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010

I thin the coat is from Jacob a long time ago and I got the boots about 10 years ago or longer so I am not sure. They finally got sent to salvation army!

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace November 17, 2010

Loving the print push button, it works and goes straight to my printer!

Gina November 17, 2010

I’ve had a box of red quinoa in my cabinet for a few months now and have been looking for a great recipe to use it with! Thanks Angela :)

Jackie November 17, 2010

Can you reheat cooked Red Quinoa for this recipe? I have some leftover and would love to use it in a warm cereal.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010

ive never reheated red quinoa before…maybe add a splash of milk to it to prevent it from drying out :)

Jackie November 18, 2010

reheating Quinoa in microwave (30 seconds) and adding steamed Almond milk worked great! loved this recipe! :)

Gloria November 28, 2010

I made this for breakfast today! The only thing I did differently was add half a banana in the pot to cook, and topped it off with the other banana half, plus a chopped date and a tablespoon of natural crunchy peanut butter mmmm :)

Also, I’ve been a baking machine lately… So far, I’ve made your pumpkin butter swirl bread, cherry banana coconut butter bread and your dark chocolate peppermint cookies! They’re all delicious. Thank you :D

Page 2 of 2«12