Mandarin & Maple Spiced Quinoa with Cranberries, Apricots, and Almonds

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 11, 2010

Happy Remembrance Day :)

I attended a beautiful ceremony this morning and it was such a great reminder to be thankful for everything and everyone in my life and also those who serve our country. Remembrance Day never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

I must tell you, there is a reason for all of my pumpkin recipe madness as of late.

I have been testing out ideas for Project Food Blog Challenge #8 in case I advance to the next round. The challenge is to feature a sweet or savoury baked good with pumpkin.

Hence, the slew of pumpkin recipes on my blog lately!

The good news is, I have now decided on my pumpkin idea for challenge #8 so I am going to do a bit of a ‘pumpkin detox’ . Don’t expect to see much pumpkin around this neck of the woods for a while.

But, just in case you are desperate for some pumpkin recipes, I thought I would round them up for you…

Some of my Pumpkin Recipes:

Pumpkin Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

Gingerbread Pumpkin Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait

Comforting Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Spiced Up & Stacked Pumpkin Butter Pancakes

Pumpkin Spice Lattes

Pumpkin Pie Baked Breakfast Cake

I think there are support groups for people like me.

In other news, I threw together some fun ingredients for lunch today and I had a lovely dish in under 30 minutes. Of course, that was after a huge flop (from a cookbook!), but I won’t get into that. This post is all about the love, sweet, love.

20101111-IMG_0321

Mandarin & Maple Spiced Quinoa with Cranberries, Apricots, and Almonds

Chewy, crunchy, and subtly sweet, this dish captures Autumn all in one delicious spot.

Adapted from ED&BV.

• 1-2 tbsp pecans, chopped & toasted
  • 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt, to taste
  • Cinnamon + maple syrup + sea salt, to garnish before serving

Directions: Add your quinoa, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, and mandarin juice. Bring this mixture to a boil and then reduce to low and simmer for about 12-13 minutes. Now stir in your chopped dried apricots and cranberries. Cook on low, covered, for another 5 minutes. Stir in your oil, almonds, and maple syrup. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Stir in the mandarin oranges very gently. Pour into a bowl and garnish with chopped pecans, a drizzle of maple syrup, cinnamon, and sea salt. Makes about 2.5-3 cups.

20101111-IMG_0315

Don’t be alarmed at the brown dried apricots. They are organic and are naturally this shade.

20101111-IMG_0292

Dried apricots that are orange in colour have been treated with sulphites.

First, add your quinoa, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, and mandarin juice. Bring this mixture to a boil and then reduce to low and simmer for about 12-13 minutes.

20101111-IMG_0308

Now stir in your chopped dried apricots and cranberries.Cook on low, covered, for another 5 minutes.

20101111-IMG_0312

Stir in the mandarin oranges very gently.

20101111-IMG_0324

Voila! A fun and unique Fall inspired dish.

20101111-IMG_0330

Not only is it quick and easy, but it tastes fresh and light, with a hint of sweetness from the fruit and maple. It also has a wonderful crunchy and chewy texture thanks to the almonds, pecans, and dried fruit. I give it two thumbs up.

20101111-IMG_0332

I would guess that it can be adapted quite easily too with whatever ingredients you have on hand. You can experiment with different types of dried fruit and nuts and even different grains. I also think it would be delicious with toasted quinoa or millet and it could even be served as a breakfast dish in addition to a lunch or dinner dish! In fact, I think I might heat some up for breakfast tomorrow. Mmmmm. Fall breakfasts are fun.

Gwen~healthymamma November 11, 2010 at 7:18 pm

No worries, my pumpkin support group meets every thursday, bring coffee ;)
You can never ever have to much pumpkin, it’s so versatile and wonderful! I can’t wait to dive into some of your recipes, thanks for highlighting them!
Oh, and as for the quinoa recipe, spectacular, I love quinoa and these flavors are so wonderful! Looks like breakfast tomorow!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I’ll be there with coffee and pumpkin scones in tote!

Oh wait, can I bring pumpkin scones with me to a meeting? ;)

Gwen~healthymamma November 12, 2010 at 12:39 pm

bring em through the back door… and enough for me! ;)

Ashley (Taste For Healthy) November 11, 2010 at 7:37 pm

This dish looks delicious! And it looks like it would travel well… an excellent idea for the next family reunion picnic!

Ann Claire November 11, 2010 at 7:52 pm

My goodness that’s a lot of pumpkin recipes! and man oh man that quinoa looks amazing!!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) November 11, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Oh that’s definitely a unique dish! I’d be down to try it, though. Looks like all the textures would be really good together :) I might also have a costco sized bag of quinoa to go through…

erica November 11, 2010 at 7:58 pm

that looks so good! i love quinoa but i had to stop eating it…everytime i ate it i would get really bad stomach cramps. i wonder why that is?

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad November 11, 2010 at 8:04 pm

This would definitely make a delicious breakfast. I need to try quinoa instead of oats for an added protein punch.

Katy @ A Healthy Shot November 11, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I wish I would have seen this about 15 minutes ago! I just had a big bowl of quinoa for dinner with tomatoes, basil and avocado. I was going to ask if this dish was breakfast or dinner but it looks like you’re using it for both! I think I’ll have to try it tomorrow :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 11, 2010 at 8:10 pm

i can’t wait to hit up the store for some mandarin oranges now…holy yum!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 11, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I love anything made with quinoa – so good!

Faith @ lovelyascharged November 11, 2010 at 8:28 pm

So I knew I’d been seeing a LOT of pumpkin but not until I looked at that list did I realize quite how much! Can’t wait to see your final entry – if those were your “nays”, your “yay” must be impressive!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 11, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I wish I had some mandarins and maple syrup so that I could make this for breakfast in the morning! And yes, I think there are probably support groups for people with pumpkin obsessions. I certainly belong in one! If not, let’s create one called Pumpkinaholics Anonymous – except it would be less like therapy and more like a big blogger meet-up!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' November 11, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Holy moly!! That is a LOT of pumpkin recipes, lady! I wouldn’t blame you if you avoided pumpkin for a while, either! (though, I am grateful for all of your experimentation– we get to reap the benefits in the form of tasty recipes!)

That quinoa dish looks delicious, and perfect for a chilly day!

stacey-healthylife November 11, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Wow that’s a long glorious list of pumpkin recipes.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) November 11, 2010 at 8:50 pm

YUM. Quinoa is my favorite grain! Have you ever made it in the rice cooker ? I like making a huge batch and then freezing it in individual servings for later ;)

Moni'sMeals November 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Holly Pumpkin Explosion!

Looks like my collection too-I have so many Pumpkin treats/meals/soups!

The will be a great leftover meal tommmorow, it looks really good. :)

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow November 11, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Pumpkin explosion is right!!!! Incredible!

Bridget November 11, 2010 at 9:05 pm

My grandpa is a veteran, so I always make sure to have a moment of silence on rememberance day to think of him and all those who served.

Ohhh pumpkin…. I definately think there needs to be a group for PA meetings – Pumkinholics anonymous! I think all food bloggers would belong to that haha :)
Can’t wait for your next project food blog post! I know it’s gonna be great!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) November 11, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Wow, that’s a lot of pumpkin! This page is definitely bookmarked for the future. :)

Shanna, like Banana November 11, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Totally need to try a sweet quinoa dish..mine are always savory!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss November 11, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I’m with Shanna! I’ve never tried a sweet quinoa dish!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 11, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Never can have enough pumpkin!

Wei-Wei November 11, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I never would have thought of those flavour combinations – it sounds amazing! (Also, word count of pumpkin on this page: 50.)

Andi Murray November 11, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I just made the sun-kissed PB cookies… possibly the most amazing thing I have ever made.

Why don’t you have a cookbook?!?

Sally November 11, 2010 at 9:53 pm

THANK YOU for this recipe – it’s just what I have been looking for!! I have been lusting over a curried quinoa salad from the salad bar at Whole Foods and this looks perfect.

Allie (Nutty FlexitALLIEan) November 11, 2010 at 9:58 pm

“I think there are support groups for people like me”- I feel the same way :-P. <3 Pumpkin

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm

u can join too!

Jazz November 11, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Mmmm, I love quinoa and fruit mixes, I always dump it on top of some spinach for lunch at work!

Tiffany November 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Haha! That is A LOT of pumpkin! New recipe looks great too and your recipe page is coming along quite nicely I might add. :)

Christine November 11, 2010 at 10:59 pm

This is perfect–I love the idea of sweet quinoa for breakfast! I just made a giant pot of quinoa for dinner tonight (didn’t realize that 1.5 cups of quinoa would be enough to feed your whole pumpkin support group) and stirred in some roasted acorn squash at the end. I didn’t season it yet, so I’ll set aside some to drizzle with maple syrup and top with nuts and dried cranberries for breakfast tomorrow. Yum, can’t wait til morning.

Cara Craves... November 11, 2010 at 11:16 pm

That’s a whole lotta pumpkin recipes…I look forward to trying some of them out.
Sometimes I need the reminder, so thanks for posting them all again.

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 12, 2010 at 1:55 am

ooooo doll….this is my kind of quinoa! Before i knew quinoa could be savoury I only ate it for breakfast! It was strange for me to have it for din-dins!

Love it!

xxoo

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 12, 2010 at 2:24 am

I made your gingerbread with butter cream today, and your pumpkin pie brownies – I am waiting until tomorrow to try them because we are having friends over for a dinner party!!! I will let you know how they are!!! They look and smell ridiculously good, and I cannot wait to dig in!

Olya November 12, 2010 at 4:26 am

Ooohh. I’ll have to make this dish one day (soon)!

Clare November 12, 2010 at 6:53 am

Yum; I could live on Quinoa. There’s a recipe JUST like this one in my favourite cookbook; Dreena Burton’s Eat, Drink and Be Vegan (and I have eaten it for breakfast…the quinoa, not the cookbook)

Clare November 12, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Glad you added the “adapted from”. The ingredient quantities are just too similar for it to have been a coincidence. I made this yesterday so I knew it sounded familiar.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 12, 2010 at 7:41 am

Oh wow this looks amazing! I definitely have to make this. I’ve never seen fresh mandarins at my grocery store though. I usually hate using canned fruit, but hopefully I’ll be able to find some natural/additive-free canned mandarins for this!

PS. I might have to join you at that pumpkin support group. ;)

Tina November 12, 2010 at 7:59 am

This sounds so yummy! It has some of my favorite components: mandarian oranges, dried cranberries & almonds (specifically tamari toasted almonds). This combo make the perfect dish! Enjoy your weekend! :)

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 12, 2010 at 8:06 am

Yum! That sounds like the perfect fall meal. I always just make quinoa plain as a side dish but after seeing this recipe I want to start experimenting with it more. Thanks for all of the pumpkin recipes! Those will satisfy my pumpkin cravings for a while :)

Jenny November 12, 2010 at 8:57 am

Your recipes are always so good! I love it! I will have to try this one soon:)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 12, 2010 at 9:07 am

Oh I love quinoa! I think this would make a great breakfast dish too!

Jenny November 12, 2010 at 9:22 am

Not to throw another pumpkin idea in your face…..but my husband and I just got back from Jamaica and we had the most amazing snack every day on the beach. Sweat potato chips and a spicy pumpkin humus.
The humus was to die for…..cool and creamy but with a nice spicy kick. The resort also had a great pumpkin veggie juice that tasted amazing too. – like fall in a glass.
Two more ideas for when you’re ready to face the orange beast again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2010 at 5:22 pm

YUM!!!!!! What great ideas!

Camille November 12, 2010 at 9:29 am

Gorgeous!
I like that pumpkin is the challenge for PFB! Very fun :)

skinnyrunner November 12, 2010 at 9:30 am

wow that is a lot of pumpkin recipes. i thought i was special because i have 2 cans in my pantry!

jenna November 12, 2010 at 10:05 am

this looks amazing angela! i bet the mandarin oranges are wonderful with quinoa~

Megan (Braise The Roof) November 12, 2010 at 10:11 am

I never knew that about the color of apricots- thanks for sharing! The salad looks great and I bet it would be great with some scallions or chives mixed in for even more flavor contrast. (I may be addicted to oniony goodness, though, so do with that what you will :) )

KatieM~Run For The Bikini! November 12, 2010 at 11:01 am

Love mandarin oranges!

[email protected] November 12, 2010 at 11:06 am

Oh man that looks SO good! I’m not a big fan of mandarin oranges, though. Too squishy.

Amber K November 12, 2010 at 11:48 am

So…many…pumpkin…recipes! I LOVE IT! :)

Jen November 12, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Last night I made your maple baked beans AND the butternut squash/apple casserole.
Both were a hit! Thanks!

Katie November 12, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Hi Angela,

I have a question about your breakfast cakes. Are they meant to be eaten hot out of the oven, at room temperature, or chilled in the refrigerator? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2010 at 5:21 pm

You can eat them any way you like! I think I prefered them cold if I remember correctly, but they are also good hot! generally I prefer cold oats over hot ones though…I’m weird like that!

Ashley November 12, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for this! It looks awesome. I think it would make a wonderful side dish for Christmas, actally. I also think I might try this with diced apple in lieu of the mandarin slices… hmm. Yummy either way!

Chelsea November 12, 2010 at 5:41 pm

You always have such creative recipes!! can’t wait to try this one, as well as some of your pumpkins recipes…first step buying some canned pumpkin, I’ve never actualy tried it since my Grandma makes pumpkin for pumpkin pies etc. from scratch.

Kristi Rimkus November 28, 2010 at 10:28 am

We served your quinoa salad for Thanksgiving brunch. I have one daughter that’s vegetarian and my son’s girlfriend is lactose and gluten intolerant. This was the perfect dish for them. Wonderful!

Julie December 7, 2010 at 2:45 am

I made this for dinner – yum! (although, given the sweetness, I think I would have preferred it for breakfast/brunch). I had leftovers, but not enough for a full meal, so this morning I mixed the remains with some greek yogurt and ate it cold. It was fantastic! It reminded me of overnight oats, but even better – crunchy, flavorful, creamy, perfect! Highly recommended for any non-vegans with leftovers.

andrea k June 3, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Incredibly Delicious, thank you.

Pooja April 5, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Hi, I just came across your website and I’m loving it! I’ve already bookmarked a lot of recipes for using over the next couple of weeks. I’ve been making a similar version of this recipe for some time now…with the exception of adding an avocado to the above. It definitely adds a nice touch!